August 11, 1913; Peter, June 29, 1915; and Robert, April 29, 1918.
In his political views Mr. Sutch is a republican and keeps well informed on the
questions and issues of the day but has never been an office seeker, his time and atten-
tion, being fully occupied by his business duties. He is a Mason, having become a
charter member of Lodge No. 16. at Price, and the craft finds in him a worthy exemplar,
who is loyal to its teachings concerning the brotherhood of man and the obligations
thereby imposed. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to come to
the new world, for here he found the opportunities which he sought and has made
for himself a creditable place among the representative citizens of his community.
JOHN THOMAS CAINE, Si:.
John Thomas Caine, who was Utah's fourth delegate to congress and a man
prominent in public affairs and in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
was born in the parish of Kirkpatrick, on the Isle of Man, January 8, 1829, his parents
being Thomas and Eleanor (Cubbon) Caine. He was but six years of age when his
mother died. His father emigrated to America and he was left with his maternal
grandfather, Hugh Cubbon. who was a farmer and tailor. When nine years of age
he was taken to Douglas, where he lived with his. aunt, Mrs. William Cowley, his
father's sister, who sent him to school. At the age of eleven years he went to Peel,
where he lived with his mother's sister, Mrs. John Richardson, who resided near
Peel, and who sent him to school, thus completing his education. On the 17th of
March, 1846, he sailed from Liverpool on the bark Shanunga for New York, where
he arrived on the 30th of April. He there secured employment and while there he
became a convert to the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
and was baptized by Elder William H. Miles on the 28th of March, 1847. In October,
1848, he made his way to St. Louis, Missouri, where he became actively engaged in
church work, being made assistant to the clerk of the conference, Daniel Mackintosh.
He was ordained an elder July 7, 1849, and for three years thereafter he ministered
to victims of the cholera but escaped the dread disease himself. It was while engaged
in that work that he met Margaret Nightingale, a relative of the Nightingale and
Leach families who were the first converts to the church. He wedded Miss Nightin-
gale on the 22d of October, 1850, after which he acted as general agent for the frontier
guardian and also assisted in emigration and other matters, working with Elder
Hyde. He became the successor of Elder Mackintosh in the position of clerk of the
conference and was first counselor to President Thomas Wrigley.
On the 8th of May, 1852, he left St. Louis with his family and a company of fifty
wagons which was commanded by Captain James McGraw, while Mr. Caine acted as
captain of ten wagons. They arrived in Salt Lake City on the 20th of .September.
1852, and there Mr. Caine obtained employment at digging beets on shares. Through
the succeeding winter he taught school and later he became identified with the Deseret
Dramatic Association and appeared in several plays that were staged in Social Hall.
In 1854 Mr. Caine was called to fill a mission to the Hawaiian Islands and fol-
lowing his return in 1856 was appointed assistant secretary of the legislative council,
which position he filled for many sessions. In 1857 he was made military secretary,
with the rank of lieutenant colonel, on the staff of General Daniel H. Wells, comman-
der of the Nauvoo Legion. Throughout the period of his life in Utah, Mr. Caine was
actively and closely associated with events which have left their impress upon the
history of the state. In March, 1870, he was sent to Washington, D. C.. to carry the
protest of the people of Utah against the Cullum bill, which had passed the house of
representatives and was pending in the senate. He was made a member of the legis-
lative council, serving through the sessions of 1874, 1876, 1880 and 1882. He became
managing editor of the Herald and in 1876 was elected recorder of Salt Lake City,
occupying that office until 1882. In 1876 he was also made a member of the board
of regents of the University of Deseret aind so continued until 1886. In June, 1882. he
was named one of seven delegates to present the constitution of Utah to congress and
there were indeed few events of importance to the state at large with which he was
not more or less closely associated. In 1896 he was elected a member of the state
senate and afterward was the candidate for governor on the democratic ticket but at
Vol. IV 8
82 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
that time met defeat. He served for eleven years as delegate in congress and his
activities were ever of a most important character, looking to the further development,
welfare and upbuilding of his state. Death called him in 1911 and thus passed from
the scene of earthly activity one who had been an important factor in shaping Utah's
progress and upbuilding.
