Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 12 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 12 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ister; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company.



1638-9] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 7 1

Thomas Makepeace (1638), of Dorchester, was one of the so-called secoml emi-
gration, which occurred in 1635. Sept. 25, 1637, the selectmen of Boston agreed that
"Mr. Thomas Makepeace [1638] shall have ahouseplott and gardingplace." He located
on Hanover Street, near Court. In 1638, he bought, in the town of Dorchester, a house
and land of John Leavitt, who had moved to Hingham. Mr. Makepeace (1638)
married for his second wife, in 1641, Elizabeth, widow of Oliver Mellows. He was a
man of prominence, and had the prefi.x " Mr." ; but these did not prevent his being
brought before the court (1638), perhaps at the instigation of the clergy. That body
labored and decided, "Mr. Thomas Makepeace [1638], because of his novel disposition,
was informed, we were weary of him, unless he reforme." He was an early friend ' of
free schools, and was one of those citizens of Dorchester who agreed to a direct tax for
the support of a free school in that town. In 1641, he was one of the patentees of
Dover, N. H., and signed the petition to come under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts.
In 1654, he was in the Narraganset expedition against the Indians. At this time he was
about sixty-two years of age.

In 1664, William Stoughton bought the real estate of Thomas Makepeace (1638) in
Dorchester, and the latter took up his residence in Boston. His dwelling-house was
on the corner of Hanover and Elm streets, supposed to be the one John Underhill
(1637) surrendered to Mr. Makepeace (1638) in 1639. His will was dated June 30,
1666, and he died at Boston in January or February, 1666-7, his will being presented
for probate March 8, 1666-7.

Edward Mitchelson (1638), of Cambridge, came to New England in 1635. In
1639, he bought of Major Simon Willard the estate at the southeast corner of Dunster
and Winthrop streets, where he probably resided until Oct. 29, 1650, when he bought the
estate of Major Samuel Shepard (1640), on the southerly side of Harvard Square, extending
from Holyoke Street to Bow Street, which was thenceforth his dwelling-place. In 1637,
he was appointed marshal-general of the colony, which ofifice, similar in many respects
to that of high sheriff, he held through life. The fees and his "stipend" of ten pounds
per year were established by the General Court in November, 1637. Savage states that
" he had the sad office of executing the Quakers."

In April, 1668, a stated salary was fixed, instead of fees : "The Court, on weighty
reasons moving them thereunto, having by their order, this Court, disposed of the annual
recompense of Edward Michelson [1638], Marshal General, to the public use and
advantage, judge it necessary to provide for so ancient a servant of this Court some
comfortable maintenance instead thereof, that so no discouragement may rest upon him,
do therefore order, that the said Marshal General Edward Michelson [1638] shall be
allowed and paid ^^50 per annum out of the Country Treasury, in lieu thereof, by the

Thomas Makepeace (163S). Authorities: Mitchelson, Marshall-general is Buried." — Sm'n//

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg, 1S51, 1861 (will), papers. Vol. II., p. 14.

1876; Hist, of Dorchester, by Dorchester Antiq. and ' Other citizens of Dorchester, members of the

Hist. Soc; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Second Report of Military Company of the Massachusetts, who united

Boston Rec. Com.; Court Records, \'ol. I., p. 240, with others in support of its early school, were

quoted in Savage's Winthrop. Israel Stoughton (1637), Nathaniel Duncan (163S),

Edward Mitchelson (1638). Authorities: Thomas Hawkins (163S), John Ilolnian (1637),

Paige's Hist, of Cambridge; Savage's Gen. Diet. William Blake (1646), William Clarke (1646),

"Mr. Mitchelson held the office of Marshal- Humfrey Atherton{'i638), RogerClap(l646), Hope-
General until 16S1 when he died and was succeeded still Foster (1642), Jeremiah Howchin (1641), Rich-
by his son-in-law John Green." — AVtoro'i 0/ yl/rt«. ard Baker (165S), John Capen (1646), Nicholas
Bay, Vol. /., /. 217. Upshall (1637), Thomas Jones (1643), Richard

"Tuesday, March 8, 16S0-1. Mr Edward Collicott (1637).



