he has ever placed the general welfare before partisanship and the interests of the com-
monwealth before personal aggrandizement.
JOHN EDWARD STEELE.
John Edward Steele, connected with the Hub Mercantile & Produce Company of
Delta, of which he is the secretary, and identified with other business interests which
are an influencing force in the development and upbuilding of Millard county, was
born in Panguitch, Utah, in 1872. He was one of the first three children born in
that town, his father, Moroni M. Steele, having been one of the first residents there.
The father was a native of Salt Lake City, where his parents settled in 1849., He
removed first to Parowan and afterward to Panguitch and became a prominent factor
in the development and growth of southern Utah. He was a very active and loyal
churchman and for thirty-two years was high counselor of the Panguitch stake of
the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
John E. Steele was educated in the graded schools of MIll^j J county and in the
Brigham Young University of Provo. In 1899 he was called to a mission in California,
where he served for two years. Upon his return he became manager of the Panguitch
Cooperative Company and later turned his attention to farming and dairying. In
1910 he removed to Delta, where he has since resided, and upon locating here he
organized the Hub Mercantile & Produce Company, of which he is secretary-treasurer.
Vol. IV 45
708 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
He has also acted as agent for the Globe Grain Company and is identified with other
business interests. He has large realty holdings in the town and also owns and cul-
tivates large farm properties both in Garfield and Millard counties. In various ways
he is thus contributing to the upbuilding and development of the stat,e.
Mr. Steele is widely recognized as one of Delta's most prominent and progressive
citizens. He has been the president of the Delta Commercial Club, is the vice presi-
dent of the Delta State Bank and a director of the Melville Irrigation Company. In a
political way he has been trustee of Delta and mayor of,* v .^ <v.ty, and the ordinances
which are now in force here were written by him. As president of the Commercial
Club he is credited with giving Delta its name, which he selected because of the
town's location on the flats of the Sevier river. He was appointed a committee of
one to secure the location of a sugar factory in Delta and succeeded in bringing that
important enterprise to the town, thereby increasing the population to the number
of four hundred, as with the establishment of the sugar factory many workers came
here to secure employment.
In his church work Mr. Steele has served with faithfulness in every position to
which he has been called. During his residence in Panguitch he was for years presi-
dent of the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association. He also filled a home mis-
sion and has been teacher of the high priests class.
In April, 1897, Mr. Steele was married in Salt Lake Temple to Zypher L. D/uelle,
a daughter of Lewis Druelle, of Salt Lake City and a representative of one of the old
pioneer families of the state, one of whom, Osmond D/uelle, built on the corner of
what is now Temple Square in Salt Lake the cabin that is now one of the treasured
exhibits in the church museum. To Mr. and Mrs. Steele have been born the following
named: Melba, Laura Belle, Chlora A., Alton D., Arthur K., John H. and LeRoy V.
Like her husband, Mrs. Steele is a devout member of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints and belongs to the Young Women's Mutual and is secretary and
treasurer of the Ladies Relief Society.
From the period of his earliest connection with Delta, Mr. Steele has proven
a most important factor in the upbuilding and development of the town. His aid
and influence are ever on the side of progress and improvement, and he is working
along the line of modern city building, looking beyond the exigencies of the moment
to the opportunities and possibilities of the future.
J. B. JEWKES.
J. B. Jewkes, filling the position of county clerk of Emery county at Castle Dale
and making his home at Orangeville, was born in the latter town on the 9th of Sep-
tember, 1888. He is a son of Joseph H. and Lorana (Scoville) Jewkes. The father was
born at Fountain Green, Utah, while the mother is a native of Mount Pleasant, this
state. They were married at Manti in July, 1886, and the father, a miller by trade,
was the builder of the first mill at Fountain Green. He became a pioneer settler of
Emery county, where he arrived prior to his marriage, and he also built the first flour
mill in Emery county. Subsequently he took up the business of farming and stock
raising and still makes his home at Orangeville, where he is likewise active in the
work of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, being now bishop's counselor.
