Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 89 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 89 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


springs and mattresses. There are also machine
shops located here. Population (1880), 2,382;
(1.890), 2,342.

PETERS, OnsloTf, lawyer and juri.st, was born
in Massachusetts, graduated at Brown Univer-
sity, and was admitted to tlie bar and practiced
law in his native State until 1837, when he set-
tled at Peoria, 111. He served in the Constitu-
tional Convention of 1847, was elected to the
bench of the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit in 1853,
and re-elected in 1855. Died, Feb. 28, 1856.



PHILLIPS, David L , journalist and politician,
was born where the town of Marion, Williamson
County, III, now stands, Oct. 28, 1823; came to
St. Clair County in childhood, his father settling
near Belleville ; began teaching at an early age,
and, when about 18, joined the Baptist Church,
and, after a brief course with the distinguished
Dr. Peck, at his Rock Spring Seminary, two years
later entered the ministry, serving churches in
Washington and other Southern Illinois counties,
finally taking charge of a church at Jonesboro.
Though originally a Democrat, his advanced
views on slavery led to a disagreement with his
church, and he withdrew ; then accepted a posi-
tion as paymaster in the construction department
of the Illinois Central Railroad, finally being
transferred to that of Land Agent for tlie South-
ern section, in this capacity visiting different
parts of the State from one end of the main line
to the other. About 1854 he became associated
with the management of "The Jonesboro Ga-
zette," a Democratic paper, which, during his con-
nection with it (some two yeai's), he made an
earnest opponent of the Kansas-Nebraska Bill.
At the Anti-Nebraska Editorial Convention
(which see), held at Decatur, Feb. 22, 1856, he
was appointed a member of their State Central
Committee, and, as such, joined in the call for the
first Republican State Convention, held at Bloom-
ington in May following, where he served as
Vice-President for his District, and was nomi-
nated for Presidential Elector on the Fremont
ticket. Two years later (1858) he was the
unsuccessful Republican candidate for Congress
in the Southern District, being defeated by John
A. Logan ; was again in the State Convention of
1860, and a delegate to the National Convention
wliich nominated Abraham Lincoln for President
the first time; waS appointed by Mr. Lincoln
United States Marshal for the Southern District
in 1861, and re-appointed in 1865, but resigned
after Andrew Johnson's defection in 1866. Dur-
ing 1862 Mr. Phillips became part proprietor of
"The State Journal" at Springfield, retaining
this relation until 1878, at intervals performing
editorial service ; also took a prominent part in
organizing and equipping the One Hundred and
Ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteers (sometimes
called the "Pliillips Regiment"), and, in 1865,
was one of the committee of citizens sent to
escort the remains of President Lincoln to
Springfield. He joined in the Liberal Republican
movement at Cincinnati in 1872, but, in 1876,
was in line with his former party associates, and
served in that year as an unsuccessful candidate



HISTORICAL Ki\(.'V('L()l'KI)IA OF ILLINOIS.'



423



for Congress, in the Springfield District, in oppo
sition to William M. Springer, earl5- the foUowinjj;'
year receiving the appointment of Postmaster
for tlie city of Springfield from President Hayes.
Died, at Springfield, June 19, 1880.

PHILLIPS, Weorge S., author, was born at
Peterborough, England, in January, 1810; gradu-
ated at Cambridge, and came to the United
States, engaging in journalism. In 184.5 he
returned to England, and, for a time, was editor
of "The Leeds Times." still later being Principal
of the People's College at HuddersHeld. Return-
ing to the United States, he came to Cook County,
and, about 1866-6H, was a writer of sketches over
the iioin dt plume of "January Searle" for "The
Chicago RepubUcau" — later was literary editor
of "The New York Sun" for several years. His
mind becoming impaired, he was placed in an
asylum at Trenton, N, J., finally dying at Slorris-
town, N, J., Jan. 14. 1889. Mr." Phillips was the
author of several volumes, chiefly sketches of
travel and biography.

