Lake City and the Alhambra theatre of Ogden, which are the two finest and most elab-
orately furnished theatres in the state of Utah. He took an active part in promoting
amusements of high class and was a most public-spirited citizen and liberal in support
of everything that tended to promote the welfare and progress of his state along the
lines of material, intellectual, social and moral advancement.
Mr. Scowcroft was married twice. On the 14th of October, 1891, at Ogden, Utah, he
wedded Eva Moulding, daughter of William H. and Eliza Moulding. She passed away
December 4, 1904, and on the 7th of July, 1909, at East Ely, Nevada, Mr. Scowcroft
was united in marriage to Miss Laura Henrietta Larsen, daughter of Ludwig and Ran-
dena Larsen. His children were Albert and Marion Scowcroft.
Mr. Scowcroft was a member of the Weber Club and the Elks Club and his religious
faith was that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, of which he was a
consistent follower. It was said that he was everybody's friend and such was his
genial personality that he shed around him much of life's sunshine. Everyone greeted
him with, a smile and his life was the exemplification of the Emersonian philosophy
that "the way to win a friend is to be one."
Among the oldest of the pioneer families of Fillmore are numbered the descend-
ants of the Day brothers. The first of the name to become identified with the pioneer
development of Millard county when the work of improvement and upbuilding had
scarcely been begun in this section of the state was John Day, who wedded Mary
Clark, also a member of one of the pioneer families. Their son, Edward Day, now one
of the leading merchants of Fillmore, is an excellent representative of the class of
men who are developing and upbuilding this section of the state. He was born in
Fillmore in 1874 and attended the district schools of the period through the winter
months. His early boyhood was largely a period of industry and diligence, for from
the time that he was fourteen years of age he herded cattle. He was active in that
work for about eight years and then secured employment in a sawmill, devoting three
or four years to labor of that kind. He next took up the business of sheep herding,
which he followed until 1901, when he was married and established a home of his
own. He early learned that he must make up by reading what he had lost in the way
of educational training in early life and after his marriage he became a most earnest
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 547
aud unremitting student and deep thinker, keeping in touch with the trend of modern
thought and progress along many lines.
In his prosperous business career as a general merchant he has followed methods
that neither require nor demand disguise. His record illustrates that business can be
conducted along profitable lines and in accordance with the strictest principles of
honor. He has never indulged in profiteering in the least degree and to some extent
he has forced others to cut their prices on several occasions. Although located away
from the central district of the city, his reputation for fairness has won for him a
trade not inferior to that of his competitors.
It was in 1901 that Mr. Day was married to Miss Hattie Starley, a daughter of
John Starley, one of the pioneers of Millard county. She is a granddaughter of
Thomas Wade, who was one of the first of the Latter-day Saints in Utah, and he helped
to build the pipes for the great organ in the tabernacle at Salt Lake. He also worked
on the temple at St. George. Mrs. Day is likewise a direct descendant of the Tarbuck
and Starley families, prominently connected with Utah's history. To Mr. and Mrs
Day have been born three children: Verion Starley, La Rue and Nolan Eugene.
Mr. Day was baptized in the Mormon church and while he still adheres to that
faith he has his own belief concerning methods that should govern the church
organization, believing that there are many who do not fully live up to the teachings
as faithful disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. He has ever endeavored to follow
closely in the footsteps of Him who came not to be ministered unto but to .minister.
He has maintained an independent political course and believes that in politics as in
business the Golden Rule should be practiced and is an opponent, as he expresses it,
of the "Rule of gold." It is his belief that the parties of Jefferson and Lincoln have
outlived their usefulness and that the only difference now existing between them is
that of office holding. While he has no remedy to offer for this condition, he feels
that a close observance of the Golden Rule would materially help the situation. That
this is true there is no doubt. Today what the world lacks is a recognition of the
duties and obligations of man to his fellowmen and an elimination of that selfishness
which is causing every individual to look to his own interests with little regard for
the rights, privileges and opportunities of others. "Whatsoever ye would that men
should do unto you, do ye also unto them," would bring about an era of peace and
contentment such as the world has never known.
DAVID R. MCKNIGHT.