J. B. Jewkes pursued his early education in the common schools of Orangeville
and afterward spent two years as a student in the Emery Stake Academy. His youth-
ful experiences were those of the farm-bred boy and he early became familiar with
the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. Soon after pursuing his
course at the academy he was appointed deputy county treasurer, which office he filled
for four years, and later was appointed deputy county clerk, in which capacity he also
served for an equal period. In the fall of 1918 he was elected county clerk of Emery
county and is occupying that position at the present time, with offices in the courthouse
at Castle Dale.
On the 3d of November, 1909, in Salt Lake City, Mr. Jewkes was married to Miss
Avis Fern Jackson, a daughter of Thomas and Jane (Shaw) Jackson. Her father was
born in a wagon near Salt Lake City while his parents were crossing the plains. Both
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Jackson were pioneers of Utah and were numbered among the
earliest settlers of Sevier county and afterward of Emery county. They lived for a
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 709
time at Perron and are now residing at Venice in Sevier county. To Mr. and Mrs.
Jewkes have been born six children: Delma, Lamar J., Elsworth T., Movell, Mont Kale
and Jackson O.
In religious faith Mr. Jewkes is connected with the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints and is secretary of the Elders' Quorum. His political endorsement
is given to the democratic party and he is one of the earnest workers in its local
ranks, doing all in his power to promote the growth and insure the success of the
party. He has proven a capable official in the various positions to which he has been
called and is now rendering valuable service in the position of county clerk, discharg-
ing his duties systematically and accurately.
JAMES CAMERON SCHULTZ.
The development of the rich mineral resources of Utah has called for the most
careful organization of the business, with the employment of men competent to
handle heavy responsibilities and control important activities in this connec-
tion. The very name of Carbon county is indicative of the chief source of its
business activity and its revenues. Mine after mine has been opened and profitably
worked and a constant stream of coal is being sent over the rails to various sections
of the country. With this industry James Cameron Schultz is connected as pay-
master for the United States Fuel Company, his headquarters and his home being
He was born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, December 14, 1882, a son of Harry
and Isabelle (Cameron) Schultz, who were also natives of Pennsylvania and came to
Utah in 1892, settling at Castlegate. The father was chief clerk with the Pleasant
Valley Coal Company until 1900 and became one of the promoters of the Mining Supply
Company at Tintic. This company was burned out and he then became associated with
the Keith-O'Brien Company in 1902, but later sold his interest in that business
and accepted the position of cashier with the Salt Lake Tribune. He passed away in
Salt Lake in 1911 and is still survived by Mrs. Schultz, who is now living in Cali-
James C. Schultz obtained his education in the common schools of Castlegate and
Salt Lake City and in the Collegiate high school, which he attended in 1900. He also
pursued a commercial course in the Salt Lake Business College, studying stenography
and typewriting. He began work with the Utah Fuel Company under E. L. Carpenter
as general sales agent and after two years entered the employ of the Varton Con-
solidated Mining Company in Oregon, where he remained for a year. In 1902 he was
sent to New York by a commission company to obtain investment experience, was
also at Philadelphia for a few months and for a brief period in Washington, D. C.
He then went to Austen, West Virginia, where he became connected with the Austen
Coal & Coke Company, occupying that position for five years. In 1908 he returned
to Park City, Utah, and was with the Grasseli Chemical Company as an office man
for five years. In 1912 he came to Hiawatha and now fills the responsible position of
paymaster for all of the properties of the United States Fuel Company. He has become
a stockholder in the Utah-Idaho Motor Company of Price, in the Carbon County Bank
of Price and in the Silver King Consolidated Company.
At Austen, West Virginia, on the 24th of January, 1906, Mr. Schultz was married
to Miss Barbara Steel, a daughter of Andrew and Margaret (Stuart) Steel, who
are natives of Scotland and became residents of Austen in 1879. The father is an
engineer and coal miner, and both parents are still living in West Virginia. Mr. and
Mrs. Schultz have become the parents of three children: Isabelle, who was born in
Austen, West Virginia, February 7, 1907; Andrew, who was born in Park City, Utah,
July 7, 1909; and James Cameron, Jr., whose birth occurred in Park City on the 24th
of September, 1912.
