several years. He has also been a director and water master for several years and
is serving in the latter position at the present time. Remaining an active worker in
the church, he filled a mission in the southern states from 1895 until 1897, and he is
now a high priest, having been ordained on the 10th of May, 1914. His has been an
active and useful career, and remaining throughout his life a resident of Hyde Park,
he has contributed in large measure to its progress and development along material,
social and moral lines.
STANTON B. GOTHARD, D. D. S.
Dr. Stanton B. Gothard, successfully practicing dentistry at Murray, was born
February 15, 1878, in Atlantic, Iowa, a son of Enoch and Amelia (Brooks) Gothard,
representatives of an old American family whose ancestors came from Switzerland
in the latter part of the eighteenth century and settled in Pennsylvania. Later a re-
moval was made to Canada, .where the great-grandfather of Dr. Gothard married a
full-blooded squaw. The Gothards in Switzerland were among the early manufac-
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 757
turers of Swiss watches. Enoch Gothard turned his attention to the practice ; of den-
tistry, thus following in the footsteps of his father and engaging in the profession to
which many representatives of the Gothard family have devoted their energies He
wedded Amelia Brooks, who is of French, English and Pennsylvania Dutch descent
and who belongs to a family that has furnished many representatives to the medical
profession. Her father was one of the pioneer physicians at Prairie du Chien, Wis-
consin, and various other members of the family engaged in medical practice in dif-
ferent sections of the country. Dr. Enoch Gothard spent his last days at Pemberton,
Washington, where he had maintained dental offices for some time, and the mother is
still living there. A daughter also survives Mabel, now the wife of Robert Lovett,
of Atlantic, Iowa. There was also a son younger than Stanton B. who passed away at
the age of twenty-four years.
Stanton B. Gothard attended high school, from which he was graduated, and after-
ward pursued a dental course in the State University of Iowa and in the Omaha
(Neb.) Dental College. For three years he maintained a dental office at South Omaha
and for two years at Omaha, after which he spent eight years as an itinerant den-
tist, working in various dental parlors from coast to coast in many different states.
In 1909 he took up his abode at Murray, where he opened an office and has since been
continuously engaged in the practice of his chosen profession.
In 1899 Dr. Gothard was married to Miss Anna Swanson, of Omaha, and they have
become the parents of two children, Eleanor and Mirna. Dr. Gothard belongs to the
Woodmen of the World, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Yeomen of America.
He votes with the republican party and is a loyal follower of its principles because of
his belief in their efficacy as factors in good government. He does not seek nor de-
sire office, however, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his professional duties,
which are growing in volume and importance.
J. W. W. FITZGERALD.
J. W. W. Fitzgerald, one of the most prominent and successful farmers of Salt
Lake county, was born at Draper, this county, June 19, 1857, his parents being Perry
and Agnes (Wadsworth) Fitzgerald. The father was born in Fayette, Seneca county,
New York, December 22, 1815, and belonged to one of the old American families that
was represented in the Revolutionary war and also in the war of 1812. Removing to
Ohio, Perry Fitzgerald homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land where the
city of Vermilion now stands. Becoming a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints, he suffered all of the persecutions inflicted upon the people' of his
faith in Ohio and Illinois and finally came to Utah with the Brigham Young company,
which reached the site of Salt Lake City on the 24th of July, 1847. He was a very
active churchman and organized the second Sunday school in Utah, at Draper. His
business activity was directed to farming and he became a prominent representative
of the agricultural interests of his section of the state. He first wedded Mary Ann
Cosot, who became his wife in Illinois, and they had a family of five children. She
passed away in April, 1851. For his second wife Mr. Fitzgerald chose Mary Ann
Wilson and they had four children. His third wife was Agnes Wadsworth, mother
of J. W. W. Fitzgerald. Her father was born in Manchester, England, July 29, 1836,
and died March 23, 1902. He also was a prominent churchman and a prosperous
farmer and stockman. Coming to Utah, he settled first at Millcreek and afterward
resided at Draper. At one time he was the owner of Pioneer Square in Salt Lake
City. J. W. W. Fitzgerald was the thirteenth in order of birth in a family of thirteen
children born to Perry and Agnes (Wadsworth) Fitzgerald, all of whom are living
with the exception of an older sister, who passed away in 1914 at the age of sixty years.