Since taking up his abode at Scofield in 1900, George Ruff has been identified with
the Utah Coal Company as a blacksmith. He was born in England, January 18, 1850,
his parents being James and Eliza (Medlock) Ruff. The father died in England and the
mother afterward came to Utah in 1873.
In his native land George Ruff was reared and educated and it was some years
after his first marriage that he came to the new world, crossing the Atlantic with his
wife in 1879. They arrived in Utah on the 5th of October, settling at Coalville, and in
1900 removed to Scofield. Mr. Ruff had acquired his education in the public schools
of England and afterward had learned blacksmithing. He worked along that line for
the coal mines at Coalville and on removing to Scofield became identified with black-
smithing in the interests of the Utah Coal Company, which he has thus represented
to the present time.
In England, in 1871, Mr. Ruff was married to Miss Sarah Elizabeth Grayson, who
was born April 25, 1851, and who passed away in Scofield, December 27, 1908. On the
4th of August, 1909, Mr. Ruff wedded Mary (Hood) Johnson. The mother of his second
wife came to Utah in 1876 as a widow. Mrs. Ruff was born April 27, 1853, and by
her former marriage had two daughters and a son, Agnes, Frances and Andrew. The
children of Mr. Ruff are as follows. Mary Emma, born in England, September 2,
1871, married Joseph Jones and has one child. George Henry, born in England,
October 10, 1876, wedded Nettie Calderwood and has three children. John James, born
in England in 1878, married Alice Dunster and has four children. William Edward,
born in Scofield, Utah, May 24, 1881, married Margaret Morgan and has five children.
Joseph H., born in Scofield, October 1, 1883, married Ida Bowley, who passed away
leaving two children. Wilford, born in Scofield, April 15, 1886, married Elizabeth
Blackham, by whom he had two children, and after the death of his first wife he wedded
Viola Whitaker and they have one child.
Mr. Ruff has always adhered to the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-
day Saints and for two years was president of the Elders Quorum at Coalville. In
1898 he was sent on a mission to England, where he labored for two years. On the
19th of July, 1902, he was ordained a bishop of Scofield ward and continues to act in
that capacity to the present time. He has likewise been prominent in public affairs
of the community, serving for two terms on the town board of Scofield and filling out an
unexpired term as president of the board. In 1917 he was elected president of the
board, or mayor of th city, and he is also a member of the school bolrd of Carbon
county. His first term in that position covered two years and he is now filling a four-
year term. While at Coalville he occupied the position of justice of the peace* His
public record is an unassailable one and his devotion to the general welfare has been
manifest in many tangible "ways.
Foster Funk, of Salina, proprietor of one of the largest garages of Sevier county
and conducting an excellent business in that connection and as a dealer in automobile
tires and accessories, was born in Manti, Sanpete county, Utah, in 1888, a son of Wil-
liam D. and Ingri (Sandberg) Funk. The father is a well known pioneer of Sanpete
county, who has the distinction of being its first settler, and he held the reins over
the first team that was ever driven through that section by a white man. He was
one of the Indian fighters of the early days and thus wrote his name largely upon the
pioneer history of southern Utah.
Foster Funk was educated in the graded schools of Sanpete county and assisted his
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 83
father upon the home farm until he reached the age of eighteen years, when he started
out in business life on his own account as a farmer. He continued to engage in agri-
cultural pursuits until 1913, when, noting the rapid growth of the automobile industry,
he took up the study of automobile construction and opened one of the largest garages
and repair shops of Sevier county at Salina. His place is equipped with the latest
devices for doing all kinds of work upon motor cars. In fact he is prepared to over-
haul and repair any make of machine, no matter what the trouble. He is likewise
the distributor for Salina and vicinity of the Nash automobile and he carries an ex-
tensive line of tires and accessories, in which he has built up a large trade. His garage
is known to car owners all over the state and they feel a sense of security when
they can take their machines into the Funk garage of Salina for repair work.
