Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 10 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 10 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Cambridge, and had William Spencer (1637) for his lieutenant. He retained that
office at the organization of the militia in 1644. At the formation of a company in
Middlesex, May 14, 1645, ^c "'^•s placed at the head of it. He commanded the Artillery
Company in 1643, and, while its captain, was sent by the court, with Humfrey Atherton

John Coggan (1638). Authorities: New "John Coggan mar Mrs Martha Winthrop
Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1855, 1856, 1877; Mem. lo: i : 1651."— Siifolk Co. Files.
Hist, of Koston, Vol. L; Hist, of Dorchester; Sav- George Cooke (1638). Authorities:
age's Gen. Diet.; Report of Boston Rec. Com., Paige's Hist, of Cambridge; Hist. Middlesex Co.,
1634-1660. Vol. HL, pp. 174, 177; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Win-
March 4, 1633, "John Coggan, merchant [set throp's Hist, of New Eng.; New Eng. Hist, and
up] the first shop." — Winlhiop's Joiiriuit, Vol. /., Gen. Reg., 1847.



eg HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1638-9

(1638), Edward Johnson (1637) and forty soldiers, to Patuxet, near Providence, in
Rhode Island, to arrest "Samuel Gorton and his company"; which they did, and
brought the prisoners to Boston. Winthrop gives a long detail of the military pomp and
ceremony on their return.

Near the close of 1645 he returned to England, became a colonel in the army of
Parliament, and was " reported to be slain in the wars in Ireland, in 1652."

Suits were instituted by the family for the possession of his property in America, and
Oct. 5, 1652, the County Court empowered "Mr. Henry Dunster [1640] and Mr.
Joseph Cooke [1640] to improve the estate of Col. George Cooke [1638], deceased,
for the good of Mary Cooke, the daughter of said Col. George Cooke [1638], deceased,
and also to dispose of the said Mary Cooke, for her education, as they shall apprehend
may be for her best good."

Col. Cooke (1638) probably resided on the northerly corner of Brighton and Eliot
streets, in Cambridge.

William Cutler (1638), a brother of Richard Cutter (1643), was a resident of
Cambridge in 1636, and was admitted a freeman April 18, 1637. He had a grant of
land in Cambridge in 1648, and owned and occupied the estate at the southwest corner
of Dunster and Winthrop streets. He soon returned to England, and, in 1653, resided
at Newcastle-upon-Tyne ; at which date he empowered Edward Goffe, Elijah Corlett,
and Thomas Sweetman, of Cambridge, and Robert Hale (1644), of Charlestown, to
collect debts due him in New England. He probably died without children, for Richard
Cutter (1643), six days before his own death, deeded, June 10, 1693, to his son William,
a house and lot in Cambridge, describing the premises as " formerly the right and proper
estate of William Cutter [1638], my brother, deceased, and from him descended to me
as my lawful right of inheritance."

Nathaniel Duncan (1638) was the second persoa named in the charter, but did not
sign the roll until 1638. He was one of the early settlers in Dorchester, where he was a
merchant. He appears in the town records as a grantee of land in 1633 and 1637,
selectman of the town from 1635 to 1645, one of the six who first signed the church
covenant with Mr. Mather, was admitted a freeman in 1635, removed to Boston in

1645, and resided on State Street, in the house next to Capt. Keayne's (1637). He
joined ths Old North Church in Boston in 1655, was a vote commissioner in Boston in

1646, and he represented the town for several years in the General Court. He was
lieutenant of the first train-band organized in Dorchester, in 1636, and was afterwards its
captain. He never held any office in the Military Company of the Massachusetts, prob-
ably on account of his advanced age, as he does not appear to have held any position in
the colonial militia when it was reorganized in 1644. Johnson says, " He was learned
in the Latin and French tongues, and a very good accountant ; whereupon he was called
to the place of auditor-general for the country." His son, Nathaniel Duncan, Jr., was
admitted into the Artillery Company in 1642, and his son, Peter Duncan, was admitted
in 1654.

