Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 87 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 87 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


engaging in business on his own account. Com-
ing to Chicago in 1852, he embarked in the dr3'-
goods business on Lake Street, establishing the
house which afterwards became Field, Leiter &
Co. (now Marshall Field & Co.), from which here-
tired, in 1865, with the basis of an ample fortune,
which has since been immensely increased by
fortunate operations in real estate. Mr. Palmer
was Second Vice-President of the first Board of
Local Directors of the World's Columbian Expo-
sition in 1891.— Mrs. Bertha M. Hoiiore (Palmeri,
wife of the preceding, is the daughter of H. H.



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



413



Honore, formerly a prominent real-estate owner
and operator of Clii(af,'o. She is a native of
Louisville, Ky., where her girlhood was chiefly
spent, though she was educated at a convent near
Baltimore, Md. Later she came with her family
to Chicago, and, in 1870, was mari-ied to Potter
Palmer. Mrs. Palmer has been a recognized
leader in many social and benevolent movements,
but won the highest praise by her ability and
administrative skill, exhibited as President of the
Board of Lady Managers of the World's Colum-
bian Exposition of 1893.

PALJIYRA, a village of Macoupin County, on
the Springfield Division of the St. Louis, Chicago
& St. Paul Railway, 33 miles southwest from
Springfield ; has some local manufactories, a bank
and a newspaper. Population (1890), .505.

PAX A, an important railway center and prin-
cipal city of Christian County, situated in the
southeastern part of the County, and at the inter-
secting point of the Baltimore & Ohio Southwest-
ern, the Illinois Central and the Cleveland,
Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroads, 35
miles south by west from Decatur, and 42 miles
southeast of Springfield. It is an important ship-
ping-point for grain and has two elevators. Its
mechanical establishments include two flouring
mills, a foundry, two machine shops and two
planing mills. The surrounding region is rich in
coal, which is extensively mined. Pana has
banks, several churches, graded schools, and
three papers issuing daily and weekly editions.
Population (1880), 3,009; (1890), 5,077.

PAXA, SPRINGFIELD & NORTHWESTERN
RAILROAD. (See Baltimore * Ohio Soutli-
icesteni Railroad. )

PARIS, a handsome and flourishing city, the
county-seat of Edgar County. It is an important
railwaj' center, situated 19 miles west-northwest
of Terre Haute, 36 miles south of Danville, and
170 miles east-northeast of St. Louis. It stands
in the heart of a wealthy and populous agricul-
tural region, and has a prosperous trade. Its
industries include foundries, flour, saw and plan-
ing mills and car shops. The city has two
National banks and three daily and weekly news-
papers, besides a court house, seven churches,
graded schools, and a Normal Academy. Popu-
lation (1880), 4,373; (1890), 4,996.

PARIS & DECATUR RAILROAD. (See Terre
Haute d- Peoria Railroad.)

PARIS & TERRE HAUTE RAILROAD. (See
Terre Haute & Peoria Railroad.)

PARKS, Gavion D. A., lawyer, was born at
Bristol, Ontario County, N. Y., Sept. 17, 1817;



went to Ne%v York City in 1838, where he com-
pleted his legal studies and was admitted to the
'bar, removing to Lockport, 111., in 1842. Here
he successively edited a paper, served as Master
in Chancery and in an engineering corps on the
Illinois & Michigan Canal; was elected County
Judge in 1849, removed to Joliet, and, for a time,
acted as an attorney of the Chicago & Rock
Island, the Michigan Central and the Chicago
& Alton Railroads; was also a Trustee of the
Institution for the Deaf and Dumb at Jackson-
ville; was elected Representative in 18.52, became
a Republican and served on the first Republican
State Central Committee (1856); the same year
was elected to the State Senate, and was a
Commissioner of the State Penitentiary in 1864.
In 1873 Mr. Parks joined in the Liberal-Repub-
lican movement, was defeated for Congress, and
afterwards acted with the Democratic party.
Died, Dec. 28, 1895.

