Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 92 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 92 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cago, constituted a work of gradual development
which resulted in some of the most remarkable
achievements in the history of the nineteenth
century, both in a business sense and in promot-
ing the comfort and safety of the traveling pub-
lic, as well as in bettering the conditions of
workingmen. He lived to see the results of his
inventive genius and manufacturing skill in use
upon the principal railroads of the United States
and introduced upon a number of important lines
in Europe also. Mr. Pullman was identified with
a number of other enterprises more or less closely
related to the transportation business, but the
Pullman Palace Car Company was the one with
which he was most closely connected, and by
which he will be longest remembered. He was
also associated with some of the leading educa-
tional and benevolent enterprises about the city
of Chicago, to whicli lie contributed in a liberal
manner during his life and in his will. His
death occurred suddenly, from heart disease, at
his home in Chicago, Oct. 19, 1897.

PURPLE, Norman H., lawyer and jurist, was
born in Litchfield County, Conn. , read law and
was admitted to the bar in Tioga County, Pa.,
settled at Peoria, 111., in 1836, and the following
year was appointed Prosecuting Attorney for the
Ninth Judicial District, which then embraced
the greater portion of the State east of Peoria.
In 1844 he was a Presidential Elector, and, in
1845, Governor Ford appointed him a Justice of
the Supreme Court, vice Jesse B. Thomas, Jr.,
who had resigned. As required by law, he at the
same time served as Circuit Judge, his district
embracing all the counties west of Peoria, and
liis home being at Quincy. After the adoption of
the Constitution of 1848 he returned to Peoria and
resumed practice. He compiled the Illinois
Statutes relating to real property, and, in 1857,
made a compilation of the general laws, gener-
ally known to the legal profession as the "Purple
Statutes." He subsequently undertook to com-
pile and arrange the laws passed from 1857 to '63,
and was engaged on this work when overtaken
by death, at Chicago, Aug 9, 1863. He was a
member of the Constitutional Convention of 1862,



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



437



and, during the last ten years of his life, promi-
nent at the Chicago bar.

PUTERBAUGH, Sabin D., judge and author,
was born in Miami County, Ohio, Sept. 28, l.siU;
at 8 }-ears of age removed with hi.s parents to Taze
well County, 111; settled in Pekin in 1853, where
he read law, and was admitted to the bar in 1856.
At the outbreak of the rebellion he was commis-
sioned, bj- Governor Yates, Major of the Eleventh
Illinois Cavalry, and took part in numerous
engagements in Western Tennessee and Missis-
sippi, including the battles of Shiloh and Corinth,
Resigning his commission in 1802, he took up his
residence at Peoria, where he resumed practi(^e
and began the preparation of his first legal work
— "Common Law Pleading and Practice." In
1864 he formed a partnership with Col. Robert G.
Ingersoll, which continued until 1867, when Mr.
Puterbaugh was elected Circuit Court Judge.
He retired from the bench in 1873 to resume pri-
vate practice and pursue his work as an author.
His first work, having already run through three
editions, was followed by "Puterbaugh's Chan-
cery Pleading and Practice," the first edition of
which appeared in 1874, and "Michigan Chancery
Practice," which appeared in 1881. In 1880 he
was chosen Presidential Elector on the Republi-
can ticket. Died, Sept. 25, 1892. Leslie D.
(Puterbaugh), a son of Judge Puterbaugh, is
Judge of the Circuit Court of the Peoria Circuit.

PUTNAM COUNTY, the smallest county in the
State, both as to area and population, containing
only 170 square miles; population (1890), 4,730.
It lies near the center of the north half of the
State, and was named in honor of Gen. Israel
Putnam. The first American to erect a cabin
within its limits was Gurdon S. Hubbard, who
was in business there, as a fur-trader, as early as
1835, but afterwards became a prominent citizen
of Chicago. The county was created by act of
the Legislature in 1825, although a local govern-
ment was not organized until some years later.
Since that date. Bureau, Marshall and Stark
Counties have been erected therefrom. It is
crossed and drained by the Illinois River. The
surface is moderately undulating and the soil
fertile. Corn is the chief staple, although wheat
and oats are e.xtensively cultivated. Coal is
mined and exported. Hennepin is the county-



QDINCT, the principal city of Western Illinois,
and the county seat of Adams County. It was
founded in 1822— the late Gov. John Wood erect-
ing the first log-cabin there — and was incorporated



in 1839. The site is naturally one of the most beauti-
ful in the State, the princii)al part of the city being
built on a limestone bluff having an elevation
of 125 to 150 feet, and overlooking the Mississippi
for a long distance. Its location is 1 12 miles west
of Springfield and 264 miles southwest of Chi-
cago. Besides being a principal shipping point
for the river trade north of St. Louis, it is the
converging point of several important railway
lines, including the Wabash, two branches of the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, and the Quincy,
Omaha & Kansas City, giving east and west, as
well as north and south, connections. At the
present time (1899) several important lines, or
extensions of railroads already constructed, are in
contemplation, which, when completed, will add
largely to the commercial importance of the city.
The city is regularly laid out, the streets inter-
secting each other at right angles, and being
lighted with gas and electricity. Water is
obtained from the Mississippi. There are several
electric railway lines, four public parks, a fine
railway bridge across the Mississippi, to which a
wagon bridge has been added within the past two
years ; a fine railwaj- depot and several elegant
public buildings, including a handsome county
court-house, a Government buikling for the nse
of the Post-office and the United States District
Court. The Illinois Soldiers" and Sailors' Home
is located here, embracing a large group of cot-
tages occupied by veterans of the Civil War,
besides hospital and admini.stration buildings for
the use of the officers. The city,lias moie than
thirty churches, three libraries (one free-public
and two college), with excellent schools and
other educational advantages. Among the
higher institutions of learning are the Chaddock
College (Methodist Episcopal) ami the St. Francis
Solanus College (Roman Catholic). There are
two or three national banks, a State bank with a
capital of S:!l)0,00(l, Ijeside two private banks, four
or five daily papers, with several weekly and one
or two monthly publications. Its advantages as a
shipjnng point by river and railroad have made it
one of the most important manufacturing ceri-
ters west of Chicago. The census of 1890 showed
a total of 374 manufacturing establishments,
having an aggregate capital of §6, 1 87, 845, employ-
ing 5,058 persons, and turning out an annual
product valued at §10,160,492. The cost of
material used was §5.597,990, and the wages paid
§2,383,571. Tlie number of different industries
reported aggregated seventy-six, the more impor-
tant being foundries, carriage and wagon fac-
tories, agricultural implement works, cigar and



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



tobacco factories, flour-mills, breweries, brick-
yards, lime works, saddle and harness shops,
paper mills, furniture factories, organ works, and
artificial-ice factories. Population (1880) , 27,268 ;
(1890), 31,494: (1898) estimated, 40,000.

QUINCT, ALTON & ST. LOUIS RAILROAD,
(See C'liicago, Burlington



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 92 of 207)