JOHN W. BOUD, JR.
John W. Boud, Jr., is the cashier of the Nephi National Bank and a representative
business man of Nephi whose enterprise and progressive spirit are contributing in
marked measure of the development of the city. He was born at Salt Lake City, June
1, 1881, and is a son of John W. and Elizabeth Boud. The father was born in Keokuk,
Iowa, and the mother in Salt Lake City.
In the acquirement of his education John W. Boud passed through consecutive
grades to his graduation from the Salt Lake high school and afterward won his Bach-
elor of Arts degree at the University of Utah. He then went to Germany, where he
filled a mission for two years, and after being released from the mission he was
traveling auditor in Europe for the International Harvester Company of America.
His work in that connection took him to many European countries and brought him
that wide knowledge and experience which can be gained in no other way as rapidly
as in travel. Returning to Salt Lake in 1905, he entered banking circles as teller in
the Walker Brothers Bank, with which he was connected until he removed to Nephi to
become cashier of the Nephi National Bank in July, 1917. He has since occupied this
position and is a most popular official, doing everything in his power to promote the
interests of the bank and protect the rights of its depositors and its stockholders. The
bank is connected with the American Bankers Association and Mr. Boud has pursued
a course of study and passed the examination of the American Bankers Association.
This necessitated his going to New York city once each year while taking the course.
He is a very energetic and enterprising young man and largely through his efforts the
resources of the bank have been raised to five hundred thousand dollars, or more
than doubled since 1917. The officers of the Nephi National Bank are: J. S. Ostler,
president; T. A. Foote, vice president; and Edgar S. Hills, A. J. Aagard, Ephraim
Ellertson, I. H. Grace, Barton Brough, J. E- Ostler and George Francom, directors, in
connection with the two officers.
JOHN F. JONES.
Very extensive farming interests are managed and directed by John F. Jones, whose
success is the direct outcome of his own labors and who at all times displays sound judg-
ment in the conduct of his important agricultural interests. He was born in Goshen,
Utah, July 20, 1858, a son of William P. and Emma (Jay) Jones, who were natives of
Birmingham, England. Emigrating to America in 1850, they made their way across the
country to Utah, settling at Salt Lake City, and later were called to open up for
settlement Las Vegas, Nevada, but owing to the hostility of the Indians at that time
returned to Utah. They resided at Goshen, where their son John F. was born, and
they also lived for a time at Fillmore, but finally settled at Beaver. The father was a
tinner by trade and for years he made most of the tinware sold by stores of Beaver.
He ako opened a hardware store, carrying a full line of shelf and heavy hardware and
stoves, obtaining the latter by the carload. He built the business block now occupied by
the Beaver State Bank and the Mansfield-Murdock Mercantile Company. ' He continued
actively in business for many years, gaining substantial success, but eventually sold out
at Beaver and opened a similar establishment at Tintic, where he passed away.
John F. Jones acquired a common school education at Beaver and when about
twenty years of age took up the occupation of mining, which he followed for a decade.
He then returned to his native county and bought a farm near Beaver, after which he
concentrated his attention upon general farming and stock raising. He also opened
a general merchandise store at Adamsville and managed the business for several years,
but eventually sold out and built the Beaver Hotel. Near this he established an im-
plement and hardware business which was destroyed by. fire in 1912. He immediately
rebuilt but rented the building to the Consolidated Wagon & Machine Company. He
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 491
turned over the management of his hotel to his daughter, Mrs. Pearce, and he is now
concentrating his efforts and attention upon the control and development of his three
farms, one of which contains two thousand acres, and the care of his live stock. In
everything that he has undertaken he has won success. In his vocabulary there is
no such word as fail and obstacles and difficulties in his path seem but to serve as an
impetus for renewed and determined effort on his part.
In Beaver county, in 1883, Mr. Jones married Mrs. Theda Ennes Paschall, to whom
two daughters were born, by her former husband, their names being Lottie and Brucie
V. Mrs. Jones is the daughter of William and Anna (Lambson) Ennes. Her father
was a Union soldier in the Civil war, was made a prisoner and was shot. The mother
came to Utah from Michigan and first settled in Juab county but is now living in Beaver.
