in Logan. For about eight years he was the junior member of the firm of Monson
& Schaub, architects, and during that period they designed and constructed many
splendid buildings. They did joint work on the Agricultural College of Utah, have
been the architects of most of the schools of Cache county and of Logan and in
addition Mr. Schaub was one of the architects of the Eccles Hotel, also of three
churches in Logan and twelve in Cache county, likewise was the architect of the
Logan high school, the Budge Hospital, the Eccles residences and a large number
of the finest homes of Logan and Cache county. His thorough college training
and his practical experience have qualified him for work of the highest order in
connection with his chosen profession. He is familiar with all the basic principles
and rules that govern architecture and his ready adaptability enables him to com-
bine utility, convenience and beauty in most attractive form. Moreover, the sub-
stantial character of his work is evident to all who see it and his labors have been
an important element in the improvement of his section of the state.
On the 29th of March, 1893, Mr. Schaub was married in Logan Temple to
Miss Jessie Ann Adams, a daughter of James and Margaret (Moffat) Adams, both
representatives of prominent pioneer families of the state who crossed the plains
with handcarts in 1853. Both the father and mother are now deceased. Mr. and
Mrs. Schaub have become parents of ten children, of whom two sons have passed
away. Margaret Ann is the wife of Fred Kloepfer. The others in order of birth
are Karl C., Jr.; James Milton, deceased; George Wesley; Joseph M., who has
passed away; Leah Isabelle; Geneva Eliza; Jessie Marie; Howard Adams; and
The religious faith of the family is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints, in which Mr. Schaub is serving as bishop of the tenth ward,
having been ordained in 1917. He was counselor for ten years in the fifth ward
to Bishop John Q. Adams. In politics Mr. Schaub is a republican where national
questions and issues are involved but at local elections casts an independent ballot,
supporting the candidate whom he regards as best qualified for office without
considering party ties. For two terms he filled the office of city engineer and for
an equal period was county engineer. He has also been a member of the board
of education and served as its vice president for a period of two years. He is
interested in all that has to do with the material, intellectual, social, political and
moral progress of the community in which he makes his home and his cooperation
can at all times be counted upon to" further any movement or plan for the public
JAMES B. DECKER.
James B. Decker, cashier of the Monticello State Bank of Monticello, San Juan
county, was born at Bluff, Utah, March 19, 1883. His parents, James B. and Anna M.
(Mickelson) Decker, were representatives of early pioneer families of the state. Both
were born at Parowan, where their respective parents had located on coming to Utah.
In 1879 James B. Decker, Sr., assisted in building the road to Bluff, blasting the way
through a bluff now known as the Hole in the Rock. He afterward returned to Paro-
wan and in the following year, 1880, removed his family to Bluff. He was engaged
in sheep and cattle raising and continued to reside at Bluff to the time of his death.
He was the first stake Sunday school superintendent and the first Sunday school
superintendent of Bluff ward. He likewise filled the office of county commissioner
and was a member of the school board for a number of years. He took a most proml-'
nent and helpful interest in all school activities and church work and he gave to each
of his children good educational opportunities. He died at Bluff, a most highly
respected citizen, in 1900. His wife, Mrs. Anna M. Decker, was with her husband
through all the privations and hardships of pioneer life. One of her children, a daugh-
ter, was born in a covered wagon in what is known as the Hole in the Rock, above
referred to. In 1918 Mrs. Decker removed to Monticello, where she now makes her
home. One of her sons, Claude Decker, volunteered when war was declared against
Germany in 1917. He joined the Marines and went to France in February, 1918. He
was one of the earliest of the Americans to engage in active service and was wounded in
the shoulder by a machine gun but returned to the front before the close of hostilities.
540 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
He received an honorable discharge September 11, 1919, and returned to his home in
James B. Decker acquired his early education in the common schools of Bluff and
afterward spent two years as a pupil in the Brigham Young University at Provo,
pursuing a commercial course. He devoted three years to an agricultural course in
the Utah Agricultural College at Logan and he also pursued two summer courses in
science at the University of Utah. Thus liberal educational training well qualified
him for responsible duties and he is regarded as one of the most intelligent and enter-
prising young men of Monticello. His earlier life work was with his father in stock
raising and in 1910 he became an active factor in educational circles. For two years
he was principal of the schools at Milford, Utah, and in 1912 was principal of the Mon-
ticello schools, while in 1913 he accepted the principalship of the schools at Bluff and
filled the office for two years. In 1915 he became associated with the Verdure Live
Stock Company, operating from Monticello, and for three years was range foreman.