William Cutter (163S). Authorities: Sav- port of Boston Rec. Com., 1634-1660; Hist, of Dor-
age's (len. Diet.; Paige's Hist, of Cambridge. Chester, by Antiq. and Hist. Soc; Records of Mass.

Nathaniel Duncan (1638). Authorities: Bay.
Drake's Hist, of Boston; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Re-



1638-9] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMRANV. 59

At the Quarterly General Court held Sept. r, 1635, appeared the first grand jury of
the country, " who presented above one hundred offences, and, among others, some of
the magistrates." Of this court was Capt. Nathaniel Duncan (1638), from Dorchester.
Capt. Duncan (1638) was also a member of the court which banished Mrs. Hutchinson
in 1637, and disfranchised Capt. Underhill (1637). The same court disarmed her
sympathizers, who were ordered "to deliver their arms at Capt. Keayne's [1637] before
the 30th of November, under penalty of ten pounds for every default."

March 12, 1638, the General Court voted: " Natha Duncan, of Dorchester, is
licensed to sell wine and strong water"; and in 1645 he was elected by that body
auditor-general of the province.

By the following order, it appears that Dorchester did its share in 1664, in fortifying
Castle Island : " 20 of the 3 mo. 1664. It is ordered by a major vote of the town, that
the raters shall make a rate of one hundred pounds towards the fortification of Castle
Island, and providing powder, and shot and other for the great guns ; to be delivered
into the hands of Nathaniel Duncan [1638] and Humfrey Atherton [1638], overseers of
the work, who are to be accountable to the town for the disposing of it."

Capt. Nathaniel Duncan died about 1668.

Philip Eliot (1638), of Roxbury, came to America in April, 1635, in the "Hope-
well." His name is not in the custom-house list, though those of his wife and children
are. They were from Nazing, England, the seat of the family. He was admitted a
freeman May 26, 1636, and was a deacon of the church of which his brother. Rev. John
Eliot, the apostle to the Indians, was pastor. He represented the town in the General
Court for four years, from 1654 to 1657. He resided in Roxbury, west of Stony Brook
and south of Heath Street, having for his nearest neighbors James Astwood (1638) and
Isaac Johnson (1645). Between 1636 and 1640, he is recorded as being the possessor
of three hundred and thirty-three acres of land. The most northerly resident of these
three mentioned, " his house, barn and houselot of three acres on Stony River, east "
was Philip Eliot (1638). He "was a right godly and diligent person, who used to
accompany " his brother. Rev. John, in his work among the Indians. The Rev. John
Eliot left this record concerning his brother Philip (1638) in the records of the "Church
at Roxborough " : " Philip Eliot [1638] he dyed about the 22'' of the 8' month : 57. he
was a man of peace, & very faithful, he was many years in the office of a Deakon w'" he
discharged faithfully, in his latter years he was very lively usefull & active for God, &
his cause. The Lord gave him so much acceptanc in the hearts of the people y' he
dyed under many of the offices of trust y' are usually put upon men of his rank, for
besides his office of a Deakon, he was a Deputy to the Gen. Court, he was a Comissioner
for the govnm' of the town, he was one of the 5 men to order the prudential affairs of
the town ; & he was chosen to be Feofee of the Publick Schoole in Roxbury."

He died Oct. 22, 1657.

Femys (1638). On the oldest list of officers of the Company, as lieutenant

in 1640, appears the name "Capt. Femys." Mr. Whitman adopted the name

Philip Eliot (163S). Authorities: Savage's • ^ Femys (1638). Authorities: Re-
Gen. Diet.; Drake's Hist, of Roxbury, Report of port of Rec. Com., Boston, 1630-1699, p. 52;
Rec. Com., Vol. VL, Roxbury; will in New Eng. .Savage's Gen. Diet. (Vermaos); see will of Alice
Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1854. Fermace, New Eng. Gen. and Hist. Reg., 1S54.



6o



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1638-9



William adding, " He might be one of those who became early discontented and
therefore returned to England."