In his political views Mr. Schultz is a republican and at present is a school'
trustee of Carbon county and also the city treasurer of Hiawatha. He is always loyal
to the welfare and best interests of the town in which he makes his home, and in
community affairs is actuated by a public-spirited citizenship. He is the manager
of the Hiawatha Theater, which is very largely attended, and through that medium
gives to the town the best possible attractions. In lodge circles he is well known, be-
710 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
longing to Park City Lodge, No. 7, A. F. & A. M.; to Price Chapter, R. A. M.; and to the
consistory at Salt Lake, in which he has attained the thirty-second degree of the
Scottish Rite. He also belongs to Moose Lodge, No. 1229, at Hiawatha. He is a loyal
follower of the teachings and purposes of these organizations and exemplifies in his
life the beneficent spirit of the Masonic order, which is based upon a recognition of
the brotherhood of mankind and the obligations thereby imposed.
Lorenzo Petersen is a ranchman living at Hyde Park, who has been closely iden-
tified with the development and upbuilding of that region in various ways. He was
born at Plain City, Utah, October 26, 1862, and acquired his education in the public
schools of Hyde Park. His life experiences have been broad and varied. When a lad
of but eleven years he commenced driving two yoke of oxen to a plow in railroad
construction on the Utah Northern Railroad and was thus engaged for three years,
after which he followed ranching for a period of seven years and contracted with
others in railroad construction work through Idaho and Montana. His life has al-
ways been one of diligence and industry and after ceasing his railroad work he en-
gaged in farming and has since been identified with the agricultural development of
his section of the state. His labors have brought splendid results, as his fields have
been highly cultivated, producing rich crops. Year after year he has made his 'work
count as a substantial factor in the attainment of success and is now one of the men
of affluence in his community. Aside from farming he is a director of the Farmers
& Merchants Bank of Logan and an important work that has claimed his attention
has been the development of the irrigation interests. He was instrumental in put-
ting in the water system at Hyde Park, working untiringly for the project for more
than two years.
On the 14th of December, 1882, Mr. Petersen was married to Miss Eliza Balls, a
daughter of John and Sarah (Baxter) Balls, who were natives of England and came
to Utah in 1868, settling at Hyde Park, where the father engaged in farming. Six
children were born of this union: Eliza Ettie, now the wife of Willard Ballam; Lael
L.; Silvin; Maud, now the wife of John C. Hyer, La Phene; and Collos Shade.
Mr. Petersen has remained an active worker in the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints and since March, 1893, has been bishop's counselor. He also spent
two years in the Logan temple and has been Sunday school teacher and superin-
tendent for more than eleven years. At the same time he has manifested a helpful
interest in public affairs and several times has filled the office of road supervisor. He
stands for everything that means progress and upbuilding in the community and the
worth of his work is widely acknowledged by all who know him.
FREDERICK WEBSTER STRONG.
Frederick Webster Strong, manager of the Times Independent, published at Moab,
is a native of Auburn, New York, born September 15, 1883. His parents, E. M. and
Anna E. Strong, are also natives of the Empire state. The father followed merchandis-
ing at Scranton, Pennsylvania, for a considerable period and later had interests in
coal properties in Alaska and in steamship lines operating from Cape Nome under the
name of the Princeton Corwin Trading Company, the ships plying between Cape Nome
and Seattle. His business interests finally took him to the Pacific coast, and his
family now resides at Los Angeles, California, while he conducts business interests
both at Los Angeles and at Seattle. He has been very successful as the years have
passed, his interests contributing in large measure to the development of commercial
interests on the Pacific coast and in Alaska.
Frederick W. Strong acquired a common school education in Scranton, Pennsyl-
vania, and afterward was connected with the wholesale meat trade in Utica, New
York. At a still later period he conducted a clothing store in Scranton, Pennsylvania,
and in 1906 he made his way to Los Angeles, but in the same year he went to Ely,
Nevada, where he was connected with the Giron Consolidated Mining Company. In
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 713
1907 he disposed of his interests at Ely and turned his attention to placer mining
in the Caribou mountains of Idaho. In 1909 he became associated with the forestry
service of the government at Idaho Falls and was transferred to Moab in 1910, con-
tinuing actively in the employ of the government until 1917. He then became one of
the organizers of the Independent Publishing Company and was made editor and man-
ager of the Independent. In 1919, with three others, he purchased the plant of the
Grand Valley Times and the Independent corporation and established the Times Inde-
pendent, of which paper he has since been the manager. He is thus becoming well
known as a representative of journalistic interests in his section of the state and is
giving to the public a most interesting and progressive paper. He also has stock in
the Utah Eastern Company, is the secretary and treasurer of the Valley City Reservoir
Company, is a stockholder in the Moab State Bank through the Utah Eastern Company,
also in the Moab Cooperative Store and in the Western Allies Oil & Gas Company.
