being near Huntington, was born in Fountain Green, Utah, March 12, 1861, his parents
being Christian and Elsie Otteson, who were natives of Denmark and who came to
Utah in the '50s, settling in Sugar House ward, Salt Lake City. In October, 1859, they
removed to Fountain Green and Mrs. Otteson was the first woman of the settlement.
There they spent their remaining days, the father passing away in 1905, aged eighty-
four years, while the mother died in 1914, aged ninety-two years.
Christian Otteson acquired a common school education at Fountain Green and started
out in the business world on his own account when seventeen years of age. He de-
voted his attention to farming at Fountain Green for a time and in 1879 removed to
the Castle valley, now Emery county, securing a homestead. He has one of the most
desirable farms in the valley and he was the first man to get pine logs for building a
house from the Huntington canyon. These he used in the erection of his first dwelling.
He has modern equipments upon his place and everything about the farm is indicative
of his progressive spirit and practical methods. He is also a stockholder in the Gun-
nison Valley Sugar Company and in the Pan Motor Company.
At Fountain Green, on the 18th of December, 1878, Mr. Otteson was married to
Miss Sarah Crowther, who was born May 22, 1861, and is of Scotch descent. Her
parents were George and Jeanette (Wiley) Crowther, who came to Utah in 1855, cross-
ing the plains with handcarts. They settled in Salt Lake county and later removed
to Payson, where they lived for two years. They afterward became residents of
Fountain Green, Alma, Moroni, Mount Pleasant and Manti. In 1871 the father lost his
foot in a sawmill accident. Later they conducted a boarding house at Wales, Utah, for
four years and then returned to Fountain Green, where Mr. Crowther passed away in
1897. To Mr. and Mrs. Otteson have been born twelve children, eight of whom are living.
Sarah E., born February 5, 1884, is the wife of Lewis Marshall and has eight children.
Jeanette, born March 11, 1886, is the wife of Ira Marshall and has four children. Bar-
bara, born February 19, 1888, is the wife of Delbert Marshall and has five children.
Leo, born March 25, 1890, married Lizzie Guiman and has five children. Orin, born
500 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
March 8, 1893, married Ella Grange and they have two children. Wallace was born
April 8, 1896, Ari on the 12th of February, 1904, and Elma on the 12th of January, 1911.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints and Mr. Otteson has served as a home missionary. His political allegiance is
given to the democratic party but he never seeks nor desires office as a reward for party
fealty, his attention being concentrated upon his business affairs and other duties.
His activity in farm life and his wise investments have brought him to a desirable
place among the substantial citizens of Emery county.
L. LORAINE BAGLEY.
L. Loraine Bagley, a prominent attorney of Salt Lake, was born in Montpelier.
Idaho, May 7, 1884, and was the only child of John A. and Sarah E. (Lawson) Bagley.
He comes of pioneer ancestry, his grandmothers in both the paternal and maternal lines
having arrived in Utah in 1847. His grandfather Bagley was one of the seven brothers
that came to Utah in 1853 and were active in the upbuilding and development of this
state. Some of the number are mentioned in this work. John A. Bagley, the father,
is now a prominent attorney at Montpelier, Idaho, and from 1903 until 1905 served as
attorney general of that state. He is recognized as one of the republican leaders of
Idaho and has exerted a marked influence over public thought and opinion there.
L. Loraine Bagley pursued his education in the graded schools of Montpelier, in
the Brigham Young University of Provo, which he attended for three years, in th.e Uni-
versity of Utah, in which he was a student for a year, and in the Grant University at
Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he pursued his studies for three years. He was then
admitted to the bar and, returning to Salt Lake, entered the law office of Bartch &
Bagley, remaining with the firm for a time. During his father's term as attorney gen-
eral of Idaho he acted as chief clerk of the office. Returning to Utah, he entered upon a
law partnership with Jeremiah Stokes, Jr., and was thus associated until 1914, since
which time he has practiced independently. He has a mind naturally keen, logical,
analytical and inductive. The thoroughness with which he prepares his cases has been
one of the dominant elements in his continued success. He is now enjoying an extensive
practice, representing important interests in the court, and he is also interested in min-
ing as a corporation attorney.
