To thinking and planning it seems he was led,
To get up a machine that would go by itself
And steam, wind and lightning put by on the shelf.
At length this great genius developed the plan
That in embryo laid, smothered up in the man,
Since the days of "Excuse me, I really can't tell,
We'll leave that at present, perhaps it's as well."
Now it ran in his head (why not on the ground)
To bring out his model, if one could be found,
That could do up the job, in the twink of an eye,
And quick as a shot, one said he would try.
Not many days after the thing came to light;
It put all the Saints in a terrible flight;
To view it you'd scarcely get in at the door,
Such a rush that they had to prop up the floor.
A trial of speed they determined upon
And started at once for the land of Zion.
Yes, they went to the valleys of Utah and back
While your neighbor would ask for the loan of a sack.
To Russia they sped like a shaft from a bow
And landed quite safe in that region of snow
And into St. Petersburg all in a crack
And pitched Alexander right down on his back.
The emperor quickly jumped up on his knees
And ordered his Cossacks the intruders to seize.
But before they had time to collar the scamps,
They were safely let down in Sebastopol's camps.
Not liking to stay in so crooked a place,
They hopped o'er the lee to the island of Greece,
But finding that Russia had friends there so dear.
They flew off in a jiffy, they could not tell where.
594 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
They found themselves safely in big London town,
Where they said they would stay and put up at the Crown.
They called for roast beef and a horn of brown stout,
Being tired and hungry with flying about.
They ran up a score of ten shillings or so
And the landlord he wanted his money, you know.
They told him to make out a bill for his peck
And before he could do it, they flew to Quebec.
Having gone halfway over the beautiful globe,
They determined some other creations to probe
And started for Jupiter, Saturn and Mars.
With a dozen or more of such elegant stars.
But, wonder of wonders, they went to the moon
And a greater than all will come to it soon
They went beyond space, before you could nod,
And drank tea with the famous sectarian God.
James Cantwell spent his youthful days under the parental roof and after
attaining his majority took up the occupation of farming, which he has followed
throughout the greater part of his life. In March, 1897, however, he opened a
general merchandise store, which he conducted successfully for thirteen years and
then sold, after which he again resumed the occupation of farming, and it is to
the tilling of the soil that he owes much of his success in life.
On the 15th of January, 1872, Mr. Cantwell was married to Miss Julia Ann
Collett, a daughter of Daniel and Esther (Jones) Collett, who were natives ot
England and came to Utah in September, 1849, remaining for one year in Salt
Lake City and then removing to Lehi, where they resided until 1858. In that
year they went to Plain City, being among its pioneers, and in 1860 came to
Smithfield, where the father engaged in farming. He was also a wagon maker by
trade and made wagons for Brigham Young. Before coming to Utah he was located
for a time at Council Bluffs. He was a versatile man, possessing much natural
mechanical skill and ingenuity, so that he could do almost any kind of work, in-
cluding blacksmithing and carpentering. He also served as water master. To Mr.
and Mrs. Cantwell have been born nine children: Daniel James, deceased; William
Hamer; Elthura, who has passed away; Francis Reuben, also deceased; Stephen;
Julia; Nora; Esther; and Milo.
While in Missouri Mr. Cantwell, at the request of his father, gathered about
one thousand peach stones, which were brought to Utah by Milo Andrews, to whom
they gave them. They were then planted by William Casto, producing the first
peach orchard in Utah. This constituted the beginning of the peach industry in
the state and some of the finest peach orchards of the entire country are found
in Utah. Mr. Cantwell has for several years been a member of the city council
and for a number of years he was mail carrier. He has always been active in the
work of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, formerly served as an
elder and is now a high priest. In Utah he has found good business opportunities
and, moreover, has found the most pleasant associations with the people of his
own faith. He is today a highly respected resident of Smithfield, having passed
the seventy-seventh milestone on life's journey.
Perhaps there is no name in Millard county that carries with it the suggestion of
force, resourcefulness and capability to a greater degree than that of Almon Robison.
who worked his way upward from small beginnings until he became one of the largest
ranchers and stock raisers of the county. When he passed away he not only ranked as
a millionaire but as a much beloved citizen whose benefactions blessed many homes and
whose memory remains as an inspiration and a benediction to those who knew him.