In 1918 he became one of the incorporators of the Monticello State Bank, was chosen
its cashier and has since remained one of the popular officials of the institution.
He is also a stockholder in the Verdure Live Stock Company, is the owner of some
splendid farm land and likewise owns a good home at Monticello.
In Salt Lake City, in September, 1909, Mr. Decker was married to Miss Laura
Pearl Adams, a daughter of Charles and Sarah Ann (Davenport) Adams, who crossed
the plains at an early day and were afterward called to settle Parowan, Utah. Her
father was bishop for twenty-five years and both he and his wife are still living at
Parowan. To Mr. and Mrs. Decker have been born five children: James, whose birth
occurred at Milford, November 29, 1910; Helen, who was born at Parowan in April,
1912; Webster, born at Bluff in October, 1914; Maud May, whose birth occurred at
Monticello in March, 1917; and Craig, who was born at Monticello in April, 1919.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Mormon church and Mr. Decker
filled a mission to the northern states from 1906 until 1908, acting as traveling elder.
He has been superintendent of the Sunday school of Monticello and has filled other
positions in the church with honor and ability. His political allegiance is given
to the republican party and he is an active worker in its ranks, being now chairman
of the republican county central committee. He has filled the office of county treas-
urer and during the war he was on the building committee for the purpose of restrict-
ing excess in building. His influence has been a tangible asset in public progress and
improvement in San Juan county and thus the work which was instituted by his
pioneer ancestors and continued by his parents is being carried still further forward
by James B. Decker.
WILLIAM HASTIE RUSSELL.
William Hastie Russell, of Fillmore, who since 1919 has been the manager of
the East Millard Cooperative Company, was born in Scotland in 1885. He is a son
of John and Margaret (Hastie) Russell, also natives of Scotland, where the father
died. Being converted to the Mormon faith, the mother came to Utah in 1895, settling
at Salt Lake City. The son, William H., was educated in the graded schools and at
an early age started upon a mercantile career as a clerk in Zion's Cooperative Mer-
cantile Institution. For sixteen years he was associated with that company and his
training was of a most thorough character, fully equipping him for his later experi-
ence along mercantile lines. In 1917 he was tendered his present position as manager
of the East Millard Cooperative Company and has since made his home in Fillmore,
where he is contributing in marked measure to the commercial development of the
city. In the control of the cooperative store he has introduced the most modern
and progressive business methods, contributing in substantial measure to the success
of the business.
Mr. Russell has been regarded as an acquisition to Fillmore in both business and
social ways. His work in the church has been far-reaching and effective. He has
served as elder, ward chorister and stake superintendent of Sunday schools of the
Millard stake. In 1906 he was called to fill a mission to Scotland and served for two
years, most of his labors being in new fields, and his mission was most successful. He
has never essayed politics save as an interested citizen, supporting the men and meas-
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 541
ures in which he believes. He has ever sought to further the welfare and progress
of town and commonwealth, and his support can be counted upon in connection with
any project for the general good.
In 1909, in Salt Lake Temple, Mr. Russell was married to Miss Mignon Romney,
a daughter of Miles A. Romney, manager of the carpet department of Zion's Coopera-
tive Mercantile Institution at Salt Lake. They have an interesting family of four
children: Helen R., Margaret Elaine, Margery and Gordon. In the social circles of
the city Mr. and Mrs. Russell occupy an enviable position and no man stands in higher
regard among his fellow townsmen than does William Hastie Russell.
JAMES T. DALY, JB.
