learned to have a wholesome regard for his thorough and accurate knowledge of the
principles of jurisprudence. While he continues as a general practitioner in both
criminal and civil cases, he specializes in water rights litigation and probably stands
at the head in the state as an attorney on irrigation and water rights. His word is
generally accepted as authority upon any phase of this question.
In 1886 Mr. Houtz was married to Miss Edna Lyman, daughter of Apostle Francis
M. Lyman of the Church of. Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Their daughter Zula
is the wife of Mark Cheever, chief engineer of the Utah Light & Power Company.
Their son, Elwood L., was attending Cornell University at the time of the World war
and volunteered for service in the United States navy, being assigned to the frigate
Corsair. He was among the first Americans to reach France and was not only the first
Utah boy to be cited for extraordinary bravery but was also sent to Annapolis for
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 569
instruction and soon secured a commission. He was then assigned to the New Mexico
and later to the new destroyer, Dent, which he commanded for a time. He afterward
became attached to the government emergency fleet of the shipping bureau and is still
serving in that capacity. Coming from such stock as the Houtz and the Lyman fam-
ilies, this young man has proven that blood will tell. The younger members of the
family are: Virginia, who is now the wife of Merton Hersch, of Los Angeles, California;
and Maxime, a high school student.
THOMAS MARTIN IVORY.
Thomas Martin Ivory, a young, active and popular member of the bar of Fillmore,
who is lending material aid in the upbuilding of Millard county and of the state at
large, was born in Springfield, Ohio, in 1885, a son of James and Margaret (English)
Ivory. Both families were pioneers of Ohio and did much toward the development
of that state. The father was largely engaged in railroad construction.
Thomas M. Ivory pursued his education in the public schools of Springfield, Ohio,
passing through consecutive grades to the high school, while later he entered upon an
academic course in the Baldwin University at Cleveland. Following his graduation in
1906 he went to Salt Lake City for the benefit of his health and accepted a position with
the Tracy Loan & Trust Company. He remained with that corporation for several
years, during which time he entirely recovered his health in the bracing climate of
Utah, after which he returned to Cleveland and pursued a course in law at the Baldwin-
Wallace College, from which institution he was graduated with the class of 1914. In
the same year he was admitted to practice by the supreme court of Ohio and entered
upon the active work of the profession in Cleveland. After remaining for two years in
that city he decided that both the climate and the people of Utah were more to his
liking and removed to Fillmore, Millard county, where he opened an office and entered
upon the practice of law. He was accorded a cordial welcome here and soon built up
a large practice, in the conduct of which he displays marked ability and compre-
hensive knowledge of the principles of jurisprudence. He prepares his cases with great
thoroughness and care, is zealous in behalf of the interests of his clients yet never
forgets that he owes a still higher allegiance to the majesty of the law. He has busi-
ness interests outside of his practice also, being the proprietor of the Fillmore Abstract
Company, which has done much to further realty transfers in Millard county. He is
also attorney and director in the Fillmore Commercial & Savings Bank, Fillmore, Utah.
In 1913 Mr. Ivory was married to Miss Alta Huff, a daughter of Henry Huff, of
Oasis, Utah, and a granddaughter of A. K. Thurber, who was one of the prominent men
of Utah for many years. In addition to the various political and public offices which
he held he was for twenty-five years the president of the Sevier stake in southern Utah
and guided that department of the Mormon church through all the troubles and trials of
the early days. As a pioneer settler and Indian fighter and a devout and unselfish Chris-
tian his memory Is revered by all the people of southern Utah. Mr. and Mrs. Ivory
have a son, Thomas, who already gives promise of being a worthy descendant of the
pioneers of two great states.
FRANK W. THATCHER.
Frank W. Thatcher, a stock and bond broker of Logan, who has won an enviable
position in business and financial circles of his adopted city, was born in Salt Lake,
April 3, 1878, a son of George W. and Fannie (Young) Thatcher. The father was born
in Virginia, and became one of the notable figures in connection with the pioneer history
of the west. His name is inseparably associated with the development and upbuilding
of this section of the country in many ways. He rode the pony express in pioneer
times, was superintendent of the Utah Northern Railway Company and established
the Thatcher Brothers Banking Company. He was thus actively interested in railway
building and operations and in financial interests of the state. He married a daughter
of Brigham Young and passed away in December, 1902.