Mr. Robison was a son of Joseph and Lucretia Robison, who came to Millard
county in the early days, when Fillmore was the capital city. Almon Robison was
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 595
but eleven years of age when the family settled at Fillmore, his birth having occurred
in Michigan in 1845. His education was such as could be obtained in the country
schools of that period and as he grew to manhood he assisted his father in the care
of the home farm. He early developed a love of cattle and the outdoor life of the
cowboy and started out in the cattle business in a humble way but developed his
interests with such amazing rapidity that within a few years his cattle were num-
bered by the tens of thousands and his brand was known all over the country. More-
over, hundreds of men who are successful today owe their good fortune to the kindly
interest of Almon Robison, who proved a friend in thef? youth and started them upon
the highroad to success.
While Mr. Robison was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints, he could not be termed in a way what is a strong churchman. His only active
church work was that of a missionary to England in his early youth. All those forces
which make for human betterment, for the uplift of the individual and the advance-
ment of higher ideals in the community, however, found in him a stalwart champion.
He supported those institutions which promote good fellowship, was a friend of
schools and churches and was ever found a most liberal subscriber to agencies for the
public benefit. It is said that there were hundreds of families throughout the county
who were largely dependent upon his charity, which was always of a most unostenta-
In 1873 Mr. Robison was married to Miss Josephine Sweeting, a daughter of
Judson Sweeting, who belonged to one of the pioneer families of Michigan. This
estimable lady, being blessed with no children of her own, ably seconded her husband's
kindness to young people and found pleasure in mothering the many boys and girls
who today bless the name of Almon and Josephine, Robison for kindly advice, for
assistance and genuine friendliness. Mr. Robison died in the spring of 1919, leaving
not only a large fortune but the priceless heritage of an untarnished name and a
much loved memory. Mrs. Robison still finds keen pleasure in performing the deeds
of kindness and generosity that made the name of her honored husband a distinguished
one in the county in which he lived.
GILBERT M. BURR.
Gilbert M. Burr is actively identified with agricultural activities and business
interests which have contributed in substantial measure to the upbuilding and develop-
ment of Emery county, his home being at Emery. He was born in Glenwood, Utah,
February 10, 1881. When the work of development and improvement had scarcely
been begun in this state his grandparents became residents of Utah. His parents
were Henry U. and Caroline (Beal) Burr. The father was born in Salt Lake City in
1854 and the mother in Manti, in 1857. His grandfather in the paternal line left
New York in 1847 on the ship Brooklyn and made the voyage around Cape Horn, land-
Ing at San Francisco after six months spent upon the water. He erected one of the
first houses built in San Francisco by a white man and made the first casket of rose-
wood for the captain's daughter known to be made by a white man or by American
people. He was at Sutters Mill when gold was first discovered and as soon as he had
acquired a sufficient sum to defray his expenses to Utah made his way with cattle
to Salt Lake City, where he arrived in the fall of 1848. The great-grandfather of
Gilbert M. Burr was with the party but returned to the mines of California for more
gold and was never heard from again. Henry U. Burr with his father afterward re-
moved to Payson and later they became pioneer settlers of Grass Valley, which was
afterward called Burrville. In 1907 Henry U. Burr removed to Provo, where he took
up his permanent abode, passing away May 30, 1919. The mother of Gilbert M. Burr
is still living.
In the common schools of the town which was named in honor of his family Gilbert
M. Burr pursued his early education, which was supplemented by a three years' course
in the Brigham Young University at Provo, from which he was graduated in 1903.
He became a resident of Emery county in 1906 and with others engaged in merchan-
dising, purchasing the business of a company that had not succeeded in making the
enterprise a profitable one. After three very successful years Mr. Burr bought out
the fnterests of his partners and later sold the business, which yielded a good profit
Vol. IV 38
596 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
to all interested. He then turned his attention to the breeding and raising of live
stock and has since carried on general farming and stock raising, being regarded
as one of the most progressive, alert, enterprising and sagacious business men of
, Emery county. In addition to his ranch he owns a half interest in a sawmill, is a
stockholder in the Gunnison Valley Sugar Factory, a stockholder in the Ferron Statp
Bank and also in the Rochester Ranch Company near Emery. His judgment is sound
and he readily discriminates between the essential and the non-essential in all busi-
Mr. Burr was united in marriage to Catherine Olson, who was born in Mayfield.