In 1909 Mr. Bagley was married to Elaine Neff, a daughter of John Neff, deceased,
who was bishop of East Mill Creek for many years and is mentioned on another page of
this work. The four children of Mr. and Mrs. Bagley are Louis Neff, John Alan, Stewart
and Benedict Grant.
Mr. Bagley is an active church worker, belonging to the Seventies Quorum and
from 1905 until 1907 filled a mission to the southern states, being one of the office force
of the mission at Chattanooga, Tennessee. He is a republican in his political views but
has comparatively little time to devote to politics owing to the increasing demands made
upon him for professional service. He now resides in an attractive bungalow at Oak-
wood, which was erected in 1911. There he enjoys all of the comforts of life, and the
hospitality of many of the best homes of Salt Lake is cordially extended to both Mr.
and Mrs. Bagley.
JAMES M. WHITMORE.
James M. Whitmore, an active and influential factor in business circles and in
the public life of his community, is now the president of the First. National Bank
at Price and was the first president of the town board. A native son of Texas, he was
born in Waxahachie, June 5, 1855, his parents being J. M. and Elizabeth (Carter)
Whitmore, who in 1857 came to Salt Lake City, where they remained for six years.
They then removed to southern Utah, where the father entered the live stock
business. He was killed by the Indians in 1866, at Pipe Springs ranch, in Kane
county, Utah, where a fort was later built by the territory of Utah. Mrs. Whitmore
afterward returned to Salt Lake City.
In the common schools of St. George, James M. Whitmore pursued his education
JAMES M. WHITMORE
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 503
and when a young man turned his attention to farming and stock raising in the
Castle valley of eastern Utah, beginning business there in 1878. Through the inter-
vening years he has been an active factor in the business development and upbuilding
of his section of the state. His agricultural interests constituted a source of profit
and he remained an active and successful raiser and dealer in live stock until 1911,
when he sold his stock. However, he retains his farm lands and still personally
superintends their cultivation. In 1901 he incorporated the First National Bank at
Price, became its president and still remains its executive head. Honored and
respected by all, no man occupies a more enviable position in business and financial
circles in Carbon county and this section of the state than does James M. Whitmore,
not alone by reason of the success he has achieved but also owing to the straight-
forward business principles which he has ever followed.
At St. George, on the 25th of December, 1884, Mr. Whitmore was married to
Miss Anna M. Nixon, a daughter of J. W. and Hannah M. Nixon. Her father was
engaged in merchandising at St. George and passed away in 1880. Mrs. Whitmore
departed this life in 1899. The children of this marriage were six in number. Ida
M., who was born in 1885, is the wife of B. R. McDonald and has three children.
Junius, born in 1888, enlisted and entered upon military training at Camp Lewis in
May, 1918, being discharged in May, 1919. Arthur L., born in 1890, married Ada
Shiner and has two children. V. R., born in 1892, enlisted in the One Hundred and
Tenth Kansas Engineers in June, 1917, was trained at Camp Doniphan, Oklahoma,
and was sent overseas on the 1st of May, 1918. He was in the St. Mihiel and Argonne
Forest drives, thus seeing some of the most hotly contested battles of the war, and in
April, 1919, he returned to the United States, being honorably discharged at Camp
Funston in the following May. Lee, born in 1894, married Anna Sharp and has two
children. George L., born in 1897, enlisted in 1917 and by reason of physical
disability was discharged in September of that year. Following the recovery of his
health, however, he was unable to get back in the service. On the llth of June, 1913,
Mr. Whitmore married Alice McAdams, a native of Kansas and a daughter of George
B. Darlington, a farmer of that state.
Mr. Whitmore gives his political support to the republican party and keeps well
informed on the questions and issues of the day. He became the -first president of
the town board of Price and was continued in the office for several terms, for he was
found to be the right man in the right place and aided in shaping its formulative
policy and in promoting its welfare. When Price was under town organization he
was elected president of the Price Water Company, a position he still holds.
C. E. HUISH.
C. E. Huish is the owner and editor of the Eureka Reporter, the leading news-
paper of Juab county, which has a wide circulation from coast to coast on account of its
value as a mining sheet, covering closely the mining activities of the Tintic district, one
of the most important mining regions of the country. By reason of his work in this
and other connections the name of C. E. Huish is most widely and favorably known.
