Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 18 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 18 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


no HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1640-1

Boston about November, 1655, when he bought a house there of Joshvia (1640) and
Cydia Fisher. In 1672, he became a deacon in the church at Hadley, and the same year
was elected to represent that town in the General Court. He was buried Feb. 3, 1686.

Samuel Shepard (1640), of Cambridge in 1635, came in the "Defence," aged
twenty-two years, by the custom-house records. He is called a servant of Harlakenden,
probably to deceive the British government. He arrived Oct. 3, 1635, was one of the
first members of a new church gathered Feb i, 1636, in "New Town," and was admitted
to be a freeman March 3, 1636. He was a half-brother of Rev. Thomas Shepard, of
Cambridge. He purchased the estate on the southerly side of Harvard Street, extending
from Holyoke Street to Bow Street. Samuel Shepard (1640) was an able and useful
citizen. He was intrusted by the General Court, in September, 1639, with the manage-
ment of the college stock, and with " the completion of the building begun by Mr.
Eaton." He was selectman in 1638, representative in 1639, 1640, 1644, and 1645, clerk
of the writs in .1640, and commissioner for small causes in 1641. He was intimately
associated with Col. George Cooke (1638) ; they were both military men; both came
over in the " Defence " ; they sen'ed here together, and went back to England together
to serve in the army of Cromwell. He was the first ensign of the military company
organized in Cambridge in December, 1636, of which George Cooke (1638) was captain.
In October, 1645, having been excused from their duties as members of the General Court,
they sailed together for England. Both enlisted in the cause of Parliament, — Cooke
(1638) as colonel, and Shepard (1640) as major. His church relation was severed prior
to 1658. He had then been in Ireland several years, for under date of March 8,
1649-50, he wrote from London to Deacon Edward Collins (1641), appointing him his
attorney in New England, saying, " I am within a few days to be in Ireland, if God will ;
but the next letters will, I hope, settle me." Edward Collins (1641) was granted
administration on the estate of Samuel Shepard (1640), deceased, Sept. 15, 1673.

Christopher Stanley (1640), of Boston in 1635, came, at the age of thirty-two years,
in the "Elizabeth and Ann," from London. He joined the First Church May 16, 1641,
and was admitted a freeman on the 2d of June next following. He is called in the
church records a "taylor." In 1640, he was granted one acre "upon the little island at
Hogg Island " ; in 1642, he was given permission to buy "the marish in the mill-field,"
at forty shillings per acre ; May 29, 1643, he was appointed "water Bayliffe to cleare the
Shoare of all offences to boates or the like"; April 2, 1644, he was granted liberty to
wharf before his property near Winnisimmet Ferry, in the mill-field. He was a captain
in the militia, and died March 27, 1646. He left a good estate to his widow, who
married William Phillips (1644), and made the first bequest to the town for the support
of schools.'

Samuel Shepard (1640). Authorities: Mr. Shepard's (1640^ accounts are printed in

Ilurd's Hist, of Middlesex Co., Vol. I., p. 177; the above-mentioned volume.
Paige's Hist, of Cambridge; Quincy's Hist, of Christopher Stanley (1640). .\urHORiTiES:

Hatv. Coll. Savage's Cien. Diet.; Report of Boston Rec. Com.,

"College Book, No. III., p. 3, after stating, 1634-1660; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S30

that Nathaniel Eaton, having been convicted of (will).

sundry abuses, was, in September, 1639, removed ' 1 649, April 9, the town record says, " William

from his trust, proceeds thus: 'The charge of carry- Phillips [1644] hath agreed to give 131 4c/ per

ing on the building begun by Mr. Eaton was then annum forever to the use of the schools for the land

committed to the management of Mr. .Samuel Shep- that Christopher Stanley [1640] gave in his will for

ard [1640], and the College Book was put into his the schools' use."
hands.' " — Quhicfs Hisl. Harv. Coll., Vol. I.