At Idaho Falls, Idaho, on the 28th of February, 1909, Mr. Strong was married to
Miss Gertrude C. Tuhy, a daughter of Martin and Gertrude Tuhy. Her father was in
the railroad business in Michigan but both parents are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs.
Strong have two children: Fred W., Jr., who was born in Moab in 1911; and Ann,
born in Moab, August 17, 1918.
Fraternally Mr. Strong is connected with the Woodmen of the World. His political
allegiance is given to the republican party, and at present he is serving as a member
of the town council of Moab. Fully recognizing the opportunities in connection with
the upbuilding of the great Inland empire, he is bearing his full part in the develop-
ment of the city which he has chosen as his place of residence and in support of all
those activities which have to do with the welfare of the county and state.
J. M. REDD, JR.
J. M. Redd, Jr., superintendent of the Monticello Cooperative Company, was born
at New Harmony, Utah, July 7, 1886, his parents being J. M. and Drucenda A. (Pace)
Redd. They, too, are natives of New Harmony and the father's parents were among the
pioneer settlers of the state. His mother belonged to the Butler family. In his volume
entitled Missouri Persecutions, B. H. Roberts especially mentions Mr. Butler. J. M.
Redd, Sr., was one of the first single young men to come to Utah with the original
party. He drove the cattle for the company that pioneered the way to San Juan
county. They had to blast their way into this district and were longer in covering
the distance of three hundred miles than the original 1847 band was in covering the
entire thousand miles of their journey from the Mississippi to Utah. The pioneers of
San Juan county were eight months in making the trip. One bluff had to be blasted
through, leaving what is known as the Hole in the Rock across the Colorado river.
They made their way first through the Escalante desert and settled at Bluff in 1881.
After the first year Mr. Redd went back to Washington county, where he married,
and later he returned to San Juan county, bringing cattle with him to his new
home at Bluff. He became one of the prominent stockmen of that section of the
state, managing large herds of cattle for years. From Bluff he removed to Monticello
in 1905, again entering a most primitive district in which the work of progress and
improvement seemed scarcely begun. Both he and his wife are now residents of
Monticello and have seen marked changes in the conditions that surround them as
the work of upbuilding has been carried steadily forward. Mr. Redd filled a mission
to southern states of twenty-eight months, going in 1899.
J. M. Redd, Jr., after mastering the branches of learning taught in the common
schools of Bluff, pursued a three years' commercial course in the Brigham "frmng
University at Provo. In his earlier life' he worked with his father at farming and
stock raising and is still associated with his father and brother John in interests
of that character. He was appointed secretary and treasurer for the Monticello Co-
operative Company and held that position for five years, while during the past three
years he has been the manager. He is likewise a stockholder in the Monticello State
Bank and he is interested in the Blue Mountain Irrigation Company, which has light
and water systems. The water is condensed into smaller pipes after it leaves the
reservoir and by this unique process is secured the light and power to run the grist
mill. Mr. Redd is also interested in the Cooperative Mercantile Company, the largest
714 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
stock company south of Price. In a word he is a most sagacious and enterprising
young business man who readily recognizes and utilizes opportunities, and as the result
of his industry and intelligently directed effort he has made for himself a most cred-
itable position in both commercial and agricultural circles.
On the 3d of January, 1914, in Salt Lake City, Mr. Redd was married to Miss
Anna C. Prince, a daughter of William and Louisa (Lee) Prince. Her father came to
Utah with his parents in pioneer days and is now living at Panguitch, where he is
handling cattle and sheep in connection with his farming interests. Mr. and Mrs. Redd
have two children: Shirley, who was born at Mbnticello, September 29, 1916; Venice
Marne, whose birth occurred at Monticello on the 8th of November, 1918.