In 1903 Mr. Funk was married to Miss Grace Barton, a daughter of W. K. Barton,
of Sterling. They have six children: Gerald, Angeline, Walter, Leroy, Leland and
Foster, who are now pupils in the graded schools of Salina, the eldest, Gerald, being
now a pupil in the high school. Mr. Funk has devoted his entire life to his business
interests, never allowing politics or outside activities to divert him from his duties and
interests as a business man. The thoroughness and industry which he has thus dis-
played have constituted the elements of his growing success.
ALMA H. CHAMBERS.
Alma H. Chambers, city engineer of Logan, was born in Ogden, Utah, June 12, 1882,
a son of Alma D. Chambers, who was also a natice of Utah, and a grandson of John
G. and Maria (Duffin) Chambers, both of whom were natives of England. On emi-
grating to America they came to Utah as pioneer residents of the state, settling at Salt
Lake and afterward removing to Logan. Subsequently they established their home at
Ogden, where their remaining days were passed. The grandfather was a book and
stationery merchant of Ogden and was a prominent and active member of the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The father, Alma D. Chambers, was reared and
educated in Salt Lake, in Ogden and in Logan. When his textbooks were put aside he
learned the printer's trade, which he followed for many years, and for sixteen consecu-
tive years he filled the office of treasurer of Weber county, proving a most capable and
trustworthy official, discharging his duties with marked promptness and fidelity. In
politics he was a stanch republican and was very active in support of progressive
political and civic measures. He was regarded as a man of marked ability throughout
Weber county and did everything in his power to promote the public welfare along
material, political and moral lines. The mother, Anne P. (Holroyd) Chambers, is a
native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Edward and Dinah Holroyd,
who were of English and Welsh lineage respectively, the former having been born in
England, while the latter was a native of the little rock-ribbed country of Wales. Their
daughter, Mrs. Chambers, is still living and by her marriage she became the mother of
six children, four sons and two daughters, of whom one son and one daughter have now
Alma H. Chambers of this review was the eldest of the family. In the acquirement
of his education he attended the public and high schools of Ogden and afterward entered
the University of Utah, from which he was graduated in 1905 with the degrees of Min-
ing Engineer and Bachelor of Science. Following the completion of his university
course he entered upon the active practice of his profession and from 1908 until 1917
was assistant county engineer of Cache county. From the latter date to the present
time he has occupied the position of city engineer and has done important work in this
connection. On first coming to Logan he was employed by the county to draft the
present record ownership plats the first plats made for the county. He also engages
in the general practice of his profession in a private capacity in addition to his duties
as city engineer and the efficiency of his work has gained for him a liberal patronage.
Another activity of his life that is of interest is the fact that when he first left the
university he was appointed by the state commission as the representative of Utah
in 1905 at the Lewis and Clark Exposition in Portland, Oregon, and was there the assist-
ant director of the mineral exhibit, continuing as such until the close of the exposition.
Mr. Chambers was married in Salt Lake Temple on the 21st of September, 1910,
to Miss Lois Edna Daniels, a native of Provo, Utah, and a daughter of Thomas E. and
84 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
Annie (Hickman) Daniels. Mr. and Mrs. Chambers became the parents of a daughter,
Lois D., who was born in Logan, August 26, 1911. The wife and mother passed away
May 13, 1913, at the age of twenty-eight years.
In religious belief Mr. Chambers is connected with the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints. Politically he is a republican where national questions and issues
are involved, but at local elections he casts an independent ballot. He belongs to the
Logan Commercial Boosters Club and to the Utah Society of Engineers associations
which indicate the nature of his interests. That Mr. Chambers is a resourceful man
is indicated by the fact that during the summer months and other vacation periods
before he had completed school he was employed and through his earnings was enabled
to continue his studies. He was very ambitious to progress along that line and become
well qualified for the duties and responsibilities of later life. His success is due entirely
to his persistency of purpose and his indefatigable efforts, and his study and experience
have well qualified him to solve many important professional problems.
, WILLIAM Q. ANDERSON.
