by Dr Booth, this being the second residence which he has built in the city, having sold
the other. He has always made it his aim to educate his children and provide them
with such training as would well qualify them for life's practical and responsible duties.
All are high school graduates and some have received college educations and the family
is one of which he has every reason to be proud. Dr. Booth is a man of high personal
worth whose splendid qualities and genial manner have made for popularity among all
who know him.
PARLEY A. MURDOCH.
Parley A. Murdock, a farmer and stockman of Wasatch county, was bdrn at Amer-
ican Fork, Utah, February 3, 1859, and is a son of Joseph S. and Elizabeth (Hunter)
Murdock. The father was a native of the state of New York and the mother of Scot-
land. They crossed the plains with ox teams in 1849, being among the pioneer set-
tlers of Utah. They arrived at Salt Lake City, the father bringing with him the first
three sheep that were introduced into the state. In his later years he settled at Heber
and was engaged in the live stock business there until his death. He was the father
of thirty-one children, most of whom reached adult age.
Parley A. Murdock was reared and educated in Utah and remained under the
parental roof until he had attained his majority. He afterward engaged in farming
and stock raising on his own account and has since followed these pursuits. He now
has a herd of about seventy-five head of cattle, while his sheep number three thousand.
He also owns fifty-five hundred acres of land. As the years have passed he has pros-
pered in his undertakings and has developed his interests until he is now one of the
substantial farmers and stockmen of his section of the state.
In 1882 Mr. Murdock was married to Miss Lucy Hundley, a native of Wasatch
county. They have become the parents of twelve children, of whom five are yet liv-
ing: Joseph T.; Ireetta, the wife of J. W. Dean; Josephine, who gave her hand in
marriage to Edward Green, of Chicago; Jessie, who is the wife of Emmett Shields;
and Alice, at home.
In his political views Mr. Murdock is a republican and for one term he served as
a member of the city council of Heber, but his ambition has not been in the line of
office holding. He has always stood for progressive public measures, however, and is
interested in everything that pertains to the welfare and upbuilding of the community
in which he lives. He is a self-made man and he has assisted in making the county
what it is today. Throughout his life he has made wise use of his time, his talents
and his opportunities and has won a place among the leading agriculturists and stock
raisers of Wasatch county, and at the same time he has become one of the directors of
the Heber Mercantile Company. His life should serve to encourage others, showing
what may be accomplished when one has the will to dare and to do.
John Arneson, a wide-awake and progressive business man of Salina, con-
ducting his interests under the name of the John Arneson Lumber Company, is
of Norwegian birth and his natal day was February 12, 1858. After obtaining a
thorough education in the graded schools of Norway he began learning the trade
of cabinetmaking, which he followed in the land of the midnight sun until 1882,
when he decided to come to the new world. He first settled in Iowa in the fall
of that year but after six months decided to continue his journey westward. He
then went to North Dakota and took up his abode at Grand Forks, where he con-
ducted business as a contractor and builder, there remaining until 1893, during
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 431
which time he built up a large and prosperous business. In that year he i-emoved
to Salt Lake City, Utah, and was awarded contracts for the erection of many im-
portant structures in Salt Lake county, including the Markham concentration
plant at Bingham. His wandering ceased when he reached Salina in 1893, for
through the succeeding twenty-six years he has remained contentedly here and
is regarded as one of the most reliable and progressive of the citizens of Sevier
county. In 1913 he extended the scope of his contracting business to include
commercial activity through the establishment of the John Arneson Lumber Com-
pany, which has become one of Salina's chief business assets. The lumberyard
occupies a plot of ground in a prominent part of Main street and is one hundred
and seven by two hundred and fifty feet in extent. The business is thoroughly
systematized, each department is under cover and over the door the name of the
department is painted. The yard has the appearance of a well arranged store
and everything is most neat and systematic. The stock embraces not only all
dimensions of lumber but separate sheds are used for each size and there are
also separate departments for the builders' hardware, the doors and sash, the
paints, oils, glass, cement and plaster. The company handles everything covered
by the term building material and the trade covers all of the northern section
of Sevier county and also extends into Wayne and Millard counties. A stock is
carried valued at fifteen thousand dollars. While Mr. Arneson has not given his
personal attention to the contracting business for a number of years, he still takes
important jobs. He was the builder of the Salina high school, the Latter-day
Saints church of the second ward, the city hall and numerous other leading struc-
tures of Salina. Mr. Arneson is concentrating his efforts now upon the develop-
ment of the trade of the Arneson Lumber Company, which acts as agents for the
Lowe Brothers paints, the Utah Portland cement and Jumbo plaster. The business
of the house is most carefully managed and progressive methods have ever char-
acterized the commercial career of Mr. Arneson, who is today one of the leading
business men and citizens of Salina.
