Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 16 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 16 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Anthony Stoddard (1639). Authorities: committee to officiate as Surveyors Generals of the
New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1851; Report of country's ammunition." — Records of Mass. Bay.
Rec. Com., 1634-1660; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Sav-
age's Edition of Winthrop's Hist, of New Eng.



1639-40] IIUNdKABLE ARTILLERY COMTANY. 97

ernor's warrant to take Francis Hutchinson into custody for freedom of remarks, called
"insolence." He held that office until 1644, and March 18, 1650, was chosen recorder
of the town of Boston, being succeeded in that ofilice by Thomas Savage (1637) on
"16th of ist mo., 1651." He also represented Boston in the General Court in 1650,
1659, >66o, 1666, and for eighteen successive years afterwards.

Nov. 27, 1639, he was granted one hundred acres of land at Mount Wollaston, and
Feb. 31, 1641, he was chosen, with three others, "to Trade with the Indians according
to the Order of the General Court." In 1643, as constable, it became his duty to pay
Arthur Perry (1638) for his services as drummer for the town, also from 1647 to 1652
inclusive. March 9, 1656-7, at a general town meeting, it was ordered that "Capt.
Savage [1637], Mr. Stoddard [1639], Mr. Houchin [1641], and Mr. Ed. Hutchinson,
Sr., are chosen a committee to consider of the modell of the towne house, to bee
built," etc. He was also rate commissioner or assessor in 1661. He died March
16, 1686-7.

Mr. Whitman (1810) relates, concerning Mr. Stoddard's (1639) scruples of 1641,
that he was required to take a person — Francis Hutchinson — into custody at one of
the courts in Boston till the afternoon, "and said withal to the Governor — Sir, I have
come to observe what you did ; that if you should proceed with a brother otherwise
than you ought, I might deal with you in a church way. For this insolent behavior he
was committed, but being dealt with by the elders and others, he came to see his error,
which was, that he did consider that the magistrate ought not to deal with a member
of the church before the church had proceeded with him. So, the next Lord's day, in
the open assembly, he did freely and very affectionately confess his error, and his
contempt of authority : and being bound to appear at the next court, he did the like
there to the satisfaction of all. Yet, for example's sake, he was fined 20 shillings, which,
though some of the magistrates would have it much less, or rather remitted, seeing his
clear repentance and satisfaction in public, left no poison or danger in his example,
nor had the Commonwealth or any person sustained danger by it." '

He was clerk of the Artillery Company in 1642, 1644, 1646, 1648, and was third
sergeant in 1650.

Robert Thompson (1639), of Boston in 1639, was ^ '""^n of wealth and distinction
in London, where, Savage thinks, he married a sister of Gov. Hopkins, of Connecticut.
In 1639, though probably a transient resident in Boston, he bought the old edifice of
the First Church, and the lot on which it stood on State Street, for one hundred and sixty
pounds. He was a strong friend of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay, and for services
rendered this country he was granted five hundred acres of land. In Hutchinson's
Collection are some letters of his which reveal his good disposition and wise judgment.
He and Francis ^Villoughby (1639) were trustees of the famous will of Edward Hopkins.
In 1639-41 he was one of the sureties for seven members of the Company.

Robert Thompson (1639). .VurnoRiriES: ing his fault in his unfitting speech to the Governor,
Savage's Gen. Diet.; Suffoll; Deeds, IIL, 386. in affronting of him, is fined I3it." — KecorJs of

' "7'!' 7mo 1641. Anthony .Stoader, confess- Mass. Buy.



98 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1640-1

Francis Willoughby (1639), of Charlestown, Aug. 22, 1638, called by Hutchinson,
" a gentleman from England," was a son of \Villiam Willoughby, who was " a colonel of
the city" of London. Francis Willoughby (1639) was a native of Kent, and had been
for some time commander of a vessel. He joined the First Church in Charlestown, Oct.
10, 1639, and became a freeman May 13, 1640, from which time till his death he "was
constantly engaged in public service." He was representative from Charlestown in
1642, 1646, and 1649; was chosen assistant in 1650, 1651, and 1664; was elected
deputy governor in 1665, and held that office until his death, April 3, 167 1, when Gen.
John Leverett (1639) succeeded him.

