Noble Warrum.

Utah since statehood, historical and biographical (Volume 3) online

. (page 1 of 128)
Online LibraryNoble WarrumUtah since statehood, historical and biographical (Volume 3) → online text (page 1 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


itllllli



Gc

979.2

W25u

v.3

1216912



GENEALOGY COLLECTION



,/



ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIE



3 1833 01067 1060



UTAH



SINCE STATEHOOD



HISTORICAL AND
BIOGRAPHICAL




ILLUSTRATED



VOLUME III



CHICAGO-SALT LAKE

THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY
1919



1218912




COLONEL DANIEL C. JACKLING



BIOGRAPHICAL



COLONEL DANIEL COWAN JACKLING.

Colonel Daniel Cowan Jackling, vice president and managing director of the Utah
Copper Company, operating the world's greatest copper mine at Bingham, Utah, is one
of the leading figures in mining circles throughout the world. The position which he
occupies is unique, not only for the rather brief period of time in which it has been at-
tained, but because in some respects it stands singularly alone. Most mining men of the
day owe recognition to their ability in determining the existence and value of ore
bodies and their relation to mineralogical and geographical conditions. Colonel Jack-
ling's preeminence is due to his work in making commercially profitable bodies of ore
which, until produced by the advanced methods introduced by the Utah Copper Com-
pany, were almost worthless. In fact his success in this respect has been so stupendous
as to make the works directed by him unrivaled in their kind. It may be said that the
Utah Copper Company, because of his metallurgical knowledge, covering the widest and
most practical grasp of the subject, was really the pioneer in making commercially profit-
able the handling of large bodies of copper ore of such low grade as had previously been
looked upon as almost waste. From a three hundred ton mill which he erected for
experimental purposes in 1903, the Arthur mill and Magna mill in 1917 treated more
than twelve million tons of ore. When the small quantity of copper in the ore is con-
sidered, the vast tonnage of copper produced is little less than marvelous. The history
of the Utah Copper Company from its organization in 1903 to the present time, its
stupendous growth and development represent the genius and dynamic personality of
Colonel Jackling.

He was born in Appleton City, Missouri, August 14, 1869, a son of Daniel and Lydia
Jane (Dunn) Jackling, the father being a merchant of that place. The parents died
when Colonel Jackling was but a small child and he was reared in the family of a rel-
ative. He attended the common schools, the State Normal School at Warrensburg, Mis-
souri, and later the Missouri School of Mines, from which he received his degree of
Bachelor of Science and Metallurgical Engineer in 1892. For several years, or until
1896, he was engaged as a chemist and metallurgist at Cripple Creek. Colorado, and in
that year came to Utah to take charge of the construction and operation of the metal-
lurgical works of the Consolidated Mercur Gold Mines at Mercur, then operated by the
late Captain Joseph R. De Lamar. Colonel Jackling continued there until 1899, when
he resigned and went to Republic, Washington, where he designed and built a mill for
a group of Canadian capitalists. Going then to Colorado Springs, Colorado, he became
consulting engineer to the United States Reduction & Refining Company. In 1903, in
company with Charles M. MacNeill and Spencer Penrose, lie organized the Utah Copper
Company to develop the property at Bingham, Colonel Jackling becoming vice president
and general manager, in which capacity he continued until May. 1913, when he became
vice president and managing director. His headquarters were in Salt Lake City until
January, 1915, when he removed to San Francisco, California.

He is also president of the Nevada Consolidated Copper Company; president of the
Butte k Superior Mining Company; vice president and managing director of the Ray
Consolidated Copper Company and the Chino Copper Company; vice president and gen-
eral manager of the Ray & Gila Valley Railroad and the Bingham & Garfield Railroad;
vice president of the Nevada-Northern Railroad and the Alaska Gold Mines Company;
president of the Utah Power & Light Company; director of the Sinclair Consolidated
Oil Company; director of the Chase National Bank of New York; director of the Utah
Fireclay Company; and director of the Pacific Steamship Company. This is a list of
corporations which indicates the great breadth and extent of his activities and the sound-
ness of his business judgment in matters of investment.