72 HISTORY OF THK ANCIENT AND [163S-9

Treasurer for the time being." Mr. Mitchelson (1638) died March 7, 1680-1, aged
seventy-seven years. His daughter, EUzabeth, born Aug. 29, 1646, married Theodore
Atkinson, Jr., son of Theodore Atkinson (1644). Theodore, Jr., a sergeant in Capt.
Davenport's (1639) company at Narragansett, was killed by the Indians in the great fight
of Dec. 19, 1675. His widow, Elizabeth (Mitchelson) Atkinson, married, Nov. 15, 1676,
Capt. Henry Deering (16S2).

John Moore (1638), of Cambridge, was admitted to be a freeman Dec. 8, 1636.
About 1637 he bought of Humphrey Vincent, who had removed to Ipswich, a house and
garden on the southerly side of Winthrop Street, between Dunster and Brighton streets,
together with sundry lots of land. He was a constable in 1639, and owned the above
estate as late as 1642.

Abraham IVIorrill (1638), of Cambridge, in 1632 came, perhaps, in the " Lion," with
his brother Isaac (1638). In 1635, he resided on the westerly side of Brighton Street,
near the spot occupied by the old Porter Tavern. He removed, with the original pro-
prietors, to Salisbury, where, in 1650, only four men were taxed for more thap he. He
probably moved to Salisbury in 1641, as in that year a house-lot was granted him on the
"Green" (East Salisbury). Jan. 25, 1642, sixty acres of land were granted to him and
Henrie Saywood, to build a "corn-mill." No other mill was to be built so long as this
one ground all the corn the people needed. This mill was situated at what is now called
the " Mills," Amesbury. He is believed to have moved from the " Green," and owned
and occupied a house on Bailey's Hill, Amesbury, a most sightly place, taking in the
sinuous Merrimack from Pipe-Stave Hill to Deer Island, while, at its foot, among the
ancient elms, nestle the hamlets of " Point-shore," so called. The cellar of his house is
still visible. He was a blacksmith by trade, and so many of his descendants having
chosen that art, the family has been humorously called " of the Tubal Cain fraterfiity."

He married Sarah Midgett, sister of Thomas Midgett, the ship-builder. By her he
had seven children, at least. In the inventory of his estate are included four guns and
blacksmith's tools.

" The death of Abraham Morrill," Mr. Merrill says, in his History of Amesbury,
" one of the most prominent men of the old town, may with propriety be mentioned
here [1662], as his descendants have largely helped to people the town. He died
previous to Oct. 14, when his will was proved. He was among the first to settle the new
territory, and his house-lot was near the residence now occupied as a parsonage at East
Salisbury."

He died at Roxbury while on a visit to his late brother's home, June 20, 1662. His
estate inventoried ;^507.

Whittier, in his poem to Quaker Morrison, makes the latter say : —

" Ensign Morrill and his son.
See the wonders they have done."

The family of the ancient trainer, Abraham Morrill (1638), through every generation
have been noted for their enterprise, whether in iron, fish, cloth, nails, coasting vessels,

John Moore (1638). Authorities: Paige's Savage's Gen. Diet.; Merrill's Hist, of Amesbury;
Hist, of Cambridge; Savage's Gen. Diet. Paige's Hist, of Cambridge; New Eng. Hist, and

Abraham Morrill (1638). Authorities: Gen. Reg., 1854.



•638-9] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMRANV. 73

farming, or trade. In the business iiistory of Salisbury and Amesbury, the ancient and
honorable soldier of the Artillery Company and his numerous descendants have made a
most noble record.

Isaac Morrill (1638), brother of Abraham (1638), born in 1588, came to America,
with his wife and two daughters, in the "Lion," arriving here Sept. 16, 1632. He
settled in Roxbury, and was admitted to be a freeman March 4, 1633. His homestead
in Roxbury was on the Dorchester road, between Washington and Warren streets. He
was a blacksmith, and Mr. Drake says, "One of his two forges belonged in 1720 to his
great-grandson, Samuel Stevens, the grandfather of Joseph Warren."

