Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 95 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 95 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ernor. Three times he consented to lead the
forlorn hope of the Republicans as a candidate
for Congress from an impregnably Democratic
stronghold. For several years he was a Director
of the McCormick Theological Seminary, at Chi-
cago, and, for nineteen years, was a Trustee of the
Southern Illinois Normal University at Carbon-
dale, resigning in 1893. Died, at Shawneetown,
Nov.- 17, 1897.

RIGGS, James M., ex-Congressman, was born
in Scott County, 111., April 17, 1839, where he
received a common school education, supple-
mented by a partial collegiate course. He is a
practicing lawyer of Winchester. In 1864 he was
elected Sheriff, serving two years. In 1871-73 he
represented Scott County in the lower house of
the Twenty-seventh General Assembly, and was
State's Attorney from 1873 to 1876. In 1883, and
again in 1884, he was the successful Democratic
candidate for Congress in the Twelfth Illinois
District.

RlGCiiS, Seott, pioneer, was born in Nortli
Carolina about 1790; removed to C!rawford
County, 111, early in 1815, and represented that
county in the First General Assembly (1818-30).
In 1835 he removed to Scott County, where he
continued to reside until his death, Feb. 24, 1873.

EIJiAKER, John I., lawyer and Congressman,
born in Baltimore, Md., Nov. 18, 1830. Left an
orphan at an early age, he came to Illinois in
1836, and, for several years, lived on farms in
Sangamon and Morgan Counties; was educated
at Illinois and McKendree Colleges, graduating
from the latter in 1851; in 1853 began reading
law with John M. Palmer at Carliuville, and was
admitted to the bar in 1854. In August, 1863, he
recruited the One Hundred and Twenty-second
Illinois Volunteers, of which he was commis-
sioned Colonel. Four months later he was
wounded in battle, but served with his regiment
through the war, and was brevetted Brigadier-
General at its close. Returning from the war he
resumed the practice of his profession at Carlin-
^•ille. Since 1858 he has been an active Repub-
lican; has twice (1872 and '76) served his party
as a Presidential Elector— the latter year for the
State-at-large — and, in 1874, accepted a nomina-
tion for Congress againgt William R. Morrison,
largely reducing the normal Democratic major-



ity. At the State Republican Convention of 1880
he was a prominent, but unsuccessful, candidate
for the Republican nomination for Governor. In
1894 he made the race as the Republican candi-
date for Congress in the Sixteenth District and,
although his opponent was awarded the certifi-
cate of election, on a bare majority of 60 votes on
the face of the returns, a re-count, ordered by the
Fifty-fourth Congress, showed a majority for
General Rinaker, and he was seated near the
close of the first session. He was a candidate
for re-election in 1896, but defeated in a strongly
Democratic District.

RIPLEY, Edward Payson, Railway President,
was born in Dorchester (now a part of Boston),
Mass., Oct. 30, 1845, being related, on his mother's
side, to the distinguished author. Dr. Edward
Payson. After receiving his education in the
high school of his native place, at the age of 17
he entered upon a commercial life, as clerk in a
wholesale dry-goods establishment in Boston.
About the time he became of age, he entered into
the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad as a
clerk in the freight department in the Boston
office, but, a few years later, assumed a responsible
position in connection with the Cliicago, Burling-
ton & Quincy line, finally becoming General
Agent for the business of that road east of
Buffalo, though retaining his headquarter.s at
Boston. In 1878 he removed to Chicago to accept
the position of General Freight Agent of the Chi-
cago. Burlington & Quincy System, w-ith which
he remained twelve years, serving successive])' as
General Traffic Manager and General Manager,
until June 1. 1890, when he resigned to become
Third Vice-President of the Chicago, Milwaukee
& St. Paul line. This relation was continued
until Jan. 1, 1896, when Mr. Ripley accepted
the Presidency of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa
Fe Railroad, wliich (1899) he now holds. Mr.
Ripley was a prominent factor in securing the
location of the World's Columbian Exposition at
Cliicago, and, in April. 1891, was chosen one of
tlie Directors of the Exposition, serving on the
Executive Committee and the Committee of
Ways and Means and Transportation, being Chair-
man of the latter.