In 1 64 1, he, with others, invested largely in real estate in Charlestown, and built
warehouses and wharves, and "prayed the court" to appoint fixed charges for wharfage,
porterage, and storage. His wharves were on each side of the ferry ways, and his ship-
yard on the site of the Fitchburg Railroad depot, or on Warren Avenue, where, in 1641,
he was engaged in building a ship.

He went to England in 1651, and remained nearly eleven years. In 1652, he was
appointed commissioner of the navy for Portsmouth, and in 1658-9 was a member of the
British Parliament.

In 1662, when it was desired by the General Court of Massachusetts Bay to
congratulate King Charles upon his restoration, a letter was written to Herbert Pelham
(1639), Nehemiah Bourne (1638), Francis Willoughby (1639), and others, in London,
asking them to supply the commissioners, upon their arrival, with such funds as they
might require on account of the colony.

His widow, Margaret, married, Feb. 8, 1675, Capt. Laurence Hammond (i566), of
Charlestown. Francis Willoughby (1639) left a large estate, for those times, being
estimated at over four thousand pounds.

He was ensign of the Artillery Company in 1643. The Artillery Company doubtless
joined in the funeral honors which were paid on the 7th of April to Deputy-Gov. Francis
Willoughby (1639).



^ The officers elected were: Robert Sedgwick (1637), captain;

J Q/IQ" I • Capt. Femys (1638), lieutenant; William Tyng (1638), ensign; senior
' sergeant, Thomas Savage (1637); junior sergeant, Francis Cosen

(1640) ; clerk, John Johnson (1638). Capt. Sedgwick (1637) was one of the founders of
the Artillery Company, very active and useful in its interests. It was believed that he
had been a member of the present organization in London, until, on a careful exami-
nation of its rolls, his name could not be found there. It is probable that Capt. Edward
Johnson (1637) confounded the Artillery Garden with the Military Garden. "These
Nurseries or Academies of Military Science," as they are styled by Lieut.-Col. Alton, a
contemporary writer, were noted as having produced many good officers. " The Military

Francis Willoughby (1639). Authokities: top of his grave plain, only covered with the turfs

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S76, 1S80; Froth- of grass." — Bradstreets Journal.

ingham's Hist, of Charlestown; Wyman's Gene- Eleven foot companies were in attendance at

alogies and Estates of Charlestown, Vol. II.; his funeral, "with the doleful noise of trumpets and

Hurd's Hist. Middlesex Co., Vol. I.; Savage's Gen. drums, in their mourning posture, three thundering

Diet. volleys of shot discharged, answered with the loud

" 1 67 1, April, Mr Francis Willoughby, Deputy roaring of the great guns, rending the heavens with

Cover, of the Massachusetts Colony dyed. He noise at the loss cf so great a man." — A^oadiak

desired to be buried one foot deep and to have ye Adams-



'640-1] IIONORAliLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 99

Garden," he continues, " is famous for the great improvement of divers worthy persons of
quality daily resorting, whose excellent skill in military exercises hath raised many of
them to high preferment here at home and to places of honorable command abroad.
The Captains-in-Chief of these academies are Major General Skippon and Major Henry
Tellier, which latter was the first that ever showed in the Military Garden, (of which I
am a member,) the marching of the souldiers in a regimental way."

The new members recruited in 1 640-1 were : Joseph Cooke, David Courtney, Francis
Cosen, Wentworth Day, Henry Dunster, Daniel Fisher, Joshua Fisher, John Friend, John
Gutteridge, William Hudson, John Humfrey, John Hurd, Thomas Lechford, Lawrence
Litchfield, Henry Looker, Francis Lyall, Thomas Marshall, James Oliver, Ralph Ory,
Henry Phillips, Samuel Shepard, Christopher Stanley, Robert Turner, David Yale.