Drake, in his History of Roxbury, thus refers to Isaac Morrill, and the Roxbury
train-band : " Among the distinguishing traits of our ancestors was their attention to
military affairs. Arms were a common possession. Those of Isaac Morrill [1638], of
Roxbury, hung up in his parlor, were, a musket, a fowling-piece, three swords, a pike, a
half-pike, a corselet, and two belts of bandoleers. All males between sixteen and sixty
were required to be provided with arms and ammunition. The arms of private soldiers
were pikes, muskets, and swords. The muskets had matchlocks or firelocks, and to each
one there was a pair of bandoleers or pouches for powder and bullets, and a stick called
a ' rest,' for use in taking aim. The pikes were ten feet in length, besides the spear at
the end. For defensive armor, corselets were worn, and coats quilted with cotton.

" The train-band had not less than sixty-four, nor more than two hundred men,
and twice as many musketeers as pikemen, the latter being of superior stature. Its
officers were a captain, lieutenant, ensign, and four sergeants. The commissioned officers
carried swords, partisans or leading staves, and sometimes pistols. The sergeants bore
lialberds. The flag of the colony bore the red cross of St. George in one corner, upon a
white field, the pine-tree, the favorite emblem of New England, being in one corner of
the four spaces formed by the cross. Company trainings were ordered at first every
Saturday, then every month, then eight times a year. ' The training to begin at one of
the clock of the afternoon.' The drum was their only music."

The Auchmuty estate, of fourteen acres, on the old turnpike, and the " fox holes,"
so called, containing twenty-six acres, were parts of the Isaac Morrill (1638) estate.

In the Roxbury Land Records, Sixth Report of the Boston Record Commissioners,
Isaac Morrill's (1638) is the seventh property enumerated, consisting of " hvo houses,
two forges, one barn with out housing and two orchards and a swamp," and ten lots of
land, including "fox holes" and " smithfeild."

According to the Roxbury Church Records, " Isaac Morell [1638] an aged brother,"
died Dec. 21, 1661.

David Offley (1638), of Boston, is mentioned in the town records, June i, 1638,
when he was permitted to buy Samuel Wilbore's house and garden-plot; and again,
Sept. 30, 1639, when Mr. David Offley (1638) was granted "a great Lott at Muddy
River, for 15 heads," implying a very large family. The Boston Book of Possessions
locates his homestead on the south side of Essex Street, the third lot east from Wash-
ington, which extended south to the cove. In 1643, he removed to Plymouth.

Isaac Morrill C1638). Authorities: Savage's Gen. Diet.; 4 Mass. Hist. Coll., Vol. H., p. 119;

Gen. Diet.; Drake's }Iist. of Roxbury; New Eng. Plymouth Colony Records, Vol. IL; Report of

Hist, and Gen. Reg., I S57. Boston Rec. Com., 1634-1660.

David Offley (163S). Authorities: Savage's



74



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1638-9



There is but one reference to Mr. Offley (1638) in the Plymouth Colony Records,
viz. : " Whereas Mr. David Offley did by warrant sumon Thomas Payne, of Yarmouth, to
appeare here to answere to a suite, and had neither entred action against him nor
appoynted any to psecute for him, but onely to vex the said Payne, & put him to
charges, the Court doth order and award the said David Offley to pay the said Thomas
Payne xij« according to the rate of ij" p day for vj dayes."

Abraham Palmer (1638), of Charlestown, a merchant from London, who there
joined the company of the patentees of Massachusetts in 1628, was the last signer
of the instructions sent to Gov. Endicott on the 30th of April, 1629. He gave fifty
pounds to advance the interests of the enterprise, and, in 1629, he himself embarked
for America, probably with Higginson and the Spragues (1638), arriving at Salem in
June, and early in the next July removed with about one hundred other persons,
including Ralph and Richard Sprague (1638), from Salem to Charlestown.