James T. Daly, Jr., a jeweler and optician of Panguitch, where he has established
a substantial business and has an attractive and well appointed store, was born at
St. George, Utah, January 4, 1880, a son of James T. and Ellen L. Hale (Riding)
Daly. The father was born in Boston, Massachusetts, August 2, 1858, and when a
young man came to Utah, settling at St. George, where he joined the Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1876, being baptized by M. M. Snow. He was a brick
maker by trade and later became associated with D. 0. Calder, of Salt Lake City, in
handling musical goods at Panguitch. At the present time he is engaged in the
painting and paper hanging business. He married Ellen L. Hale Riding, who was
born at Cedar City, Utah, May 26, 1862, and was baptized by M. J. Platt in 1871.
James T. Daly, Jr., acquired a common school education in Panguitch and in
1904 entered the Stone School of Watch Making at St. Paul, Minnesota, The following
year he pursued a special course in the Minneapolis School of Watch Making and
Optics, being there graduated the same year. Returning to Panguitch, he established
a jewelry and optical store in 1906 and as the years have passed he has prospered.
He today owns a splendid brick business block and has a good stock of jewelry, optical
goods, cut glassware and fancy goods. His sale's have reached a substantial figure
and his enterprise and close application are bringing to him very gratifying success.
He is also a stockholder in the Social Hall Corporation.
On the 24th of November, 1897, Mr. Daly was married to Miss Eliza Frances
Callaway, who was born at Panaca, Nevada, a daughter of Levi H. and Anna E. (Hall)
Callaway. The father came to Utah in the early days. The mother was the first white
child born in Paragonah. Mr. and Mrs. Callaway resided at Panaca, Nevada, and
afterward settled at Orangeville, Emery county, Utah, while subsequently they removed
to Manti, where the father passed away. The mother is still living in Panguitch.
Mr. and Mrs. Daly have become parents of one child, James LaVerne, born to them
in Panguitch, November 25, 1900. He is now a student of Hile's School of Watch
Making in San Francisco, California. Mr. and Mrs. Daly adopted Estella Hall, daugh-
ter of Charles and Sarah E. Babcock Hall, on the 23d of June, 1908. She was born
at Soldiers Canyon, Carbon county, Utah, July 23, 1902.
Mr. Daly holds membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
and is superintendent of the north ward Sunday school and member of the social
advisory committee and has served as .first vice president of the Utah Association of
Optometry. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he has filled
the office of town marshal, while at the present writing he is serving his fourth term
as a member of the city council and is chief probation officer of Garfield county. His
duties have ever been discharged with promptness and fidelity and his capability is
widely recognized. In business circles, too, he has made an enviable name and place
by reason of his progressiveness and thorough reliability.
JOHN M. BLACK, JB.
John M. Black, Jr., manager of a flour mill at Monticello, was born at Orderville.
Utah, April 23, 1880. When this state was first opened up to settlement his grand-
parents in both the paternal and maternal lines became residents of Utah. His
parents are John M. and Thressa (Cox) Black, who are natives of Utah, the father
542 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
being reared in the southern part of the state. He worked for twelve years in the
woolen mill at Washington and is a thorough machinist. He is a millwright by trade
and also learned the business of flour milling. He has operated mills at various
points, becoming one of the best millers in southern Utah. At different periods he
has operated woolen mills at St. George and at Washington, and flour mills in Arizona
and New Mexico and also in old Mexico; and not only has he managed the operation
of the mills but has been the builder of the mill property, which lie has on completion
turned over to the corporations in good condition. He is now associated with his
two sons, John and Edson, in the ownership and operation of the roller mill at Bland-
ing, where he and his wife, Mrs. Thressa Black, now make their home. In the work
of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints he has been active and is a member
of the High Priests' Quorum.
John M. Black, Jr., obtained his education in the common schools of Arizona and
from early life worked with his father in various mills, including the Blanding mill,
in which he is now financially interested. He is also the manager and part owner
of the Monticello mill, which has a capacity of fifty barrels. He thoroughly under-
stands the best processes of flour manufacture and the product of the mills with which
he is connected is of the highest grade.