Although well advanced in years she is still hale and hearty. To Mr. and Mrs. Jones
have been born six children. Eva, born March 8, 1885, is the wife of W. B. Fennemore
and the mother of three children; Emma, born November 28, 1886, is the wife of R. H.
Barton and has three children; Ennes, born March 17, 1889, married Sadie Fotheringham
and they have two children; John W., born September 8, 1891, married Lydia Nielsen;
Lucy, born March 17, 1894, married Edgar H. White, by whom she has two children;
and Celia, born April 9, 1896, is teaching in the public schools.
The religious belief of the family is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints. In his political views Mr. Jones is a republican and for two terms has served as
county assessor, and was one of the first republican councilmen elected in Beaver city.
Mr. Jones has also served Beaver county several terms as county commissioner and in
1908 was one of the principals in the establishment of the First National Bank of Beaver
city. 'In 1910 he was elected president of the bank and has held that position until the
present time. Progress and improvement find expression in his life, and his enterprise
has carried him into successful and important business relations.
MATTHIAS CHRISTIAN ANDREASON HANSEN.
The subject of this sketch is generally known as Matthias Christian Andreason.
He has done important work in the upbuilding of southern Utah as a contractor and
builder and is now the owner of an excellent farm property near Salina. He was
born in Denmark in April, 1847, his parents being Andreas and Marie (Anderson)
Hansen. Upon being converted to the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-
day Saints, their son, Matthias C. Andreason, came to the new world with his mother,
the father having previously passed away in Denmark about 1870. Following his ar-
rival in Utah, Mr. Andreason was engaged in mining in the Cottonwood district and was
active along that line until 1872, when he removed to Manti, where he resumed work
at the mason's trade, which he had learned in Manti. He later became a contractor and
for twenty-five years thereafter was the leading builder of southern Utah, in which
section of the state many fine public and private buildings stand as monuments to his
skill and ability. In Manti he erected the South Ward meetinghouse, the Presbyterian
chapel and many fine residences. He did contracting in Ephraim, Gunnison, Monroe,
Salina and many other towns in southern Utah and finally settled at Salina, where
he has since continued to make his home. He purchased land and turned his attention
to farming, now cultivating eighty acres pleasantly situated two miles west of Salina.
He devotes most of his farm to wheat and has been very successful in the further cul-
tivation and development of the property.
Mr. Andreason has been married three times. His first wife, who in her maiden-
hood was Mary A. Lund, passed away in 1872. In 1880 he married Johanna Marie
Peterson, who died in 1908, and a few years later Mr. Andreason wedded Mrs. Rosella
Curtis McDonald, a daughter of John Curtis, of Aurora, who was one the earliest
pioneers and Indian fighters of southern Utah. Mr. Andreason's children are Christian
Hansen, Mrs. Mattie Nichols, Peter Hansen, Mrs. Mary Price, Mrs. Selona Davidson,
Thorell Hansen, Mrs. M. G. Curtis and Arthur Hansen. Mr. Andreason also reared
and educated Angus and Lyle McDonald. Arthur Hansen was one of the first young
men in Salina to volunteer for service in the World war. He was sent to Fort Berry,
California, for training and soon afterward went to France. Angus McDonald, the
son of Mrs. Andreason, was also a soldier in his country's service and was sent to
492 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
Europe, where he did active duty with the troops in France and afterward became one
of the army of occupation following the signing of the armistice. He received his
honorable discharge and is now at his home.
In his church work Mr. Andreason has been very faithful and has been ordained
a high priest, while for many years he has been a teacher in the first ward. He has
never held public office, having no taste for politics, yet he takes an active interest in
all matters pertaining to the general good. He became president of the Rocky Ford
Reservoir Company, serving in that office for two terms, and was president of the Salina
Creek Company for two terms. As the years passed he acquired large holdings in city
property, but this has been divided into homes for his children. He is a man of gra-
cious spirit and kindly nature, whose life has been well spent, and he has come to the
evening of his days honored and respected by all who know him.
HON. JOSEPH E. CARBON.