Fraternally Mr. Arneson is well known as a thirty-second degree Mason and
a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows at Richfield, which order he joined at Grand Forks, North Dakota,
in 1887; and is likewise connected with the Concatenated Order of Hoo Hoo, an
organization of lumbermen, and is a member of the Western Retail Lumber Dealers
Association. It is said of him in business circles that "John Arneson is as straight
as a string" a well deserved tribute to his unfailing integrity and reliability and
indicating the sterling characteristics of the man.
HENRY A. THEURER.
Henry A. Theurer, who follows merchandising at Providence and is an alert and
progressive young business man, was born July 16, 1881, in the town where he still re-
sides, his parents being Frederick and Christina (Schuller) Theurer. The father was
a native of Germany, while the mother came from Switzerland. Frederick Theurer
arrived in Utah in 1861, settling at Providence, where he engaged in blacksmithing for
several years, while later he took up the occupation of farming and stock raising. He
'was ordained bishop of Providence ward and filled the office for twenty years. He also
filled two misisons to Switzerland and Germany.
Henry A. Theurer obtained his early education in the schools of Providence and,
afterward was a student in Brigham Young College through 1892 and 1893. When his
textbooks were put aside he turned his attention to the live stock business and on the
1st of June, 1905, he took up merchandising, establishing a store that is now conducted
under the firm style of Theurer Brothers. They carry a large and well selected line of
goods and the completeness of their stock, combined with their honorable dealings and
progressive methods, has won for them a liberal patronage.
In June, 1911, Mr. Theurer was married to Miss Bessie Low, a daughter of William
B. and Parthenia (Blair) Low. The four children of this marriage are Reed, Beth,
Mark and Beryl.
Mr. Theurer is a member of the Thirty-second Quorum of Seventy. Necessarily his
time and energies are concentrated largely upon his business and the development of
432 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
his trade is due to his close application, persistency of purpose and progressive methods.
He is classed with the representative merchants of Providence and in fact largely sets
the standard for mercantile activity in his native town. Mr. Theurer gives his political
allegiance to the republican party and has ably served as a member of the town board
for one term of two years.
Andrew Hansen, serving for the second term as county assessor of Sevier county
and making his home at Elsinore, was born at Redmond, Utah, in 1888, and is the son
of James and Lizzie (Frandsen) Hansen. The father is a native of Sanpete county,
Utah, and a representative citizen as well as devout churchman.
Andrew Hansen was educated in the graded schools of Redmond and in the Brig-
ham Young University of Provo. Following his graduation on the completion of his
university course he took up the profession of school teaching and for several years
was a teacher at Elsinore and at Centerfield, proving most capable in that connection
by reason of the clear and interesting manner in which he imparted to others the 'knowl-
edge that he had acquired. In 1916 his fellow citizens prevailed upon him to accept the
position of county assessor and he was elected to the office by a flattering vote. That
he proved most capable and efficient in the discharge of his duties is indicated in the fact
that he was reelected in 1918 for a second term. No office in the county is more certain
to make enemies than that of assessor and the reelection is a tribute to Mr. Hansen's
ability and fairness.