On the 1st of January, 1902, Mr. Black was married at Fruitland, New Mexico, to
Miss Selva Evans, a daughter of Thomas and Jane Ann (Cole) Evans, who were
natives of Wales and in 1892 came to Utah, settling at Salt Lake City. After four
years they removed to Fruitland, New Mexico, through the advice of John R. Young,
and there Mr. Evans took up work in the coal fields but is now working in the coal
mines of Durango, Colorado. The mother has passed away. To Mr. and Mrs. Black
have been born seven children: Marley, whose birth occurred at Fruitland, New
Mexico, November 1, 1903; Loran, who was born in Morelos, Mexico, on the 7th of
February, 1905; Marion, whose birth occurred in Juarez, Mexico, January 20, 1907;
Harold, born at Fruitland, New Mexico, December 12, 1909; Thomas, who was born
at Kirtland, New Mexico. July 10, 1911; Carl, born at Monticello, Utah, December 12,
1917; and Ethel, born at Monticello, March 31, 1919.
In religious faith Mr. Black is a Mormon and in 1900 went to the northern states
on a mission, laboring largely in southern Indiana. He returned in 1901 after work-
ing faithfully as traveling elder. His military record covers eighteen months' service
as a member of the Arizona National Guard. His political allegiance is given to the
republican party, but he has never been an aspirant for office, preferring to concentrate
hie efforts and his energies upon his business affairs. The thoroughness with which
he has learned the milling business and his close application have been the salient
features in the attainment of his success.
HON. THEODORE T. BURTON.
Hon. Theodore T. Burton is one who has left the impress of his individuality
upon the history of city and state in connection with public affairs as well as business
interests. He is now the manager of the firm of Burton & Company, is a well known
business man of Salt Lake and is also one of the city commissioners. He was here
born on the 21st of January, 1873, and is a son of Robert T. and Sarah (Garr) Burton.
The father was one of the leading figures in the public life of the community at an
early day, contributing to the development of the territory and to the upbuilding of
the state. He was also an active factor in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints. Robert T. Burton was born at Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada, in 1819 and was
a son of Samuel and Hannah (Shipley) Burton, who were natives of England and came
to America in 1817, settling at Pultneyville, Wayne county, New York. There they
remained about two years and then went to Canada, where they resided until 1828,
when they removed to Lucas county, Ohio, and subsequently to Adrian, Michigan, while
later they returned to their old home in Canada. In 1838 Samuel Burton, the grand-
father of Theodore T. Burton, was converted to the Mormon faith, his wife having
joined the church the year before. The family left Canada in the fall of 1838 and went
to Knoxville, Illinois, where they resided for a year and then removed to Nauvoo,
Illinois, where they remained until 1846. Robert T. Burton was an active churchman
from the first and did missionary work in Illinois, Michigan and Ohio. Returning to
HON. THEODORE T. BURTON
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 545
Nauvoo, he became a member of Captain Gleason's cavalry company of the Nauvoo
Legion and he was also a member of the Nauvoo Brass Band and the Nauvoo choir.
He left Nauvoo with the first company to cross the Mississippi river and the family
made a temporary home about fifty miles down the river. There the grandmother of
Theodore T. Burton died. In May 1848, Robert T. Burton with his first wife and
family set out on the trip across the plains with Captain Allen's division of the Brig-
ham Young company, arriving at Salt Lake 6n the 23d of September, 1848. The next
spring they made a home at the corner of Second West and First South streets in
Salt Lake City, where the family remained until his death. Robert T. Burton was con-
stable of Salt Lake City in 1852. He became United States deputy marshal in 1853
and for many years filled that office. He was also sheriff, assessor and collector of Salt
Lake county from 1854 until 1874. In 1856 he went to meet a belated handcart com-
pany and he served in the Echo Canyon war as a major general. He likewise became
United States internal revenue collector for Utah by appointment of President Lincoln,
so continuing from 1862 until 1869, and thus in many ways he was actively associated
with events framing the history of the territory and of the commonwealth. Remaining
an active worker in the church, he was counselor to Bishop Cunningham of the fif-
teenth ward of Salt Lake City and in 1867 he became bishop of the same ward. In
1869 he went as a missionary to the eastern states and in 1873 was a missionary to
Europe, becoming president of the London conference. He was also second counselor
to Edward Hunter, presiding bishop, and after the latter's death was first counselor
to the presiding bishop, William B. Preston. He took active part in the early Indian
wars, first as captain, then as major and afterward as major general, being commis-
sioned by Governor Durkee in 1868. He was likewise a member of the constitutional
convention and was one of the committee to arrange, compile and publish all the laws
of the territory of Utah. He likewise served as a member of the board of regents of
the University of Deseret. In community affairs he manifested the keenest interest
and was a member of the city council of Salt Lake from 1856 until 1873. A life of
great usefulness was ended when on the llth of November, 1907, this great and good man
was called to his reward. Robert T. Burton was married to Sarah Garr, the mother
of Theodore T. Burton, February 7, 1856, she having entered Salt Lake City in 1847.