Hon. Joseph E. Cardon, of Logan, is leaving the impress of his individuality and
ability upon the history of his state as a member of the Utah general assembly and
upon the commercial development of his city as general manager of the Cardon
Company. He was born in Logan, October 28, 1872; His father, Paul Cardon, one
of the pioneers of Cache county and a most highly respected citizen, was born
December 28, 1839, at Prarustin, Italy, a son of Phillip and Marie (Tourn) Cardon.
A contemporary historian has said: "The Gardens found a place of refuge in the
Italian Alps during the awful days of persecution that cost the lives of tens of
thousands of noble souls who maintained that every person had the right to worship
God as he chose. Many of the Cardons were numbered among the martyrs. They
were of the Waldenses and the second family in Italy to accept the restored gospel
of Jesus Christ as taught by the Latter-day Saints, under the direction of the late
President Lorenzo Snow. This notable event in their lives took place in the year
1852." In February, 1854, Phillip Cardon with his family of four sons and two
daughters left his native land to join the Latter-day Saints who had colonized Utah.
They had already endured persecution for their belief and they did not dread facing
the hardships that must await them after reaching the west. They arrived at their
destination October 29, 1854, with the Robert Campbell company, settling in Weber
county, where they remained until 1858, when the move southward was made. Paul
Cardon was stationed as a guard to set fire to the homes and grain if it was necessary
to do so. He was also one of the guards in Echo canyon and endured the hardships
incident to the development of that section. The previous year he married Susannah
Goudin, who crossed the plains with a handcart company, arriving in Utah, September
26, 1856. They became parents of six sons and five daughters, of whom two sons
and a daughter have passed away. In December, 1869, he married Magdalene Beus,
who had come to Utah as a child with the Ellsworth handcart company, and to this
marriage were born nine children, six of whom survive the father. After the return
from the south the Cardon family settled at Marriott, Weber county, and in 1859
Paul Cardon, with his father and brother Phillip, came to Logan, which was then a
tiny hamlet containing only a few families. They became active factors in the
development of the new settlement and its protection against the Indians. Paul
Cardon aided in building the first log house in Logan and he afterward participated
in the defense of the settlers against several Indian attacks, many times risking hi
own life in defending others. He became prominently identified with the religious,
military, social and civil organizations of Logan and the Cache valley in the early
days. In a military capacity he became first lieutenant of cavalry, receiving his
commission from the president of the United States. As a local civil officer he served
as the first treasurer of Logan and for many years as marshal. He had charge of the
Temple Mill in Logan canyon, which furnished the lumber for the Logan Temple,
and he assisted in surveying and building the Logan Canyon road. His activities
in behalf of material advancement and moral progress in his community were most
pronounced and valuable. One said of him: "It is impossible for the present gen-
eration to fully appreciate what yon and your good wife have done for the development
of Cache valley." Paul Cardon remained a resident of Logan until 1892, when he
removed to Benson ward, securing a large farm. He there became one of the
HON. JOSEPH E. CARDON
.UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 497
bishopric of the ward, and he and his wives were greatly loved and honored there
because of their many good deeds and their sacrifice for the benefit of others.
Desiring to spend their last days among their children, they returned to Logan during
the year 1912, taking up their abode in the seventh ecclesiastical ward. Paul Garden
was the father of twenty children, fourteen of whom survived at the time of his
death, was the grandfather of seventy-three and the great-grandfather of seventeen.
