in the Philadelphia General Hospital, the largest hospital in the United States, having
seven thousand and eighty beds. He thus gained valuable experience and through his
comprehensive college training and his hospital work came to Utah well qualified for the
onerous and responsible duties of the profession. On the 1st of June, 1919, he opened
an office in Beaver, where he has since engaged in general practice with good success.
On the 4th of September, 1919, Dr. Fairbanks was married to Miss Vera Anna
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 507
Larson. Her father is now deceased, while her mother lives in Salt Lake City. They
were natives of Sanpete county, their respective parents having located in Utah in
pioneer times. Dr. Fairbanks belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints. During the period of the World war he joined the Medical Reserve Corps,
with which he was connected for eighteen months or until honorably discharged after
the signing of the armistice. He is a young man possessed of laudable ambition and
has thoroughly qualified for his profession, in which he is now doing excellent work.
JOHN W. WHITMORE.
John W. Whitmore is a progressive business man of Nephi, where he is conducting
mercantile interests under the name of the Toggery Clothing Store. He has also
figured actively in public affairs as county commissioner of Juab county. He was born
at Nephi in 1879, a son of George Carter and Mary Elizabeth (Hague) Whitmore, the
father being prominently mentioned in the sketch of George C. Whitmore on another
page of this work.
John W. Whitmore supplemented his public school education by study in the Utah
Agricultural College at Logan, from which in due course of time he was graduated.
When his textbooks were put aside he became extensively engaged in farming in Carbon
county, where he still has large land holdings and agricultural interests. In 1908, how-
ever, he removed to Nephi to become a factor in its commercial circles. Here he es-
tablished the Toggery Clothing Store and for twelve years has now successfully con-
ducted the business, which has grown to one of large proportions, his establishment
being one of the leading stores of the kind in this part of the State. Mr. Whitmore is
also a director in the First National Bank of Nephi.
In 1904 Mr. Whitmore was married to Matilda Barton, of Salt Lake City, a daugh-
ter of W. B. and Ellen Barton, of Salt Lake, where her father was for years engaged in
merchandising. Mr. and Mrs. Whitmore have three children, Katharine, Alice and
Mr. Whitmore is a member of the Commercial Club of Nephi and in 1900 was elected
county commissioner of Juab county on the democratic ticket for a four years' term.
J. P. JENSEN.
J. P. Jensen is a leading merchant of Sandy, conducting a general store under the
firm style of J. P. Jensen & Sons. Tfiey handle groceries, fresh and cured meats, dry
goods, men's furnishings, hats and shoes. This business was established thirty years
ago by C. C. Crapo & Sons and later was purchased by Jensen & Christensen, who
became proprietors in 1916. In the following year Mr. Christensen died and Mr. Jensen
purchased the interest of his partner and is now at the head of the firm of J. P. Jensen
& Sons. The firm carries a stock valued at ten thousand dollars and its annual sales
amount to more than fifty thousand dollars.
Mr. Jensen in an enterprising and progressive young business man who was born at
Draper, Utah, December 9, 1881, and is a son of J. P. and Ann (Peterson) Jensen, both
emigrating in their teens from Denmark. The father engaged in the manufacture of
brick at Draper, and there he reared his family of thirteen children, of whom J. P.
Jensen is the eldest.
In the attainment of his education J. P. Jensen supplemented his early training by
attendance at the Latter-day Saints Business College, from which he was graduated, and
also by a normal course in the University of Utah. He was then sent on a mission to the
southern states, where he labored during the years 1902 and 1903, having charge of the
Florida conference for nineteen months and also laboring as bookkeeper of the Southern
States Mission under President Ben E. Rich. After being released from the mission he
was with the International Harvester Company at Atlanta, Georgia, in the capacity
of office manager and correspondent. Later he returned to Utah and spent one year as
auditor with the Studebaker corporation at Salt Lake City. He purchased the Crapo &
Sons mercantile business in connection with Mr. Christensen, as previously stated, and
has since been active in the management and control of the trade, which has steadily
508 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
grown. He employs three clerks and his sons also assist in the conduct of the store when
not in school.
