Newton Bateman.

Historical encyclopedia of Illinois online

. (page 96 of 207)
Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 96 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


gress held in 1893, as auxiliary to the Columbian
Exposition, he was chosen Chairman of the Com-
mittee on Law Reform and Jurisprudence, and
was for a time associate editor of "The American
Law Register," of Philadelphia. He is also the
author of a treatise on "Expert Testimony,"
which has passed through two editions, and has
edited a work entitled "Illinois Citations,"
besides doing mucli other valuable literary work
of a similar character.

ROGERS, John Gorin, jurist, was born at
Gla.sgow, Ky., Dec. 28, 1818, of English and early
Virginian ancestry ; was educated at Center Col-
lege, Danville, Ky., and at Transylvania Univer-
sity, graduating from the latter institution in
1841, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. For
sixteen years he practiced in his native town,
and, in 1857, removed to Chicago, where he soon



IlISTUKICAL KNCYC'LUPEDIA OF ILLINOIS.



457



attained professional prominence. In ISTO lie
was elected a Judge of the Cook County Circuit
Court, continuing on the bench, througli repeated
re-elections, until his deatli, which occurred
suddenly, Jan. 10, 1887, four years before the
expiration of the term for which he liad been
elected.

ROGERS PARK, a village and suburb 9 miles
north of Chicago, on Lake Michigan and the
Chicago & Northwestern and the Chicago, Mil-
waukee & St. Paul Railways; has a biink and two
weekly newspapers ; is reached by electric street-
car line from Chicago, and is a popular residence
suburb. Population (1890), 1,708.

ROLL, John E., pioneer, was born in Green
Village, N. J., June 4, 1814; came to Illinois in
1830, and settled in Sangamon County. He
assisted Abraham Lincoln in the construction of
the flat-boat with which the latter descended the
Mississippi River to New Orleans, in 1831. Mr.
Roll, who was a mechanic and contractor, built
a number of houses in Springfield, where he has
since continued to reside.

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH. The earliest
Christians to establish places of worship in Illi-
nois were priests of the Catholic faith. Early
Catholic missionaries were explorers and histori-
ans as well as preachers. (See Allouez; Bergier,
Early Missionaries; Gravier; Marquette.) The
church went hand in hand with the represent-
atives of the French Government, carrying in
one hand the cross and in the other the flag of
France, simultaneously disseminating the doc-
trines of Christianity and inculcating loyalty to
the House of Bourbon. For nearly a hundred
years, the self-sacrificing and devoted Catholic
clergy of the seventeenth and eighteenth cen-
turies ministered to the spiritual wants of the
early French settlers and the natives. They were
not without factional jealousies, however, and a
severe blow was dealt to a branch of them in the
order for the banishment of the Jesuits and the
confiscation of their property. (See Early Mis-
sionaries.) The subsequent occupation of the
country by the English, with the contemporane-
ous emigration of a considerable portion of the
French west of the Mississippi, dissipated many
congregations. Up to 1830 Illinois was included
in the diocese of Missouri ; but at that time it was
constituted a separate diocese, under the episco-
pal control of Rt. Rev. Joseph Rosatti. At that
date there were few, if anj', priests in Illinois.
But Bishop Rasatti was a man of earnest purpose
and rare administrative ability. New parishes
were organized as rapidly as circumstances



would permit, and the growth of the church has
been steady. By 1840 there were thirty-one
parishes and twenty priests. In 1896 there are
reported 698 parishes, 704 clergymen and a
Catholic population exceeding 850,000. (See also
Rcli



Online LibraryNewton BatemanHistorical encyclopedia of Illinois → online text (page 96 of 207)