PHILLIPS, Jesse J., lawyer, soldier and
jurist, was born in Montgomery County, 111,,
May 22, 1837, Shortly after graduating from the
Hillsboro Academy, he read law, and was
admitted to tlie bar in 1860. In 1861 he organized
a company of volunteers, of which he was
chosen Captain, and which was attaclied to the
Ninth Illinois Infantry. Captain Phillips was
successively advanced to the rank of Major,
Lieutenant- Colonel and Colonel; resigned on
account of disability, in August, 1864, but was
brevetted Brigadier-General at the close of the
war. His military record was excejjtionally
brilliant He was wounded tliree times at
Shiloli, and was per.sonally thanked and compli-
mented by Generals Grant and Oglesby for gal-
lantry and efficient service. At the termination
of the struggle he returned to Hillsboro and
engaged in practice. In 1860, and again in 1808,
he was the Democratic candidate for State Treas-
urer, but was both times defeated. In 1879 he
was elected to the bench of the Fifth Judicial
Circuit, and re-elected in 1885. In 1890 he was
assigned to the bench of the Appellate Court of
the Fourth District, and, in 1893, was elected a
Justice of the Supreme Court, to fill the vacancy
created by the death of Justice John M. Scholfield,
his term expiring in 1897, when he was re-elected
to succeed himself. Judge Phillips' present term
will expire in 1906.

PHILLIPS, Joseph, early jurist, was born in
Tennessee, received a classical and legal edu-
cation, and served as a Captain in the War of



1813; in 1816 was appointed Secretary of Illinois
Territory, serving until the admission of Illinois
as a State, when he became the first Chief Jus-
tice of the Supreme Court, serving until July,
1822, when he resigned, being suc^c^eeded on the
bench by John Reynolds, afterwards Governor.
In 1822 he was a candidate for Governor in the
interest of the advocates of a pro-slavery amend-
ment of the State Constitution, but was defeated
by Edward Coles, the leader of the anti-slavery
party, (See Coles, Edward, and Slavery and Slave
Laws.) He appears from the "Edwards Papers"
to have been in Illinois as late as 1832, but is
said eventually to have returned to Tennessee.
The date of his death is unknown.

PIAXKESHAWS, THE, a branch of the Miami
tribe of Indians. Their name, like those of their
brethren, underwent many mutations of orthog-
raphy, the tribe being referred to, variously, as
the "Pou-an-ke-kiahs, " the "Pi-an-gie-sliaws,"
the "Pi-an-qui-shaws," and the "Py-an-ke-
shaws." They were less numerous than the
Weas, their numerical strength ranking lowest
among the bands of the Miamis. At the time La
Salle planted his colony around Starved Rock,
their warriors numbered l.JO. Subsequent to the
dispersion of this colony they (alone of the Miamis)
occupied portions of the present territory of Illi-
nois, having villages on tlie Vermilion and
Wabash Rivers. Their earliest inclinations
toward the whites were friendly, the French
traders having intermarried witli women of the
tribe soon after the advent of the first explor-
ers. Col. George Rogers Clark experienced little
difticulty in securing their allegiance to the new
government which he proclaimed. In the san-
guinary raids (usually followed by reprisals),
which marked Western history during tlie years
immediately succeeding the Revolution, the
Piankeshaws took no part ; yet the outrages, per-
petrated upon peaceable colonists, had so stirred
the settlers' blood, that all Indians were included
in the general thirst for vengeance, and each was
unceremoniously dispatched as soon as seen. The
Piankeshaws appealed to Washington for protec-
tion, and the President issued a special procla-
mation in their behalf. After the cession of the
last remnant of the Miami territory to the United
States, the tribe was removed to a Kansas reser-
vation, and its last remnant finally found a home
in Indian Territory. (See a,\so Miamis: Weas.)