Joseph Cooke {1640), elder brother of Col. George Cooke (1638), came in the
"Defence" in 1635, aged twenty-seven years. They were from Earl's Colne, in Essex,
and there enjoyed the spiritual teaching of Rev. Thomas Shepard, who came in the same
ship. Joseph (1640) and his brother George (1638) were registered as servants to
Roger Harlakenden. The position was assumed as a disguise to enable them to leave
England more easily. Even their teacher and friend. Rev. Thomas Shepard, embarked
under a fictitious name and character, being styled " John Shepperd, husbandman."

These brothers became prominent citizens. Joseph's residence was on the east side
of Holyoke Street, near Holyoke Place, in Cambridge. Connected with his house were
several acres of land, extending northerly to Mount Auburn Street, and southerly and
easterly to the marsh ; besides which, he owned several other houses and lots. He was
admitted a freeman March 3, 1636, and was selectman of Cambridge from 1635 to 1645,
except two years; town clerk from 1635 to 1641 ; local magistrate from 1648 to 1657,
and representative from 1636 to 1641. He also was a military man, for when his brother
George (1638) had gone to England, "the Court think meet," says the record, "to
desire Mr. Joseph Cooke [1640] to take charge of the Company in the absence of the
Captain, and till the Court shall take further orders." He had charge of the Cambridge
company from October, 1645, ^o November, 1647. Oct. 5, 1652, the County Court
empowered "Mr. Henry Dunster [1640] and Mr. Joseph Cooke [1640] to improve the
estate of Col. George Cooke [1638], deceased, for the good of Mary Cooke, his
daughter," etc. Joseph Cooke (1640) went to England in 1658, and in 1665 was residing
at Stannaway, Essex County, at which time he conveyed his homestead, and several lots
of land, to his son. It is not known that he returned to America.

David Courtney (1640). The name Courtney is very plainly written on the oldest
roll in the possession of the Artillery Company, but the authorities do not appear to
mention it.

Francis Cosen, or Cozens (1640). This name does not appear on the old roll of
the Company, but it has been inserted because, in the list of " Names of the officers
of the Artillery Company . . . collected Sept 6 1680, by Nat. Barnes, Sec," the name
Francis Cosen appears in the list of officers for 1640-1. Mr. Cosen (1640) was
"junior sergeant" in that year, and after his name and grade follow, in the same line,
the words " Sergt. ffriend," implying that Sergt. John Friend (1640) acted as junior
sergeant during a part, if not all, of the year.

Joseph Cooke (1640). Authorities: Savage's Gen. Diet.; Paige's Hist, of Cambriilge.



lOO HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1640-1

Wentworth Day (1640), of Boston in 1640, has the prefix of respect on his admis-
sion to the church, Sept. 22 of that year.

April 26, 1641, "Our brother Mr Wentworth Day hath graunted unto him 100
acres of land for his greate Lott at Muddy River out of a parte of that land which was
appoynted for the Comune." "He was a surgeon," Savage says, "at Cambridge,"
and is honored by Rev. Mr. Hale, of Beverly, in his tract on Witchcraft, as saving, in
1652, "a woman charged with the horrid offence." Probably he returned home, for
one with his unusual name was, in 1658, fined and imprisoned, as one of the "fifth
monarchy men," and for disturbing the reign of Oliver Cromwell. In 1661, he was
living in London, and had a legacy in the will of Edwarc' Shrimpton.

Henry Dunster (1640), Boston and Cambridge, was a son of Henry Dunster of
Balehoult, England. He came over in 1640, and resided for a short time in Boston,
on the north corner of Court and Washington streets. Dec. 13, 1641, the Cambridge
records refer to Mr. Dunster's barn and the town spring near by. The barn stood on
the northerly side of Brattle Street, near Church Street. In 1649, the town gave him
four hundred acres of land. He was a member of the Cambridge church, and was
admitted a freeman June 2, 1641. He was educated at Magdalen College, in the
University of Cambridge, receiving his degrees in 1630 and 1634. He was elected
president of Harvard College, Aug. 27, 1640, and resigned that office Oct. 24, 1654.
Subsequently he preached in Scituate, and died there in February, 1659; but, as
specially directed in his will, he was buried in Cambridge.