One of the local papers said of him: "In the passing of Paul Garden, another of the
old faithful pioneers goes to his well earned rest and leaves in his large posterity
and multitude of friends the richest legacy that can come to any mortal. He is the
last member of the second generation of Gardens to pass to the great beyond. Of
him it can be truthfully said: 'He was one of God's noblemen, an honest man
devoted to good works.' "
Joseph B. Cardon, son of Paul Cardon, was educated in the public schools of
Logan and in the Brigham Young College, from which he was graduated in 1894 on
completing a course in the normal department. Following his graduation he taught
school in Logan for a period of two years. Prior to this, however, he was engaged
in mercantile lines and was secretary and stockholder in the Cardon Jewelry Com-
pany, being closely associated with that enterprise for several years. In 1896 he
was called to serve on a mission in the northern states and spent the first year in
Indianapolis, acting as president of the Northern Indiana Conference. During the
last year and a half he made his headquarters in Chicago, where he was secretary
of the mission for eighteen months. He then returned to Utah in the spring of 1899
and organized the Logan Knitting Factory, of which he was elected president. With
this he was actively associated for eight years. He likewise became manager of the
Howell-Cardon Company, which is now the Shamhart-Christiansen-Howell-Cardon
Company, owners of Logan's leading department store. He remained in the latter
business for two years. In 1909 he became connected with the Cardon Company, with
which he has since been identified save for a period of three years spent in Inde-
pendence, Missouri. He was also the editor of the Liahona, the elders' journal, from
1913 to 1916 inclusive. This is a weekly paper and has a circulation of between
fifteen and twenty thousand copies. While acting as editor of the paper he traveled
extensively in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Texas and Illinois in the interest of
ecclesiastical matters, and in church work he has always taken a very active and
helpful part. He is a member of the Logan first ward and he served as bishop of
the ward from 1900 until 1906 inclusive. He was also in the stake presidency as
counselor until 1911 and has since been made a patriarch, being ordained in February,
Joseph E. Cardon has thus divided his time, attention and energies between
secular and church affairs and it is characteristic of him that he carries forward to
successful completion whatever he undertakes, whether in the upbuilding of the
moral forces of the community or the advancement of its material welfare. The
Cardon Company, of which he is the general manager, conducts one of the largest
business enterprises in the state and in its control Mr. Cardon has shown splendid
powers of organization. He now bends his energies to constructive effort and admin-
istrative direction, utilizing every opportunity that opens in the natural ramifications
of trade. His sound judgment enables him to avoid the pitfalls into which unre-
stricted progressiveness is so often led and to direct his energies along those lines
where fruition is certain.
The name of Joseph E. Cardon also figures most prominently upon the pages
of Utah's political history. He takes the keenest interest in political and civic
matters and puts forth every effort that will advance the welfare of the state along
those lines. His allegiance is given to the democratic party and he was a delegate
to the Baltimore convention of 1912, on which occasion he received the largest
vote cast in the state convention. In 1912 he was elected to the state legislature and
reelection has continued him in the office for three successive terms, each nomination
being made by acclamation. During the last session of the general assembly he
became widely known as the father of the Blue Sky bill, also the Red Flag bill and
other leading measures. During two terms' service in the general assembly he was
chairman of the committee on appropriations and in the three sessions he has served
on the committee on education and state institutions.
On the 16th of September, 1896, in Logan Temple, Mr. Cardon was married to
Miss Sophia Wilson, a native of Logan and a daughter of Joseph and Ann (McCor-
498 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD.
mick) Wilson, whose people were pioneer settlers of Logan. Mrs. Wilson has now
passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Cardon have become parents of eight children: Joseph
LeGrand, who died in infancy; Joseph E., Jr.; Rula; Sybil; Bartell W.; Karma;
Virginia; and Blanche. All were born in Logan with the exception of Blanche, whose
birth occurred in Independence, Missouri. The family residence, owned by Mr.
Cardon, is at No. 56 West Second North street. Through the period of the war no
one questioned the one hundred per cent Americanism of Joseph E. Cardon, whose
labors were untiring for the benefit of his country in connection with the prosecution
of the great World war in the interests of world democracy. He was a member of
the County Council of Defense, was chairman of war prison work and of the home
service department. He also engaged actively in the sale of Liberty bonds and War
Savings Stamps and took a most earnest and helpful part in advancing the interests
of the Red Cross. Such in brief is the history of Joseph E. Cardon, whose developing
powers have brought him to the front as one of Utah's most substantial and eminent
citizens. He and his family are today among the largest property owners of Logan,
having built many of the leading business blocks of the city. There is no phase of
the city's development and progress with which they have not been associated, and
while holding to high ideals, their efforts have ever been of a most practical and
resultant character. Joseph E. Cardon has ever been a man of action rather than of
theory and thus his name stands high in connection with the business and legislative
history of the state.