"PIASA BIRD," LEGEND OF THE. When
the French explorers first descended the Upper
Mississippi River, they found some remarkable
figures depicted upon the face of the bluff, just



424



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



above the site of the present city of Alton, which
excited their wonder and continued to attract
interest long after the country was occupied by
the whites. Tlie account given of the discov-
ery by Marquette, who descended the river from
the mouth of the Wisconsin, in June, 1673, is as
follows: "As we coasted along" (after passing
the mouth of the Illinois) "rocks frightful for
their height and length, we saw two monsters
painted on one of the rocks, which startled us at
first, and upon which the boldest Indian dare not
gaze long. They are as large as a calf, with horns
on the head like a deer, a frightful look, red
eyes, bearded like a tiger, the face somewhat
hke a man's, the body covered with scales, and
the tail so long that it twice makes the turn of
the body, passing over the head and down be-
tween the legs, ending at last in a fish's tail.
Green, red and black are the colors employed.
On the whole, these two monsters are so well
painted that we could not believe any Indian to
have been the designer, as good painters in
France would find it hard to do as well. Besides
this, they are painted so high upon the rock that
it is hard to get conveniently at them to paint
them." As the Indians could give no account of
the origin of these figures, but had their terror
even more excited at the sight of them than Jlar-
quette himself, they are supposed to have been
the work of some prehistoric race occupying the
country long before the arrival of the aborigines
whom Marquette and his companions found in
Illinois. There was a tradition that the figures
were intended to represent a creature, part beast
and part bird, which destroyed immense numbers
of the inhabitants by swooping down upon them
from its abode upon the rocks. At last a chief is
said to have ofliered himself a victim for his
people, and when the monster made its appear-
ance, twenty of his warriors, concealed near by,
discharged their arrows at it, killing it just
before it reached its prey. In this manner the
life of the chief was saved and his people were
preserved from further depredations ; and it was
to commemorate this event that the figure of the
bird was painted on the face of the cliff on whose
summit the chief stood. This story, told in a
paper by Mr. John Russell, a pioneer author of
Illinois, obtained wide circulation in this country
and in Europe, about the close of the first
quarter of the present century, as the genuine
"Legend of the Piasa Bird." It is said, however,
that Mr. Russell, who was a popular writer of
fiction, acknowledged that it was drawn largely
from his imagination. Many prehistoric relics



and human remains are said, by the late William
McAdams, the antiquarian of Alton, to have
been found in caves in the vicinity, and it seems
a well authenticated fact that the Indians, when
passing the spot, were accustomed to discharge
their arrows — and. later, their firearms — at the
figure on the face of the cliff. Traces of this
celebrated pictograph were visible as late as 1840
to 1845, but have since been entirely quarried
away.

PIATT COUNTY, organized in 1841, consist-
ing of parts of Macon and Dewitt Counties. Its
area is 440 square miles; population (1890), 17,062.
The first Commissioners were John Hughes, W.
Bailey and E. Peck. John Piatt, after whose
family the county was named, was the first
Sheriff. The North Fork of the Sangamon River
flows centrally through tlie county from north-
east to southwest, and several lines of railroad
afford transportation for its products. Its re-
sources and the occupation of the people are
almost wholly agricultural, the surface being
level prairie and the soil fertile. Monticello, the
county-seat, has a population of about 1,700.
Other leading towns are Cerro Gordo (939) and
Bement (1,129).