Utah, a daughter of George T. and Catherine (Edwards) Olson. Her father was born
in 1860 in Fairview, Sanpete county, and her mother in St. George. In 1889 they
removed to Emery county, where Mr. Olson engaged in the live stock business, as
he had in Sanpete county, and also carried on merchandising. He has been quite
successful and is now a prosperous citizen. His wife died in 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Burr
have become parents of four children, all natives of Emery, namely: Morse, who was
born July 6, 1907; Catherine Ardys, born September 3, 1910; Milton Lee, November
25, 1914; and Henry, January 3, 1920.
Mr. Burr is a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
and in the fall of 1903 went en a mission to the northern states, with headquarters in
Chicago. He returned in the spring of 1906 and is now president of the One Hundred
and Forty-ninth Quorum of Seventy. His political endorsement is given to the re-
publican party but the honors and emoluments of office have had no attraction for
him as he has preferred to concentrate his efforts and energies upon his business
affairs. He is a man of well balanced capacities and powers and has occupied a central
place on the stage of action in his section of Utah almost from the time his initial effort
was made in the field of business. His labors have found culmination not only in the
promotion of his individual success but also in the development of Emery county, and
his is the record of a strenuous life the record of a strong individuality, sure of
itself, stable in purpose, quick in perception, swift in decision, energetic and per-
sistent in action.
CHARLES A. WORKMAN.
Charles A. Workman, devoting his attention to agricultural and horticultural pur-
suits, his hrme being at Hurricane, Washington county, was born in Virgin city, Utah,
September 3, 1870, a son of Andrew J. and Sariah (Johnson) Workman. The father
was a pioneer to Dixie and in the early days was a member of the Mormon Battalion.
In 1848 he went to the Pacific coast but the same year returned to Utah. In 1861 he
was called to settle Dixie and took up his abode at Virgin city, where he lived for
a half century, there following the occupation of farming. He died in Hurricane in
Charles A. Workman pursued his education in the district schools of Virgin city,
in St. George Academy and in the Brigham Young University. He afterward taught
school for twelve years at Virgin city and at St. George and then turned his atten-
tion to merchandising, which he followed for thirteen years, conducting a store at
Virgin city for two years and for eleven years at Hurricane. He then disposed of
his commercial interests in order to devote his entire attention to farming and fruit
raising and in the latter line has been particularly successful, producing some of the
finest fruit raised in this section of the state. He has made a close study of the best
methods of propagating and caring for his trees, keeping them in excellent condition
through the enrichment of the soil and judicious spraying. He is also a stockholder
in the Hurricane Canal Company.
At St. George, on the 26th of April, 1892, Mr. Workman was married to Miss
Josephine Pickett, a daughter of Horatio and Harriet (Johnson) Pickett, of that place.
Her father, a carpenter by trade, was leader of the St. George Tabernacle choir and
bishop's counselor for many years and spent a number of years in temple work but
is now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Workman have been born eleven children, five of
whom are living, namely: Viola D., who was born April 7, 1897; Flora B., born Au-
gust 4, 1900; Hazel D., August 13, 1902; Carl F., February 20, 1907; and Eloise, April
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 597
In religious faith Mr. Workman and his family are members of the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He served as bishop's counselor at Virgin city and
again in the same position at Hurricane, filling the office to the present time. He also
filled a mission to the central states. His political endorsement is given to the demo-
cratic party and he has been called to several political offices, serving as justice of
the peace, as president of the town board and as county school superintendent. He
has made an excellent record by the prompt and faithful discharge of his duties in
every relation of life, and public opinion classes him with the representative and
valued residents of Washington county.
