ter was born in Provo, Utah. William Spendlove was called to settle southern Utah
with the first pioneers of this section of the state. After living at Graftoii for twelve
years he removed to Virgin city, and there the mother passed away, but the father
survives and now makes his home at Hurricane.
=J. W. Spendlove supplemented his public school education, acquired at Virgin
city; by a normal course at Cedar City, and, thus well qualified by educational priv-
ileges for life's practical and responsible duties, he started out in the business world.
In 1907 he became a resident of Hurricane, where he engaged in farming and cattle
raising, meeting with good success along those lines until 1909, when he disposed of
his land and his cattle and made investment in sheep. His attention has since been
given to sheep raising and he has prospered in this undertaking. He is also a stock-
holder in the Iron County Commercial Bank of Cedar City.
At St. George, on the 6th of March, 1908, Mr. Spendlove was married to Miss Mat-
tie Campbell, a daughter of George and Mary (Sanders) Campbell. Her father made
his home on a ranch near Virgin city and became a prominent citizen. At the present
writing he is living at Hurricane, but his wife passed away in 1900. To Mr. and Mrs.
Spendlove have been born seven children, namely: Vinona, who was born December
16, 1908; Winford, born January 21, 1911; Relva, July 23, 1912; Elwin, April 10, 1914;
Lanar, April 17, 1916; Viva, September 27, 1917; and Tren, May 20, 1919.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-
day Saints, and Mr. Spendlove gives his political support to the republican party, but
while he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, he has never
been an office seeker, preferring to concentrate his time and attention upon his busi-
ness affairs, which have been developed along lines that have brought most satisfactory
JOSEPH W. PRINCE.
Joseph W. Prince, a prominent sheep raiser handling only Rambouillet sheep,
makes his home at St. George, Washington county. He wafe born at New Harmony.
Utah, August 23 r 1877, and is a son of Francis and Elizabeth (Imlay) Prince, who
settled at New Harmony in 1856. The father follows farming and stock raising,
handling both sheep and cattle, and specializing in Hereford cattle and Rambouillet
sheep: In' the conduct of his business of this character he has been very successful.
Joseph W. Prince obtained a public school education at New Harmony and then
attended the Agricultural College at Logan. When eighteen years of age he began
the ; business of sheep shearing in the summer months, while the winter seasons were
yet 1 devoted to the acquirement of an education. Later he rented a band of sheep,
which Tottned the nucleus of his present large flock. He owns his lambing ground
and summer range * and he handles only high grade Rambouillet sheep. There is noth-
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 617
ing that contributes to success in sheep raising with which he is not familiar. Broad
experience, and close study have given him wide and intimate knowledge of the busi-
ness in every particular, and his labors have been attended with a measure of suc-
cess that makes him one of the foremost representatives of the sheep industry in
Southern Utah. He has also become an investor in other business interests and is
now a stockholder in the Iron Commercial & Savings Bank, in the Utah Live Stock
& Loan Company and the Bank of Southern Utah at Cedar City. He is a stockholder
and director in the Dixie Stock Growers Bank of St. George; vice president of the
Blooming Dome Oil Company; and vice president of the St. George Oil & Gas Company.
Mr. Prince was married at St. George, May 1, 1900, to Miss Vivian Pace, daughter
of W. D. and Elizabeth (Lee) Pace. Her father was a pioneer resident of New Har-
mony and was prominent in church work there. In later years he removed to Arizona,
where both he and his wife passed away, his death occurring in 1899, while the mother
died in 1911. To Mr. and Mrs. Prince was born a daughter, Velva, whose birth oc-
curred at New Harmony, January 21, 1903. When she was a maiden of fifteen sum-
mers the mother was called to the home beyond, her death occurring July 25, 1918.
Because of her many excellent traits of heart and mind her demise was the occasion
of deep regret not only to her immediate family but also to many friends.
On the 10th of December, 1919, Mr. Prince married Miss Isabell Williams, of
Kanarra, Utah, a daughter of R. J. and Martha (Davis) Williams. She was born in
Kanarra, February 8, 1885, and received a college education at Cedar City, Utah. Later
she took up nursing as a profession and followed that occupation for ten years.