PICKETT, Thomas Johnson, journalist, was
born in Louisville, Ky., March 17, 1821; spent
six years (1830-86) in St. Louis, when his family
removed to Peoria ; learned the printer's trade in
the latter city, and, in 1810, began the publica-
tion of "The Peoria News," then sold out and
establislied "Tlie Republican" (afterwards "The
Transcript") ; was a member of the Anti-Nebraska
Editorial Convention held at Decatur, Feb. 22,
1856, serving on the Committee on Resolutions,
and being appointed on the State Central Com-
mittee, which called the first Republican State
Convention, held at Bloomington, in May follow-
ing, and was there appointed a delegate to the
National Convention at Philadelphia, which
nominated General Fremont for President.
Later, he published papers at Pekin and Rock
Island, at the latter place being one of the first to
name Abraham Lincoln for the Presidency ; was
elected State Senator in 1860, and, in 1862, com-
missioned Lieutenant-Colonel of the Sixty-ninth
Illinois Volunteers, being transferred, as Colonel,
to the One Hundred and Thirty-second Illinois
(100-days' men), and serving at Camp Douglas
during the "Conspiracy" excitement. After the
war. Colonel Pickett removed to Paducah, Ky.,
published a paper there called "The Federal
Union," was appointed Postmaster, and. later,
Clerk of the United States District Court, and



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLLNO



4-^''



was the Republican nominee for Congress, in tliat
District, in 187-i. Removing to Nebraska in ISTi),
he at different times conducted several papers in
that State residing for the most part at Lincoln.
Died, at Ashland. Neb., Dec. 24, 1891.

PIERSOX, David, pioneer banker, was born at
Cazenovia. N. Y., July 9, 1806; at the age of 13
removed west with his parents, arriving at St.
Louis, June 3, 1820. The family soon after set-
tled near Collinsville. Madison County, 111., where
the father having died, they removed to the vi-
cinity of Carrollton, Greene County, in 1821. Here
they opened a farm, but. in 1827, Mr. Pierson
went to the lead mines at Galena, where he re-
mained a year, then returning to Carrollton. In
1834, having sold his farm, he began merchandis-
ing, still later being engaged in the pork and
grain trade at Alton. In 18.54 he added the bank-
ing business to his dry-goods trade at Carrollton,
also engaged in milling, and, in 1862-63, erected
a woolen factory, which was destroyed by an
incendiary fire in 1872. Originally an anti-slavery
Clay Whig, Mr. Pierson became a Republican on
the organization of that party in 1856, served for
a time as Collector of Internal Revenue, was a
delegate to the National Republican Convention
at Philadelphia in 1872, and a prominent candi-
date for tlie Republican nomination for Lieuten-
ant-Governor in 1876. Of higli integrity and
unswerving patriotism, Mr. Pierson was generous
in his benefactions, being one of the most liberal
contributors to the establishment of the Langston
School for the Education of Freed men at Holly
Springs, Miss., soon after tlie war. He died at
Carrollton, May 8, 1891.— Oman (Pierson), a son
of the subject of this sketch, was a member of
the Thirty-second General Assembly (1881) from
Greene County, and is present cashier of the
Greene County National Bank at Carrollton.

FIGCiiOTT, Isaac N., early politician, was born
about 1792; served as an itinerant Methodist
preacher in Missouri and Illinois, between 181!)
and 1824, but finally located southwest of Jersey-
ville and obtained a license to run a ferry be-
tween Grafton and Alton; in 1828 ran as a
candidate for the State Senate against Thomas
Cariin (afterwards Governor) ; removed to St.
Louis in 18.58, and died there in 1874.

PIKE COUNTY, situated in the western por-
tion of the State, lying between the Illinois and
Mississippi Rivers, having an area of 795 square
miles— named in honor of tlie explorer, Capt.
Zebulon Pike The first American settlers came
about 1820, and, in 1821, the county was organ-
ized, at first embracing all the country north and



west of the Illinois River, including tlie present
county of Cook. Out of this territory were finally
organized about one fourth of the counties of the
State. Coles" Grove (now Gilead, in Calhoun
County) was the first county-seat, but the seat of
justice was removed, in 1824, to Atlas, and to
Pittsfield in 1833. The surface is imdulating, in
some portions is hilly, and diversified with prai
ries and hardwood timber. Live-stock, cereals
and hay are the staple products, while coal and
Niagara limestone are found in abundance.
Population (1880). 33,751; (1890), 31.000.