Daniel Fisher (1640), of Dedham, son of Anthony and Mary Fisher, of Dedham,
was born at Syleham, Suffolk County, England, about 1620. He was a brother of Anthony
(1644), and a cousin of Joshua (1640). He was admitted into the Dedham church
in 1639. The record is as follows : " Daniel Fisher who appeared to be a tender
hearted & hopeful. Christian young man, as allso divers of ye y' had long knowne him
testified & so was easily and gladly received." He became a freeman May 13, 1640,
and married, Nov. 18, 1641, Abigail Marriot, of Cambridge. He died Oct. 8, 1683, and
his widow followed him upon the eleventh of the same month.

Mr. Fisher (1640) was "learned in the law," captain of militia, selectman of
Dedham in 1650, and for thirty-two years representative to the General Court, from 1658
to 1682, — excepting two years, — town clerk, town surveyor, clerk of the writs, speaker
of the House of Deputies three years, and in 1683, the year of his decease, was elected
to the office of " assistant." In 1658, he is called in the colony records, " Sergeant " ;

Wentworth Day (1640). Authorities: Re- went to Hadley into the family of Rev. John Russell,

port of Boston Rec. Com, 1634-1660; Savage's where for a year or more she waited upon the

Gen. Diet. regicides, Whalley and Goff, who fled to this coun-

Henry Dunster (1640). Authorities: Life try to escape the wrath of Charles II. (See Palfrey's

of Henry Dunster, First President of Harvard Col- Hist, of New Eng., Vol. II.; Dedlam Hist. Reg.,

lege, by Rev. J. Chaplin, D. D., 1872; Life of the Vol. III., p. 117, Vol. IV., p. 20; New Eng. Hist,

same, by Samuel Dunster, 1876; Histories of Har- and Gen. Reg., 1S62; .250th Anniversary of Ded-

vard College; New Eng. Ilist. and Gen. Reg., 1873. ham, pp. 66, 209.)

Daniel Fisher (1640). .Vutiiorities: Ded- Mr. Worthington says, in the last-named book,

ham Records; 250th Anniversaiy of Dedham, p. "The place where the Regicides were then con-

65; Dedham Hist. Reg., 1S92, p. 187, etseq.; Whit- cealed was known to but few persons in the whole

man's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842. Colony, and Lydia Fisher deserves to be remem-

Lydia Fisher, daughter of Capt. Daniel (1640) bered as a woman who not only kept a simple secret,

was born in Dedham July 14, 1652. In 1671, she but a great colonial secret."



»640-i] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. lOI

in 1673, he was promoted from ensign to captain of the Dedham comjiany. He was
first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1655.

A list of the duties he discharged, and of the various positions on committees, etc.,
which he held, are set forth in detail in the Dedham Historical Register, \'ol. HI.,
p. 187, ct scq. His residence in Dedham was on what is now Lowder Street, on the
estate owned by Mrs. Rodman.

In February, 1681, Randolph, the agent of King James in the colony, exhibited
articles of high misdemeanor against a "faction" (so called by Randolph) in the Gen-
eral Court, to the lords in council. Among these men thus selected to be the victims
of royal indignation was Capt. Fisher (1640). June 14, 1682, Randolph wrote to the
Earl of Clarendon that a quo 7oarranto had issued against the colony charter, and that
a warrant had been sent out to carry Thomas Danforth, Samuel Nowell, Daniel Fisher,
and Elisha Cook to England, to answer for high crimes and misdemeanors, and inti-
mates that the prosecution which his papers and evidence would support would make
their faction tremble.