J. W. W. Fitzgerald was reared upon his father's farm and supplemented his early
education by two years' study at Lindquist College in Logan and a year in the Uni-
versity of Utah, in which he pursued the scientific course. At the age of sixteen he
taught in the public schools of Salt Lake county and for several years followed that
profession. He then took up farming and stock raising, and his close application, his
sound business judgment and keen discernment have been salient features in the
attainment of his success, for he is today one of the largest landowners and most
prosperous farmers of Salt Lake county. He is recognized as a forceful and resource-
758 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
ful man who has not confined his efforts to a single line, for various lines of business
have profited by his cooperation. He is active in banking circles, having assisted in
organizing banks at Midvale and Sandy. He was president of the Midvale Bank and
is now a director of the Sandy State Bank. He has otherwise been identified with
important business enterprises of Salt Lake county, including mercantile interests
and canning companies, and he is the president of the East Jordan Canal Company,
thus becoming identified with the irrigation development of the state. Upon his home
farm he has a large brick residence and extensive barns, and in fact all of the equip-
ment of the model farm of the twentieth century is found upon his place. There
he is extensively engaged in raising sheep and cattle, and his additional mining, bank-
ing and irrigation interests make him one of the foremost business men of his section
of the state.
In 1882 Mr. Fitzgerald was married to Miss Leah J. Day, who was born and
reared at Draper, a daughter of Henry and Leah (Rawlins) Day. Her father was born
in England and in 1850 came to Utah, where he was a very active churchman. He
also assisted in promoting material development, especially along irrigation lines,
doing splendid work in that way in an early day. Mr. and Mrs. Fitzgerald have be-
come the parents of nine children, of whom six are living: Walter D., who is engaged
in the real estate and insurance business at Richfield; Leah Alta, the wife of William
R. Andrus; Henry B. ; Prentis; Agnes Elizabeth, the wife of Stanley Rasmussen;
and Pearl O., the wife of S. L. Jensen. Prentis served with the United States army
in France for ten months after being trained at Camp Kearney, California, having
enlisted October "4, 1917. He was discharged April 29, 1919, after doing splendid
service with the Fortieth Division at Verdun and other sectors of the French battle line.
Mr. Fitzgerald has remained an active worker in the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints. From 1899 until 1901 he was on a mission to the northern states
and was president of the Northern Illinois conference and of the Chicago branch.
He spent six months on a mission in Los Angeles, California, in 1914 and was president
of the conference there. For thirteen years he was in the stake presidency of the
Jordan stake and is now a high priest. His has indeed been an active and useful
life, contributing in notable measure to all the worth while things of life, and he is
accounted one of the foremost residents of Salt Lake county.
Ezekiel Johnson is the owner of four hundred acres of valuable land near Bland-
ing, where he has resided since 1906, and through the intervening period he has been
actively engaged in general farming and stock raising. He was born at Bellview,
Kane county, Utah, April 16, 1869, a son of Joel H. and Margaret (Threlkeld) John-
son. The father, a native of Massachusetts, was born in 1802 and the mother's birth
occurred in England. Joel H. Johnson was a partner of Joseph Smith in the lumber
business in Illinois and in 1848 came to Utah, where he assisted in -colonizing thirteen
settlements. He followed farming and the nursery business as the years passed on,
was also prominent in politics and was an ardent and zealous worker in behalf of
the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Ezekiel Johnson, when his school days were over, began ranging cattle as a boy
of thirteen years. He rode the range in the employ of several firms and when twenty-
one years of age went to Arizona, where he spent three years with stock. He then
removed to San Juan county, Utah, settling at Bluff, where he followed placer mining
for four years and then entered the stock raising business on his own account. In
1906 he removed to Blanding, where he secured a homestead and desert entry, ob-
taining four hundred acres of land which is now valuable and productive. His farm
is well stocked with high grade cattle and his place presents a most neat and thrifty
appearance, indicative of his careful supervision and practical methods. He is also
interested in merchandising and his business enterprise makes him a valued resident
of his community.