Mr. Prince belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and filled
a mission to the central states. His political endorsement is given to the republican
party but he has never been an office seeker. He is preeminently a business man who
has concentrated his efforts and attention upon his interests, chiefly in connection
with the sheep-raising industry. Thoroughness and enterprise characterize everything
that he undertakes and long experience enables him to speak with authority concern-
ing anything having to do with sheep raising in Southern Utah.
IRA S. McMULLIN.
Ira S. McMullin, of Leeds, owns and operates a farm in Washington county,
which he secured as a homestead in 1875, and in addition to the development of this
property he is devoting his attention to stock raising. He was born at North Weber,
Utah, September 5, 1852, and is a son of Willard G. and Martha (Richards) McMullin.
The father, a native of the state of Maine, came to Utah in 1848 and resided at various
places in this state until 1862, when he settled at Harrisburg, where his remaining
days were passed.
Ira S. McMullin obtained a public school education at Harrisburg and when twentv
years of age began freighting, which he followed for two years. He afterward worked
with his father at the mason's trade and in 1875 he took up a homestead, whereon he
has continued to live, and during the intervening period he has greatly improved the
property, making it a valuable place. He has been very successful, not only in the
development of his fields, but in stock raising and is particularly interested in handling
On the 7th of December, 1874, in Salt Lake City, Mr. McMullin was married to
Miss Helen E. Leany, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Scarce) Leany. Her father
and family came to Utah in 1847, settling first in Salt Lake City, and then removed
to the southern part of the state with the Dixie pioneers, taking up his abode at Har-
risburg, where his remaining days were spent. To Mr. and Mrs. McMullin were born
seven children. Martha M., born October 2, 1875, married Allen Fleming and they
have three children. Elizabeth C., born August 25, 1877, married James McQuaid, by
whom she has two children. Marietta, born August 25, 1884, married Vivian K.
Marriger. Ira E., was born on August 30, 1888, married Hazel Hopkins and
they are the parents of three children. Karl A. was born October 10, 1893. Al-
bert and Helen M. are deceased. The son Karl A. entered upon military training in
April, 1918, and on the llth of August of that year landed in France as a member of
Company B, Fifty-sixth Infantry. He was on the battle front for four days, when he
was wounded and sent to the hospital, where his condition forced him to remain
618 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
for five months. He then returned to America and was discharged July 7, 1919, hav-
ing made a splendid record as one of the defenders of the interests of his country in
the great World war.
Ira S. McMullin and his family are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints and he filled a mission in the northern states, while at the present
time he is a high priest and teacher in his ward. His political views are in accord
with the principles and platform of the democratic party and he is now filling the
office of justice of the peace. He also served as postmaster of Leeds and has occupied
other positions of public honor and trust, the duties of which he has discharged with
credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. Following the even tenor of his
way, he has steadily advanced along the path to success through the forty-five years
in which he has owned his present farm and concentrated his efforts and attention upon
its development and improvement.
Godfrey Fuhriman, formerly identified with ranching, is now living retired in
the enjoyment of well earned rest in a pleasant home at Providence. While he has
put aside the more active cares of business life, he still remains an earnest worker
in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is serving as bishop. He was
born at Durrenroth, in Canton Bern, Switzerland, June 15, 1859, his parents being
Jacob and Barbara (Loosli) Fuhriman, who emigrated to the United States in 1860
and made the trip across the country to Utah with the James T. Ross company, ar-
riving on the 3d of September. They had become converts to the teachings of the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in the fall of 1860 they took up their
abode at Providence, where the father engaged in farming, an - occupation which he
followed to the time of his death. He also contributed to the work of public im-
provement and was prominently identified with the building of canals. No plan or
project for the general good sought his aid in vain and in addition to his efforts in
behalf of public utilities he took an active part in church work. He filled the posi-
tion of ward teacher and for thirty years presided over the Germans in his locality.
Several years prior to his death he was ordained a high priest. He likewise served
as a school trustee and as a director of irrigation companies and thus his life became
one of broad activity and usefulness. He died May 11, 1914.
Godfrey Fuhriman obtained his education in the district schools of Providence
and has always followed the occupation of farming and stock raising as a life work.