Frank W. Thatcher completed his education by study in the Brigham Young College
570 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
of Logan, which he attended from 1893 until 1896. He then traveled as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for four and a half years, visiting
many parts of Europe while engaged in the work of the church. He then returned to
Logan and for four years was a member of the school board of the city. He after-
ward organized the Thatcher Clothing Company and thus became an active factor in
commercial circles in Logan. In more recent years he has turned his attention to
the brokerage business, handling stocks and bonds, and has secured a large clientage in
this connection. He is the successful son of a wealthy pioneer banker. His life indicates
that wealth need not be a handicap, as it has been to many young men, seeming to
stultify ambition and enterprise. On the contrary Mr. Thatcher has embraced his
opportunities and is today at the head of a business of substantial and gratifying
In 1901 Mr. Thatcher was married to Miss Maima McAlister, of Logan, and they
became the parents of two children, a son and a daughter, Frank W., Jr., and Mary-
jean. In 1917 Mr. Thatcher remarried, choosing for his wife Velva O. Snyder, of
Grove City, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Thatcher has membership with the Commercial Boosters Club and is serving
on^ts board of directors, taking a keen and helpful interest in all of its well formulated
plans for the upbuilding of the city, for the promotion of its trade connections and
the maintenance of high civic standards. He has always been greatly interested in
athletics, at all times enjoying clean sport. In 1895, when a young man of seventeen
years, Mr. Thatcher was the first Utahn to break a world's record on the bicycle. His
record for the third-mile stood unbeaten on the world's records for several years. He
held all state records from one-quarter to two miles and won for himself many laurels.
His political endorsement is given to the democratic party but without ambition or
desire for office. He stands as a high type of American manhood and chivalry and
as a prominent representative of one of the honored pioneer families of the state.
Oluf Anderson is now living retired in Richfield, enjoying in well earned rest
the fruits of his former toil. He has passed the seventy-fifth milestone on life's
journey, his birth having occurred in Sweden in 1844, his parents being Andrew and
Mary B. Anderson. The son was reared in Norway and spent fifteen years of his
early manhood in that country, being employed at various lines of business. For
two years he was a seaman on a Norwegian ship. He afterward took up the
occupation of blacksmithing and later worked as a mechanic in a steamboat building
plant. He finally operated a rock quarry and became a contractor and builder in
Both Mr. Anderson and his wife having become converted to the faith of the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, they resolved to become residents of
Utah and in 1874 crossed the Atlantic to the new world, establishing their home in
Sanpete county. For a number of years Mr. Anderson engaged in various kinds of
work but ultimately turned his attention to sheep raising. He was the first settler
of Grass valley and had many unpleasant experiences with the Indians, who fre-
quently visited his place, trying in every possible way to obtain possession of some
of his sheep. On one occasion they demanded five hundred sheep from a band of
twenty-two hundred but were finally induced to accept three as a compromise.
After devoting four years to sheep raising Mr. Anderson removed to Richfield and
soon made investment in one hundred and seventy-one acres of land, which he culti-
vated continuously until a few years ago, when he retired from active business and
disposed of his sheep and cattle. For years he carefully cultivated his fields and
cared for his flocks and through the wise management of his business interests won
a substantial measure of success. At length, however, he disposed of his interests
and has since made his home in Richfield, where he has a comfortable residence on
South Main street.
The living children of Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are: Oscar, a farmer residing in
Delta, Utah; Lee, Ole and Lorenzo, who are also farmers of Delta; and Mrs. Tilly
Teassen, residing at Ely, Nevada.