David R. McKnight, who follows farming and stock raising at Minersville, where
he was born December 13, 1868, is a son of James and Sarah E. (Howell) McKnight.
The father was born at Kirkconnel, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, June 8, 1830, and came
to Utah in 1858 by the southern route from California. When a boy of fourteen he
left home to earn his own living and was thereafter dependent upon his individual efforts
for support and business advancement. In 1849 he married Janet Graham and went
to Australia during the gold excitement. His wife passed away the following year
1850 and on the 25th of April, 1885, he married Sarah Howell and removed to San
Bernardino, California. While in Australia he joined the Mormon church. He made
the trip to California by way of Honolulu, where they were shipwrecked. He had
charge of the Mormon colony while there and took them ultimately to San Bernardino,
California, but they were later called to Utah and settled at Washington. A son,
James R. McKnight, was born while the parents were enroute to Washington. They
removed to Cedar City and afterward to Parowan and finally settled at Minersville,
where Mr. McKnight made his permanent home. In 1861 he was ordained bishop of
Minersville and presided over the ward for a number of years. He was one of the most
progressive farmers of his time and transformed his land into a rich and productive
tract. He continued an active worker in the church, was ordained a patriarch and
passed away in 1908.
David R. McKnight pursued his education in the common schools of Minersville
and after his text books were put aside worked with his father at farming to the time
of his marriage. He then took up the business of freighting and mining but later resumed
agricultural pursuits, obtaining a farm at Minersville. He has since continued to devote
his attention to the tilling of the soil and for twenty years has now been numbered
Vol. TV 35
548 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
among the active agriculturists of his community. In addition to raising the crops best
adapted to soil and climatic conditions here he is likewise engaged in the raising of
At Minersville, on the 5th of August, 1891, Mr. McKnight was married to Miss
Alice Wood Eyre, who was born in Minersville in 1873, a daughter of Benjamin and
Lucy Ann (Wood) Eyre, the former a native of England and the latter of Provo, Utah.
In early days Mr. Eyre became a resident of Minersville, where he was married. He
filled various positions in the church and was a member of the High Priests Quorum.
To Mr. and Mrs. McKnight have been born four children. David Ivan, born in Miners-
ville, March 18, 1892, married Cassie Myers. Laprelle, born in Minersville, December
20, 1893, married Claud Albrecht and has one child. Glen, born in Minersville, February
23, 1896, married Venetta Vaughn. Benjamin S. was born in Minersville, February 5,
1899. The two younger sons, Glen and Benjamin, were subject to military duty. Glen
was drafted May 30, 1918, and went to Camp Lewis, where he was rejected on account
pf a defect in his eyes. Benjamin S. joined the army in October, 1918, and was dis-
charged on the 21st of December, the armistice having been signed.
Mr. McKnight is identified with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he has served as school
trustee, as county commissioner and as mayor of the city of Minersville. His duties
have been discharged with promptness and fidelity, and he has at all times proved a
capable official and loyal to the best interests of the community which he has thus
Melvin Stewart, a representative farmer of Grand county living near Moab, his
wisely directed efforts bringing to him success in the development of the fields and in
his stock raising activities, was born in Randolph, Utah, December 12, 1878. His parents
were Randolph H. and Sarah (Blazzard) Stewart, pioneer residents of Utah, casting
in their lot with the first settlers of Randolph, the town bearing the given name of
the father, who was bishop there for a number of years. He was called to settle Moab
in 1880 and spent his remaining days in Grand county. He became the first bishop of
Moab and was a most prominent and influential citizen there to the time of his death
in 1907. His wife survives and is still living at Moab.
Melvin Stewart attended the public schools of Moab and when twenty years of
age entered the business world in connection with cattle raising in San Juan county,
where he remained for seven years. He then sold his interests there and established
himself in business in Moab, where he has since been engaged in cattle raising. He
has a splendid farm, which he uses entirely for his stock, his crops being utilized for
feeding, and thus he obtains a double profit. His business affairs are wisely and care-
fully directed, and his efforts and industry constitute the basis of a growing and grati-
At Provo, Utah, on the 6th of January, 1904, Mr. Stewart was married to Miss
Stella J. Taylor, a daughter of Crispin and Emma (Hughes) Taylor, the former a pio-
neer stockman of Grand county who for many years raised large herds of stock in this-
.section of the state. He died in Springville in 1908. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart have become
the parents of three children: M. Duane, who was born December 12, 1906; Mannel
C., born May 27, 1908; and Jean M., born October 26, 1912.