He was one of the founders of the First Church in Charlestown, Aug. 27, 1630
(which became the First ChuTch in Boston), and was admitted to be a freeman May 18,
1 63 1. He was a member of the first assembly of representatives, in 1634, and also of the
next four assemblies. In 1637, during the Pequot War, twelve Charlestown men, under
Sergt. Abraham Palmer (1638), rendered efficient service in Capt. Mason's company,
and, in 1638, he began the compilation of the Charlestown Book of Possessions, which
was printed as the Third Report of the Boston Record Commissioners. His homestead
consisted of "Three Acres of land by estimation, more or less, scituate and lying in the
high feilde, butting to the north and east upon mistick river, . . . with A Dwelling house
and other aptinances thereunto belonging." He also possessed thirteen other pieces of
land. He was town clerk in 1638, and faithfully served his townsmen in civil and
military positions.

Winthrop, under date of June 18, 1636, wrote: "We granted Mr. Palmer [1638],
a demiculverin in exchange for a sacre, of Mr. Walton's, which was ready mounted at
Castle Island, being, by the opinion of Mr. Pierce and some others, better for us than
the demiculverin. We had 100 wt of shot, and some wires and sponges into the
bargain."

In 1652, he sailed in the "Mayflower," of Boston, for Barbadoes, on a business
venture, with Edward Burt. He died there in 1653, and Lieut. Thomas Lathrop (1645)
was appointed administrator of Mr. Palmer's (1638) estate.

William Parke (1638), of Roxbury, eldest son of Robert Parke, of New London,
Conn., in 1649, "whose barn was the first place of worship" in the latter town, came
to America in the "Lion," arriving at Boston in February, 1630. He was one of the
founders of the Roxbury church, in July, 1632, and for many years a deacon ; was repre-
sentative in 1635, and for the thirty-two following years was frequently a selectman,
and held other important trusts, both public and private. Edward Johnson (1637),

Abraham Palmer (1638). Authorities: "William Parke, he came to N. E. in the 12th

New Eng. Hist, anil Gen. Reg., 1853; Savage's month, 1630, a single man, & was one of the first in

Gen. Diet.; FrothinghanVs Hist, of Charlestown. the church at Rocksborough ; he afterwards married

William Parke (1638). Authorities: Sav- Martha Holgrave, the daughter of Ilolgrave

age's Gen. Diet.; Sixth lieport of Boston Rec. of Sale [Salem?]." — /i'<-z/. John Eliofs Record of

Com.; Drake's Hist, of Roxbury. Church Mcfiihcrs.



iC>3S-9] HONORABl.E ARTILLERY COMPANY. 75

in his Wonder-Working Providence, calls him "a man of pregnant understanding very
useful in his place, and one of the first in the church of Roxbury."

He died May ii, 1685, aged seventy-eight years, being, as expressed in his will,
"old and weake of body but of perfect understanding, according to the measure
received." He had no sons, but two daughters, into whose hands, and those of his
grandchildren, his large property passed after his decease. The Weld estate was
originally the property of Deacon William Parke (1638). His property is narrated in
Roxbury I^and Records, the sixth volume of the Report of the Boston Record
Commissioners.

Richard Parker (1638), of Boston, a merchant, was in Boston in August, 1638, but
the date of his arrival is not known. He was admitted to be a freeman June 2, 1641 ;
was allowed to be an inhabitant of Boston Sept. 30, 1639 ; had a grant of " four hundred
acres at the Mount, besides the hundred acres given to the Wharf, Feb. 24, 1639,"
which was afterwards, June 29, 1640, cancelled, and five hundred acres were granted
him " upon Monotacott River, next to Benjamin Keayne's farm." He held several
minor town offices prior to 1651, when he was elected selectman, at the close of which
term of service his name disappears from the records. The Book of Possessions locates
the lot of Richard Parker (1638) as on the water-line west of Sudbury Street.