Mr. Anderson has always been a devoted follower of the church and is a high
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 573
priest and president of the Scandinavian Society of the Latter-day Saints. In 1914
he was called on a mission to Scandinavia, but the World war caused the church to
recall him after a brief stay abroad. While living in Grass valley he was the presid-
ing elder. In politics he is a democrat of the old school but has never sought or
desired office. He served, however, as the first city marshal of Richfield. His entire
life has measured up to high standards of manhood and citizenship, his devotion to
duty being one of his marked characteristics, and he has ever been loyal to any
cause that he has espoused.
It was on the 6th of April, 1880, that Kumen Jones located in Bluff, Utah, and
there he has since made his home. He is the owner of the Long Canyon ranch, a splen-
did property, and also has farming and stock raising interests at Blanding, while with
several business corporations he is identified. At the same time he has been a lifelong
and active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in which he is
now a bishop.
Mr. Jones was born at Cedar City, Utah, May 5, 1856, and is a son of Thomas and
Sage (Ti^harne) Jones. The father came to Utah in the fall of 1849 and married Sage
Traharne in Salt Lake City, where they continued to reside for a year or so and then
removed to Spanish Fork, remaining there only a short time, however. Subsequently
they became pioneers of Cedar City, where Thomas Jones assisted in building an iron
foundry, and was there employed for two years, but followed farming throughout the
greater part of his life. He was counselor to Bishop Henry Lunt of Cedar ward and
filled other offices in the church. He was known as a man of high character and marked
strength of purpose, always standing for the right. He died in 1862, while the mother
of Kumen Jones long survived and passed away in 1901.
The educational opportunities which Kumen Jones enjoyed were those afforded by
the public schools of Cedar City. He was called to go with Silas S. Smith's company to
explore the San Juan country. When called, his letter read: "Open the way, farm the
land, cultivate the friendship of the Indians and establish an outpost with a view of
future colonization." The work required the entire summer of 1879 and in the fall
of that year Mr. Jones returned for his family and has since been a resident of San
Juan county. He spent the winter of 1879-80 working on the road to San Juan with a
large company. He has seen the county grow and develop until it is one of the pros-
perous and populous counties of the state. He has assisted in the establishment of
several towns, helped survey Monticello and promote its irrigation ditches, and the
same work he did at Blanding. As the years have passed he has become more and
more closely identified through investment with business activities of this section and
is now the owner of the Long Canyon ranch, a splendid property, and also has land at
Blanding devoted to farming and stock raising. He Is likewise one of the stockholders
in the San Juan Cooperative Company at Bluff, in the San Juan State Bank and in the
Lasal Land & Live Stock Company.
Aside from his connection with the material development of the community, Mr.
Jones has proven an active factor in its moral progress, laboring earnestly as a mem-
ber of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served as counselor in 1880
and in 1910 was ordained bishop of Bluff ward. He was also stake superintendent of
the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association for a number of years.
At St. George, on the 19th of December, 1878, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to
Miss Mary Nielsen, a daughter of Jens and Elsie (Jensen) Nielsen, who were also
connected with the first expedition to Bluff. Her father was one of the most prom-
inent and influential citizens of San Juan county for a number of years, being instru-
mental In holding the people together through the period of early hardships and
privations. He was likewise active in the building of Bluff and assisted in establishing
six other settlements in Utah. For twenty-four years he was bishop of Bluff ward, with
Kumen Jones and L. H. Redd, Jr., as counselors. Both he and his wife are now
deceased. To Kumen and Mary (Nielson) Jones was born one son, Leonard K., who
married Ruth Perkins and has two children.
Mr. Jones was married in St. George Temple, December 2, 1882, to Miss Lydia
May Lyman, a daughter of Amassa M. Lyman, and to them were born the following
574 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
children: Franklin T., deceased; K. Stanley, who married Mary Porter and has three
children; Thomas D. Alton, who married Anna Jones and also has three children; Mar-
vin W., who married Mary Ann Palmer and has three children; Edward C. ; Leland
H. ; Mary Lydia, who married Melvin J. Adams; Marion; Alma U.; and Francis W.
All were born at Bluff.