PARKS, Lawson A., journalist, was born at
Mecklenburg, N. C, April 15, 1813; learned the
printing trade at Charlotte, in tliat State ; came
to St. Louis in 1833, and, in 1836, assisted in estab-
lishing "The Alton Telegraph," but sold his
interest a few years later. Then, having offi-
ciated as pastor of Presbyterian churches for some
years, in 1854 he again became associated with
"The Telegraph," acting as its editor. Died at
Alton, March 31, 1875.

PARK RIDGE, a suburban village on the Wis-
consin Division of the Chicago & Northwestern
Railroad, 13 miles northwest of Chicago. Popu-
lation (1880), 4.57; (1890), 987.

PARTRIDGE, Charles Addison, journalist and
Assistant Adjutant-General of the Grand Army
of the Republic, w»as born in Westford, Chittenden
County, Vt. , Dec. 8, 1843 ; came with his parents
to Lake County, 111, in 1844, and spent his boy-
hood on a farm, receiving his education in the
district school, with four terms in a high school
at Burlington, Wis. At 16 he taught a winter
district school near his boyhood home, and at 18
enlisted in what became Company C of the
Ninety-sixth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, being
mustered into the service as Eighth Corporal at
Rockford. His regiment becoming attached to
the Army of the Cumberland, he participated
with it in the battles of Chickamauga and the
Atlanta campaign, as well as those of Franklin
and Nashville, and has taken a just pride in the
fact tliat he never fell out on the march, took
medicine from a doctor or was absent from his
regiment during its term of service, except for
four months while recovering from a gun-shot



414



UISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



wound received ai, Chiokamauga. He was pro-
moted successively to Sergeant, Sergeant-Major,
and commissioned Second Lieutenant of liis old
company, of which his father was First Lieviten-
ant for six months and until forced to resign on
account of impaired health. Receiving his final
discharge, June 28, 1865, he returned to the farm,
where he remained until 1869, in the meantime
being married to Miss Jennie E. Earle, in 1866,
and teaching school one winter. In 1869 he was
elected County Treasurer of Lake County on the
Republican ticket, and re-elected in 1871 ; in
January of the latter year, purchased an interest
in "The Waukegan Gazette," with which he
remained associated some fifteen years, at first as
the partner of Rev. A. K. Fox, and later of his
younger brother, H. E. Partridge. In 1877 he
was appointed, by President Hayes, Postmaster
at Waukegan, serving four years; in 1886 was
elected to the Legislature, serving (by successive
elections) as Representative in the Thirty-fifth,
Thirty-sixth and Thirty-seventh General Assem-
blies, being frequently called upon to occupy the
Speaker's chair, and, especially during the long
Senatorial contest of 1891, being recognized as a
leader of the Republican minority. In 1888 he
was called to the service of the Republican State
Central Committee (of which he had previously
been a member), as assistant to the veteran Secre-
tary, the late Daniel Shepard, remaining until
the death of his chief, when he succeeded to the
secretaryship. During the Presidential campaign
of 1892 he was associated with the late William
J. Campbell, then the Illinois member of the
Republican National Committee, and was en-
trusted by him with many important and confi-
dential missions. Without solicitation on liis
part, in 1894 he was again called to assume the
secretaryship of the Republican State Central
Committee, and bore a conspicuous and influ-
ential part in winning the brilliant success
achieved by the party in the campaign of that
year. From 1893 to 1895 he served as Mayor of
Waukegan ; in 1896 became Assistant Adjutant-
General of the Grand Army of the Republic for
the Department of Illinois — a position which he
held in 1889 under Commander James S. Martin,
and to which lie has been re-appointed by succes-
sive Department Commanders up to the present
time. Mr. Partridge's service in the various
public positions held by him, has given him an
acquaintance extending to every county in the
State.