William Perkins (1638), of Roxbury, son of William and Catherine Perkins, of
London, England, was born Aug. 25, 1607, and came to America in the "William and
Francis," leaving London March 9, 1632. In March, 1633, with the illustrious John
Winthrop, Jr., and eleven others, he began the settlement of Ipswich. He was admitted
a freeman Sept 3, 1634, and in the list of estates of inhabitants in Roxbury, made out
between 1636 and 1640, he is recorded as possessing twenty-five and a half acres of land.
The Perkins farm passed, about 1712, into the possession of Samuel Curtis. The street
north of Jamaica Pond, leadifig to Brookline, called in early times Connecticut Lane, was
named Perkins Street in honor of William Perkins (1638). He married, in Roxbury,
Aug. 30, 1636, Elizabeth Wooten. In 1643, he removed to Weymouth, and was repre-
sentative for that town in 1644. He was early identified with the militia, and became
captain in 1645, about which time he removed probably to Gloucester, as his daughter,
Mary, was born there. May 17, 1652. In naming "the residents, or proprietors of the
soil," in Gloucester, between 1633 and 1650, Richard Eddy, D. D , records a " Capt.
Perkins." He also says, in his sketch of Gloucester, in the History of Essex County,
p. 1305, "A year later [1650], William Perkins removed from Weymouth to Gloucester,
and became the ' teaching elder.' He remained five years, when he removed to Tops-
field." Savage says, " Mr. Perkins preached from 165 1 to 1655, and became the second
minister of Topsfield."

Sidney Perley, in the "History of Essex County, says, "In 1640, he [Mr. William
Perkins] visited his native country, but soon returned, and preached to a small band of
worshippers living in Weymouth. He removed to Gloucester in 1646, and preached
there from 1650 to 1655, when he came to Topsfield. Here, after preaching till 1663,

Richard Parker (1638). Authorities: 566, Art., Ipswich; same, Vol. II., Art., TnpslicUl;

Drake's Ilist. of lioston; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Drake's Hist, of Koxhury,

Boston Records. p. 403; New Eng. Ilist. and Gen. Reg , Vol. X.,

William Perkins (1638). Authorities: pp. 211, 212.
Hist, of Essex Co., by Hamilton ITurd, \n]. I., p.



"je HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1638-9

he spent the remainder of his hfe in the calm pursuits of husbandry. Among the early
settlers of the town, he was probably the most accomplished person. He was a scholar
[but where he was educated does not appear], and a man of business, — a farmer, a
clergyman, a soldier, and a legislator." In 1661 and 1664, when lands "on the south
side of the river," in Topsfield were divided, " nr perkins " or " m'' william perkeings "
is recorded as receiving a share. He died in Topsfield, May 21, 1682, aged seventy-
four years.

Arthur Perry (1638), of Boston in 1638, a tailor, came to America in 1635 or 1636,
and was admitted a freeman May 13, 1640. By wife, Elizabeth, he had six children,
all born in Boston, among whom was Seth, born March 7, 1639, who joined the Artillery
Company in 1662. Arthur Perry (1638) died Oct. 9, 1652.

Arthur Perry (1638), long known as the town drummer, was an important personage
in the embryo city, as in the absence of church bells he called the people to their
meeting-houses for worship on Sundays, and for the lectures on Thursdays. Also, he
proclaimed the laws, gave notice of town meetings, auction sales, the departure of
vessels, and advertised rooms for rent, children lost and found, and new importations
of dry and other goods.