Fraternally Mr. Stewart is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and is a loyal follower of the teachings of that organization, the beneficent spirit of
which has ever commanded for it the respect of the public everywhere.
Lawrence Lemmon, extensively interested in agricultural pursuits, was born Janu-
ary 29, 1878, in the place where he now resides at No. 4130 South Thirteenth East
street, in the Winder ward of Salt Lake county. He is a son of Oliver P. and Caroline
(Helm) Lemmon. In 1763 Robert S. Lemmon, second great-grandfather, emigrated
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 549
from Ireland and settled at Baltimore, Maryland, where he remained for a number of
years. He strongly advocated the question of American liberty and when independence
was declared in 1776 was at the front and aided in bearing the brunt of battle. He was
present at General Braddock's defeat and also at the capture of Cornwallis. Robert
S. Lemmon had four sons: Robert Jr., William, James and John, of whom Robert Jr. :
died at New Albany, Indiana. William went to Louisiana and later to Mississippi,
where he passed away. James served as a messenger boy in the Revolutionary war,
carrying messages between George Washington and his father, Robert S. Lemmon.
He was at that time a youth of seventeen. He lived in Pennsylvania until 1786 and
then removed to Kentucky. His younger brother, John, died in Kentucky in young
manhood. James Lemmon subsequently removed to Corydon, Harrison county, In-
diana, in the year 1818. He married Sarah Carr, who became the mother of Wash-
ington Lemmon, the grandfather of Lawrence Lemmon of this review. Washington
Lemmon was born October 6, 1806, in Shelby county, Kentucky, and was reared to
manhood in Harrison county, Indiana. In 1830 he removed to Adams county, Illinois,
where he resided for twenty years. In 1841 he joined the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints and he became a personal friend of the prophet Joseph Smith
and assisted in building the temple at Nauvoo. During the time that Joseph Smith
was a candidate for the presidency of the United States Mr. Lemmon made campaign
speeches in his behalf throughout Illinois. He was absent in Indiana at the time that
Joseph Smith suffered martyrdom at Carthage. For two years Mr. Lemmon resided
at Council Bluffs and on the 10th of September, 1852, arrived in Utah. He settled on
a farm in Millcreek ward of Salt Lake county and became a prosperous agriculturist
of that region. At Corydon, Indiana, in August, 1826, he had married Tamer Stephens,
a daughter of John and Stacey Stephens. They had a family of twelve children,
eight sons and four daughters, all of whom reached adult age, namely: James Wil
liam, who was born May 16, 1827; Stacey Ann, who was b'orn March 8, 1829, and mar-
ried Vergil Merrill; John Wesley, born August 15, 1831; Nancy Melissa, who was born
September 6, 1833, and married Patriarch John Smith; Jasper, born August 5, 1835;
Willis, August 12, 1837; Leander, November 10, 1839; Alfred, January 9, 1842; Oliver
Perry, September 25, 1843; Mary Emily, September 17, 1845; Artimzie Caroline,
November 8, 1847; and Hyrum, November 23, 1849. Of this number Alfred and Hyrum
are still living. Washington Lemmon, the father of this family, was a prominent
churchman and served as bishop's counselor for more than twenty years. He died
October 2, 1902, at the notable old age of ninety-six years.
Oliver Perry Lemmon, father of Lawrence Lemmon, homesteaded the land upon
which the latter now resides and devoted his life to farming and to church work. He
was head ward teacher for many years and was senior president of the Quorum of
Seventy during the later years of his life. He was also superintendent of Sunday
schools at the time of his death, which occurred in 1894.
Caroline (Helm) Lemmon, mother of Lawrence Lemmon and the seventh in a
family of twelve children was a daughter of Abraham and Mary Helm, and was born
in Ohio, March 30, 1846, and emigrated to Utah in 1855, settling on Cottonwood creek
near Jordan river. She married Oliver P. Lemmon in 1869 and still lives on the place
where they began married life.