In 1911 Mr. Hansen was married to Miss Olive Sorenson, a daughter of Soren
Sorenson, of Elsinore, one of the oldest and best known citizens and merchants of Sevier
county. Mrs. Hansen was educated in the graded schools of Elsinore and in the Brig-
ham Young University and, like her husband, took up the work of teaching school. She
has also been an active worker in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and
for a time was secretary of the stake primary board and a counselor in the Young
Ladies Mutual Improvement Association, of which she is now president, while for
many years before her marriage she was a teacher in the Sunday schools. At the
present writing she is a member of the choir of the Elsinore church and is as popular
as a matron as in the days of her girlhood. She conducts the Olive Millinery, having
one of the most attractive establishments of southern Utah. Mr. Hansen has also done
considerable church work, being* a member of the Seventy when just a young boy and
at Elsinore was counselor in the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association and was
afterward president of the same association for two years. Mr. and Mrs. Hansen have
become the parents of two children. Harold James and Andrew Thaddeus, the elder now
a pupil in the public schools of Elsinore. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hansen are widely and
favorably known and their labors have been an element in public progress, while
their aid and influence are always given on the side of advancement, improvement and
JOHN M. MURDOCK'
With the agricultural development of Beaver, John M. Murdock is closely associated,
having a large farm which is most carefully and successfully cultivated. He also raises
stock and is meeting with substantial prosperity in that branch of his business also.
Mr. Murdock is a native of Lehi, Utah, born September 11, 1852. His parents were
Orice and Margaret (Molen) Murdock, both of American birth. They cast in their lot
with the pioneer settlers of Utah in 1849, were married in this state and in 1851 took
up their abode in Lehi, where the father followed farming until 1867. He then removed
to Beaver, where he remained for five years, when he took up his abode in Nebraska.
After several years, however, he returned to Beaver, where he passed away in 1916.
John M. Murdock obtained a public school education at Lehi and is a practical
farmer and stockman, having continued in the business very successfully throughout
his entire life. His persistence and energy have overcome all obstacles and difficulties
in his path and he has made steady progress, owning now a large farm on which stands
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD- 433
a splendid residence and all modern improvements and equipment. He has reduced the
amount of stock to what he can now feed in the winter months, finding this the most
profitable way. He thus obtains a double profit from what he raises and there is very
little loss in the stock. He likewise has mining interests in Beaver county claiming
some of his attention and is one of the stockholders in the Farmers & Stock Growers
In 1877 Mr. Murdock was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Hamblin, who passed
away in 1879. The only child of that marriage died in infancy. In 1884 Mr. Murdock
wedded Susan J. Smith, of Beaver, and they have become the parents of six children.
Warren F., born April 26, 1887, married Myrtle Eyre and has four children. Julia M.,
born September 17, 1889, is the wife of Loren Hall and has three children. John P.,
born December 11, 1894, married Lucile Beck and has two children. Lacy J. was born
December 11, 1900, Clark G., November 18, 1903, and Wallace S., October 14, 1906.
The religious ^aith of the family is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints, and Mr. Murdock has been an active church worker, serving as bishop lor twi
years, at the end of which time he resigned. At present he is a member of the stake 'high
council. His political endorsement is given to the republican party, for he firmly be-
lieves that its principles contain the best elements of good government. He served as
chairman of the board of county commissioners for four years, has been a member of the
city council for four years, and for two years was mayor of Beaver. In 1909 and 1910
"he was a member of the state legislature and he was also elected assessor and collector,
but resigned the position in order to give his undivided attention to his private business
interests. He is a member of one of the oldest, best known and most substantial families
of southern Utah, a family that "has contributed largely to the work of the church and to
the upbuilding of the state.
JOHN H. LE FEVRE.
John H. Le Fevre, the owner of valuable ranch property and stock raising interests
near Panguitch, where he makes his home, was born at Parowan, Utah, May 2, 1862, his
parents being William and Hannah (Holyoak) Le Fevre, who were pioneer settlers of
Utah, having crossed the plains with oxen at an early day. They took up their abode at
Parowan, October 31, 1852, and there resided until 1871, when Mr. Le Fevre removed
with the first settlers to Panguitch. While in Parowan he participated in the Walker and
the Black Hawk Indian wars and was in reality a minuteman throughout all the Indian
troubles. He and his wife filled a two years' mission to the St. George Temple. His
general occupation was that of farming and stock raising, but at the present time he is
living retired, having since 1871 made his home in Panguitch. He has now reached the
ripe old age of eighty-six years, while his wife is seventy-eight years of age.