PATOKA, a village of Marion County, on the
Western branch of the Illinois Central Railway,



15 miles south of VandaUa. There are flour and
saw mills here ; the surrounding country is agri-
cultural. Population (1890), 503.
PATTERSON, Robert Wilson, 1).D., LL.D.,

clergyman, was born in Blount County, Tenn.,
Jan. 31, 1814; came to Bond County, 111., with
his parents in 1832, his father dying two years
later ; at 18 had had only nine months' schooling,
but graduated at Illinois College in 1837 ; spent a
year at Lane Theological Seminary, another as
tutor in Illinois College, and then, after two years
more at Lane Seminary and preaching in Chicago
and at Monroe, Mich., in 1843 established the
Second Presbyterian Church of Chicago, of which
he remained the pastor over thirty years. In
1850 he received a call to tlie chair of Didactic
Theology at Lane Seminary, as successor to Dr.
Lyman Beecher, but it was declined, as was a
similar call ten years later. Resigning his pastor-
ship in 1873, he was, for several years. Professor of
Christian Evidences and Ethics in the Theological
Seminary of the Northwest ; in 1876-78 served as
President of Lake Forest University (of which he
was one of the founders), and, in 1880-83, as
lecturer in Lane Theological Seminary. He
received the degree of D.D. from Hamilton Col-
lege, N. Y., in 1854, that of LL.D. from Lake
Forest University, and was Moderator of the
Presbyterian General Assembly (N. S.) at Wil-
mington, Del., in 1859. Died, at Evanston, 111.,
Feb. 24, 1894.

PAVET, Charles W., soldier and ex-State
Auditor, was born in Highland County, Ohio,
Nov. 8, 1835 ; removed to Illinois in 1859, settling
in the vicinity of Mount Vernon, and, for a time,
followed the occupation of a farmer and stock-
raiser. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Eighti-
eth Illinois Volunteers for the Civil War, and
became First Lieutenant of Company E. He was
severely wounded at the battle of Sand Mountain^
and, having been captured, was confined in Libby
Prison, at Salisbury, N. C, and at Danville,
Va., for a period of nearly two years, enduring
great hardship and suffering. Having been
exchanged, he served to the close of the war as
Assistant Inspector-General on the Staff of Gen-
eral Rousseau, in Tennessee. He was a delegate
to the Republican National Convention of 1880,
which nominated General Garfield for the Presi-
dency, and was one of the famous "306" who
stood by General Grant in that struggle. In 1882
he was appointed by President Arthur Collector
of Internal Revenue for the Southern District,
and, in 1888, was nominated and elected State
Auditor on the Republican ticket, but was de-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



415



feated for re-election in the "land-slide" of 1892.
General Pavey has been prominent in "G. A. K. "
councils, and held the position of Junior Vice-
Commander for the Department of Illinois in

1878, and that of Senior Vice-Conimaiuler in

1879. He also served as Brigadier-General of the
National Guard, for Southern Illinois, during the
railroad strike of 1877. In 1897 he received from
President McKinley the appointment of Special
Agent of the Treasurj' Department. His home
is at Mount Vernon. Jefferson County.

PAWNEE, a village of Sangamon County, at
the eastern terminus of the Auburn & Pawnee
Railroad, 19 miles south of Springfield. The
town has a bank and a weekly paper. Popula-
tion, 300.

PAWXEE RAILROAD, a short line in Sanga-
mon County, extending from Pawnee to xVuburn
(9 miles), where it forms a junction with the
Chicago & Alton Railroad. The company was
organized and procured a charter in December,
1888, and the road completed the following year.
The cost was §101,774. Capital stock authorized,
$100,000; funded debt (1895), §50,000.

PAW PAW, a village of Lee County, at the
junction of two branches of the Chicago, Burling-
ton & Quincy Railway, 8 miles northwest of Earl-
ville. The town is in a farming region, but has
a bank and two weekly papers. Population
(1890), 850.