R. DELBERT RASMUSSEN.
R. Delbert Rasmussen, conducting business at Monticello under the name of the
Liberty Mercantile Company, of which he is both manager and proprietor, was born at
Ephraim, August 23, 1887, a son of Rasmus and Hannah (Cooper) Rasmussen. When
Utah was still in the pioneer epoch of its history his grandparents came to this state,
settling in Salt Lake City, but the following year removed to Ephraim. The grandfather
brought with him to Utah a train of emigrants numbering seventeen families from Den-
mark, paying all of their expenses from that country until they reached their desti-
nation. He had become a convert to the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-
day Saints and he brought with him people of similar faith, outfitting the train and
meeting all of the expenses of the trip in order to aid in colonizing Utah. On his
arrival in Salt Lake City he consecrated all he had left to the church and, removing
to Ephraim, lived in a cellar, as was the custom in various localities in those days.
It was an outside cellar, obtaining light only from the door in most instances. Some,
however, built their cellars about two and a half feet above the ground and had
narrow windows. This was a very cheap way in which to build a home and proved
much warmer than a tent. The grandfather reared his family there and was very
happy and contented throughout his life. His son, Rasmus Rasmussen, father of R.
Delbert Rasmussen of this review, was born in Denmark and accompanied his parents
to the new world in 1852, becoming with his father a resident of Ephraim. He was
later called to go to Circle Valley, but soon afterward he and the other settlers were
driven out by the Indians and he returned to Ephraim. He was in service under
Captain Snow at Ephraim during the Black Hawk war from 1865 until 1867 inclusive.
He followed the vocation of farming as a life work and remained an active member of
the church, serving as a member of the Seventy Quorum. He has passed away.
R. Delbert Rasmussen obtained a public school education at Ephraim and pursued
a partial business course in Snow College and completed his studies of that character
through a correspondence course, being thus graduated. He began work when only
thirteen years of age for eight dollars per month, being employed in a general mer-
chandise store. That he was faithful and competent is indicated by the fact that
he remained with the firm for seven years. He then removed to Tooele, Utah, and
entered the employ of the Tooele Trading Company. In 1910 he returned to Ephraim
and established the Rasmussen Cash Grocery but sold out in October, 1912, to go on
a mission to London, England, as traveling elder, being absent in that work for twenty-
six months. In 1914 he went upon the road as a traveling salesman and in the spring
of 1915 removed to Monticello, where he took up land and also opened the Golden
Rule Cash Store in a log house. He is now conducting business under the name
of the Liberty Mercantile Company and has erected a good modern store building,
in which he carrie's a line of general merchandise and machinery. He is
accorded a liberal patronage, his business steadily increasing. He has recently as-
sisted in establishing the San Juan Forwarding Company, of which he was made
At Manti, on the 2d of October, 1907, Mr. Rasmussen was married to Miss Callie
Dorius, a daughter of C. R. and Margaret (Nielson) Dorius, who are natives of
Ephraim. The father taught school in early life and also followed farming. He
filled a mission to Norway and upon his return resumed the occupation of farming
and stock raising. He was ordained bishop of the south ward of Ephraim at the
death of his father, who had been bishop, and he continued to fill the position for
twenty-four years, when he resigned. He is prominent in the public life and political
598 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
interests of community and state, having served for two terms as a member of the
state legislature, as mayor of Ephraim for one term and as a member of the city
council for several terms. He is now a member of the library board of Ephraim.
The mother of Mrs. Rasmussen is also living. To Mr. and Mrs. Rasmussen have
been born five children: Rolf, whose birth occurred at Ephraim, September 30, 1908;
Dorothy, born at Ephraim on the 16th of November, 19101 Byron, born at Ephraim,
January 27, 1913; Margaret, whose birth occurred at Monticello, August 20, 1916;
and Dorius, who was born at Ephraim, July 24, 1919.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Mormon church. The military
experience of Mr. Rasmussen covers three and a half years' service with the Utah
National Guard at Ephraim as a member of Company G. His political endorsement
is given to the republican party but he is not an active politician, although he keeps
well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He prefers to concentrate
his efforts and attention upon his business affairs and as head of the Liberty Mer-
cantile Company he is building up a business of gratifying proportions.