After attending the common schools of Parowan and Panguitch, John H. Le Fevre
worked with his father upon the home farm. Throughout his entire life he has carried
on general agricultural pursuits and stock raising, handling both cattle and sheep. He
started out in business independently at the time of his marriage, continuing in the
same line as his father, and he has been quite successful as the years have passed. He
today has five hundred acres of land and has important stock raising and sheep raising
interests, meeting with substantial success along the various lines of his business. He
is a stockholder in the Garfield State Bank and in the Southern Utah Equitable Com-
On the 26th of December, 1887, Mr. Le Fevre was married to Miss Harriet Gale, a
daughter of Henry and Hannah (Holroyd) Gale, who were natives of England. When
a young man Mr. Gale went to Australia and in 1849 became a convert to the teachings
of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was married and removed to
California in 1851, settling in San Bernardino. When the people of his faith were
called to Utah he made his way over the southern route, settling in Beaver in 1858.
He made one trip with cattle after emigrants to the Missouri river. He remarried
Hannah Holroyd in Salt Lake City. While living at Beaver he followed farming
and there he passed away in 1892, while the mother died in 1907. To Mr. and Mrs.
Le Fevre have been born eight children. Annie, born September 24, 1888, married Ralph
Wilcock and has four children. Effie, born October 24, 1890, is the wife of Delbert Wil-
cock and the mother of five children. The younger members of the family are: Henry
434 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
J., born August 9, 1894; Harriet, February 11, 1898; Blanche, January 24, 1900; lola,
June 26, 1903; Leonard G., August 29, 1905; and Frances, November 8, 1907. The son
Henry J. joined the army June 26, 1918, and went to France on the 20th of August. He
was sent to the front on the 26th of September and was killed in action on the 12th of
October in the Argonne forest, while serving as a member of the Three Hundred and
Eighth Infantry of the Seventy-seventh Division. He was thus called upon to make the
supreme sacrifice and lies with the twenty thousand other brave American boys who sleep
in the Argonne cemetery.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints. Politically Mr. Le Fevre is a republican and while not an aspirant for office is
always loyal to the best interests of his city and the commonwealth at large, and his
cooperation can be counted upon to further any plan or project for the general good.
WILLIAM H. ROTHWELL, M. D.
Dr. William H. Rothwell, a leading physician of Murray, was born in Placerville,
Idaho, September 17, 1876, a son of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Rothwell, who were natives of
Canada. The father was a pioneer physician of Placerville, to which place he removed
in the '60s, there remaining until 1887, when he became a resident of Denver, Colorado,
in which city Dr. Rothwell of this review pursued his education. He is the eldest of three
sons, the second being Matthew, a physician now practicing in Phoenix, Arizona, and S. G.
Rothwell, who two years ago completed his college course and is now practicing with
his brother William.
In the attainment of his professional education and the .accomplishment of his
college work William H. Rothwell attended the University of Colorado and also the
Gross Medical College of Denver. Having thus qualified for the profession, he practiced
in Denver for three years, after which he removed to Bingham, Utah, where he was
located for an equal period. In 1906 he came to Murray, where he has since remained
and has been most successful in his practice, which is now extensive and of a substantial
character. He -is also part owner of the Murray City Pharmacy, his associate in the
undertaking being George A. Huscher. In addition to his other interests Dr. Rothwell
is a stockholder in the First National Bank of Murray and he is the physician and
surgeon for the American Smelting & Refining Company. He owns an office building
and the lot adjoining his residence, which is one of the fine homes of Murray.
In 1908 Dr. Rothwell was married to Miss Arville Sorenson, a native of Utah and of
Danish descent. They have two children, Helen and Robert.