RIVERSIDE, a suburban town on the Des
Plaines River and the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy Railway, 11 miles west of Chicago; has
handsome parks, several churches, a bank,
two local papers and some manufactures. Popu-
lation (1890), 1,000.

RIVERTON, a village in Clear Creek Town-
ship, Sangamon County, at the crossing of the



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



453



"Wabash Railroad over the Sangamon River,
6}4 miles east - northeast of Springtielil. It
has three churches, a distillery, a paper mill
and a coal mine. Population (1880), 705; (1890),
1,127.

RIVES, John Cook, early banker and journal-
ist, was born in Franklin County, Va., Jlay 24,
1795 ; in 1806 removed to Kentucky, wliere he
grew up under care of an uncle, Samuel Casey.
He received a good education and was a man of
high character and attractive manners. In his
early manhood he came to Illinois, and was con-
nected, for a time, with the Branch State Bank
at Edwardsville, but, about 1824, removed to
Shawneetown and held a position in the bank
there; also studied law -and was admitted to
practice. Finally, having accepted a clerkship
in the Fourth Auditor's Office in Washington,
he removed to that city, and, in 1830, became
associated with Francis P. Blair, Sr,, in the
establishment of "The Congressional Globe" (the
predecessor of "The Congressional Record"), of
which he finally became sole proprietor, so
remaining until 1864. Like his partner, Blair,
although a native of Virginia and a life-long
Democrat, he was intensely loyal, and contrib-
uted liberally of his means for the equipment of
soldiers from the District of Columbia, and for
the support of their families, during the Civil
War. His expenditures for these objects have
been estimated at some §30,000. Died, in Prince
George's County, Md., April 10, 1864.

ROANOKE, a village of Woodford County, on
the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, 26
miles northeast of Peoria; is in a coal district;
has a bank and two newspapers. Population
(1880), 3.55; (1890), 831.

ROBB, Thomas Patten, Sanitary Agent, was
born in Bath, Maine, in 1819; came to Cook
County, 111., in 1838, and, after arriving at man-
hood, established the first exclusive wholesale
grocery house in Chicago, remaining in the busi-
ness until 1850. He then went to California,
establishing himself in mercantile business at
Sacramento, where he remained seven years,
meanwhile being elected Mayor of that city.
Returning to Chicago on the breaking out of the
war, he was appointed on the staff of Governor
Yates with the rank of JIajor, and, while serv-
ing in this capacity, was instrumental in giving
General Grant the first duty he performed in the
office of the Adjutant-General after his arrival
from Galena. Later, he was assigned to duty as
Inspector-General of Illinois troops with the rank
of Colonel, having general charge of sanitary



affairs until the close of the w.ir, when he was
appointed Cotton Agent for the State of Georgia,
and, still later. President of the Board of Tax
Commissioners for that State. Other positions
held bj' him were those of Postmaster and Col-
lector of Customs at Savannah, Ga. ; he was also
one of the publishers of "The New Era," a
Republican paper at Atlanta, and a prominent
actor in reconstruction affairs. Resigning the
Collectorship, he was appointed by the President
United States Commissioner to investigate Mexi-
can outrages on the Rio Grande border; was sub-
sequently identified with Texas railroad interests
as the President of the Corpus Christi & Rio
Grande Railroad, and one of the projectors of the
Chicago, Texas & Mexican Central Railway, being
thus engaged until 1872. Later he returned to
California, dying near Glenwood, in that State,
April 10, 1895, aged 75 years and 10 months.

ROBERTS, William Charles, clergyman and
educator, was born in a small village of Wales,
England., Sept. 23, 1832; received his primary
education in that country, but, removing to
America during his minority, graduated from
Princeton College in 1855, and from Princeton
Theological Seminary in 18.58. After filling vari-
ous pastorates in Delaware, New Jersey and Ohio,
in 1881 he was elected Corresponding .Secretary
of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions,
the next year being offered the Presidency of
Rutgers College, which he declined. In 1887 he
accepted the presidency of Lake Forest Univer-
sity, which he still retains. From 1859 to 186:!
he was a Trustee of Lafayette College, and, in
1866, was elected to a trusteeship of his Alma
Mater. He has traveled extensively in the
Orient, and was a memljer of the first and third
councils of the Reformed Churches, held at Edin-
burgh and Belfast. Besides, occasional sermons
and frequent contributions to English, Ameri-
can, German and Welsh periodicals. Dr. Roberts
has published a Welsh translation of the West-
minster shorter catechism and a collection of
letters on the great preachers of Wales, which
appeared in Utica, 1868. He received the degree
of D.D., from Union College in 1872. and that of
LL.D.. from Princeton, in 1887.