1640-'] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY." Ill

Robert Turner (1640), of Boston in 1633, is called in the records of the First
Church, of which he became a member Sept. 8, 1633, "our brother Edward Bendall's
£1638] man-servant." He was admitted a freeman March 4, 1634. In 1639, he had
a wife, Penelope. Their first child was Ephraim Turner (1663), who was born Dec. 13,
1639. Mr. Turner (1640) was an innholder. He bought of Richard Fairbanks (1654),
in 1652, the property where the Boston Globe building now stands, and erected a new
building upon the lot, which afterwards became known as the "Blue Anchor" tavern.
The town voted, "5th 8mo. [1652], Sergt Turner [1640] is alowed to have his new
house to jet out farther into the street then his old house now standeth," etc. He
furnished lodgings and refreshments to government officials, to commissioners of the
United Colonies, and to the clergy, when assembled in convention by order of the
General Court. The rooms in the "Anchor," or "Blue Anchor," tavern, were desig-
nated as the "Cross Keyes," "Green Dragon," the "Anchor and Castle Chamber,"
and the " Rose and Sun Low Room." This tavern, in 1691, was kept by the celebrated
landlord, George Monck. The Boston Records inform us that on the 28* of i mo., 1642,
the selectmen ordered the constable to pay Robert Turner (1640) eighteen shillings for
"Dyet, beere and fire for the Selectmen." Gleaner's article No. XXXVI., in Vol. V.
of the Reports of the Record Commissioners of Boston, gives an exhaustive account of
"Robert Turner's [1640] great pasture on Beacon street and hill."

He held the office of sergeant in the Boston militia in 1652, and that of lieutenant
in 165s, and until his decease. Lieut. Turner (1640) was first sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1659, ensign in 1661, and lieutenant in 1662.

His will of July 9, 1664, which was proved Aug. 24, 1664, "as he spoke it," is given
in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. XIIL, p. 11.

David Yale (1640), of Boston, son of David and Anne Yale, of Wales, came to
America, probably, in 1637, with his stepfather. Gov. Theophilus Eaton, who married,
as his second wife, Anne, the widow of David Yale, Sr. They settled in New Haven,
Conn. Mr. Yale (1640) was not suited with New Haven, and very soon after his

arrival moved to Boston and settled there as a merchant. He married Ursula ,

by whom he had at least four children, Elizabeth, David, Elihu, born April 5, 1649, ^nd
Theophilus. Mr. Savage says David Yale (1640) "was probably driven from Massa-
chusetts by the intolerance of the age, for his estate here was sold by his attorneys,"
Capt. Thomas Clarke (1638) and Capt. Thomas Lake (1653). Mr. Yale (1640) was
a sympathizer with the views of Samuel Maverick (1658), Dr. Robert Child (1639),
Thomas Fowle (1639), and others, and with them signed that "petition of seditious
character," which brought them before the court. All except Mr. Maverick (1658) very
soon returned to England.

David Yale (1640) purchased, in 1645, of Edward Bendall (1638), his house and
garden, "containing two acres," which "had Sudbury [Court] Street on the east and
took in Tremont Row and the centre of Scollay Square." He was second sergeant of
the Artillery Company in 1648.

Not long after the birth of Theophilus in 1652, the family returned to England and

Robert Turner (1640). Authoritiks: Bos- David Yale (1640). Authorities: New

ton Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Mem. Hist, of Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S50; Savage's Edition

Boston; Drake's Landmarks of Boston; Whitmore's of Winthrop's Hist., Vol. U.; Savage's Gen. Diet. ;

Notes to Jolin Dunton's Letters; \Vhitnian'5 Hist. Hist, of Education in Conn., No. 14, Bureau of

A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1S42. Education, U. S. A., 1S93.



112 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1641-2

settled there. Elihu, when about twenty-one years of age, went to Madras, India, to
make his fortune as a merchant, and became president of Madras. He had great
opportunities to acquire wealth, and in 1692 returned to England very rich. Through
the influence of Mr. Drummer and Cotton Mather, Elihu Yale was induced to make a
present of eight hundred pounds in goods to the college of New Haven, on account
of which gift the institution was given the name of " Yale." The goods were consigned
for the college to Col. William Tailer (17 12), who represented Mr. Elihu Yale on
commencement day, in 17 18.



, The officers elected were : Edward Gibbons (1637), captain ; Thomas

T n 4 J - 2 , Savage (1637), lieutenant; Benjamin Keane (163S), senior sergeant;
I Edward Hutchinson (1638), junior sergeant; John Leverett (1639),

clerk, and Arthur Perry (1638), drummer.

The Company elected Capt. Gibbons (1637) a second time, probably on account of
his superior qualifications and his great personal popularity.