"Capt. Fisher [1640] was speaker of the House at this time, and was, we must
believe, a man of great influence therein, otherwise he would not have been so much
noticed at the British court. Indeed, in such a time, his high spirit and resolute mind
would not permit him to be a timid and wavering man. He lived not to witness the
capture of Sir Edmund Andros, and the other associates of his tyranny, at Fort Hill, in
April, 1689, and an end put to their oppressions by that event. But it must be remem-
bered that he contributed much to cherish that firni spirit of resistance, which produced
that change, and which early taught what a brave and united people might do. Many of
his descendants have inherited his high and patriotic spirit. I relate one anecdote, which
illustrates the character of this family, and the spirit of the times. It was told me by
the Hon. Ebenezer Fisher, of this town, late one of the Council, a descendant of Capt.
Fisher. When Sir Edmund was captured on Fort Hill, by the Bostonians, he surren-
dered, and went unarmed to Mr. Usher's [1638] house, where he remained under
guard for some hours. When the news of this event reached Dedham, Capt. Daniel
Fisher [born in 1650], the son of the proscribed patriot, then dead, — a stout, strong
man, possessing his father's hatred of the tyrant, and his resolute spirit, — instantly set
out for Boston, and came rushing in with the country people, who were in such a rage
and heat as made all tremble again. Nothing would satisfy the country party but
binding the Governor with cords, and carrying him to a more safe place. Capt. Fisher
was seen among the crowd, leading the pale and trembling Sir Edmund by the collar
of his coat from the house of Mr. Usher [1638], back to Fort Hill. History has
informed us of this incident in that revolution, but it has never informed us who took
the lead of the country people, and who had the honor of leading the proud represent-
ative of a Stuart Prince, the oppressor of the colony, through the assembled crowd, and
placing him in safe custody at the fort."

Capt. Fisher (1640) "was likewise much employed in the various affairs of the
town. Did any enterprise require a hardy and skilful agent, he was the man most
likely to be selected. In 1663, he, with another, went through the wilderness in search
of a tract of good land, which a vague rumor had hinted was about twelve miles from
Hadley. He had the honor of being sent an ambassador to King Philip, to negotiate
a treaty for his lands at Wrentham."

The late distinguished Fisher .Ames was descended maternally from him.



102 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1640-1

Joshua Fisher (1640), of Dedham, son of Joshua, first cousin of Anthony (1644)
and of Daniel (1640), was baptized at Syleham, England, April 2, 1621. He came to
Dedham in 1637, and joined the Dedham church in August, 1639. He was admitted a
freeman May 13, 1640. He married, (i) Nov. 15, 1643, Mary Aldis, of Dedham, who
died Sept. 3, 1653, and, (2) Feb. 16, 1654, Lydia, widow of Samuel Oliver (1648), of
Boston. He died at Dedham, Aug. 10, 1672, and his widow died Feb. 2, 1683.

Mr. Fisher (1640) was very active in town matters. He was town clerk four years,
and selectman twenty-one years. He was licensed by the General Court, Oct. 20, 1658,
" to sell strong water to reheve the inhabitants, being remote from Boston, for one year."
His tavern was near the present junction of High and Court streets, in Dedham, to the
keeping of which his son, Capt. Joshua, succeeded. The inventory of his estate shows
that he was surveyor, apothecary, and innholder, and he was likewise " a maker of artistic
maps." '

In 1642, the town granted him a lot of eight acres, and another of six acres, and the
next year an additional lot. From the colonial archives of Massachusetts Bay we learn
that in 1648 he was appointed lieutenant of the military company in Dedham, and
usually after this time he is styled " Lieutenant," and when he is not, his name is
connected with some survey that identifies his individuality. In 1649, he petitioned for
relief from the excise of wines; in 1650 was appointed by the General Court to run the
line between Sudbury and Watertown ; in 1653, 1662, 1663, 1664, 1666, 1667, 1668,
1671, and 1672, was elected deputy to the General Court; in 1656 was appointed to lay
out Mr. Alcock's land, also Mr. Bradstreet's eight hundred acres; in 1664, the General
Court granted him three hundred acres of land for surveying the south line of the patent
of Massachusetts Bay, next to Plymouth; in 1666, he settled the controversy between
Mr. Z. Gold and Gov. Endicott, as to land bounds, and laid out Gov. Endicott's farm, on
Ipswich River; in 1667 was appointed, with others, to lay out the town of Mendon ;
also to lay out Dedham's eight thousand acres, near Hadley. In 1670, the General
Court ordered a further survey of the line between Massachusetts and Plymouth, and
Oct. II, 1670, the bill, forty shillings, of Lieut. Fisher (1640), for doing the same, was
paid to his children. The survey was reported to the General Court May 15, 1672, and
Lieut. Fisher (1640) died in August of that year.