He has thus led a busy life, carefully cultivating his fields in the production of crops,
while his pastures sheltered fine stock. He also became connected with financial and
manufacturing interests in his district. He is a stockholder and one of the directors
of the Cache Valley Bank, is also a stockholder in the sugar factory, is a director of
the water company and was the president and a director of the South Cache Valley
Milling Company. His cooperation has thus largely furthered the business develop-
ment of the region in which he makes his home.
On the 7th of July, 1881, Mr. Fuhriman was married to Miss Bertha Mary Fred-
rick, who was born January 7, 1860, a daughter of Arnold and Elizabeth (Enz)
Fredrick, who were natives of Switzerland. They came to Utah in 1870 and settled
at Providence. Six children were born to Godfrey and Bertha Mary Fuhriman: God-
frey J., who filled a mission to Germany from 1910 until 1913; Arnold J.; Minerva B.,
who married Le Roy Jones; Rachel E., who married William Kleopfer; Festus M.,
who is at present on a mission in Switzerland, where he has been since 1916; and Oli-
ver W. The wife and mother passed away February 11, 1895. In July following Mr.
Fuhriman was married to Elizabeth Fluckiger Von Almen, a daughter of Ulrich
and Annie (Kaser) Fluckiger. The four children of this marriage are Walter, Rulin
L., David H. and Dora. The two sons, Oliver and Walter Fuhriman, were soldiers of
the World war.
Mr. Fuhriman has remained throughout life a consistent member of the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in 1909 was ordained bishop, after having
previously served as bishop's counselor to Frederick Theurer for twenty years. From
1884 until 1886 he filled a mission in Switzerland. His labors in behalf of the church
have been far-reaching and resultant and throughout his life he has been actuated by
MRS. BERTHA MARY (FREDERICK) FUHRIMAN
First wife of Godfrey Fuhriman. Born Jan. 7, 1860; died Feb. 11, 1895
a progressive spirit that has produced substantial results for the church, for the
community in general and in the upbuilding of his own fortunes as well. His un-
tiring industry and his judicious investments now enable him to live retired.
WALTER C. LYMAN.
Walter C. Lyman, who is engaged in farming and stock raising at Blanding, well
deserves mention in this connection, as he was the promoter of the town and is ac-
credited with much of the success which has attended its development and upbuild-
ing He was born at Fillmore, Utah, October 1, 1863, his parents being Amasa M. and
Caroline (Partridge) Lyman. In the early history of the Mormon church the father
settled at Nauvoo, Illinois. Joining the church, he later was ordained one of the twelve
apostles at Nauvoo and was with his people when they were expelled from Illinois
and started on the long trip across the plains to Utah. He drove cattle over the hot
stretches of sand in 1849 and first settled at Farmington, while during the move of
1857 he went to Fillmore. In 1854, in company with C. C. Rich, he was sent to San
Bernardino, California, to establish a branch of the church and returned the follow-
ing year. He also filled a mission to England and after the move he traveled over
the state in the interests of the church. He passed away at Fillmore in 1876. The
mother of Walter C. Lyman removed to Oak Creek in 1871 and there resided contin-
uously until her death in 1915.
Walter C. Lyman is indebted to the public schools of Fillmore for the educational
opportunities which he enjoyed and which qualified him for life's practical and re-
sponsible duties. When a boy he went to Bluff with the original settlers there. In
1885, at the age of twenty-two years, he went to Salt Lake City, where he remained
until 1902, being with the Cooperative Wagon & Machine Company for seven years,
and then in connection with others he incorporated the Utah Implement Company, of
which he became the vice president. In 1897 he became very much interested in
Blanding, or rather in the present site of the city, which at that time was covered
with sagebrush and a cedar growth. In 1899 he sold his interest in the Utah Im-
plement Company to go upon a mission and upon his return to Utah in 1902 he located
at Bluff and almost immediately afterward turned his attention to Blanding. In fact
he was the first promoter of the town and is accredited with much of its development
and success today. The canal was surveyed and partly finished while he was on his
mission and was completed in 1905 ready for the first settlers. In 1906 Mr. Lyman
removed to Blanding, where he owns a large farm and has extensive stock interests.