The pronunciation sounds like Fermase, Fermace, or Formais. Mark Fermace was
of Salem in 1638 ; was admitted to the church there Sept. 22, 1639, and became a free-
man May 13, 1640, when the name is spelled Formais. Savage says, he was probably a
son of widow Alice Vermaes, whose daughter Abigail was admitted to the church in
Salem in 1640, and married Edward Hutchinson (1638) after being the widow of
Robert Button, of Boston. Alice, then of Boston, died Feb. 9, 1655-6, and Edward
Hutchinson (1638) was named her executor; but Mark is not mentioned, nor her other
son, Benjamin, implying they had previously died. Her name as attached to her will is
Alice Fermace. Mark Fermace being a brother-in-law of Edward Hutchinson (1638),
who was very active in the affairs of the Company, gives much probability to the suppo-
sition that Capt. Femys was really Mark Fermace.

William French (1638), of Cambridge, came from England with Col. George Cooke
(1638) and Joseph Cooke (1640), both of whom settled in Cambridge. On the roll
of the Company it is simply, " Lieut. French." Whitman decided it meant " Lieut.
(Thomas) French (Jr)." Thomas French, Jr., was not made a freeman until 1674,
was never a member of the First Church, nor is anything given of him except that he
was in Ipswich in 1638. The sketch of Lieut. Thomas French, Jr., given in Whitman's
History of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company, edition of 1842, is an outline
of Thomas French, of Boston, who moved to Ipswich in 1639, and died there that year,
therefore could not have been ensign of the Company in 1650. Neither Thomas, Jr., of
Ipswich, nor Thomas of Boston is found to have been in military service.

Lieut. French of the Artillery Company is probably the William French (1638) of
Cambridge, who came to America with the two Cookes (1638 and 1640), who settled
in the same town with them, and .was a military man. He was a tailor, and, having
arrived in 1635, became a freeman March 3, 1636, on the same day as his two friends
above mentioned. He became a lieutenant in the military company at Cambridge, and
resided on the westerly side of Dunster Street, about midway between Harvard Square
and Mount Auburn Street. He bought that estate in 1639, and sold it to William Barrett,
June 10, 1656. About 1653, he removed to Billerica, and was the first representative
from that town, 1660 and 1663. He wrote a tract, entitled, " Strength out of Weakness,"
written in the interest of the instruction of Indians. It was published in London in 1652.
He died, when holding the office of captain of an artillery company in Billerica, Nov.
20, 1681, aged seventy-eight years. He was junior sergeant of the Artillery Company in
1643, first sergeant in 1646, and its ensign in 1650.

John Gore (1638), of Roxbury in 1635, became a freeman April 18, 1637. A
correspondent of the Boston Transcript, over date of May 3, 1867, writes : "John Gore
[1638], who fled from the persecutions in England, is said to have been the first of the
name who emigrated to New England. He landed at Boston, and thence took up his
residence at Roxbury. Going over Boston Neck, Mrs. Gore was carried by two men, as

William French (1638I. Authorities : Sav- Family; Drake's Hist, of Roxbury; Report of Rec.

age's Gen. Diet.; Paige's Hist, of Cambridge. Com., Boston, Vol. VI.; New Eng. Hist, and Gen.

John Gore (1638). Authorities: Savage's Reg., 1854, 1877.
Gen. Diet.; W. H. Whitmore's Genealogy of Gore



1638-9] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 6r

the ground was wet and swampy. Arriving at Roxbury, the men stopped with their fair
burden on a small hill, when Mrs. Gore, who was much fatigued, exclaimed, 'This is
Paradise,' and the spot was thenceforth named 'Paradise Hill.'" John Gore (1638)
and wife, Rhoda, had ten children, of whom two were sons, viz., John and Samuel, from
whom Capt. John Gore (1743), Lieut. Stephen Gore (1773). Samuel Gore (1786), and
Lieut. Christopher Gore (181 4), were descended.