He was born in Payson, Utah, in 1881, a son of Orson P. Huish. His education was
acquired in the Methodist and Presbyterian mission schools at Payson and in early
life he began working in a printing office at that place. He was afterward employed
along the same line in Salt Lake City and in 1896 went to Eureka, where he followed
the printing business for some time. In 1900 he purchased the plant of the Eureka
Democrat and has since been the publisher and editor of a healthy weekly paper
which he calls the Eureka Reporter, having a circulation of about twenty-five hundred.
He has made this a journal of great value in mining circles on account of the accurate
reports which he makes concerning conditions in the Tintic district. Mr. Huish is
heavily interested in residence and business property in Eureka and likewise has
some investments in property in Salt Lake. He is also the secretary and manager of
the Western Amusement Company, which owns and operates the Star and Crescent
theatres, two moving picture houses of Eureka; and also operates the Tintic Hotel; is
interested in theatres and has property in other parts of the state. His activities
have been of an extensive and important character and have indeed covered a wide
scope. He is financially Interested in several Tintic properties; is the president of the
504 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
Mutual Realty Company of Salt Lake, which controls the Woodruff apartments of that
city, and his home is one of the fine residences of Eureka, erected in 1908. Whatever
he has undertaken he has carried forward to successful completion, manifesting the
keenest discrimination in all business affairs.
Mr. Huish has attained high rank in Masonic circles, having taken the degree in all
the branches as well as the shrine. He likewise belongs to the Benevolent Protective
Order of Elks, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and other fraternal and insurance
orders. In politics he is an active republican but not an office seeker, giving earnest
support, however, to all those legitimate forces which promote the success of the party
and secure the adoption of its principles.
In 1901 Mr. Huish was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Sullivan, a daughter
of the late Dennis Sullivan, who was a pioneer mining man of Eureka and for many
years was a business associate of John Beck at the time the Bullion-Beck mine was
proving a most valuable property. Mr. and Mrs. Huish have become the parents ot
one child, Frances, who is a student in the Tintic high school. Mr. Huish is a rep-
resentative of our best type of American manhood and chivalry. He stands four
square to every wind that blows and is ready to meet any condition or any emergency
with the consciousness of strength that comes from a right conception of things and an
habitual regard for what is best in the exercise of human activity.
MAJOR BENJAMIN W. BLACK, M. D.
Major Benjamin W. Black, a practicing physician and surgeon of Magna and surgeon
for the Utah Copper Company, was born in Fillmore, Utah, May 21, 1887, and is a son
of George W. and Birdie S. (Robison) Black. His grandfather, Joseph S. Black, was
born at Lisburn, Ireland, July 14, 1836, six months prior to the time when his parents,
William and Jane (Johnson) Black, emigrated to America. They became pioneer set-
lers of Utah. In 1851 they established their home in southern Utah and became a prom-
inent family in the upbuilding of that section of the state. All were active in the work
of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and they took a leading and influential
part in public affairs of the community. The great-grandfather of Dr. Black returned to
the British isles, where he filled a mission for two years. Before coming to America he
had been for twenty years a member of the British army, but his conversion to the faith
of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints led him to cross the Atlantic and
cast in his lot with the people of his faith. He was one of the founders of Spring
City, Utah, and contributed in marked measure to the development of his section of the
state. He remained ever an active worker in the church and became a high priest.
His son, Joseph S. Black, was the first bishop of Deseret. He built the first dam across
the Sevier river and became a railroad contractor on the Union Pacific and the Denver
& Rio Grande Railroads. He likewise served as a major in the Sanpete militia and was
very prominent in the public life of his community, filling the position of city council-
man of Spring City and otherwise taking active part in shaping the policy and directing
the upbuilding and development of his section of the state. He was the father of
George W. Black, who became a prominent, influential and successful farmer and stock-
man of Millard county. He, too, has been called upon for public service, filling the posi-
tion of deputy sheriff and also serving as a member of the city council of Fillmore, and
like othefs of the family, he has been an active worker in the church. To George W.
and Birdie S. Black were born twelve children, of whom ten are yet living: Benjamin
W., of this review; Chloe, the wife of Hugh Hilton, residing at Hinckley; Loa, the
wife of Henry Hanson, of Fillmore; Ora, the wife of Lorenzo Hanson, also living at
Fillmore; Wells, county probation officer in Millard county; Willis, of Fillmore; Joel,
who was a member of the Sixth Regiment of Marines, which did such splendid service
at Chateau-Thierry and in the Argonne forest during the great World war and is now
at Fillmore; Fern, the wife of Orval Starley, of Fillmore; and Joy and Vernon, who
are at home with their parents.