PAXTON, the county-seat of Ford County, is
situated at the intersection of the Chicago Divi-
sion of the Illinois Central and the Lake Erie &
Western Railroads, 105 miles south by west from
Chicago, and 49 miles east of Bloomington. It
contains a court house, two banks, six churches
and two weekly newspapers. It is also the seat
of Augustana (Evangelical Lutheran) College,
which was founded in 1860. It is an important
shipping-point for the farm products of the sur-
rounding territory, which is a rich agricultural
region Besides brick and tile-works and flour
mills, factories for the manufacture of carriages
and plows are located here. Population (1880),
1,725; (1898), 2,187.

PATSOX, a village in Adams County, 15 miles
southeast of Quincy ; the nearest railroad station
being Fall River, on the Quincy and Louisiana
Division of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railway; has one newspaper. Population (esti-
mated), 550.

PAYSOX, Lewis E., lawyer and ei-Congress-
man, was bom at Providence, R. I., Sept. 17,
1840; came to Illinois at the age of 12, and, after
passing through the common schools, attended



Lombard University, at Galesburg, for two years.
He was admitted to the bar at Ottawa in 1862,
and, in 1865, took up his residence at Pontiac.
From 1869 to 1873 he was Judge of the Livingston
County Court, and, from 1881 to 1891, represented
his District in Congress, being elei^ted as a
Republican, but, in 1890, was defeated by his
Democratic opponent, Herman W. Snow. Since
retiring from Congress he has practiced his jiro-
fession in Washington, D. C.

PEABODT, Selini Hobart, educator, was born
in Rockingham County, Vt., August 20, 1829;
after reaching 13 years of age, spent a year in a
Boston Latin School, then engaged in various
occupations, including teaching, until 1848, when
he entered the University of Vermont, graduat-
ing third in his class in 1852 ; was appointed Pro-
fessor of Mathematics and Engineering in the
Polytechnic College at Philadelphia, in 1854,
remaining three years, when he spent five years
in Wisconsin, the last three as Superintendent of
Schools at Racine. From 1865 to 1871 he was
teacher of physical science in Chicago High
School, also conducting night .schools for work-
ing men ; in 1871 became Professor of Physics and
Engineering in Massachusetts Agricultural Col-
lege, but retm-ned to the Chicago High School in
1874 ; in 1876 took charge of the Chicago Acad-
emy of Sciences, and, in 1878, entered the Illinois
Industrial University (now University of Illinois),
at Champaign, first as Professor of Mechanical
Engineering, in 1880 becoming President, but
resigning in 1891. During the World's Colum-
bian Exposition at Chicago, Professor Peabody
was Chief of the Depaitnient of Liberal Arts,
and, on the expiration of his service there,
assumed the position of Curator of the newly
organized Chicago Academy of Sciences, from
which he retired some two years later.

PEARL, a village of Pike County, on the Kan-
sas City branch of the Chicago & Alton Railroad,
14 miles west of Roodhouse. Population (1890),
928.

PEARSON, Isaac X., ex-Secretary of State, was
born at Centreville, Pa., July 27, 1842; removed
to Macomb,' McDonough County, 111., in 18.58, and
has ever since resided there. In 1872 he was
elected Clerk of the Circuit Court, and re-elected
in 1876. Later he engaged in real-estate and
banking business. He was a member of the lower
house in the Thirty-third, and of the Senate in
the Thirty-fifth, General Assembly, but before the
expiration of his term in the latter, was elected
Secretary of State, on the Republican ticket, in
1888. In 1892 he was a candidate for re-election,



416



HISTOKICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



but was defeated, although, next to Governor
Fifer, he received the largest vote cast for any
candidate for a political office on the Republican
State ticket.