He also has an attractive home and he has been very successful in the development
of his individual fortunes and in the upbuilding of the welfare of this section of the
state. In addition to his farming and live stock interests he is the president of the
San Juan Irrigation Company.
At Salt Lake City, October 4, 1883, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Lyman and
Miss Sylvia Lovell, daughter of John and Hannah Lovell, who were residents of Oak
City. The father is now deceased, but the mother is living. To Walter C. and Sylvia
Lyman were born three children, namely: Walter C. and Lillie Ann, who have passed
away; and Frederick S., who married Ellen Dutson Milser and has one son. The
wife and mother passed away and on the 16th of December, 1891, at Manti, Mr. Lyman
was married to Elizabeth Finlinson, a daughter of George and Susan Finlinson. Her
father was counselor to the bishop for a long time and was a very successful financier.
Both he and his wife are deceased and their daughter, Mrs. Lyman, died at Blanding
in August, 1917. The children of the second marriage are ten in number, as follows:
Ethel, who was born at Salt Lake City in 1893; Marvin, whose birth occurred at Salt
Lake City in 1894; Zola, born at Salt Lake City in 1896; Lucile, who was born at
Salt Lake City in 1899 and has passed away; Susan, whose birth occurred at Oak City
in 1902; Ray, who was born at Bluff in 1904; Lynn, born at Bluff in 1905; Margaret,
born at Blanding in 1907; George, born at Blanding in 1910; and Barton, who was born
at Blanding ia 1914.
Adhering to the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mr.
Lyman worked on the Manti temple for one spring when a boy and in 1899 went on a
mission to the northern states, having his headquarters at Chicago and laboring in
Illinois and Ohio. During the latter part of the period he was made president of the
622 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
mission of six states, traveling over the entire mission field. He returned in 1902
and was ordained president of the San Juan stake in the same year, holding the presi-
dency until 1910, when he was released. He is now a member of the High Priests'
Quorum. His political endorsement has long been given to the republican party and
he is a recognized leader in its ranks. His fitness for political office led to his election
to the state legislature for the years 1895 and 1896, and while a member of the gen-
eral assembly he gave the most thoughtful and earnest consideration to the vital
questions which came up for settlement. Whatever he undertakes he does with thor-
oughness and his ability is widely recognized.
EDWARD R. PIKE.
Edward R. Pike, attorney at law and one of the highly respected citizens and
public officials of Eureka, was born in Lincolnshire, England, a son of P. N. and Mary
(Randall) Pike. The father was a mechanic and engineer in the old country and
came to America in the early '70s, making his way across the continent to Utah. His
family, then numbered five children, of whom Edward R. is the youngest, the others
being Amelia, Annie, Walter R. and John W.
Edward R. Pike obtained a common school education and afterward pursued a
general advanced course in the University of Utah, thus laying broad and deep the
foundation upon which to build the superstructure of professional learning. He en-
tered law offices in Salt Lake City and after thorough preliminary reading was ad-
mitted to the bar in 1892. Two years later he removed to Eureka, where he has since
been numbered among the prominent and influential residents of the city. For ten
years he served as county attorney of Juab county, being the first democrat ever
elected to that office. He was city attorney for six years and he has always been a
most successful lawyer, never having been able to take care of all of the business
that has been offered him. He prepares his cases with great thoroughness and care,
and his opinions concerning any cause have always awakened the interested attention
of his colleagues and contemporaries at the bar. He is strong in argument, clear in
his reasoning and logical in his deductions. Aside from his practice Mr. Pike has
valuable mining interests which now occupy much of his attention.