In his political views Mr. Jones has long been a republican and has been called upon
to serve in several positions of public honor and trust. He was the first county super-
intendent of schools in San Juan county and was a member of the school board for
twenty years. He was called to the office of county superintendent when Silas S.
Smith obtained financial assistance from the territorial legislature in the winter of
1879-80 to assist the company who were opening the road from Garfield county to the
San Juan river, the Mormon church also giving some financial aid. Thus along the
lines of intellectual as well as material and moral development Mr. Jones has contrib-
uted to the upbuilding and progress of San Juan county and is numbered among its
most valued and honored citizens.
DAVID S. WILLIAMS.
David S. Williams, editor and proprietor of the Emery County Progress, published
at Castle Dale, was born at Springville, Utah, March 16, 1889, his parents being David
Freeman and Leah (Eggleton) Williams, the former a native of Wales, while the latter
was born in England. Coming to Utah, Mr. Williams settled in Salt Lake City, where
he was married, but afterward removed to Springville and recently to Provo, where he
and his wife now reside.
David S. Willams was educated in the schools of Springville and in 1904 went to
California with his parents. He learned the printing business when in that state and
continued to follow the trade on the coast for some time. In 1910 he removed to Castle
Dale, Utah, and accepted the position of foreman with the Emery County Progress. In
1912 he purchased the plant and assumed charge of the Progress, increasing the size
of the paper, winning for it a much larger circulation and making it a journal wide-
awake to the interests of the whole county. He owns the building and plant and has
added considerable equipment to the latter, making it one of the best newspaper offices
of the state. He does everything in his power to advance the welfare and upbuilding
of the community and the entire "Empire of Emery" through the columns of his paper
and is the champion of every interest of public worth.
In Salt Lake City, on the 8th of March, 1912, Mr. Williams was married to Miss
Edna Douglass, a daughter of William J. and Harriet (Fairbanks) Douglass. The
former was, with his father, one of the pioneer merchants of Payson, Utah, the firm
having for years the largest mercantile house at that place. They were among the
earliest residents of Payson and for a long period William J. Douglass continued in
business there but has now passed away. The mother is still living, occupying a com-
fortable home in Payson. To Mr. and Mrs. Williams has been born a daughter, Lois,
whose birth occurred at Castle Dale, October 28, 1913. Mr. Williams' religious faith
is that of the Mormon church. During the World war he was a member and secretary
of the Emery County Council of Defense and did everything in his power to uphold the
interests of the government and promote the welfare of the soldiers in camp and field.
He is a wide-awake, alert and progressive business man and citizen and his cooperation
can be counted upon to further any plan or measure for the general good.
THOMAS CLARK CALLISTER, JR.
Thomas Clark Callister, Jr., of Fillmore, has ever been recognized as a man of
action rather than of theory and has proven a dynamic force in the locality in which
he resides. He comes from a distinguished family of pioneers and churchmen; is a
grandson of Thomas Callister, who was one of the early bishops of Fillmore and one
of the most prominent of the pioneer settlers, and a son of Thomas C. Callister, Sr.,
who also served as bishop in the church, and filled the offices of county clerk and
recorder, probate judge, and county superintendent of schools of Millard county.
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 575
Clark Callister, as he is called, was educated in the graded schools of Fillmore, in
the Brigham Young University of Provo and in the Utah Agricultural College, being
graduated from the last named institution in 1903 with the degree of B. S. C. E. He
at once accepted employment with the United States reclamation service and was
assigned to the Strawberry Valley project. He remained on that work until 1905, when
the appropriation became exhausted and he was transferred to the Truckee-Carson
project in Nevada. In 1906 he returned to Fillmore and continued the practice of his
profession there that he might be able to better take care of his business interests in
Millard county. Upon returning to Fillmore he immediately became prominent in civic
and public affairs. He was instrumental in the promotion of and engineer in the con-
struction of the Fillmore water works system, was engineer for the Kanosh water
works system, and was construction engineer for the Sevier River Land & Water Com-
pany when they constructed their canal in which to convey the waters of the Sevier
. river onto the bench lands of northeastern Millard county. It was in the year 1912,
while he was associated with the last named company, that he conceived the idea that
if the gradient of their canal were reduced, it could be extended and made to cover the
rich fertile land lying below Fillmore and Holden. In order to det'ermine the feasibil-
ity of this project, Mr. Callister, at his own expense, made the necessary preliminary
surveys and then gave to the people of east Millard county the startling information
that at a reasonable cost the waters of the Sevier river could be conveyed in a gravity
canal to this thirsty yet fertile land. This survey and report, coupled with the energy
and public spirit of Mr. Callister and others whom he interested, finally culminated in
the organization of the Pahvant irrigation district in 1917. Thus he made real the
dreams of fifty years that water would be obtained from some source to irrigate the
thirty thousand acres of fertile land lying below Fillmore and Holden. For two years
he was chief engineer of this project but because of his personal business requiring
more of his time he resigned from this position.