John Gore (1638), the emigrant, a farmer, who joined the Artillery Company in
1638, was clerk of the Company in 1655, and he died, June 2, 1657. The old Gore
homestead, described in the book of " Houses and Lands " as containing four acres,
west of Stony River, bounded on the way leading to the landing-place and tide mill,
was on the southwest side of Tremont Street, just beyond the railroad crossing, and
extended to Parker Street. A brick block now covers the site of the Gore house, which
was taken down in 1876. The name is perpetuated by Gore Avenue, which traverses a
part of the original estate.

Samuel Green (1638), of Cambridge, son of Bartholomew, of Cambridge, probably
came over with his father in 1632. He was admitted to be a freeman March 4, 1635,
and became a printer. He was town clerk from 1694 to 1697, and clerk of the writs
from 1652 until a late period, if not to the end of life. He is principally celebrated as a
printer, the conductor of the Cambridge printing-office about half a century, and the
ancestor of a very numerous race of printers. Mr. Green (1638) took charge of the
press in Cambridge about 1649. Isaiah Thomas, in his History of Printing, gives a
catalogue of books published under Mr. Green's (1638) superintendence, among which
were the Indian New Testament, i66r, the Indian Bible, 1663, and a second edition of
the same, six years in press, completed in 1685. He was deeply interested in military
matters. He served as sergeant in the expedition against Gorton, in September, 1643;
was appointed ensign in 1660, lieutenant in 1686, and was commissioned captain in 1689,
when seventy-five years old, which position he seems to have held until his decease.
Before 1638, his father, Bartholomew, had moved to the southwest corner of Ash and
Brattle streets, and Capt. Samuel Green (1638) resided later on the northerly side of
Mount Auburn Street, between Holyoke and Dunster streets. The latter homestead
passed out of the hands of the family in 1707.

Of Capt. Samuel Green (1638), it was stated, in an obituary notice of his son, Bar-
tholomew, printed in the Boston Nnc's-Lcttcr, Jan. 4, 1733, " This Capt. Green was a
commission officer of the military company at Cambridge, who chose him for above sixty
years together ; and he died there, Jan. i, 1701-2, aged eighty-seven, highly esteemed
and beloved both for piety and a martial genius. He took such great delight in the
military exercise, that the arrival of their training days would always raise his joy and
spirit ; and when he was grown so aged that he could not walk, he would be carried out
in his chair into the field, to view and order his company."

Samuel Green (1638). Authorities: Paige's the lirst name of Mr. Green as Richard, but " upon

Hist, of Cambridge; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Isaiah slight information." In the second, he substitutes

Thomas's Hist, of Printing. John therefor. For this latter, though the given

Whitman, in his first edition of the History of name is wanting on the roll, we have substituted

the .\ncient and Honorable Artillery Company, gives Samuel as by far the more probable.



62 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [163S-9

Stephen Greensmith (1638), of Boston, in 1636 was a freeman. He is mentioned
in the town records of Boston, Oct. 17, 1636. At the General Court, "i" mo. 9"', 1636,"
"one Stephen Greensmith, for saying that all the ministers, except A. B. C. (Cotton,
Wheelwright, and, as he thought, Hooker) did teach a covenant of works, was censured
to acknowledge his fault in every church and fined ^40." His sentence also required
sureties in iTioo. In the Addenda of Winthrop, " [1637] 7'^ 25, James Penn and
Edward Bendall [1638], did bind themselves, their heirs and executors, to pay unto the
Treasurer, within three months, ^40, for the fine of Stephen Greensmith [1638]."
Savage observes, " Marks are drawn across this paragraph, but it is evident that it was
designed by the author to express the discharge of the obligation ; for in the margin is
written, 'paid by ;£'20 in wampum and ^^20 by debt to Robert Saltonstall [1638].'"
Whitman observes, " He must have been a man of some note, if we consider his sureties.
He appealed to the King, but the court in all cases disallowed appeals, and he was
committed until sentence be performed. Alas ! how cruel is ecclesiastical bondage !
This man had no money — for he paid his fine by strings of Indian beads, and con-
tracting a debt to the benevolent Saltonstall [1638], who probably lent him or advanced
the remainder to liberate him from prison." Savage says, "Stephen Greensmith [1638]
was more than once prosecuted for freedom of speech."