It is in connection with this public duty that he is mentioned several times in the
Records of the Town of Boston, 1634-60. His name is first mentioned in those records
Dec. 10, 1638, when the selectmen, of whom Capt. Robert Keayne (1637) was one,
agreed with Arthur Perry (1638) that he should be allowed, yearly, for his drumming to
the Company upon all occasions, the sum of ^5,' to be paid by the town. Feb. 28,
1641, he was paid ^4 loj'. "for his service in drumming the last yeare," and Sept. 25,
1643, he was paid ^9 for drumming "this last yeare and halfe." He was remunerated
by the town for his continued services July 29, 1644, Dec. 2, 1644, and is mentioned
the last time Sept. 29, 1645, when he was paid ^5 "for last yeares service in drumming,
ending on the last of si.xt month last past, and thirty shillings for drumheads." To guard
against the liability of being without a " drummer," " It is agreed betweene the select
men on the Townes behalfe, and Hugh Williams [1644] and George Clifford:" at a
general town meeting, Nov. 27, 1643, "That Nathaniel Newgate [1646], Apprentize
to the said Hugh Williams [1644] and George Clifford [1644] aforesaid, shall doe all
Comon service in druming for the Towne on trayning dayes and watches. The sayd
George for these three yeares next ensueing, and the said Nathaniel for these foure
yeares next ensueing, in Consideration whereof the Towne will be at the charges of their
learning skill in druming.

"It's further agreed with Arthur Perry [1638] that he shall give his Best diligence
in Teaching the sayd George Clifford [1644] and Nathaniel Newgate [1646] in all the
skill and use of the drum needfull to all common service in /iiilitary Affayres, in consid-
eration whereof he shall have foure pounds payd to him within six mo : next ensuing."

On the 29th of July, 1644, "The Constables of this Towne are appointed to pay
foure pounds ten shillings unto Arthur Perry [1638], part of seaven pounds due to him
for his service in Druming until the first day of the first month last past, and for teaching
the use of the drumme according to agreement made with him on 27 of 9, 1643."

Arthur Perry (1638). Authorities: Savage's ' Mem. Hist, of Boston, Vol. I., p. 510 (note).

Gen. Diet.; Report of Boston Records, 1 634-1 660. says his pay was to be £1 per year.



1638-9] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. ■] J

According to the Records of the Town of Boston, on the 25th of November, 1639,
the town voted: "Our brother Arthure Pury [1638] hath leave to sell his house and
garding to Silvester Saunders " ; and Dec. 30, 1639, he was granted a great lot for se\en
heads at the Mount; also, Feb. 24, 1639-40, the selectmen granted him a " housplott "
in Boston.

His residence was on School Street, nearly opposite the present City Hall, and he
owned other property in the town. He was drummer for the Artillery Company from
1638 to 1651.

Robert Saltonstall (1638), brother of Richard, and second son of Sir Richard, was
born about 16 14, and came to America in 1630, with Gov. Winthrop. He was the
superintendent of his father's interests in this country, and owned large estates in
Connecticut, as well as in Massachusetts. Robert (1638) was at Windsor, Conn., in
1640-2. He pursued the profession of the law, as his name is found as an advocate
in the courts of justice, and at a session of the General Court, " i mo. 1647-48," "Mr.
Robt Saltonstall is fined five pound & is debarred from pleading in other mens causes
in any Corte of justice, except himself have real interest therein." Savage says, " He
allowed Francis Stiles to lead him into great useless expense from which both suffered
inconvenience to their dying day." Robert Saltonstall (163S) was never admitted a
freeman, probably because he was not disposed to conform to the rigid discipline of the
Puritan church. He was energetic and enterprising, active in public matters, as well as
attending to the large interests of his father. He was also a petitioner, in 1641, for
Dover to come under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts. He died unmarried, in July,
1650, and his will, of June 13, was proved Aug. 15 of that year.

Robert Saunders (1638), of Cambridge from 1636 to 1652, removed to Boston,
and then to Dorchester, where he died. Letters of administration on his estate were
granted March 13, 1682-3.

He was admitted to be a freeman May 23, 1639, and lived in Cambridge, on the
southeast corner of Mount Auburn and Dunster streets. He was admitted to be an
inhabitant of Boston May 30, 1653.

In 1661, his name is given in the tax-list of Dorchester, and in 1670-1, March 13,
Robert Saunders (1638) was appointed "to keepe the key of the pound till the Select
men take furder order." In 1677, the selectmen granted him "fower load" of wood,
and his needs in his advanced age were further supplied by the town of Dorchester.

Robert Scott (1638), of Boston, became a member of the First Church Dec. 15,



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 12 of 73)