During the year 1903 the Western Union Telegraph Company decided to discontinue
service over the Deseret telegraph line in southern Utah. Mr. Callister, in company
with his father and others, realizing the great injury that would come to the people
of his native county by being thus deprived of the means of rapid communication with
the outside world, purchased the lines of the Western Union Telegraph Company in
eastern Millard county and organized the Millard County Telegraph & Telephone Com-
pany. In spite of the fact that this company had to operate for a number of years
without profit and at times at a loss, thus causing many of its stockholders to refuse
to advance more money with which to make improvements and "extensions, Mr. Callis-
ter, still realizing the necessity of this public utility, purchased the stock of the dis-
couraged stockholders and at a considerable sacrifice of time and money built up a
telephone system which now serves all of Millard county and parts of Juab county.
The system embraces more than one hundred and fifty miles of toll lines, with ex-
changes in nearly every town in Millard county. Mr. Callister occupies the position
of manager of this company, is manager and director of the Peoples Telephone Com-
pany, and is a stockholder in many of the industrial and semi-public corporations in
southern Utah. In addition to his industrial holdings he is an extensive farmer and
In May, 1906, Mr. Callister was married by Apostle Francis M. Lyman in Salt Lake
Temple to Miss Millie Petersen, a daughter of Andreas Petersen, who was a pioneer
and wealthy farmer of Scipio. He was honored by election to the office of county com-
missioner and to other positions of public trust. Mr. and Mrs. Callister have an inter-
esting family of three children: Leland Clark, Duane Harold and Rulon Andreas.
In 1915 Mr. Callister was elected mayor of Fillmore and in 1917 was reelected for
a second term, which continued until January, 1920. Under his administration the old
town began to take on new life and interest in improvements. Several miles of cement
sidewalks were constructed, the first ever put down in the town. His administration
introduced an electric light system, building a municipal plant and arranging with a
neighboring power company to furnish the electricity that has made the town a well
lighted city. Another achievement of Mayor -Callister was the enlargement and im-
provement of the water works, of which he was the engineer. The mean head pressure
now is about one hundred and fifty feet, ample to give fire protection to a three story
During the World war Mr. Callister's patriotism was manifest in his services in
576 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
support of the Liberty Loan bond issues and he also was chairman of the Millard County
Chapter of the American Red Cross. His political allegiance has always been given to
the republican party, and Ee is a member of the republican state central committee and
chairman of the republican county committee. In his busiest moments he has never
forgotten his church work and has ever been a faithful adherent of the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in which he has served as Sunday school superin-
tendent. His aid and influence are always given on the side of progress, improvement,
righteousness and reform. It has often been said that "He who makes two blades of
grass to grow where one grew before is a public benefactor," and judged by this stand-
ard in his relation to the development, upbuilding and improvement of Millard county
Thomas Clark Callister, Jr., may well be called a public benefactor.
JAMES G. KARAS.
James G. Karas, conducting business at Ogden under the firm style of the Orpheum
Candy Company at No. 2522 Washington avenue, was born January 6, 1890, in Acrata,
Greece. His father, the late George Karas, was a native of that place and for many
years was city clerk and a very prominent citizen, taking an active part in public