ROBIXSOJf, an incorporated city and the
county-seat of Crawford County, 25 miles north-
west of Vincennes, Ind., and 44 miles south of
Paris, Edgar County ; is on two lines of railroad
and in the heart of a fruit, corn, wheat and wool-
growing region. The city has a private bank and
two weekly newspapers. Population (1880),
1,880; (1890), 1,887.



454



HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



ROBINSON, James C, lawyer and former
Congressman, was born in Edgar County, 111., in
1823, read law and was admitted to the bar in
1850. He served as a private during the Mexican
War, and, in 1858, was elected to Congress as a
Democrat, as he was again in 1860, '62, "70 and
'72. In 1864 he was the Democratic nominee for
Governor. He was a fluent speaker, and attained
considerable distinction as an advocate in crimi-
nal practice. Died, at Springfield, Nov. 3, 1886.

ROBINSON, John M., United States Senator,
born in Kentucky in 1793, was liberally educated
and became a lawyer by profession. In early life
he settled at Carnii, 111. , wliere he married. He
was of fine physique, of engaging manners, and
personally popular. Through his association
with the State militia he earned the title of
"General." In 1830 he was elected to the United
States Senate, to fill the unexpired term of John
McLean. His immediate predecessor was David
Jewett Baker, appointed b_v Governor Edwards,
who served one month but failed of election by
the Legislature. In 1834 Mr. Robinson was re-
elected for a full term, which expired in 1841.
In 1843 he was elected to a seat upon the Illinois
Supreme bench, but died at Ottawa, April 27, of
the same year, within three months after his
elevation.

BOCHELLE, a city of Ogle County and an
intersecting point of the Chicago & Northwestern
ana tlie Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railways.
It is 75 miles west of Chicago, 27 miles south of
Rockford, and 23 miles east by north of Dixon.
The surrounding country is a rich agricultural
and stock-raising region, rendering Rochelle an
important shipping point. Among its industrial
establishments are two foundries and a flouring
mill. The city has two banks, five churches and
tliree weekly newspapers. Population (1880),
1,893; (1890), 1,789.

ROCHESTER, a village, and one of the oldest
settlements in Sangamon County, having been
laid out in 1819; situated in a rich agricultural
district, on the Baltimore & Ohio Soutliwestern
Railroad, 71/2 miles southeast of Springfield. It
has one newspaper. Population (1890), 380.

ROCK FALLS, a city in AVhiteside County, on
the Rock River, and a station on the Chicago,
Burlington & Quincy Railroad. It has excellent
water-power, a good publ'ic school system (includ-
ing a high school), banks and a weekly newspaper.
Agricultural implements, barbed wire, furniture,
flour and paper are its chief manufactures.
There are also railway machine shops located
here. Population (1880), 894; (1890), 1,900.



ROCKFORD, a flourishing manufacturing
city, the county-seat of Winnebago County ; lies
on both sides of the Rock River, 93 miles west of
Chicago. Four trunk lines of railroad — the Chi-
cago, Burlington & Quincy, the Chicago & North-
western, the Illinois Central and the Chicago,
Milwaukee & St. Paul — intersect here. Excellent
water-power is secured by a dam across the river,
and communication between the two divisions of
the city is facilitated by three railway and three
highway bridges. Water is provided from five
artesian wells, a reserve main leading to the
river. The cit}' is wealthy, prosperous and pro-
gressive. The assessed valuation of property, in
1893, was §6,531,335. Churches are numerous and
schools, both public and private, are abundant
and well conducted. The census of 1890 showed
§7,715,069 capital invested in 246 manufacturing
establishments, which employed 5,233 persons and
turned out an annual product valued at §8,888,-
904. The principal industries are the manufac-
ture of agricultural implements and furniture,
though %vatches, silver-plated ware, paper, flour
and grape sugar are among tlie other products.
Population (1880), 13,129; (1890), 23,584.