Dr. Black whose name introduces this record pursued a high school course at
Fillmore and afterward attended the Brigham Young University at Provo and the Uni-
versity of Utah, while subsequently he entered the University of Chicago. He thus
acquired broad literary learning, which became the foundation of his professional
course. In 1916 he was graduated from the Medico-Surgical College of Philadelphia,
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 505
Pennsylvania. While a student in the Brigham Young University and but seventeen
years of age, he was requested by President Brimhall to teach in the branch of that
University at Beaver. He afterward taught for one year at the Hinckley Academy of
Fillmore and for two years was a teacher in the high school at American Fork, while
later he became a principal at Grantsville, where he established a high school, remain-
ing in charge for two years.
Shortly after America declared a state of war with Germany Dr. Black entered the
service and on the 18th of July, 1917, was made a first lieutenant and was ordered to
Fort Logan. He was with the First Colorado Infantry at Camp Kearney and afterward
with the One Hundred and Fifty-seventh Infantry of the Fortieth Division. He was made
a captain in March, 1918, and went overseas with the same contingent, of which he was
also regimental surgeon. On the 14th of February, 1919, he was commissioned major,
still retaining the position of regimental surgeon. Upon his return to the United States,
Major Black was stationed at Fort Russell, Wyoming, where he was the head of the
demobilization service until July 2, 1919, when he was discharged as major of the
Medical Corps, which title he still holds in the Reserve Corps. He continued with the
same organization all through the war, entering as a junior lieutenant and being mus-
tered out with the rank of major.
On the 9th of September, 1909, Dr. Black was married to Miss Jean Blackburn, a
graduate of the Utah Agricultural College and a successful school teacher prior to her
marriage. She is a representative of the large Blackburn family of Wayne county, Utah,
while the Black family is one of the large families of this state. At a reunion held in
1911 there were present five hundred and eleven descendants of the founders of the
family in this state. Dr. and Mrs. Black have become the parents of two children,
Marden and Margaret
During his absence in the war the family resided in Salt Lake City, but he has
since purchased an attractive home in Magna, where they now reside. Dr. Black is a
charter member and post commander of William B. Fowles Post, No. 59, of the American
Legion, at Magna. In politics he is a republican but has never sought nor desired ofBce.
He takes an active part in the work of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,
in which he is an elder. While in Tooele county he was stake superintendent of Sunday
schools, also a member of the stake board of Sunday schools at American Fork and was
president of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association. His wife is active in
the Sunday school and in the Relief Society. Dr. Black has membership connection
with the Association of Military Surgeons of America and he is a member of the Salt
Lake County and Utah State Medical Societies and the American Medical Association,
thus keeping in close touch with the advanced thought and purpose of the profession
and its scientific research and investigation. He is now successfully practicing at
Magna and is accounted one of the able physicians and surgeons of that place.
GEORGE A. BURR.
George A. Burr is now living retired in Emery, where he has made his home since
1918. Salt Lake City numbers him among her native sons, his birth having there oc-
curred December 23, 1849. He is a son of Charles C. and Sarah (Sloat) Burr. The
father made the trip around Cape Horn to California in the ship Brooklyn, landing
at San Francisco in 1848. There he joined a company en route for Salt Lake City but
made a stop at Sutters Mill because of the excitement attending the discovery of gold.
