Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 91 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 91 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


subsequently in Wheaton College, but, in 1854,
began a special course at Oberlin, Ohio, teaching
at intervals in public schools. Having a predi-
lection for the natural sciences, he sjjent much
time in making collections, which he placed in
various Illinois institutions. Entering the army
in 1801 as a private of the Twentieth Illinois
Volunteers, he later became a Captain of the
Second Illinois Artillery, being finally promoted
Major. He lost his right arm at the battle of
Shiloli, but returned to his regiment as soon as
sufficiently recovered, and continued in active
service to the close of the war. In 1K05 he became
Professor of Geology and Curator of the JIuseum
in Illinois Wesleyan University at Bloomington,
but resigned to accept a similar position in the
State Normal University. In 1867 he began his



432



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



greatest work in connection with science by
leading a class of pupils to the mountains of
Colorado for the study of geology, which he fol-
lowed, a year later, by a more thorough survey of
the cailon of the Colorado River than had ever
before been attempted. This led to provision by
Congress, in 1870, for a topographical and geo-
logical survey of the Colorado and its tributaries,
which was appropriately placed under his direc-
tion. Later, he was placed in charge of the
Bureau of Ethnology in connection with the
Smithsonian Institute, and. again in 1881, was
assigned to the directorship of the United States
Geological Survey, later becoming Director of the
Bureau of Ethnology, in connection with the
Smithsonian Institute iu Washington City,
wliere (1899) he .still remains. In 1886 Major
Powell received the degree of Ph.D. from Heidel-
berg University, and that of LL.D. from Har-
vard the same year. He is also a member of the
leading scientific associations of the country,
while his reports and addresses fill numerous
volumes issued by the Government.

POWELL, William Henry, soldier and manu-
facturer, was born in South Wales, May 10, 1825 ;
came to America iu 1830, was educated in the
common schools of Tennessee, and (1856-61) was
manager of a manufacturing company at Iron-
ton, Ohio; in 1861, became Captain of a West
Virginia cavalry company, and was advanced
through the grades of Major, Lieutenant-Colonel
and Colonel ; was wounded while leading a charge
at Wytheville, Va. , left on the field, captured and
confined in Libby Prison six months. After ex-
change he led a cavalry division in the Army of
the Shenandoah ; was made Brigadier-General in
October, 1864 ; after the war settled in West Vir-
ginia, and was a Republican Presidential Elector
in 1868. He is now at the head of a nail mill and
foundry in Belleville, and was Commander of the
Grand Army of the Republic for the Department
of Illinois during 1895-96.

PRAIRIE CITY, a village in McDonough
County, on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy
Railroad, 25 miles south by west from Galesburg
and 17 miles northeast of Macomb. It has a
carriage factory and a large nursery ; also has a
bank, five churches and two weekly papers. Pop-
ulation (1880). 944; (1890), 812.

PRAIRIE DU PONT, (in English, Bridge
Prairie), an early French settlement, one mile
south of Cahokia. It was commenced about 1760,
located on the banks of a creek, on which was
the first mill, operated by water-power, in that
section, having been erected by missionaries



from St. Sulpice, in 1754. In 1765 the village
contained fourteen families. In 1844 it was
inundated and nearly destroyed.

PRAIRIE du ROCHER, (in English, Prairie of
the Rock), an early French village in what is
now Monroe County, which began to spring up
near Fort Chartres (see Fort Chartres), and by
1722 had grown to be a considerable settlement.
It stood at the foot of the Mississippi bluffs, about
four miles northeast of the fort. Like other
French villages in Illinois, it had its church and
priest, its common field and commons. Many of
the houses were picturesque cottages built of
limestone. The ancient village is now extinct;
yet, near the outlet of a creek which runs through
the bluff, may be seen the vestiges of a water mill,
said to have been erected by the Jesuits during
the days of French occupation.

PRENTICE, William S., Methodist Episcopal
clergyman, was born in St. Clair County, 111., in
1819; licensed as a Methodist preacher in 1849,
and filled pastorates at Paris, Danville, Carlin-
ville, Springfield, Jacksonville and other places —
the latter part of his life, serving as Presiding
Elder ; was a delegate to the General Conference
of 1860, and regularly re-elected from 1872 to the
end of his life. During the latter part of his life
his home was in Springfield. Died, June 28, 1887.