At Salt Lake City, on the 9th of October, 1900, Mr. Johnson was married to Miss
Annetta Jones, who was born, November 8, 1875, a daughter of Bishop and Trena
(Nielson) Jones. Her father was a pioneer of Utah who came with one of the hand-
cart companies. He was prominent in different localities, as he assisted in settling
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 759
many places in Utah, and since 1880 he has resided at Bluff, where for the past twenty-
six years he has filled the office of bishop. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are the parents of
six children: Lucile, who was born January 15, 1903; Ezekiel, Jr., whose birth oc-
curred September 3, 1906; Cora, whose natal day was May 1, 1908; Maggie, born May
16, 1911; Katherine, born August 2, 1913; and Mamie, who was born on the 5th of
Mr. Johnson is an adherent of the Mormon faith and has served as stake super-
intendent of Sunday schools and is a member of the stake high council. His political
endorsement is given to the republican party and he has served as deputy sheriff, while
at the present writing he is a member of the town board of Blanding and is keenly
interested in all community affairs, lending active aid and cooperation to projects
which look to the further development and upbuilding of the section in which he lives.
JAMES T. STONES.
James T. Stones, assistant foreman of the mines at Rains Spring Canyon, was
born at Almy, Wyoming, December 20, 1873, a son of John and Catherine (Nichols)
Stones, who were natives of England and in 1858 emigrated to Utah, crossing the
plains in a handcart company. They settled at Coalville and a number of years later
removed to Almy, Wyoming, while for a time they were at Santaquin, Utah, but soon
afterward returned to Almy. Later they settled permanently at Coalville, Utah, their
James T. Stones obtained a common school education at Coalville and when but
eleven years of age began work in the coal mines, being employed at various periods
in several coal mines of Utah, Colorado and Wyoming. For the past three and a
half years he has remained at Rains Spring Canyon as assistant foreman and is well
qualified for the position which he is filling. He is ambitious, energetic and reliable
and is making an excellent record in mining circles.
On the 23d of July, 1895, Mr. Stones was married to Miss Hannah E. Spence, who
passed away leaving two children: Edna May, born February 27, 1897, and David E.,
March 27, 1899. On the 4th of June, 1904, Mr. Stones was married at Price to Miss
Janet L. Baird, who was born April 24, 1880, a daughter of Robert and Margaret
(Edlington) Baird, who were natives of Scotland and on coming to the United States
settled at Evanston, Wyoming, in 1877. The father followed coal mining and in 1900
removed to Sunnyside, Utah, where for seventeen years he was employed by the Utah
Fuel Company but is now with the Liberty Fuel Company at Latuda. Mrs. Baird
passed away April 26, 1900. To the second marriage of Mr. Stones has been born one
child, James E., whose birth occurred June 2, 1913. Edna May, the daughter of Mr.
Stones' first marriage, is the wife of Ray Demander and has two children. Her brother;
David E., entered upon military training at Fort Douglas and a month later was trans-
ferred to the medical department at Fort McArthur, California. He was discharged
on the 15th of January, 1919. James T. Stones is a self-made man, having depended
entirely upon his own resources from an early age, and his enterprise and diligence
have brought to him the measure of success which he is now enjoying.
CHARLES FREMONT WINEBRENNER.
In 1912, when the town of Delta was scarcely four years old, there arrived in
that city a man who has since been one of the prominent factors in its growth and
development. This was Charles Fremont Winebrenner, son of Joseph and 'Marion
(Gibson) Winebrenner, both representatives of old American families. The son was
born in Wooster, Ohio, in 1862, and when quite young he accompanied his parents
on their removal to Illinois and his early education was acquired in the public schools
of Decatur, that state. He made his start in business as an employe of a furniture
dealer of Decatur, but, being a stalwart youth keenly interested in arduous sports
and athletics, he soon became an athletic instructor and followed that profession for
a quarter of a century. At length he turned his attention to farming in Oklahoma,
remaining a resident of that state until 1912, when he came to Delta, Utah, and opened
760 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
a real estate office. He now controls some of the choicest property in the growing
town. He is one of the owners of Winmore Place, which is destined to become one
of the most attractive residential districts of Millard county. He also has other pieces
of property in the heart of the city and is conducting his business affairs with a view
not only to his own success but to the further development and substantial improve-
ment of the city.