In 1904 Mr. Jensen was married to Miss Belle Christian, a native of Atlanta,
Georgia, and of French descent. The six children of this marriage are Alice, James,
Hazel, Sterling, and Don and Donna, twins, who are four years old.
Mr. Jensen is an active church worker, belongs to the Seventy, is stake superintend-
ent of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association, is one of the presidents of the
Quorum of Seventy and has been home missionary and ward teacher. He occupies an
attractive modern residence on Pioneer street in Sandy, which he erected. He is a
progressive merchant and business man whose success is the direct outcome of his in-
defatigable efforts and close application and his ability to readily discriminate between
the essential and the non-essential in commercial affairs.
C. E. LARSEN.
C. E. Larsen, manager at Castle Dale for the Consolidated Wagon & Machine
Company, was born in Denmark, September 16, 1859, a son of Hans F. and Julia
(Christiansen) Larsen, who came to Utah during the '70s and settled at Manti. The
father was a gardener and farmer who in 1882 removed to Castle Dale, where he resided
until his death in 1903.
When sixteen years of age C. E. Larsen, who up to this time had been a pupil in
the common schools of Manti, took up the business of freighting, in which he con-
tinued for five years. He then removed to the Castle valley, where he secured a
homestead and began the arduous task of developing new land, turning the first fur-
rows and planting the first crops upon the place. He continued active in farm work
until 1907, when he became the representative of the Consolidated Wagon & Machine
Company and is still manager for that corporation at Castle Dale, handling their
goods for a large number of patrons.
At Castle Dale, in 1882, Mr. Larsen was married to Miss Marie M. Peterson, of
Mount Pleasant, and they have become parents of two children. Fred E., who was
born at Castle Dale on the 5th of October, 1883, married Miss Bell May Snow, by
whom he has three children. Maggie N., whose birth occurred at Castle Dale on the
17th of May, 1886, is the wife of Hyrum Seeley and the mother of three children.
Politically Mr. Larsen is a democrat and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his
worth and ability, have called him to several public offices. He has served for three
terms as president of the town board and has done everything in his power to pro-
mote the upbuilding of Castle Dale and advance its welfare. He has served as county
commissioner, filling the office at the time of the building of the courthouse at Castle
Dale in 1891 and 1892, and still higher honors were accorded him in his election to
the state legislature. His worth as a man and citizen is widely acknowledged and
he is a progressive business man, alert and energetic, ready to meet any emergency.
What he plans he executes and his sound judgment and determined effort have
placed him in a creditable position, among the representatives of commercial activity
in his part of the state.
H. B. SPANGLER, M. D.
Dr. H. B. Spangler is numbered among the physicians and surgeons who sacri-
ficed professional interests to aid in the great World war and has recently returned
from overseas service in France to resume the private practice of medicine at Mur-
ray, Utah. He was born at Clinton, Henry county, Missouri, October 18, 1886, a son
of L. A. and Frances (Houston) Spangler, both of whom are natives of Missouri.
The Houston family has been represented in America since the opening years of the
nineteenth century. A brother of L. A. Spangler was an aide-de-camp to General
Stonewall Jackson in the Civil war and was with him at the time he was shot by a
mistaken volley from his own troops. L. A. Spangler is a prominent and influential
resident of Clinton, Missouri, being now president of the Clinton National Bank and
equally well known as a farmer and cattle raiser. His family numbers three sons
DR. H. B. SPANGLER
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 511
and a daughter: Mabel, who is the wife of Fred Olson, cashier of the First National
Bank of Windsor, Missouri; H. B., of this review; James, a stockman and farmer of
Clinton, Missouri; and Frank, who was a member of the United States navy on the
battleship Minneapolis during the World war and is now at home.
Reared under the parental roof, H. B. Spangler of this review at length deter-
mined upon the practice of medicine as a life work and to that end matriculated in
the St. Louis University, in which he pursued the regular medical course. He took
up surgical work with Dr. Coughlin of St. Louis, with whom he was associated for a
year, and then removed to Salt Lake City, becoming interne in the Judge Mercy
Hospital of Salt Lake City, with which he was connected for six months. He after-
ward became a .resident of Murray, where he opened an office and soon developed a
large practice, to which he gave his undivided attention until the 20th of August.