PILLSBURY, Nathaniel Joy, lawyer and
judge, was born in York County, Maine, Oct. 21,
1834; in 1855 removed to Illinois, and, in 1858,
began farming in Livingston County. He began
the study of law in 1863, and, after admission to
the bar, commenced practice at Pontiac. He
represented La Salle and Livingston Counties in
the Constitutional Convention of 1869-70, and, in
1873, was elected to the bench of the Thirteenth
Judicial Circuit. He was re-elected in 1879 and
again in 1885. He was assigned to the bench of
the Appellate Court in 1877, and again in 1879
and "85. He was severely wounded by a shot
received from strikers on the line of the Chicago
& Alton Railroad, near Chicago, in 1886, resulting
in his being permanently disabled physically, in
consequence of which he declined a re-election to
the bench in 1891

PINCKNEYVILLE, a city and the coimty-swit
of Perry County, situated at the intersection of
the St. Louis, Alton & Terre Haute and tlie
Wabash, Chester & Western Railways, 10 miles
west-northwest of Duquoiu. Coal-mining is
carried on in the immeiliate vicinity, and flour,
carriages, plows and dressed lumber are among
the manuf9,ctured jiroducts. Railway car sliops
are located liere. Pinckueyville has a bank, a
weekly newspaper, seven churches, a graded and
a high school. Population (1880), 964; (1890),
1.29N.

PITTSBURG, (IXINNATI, CHICAGO &
ST. LOUIS RAILROAD, one of the Pennsyl-
vania Company's lines, operating 1,403 miles of
road, of which 1,090 miles are owned and the
remainder leased — length of line in Illinois, 28
miles. The Company is the outgrowth of a con-
solidation, in 1890, of the Pittsburg, Cincinnati &
St. Louis Railway with the Chicago. St. Louis &
Pittsburg, the Cincinnati & Richmond and the
Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroads.
The Pennsylvania Railroad Company controls
the entire line througli ownership of stock.
Capital stock outstanding, in 1898, $47,791,601;



426



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOriiDLl OF ILLINOIS.



funded debt, $48,433,000; floating debt, $3,214,703
—total capital $98, .500, 584. — (History.) The
Chicago, St. Xouis & Pittsburg Railroad, em-
bracing the Illinois division of this line, was made
up of various corporations organized under tlie
laws of Illinois and Indiana. One of its compo-
nent parts was the Chicago & Great Eastern
Railway, organized, in 186.5, bj' consolidation of
the Galena & Illinois River Railroad (chartered
in 1857), the Chicago & Great Eastern Railway
of Indiana, the Cincinnati & Chicago Air-Line
(organized 1860), and the Cincinnati, Logans-
port & Chicago Railway. In 1869, the consoli-
dated line was leased to the Pittsburg, Cincinnati
& St. Louis Railway Company, and operated
under the name of the Columbus, Chicago &
Indiana Central between Bradford, Ohio, and
Chicago, from 1869 until its consolidation, under
the present name, in 1890. (See Pennsylvania
Railroad.)

PITTSBURtt, FORT WAYNE & CHICAGO
RAILROAD, (See Pittsburg, Fort IVayne &■ Chi-
cago Pailini;/. )

PITTSBURG, FORT WAYJiE k CHICAGO
RAILWAY, The total length of this line is
nearly 470 miles, but only a little over 16 miles
are within Illinois. It was operated by the Penn-
sylvania Railroad Comj)any as lessee. The entire
capitalization in 1898 was §53,549.990; and the
earnings in Illinois, §472,228.— (History.) The
Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway is the
result of the consolidation, August 1, 1856, of the
Ohio & Pennsylvania, the Ohio & Indiana and
the Fort "Wayne & Chicago Railroad Companies,
under the name of the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne &
Chicago Railroad. The road was opened through
its entii-e length, Jan. 1, 18,59; was sold under
foreclosure in 1861; reorganized under its present
title, in 1862, and leased to the Pennsylvania
Railroad Company, for 999 years, from July 1,
1869. (See Pennsylvania Railroad.)