JAMES ERNEST WORKS.
James Ernest Works is one of the live business men of the town of Delta where
since 1911 he has been manager for the Delta yard of the Bonneville Lumber Company.
He was born in Manti, Utah, in 1885, a son of Edwin M. and Maria (Munk) Works.
The father was also a native of Manti and a son of J. M. Works, who was among the
earliest of the Utah pioneers.
In the graded schools of his native city James E. Works pursued his early education
and afterward attended the Utah Agricultural College at Logan. His father being en-
gaged in the lumber business, he early took up that line of endeavor and was associated
with bis father for six years, becoming thoroughly acquainted with every branch of the
trade. He later connected himself with the Baker Lumber Company, the name of
which concern was later changed to Bonneville Lumber Company. In 1911 Mr. Works
was appointed to the responsible position of manager at Delta and has since resided in
this city, where he has not only built up a large business for the corporation which he
represents but has also become established as one of the most progressive and energetic
business men of his community. What he undertakes he accomplishes and in his
vocabulary there is no such word as fail.
In 1913 Mr. Works was married to Miss Hazel Huff, of Oasis, Utah, a daughter of
Henry Huff, one of the leading business men of the town. Two children have blessed
this union, Maxine and Phyllis. Mr. Works is a member of the Mormon church and in
1908 was called on a mission to England, where he labored for two years. In 1917 he
was elected a member of the board of town trustees for a term of two years. He has
done effective public work, his aid and influence always being given on the side of
progress and improvement, his labors resulting most beneficially for the welfare of the
IRA W. HATCH.
Ira W. Hatch, now of Panguitch, Garfield county, Utah, was born at Bountiful,
Dayis county, Utah, June 1, 1852, a son of Meltiar and Permelia (Snyder) Hatch. Mel-
tiar Hatch was a member of the Mormon Battalion and marched to California in 1847.
After being discharged from the military service he returned to his home in the East
by way of Utah, but the following year came to Utah with his family and settled in
Bountiful, Davis county. He was among the company who first colonized Carson Valley,
Nevada. After spending a few years in Nevada, he returned to Utah and was called to
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 499
the Dixie Mission in 1862. Three years were spent at Santa Clara, Washington county.
Utah, after which he assisted in colonizing Eagle valley and Spring valley, now in
Nevada, In 1872 he moved to Panguitch, Garfield county, Utah, and later went to
Hatchtown, Garfield county, where he spent the remainder of his life.
Ira W. Hatch received a common school education and is engaged in farming and
stock raising. He is associated with a number of the business enterprises of the coun-
try. He was married in 1878 to Mary D. Houston, who was born in 1858, a daughter of
James and Margaret (Crawford) Houston, who were natives of Scotland and emigrated
to Utah in 1848. The father died at St. George in 1864, leaving a family of eight children,
whom the mother managed to keep together, rearing them to manhood and woman-
hood. She died in Panguitch in 1912. To Mr. and Mrs. Hatch have been born ten chil-
dren: Margaret, who is married to Albert F. Haycock, Jr. and has four children;
Elizabeth D., who is married to Arthur McAllister and has four children; James L., who
is married to Delia Huffaker; Amy O.; Mary D., who is married to Thomas Davis and
has three children; Meltiar V.; Houston; Algia; and Permelia and Ira W., both of
whom died in infancy. James L. was a member of the United States army and was
discharged in December, 1918. Meltiar V. enlisted in the army and served eighteen
months, being discharged in August, 1919.
Mr. Hatch belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is a member
of the Stake High Council and filled a mission to the southern states from 1886 to
1889. His political endorsement is given to the republican party. He was the first
elected mayor of Panguitch, and later served several terms as a member of the city
council. He was a trustee of the Panguitch district school for a number of terms.
His interest in community affairs is deep and sincere, and he gives active aid to all
plans and measures which he believes will prove of benefit to the district in which he
lives. In his business career he has been actuated by a progressive spirit that has
prompted him to wisely utilize every opportunity that has come to him.
Christian Otteson, actively identified with farming in Emery county, his place