Lawrence Lemmon was the third in order of birth in a family of seven children,
namely: Mary Alice, now Mrs. Charles J. Peterson; Oliver Ernest; Lawrence; Wash-
ington; Caroline May, the wife of Jolin P. Davis; Samuel Perry; and Abraham H.
The last named has recently returned from France after twenty-one months' service
with the Motor Mechanics Corps and while in France was at Epinal, where the shops
were only about thirty miles from Metz.
Lawrence Lemmon acquired a common school education and took up the occupa-
tion of farming in his native county. He has since given his attention to agricultural
pursuits save for about four years, when he was herding sheep in Wyoming, and in
ranching at Rigby, Idaho. He has carefully developed and promoted his agricultural
interests and has a splendid tract of land, highly cultivated.
On the 27th of October, 1915, Mr. Lemmon was married to Annie C. Shepherd, of
Salt Lake City, a graduate of the normal course of the University of Utah. She taught
school for several terms before her marriage and also traveled extensively, making
trips to both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. She is a daughter of Robert and Anna
(Jorgensen) Shepherd, both of pioneer Utah stock. Mrs. Lemmon is second counselor
550 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
to the president of the Relief Society in her ward, and before taking this office was
president of the Young Ladies Mutual Improvement Association.
Mr. Lemmon served on a mission to the central states, laboring in Nebraska,
South Dakota and Colorado for thirty months in 1908, 1909 and a part of 1910. Mr.
Lemmon is second counselor to the president of the Cottonwood stake religion class,
also a member of the stake board social committee, and is chairman of the Winder
ward social committee. He is an elder and is active in the choir and the Young
Men's Mutual Improvement Association. Mrs. Lemmon is secretary of the stake
religion class. In politics he is a democrat and is now serving as a constable in pre-
cinct No. 3 of Salt Lake county. Mr. Lemmon is a representative of an old, promi-
nent and honored American family, identified with the history of this country from
colonial days. The family has been especially active in the development of Utah,
contributing to its material, intellectual, political and moral growth and progress.
Jacob Zollinger, who through his active business career followed ranching, is now
living retired at Providence, having passed the seventy-fourth milestone on life's
journey. His active and useful life well entitles him to the rest that he is now enjoy-
ing. He was born in Switzerland, July 3, 1845, a son of John and Elizabeth (Usteri)
Zollinger, who came to Utah in 1862 and settled at Providence. There the family be-
came actively identified with farming and stock raising and also took prominent and
helpful part in the construction of canals, in the building of roads and in the promotion
of all public enterprises. The father was an elder in the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints and passed away in 1875.
Jacob Zollinger was a youth of sixteen years when the family came to Utah and he
has since made his home at Providence. He at first assisted his father in farm work
and then took, up the business as a life occupation, giving his attention to farming
and stock raising for many years. His labors were wisely and carefully directed and
his industry and enterprise brought to him substantial success. Like the others he,
too, aided in the work of public improvement and assisted in every project tending to
develop and upbuild this section of the state.
In 1870 Mr. Zollinger was married to Miss Rosetta Loosli, a daughter of Wulrich
and Ashimann Loosli, who were natives of Switzerland. Thirteen children were born
of this marriage, one of whom, Anna E., the eighth in order of birth, is now deceased.
The others are Jacob, William, John, Joseph, Rosetta, Henry, Mary, Aaron, Oliver,
Geneva, Lawrence and Evaline. Oliver was a member of the One Hundred and Forty-
fifth Field Artillery and was on active duty in France. He had previously enlisted in
the army in 1916 and served on the Mexican border. Lawrence was a member of the
Marines and was located at Mare Island, California. John served in the Spanish-
American war and in the Philippines for eighteen months, so that three of the sons
have done active military service for the country.
The family has always been identified with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-
day Saints and Jacob Zollinger, following in his father's footsteps, has remained an
active worker in the church and is now a high priest. In 1889 he was sent on a mis-
sion to Switzerland, where he labored until 1891. He has filled some secular offices,
serving as road supervisor and also as school trustee for several years, and the cause
of education has found in him a stalwart champion.
DAVID J. ROGERS.
David J. Rogers, who since 1907 has followed farming and stock raising at Blanding,
was born at Provo, Utah, October 9, 1866, his parents being Henry C. and Emma (Hig-
bee) Rogers. The father was a native of New York and the mother of New Jersey.