Willard Parker, who is engaged in ranching at Wellsville, was born in Cedar Val-
ley, Utah, October 2, 1854, and is of English lineage. His parents, Henry and Nancy
(Riley) Parker, were natives of England and about 1850 came to Utah, casting in their
lot with the early settlers of Cedar Valley, where they resided until 1855 and then re-
moved to the Cache valley. About 1859 they took up their abode at Wellsville, where
the father engaged in farming. He was prominently identified with the building of the
first canals and roads and with all other public work of the locality. He made a busi-
ness trip to England at a later period and did some missionary work while there,
being at the time about sixty years of age.
Willard Parker obtained his early education in the public schools of Wellsville and
afterward took up the occupation of farming as a life work. In addition to tilling the
soil" he has engaged extensively in raising, feeding, buying and selling cattle and has
won success through the conduct of his efforts along that line. Of late years, however,
he has concentrated his attention more extensively upon the raising of sugar beets
and wheat. Whatever he has undertaken he has carried forward to successful comple-
tion, and his perseverance, determination and industry have constituted the foundation
of a very desirable success.
In December, 1880, Mr. Parker was married to Miss Isabella Henry, a daughter
of John and Margaret (Archibald) Henry. Seven children were born of this marriage:
Margaret, deceased; Willard H.; Nancy H.; Henry H., also deceased; Farrell H.;
Elizabeth H.; and John H., who has passed away. The mother of these children is
likewise deceased. On the 1st of November, 1899, Mr. Parker wedded Miss Mary Jones,
a daughter of Leonard and Sarah (Walters) Jones. They have become the parents of
five children: Earl J.; Sarah J.; Larue, deceased; Leonard J.; and Clifford J.
Mr. Parker remains a consistent member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-
day Saints, in which he is now a high priest. He served for one term as" a member of
the city council but has not been a politician in the sense of office seeking. However,
he is not remiss in the duties of citizenship and any plan or project for the general
welfare receives his hearty endorsement and support.
WILFORD W. PENDLETON.
Wilford W. Pendleton, who is engaged in blacksmithing at Panguitch, was born
at St. George, Utah, November 27, 1876, his parents being Benjamin F. and Alice
(Jeffrey) Pendleton. The father came to Utah in 1849 and the mother arrived in this
state from England in 1861. Benjamin F. Pendleton was a resident of the ninth ward
of Salt Lake City until the time of his marriage to Alice Jeffrey in 1861, when he re-
moved to St. George, being one of the first settlers called to locate there. He was a
blacksmith and machinist and also did work as a gunsmith, making his own tools and
also his own horseshoe nails. He likewise built the first cotton gin in St. George
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 601
and thus he was actively identified with the industrial and business development of
the place. He was a member of the city council and was prominent in church work,
serving as a member of the Stake High Council. He died in St. George in 1871, while
Mrs. Pendleton long survived, passing away in 1915.
In the common schools of St. George, Wilford W. Pendleton began his education
and afterward attended normal school for a year. He came to Panguitch in 1898.
He was but five years of age when his father died. In early life he learned the black-
smith's trade under George M. Underwood, of Panguitch, and later purchased an in-
terest in the business, being thus associated in partnership with Mr. Underwood until
the latter died in 1913, since which time Mr. Pendleton has carried on the business
alone. He has a well equipped smithy, is accorded a liberal patronage and has won
a fair measure of prosperity as the years have passed by, owning his home in Pan-
In this city Mr. Pendleton was married May 1, 1900, to Lucy Underwood, who was
born in Beaver, Utah, June 29, 1879, a daughter of George M. and Sarah J. (Lee) Un-
derwood. Her father served as a farrier in the army during the Civil war and was
wounded in the side, from which injury he never fully recovered. Migrating west-
ward, he first went to California and in 1870 came to Utah, settling at Beaver. He
again worked for the army at Fort Cameron as camp blacksmith. While in Beaver
he was married and in 1882 removed to Panguitch, where he established a blacksmith
shop, which he managed to the time of his death in 1913, his wife passing away in