Samuel Hall (1638), of Ipswich in 1636, was in this country in 1633. Late in the
latter year, he went with Oldham and others on an exploring expedition to the westward,
and having discovered the Connecticut River, or, as it was then called, the "Fresh River,"
returned from the wilderness in January, 1634. He went to England in the latter year,
and returned in the spring of 1635, "aged 25," in the ship "Elizabeth and Ann." After
some years he went home again, and died in 1680 at Langford, near Maldon, Essex
County, England.

John Harrison (1638), originally of Boston, settled in Salisbury in 1640, and returned
to Boston in 1641 or 1642. Gleaner, in the Boston Transcript oi July 31, 1855, informs
us that " the first rope-maker in Boston was John Harrison, A D. 1642." His rope-walk
or " rope-field," ten feet ten inches wide, is now covered by Purchase Street, beginning
at the foot of Summer Street. Thus the range of lots on High Street used to extend to
the water, separated, however, into two parts by Harrison's rope-walk, " or more recently
by Purchase Street. In 1736, it became the property of the town," and, having been
acquired by purchase, was called Purchase Street. Harrison (1638) probably made the
cordage for the "Trial," the first ship built in Boston. He had a monopoly of the rope-
making business until 1662, when John Heyman, of Charlestown, was permitted by the
selectmen to set up posts for making fish-lines only. Mr. Harrison (1638) objected,
appealed to the selectmen, got a decision in his favor, and the permit to Mr. Heyman
was withdrawn. He was admitted a freeman June 2, 1641, and, with his wife, joined the
First Church in February, 1644. Their daughter Ann married John Marion, who joined

Stephen Greensmith (1638). Authorities: necticut November 3 [1633], came now home,

Savage's Edition of Winthrop's Hist, of New Eng.; fiaving lost themselves and endured much misery.

Savage's Gen. Diet. They informed us, that the small-pox was gone as

Samuel Hall (1638). Authorities: Savage's far as any Indian plantation was known to the west,

Gen. Diet.; Winthrop's Hist, of New Eng., Sav- and much people dead of it, by reason whereof

age's Ed.; Felt's Hist, of Ipswich. they could have no trade." — Winthrop's Hist, of

"Hall and the two others, who went to Con- Nno Eng., Vol. I., p. 123.



i63«-9] HONORABLE AKTILLEKY COMPANY. 63

the Artillery Company in i6gi. Richard Gridley (1658) owned the land from P'ort
Hill north to Summer Street, and as Gridley's land lay on three sides of Harrison's lot,
it is probable that Mr. Harrison (1638) purchased his "rope-field" of Richard Gridley
(1658).

Thomas Hawkins (1638), of Dorchester, was a shipwright in London. He had a
grant of land at Charlestown, in 1636, though then living in Dorchester, where he
remained several years. He became a freeman May 22, 1639, and in that year was
deputy for Dorchester. He lived on Rock (now Savin) Hill, near the fort built in 1633,
and where "y"' great guns" were mounted in 1639. He was a large landholder, owning
a piece of ground at Bass Neck, now the southerly part of Harrison Square. His farm
was in that part of Dorchester now Quincy, at the Farm Meadows, and adjoined the
Newbury farm. Hawkins's Brook, a small stream named for him, crosses Columbia
Street. He removed to Boston in 1643, and in 1644 was colleague deputy from Boston,
with Edward Gibbons (1637). He was jointly concerned with Gen Gibbons (1637) in
helping La Tour, and commanded about seventy men, who joined in the expedition under
him as commander-in-chief, in 1643. He would not gratify La Tour by breaking
neutrality and fighting D'Aulnay, but gave his men leave to volunteer, which some did,
and burnt his mill and some standing corn, after which they returned safely to Boston
with his ships, bringing four hundred moose-skins and four hundred beaver-skins.