PRENTISS, Benjamin Mayberry, soldier, was
born at Belleville, Wood County, Va., Nov. 23,
1819; in 1835 accompanied his parents to Mis-
souri, and, in 1841, removed to Quincy, 111., where
he learned a trade, afterwards embarking in the
commission business. In 1844-45 he was Lieuten-
ant of a company sent against the Mormons at
Nauvod, later serving as Captain of Volunteers in
the Mexican War. In 1860 he was an unsuccess-
ful Republican candidate for Congress; at the
outbreak of the Civil War tendered his services
to Governor Yates, and was commissioned Colonel
of the Tenth Illinois Volunteers, was almost
immediately promoted to Brigadier-General and
placed in command at Cairo, so continuing until
relieved by General Grant, in September, 1861.
At the battle of Shiloh, in April following, he
was captured with most of his command, after a
most vigorous fight with a superior rebel force,
but, in 1862, was exchanged and brevetted Major-
General of Volunteers. He was a member of the
court-martial that tried Gen. Fitzjohn Porter,
and, as commander at Helena, Ark. , defeated the
Confederate Generals Holmes and Price on July
3, 1863. He resigned his commission, Oct. 28,
1863. In 1869 he was appointed by President
Grant Pension Agent at Quincy, serving four



IILSTOKICAL EXC'VCLOl'KDIA OF ILLINOIS.



133



years. At present (1898) General Prentiss' resi-
dence is at Bethany, Mo., wliere he served as
Postmaster, during the administration of Presi-
dent Benjamin Harrison, and was reappointed by
President MuKiuley.
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTORS. {See Elections.)
PRESBYTERI.VX HOSPITAL, located at Clii-
cago, was organized in 1883 by a number of
wealthy and liberal Presbyterians, "for the pur-
pose of affording medical and surgical aid to sick
and disabled persons, and to provide them, while
inmates of the hospital, with the ministrations
of the gospel, agreeably to the doctrines and
forms of the Presbyterian Church. " Rush Med-
ical College offered a portion of its ground as a site
(see Rush Medical College), and through generous
subscriptions, a well-planned building was
erected, capable of accommodating about 250
patients. A corridor connects the college and
hospital buildings. The medical staff comprises
eighteen of Chicago's best known physicians and
surgeons.

PRESBTTERIAXS, THE. The first Presby-
terian society in Illinois was organized by Rev.
James McGready, of Kentucky, in 181G, at
Sharon, White County. Revs. Samuel J. Mills
and Daniel. Smith, also Presbyterians, had visited
the State in 1814, as representatives of the Massa-
chusetts Missionary Society, but had formed no
society. The members of the Sharon church
were almost all immigrants from the South, and
were largely of Scotch-Irish extraction. Two
other churches were established in 1819 — one at
Shoal Creek, Bond County, and the other at
Edwardsville. In 182.'j there were but three
Presbyterian ministers in Illinois — Revs. Stephen
Bliss, John Brich and B. F. Spilman. Ten years
later there were 80 churches, with a membership
of 2,500 and CO ministers. In 1880 the number of
churches had increased to 487; but, in 1890, (as
shown bj' the United States census) there were
less. In the latter year tliere were 40.') ministers
and 52,945 members. The Synod of Illinois is the
highest ecclesiastical court of the denomination
in the State, and, under its jurisdiction, the
church maintains two seminaries: one (the Mc-
Cormick) at Chicago, and the other (the Black-
burn University) at Carlinville. The organ of
the denomination is "The Interior," founded hy
Cyrus H. MoCormick, and published weekly at
Chicago, with William C. Gray as editor. The
Illinois Synod embraced within its jurisdiction
(1895) eleven Presbyteries, to which were attached
483 churches, 464 ministers and a membership of
63,347. (See also Religious Denominations.)



PRICKETT, Abraham, pioneer merchant, was
born near Lexington, Ky., came to Madison
County, III., in 1808; was emploj'ed for a time in
the drug business in St. Louis, then opened a
store at Edwardsville, wliere, in 1813, he received
from the first County Court of Jladison County,
a license to retail mercliandise. In 1818, he served
as one of the three Delegates from Madison
County to the Convention which framed the first
State Constitution, and, the same year, was
elected a Representative in the First General
Assembly; was also Postmaster of the town of
Edwardsville for a nmuber of years. In 1825 he
removed to Adams County and laid out an addi-
tion to the city of Quincy; was also engaged
there in trade with the Indians. In 1836, while
engaged on a Government contract for the re-
moval of snags and other obstructions to the navi-
gation of Red River, he died at Xatcliitoches, La.
— Georg:e W. (Prickett) a son of the preceding,
and afterwards a citizen of Chicago, is said to
have been the first white child born in Edwards-
ville.— Isaac (Prickett), a brother of Abraham,
came to St. Louis in 1815, and to Edwardsville in
1818, where he was engaged in mercantile busi-
ness with his brother and, later, on his own
account. He held the offices of Postmaster, Pub-
lic Administrator, Quartermaster-General of
State Militia, Inspector of tlie State Penitentiary,
and, from 1838 to "42, was Receiver of Public
Moneys at Edwardsville, dying in 1844.