1917, when he closed his office and enlisted in the Medical Corps, being commissioned
a first lieutenant. He went to Fort Riley, where he remained for eight months and
then went to Camp Wadsworth, where he continued for three months. On the ex-
piration of that period he was sent to France in July, 1918, with the Sixth Sanitary
Train, Sixth Division, and had charge of a first-aid hospital close to the first line
trenches at the time of the drive in the Argonne Forest and when the troops were
before Metz. After the armistice was signed he was with the army of occupation ID
Germany, until he returned to the United States, being discharged in September, 1919.
Dr. Spangler immediately returned to Murray, where he reopened his office and
is now enjoying an extensive practice. His political allegiance is given to the demo-
cratic party. Fraternally he is a thirty-second degree Mason, Army Lodge, No. 1, at
Fort Leavenworth, and the Shrine. He belongs also to the Elks, the Odd Fellows and
the Eagles and is likewise a member of the American Legion, an organization to
which the country is looking with great hope for future work in behalf of true
Americanization. Professionally Dr. Spangler is connected -with the Association of
Medical Surgeons of the United States. He keeps in close touch with the trend of
modern professional thought and progress and follows closely all scientific researches
and investigations that he may promote his efficiency and advance his skill in re-
lieving pain and checking the ravages of disease.
J. B. SHOW ALTER.
Among Garfield county's representatives who are identified with the sheep raising
industry in Utah is numbered J. B. Showalter, whose progressiveness in the conduct
of his business interests has gained for him substantial success. He is today owner
of one of the excellent stock ranches of his part of the state and raises very high grade
sheep. He started upon the journey of life in Indiana, July 21, 1867. His parents.
Cornelius and Elizabeth (Huddleson) Showalter, were natives of Virginia, where
they were reared. The father was a veteran of the Civil war and died in Missouri
in 1913 at the venerable age of eighty-eight years.
After acquiring a public school education J. B. Showalter settled in Panguitch in
1887 and has since devoted his attention to the raising of cattle and sheep. He is
today the owner of splendid stock ranches in both Garfield and Millard counties and
specializes in the handling of Rambouillet sheep. He has been very successful and
is today accounted one of Garfield county's most prominent and prosperous men. He
has readily recognized and utilized opportunities that others have passed heedlessly
by and in the conduct of his business affairs has displayed that keen discrimination,
that enables him to use every opportunity to the best advantage. He has become a
stockholder in the South Utah Equitable Company, in the Panguitch Cooperative
Company, in the State Bank of Garfield and in the Panguitch Telephone & Telegraph
It was at Panguitch in 1887 that Mr. Showalter was married to Miss Blanch
Clark, a daughter of Riley and Amanda Clark, who came as pioneers to Utah. They
were married at Provo in 1850 and after two years removed to Manti. Seven years
later, however, the Indian troubles in that section of the state caused them to return
to Provo. Two years later they again went to Manti and three years afterward re-
moved to Dixie, Utah. There they remained for two years ami then returned north,
settling at -Panguitch. where Mr. Clark passed away in 1876. The mother is still liv-
512 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
ing and has now reached the advanced age of eighty-three years. Mr. and Mrs.
Showalter have become parents of eight children: James C., who was born August 9,
1890, and married Marie Knowles, .by whom he has one child; Victor, born in May,
1895, who married Bertha Sandles; Gay, who was born in July, 1896, and married
Thomas Clitheroe; Leah, who was born in July, 1898, and is now the wife of James
M. Sargent; Clark, born in July, 1900; Nellie, in May, 1903; Ada, in April, 1909; and
Blanch, in December, 1912.
Mr. Showalter's political opinions connect him with the democratic party and
he has filled several offices, serving as a member of the county school board, as a
member of the city council and for four years as a member of the state live stock
board. He is one of the progressive live stock raisers of Utah who has studied closely
the conditions here and has shown marked adaptability in selecting his cattle and
sheep, while in their care he has utilized the most progressive and scientific methods.
His labors have therefore brought splendid results and his opinions are frequently
sought by those who wish valuable advice concerning the raising of stock in Utah.
WILLIAM A. STARR.
Ever recognizing the fact that when one avenue of opportunity seems closed an
individual may carve out other paths whereby to reach the desired goal, William A.