5



6 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD

Colonel Jackling was married in April, 1915, at San Francisco, to Miss Virginia
Jolliffe, a member of one of the leading families of that city. In politics a stanch repub-
lican, he was during his residence in Utah a forceful and leading figure in the councils
of the party. While in Colorado he served for two years on the staff of Governor James
H. Peabody. In selecting his official family, Governor William Spry of Utah appointed
him Inspector general of small arms practice, with the rank of colonel. He is a member
of the American Mining Engineers and the Metallurgical Society of America and in
club circles is well known, having membership in the Alta Club of Salt Lake City, of
which he was president in 1909; the University and Commercial and Country Clubs of
Salt Lake City; the Rocky Mountain and New York Yacht Clubs of New York; the
California Club of Los Angeles; the El Paso Club of Colorado Springs; the Pacific Union
and the Bohemian Clubs of San Francisco; and the Rainier Club of Seattle.

During the war Colonel Jackling was one of the captains of industry that offered
his services to his government and was appointed director of United States government
explosive plants. Under his masterful direction the great plant at Nitro, near Charles-
ton, West Virginia, was erected, which at the time of the signing of the armistice, and
less than one year after its construction was begun, was producing more than one hun-
dred thousand pounds of explosives per day. He was awarded the Distinguished Service
Medal by direction of President Wilson "for exceptionally meritorious and distinguished
service as Director of United States Government Explosive Plants." A contemporary
writer has said: "Mr. Jackling is a man of broad views and is mentally equipped far
beyond the average. He has a truly remarkable grasp of subjects (not confined to his
special line) in their relation to the interests of mankind generally. It is difficult to
imagine a vocation in life, or a calling, in which Mr. Jackling with his intellectual
force, would not be eminently successful. In this respect he is distinguished from most
notables, who are capable of doing only one thing very well. Upon whatever subject the
force of his mind is turned, a clarity of vision is developed and a direction of energy
that assure successful results."



CHARLES F. WILCOX, M. D.

Dr. Charles F. Wilcox, engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in Salt
Lake, his native city, was born February 23, 1859, a son of Elder Walter E. Wilcox, who
came from Dorchester, Massachusetts, and Mrs. Wilcox, who was born in Richmond, Mas-
sachusetts. Both were representatives of old New England families and the genealogical
record thereof was given in one of the local papers as follows: "The Wilcox coat of arms
is, as given in the Visitations of Essex county, England: Argent, a lion rampant. Between
three crescents, sable, a chief van, Wilcox, Willcocks; the lion rampant indicates that
he to whom the arms were granted had gained a victory whilst in command of the army.
The coat of arms of the American family, being almost an exact facsimile, shows lineal
descent from this historic English line. They are thus given in the History of Walling-
ford, Connecticut. The following is an abstract from the History of Wallingford, Con-
necticut: The family of Wilcox, Willcocks is of Saxon origin, and was seated at Bury
St. Edmonds, in the county of Suffolk, England, before the Norman conquest. Sir John
Dugdale, in his Visitations of the County of Suffolk, mentions fifteen generations of
this family previous to 1600, in the reign of King Edward III. Sir John Wilcox was
entrusted with several commands against the French, and had the commands of the
crossbowman from Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. John William Wilcox, of Bury Priory, in
Suffolk, was an eminent queen's councilor and he was the representative of the ancient
family. Sir George Lawrence Willcocks of Brookend, County Tyrone, Ireland, is the eld-
est son of the late George Willcocks, Esq., of Coal Island, County Tyrone, by Isabella,
daughter of the Rev. Charles Culfield. This family is a branch of the Willcocks of Tot-
tenham, High Cross, Middlesex, England, but they have been settled in Ireland for about
two centuries. They have been, and some branches are still, members of the Society of
Friends. On the old record the name is spelled Wilcox and Willcocks. It is derived from
William. The first Wilcoxes who came to this country who are known are four brothers
who came from St. Edmonds, England, in 1635. Their names were John, William,
Edward and Daniel. John Wilcox with his wife, Mary, settled in Hartford, Connecticut,
and he died in 1651. William and his wife, Margaret, settled at Stratford, Connecticut,
moved to Massachusetts colony and was the first of the name who is recorded on the




OR. CHARLES F. WILCOX



UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD !)