In 1889 Mr. Pike was married to Miss Mary L. Foster, a daughter of Broughton
and Mary (Sutton) Foster. Mrs. Pike was born in North Carolina and is a repre-
sentative of one of the old families of the south. Her mother was born in Virginia,
the family having become residents of that state at a very early period. Members of
the Sutton family were graduates of the West Point Military Academy and figured
prominently in connection with the Civil war'. The father of Mrs. Pike, following
the Civil war, was prominent in connection with the lumber and shingle business as
manager for an uncle who had extensive timber lands in the south. Mr. Foster, how-
ever, died during the early girlhood of Mrs. Pike, after which the mother took the
family to Boston to enjoy the educational advantages there offered. Mrs. Pike is a
highly educated woman and came to Utah as a teacher in the '80s. By her marriage
she has become the mother of two sons, Raymond C. and Julian Alan. The former
is now agent for the Oregon Short Lines at Cornish, Utah. He was agent for the Salt
Lake route for ten years. Julian is now pursuing a course in mechanical engineering
in the University of Utah. He enlisted in the Fifth Field Artillery in May, 1917, and
was trained at Fort Bliss. On the 17th of July, 1917, he went to France. He was one
of the youngest soldiers from Utah eighteen years of age to go across, and went with
the First, or General Pershing's, Division. He saw active service on thirteen fighting
fronts and was on duty throughout the entire period of America's connection with the
war save for the first eleven days after war was declared. He went across the Rhine
with the army of occupation, being among the first troops in Germany, and in June,
1919, he was discharged with a most creditable military record, one of which his
parents have every reason to be proud.
Mr. Pike was chairman of the legal advisory board of Juab county throughout the
entire war period and was formerly United States commissioner for the county. His
wife took a most helpful interest in all war activities and made over two hundred
comfort kits for soldiers in the army. Mr. Pike is a charter member of the Elks Lodge
at Eureka, also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and of the former is a past exalted
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 623
ruler and is also past grand chancellor of the Knights of Pythias. He served as dis-
trict deputy for the Elks in Juab county and is a past grand of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, having joined the lodge in Salt Lake before removing to Eureka.
In politics he has always been a stalwart democrat, active in support of the party,
and has been a member of the county central committee. His wife has served on the
board of the Carnegie Library since the erection of the library building in 1910. Her
interest centers in those things which are of intellectual and moral worth, which tend
to uplift the individual and promote the welfare of the community, and they are ac-
counted among the most honored and respected residents of Eureka.
WILLIAM W. SPENDLOVE.
Well directed energy is bringing substantial success to William W. Spendlove, a
representative farmer and sheep raiser of Hurricane, Washington county. He was
born in Rockville, Utah, July 16, 1868, and his entire life has been passed in his na-
tive state, his efforts being a contributing factor to the development of the various
localities in which he has lived. His parents, John and Mary (Davis) Spendlove
were natives of England and became pioneer residents of Dixie, settling at Virgin
city, where they resided for six years and then removed to Rockville. A few years
later, however, they returned to Virgin city, where they resided until 1911, "when they
became residents of Hurricane. The father died in the same year, but the mother
William W. Spendlove acquired a district school education at Virgin city, where
the greater part of his youth was passed. He afterward followed various occupations
until 1892, when he went to Tropic, Garfield county, of which he was a pioneer, being
the seventh family to locate there. He purchased a farm, upon which he resided until
1907, and then returned to Virgin city, where he lived for another period of two years.
In 1909 he took up his abode at Hurricane, where he secured a good farm, and in con-
nection with its cultivation he and his sons are giving their attention to the raising
of cattle and sheep.
On the 20th of May, 1890, at St. George, Mr. Spendlove was married to Miss Alice
Isom, a daughter of George and Alice (Parker) Isom, the former a prominent farmer
and merchant of Virgin city. To Mr. and Mrs. Spendlove have been born six children:
William H., who was born July 21, 1891; George, born March 6, 1893; Lafayette, born
October 8, 1896; Alice E., who was born October 16, 1898, and is now the wife of Burr
Bradshaw; Tennessee, born September 19, 1902; and Effie, born October 7, 1904. The
son, George, enlisted on the 26th of April, 1918, at St. George, Utah, and became a
member of the Three Hundred and Sixty-fourth Infantry, which was attached- to the
Ninety-first Division. He saw overseas service, being in the St. Mihiel offensive from
the llth to the 13th of September, 1918; in the Meuse and Argonne engagements from
September 26th to October 4th; at Ypres and Lys from October 31st to November llth,
when the glad news swept over the world that the German forces had asked for an
armistice. He received his discharge April 27, 1919, having made a splendid record
as one of that great band of khaki-clad boys who demonstrated the efficiency of