Starr has steadily advanced throughout his business career and is now numbered
among the capitalists of Nephi, where he makes his home. He was born in Spring-
ville, Utah, April 8, 1856, and is a son of Albert and Permelia Jane (Stewart) Starr,
the latter a native of Madison county, Illinois. The father was born in Ohio and in
1852 came to Utah, while the mother arrived in this state about the same time. Albert
Starr settled at Springville, where he lived for a time, and then removed to Goshen
valley and later to Steamboat, Nevada, where he resided for ten years. On the ex-
piration of that period he returned to Utah, settling near Nephi in 1871, there locating
the Starr ranch. In 1895 he again became a resident of Springville, where he passed
away in 1902. While residing in Nevada he served on the school board and he was
always keenly interested in the welfare and upbuilding of the district in which he
made his home. To Albert and Permelia Starr were born four sons and two daughters:
Sarah D., the wife of W. E. Mendenhall, of Springville; William A.; Alfred L., who
was married and reared a family and passed away in 1918; John Ambrose, who died
in 1898; Courtland A., living at Springville; and Mary N., also of Springville.
William A. Starr acquired his education in the public schools of Nevada and Utah,
spending his youthful days upon his father's farm, well known as the Starr ranch.
For four years he was engaged in the raising of sheep and cattle, there being sixteen
hundred acres in the Starr ranch, which was operated by the father and sons, all
working together until William A. Starr was forty-two years of age. Their interests
were thoroughly united, one purse being used for all and each sharing alike. At the
age of forty-two, however, William A. Starr purchased the sixteen hundred acre ranch
and continued its further development and operation until he sold the place in 1910.
He then purchased the old Goldsbrough property in Nephi, which had been conducted
as a tavern for many years, the building having been erected about 1860. Mr. Starr
began the active work of cultivating and improving the ranch and following his pur-
chase erected thereon a fine brick residence containing twelve rooms and also two
good barns. In fact he added to the place every modern facility for the operation of
the ranch and conducted his interests along most progressive lines. He is a man of
marked enterprise and has extended his efforts into still other fields, for he is now
the vice president of the Juab County Mill & Elevator Company and is the vice presi-
dent of the Nephi Mercantile Company. By reason of the success which he has achieved
he is now living practically retired, his former prosperity supplying him with all of
the comforts and "inany of the luxuries of life.
On the 10th of February, 1890, Mr. Starr was married to Miss Sarah A. Cooper,
who was born and reared in Nephi, a daughter of John S. Cooper, who was a brick-
layer and plasterer by trade. Mr. and Mrs. Starr have an interesting family: Mable,
the wife of Melvin Ballard, a farmer of Payson; Reed S., whose wife is now deceased
and who is a railroad man living at Lynn and employed on the San 'Pedro road; Naomi,
the wife of Halbert M. McCune, of Nephi; Marcia, Albert, William, Kathrjn, Maurice
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 513
and Maida, all at home; Doris, who died at the age of eight years; and one who died
Mr. Starr has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows since the
lodge was instituted at Nephi, December 20, 1890, and is a past grand. In politics he
is a republican but has never been an office seeker, preferring to do his public duties
as a private citizen. He is keenly interested in everything that pertains to the wel-
fare and progress of the community in which he lives, and his cooperation at all times
can be counted upon to further interests for the general good.
ALBERT G. OLOFSON.
Albert G. Olofson, assistant manager of the Logan Garage & Supply Company and
a well known business man of Logan, in which city he was born March 30, 1889, is a
son of Andrew Olofson, a native of Sweden, who come to America in 1884, first set-
tling at Springfield, Illinois, where he remained for about four years. In the latter
'80s he migrated to Utah, settling at Logan, where he has since made his home, devot-
ing his time to farming and stock raising, in which he has been very successful. He
is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the third ward.
The mother, who bore the maiden name of Hilda Munson, was a native of Sweden
and came to America on the same vessel as her husband. They had been sweethearts
in Sweden and were married in Springfield, Illinois. She died in Logan in 1914, at
the age of fifty-three years, leaving four children: Oscar, Leonard, Hulda and Albert G.