In 1883 Mr. Winebrenner was married to Miss Matilda Van Carven, of Avoca, Iowa,
who died in 1898, leaving a son, Justice C. Winebrenner, who is now a young business
man of Seattle, Washington.
Mr. Winebrenner is an active member of the Delta Commercial Club and has been
instrumental in securing for the city and in supporting such business interests as
the sugar factory, the Delta Alfalfa Mill and the new National Bank, all of which
are vital forces in the upbuilding of this district. Every public enterprise of worth
'can count on his hearty aid and encouragement, and his efforts in behalf of the town
are tinged with no degree of self-interest. He is thoroughly imbued with the pro
gressive spirit of the west, and his labors are producing results that are most satis-
factory in promoting the public welfare and also in advancing his individual success.
D. A. YARDLEY.
D. A. Yardley, a well known farmer and stockman of Beaver county, his place
being in the vicinity of Beaver, is also identified with other business interests that
are factors in the development and upbuilding of the district. He was born December
6, 1865, his parents being John and Mary (Sheen) Yardley, who were natives of Eng-
land. They arrived in Utah during the pioneer epoch in the history of the state and
settled in Beaver more than sixty years ago. The father was called by the church
to assist in settling several towns before coming to Beaver, where he remained. Here
he followed farming and stock raising on an extensive scale.
D. A. Yardley was a public school pupil of Beaver and thus acquired an educa-
tion which fitted him for life's practical responsibilities and duties. He has followed
farming and stock raising throughout his entire life and was in business with his
brothers, William and James, until 1918, when the partnership was dissolved by mutual
consent. Mr. Yardley is a very practical business man, sagacious and farsighted, and
has been very successful in his undertakings. Aside from his agricultural and stock
raising interests he is a stockholder in the Beaver Woolen Mills and in the Jumbo
Cement & Plaster Works, also in the First National Bank.
At Parowan, Utah, in 1894, Mr. Yardley was married to Miss Emma J. Robinson,
a. daughter of John R. and Emma (Scofield) Robinson, prominent people of Paragonah.
The children of this marriage are: Alvin, who was born March 22, 1897, and was in
military training for six months, when he was discharged; Verda, born April 15, 1899;
Waldo, born May 9, 1902; Ellis, November 6, 1904; Kenneth, January 7, 1909; John R.
and William R., twins, born August 16, 1911; Isabella, born February 22, 1914; and
June, born June 16, 1916.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Mormon church. Mr. Yardley
is accounted one of the progressive citizens of his community, and the careful direc-
tion of his labors has brought to him a substantial measure of prosperity.
CAPTAIN HAMILTON GARDNER.
Captain Hamilton Gardner, the first state commander of the American Legion for
the state of Utah and a well known attorney of Salt Lake City, was born January
4, 1888, in Salt Lake county, a son of James H. and Rhoda (Huffaker) Gardner, who
are mentioned elsewhere in this work. The son, after attending the graded schools
of his native county, became a student in the Brigham Young University at Provo and
later spent three years in missionary work for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-
day Saints in Germany and Austria-Hungary, being a traveling elder from 1907 until
1910. After released from his mission he traveled through Italy, Greece and the Holy
UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD 761
Land, gaining intimate knowledge concerning those countries and acquiring that broad
learning and culture which travel brings.
Returning to Utah, Captain Gardner entered the University of Utah, in which he
pursued a course in the arts and sciences, being graduated in 1913 with the Bachelor
of Arts degree, and during his college days he was president of the student body
and became a member of the Sigma Chi. He then went east to enter Harvard Uni-
versity and on the completion of a law course the LL. B. degree was conferred upon
him. Each year while at Harvard he took part in the class debate and he wrote an
article on the cooperation of Mormons in Utah which was published in the Journal
of Economics of the Harvard University.
On the 15th of April, 1917, Captain Gardner volunteered for service in the United
States army, joining the first regiment of volunteers in the camp of the Presidio of
California. Three months later he was commissioned a first lieutenant and went to
Camp Lewis with the Three Hundred and Forty-sixth Field Artillery, there remaining
until March, 1918, when he was sent to Fort Sill, where he was graduated from the
school of fire and was commissioned captain on the 13th of April, 1918. He left New
York for France on the 18th of July and was on overseas duty until January, 1919,
when he returned to the United States and was discharged from Camp Lewis on
the 8th of February. On the 7th of April, 1919, he was admitted to the Utah bar
and is no"w engaged in practice in Salt Lake City.