list of the early officers of the colony. He was an officer of the artillery company and
died at Cambridge in 1653. Edward settled in Portsmouth, Kingston, R. I. Daniel
Wilcox settled in New York state. There is also a Peter Wilcox who came to this
country from England and settled on the north side of the Blue brook, a little above Felt-
ville, New Jersey, in 1736-7, with Rev. Mr. Huntington, who settled there at the same
time. Peter spelled his name at the time he came as Willcocks, showing that he is one
of the same original English tribe. John Wilcox, who settled in Hartford, Connecticut,
in 1639, is the first grandfather of Elder Wilcox in this country. It will therefore be
proper to give this line as it came from Frank F. Starr, notary public and genealogist
of Middletown, Connecticut Walter was the son of William, who was the son of Captain
Eli. the son of Jeremiah, son of Samuel, son of Samuel, son of John, son of John, the
emigrant who came here in 1635. These are Elder Wilcox's forbears on the Wilcox
side in this country."

The ancestry of Elder Wilcox in the maternal line came from England. William
Lucas was one of the first settlers in Middletown, Connecticut. He married there, July
13, 1666, Hester Clark; their son William, who married Elizabeth Rowley; their son
William married Mary Shilman; their son Richard married Hannah Penfield; their
daughter, Huldah Lucas, married William Wilcox, and these are the parents of Eldpr
Wilcox. In the Dudley line the ancestry is traced back to William Dudley, who was
born at Sheen, in Surry, England; came from the town of Guilford, thirty miles southeast
from London, in the county of Surry. He was married to Miss Jane Sutman by Rev.
Henry Whitfield, at Oakley, in Surry, England, August 24, 1635. The company left
England in the fall of 1636; spent the winter in Boston, where they were urged to
locate, and strong inducements were offered for that purpose; but, preferring to be a
colony by themselves, they declined and went prospecting as far as New Haven. Being
pleased with the Indian lands at Menuncatuc, a considerable portion of which was then
under cultivation, they made the purchase of the Indians and named the settlement
Guilford in remembrance of Guilford in England, from whence Mr. Dudley came. Their
first child was born on shipboard. There were distinguished men in the company with
whom Mr. Dudley came to America. "I will give my line," writes Elder Wilcox, "through
them, as they are grandparents to me, commencing with William, the emigrant. Wil-
liam Dudley and his wife Jane; their son, Joseph Dudley, married Ann Robinson; their
son, Captain William Dudley, married Ruth Strong; their son, Asahil Dudley, married
Elizabeth Hatch; their daughter, Lois Dudley, married Captain Eli Wilcox; their son,
William Wilcox, was my father."

It was in the year 1852 that Elder Wilcox made the trip across the plains and settled
in Salt Lake, where he has since made his home. In the early days he engaged in the
operation of a sawmill in Cottonwood and other districts, furnishing the timber and
wood with which to erect the mills and buildings for many of the big mining companies.
He attained the notable age of ninety-nine years, his death occurring in May. 1919.
The mother of Dr. Wilcox passed away in Salt Lake City in the '80s. In their family
were nine children, five of whom are still living: George A., who is a resident of Rex-
burg, Idaho; Mrs. Ella (Wilcox) Hyde, living in Salt Lake City; Charles F., of this
review; Franklin A., residing in Salt Lake City; and Dr. E. E. Wilcox.

Charles F. Wilcox, after completing the high school course in Salt Lake City, at-
tended the Normal School and also the University of Utah, from which he was graduated
in 1880. He afterward taught school for several years and then entered the University
Medical College of New York City, where he completed his course in 1890. Following
his graduation there he returned to Salt Lake, where he has continued in the active
practice of medicine and surgery. He has done post-graduate work in different schools
of the east, also at the Mayo Brothers Hospital in Rochester, Minnesota, and has con-
stantly put forth every effort to advance his knowledge and promote his efficiency in the
line of his chosen profession. He belongs to the American Medical Association, the Utah
State Medical Society and the Salt Lake County Medical Society. For one term he
served as health commissioner of the city and for ten years was on the staff of the
Latter-day Saints Hospital. Nor have his efforts been confined alone to professional
interests but have covered a wide scope, leading to the material and cultural develop-
ment of the community. He is the president of the Utah Conservatory of Music, a
director of the Sugar Centrifugal Discharge Company, president of the North Standard
Mining Company and president of the Wisma Film Company.