as a pioneer. In their family were twelve children that reached adult age: Henry P.,
Frank, Alfred J., Alice, Lyman W., Elbert T., Edward L., Theodore T., Ada M., Vir-
gina L., Austin G. and Hardy G., while Frank, Alice and Lyman W. are deceased.
Austin G. is now bishop of Talmage, Utah.
In the acquirement of his education Theodore T. Burton attended the University
of Utah, where he pursued a business course. He was reared to farm life and at the
age of twenty-three years went on a mission to the eastern states for two years, after
which he returned to Salt Lake and entered the employ of the Felt Lumber Company.
Subsequently he was with F. H. King, a lumber dealer, and in 1901 he organized the
Burton Coal & Lumber Company, being personally interested in its management until
he disposed of his share in the business in 1913. The following year he became a dealer
In real estate and in 1916 organized the firm of Burton & Company for the conduct of
a stock brokerage and real estate business. He is the manager of this company and as
such has greatly extended its clientage and developed its activities. Mr. Burton is
also a large investor in trackage warehouses, owning several, which he leases to the
large furniture and storage people of Salt Lake City, and in this connection he has
displayed notably sound business judgment, bringing him substantial success.
In 1899 Mr. Burton was married to Miss Florence Moyle, of Salt Lake, representing
one of the leading pioneer families of the city, and they have become the parents of
three children: Theodore, Wilford and Kenneth. James Moyle, the father of Mrs.
Burton, emigrated to America from Cornwall, England, in 1854, landing at New Orleans.
He was married to Margaret Cannel, January 31, 1870, a pioneer who walked across
the plains, entering the Salt Lake valley, August 20, 1868. Mr. Moyle was a prominent
representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served as captain
of a company in the Nauvoo Legion. A mason by trade, he became a leading con-
tractor of Salt Lake City, having charge of the stone work on the Temple block and
later acting as general superintendent of work on the Temple block. He was also a
stanch friend of the cause of education and when he passed away on the 8th of De-
cember, 1890, the capital lost one of its respected and influential citizens.
Mr. Burton remains an active church worker and is superintendent of the Pioneer
Stake Sunday schools, a member of the Stake High Council and a high priest, while his
546 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
wife is secretary of the Fourth Ward Relief Society. He takes a keen interest in
public questions and the vital problems of the age and in 1914 was elected on the dem-
ocratic ticket to the state legislature. In November, 1919, he was elected a city com-
missioner of Salt Lake for a four years' term. His devotion to the general good insures
his capability and progressiveness in the office. His entire life has been characterized
by the spirit of advancement and through capably directed business affairs he has
gained place among the substantial men of Salt Lake City.
Albert Scowcroft, deceased, was a prominent figure in the business life of Utah,
becoming actively connected with merchandising, banking and mining interests and
with the development of theatres and places of amusement. He was born in Haslingden,
Lancashire, England, March 14, 1870, a son of John and Mary (Fletcher) Scowcroft.
He pursued his education in the public schools of Ogden and afterward became inter-
ested in general merchandising with his father and three brothers Joseph, Willard
and Heber, under the firm name of John Scowcroft & Sons Company. He was one
of the directors, vice president and the manager of the salesmen and contributed in
substantial measure to the success of the undertaking. As he prospered he became
interested in banks as well as other business institutions, was also identified with the
Lion Coal Company and other corporations and became interested in many mining
companies of the state. He was likewise the founder of the Liberty theatre of Salt
Lake City and was also the prime mover in the erection of the American theatre of Salt