PITTSFIELD, the county seat of Pike County,
situated on the Hannibal & Naples branch of the
Wabash Railway, some 40 miles southeast of
Quincy, and about the same distance south of
west from Jacksonville. Its public buildings
include a Imndsome court house and a graded
.school building. Banking facilities are furnished
by a National and one other bank; and it has
nine churches, four weekly newspapers and a
woolen factory. Population (1880), 3,104; (1890),
2,295

PLAIXFIELD, a village of Will County, on
the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railroad, 8 miles
northwest of Joliet ; is in a dairying .section ; has



a bank and one local newspaper. Population
(1880), 686; (1890), 852.

PLASO, a city in Kendall County, situated
near the Fox River, and on the Chicago, Burling-
ton & Quincy Railroad, 14 miles west-southwest
of Aurora. There is a large manufactory of
agricultural implements here. The city has
banks, several churches, graded and high schools,
and a weekly newspaper. Population (1880),
1,782; (1890), 1,835.

PLEASANT PLAINS, a village of Sangamon
County, on the Springfield Division of the Balti-
more & Ohio Southwestern Railroad. 16 miles
northwest of Springfield ; has a bank and a news-
paper; is surrounded by a rich farming region.
Population (1890), 518.

PLEASANTS, George Washington, jurist, was
born in Harrodsburg, Ky., Nov. 34, 1823; received
a classical education at Williams College, Mass. ,
graduating in 1842; studied law in New York
City, and was admitted to the bar at Rochester,
N. Y'., in 1845, establishing himself in practice at
Williamstown, Mass., where he remained until
1849. In 1851 he removed to Washington, D. C,
and, after residing there two years, came to Illi-
nois, locating at Rock Island, which has since
been his home. In 1861 he was elected, as a
Republican, to the State Constitutional Conven-
tion which met at Springfield in January follow-
ing, and, in 1867, was chosen Judge for the Sixth
(now Tenth) Judicial Circuit, liaving served by
successive re-elections until June, 1897, retiring
at the close of his fifth term— a record for length
of service seldom paralleled in the judicial his-
tory of the State. The last twenty years of this
period were spent on the Appellate bench. For
several years past Judge Pleas,ants has been a
sufferer from failing eyesight, but has been faith-
ful in attendance on his judicial duties. As a
judicial officer and a man, his reputation stands
among the highest.

PLUMB, Ralph, soldier and ex-Congressman,
was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y'. , March 29,
1816. After lea\ing school he became a mer-
chant's clerk, and was himself a merchant for
eighteen years. From New Y'ork lie removed to
Ohio, where he was elected a member of the
Legislature in 1855, later coming to Illinois.
During the Civil War he served four years in the
Union army as Captain and Quartermaster, being
brevetted Lieutenant Colonel at its close. He
made his home at Streator, where he was elected
Mayor (1881-1883). There he engaged in coal-
mining and has been connected with several
important enterprises. From 1885 to 1889 he



HISTOltlCAL ENCYCLOrEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



427



represented the Eighth Illinois District in Con-
gress, after which he retired to private life.

PLYMOUTH, a village of Hancock County, on
the Chicago. Burlington & Quincy Railway, 51
miles northeast of Quincy ; is the trade center of
a rich farming district. It has a bank and two
weekly papers. Population (1S8(I), rm-. (1890), 710.

POIXTE DE SAIBLE, Jean Baptiste, a negro
and Indian-trader, reputed to have been the first
settler on the present site of the city of Chicago.
He is said to have been a native of San Domingo,
but is described by his contemporaries as "well
educated and handsome." though dissijjated. He
appears to have been at the present site of Chi-
cago as early as 1794, his house being located on
the north side near the junction of the North and



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 89 of 207)