PRICKETT, David, pioneer lawyer, was born
in Franklin County, Ga., Sept. 21, 1800; in early
childhood was taken by his parents to Kentucky
and from there to Edwardsville, 111. He gradu-
ated from Transylvania University, and, in 1821,
began the practice of law ; was the first Supreme
Court Reporter of Illinois, Judge of the Madison
County Probate Court, Representative in the
General Assembly (1826 28), Aid-de-Camp to
General Whiteside in tlie Black Hawk War,
State's Attorney for Springfield Judicial Circuit
(1837), Treasurer of the Board of Canal Commis-
sioners (1840), Director of the State Bank of Illi-
nois (1842), Clerk of the HoiLse of Representatives
for ten sessions and Assistant Clerk of the same
at the time of his death, JIarch 1, 1847.

PRIXCE, David, phy.sician and surgeon, was
born in Brooklyne. Windham County, Conn.,
June 21, 1816; removed with his parents to
Canandaigua, N. Y., and was educated in the
academy there ; began the study of medicine in
the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New
York, finishing at the Ohio Medical College, Cin-
cinnati, where he was associated, for a year and a.



434



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



half, with the celebrated surgeon, Dr. Muzzy. In
1843 he came to Jacksonville, 111., and, for two
years, was Professor of Anatomy in the Medical
Department of Illinois College; later, .spent five
years practicing in St. Louis, and lecturing on
surgery in the St. Louis Medical College, when,
returning to Jacksonville in 1852, he established
himself in practice there, devoting special atten-
tion to surgery, in which he had already won a
wide reputation. During the latter part of the
Civil War he served, for fourteen months, as
Brigade .Surgeon in the Army of the Potomac,
and, on the capture of a portion of his brigade,
voluntarily surrendered himself that he might
attend the captives of his command in Libby
Prison. After the close of the war he was
employed for some months, by the Sanitary Com-
mission, in writing a medical history of the war.
He visited Europe twice, first in 1881 as a dele-
gate to the International Medical Congress in
London, and again as a member of the Copen-
hagen Congress of 1884 — at eacli visit making
careful inspection of the hospitals in London,
Paris, and Berlin. About 1867 he established a
Sanitarium in Jacksonville for the treatment of
surgical cases and chronic diseases, to which he
gave tlie closing years of his life. Thoroughly
devoted to his profession, liberal, public-spirited
and sagacious in the adoption of new methods, he
stood in the front rank of his profession, and his
death was mourned by large numbers who had
received the benefit of his ministrations without
money and without price. He was member of
a number of leading professional associations,
besides local literary and social organizations.
Died, at Jacksonville, Dec. 19, 1889.

PRINCE, Edward, lawyer, was born at West
Bloomfield, Ontario County, N. Y., Dec. 8, 1832;
attended school at Payson, 111., and Illinois Col-
lege, Jacksonville, graduating from the latter in
1852; studied law at Quincy. and after admission
to the bar in 1853, began dealing in real estate.
In 18G1 he offered his services to Governor Yates,
was made Captain and Drill-master of cavalry
and, a few months later, commissioned Lieuten-
ant-Colonel of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, tak-
ing part, as second in command, in the celebrated
"Grierson raid" through Mississippi, in 1863,
serving until discharged with the rank of Colonel
of his regiment, in 1864. After the war he gave
considerable attention to engineering and tlie
construction of a system of water-works for the
city of Quincy. where he now resides.

PRINCE, tiieorgre W., lawyer and Congres.sman,
born in Tazewell County, 111., March 4, 1854; was



educated in the public schools and at Knox Col-
lege, graduating from the latter in 1878. He
then studied law and was admitted to the bar in
1880 ; was elected City Attorney of Galesburg the
following year ; served as chairman of the Knox
County Republican Central Committee in 1884,
and, in 1888, was elected Representative in the
General Assembly and re-elected two years later.
In 1892 he was the Republican nominee for
Attorney-General of the State of Illinois, but was
defeated with the rest of the State ticket; at
a special election, held in April, 1895, he was
chosen Representative in Congress from the
Tenth District ' to fill the vacancy caused by the
death of Col. Philip Sidney Post, which had
occurred in January preceding. In common with
a majority of his colleagues, Mr. Prince was
re-elected in 1896, receiving a plurality of nearly
16,000 votes, and was elected for a tliird term in
November, 1898.

PRINCETON, a city and the county-seat of
Bureau County, on the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy Railroad, 22 miles west-southwest of
Mendota, and 105 miles west-southwest of Chi-
cago. It has a court house, gas-works, a good
system of graded schools (including a high
school), numerous churclies. three weekly news-
papers ami several banks. Coal is mined here,
and the manufactures include flour, carriages
and farm implements. Population (1880), 3.429;
(1890), 3,396. Princeton is populated with one of
the most intelligent and progressive communities
in the State. It was the home of Owen Lovejoy
during the greater part (jf liis life in Illinois.

PRINCETON & WESTERN RAILWAY. (See
Chicago



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 91 of 207)