From the records of Dorchester, we learn that Lieut. Fisher (1640) was employed to
run the line between Dedham and Dorchester; in 1670, to run the line from "Blue
Hill" to Plymouth; in 1661, Dorchester paid him for a new map of the town, and in
1670, for a second revised map. The Dedham records show that, in 1649, he was
deputed, and undertook to make, a true plat of the outmost lines of the town.
He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1648.

The honorable positions accorded him by the town, the military, and the Common-
wealth, prove that he was a sagacious, capable, and active man, in whom his own and the
adjoining towns had perfect confidence.

Joshua Fisher (1640). Authorities: Ded- inherited the property. He married, Oct. 30, 1742,

ham Records ; 250th Anniversary of Dedham, pp. Deborah Fisher, who was the mother of Fisher

66, 193; Dedham Hist. Reg., 1891, 37; 1892, 191 ; Ames, known in history. The tavern was called

Mass. Col. Archives; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. the Ames Tavern until the Revolution, when it be-

A. Company, Ed. 1842. came known as Woodward's Tavern, and was taken

The tavern, fronting on High Street, passed down in 1S17. It was the birthplace of Fisher

from Capt. Joshua to his daughter Mary, wife of Ames. — See Deiffiam Hist. Reg., Vol. /I.,/'. 37.
Dr. Nathaniel Ames, Sr. On the death of his ' Hon. Charles Levi Woodbury's MSB.

wife, in 1737, and of his son, in 1738, Dr. Ames



1640-1I HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. I03

John Friend (1640) was of Salem in 1637; but in 1640, " 3011' day of the i"
moneth," Boston Records say, " John Friend, Carpenter, now dwelling in this Towne,
is to be allowed to be an Inhabitant thereof." ' In 1654, he is again recorded in Salem
as a carpenter. He is named in 3 Mass. Hist. Coll., III., 159, in connection with the
Pequot War.

His removal to Boston was perhaps occasioned by his obtaining work at Cambridge.
In the History of Harvard College, by Josiah Quincy, it appears that John Friend (1640)
was one of the carpenters who worked on the first college building. His name occurs
several times in the treasurer's reports, as being paid for his labor. In 1639, he made
a donation in work to the college of £,1 Zs. ; the same year discounted ^10 on his bill,
and made another donation of ^3 iojt. He was a sergeant of the Artillery Company
in 1640.

His will was dated Jan. 4, 1656, in which year he died, probably at Salem.

John Gutteridge (1640) (Goodridge), of Boston in 1640, was a tailor. He became
a member of the church Jan. 29, 1642, and a freeman May 18 of that year. He was
admitted to be a townsman in Boston, Jan ^i, 1641-2. By his wife, Prudence, he had
a son, born in Boston, Oct. i, 1642.

William Hudson (1640), of Boston, was admitted a freeman Oct. 12, 1640.

"Before the birth of his daughter, Hannah," March 12, 1644, he went to England and
served as ensign in the company of John Leverett (1639), under Israel Stoughton
(1637), Rainsburrow's (1639) regiment, in the Earl of Manchester's army, on the side
of Parliament. He became tired of the service and returned home. His return may
have been hastened "by a sad business which fell out this year [1645] ^^ Boston," an
account of which is given in Winthrop's History, Vol. II., p. 249, and is quoted by
Whitman in his History of the Artillery Company, second edition, p. 105. According



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 16 of 73)