In Salt Lake City. December 25, 1884, Dr. Wilcox was united in marriage to Miss
Elizabeth Stevenson, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Stevenson, who were pioneer



10 TTTAH since statehood

settlers of Utah. The Doctor and his wife have become the parents of six children.
Charles Frederick, born in Salt Lake City, is a graduate of the University of Utah and
the Harvard Medical School and is now with the Medical Department of the United
States army in France. Mrs. Ramona (Wilcox) Cannon, born in Salt Lake City, is a
graduate of the University of Utah, from which she won the degree of A. B. and M. A.
Claire, also a graduate of the University of Utah, which institution conferred upon her
the degree of A. B., is now the wife of Matthew F. Noall and resides in Salt Lake City.
Edward Stevenson Wilcox, a native of New York city, makes his home in Salt Lake.
Raymond Stevenson Wilcox, a native of Salt Lake City, is a pilot aviator in the
service of the United States army in France. Mary Stevenson Wilcox, born in Salt
Lake City, is now a student in the University of Utah.

Dr. Wilcox has always maintained an independent course in politics. He has served
as medical examiner for the state insurance commission and for several insurance com-
panies but has never sought office outside the strict path of his profession. He was also
a lieutenant colonel in the National Guard and acting surgeon general for the Utah
State National Guard, serving on the staff of Colonel Willard Young. His entire life
has been passed in Salt Lake save for the periods of study in the east. He has ever
been actuated by a laudable ambition that has made for professional success and at the
same time, recognizing fully his duties and obligations of citizenship, he has contributed
to the support of every plan and project looking to the welfare and upbuilding of city
and state.



CHRISTIAN JOHNSON.



The great sheep raising industry of the west finds one of its centers in Sanpete
county and with this business Christian Johnson is closely and successfully connected.
He was born in Denmark. January 18, 1877, a son of Alfred and Maria (Jensen) John-
son, who in the year 1S85 became residents of Utah, settling first at Spring City and
afterward at Fountain Green. The father had previously become a convert to the faith
of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and filled a mission in Denmark
before coming to Utah and about 1903 filled a mission to Sweden as traveling elder for
two years. In this country he has concentrated his efforts and attention largely upon
sheep raising and farming. He remains an active worker in the church and is now a
member of the high priests quorum. He has reached the age of sixty-five years, while
Mrs. Maria Johnson is sixty-seven years of age. Their children are: Christian, of this
review; Matilda, who is the wife of Ammon Hanson and has three children; Alfred,
who wedded Katie Peterson, by whom he has four children; August, who is married
and has three children; and Ernest, who married Maud Guymon.

Christian Johnson was a lad of but eight years when the family came to Utah. He
had begun his education in the schools of Denmark and continued his studies after
reaching Fountain Green. He also spent one winter as a student in the Brigham Young
University at Provo and one winter as a student in the Snow Academy at Ephraim.
He became interested in the sheep business when but twelve years of age and through-
out the intervening period to the present time has continued active in sheep raising
and in farming. His labors, intelligently directed, have brought to him a substantial
success and he is likewise the owner of a fifth interest in the Mutual Garage Cor-
poration and is a stockholder in the People's Sugar Company at Moroni and the Gunni-
son Valley Sugar Company, thus becoming interested in one of the important productive
industries of the state.

On the 27th of June, 1906, at Manti, Mr. Johnson wedded Emma Holman, daughter
of Sanford and Hannah Elizabeth (Allred) Holman, farming people who are still
living. Her parents are natives of Utah and both the Holman and Allred families
were represented in the Indian wars. Mr. and Mrs. Sanford Holman have seven chil-
dren, namely: Emma, Sanford, Elizabeth, Naomi R., Lester, Murl and Grace. To
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been born four children, as follows. Angelene, whose birth
occurred October 10, 1909; Stella, whose natal day was May 26, 1912; Clarden, born
March 9, 1914; and Sereta, who was born on the 5th of April, 1919. All are natives of
Fountain Green.

Mr. Johnson is a member of the Amusement Hall Association, believing firmly that
adequate, helpful and interesting entertainment should be furnished to every community.



UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 11

His political endorsement is given to the republican party. He is a progressive busi-
ness man, and although all days in his career have not been equally bright, he has made
steady progress and has won the substantial rewards of persistent and earnest labor.
He is likewise a consistent member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
giving generously of his time and money to further its interests. In the years 1905 and
1906 he pursued a mission course at Snow Academy and then filled a mission to Norway,
where he spent twenty-six months as traveling elder.