Henry C. Rogers joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and re-
moved to Montrose, Iowa, just across the Mississippi from Nauvoo, Illinois, when
the people were driven from the latter place. In 1851 he came to Utah, settling at
Provo, where he resided until 1876. He was then called to settle in Arizona, on the
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 553
Salt river. He was a wheelwright and carpenter by trade and assisted in building
the Brigham Young Academy on the corner of Main and Fifth West streets, formerly
owned by Dr. J. D. M. Crockwell and afterward destroyed by fire. A splendid garage
now stands on the site. While at Provo, Mr. Rogers served as captain of the police,
also filled the position of jailer and was deputy sheriff under John Turner. He
planted the first alfalfa and made one-third of the first ditch taken out on Provo
bench. He was very prominent in church work, acting as counselor to the bishop,
and in Arizona he helped build the substantial town of Lehi. During the last twenty-
eight years of his life he labored largely with the Indians, teaching them the gospel,
and was active in establishing an Indian ward, in which now reside some of the
most intelligent Indians of the west. They attended the Indian school built by the
government and Phoenix and there Mr. Rogers labored to a considerable extent, prin-
cipally with the Pima and Papago Indians. He was counselor to three different presidents
of the Maricopa stake and after twenty-eight years of almost constant missionary work
he passed away in 1904, mourned by the entire community, including both the Indians
and white settlers.
David J. Rogers obtained his public school education at Provo, Utah, and at Lehi,
Arizona, and left the latter place in the spring of 1890 to become a resident of Laplata,
New Mexico. In 1894 he removed to Bluff and in 1907 became a resident of Blanding,
where he has since followed farming and stock raising. His business interests have
always been wisely, carefully and energetically directed and have brought good results.
He is also a stockholder in the San Juan State Bank and in the cooperative store of
At Manti, on the 25th of November, 1891, Mr. Rogers was married to Elizabeth
May Stevens, a daughter of Walter and Marietta (Mace) Stevens, who were early
settlers of Utah, taking up their abode at Pleasant Grove. They afterward removed
to Holden and in 1880 went to Fruitland, New Mexico, while in 1885 they became
residents of Bluff, Utah. The father' followed farming and stock raising and he filled
a mission to the States. Both he and his wife are now deceased. The children of Mr.
and Mrs. Rogers are twelve in number, namely: John David, born October 1, 1892,
who filled a mission in Texas from 1911 to 1913 and married Louella Hurst, by whom
he has one child; Emma M., born in May, 1894, who married Wallace A. Burnham
and has three children; Bertha May, who was born November 12, 1896, and gave her
hand in marriage to Frank Hurst; Lois, whose natal day was May 28, 1899; Theresa,
whose birth occurred September 1, 1901; Cecil, born May 3, 1903; Nina, born Novem-
ber 9, 1904; Clarence, born June 19, 1906; Anthony, born April 6, 1908; Lila, born
October 13, 1909; Lavern, born September 4, 1911; and Rulon, born November 15,
1913. Frank Hurst, the son-in-law of Mr. Rogers, joined the army in 1917 as a member
of the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Artillery and went to Camp Kearney. He was
with the mechanical engineers and proceeded overseas. Had the armistice not been
signed he would have been at the front that week.
In his political views Mr. Rogers is a republican, giving strong endorsement to
the party, and he has filled the office of justice of the peace. His religious belief is
that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and he filled a two years'
mission to Mexico, returning in 1889. He spent six months of the year 1900 in the
Snowflake stake of Arizona in the interests of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement
Association. He served as counselor to the stake superintendent of the San Juan
stake and has been a member of the high council of the stake, also counselor to the
bishop for nine years and served for a number of years as stake superintendent of
religion class work. His interest in the church work has been manifest in many
tangible ways and his labors have been an effective force in extending its influence.
HON. JAMES G. DUFFIN.
Hon. James G. Duffin, who during the past five years has been successfully en-
gaged in the real estate business in Salt Lake City as president of the Duffin & Stone
Company, was at one time a member of the Utah legislature and for seven years acted
as president of the central states mission. He represents an honored pioneer family