PEARSON, John M., ex-Railway and Ware-
house Commissioner, born at NewburypOrt,
Mass., in 1833— the son of a ship-carpenter; was
educated in his native State and came to Illinois
in 1849, locating at the city of Alton, where he
was afterwards engaged in the manufacture of
agricultural implements. In 1873 he was ap-
pointed a member of the first Railway and Ware-
house Commission, serving four years; in 1878
was elected Representative in the Thirty-first
General Assembly from Madison County, and
was re-elected, successively, in 1880 and '82. He
was appointed a member of the first Board of
Live-Stock Commissioners in 1885, serving until
1893, for a considerable portion of the time as
President of the Board. Mr. Pearson is a life-
long Republican and prominent niember of the
IMasonic fraternity. His present home is at
Godfrey.

PEARSONS, Daniel K., M.D., real-estate oper-
ator and capitalist, was born at Bradfordton, Vt. ,
April 14, 1820; began teaching at 16 years of age,
and, at 21, entered Dartmouth College, taking a
two years' cour.se. He then studied medicine,
and. after practicing a short time in his native
State, removed to Chicopee, Mass., where he
remained from 1843 to 1857. The latter year he
came to Ogle County, 111., and began operating
in real estate, finally adding to this a loan busi-
ness for Eastern parties, but discontinued this
line in 1877. He owns extensive tracts of timber
lands in Michigan, is a Director in the Chicago
City Railway Company and American Exchange
Bank, besides being interested in other financial
institutions. He has been one of the most liberal
supporters of the Chicago Historical Society, and
a princely contributor to various benevolent and
educational institutions, his gifts to colleges, in
different parts of the country, aggregating over a
million dollars.

PECATONICA, a town in Pecatonica Township,
Winnebago County, on the Pecatonica River. It
is on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, mid-
way between Freeport and Rockford, being 14
miles from eacli. It contains a carriage factory
and a machine shop, a bank, five cliurches, a
graded school, and a weekly newspaper. Popu-
lation (1880), 1,029; (1890), 1,059.

PECATONICA RITER, a stream formed by the
confluence of two branches, both of wliich rise
in Iowa County, Wis. They unite a little north



of the Illinois State line, whence the river runs
southeast to Freeport, then east and northeast,
until it enters Rock River at Rockton. From the
headwaters of either branch to the mouth of the
river is about 50 miles.

PECK, Ebenezer, early lawyer, was born in
Portland, Maine, May 22, 1805; received an aca-
demical education, studied law and was admitted
to the bar in Canada in 1827. He was twice
elected to the Provincial Parliament and made
King's Counsel in 1833 ; came to Illinois in 1835,
settling in Chicago; served in the State Senate
(1838-40), and in the House (1840-42 and 1858-60);
was also Clerk of the Supreme Court (1841-45),
Reporter of Supreme Court decisions (1849-68),
and member of the Constitutional Convention of
1869-70. Mr. Peck was an intimate personal
friend of Abraham Lincoln, by whom he was
appointed a member of the Court of Claims, at
Washington, serving until 1875. Died, May 25,
1881.

PECK, Ferdinand Wytlie, lawyer and finan-
cier, was born in Chicago, July 15, 1848 — the son
of Philip F. W. Peck, a pioneer and early mer-
chant of the metropolis of Illinois ; was educated
in the public schools, the Chicago University
and Union College of Law, graduating from
both of the last named institutions, and being
admitted to the bar in 1869. For a time he
engaged in practice, but his father having died in
1871, the responsibility of caring for a large
estate devolved upon him and has since occupied
his time, though he has given mucli attention to
the amelioration of the condition of the poor of
his native city, and works of practical benevo-
lence and public interest. He is one of the
founders of the Illinois Humane Society, lias been
President and a member of the Board of Control
of the Chicago Athemeum, member of the Board
of Education, President of the Chicago Union
League, and was an influential factor in securing
the success of the World's Columbian Exposition
at Chicago, in 1893, serving as First Vice-Presi-
dent of the Chicago Board of Directors, Chair-
man of the Finance Committee, and member of
the Board of Reference and Control. Of late
years, Mr. Peck has been connected with several
important building enterprises of a semi-public
character, which have added to the reputation of
Chicago, including the Auditorium, Stock Ex-
change Building and others in which he is a
leading stockholder, and in the erection of which
he has been a chief promoter. In 1898 he was
appointed, by President McKinley, the United
States Commissioner to the International Expo-



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OK ILLINOIS.