William Q. Anderson, one of the alert and progressive merchants of Smithfield,
where he is conducting a men's clothing establishment, was born in Denmark in 1872.
His parents were Erick and Mary T. Anderson, who came to Utah in 1881 and settled
at Logan, where the father turned his attention to farming.
William Q. Anderson was a lad of nine years at the time of the emigration of the
family to the new world. He started out in business life as an employe of George
Robinson, a dealer in men's clothing and furnishings at Logan, and afterward was
employed in the Thatcher store until 1914. In that year he removed to Smithfield,
where he established business on his own account, opening a confectionery store which
he conducted for two years. He then took the management of the men's furnishing goods
store which he is still conducting, and he is one of the progressive merchants of the
city, alert and energetic. He has built up a large trade and is always found courteous
and obliging, so that he has won popularity with his patrons.
At the time of the Spanish-American war Mr. Anderson responded to the country's
call for military aid and joined Battery B of the Utah Artillery. He was in battle in
the Philippine Islands on the 31st of July, 1898, and on the 13th of August and was
wounded on the latter date, being shot through the right lung. For more than three
months he was under a physician's care and then received an honorable discharge on
the 16th of December, 1898.
On the 15th of November, 1899, Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss
Elizabeth Facer, a daughter of Bishop George and Mary (Proyor) Facer, of Willard,
who were members of a handcart company that crossed the plains and settled at Wil-
lard in pioneer times. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson: Maud,
Leon, Ray, Pearl and Virginia. The religious faith of the family is that of the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Mr. Anderson has led a busy and useful life and,
actuated by laudable ambition in his business affairs, he has so directed his efforts that
he has now won a creditable place in commercial circles in Smithfield. Those who know
him recognize his thorough reliability as well as his enterprise and all speak of him in
terms of warm regard.
MARGARET A. FREECE, M. D.
Dr. Margaret A. Freece is one of the well known physicians of Utah, who by
professional ability and force of character has become a credit to the calling which
she represents and an honor to her sex. Her parents, Peter F. and Margaret
(Sorenson) Freece, came to Utah in 1859 as members of a handcart company
crossing the plains. They first settled in Salt Lake but in 1861 removed to Gunni-
son, casting in their lot with pioneer settlers of that district. About that time the
Indians were annoying the settlers very greatly and the family were forced to leave
that section. In 1867 they located at Scipio and there, in 1872, Dr. Freece was born.
A member of a pioneer family, she was reared amid the hardships and privations
DR. MARGARET A. FREECE
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 87
incident to frontier life and in her early girlhood she was noted for her many acts of
kindliness and helpfulness. Her preliminary education was obtained in the graded
schools and Presbyterian mission school, after which she pursued a course in the
Westminster Collegiate Institute of Salt Lake City, from which she was graduated
with the class of 1892. She then went east to Chicago and pursued a medical course
in the Northwestern University, from which she was graduated with the class of 1897,
her professional degree being conferred upon her at that time. She put her theo-
retical knowledge to the practical test by service as an interne in the Mary Thompson
Hospital of Chicago and later acted as interne in the Woman's Hospital of that
city, both institutions according her a diploma. Thus she became master of both
the theory and practice of her chosen profession. For six months she was also
connected with the Iowa Industrial School.
In 1899 Dr. Freece returned to Utah, settling at Salina, where she has since
remained, and through the intervening period she has won a wide patronage, her
practice constantly increasing both in volume and in importance. She has patients in
all parts of Sevier and adjoining counties and her ability is recognized not only by
the laity but by all representatives of the profession in southern Utah.
It is not alone as a physician that Dr. Freece has won the enviable place that
she fills. She has done important service along other lines, for she was induced to
accept a position on the school board and did excellent work in that connection for
nine years, during which period Salina's beautiful high school building was erected.