The last named was educated in the schools of Logan, passing through consecutive
grades to the high school, and after his textbooks were put aside was first employed
by the American Steam Laundry as a driver. He was advanced, however, and during
the last two years of his connection with the laundry company was assistant manager.
Since February 21, 1916, he has been connected with the Logan Garage & Supply Com-
pany, becoming connected therewith as salesman, while since September, 1917, he has
On the 24th of June, 1908, Mr. Olofson was united in marriage in Logan to Miss
Amanda Johnson, a native of that city and a daughter of Martin and Augusta (Erick-
son) Johnson. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Olofson, but four of the
number have passed away, leaving Doyle as the only survivor. The others were Leona,
Phyllis, Lucille and an infant son.
In politics Mr. Olofson is a republican. He, too, belongs to the Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-day Saints of the third ward of Logan and has been a member of the
Young Men's Improvement Association, in which he has held office. He started out
in life a poor boy and whatever success he has achieved is attributable entirely to his
own labors. Though he has met with misfortunes his religious faith has been un-
JESSE N. ELLERTSON.
Jesse N. Ellertson, clerk of the Carbon county school board and a resident of
Price, was born at Mona, Juab county, Utah, September 18, 1889, his parents being
Norman W. and Malissa (Green) Ellertson. The father was born while his parents
were crossing the plains en route to Utah in 1856. The Ellertson family home was estab-
lished at Ephraim and during his boyhood Norman W. Ellertson participated in the In-
dian war troubles of 1865 to 1867. When peace was declared he removed to Mona,
where he married and established his home. He still owns a good farm at that place
but has retired from active business and now makes his home in Provo. Norman W.
and Malissa Ellertson became the parents of six children: Jesse N., Leo, Roy, Clarence,
Eva and Lyle. The son Leo joined the army on the 19th of October, 1918, and for a
time was stationed at Camp Lewis, while later he was transferred to Vancouver, Wash-
ington, being connected with the Spruce Division. He served until August, 1919.
Jesse N. Ellertson obtained a common school education at Mona and pursued a
four years' normal course at the Bripham Young University, from which he was grad-
uated with the class of 1909. He afterward taught school for two years at Tremonton,
514 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
Boxelder county, and in 1912 entered upon a three years' commercial course at the
Utah Agriculutral College of Logan. Following his graduation he removed to Price,
where for four years he taught in the high school, having charge of the commercial
department, which he made a most creditable one, giving thorough instruction along
business lines and thus materially assisting in qualifying young men and women for
responsibilities of business life. In September, 1919, he was appointed clerk of the
Carbon county school board and is now filling that position. He had previously served
as chief clerk of the local draft board during 1918 and 1919, being released from duty
in March of the latter year.
At Salt Lake City, on the 18th of August, 1915, Mr. Ellertson was married to Miss
Mamie Munro, a daughter of R. H. and Mary Ann (Long) Munro. Mrs. Ellertscc was
secretary in the office of the Utah Agricultural College under President Widtsoe, who
is now president of the University of Utah. Her parents are residents of Logan, where
they located in 1903 on removing from Manitoba, Canada. The father won a sub-
stantial measure of success in Canada and is now living practically retired, although
he manages a small orchard. In this he finds great delight and is regarded as an expert
orchardist. To Mr. and Mrs. Munro were born three daughters: Mamie, Florence and
Ethel. Mr. and Mrs. Ellertson have become the parents of a daughter, Flo, who was
born in Price, August 18, 1918.
Mr. Ellertson is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He
belongs to the Price Commercial Club and his political support is given to the republican
party, for he is a firm believer in its principles and does everything in his power to
secure their adoption. He has made for himself a creditable name and place in educa-
tional circles and is a most earnest supporter of the public school system, putting forth
effective effort in maintaining the highest standards of public instruction.
PETER CHRISTIAN SCORUP.
No man has contributed more to the progress of Salina than Peter Christian
Scorup and no public enterprise of merit has ever been instituted in the district
that could not count upon his financial and moral support. He was born in Ephraim,
Sanpete county, in 1877, a son of Christian and Caroline (Christensen) Scorup.
His education was largely obtained in the schools of Salina, to which city his
parents had in the meantime removed, and in the Sevier Stake Academy. He