Dr. Rothwell belongs to the Episcopal church and is a Mason of high rank, having
become a thirty-second degree Mason in the consistory, and he is also connected with
the Mystic Shrine. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party and for
six years he was health officer of Murray and also a member of the school board. His
military record covers service with the Medical Corps in the Philippines for a year and a
half. He enlisted from Denver at the time of the Spanish-American war and went to
the orient, where he did active duty along the line of his profession in the Philippines.
During the World war he was chairman of the draft board. Along strictly professional
lines he has connection with the County, State and American Medical Associations
and he attended the convention of the American Medical Association at Atlantic City
in 1919. He always keeps in close touch with the onward march of professional thought
and progress and is thoroughly familiar with the latest ideas put forth by the profes-
sion and quickly adopts any which his sound judgment sanctions as of real practical
value in his chosen life work.
JOHN B. HILL.
John B. Hill, a carpenter of Wellsville, was born in Nauvoo, Illinois, March 17.
1846, a son of John and Margaret (Brice) Hill, who were natives of Scotland, the former
born in Renfrewshire and the latter in Glasgow. They went to Illinois in 1842 as con-
verts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and settled at Nauvoo, where
they resided until 1846, when they removed to Winterquarters, leaving Nauvoo at the
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 435
time of the expulsion of the Mormons from that city. In 1850 they came to Utah, settling
in Salt Lake City, where they remained until the spring of 1860. In the previous year
Mr. Hill, in connection with his brother, Daniel Hill, built the first grist mill in the
Cache valley at Wellsvllle. He was a cooper by trade and worked along that line, at the
same time assisting in the flour mill. He was thus engaged until 1864, when he was ac-
cidentally killed while bear hunting. He had been a faithful follower of the church
and was a member of the Seventy.
John B. Hill acquired his education in the schools of Salt Lake and of Wellsyllle
and in early life learned and followed the carpenter's trade. He also engaged in freight-
ing at an early day and passed through all of the hardships, privations and interesting
experiences of pioneer times. In 1866 he made a trip with the Peter Nebeker train to
the Missouri river for Mormon emigrants and again made the trip in 1868 with the
Captain Chester Loveland train.
In 1876 Mr. Hill was married to Miss Margery Kerr, a daughter of David and Agnes
(Archibald) Kerr. They have become the parents of nine children, of whom seven are
Mr. Hill has served as justice of the peace and has been a member of the city council
for one term. He has filled a mission in the temple at St. George and later was called
to St. Johns, Arizona. He has likewise been president of the Young Men's Mutual Im-
provement Association of Wellsville and has done everything in his power to promote
the material, intellectual, social and moral progress of the community in which he
resides. He has now passed the seventy-third milestone on life's journey but still re-
mains an active factor in the world's work and yet continues to follow the trade of
LOUIS E. PIERCE, D. D. S.
Dr. Louis E. Pierce is today the oldest dentist of Eureka in years of continuous
practice in the city and he has also ever maintained a foremost position by reason of his
skill and ability. He was born in Brattleboro, Vermont, October 20, 1873, and is a son
of Joseph Warren and Cordelia D. (Ingraham) Pierce, representatives of old New
England families. He obtained a high school education at Keene, New Hampshire, to
which place his parents removed during his infancy. Having determined upon the
practice of dentistry as a life work, he went to Boston, Massachusetts, where he entered
the Boston Dental College, from which he was graduated in 1898. For several years
he worked in a dental office before attending school and thus his interest in the profes-
sion was aroused. He practised for a few years at Bloomington, Illinois, after complet-
ing his college course and later was for a year associated with Dr. Zimmerman at Salt
Lake City. In 1906 he removed to Eureka, where he opened an office, and through the
intervening period he has enjoyed an extensive practice, handling with capability and
precision the many delicate little instruments that form the equipment of the dentist.
In 1906 Dr. Pierce was married to Miss Myrtle Swaine, of Bloomington, Illinois.
Fraternally he is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and politically
is a supporter of the republican party. His wife is an active member of the Catholic
church. Both are well known in Eureka, where they have won high regard, the hos-