During one of her terms she served as treasurer of the board and was instrumental
in having interest paid on school funds for the first time, no previous board having
ever attempted to secure this. Dr. Freece was also one of the early directors of the
First State Bank and is the secretary, treasurer and the largest stockholder in the
Salina Grain & Milling Company, which has erected a fifty-barrel Flavo flour mill
east of the depot in Salina. The mill is equipped with the Flavo machinery and
turns out the famous Flavo fancy flour, generally conceded to be a superior product.
The grain is put to rigid tests to insure a perfect flour and the excellence of the
output has won for the industry a continued sale.
As chairman for Sevier county of the Medical Women's Hospital Associa-
tion Dr. Freece's energy, ability and love of country was evidenced by her efforts
when her county alone raised nearly half of the state's quota for the American
Medical Women's Hospital of Europe during the World war. Since its organ-
ization in March, 1917, she has been chairman of the Salina Red Cross Chapter,
including north Sevier county. In a professional way this busy woman has served
as county quarantine officer, as city physician and county physician, and she is a
councilor of the Medical Women's National Association and chairman of the Medi-
cal Women's Hospital Association. She also belongs to the Utah State Medical
Association and the American Medical Association. Though possessed of unusual
business ability and acquired professional skill, she is in every way thoroughly wom-
anly and to her scientific knowledge adds a most kindly and gentle spirit that has
made her service of untold value in the sickroom. While honest and positive in her
business dealings, she possesses keen sympathy and broad humanitarianism that have
made her a valued and loved citizen of Sevier county.
JOHN HENRY BARKER.
John Henry Barker, serving for the fourth term as sheriff of Cache county, was
born in Salt Lake City, November 2, 1863. His father, John Henry Barker, was a
native of London, England, and came to the United States in 1862. He made his way
to Utah and was identified with the educational interests of the state. He married
Susan Ann Dermott, also a native of England and now deceased.
Their son, John Henry Barker, obtained his education In the district schools of
Newton and of Logan. He has long been a resident of Cache county, residing at dif-
ferent periods in Providence and Paradise, also at Newton, and for thirty years he has
made his home at Cache Junction. He has been identified with mercantile pursuits and
for a very extended period has served as postmaster of Cache Junction. He has also
followed the occupation of farming and in everything that he has undertaken he has
displayed thoroughness, enterprise and reliability. It was the sterling qualities which
88 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
he has manifested in business and in citizenship that led to his selection to the office
of sheriff of Cache county in the fall of 1912. He filled the position most acceptably
and has been reelected three times, so that he is now serving for the fourth term in
the office. This is indicative of his fairness, impartiality and his capability as well
as his personal popularity, for he had been for two and a half years a member of the
draft board and yet he was again called to the position. He has always been elected
as a democratic candidate and he led his ticket when running for the office the third
On the 21st of September, 1887, Mr. Barker was united in marriage to Miss Emily
A. Parson, a native of England and afterward a resident of Newton, Utah. They be-
came the parents of eight children. John Henry, who is known as Henry J., went on
a mission to England covering two years. He is married and is now serving with the
United States army, being with the army of occupation in Germany. Pearl Susan is
the wife of D. A. Sanders, of Salt Lake City. Harvey F. married Letha Sayres and
they have two children. Lavon married George Ecklund, of Newton. Rhoda is em-
ployed in the Federal Bank in Salt Lake. Stephen is at home. Grace and James are
Mr. Barker is a member of the Commercial Boosters' Club. He belongs to the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he has filled all of the chairs, and he has
long been a recognized leader in the ranks of the democratic party in this section of
the state. His life has been one of activity, his labors being carefully directed along
business lines, while his official career needs no comment. Four terms' service in one
position speaks for itself. The qualities of fairness and faithfulness are among his
salient characteristics and he is most popular among his fellowmen, enjoying the high
regard of all.
MAXIMILIAN JEAN SEIDNER, M. D.
Almost every nationality is represented in the cosmopolitan citizenship of Carbon
county and among those that Russia has furnished to Utah is Dr. Maximilian Jean
Seidner, who was born in that country, November 5, 1893, his parents being Samuel
and Mary (Neuman) Seidner, who came to the United States when their son Maximilian
J. was a youth of seventeen years. They established their home in Chicago and there