In 1914 Captain Gardner was married to Miss Pauline Heringer, a native of St.
Louis and a daughter of T. A. Heringer, now of Salt Lake City.
Captain Gardner is now a member of the Seventy in the church. He is a man
of marked literary and oratorical power and in 1917 wrote a history of Lehi, Utah,
where his father resides and where he was reared. This had a wide circulation in
Lehi and vicinity and won strong commendation from people of the district. Captain
Gardner belongs to the University Club of Salt Lake City and in politics he is an
independent republican. He is keenly interested in all the vital problems and ques-
tions of the day, especially in promoting one hundred per cent Americanism, and he
became an active factor in the organization of the American Legion in the state of
Utah and was honored with election as its first commander.
JOSEPH DANIEL SMITH.
In every relation of life, as husband and father, as citizen, as public official, as
business man, as an officer in the church, Joseph Daniel Smith has measured up to
the highest standards. He was born at Margarelting Tye in Essex county, England,
May 6, 1846, and his life is an example of earnest purpose and clean living. He was
baptized in the Mormon faith when eight years old. From the time he reached his
tenth year he began providing for his own support and at fifteen went to London, where
he was employed until 1866. The money which he thus earned he brought with him
to the land of promise when he was but twenty years of age. He crossed the plains
with an ox team in 1866 as a member of the Daniel Thompson company and ultimately
reached Salt Lake, where he remained, however, for but a few days. .He then started
for Parowan, in southern Utah, intending to settle there. Arriving in Fillmore in the
fall of the same year, he was taken ill and was forced to leave his party, re-
maining in Fillmore. This illness was evidently the act of providence, for upon
his recovery he decided to remain and for more than half a century has been a
leader in Millard county in affairs of both church and state. Since settling here
he has engaged in many vocations, including freighting, merchandising and farm-
ing, and for many years he was manager of the D. R. Stevens Mercantile Company,
while later he conducted a store at Meadow, in Millard county, on his own account.
For fifteen years he was upon the road as a commercial traveler and still occasionally
takes a trip as a representative of the Conklin Glove Company of California. He
was also manager of the Fillmore Milling Company and of the Fillmore Creamery
Company. His business affairs have been of an extensive and varied character, and
in this connection he has proven his resourcefulness and progressiveness.
. It is in his church work, however, that he has mostly won the love, esteem and
high regard of the community that he has done so much to serve. He has devoted
his life largely to the church, has passed through the priesthood and was ordained
762 UTAH SINCE STATEHOOD
a high priest and set aside as bishop of the south ward of Fillmore in June, 1877. Upon
the consolidation of the two wards he became the fourth bishop of Fillmore. He thus
served for nine years and was then called to fill a mission to England, where he
labored for twenty-six months, the last twelve months being presiding officer of the
Irish mission. Upon his return home he was made a patriarch and he has labored as
a member of the high council and as a home missionary.
In civic life Mr. Smith has been called to fill every city and county office. He
was a city councilman for several terms, was mayor one term, county assessor and
county treasurer, and in each position he discharged his duties with marked capability
In 1866 Mr. Smith was married to Miss Mary Ann Frampton, and they became
the parents of the following children yet living: Joseph S., of Fillmore; Charles D.,
of Salt Lake City; and Mrs. Lois Veile and Mrs. John Roley, of Fillmore. The wife and
mother passed away April 7, 1888. In 1880 Mr. Smith had married Miss Adeline Brun-
son, who died March 30, 1919. The living children of that marriage are: Lewis,
a resident of Fillmore; Lorenzo, of Salt Lake; David, who resides at Idaho Falls, Ida-
ho, and is the bishop of one ward of that city; John C., of Salt Lake City; and
Parker, Daniel Z., Addie Victoria and Myrtle, all residents of Fillmore. In October,
1919, Mr. Smith was married to Eliza Jane Stephenson, of Nephi.
Mr. Smith has transferred his quarter section of land northwest of Fillmore to