JOSEPH FARR.



Joseph Farr is a well known mining man of Ogden and a representative of one of
the oldest and most prominent families of the state. The student of history cannot
carry his investigations far into the annals of Utah without learning of the close and
prominent connection of the Farr family with events that have shaped the public
records. Joseph Farr was born in 1852 in what was known as Farr's Fort, a name in-
dicative of the family's identification with pioneer times.

In the public schools of Ogden, Joseph Farr pursued his education and after at-
tending the high school became a student in Professor Park's school and in John Mor-
gan's commercial college. He afterward turned his attention to the milling business
and built the first steam flour mill in the state on Washington street, between Twenty-
fifth and Twenty-sixth streets. Later he engaged in general merchandising, having the
largest store in Ogden at that time. He conducted the business for about ten years
with good success, enjoying a liberal patronage. He afterward served for two years
as city magistrate and subsequently became interested in mining in the Lake View
district. He has developed his mining properties to a considerable extent, the yield
being lead and zinc ores. He is the president of the Promontory Carbonite Mining
Company and in this connection has become widely known in mining circles. In a word
he has been closely connected with the development of Utah as a miller, a merchant
and miner, utilizing the natural resources of the state and meeting business needs
and conditions in the development of his own fortunes.

In December, 1874, Mr. Farr was married to Miss Sally M. Porter, a daughter of
Luther J. and Aurora (Murray) Porter, who came to the west from the state of New
York, settling in Utah in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Farr have become parents of twelve
children, ten of whom are still living. Two of his sons were in the army in the great
European war. His son Hyrum, responding to the call of the colors, became a member of
Company B, Six Hundred and Fourth Engineers, and is in France, where he has done
active duty. Eugene enlisted on the 28th of May. 1917, in Company F, Fifth Field
Artillery, and sailed in August. He, too, was on the firing line, going over the top,
and on the 18th of December, 1917, was wounded. In December, 1918, he was returned
to the United States and is now in the United States Hospital at Fort Douglas.

Mr. Farr is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Is
serving as one of the Seventy. His interest in community affairs is deep and sincere
and is manifest in hearty cooperation with plans and movements for the general good.
A resident of the state for sixty-seven years, he has witnessed almost the entire growth
and development of Utah, his memory forming a connecting link between the primitive
pioneer past and the progressive present. Moreover, his labors have been an element
in bringing about present-day progress and prosperity and Ogden numbers him among
her representative business men and citizens.



JOHN ELDRIDGE JONES.



John Eldridge Jones, of Salt Lake, local manager for the Western Newspaper Union,
was born in Dallas, Texas. October 30, 1886, a son of John B. and Nellie (Rust) Jones,
the former a native of Ohio or Illinois, while the latter was born in Michigan. In early
manhood, however, John B. Jones became a resident of Texas and there entered the
newspaper field, becoming connected with various companies engaged in newspaper pub-
lication. He is now general purchasing agent and a member of the board of directors
of the Western Newspaper Union, with offices at Omaha, Nebraska. His wife is also



12 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD

living. They reared a family of six children: John E., of this review; Adeline, who is
now a teacher of music at Columbus, Tennessee; Milton H., living at Charlotte, North
Carolina; Philip G., whose home is in Lincoln, Nebraska; Dorothy, who resides in
Omaha, Nebraska; and Marion, who is attending the Northwestern University at Ev-
anston, Illinois.

Through his youthful days John E. Jones was a pupil in the schools of Dallas and
of Houston, Texas, and then entered the University of Texas at Austin. He left that in-
stitution, however, before receiving a degree and entered upon educational work as a
teacher of history at Cleburne, Texas. After a short time he turned from the profession
to enter into the wholesale paper and supply business in the city of Mexico and also at
Monterey, but on account of the Mexican war and the unsettled conditions of the country
he left there in 1914 and located at Wichita, Kansas, where he entered a wholesale paper
and supply business. In 1916 he accepted a position as a representative of an export
paper supply house, also handling newspaper machinery. This was a New York city
concern and Mr. Jones was employed by it until 1917, when he came to Salt Lake City
as local manager for the Western Newspaper Union, dealers in printers' machinery,
printers' paper and newspaper service. This is the supply house for all the inter-



Online LibraryNoble WarrumUtah since statehood, historical and biographical (Volume 3) → online text (page 1 of 128)