In 1645, Capt. Hawkins (1638) built at Boston the famous ship "Seafort," of four
hundred tons, "and had set her out," says Winthrop, "with much strength of ordnance
and ornament of carving and painting, etc." He was cast away on the coast of Spain,
but returned to England, and " being employed in a voyage the next year, was cast away
at the same place."

Capt. Thomas Hawkins (1638) was lieutenant of the Artillery Company in 1642 and
1643, and captain in 1644, "being the only instance," says Whitman, "known of the
like in the Company."

He died about 1648. His widow, Mary, married, June 26, 1654, Capt. Robert Fenn,
and Feb. 27, 1662, Henry Shrimpton. His inventory, taken July 26, 1654, speaks of a
house, barn, and one hundred and eighty acres of land in Dorchester, " over the water,"
valued at _;^257 ; house and land at Boston, ,£200 ; one half of ship "Peregrine," in
England, ^75, etc. ; total inventory, ^900. His son Thomas joined the Artillery Com-
pany in 1649. Capt. Thomas Hawkins (1638) bought a lot of Edward Bendall (1638),
upon which the former is supposed to have built the house which became known as the
"Old Ship Tavern," or " Noah's Ark," corner of North and Clark streets, and stood until
i865. Capt. Hawkins's ship-yard, where the "Seafort" was built in 1645, was on the
opposite water front. The Memorial History of Boston says of him : Capt. Hawkins was
" a busy, restless ship-builder, who owned a ship-yard near his house, made many voyages,
was cast away three times, and, at length, as if determined to show that he was not born
to be hanged, lost his life by shipwreck. In the apportionment of his estate, ' his brick

Thomas Hawkins (1638). Authokities: Hawkins's ship (God being pleased to send him

Savage's Edition of Winthrop's Hist ; Hist, of Dor- [Hawkins] to heaven by the way)." His will is

Chester, by Dorchester Antiq. and Hist. Soc; Sav- recorded in Suffolk Records, HI., loi.

age's Gen. Diet.; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., The contract between La Tour and Capt. Ed-

1851, 1854, 1855, 1879; Drake's Landmarks of ward Gibbons (1637) and Cajit. Thomas Hawkins

Boston. (1638), dated June 30, 1643, 's recorded in the

In November, 1648, Winthrop writes his son Suffolk Registry of Deeds,
that " news is received from England by Capt



64 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1638-9

house and lands ' were set out to his widow, from whom indirectly it passed to one John
Viall, or Vyal, by whom it was kept as an inn, or ordinary, as far back as 1655. It was
in a room in this inn that Sir Robert Carr, the royal commissioner, assaulted the con-
stable, and wrote the defiant letter to Gov. Leverett [1639]. The house was built of
English brick, laid in the English bond ; it had deep, projecting jetties, Lutheran attic
windows, and floor timbers of the antique triangular shape ; it was originally two stories
high, but a third story had been added by a later occupant. A large crack in the front
wall was supposed to have been caused by the earthquake of 1663, 'which made all New
England tremble.' "

He had one son, Thomas (1649), and five daughters. Of these latter, Elizabeth was
the second wife of Adam Winthrop (1642), and after his decease she married. May 3,
1654, John Richards (1644) ; Abigail, for her third husband, married, Nov. 28, 1689,
Hon. John Foster, and Hannah married Elisha Hutchinson (1670).

Valentine Hill (1638), of Boston in 1636, a merchant, was admitted to be a free-
man May 13, 1640, and on June 12, 1640, was ordained a deacon of the First, or Boston,
Church. He was a man of great public spirit, and in 1641 was a grantee, with others,
of the Town, or Bendall's, Dock. He was elected selectman of Boston, Dec. 6, 1641, and
served until March 18, 1647. His residence in Boston was on Washington Street,
opposite the present Boston Globe office. He sold it, just prior to his moving to Dover,
to Capt. William Davis (1643). It was probably in a building on this site that the first
number of the Boston Nnvs-Letter was published, April 24, 1704. In 1643, the General



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 10 of 73)