In his political views Mr. Redd is a stalwart republican, thoroughly informed con-
cerning the questions and issues of the day, and for two years he has been state
committeeman of the republican party for San Juan county. His religious faith is
that of the Mormon church and he filled a mission of twenty eight months in the
central states, leaving Utah in June, 1906. He spent eleven months in the mission
field and assisted B. F. Cunxmings in the publication of the Liahona at Indiana, Missouri.
He has been active in various departments of the church and continues his work in
the church at the present time.
HENRY WEBSTER EPSLIN.
Henry Webster Esplin has long been identified with farming and stock raising
interests and is still actively engaged in this business in Kane county. He makes
his home at Orderville and he has become identified as well with business affairs in
various sections, his sound judgment directing his investments. He was born at
Nephi, Utah, October 20, 1854, his parents being John and Margaret (Webster) Esplin.
The father, a native of Scotland, came to Utah in 1852, settling at Cottonwood, where
he married Margrett Webster, a native of England. Soon afterward he removed to
Nephi and in 1868 was called to settle the Muddy at St. Joseph. Owing to the high
taxes in Nevada he was released, after which, with a large party he made his way to
Long Valley, settling at Mount Carmel, where he took up his abode in 1871. He
joined -the order at Orderville. He passed away in 1895, at the age of sixty-five years,
the mother surviving him for several years.
Henry Webster Esplin was a public school pupil at Nephi and accompanied his
father on all his various removals. He worked in the order until 1885, when the
business was settled up. With his father and brothers Henry W. Esplin carried on
stock raising for a number of years. They handled sheep and cattle and also engaged in
farming, but they, too, later divided their interests, each continuing independently.
Mr. Esplin of this review has given his attention largely to farming and sheep rais-
ing. He has a good home and orchard and all the stock he can conveniently handle,
and his busines interests have been most wisely and carefully directed. He is also
a stockholder in the Orderville Cooperative Company, in the Bank of Southern Utah
at Cedar City, in a woolen factory at Beaver and in the Western Live Stock & Loan
At Salt Lake City, November 3, 1873, Mr. Esplin was married to Philena Cox,
daughter of Orval S. and Mary (Allen) Cox, who came to Utah in the early days. The
father followed farming at Manti and was also on the Muddy. He afterward removed
to Orderville. He was a veteran of the Black Hawk war and both he and his wife
are now deceased. For his second wife Mr. Esplin chose Kezia A. Carroll, daughter of
Charles N. and Keziah (Giles) Carroll. Mr. Esplin is the father of twenty-four chil-
dren, of whom the following born of the first marriage are living: Henry C., Mary,
Edgar C., Alma, Arietta, Eleanor P., Cora and Thomas. One son of this marriage,
William C., died while on a mission in California. The children of the second mar-
riage who are living are Sarah, Margaret, Keziah, Homer, Emily, Geneva, Charles
H., Evelyn, Bessie, Lucy, Verda and Lena.
In his political views Mr. Esplin is a republican. He has filled the office of
county commissioner for six years and he has been president of the Orderville Irriga-
tion Company and of the Orderville Water Company. He served on the board of
the order in different positions for twelve years and later he was counselor to the bishop
at Orderville. He was then ordained bishop by Erastus Snow and served for twenty-
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 715
six years, at the end of which time he resigned. He has always been a faithful
follower of the church, has reared his family in that faith and has three sons who
have filled missions Henry C., in Indiana for two years, Homer in Germany and
Edgar in the southern states.
H. W. BALSLEY.
H. W. Balsley, who since February, 1919, has been cashier of the Moab State
Bank, was born in Connellsville, Pennsylvania, December 7, 1886, a son of Lewis H. and
Laura A. (Adams) Balsley. After acquiring a high school education he pursued an
International Correspondence business course. He came to Utah in December, 1908, and
was in the government employ as forest clerk, forest ranger for nine years. He then
entered the Moab State Bank as assistant cashier in May, 1918, and his capability won
him promotion to the position of cashier in February, 1919. In addition to faithfully dis-