ROCKFORD COLLEGE, located at Rockford,
111., incorporated in 1847; in 1898 had a faculty
of 21 instructors with 161 pupils. The branches
taught include the classics, music and fine arts.
It has a library of 6, 150 volumes, funds and en-
dowment aggregating §50,880 and property
valued at §240,880, of which §150,000 is real
estate.

ROCK ISLAND, the principal city and county-
seat of Rock Island County, on the Mississippi
River, 182 miles west by south of Chicago. It is
the converging point of five lines of railroad.
Tlie name is derived from an island in the Mis-
sissippi River, opposite the citj', 3 miles long,
which belongs to the United States Government
and contains an arsenal and armory. The river
channel west of the island is navigable, the east-
ern channel having been dammed by the Govern-
ment, therebj' giving great water-power to Rock
Island, Milan and Mohne. A combined railway
and highway bridge spans the river from Rock
Island to Davenport, Iowa, crossing the island,
while another bridge connects the city with
Moline. The island was the site of Fort Arm-
strong (consisting of a group of block-houses)
during the Black Hawk War, and was also a
place for the confinement of Confederate prisoners
during the War of the Rebellion. Rock Island
lias extensive manufactures of lumber, agricul-
tural implements, glass, iron, carriage and wagon



HLSTOmCAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



455



works, with several banks, four newspapers, two
issuing daily editions. Population (1880),
11,6.59; (1890), 13,C34.

ROCK ISLAND COUNTY, in the northwestern
section of tlie State bordering upon the Jlissis-
sippi River (which constitutes its northwestern
boundary for more than 60 miles), and having an
area of 440 square miles. In 1816 the Govern-
ment erected a fort on Rock Island (an island in
the Mississippi, 3 miles long and one-half to
three -quarters of a mile wide), naming it Fort
Armstrong. It has always remained a military
post, and is now the seat of an extensive arsenal
and work-shops. In the spring of 1828. settle-
ments were made near Port Byron by John and
Thomas Kinney, Archibald Allen and George
Harlan. Other early settlers, near Rock Island
and Rapids City, were J. W. Spencer, J. W. Bar
riels, Benjamin F. Pike and Conrad Leak; and
among the pioneers were Wells and Michael Bart-
lett, Joel Thompson, the Simms brothers and
George Davenport. The country was full of
Indians, tliis being the headquarters of Black
Hawk and the initial point of the Black Hawk
War. (See Black Hairk, and Black Ikni-k War.)
By 182!) settlers were increased in number and
county organization was effected in ISS."), Rock
Island (then called Stephenson) being made the
county-.seat. Joseph Conway was tlie first
County Clerk, and Joel Wells, Sr., the first Treas-
urer. The first court was held at the residence
of John W. Barriels, in Farnhamsburg. The
county is irregular in shape, and the soil and
scenery greatly varied. Coal is abundant, the
water-power inexhaustible, and the county's
mining and manufacturing interests are very
extensive. Several lines of railway cross tlie
county, affording admirable transportation facili-
ties to both eastern and western markets. Rock
Island and Moline (which see) are the two prin-
cipal cities in the county, tliough there are
several other important jjoiuts. Coal Valley is
the center of large mining interests, and Jlilan is
also a manufacturing center. Port Byron is one
of the oldest towns in the county, and has con-
siderable lime and lumber interests, while Water-
town is the seat of the Western Hospital for the
Insane. Population of the county (1880), 38,302;
(1890), 41,917.

ROCK ISL.iND & PEORIA RAILWAY, a
standard-guage road, laid with steel rails, extend-
ing from Rock Island to Peoria, 91 miles. It is
lessee of the Rock Island & Mercer County Rail-
road, running from Milan to Cable. 111., giving it
a total length of 118 miles — with Peoria Terminal,



131.10 miles.— (History.) The company is a
reorganization (Oct. 9, 1877) of the Peoria &
Rock Island Railroad Company, whose road was
sold under foreclosure, April 4, 1877. The latter
Road was the result of the consolidation, in 1869,
of two corporations— the Rock Island & Peoria
and the Peoria & Rock Island Railroad Compa-
nies — the new organization taking the latter
name. The road was opened tlirough its entire
length, Jan. 1, 1872, its sale under foreclosure and
reorganization imder its present name taking
place, as already stated, in l.'



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 95 of 207)