He mined sufficient gold there with which to obtain supplies and arrived in Utah in the
same year. He made the journey in company with his parents, but the grandfather of
George A. Burr afterward returned to California in order to again engage in gold
mining and was never heard from afterward. While they were on the ocean his wife
gave birth to a son to whom was given the name of John Atlantic. Another little
son of the family died on shipboard. The family remained in Salt Lake until 1857 on
account of the invasion of Johnston's army. They then took up their residence in Payson
and in 1873 removed to Grass valley, settling in what later became the town of Burrville
Charles G. Burr there followed farming and stock raising and was also postmaster of
the town for a number of years. He died in March, 1902, while the mother of George
A. Burr passed away in 1910.
George A. Burr acquired a common school education in Payson and when his text-
506 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
books were put aside took up the occupation of farming and stock raising, which he
followed during the greater part of his life. As a boy he was employed in various ways,
however, at Payson and after his removal with his father to Grass valley had a mail
contract, carrying the mail for eight years from Glenwood, Sevier county, to Orderville,
Piute county. In 1868 he made a trip to the North Platte with cattle after emigrants,
under Daniel McArthur. After leaving Payson he lived for a time at Glenwood and
then removed to Grass valley, now Burrville. Later he resided in Wayne county, where
he took up his abode in 1910, and in 1918 he became a resident of Emery, where he
owns a comfortable home and is now living retired.
Mr. Burr was married in Salt Lake City on the 3d of June, 1871, To Miss Eliza
Amelia Beal, who was born March 5, 1856, a daughter of William and Eliza (Tweedy)
Beal, who became pioneer settlers of Utah, making the trip from Nauvoo, Illinois. After
living for a time in Salt Lake they removed to Manti, and the father participated in the
Black Hawk war. He went to Glenwood prior to the war and was there driven out by
the Indians, returning to Manti. When the Indian trouble subsided, however, he again
went to Glenwood, where he followed agricultural pursuits, there passing away in Feb-
ruary, 1871. The mother of Mrs. Burr survived for a number of years, her death oc-
curring in 1889.
Mr. and Mrs. Burr have reared a large family. Sarah E., born in Payson, November
4, 1873, is the wife of Samuel Coleman and has sixteen children. George M., born in
Payson, April 17, 1876, married Minerva Lewis and has nine children. Tora A., born in
Burrville in December, 1877, is the wife of M. F. Case and has nine children. Harriet
E., born in Burrville, January 8, 1879, is the wife of Andrew P. Adams and has ten
children. David, born in Glenwood, August 16, 1881, married Etta M. Cazier, now de-
ceased, and they had three children, after which he married Anna Howes and they had
three children. Kate, born in Burrville, November 24, 1882, is the wife of David' T.
Adams and has seven children. Ella May, born in Burrville, January 12, 1885, is the
wife of N. Nielson and has six children. Elias, born in Burrville, April 5, 1888, married
Hazel Johnson, by whom he has one child. Laura, born in Teasdale, May 23, 1890,
is the wife of Benjamin Larson and they have four children. Mary A., born in Burr-
ville, April 8, 1894, is the wife of Archie Mortenson and has five children Myrtle I.,
born in Burrville, November 18, 1896, is the wife of Willard Brinkerhoff and has two
children. Zola P., born in Burrville, March 8, 1900, completes the family. Mr. and Mrs.
Burr reared a family of twelve children and there are now seventy-four grandchildren.
ETHELBERG B. FAIRBANKS, M. D.
Dr. Ethelberg B. Fairbanks, a physician and surgeon of Beaver, was born in Payson.
Utah, May 18, '1892, his parents being Franklin and Minnie (Tanner) Fairbanks, who
were also natives of Payson. The father followed the occupation of farming and the
profession of teaching and for two years, beginning with 1898, filled a mission to the
southern states. He now has a home in Salt Lake City and also holds property in Idaho,
dividing his time between the two places. He had previously spent ten years in Canada
before removing to Salt Lake and was there engaged in the hotel business and in mer-
chandising. The mother was a daughter of Joseph S. Tanner, who for more than twenty
years was bishop of Payson, and both Mr. and Mrs. Fairbanks belonged to old pioneer
families of the state.
Dr. Fairbanks of this review acquired a common school education in Payson, in
Raymond, Alberta, Canada, and in Salt Lake as he accompanied his parents on their re-
moval to these different localities. He also pursued a course in the Latter-day Saints
College at Salt Lake, from which he was graduated in 1910, and he secured his degree of
Bachelor of Science from the University of Utah as one of its alumni of 1916. In
preparation for a professional career he attended the Jefferson Medical College of Phila-
delphia, Pennsylvania, and was there graduated in May, 1918. He spent a year as interne