4i:



sition at Paris of 1900, as successor to the late
^laj. JI. P. Haiuly, aud the success which lias
followed his discharge of the duties of that
I)osition, has demonstrated the fitness of his
selection.

PECK, Georsjre R., railway attorney, born in
Steuben County, N. Y., in 1843; was early taken
to Wisconsin, where he assisted in clearing his
father's farm; at 16 became a country school-
teacher to aid in freeing the same farm from
debt ; enlisted at 19 in the First Wisconsin Heavy
Artillery, later becoming a Captain in the Thirty-
first Wisconsin Infantry, with which he joined in
"Sherman's March to the Sea. " Returning home
at the close of the war, he began the study of
law at Janesville, spending six years there as a
student. Clerk of the Circuit Court and in prac-
tice. From there he went to Kansas and, between
1871 and '74, jjracticed his profession at Independ-
ence, when he was appointed by President Grant
United States District Attorney for the Kansas
District, but resigned this position, in 1879, to
return to general practice. In 1881 he became
(Jeneral Solicitor of the Atchison, Topeka &
Santa Fe Railroad, removing to Chicago in
1893. In 189.5 he resigned his position with the
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad to accept
a similar position with the Cliicago, Milwaukee
& St. Paul Railway Company, which (1898) he
still holds. Mr. Peck is recognized as one of tlie
most gifted orators in the West, and, in 1897, was
chosen to deliver the principal address at the un-
veiling of the Logan equestrian statue in Lake
Front Park, Chicago ; has also officiated as orator
on a number of other important public occasions,
always acquitting himself with distinction.

PECK, John Mason, D.D., clergyman and edu-
cator, was born in Litchfield, Conn.. Oct. 31, 1789;
removed to Greene County, X. Y., in 1811, where
he united with the Baptist Chuich, the same
year entering on pastoral work, while prosecuting
his studies aud supporting himself bj- teaching.
In 1814 he became pastor of a church at Amenia.
N. Y., and, in 1817, was sent west as a mission-
ary, arriving in St. Louis in the latter part of the
same year. During the next nine years he trav-
eled extensively through Missouri and Illinois, as
an itinerant preacher and teacher, finally locating
at Rock Spring, St. Clair County, where, in 1826,
he established the Rock Spring Seminary for the
education of teachers and ministers. Out of this
grew Shurtleff College, founded at Upper Alton
in 1835, in securing the endowment of which Dr.
Peck traveled many thousands of miles and col-
lected §20,000, and of which he served as Trustee



for many years. Up to 1843 hi- devoted much
time to aiding in the establishment of a tlieolog-
ic^l institution at Covington, Ky., and, for two
years following, was Corresponding Secretary and
Financial Agent of the American Baptist Publi-
cation Society, with headquarters in Philadelphia.
Returning to the West, he served as pastor of sev-
eral important churches in Jlissouri. Illinois and
Kentucky. A man of indomitable will, unflag-
ging industry and thoroughly upright in conduct,
for a period of a quarter of a century, in the early
history of the State, probably no man exerted a
larger influence for good and the advancement
of the cause of education, among the pioneer citi-
zens of all classes, than Dr. Peck. Tliough giving
his attention so con.stantly to j)reaching and
teaching, he found time to write much, not only
for the various jjublications with which he was,
from time to time, connected, but also for other
periodicals, besides publishing "A Guide for Emi-



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 87 of 207)