The new members recruited in 1641-2 were: Thomas Barker, John Biggs, Robert
Bridges, Edward Collins, Samuel Eldred, John Hardier, Joshua Hobart, Nathaniel
Howard, Jeremiah Howchin, John Humfrey, Jr., John Manning, John Milam, John
Mousall, John Newton, Adam Otley, George Palmer, Thomas Parish, John Severne,
William Torrey, John Townsend, John Westgate, Stephen Winthrop.

Thomas Barker (1641), of Rowley,' came from Ragwell, in the county of Suffolk,
England. He became a freeman May 13, 1640. He died in 1650, and his widow
became the third wife of Rev. Ezekiel Rogers.

John Biggs (1641), of Boston in 1630, came, probably, with Winthrop, as he was
one of the earliest members of the First Church, and was admitted to be a freeman
March 4, 1634. In 1635, he removed to Ipswich, but soon returned, and being one of
the sympathizers with Mr. Wheelwright, he delivered up his arms to Capt. Robert
Keayne (1637) ii^ November, 1637. He probably lived in Exeter, N. H., a short time,
where Wheelwright and his followers established themselves in 1638. A grant of land
was made to him, west of North Russell Street, in Boston, in 1641. His dwelling was on
Court Street, on the third lot from Washington Street, on the east side. He was one of
the donors, Aug. 12, 1661, "towards the maintenance of a free-schoolmaster." Mr.
Biggs (1641) was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1659.

Robert Bridges_(i64i), of Lynn in 1640, was admitted a freeman June 2, 1641.
Soon after, he went to England, but returned with John Winthrop, Jr., in 1643. He was
captain of the Lynn train-band at the organization of the militia in 1644, and the same
year was elected deputy from Lynn. He was twice re-elected, 1645 and 1646, and the

John Biggs (1641). Auihokities: Savage's Hist, of Essex Co., p. 294; Whitman's Hist. A. and

Gen. Diet.; Savage's Edition of Winthrop's Hist, of H. .\. Company; Savage's Edition of Winthrop's

New Eng.; New Eng. Reg., 1861, p. 252 (will). Hist, of New Eng.

Robert Bridges (1641). Authokities: Sav- ' Savage's Gen. Diet., Vol. I.
age's Gen. Diet.; Lewis's Mist, of Lynn; Hurd's



1641-2] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. II3

latter year he was speaker of the House of Representatives. He was elected assistant
in 1647, s-'^d was yearly re-elected until 1656, the year of his death.

He was a man of property, ability, and marked traits of character. In 1645, he was
appointed, with Richard Walker (1638) and Sergt. Marshall, by the New England
Confederation, to negotiate with Monsieur d'Aulnay, knight captain-general for the
King of France, Governor of the French province of Acadia. The negotiation was
successful, and the commissioners were duly recompensed, Capt. Bridges (1641) being
paid ten pounds.

In 1645, Capt. Bridges (1641) was one of a committee of five members of the
House, to draft bills "for positive lawes" against lying, Sabbath-breaking, profanity,
drunkenness, and kindred vices. He joined with the Governor and assistants in 1649,
and signed a " protestation against the prevailing custom of wearing long hair, ' after
the manner of ruffians and barbarous Indians.'" In the month of June, 1654, "Thomas
Wheeler [was] bound over to the Court by the worshipful Captain Bridges [1641] for
sinful and offensive speeches made by him in comparing Rev. Mr. Cobbett to Corah."
Wheeler was sentenced to make public acknowledgment, pay the witnesses jQ\2 2s. 6J.,
and fees of the court.

"On Sunday, July 20, 1651, three men of the Baptist persuasion, from Rhode
Island, named Clark, Crandall, and Holmes, went to the house of one Witter, at Swamp-
scott, where Mr. Clark began to preach. On hearing this, Capt. Bridges [164 1], the
magistrate, sent two constables to apprehend them, as disturbers of the peace. In the
afternoon, they were taken to Mr. Whiting's meeting, where they refused to uncover
their heads. Mr. Bridges [1641] ordered a constable to take off their hats, when one
of them attempted to speak, but was prevented. At the close of the meeting, one of
them made some remarks, after which they were taken to the Anchor Tavern, and
guarded through the night. In the morning they were sent to Boston and imprisoned."
From such incidents, it would seem that though Capt. Bridges (1641) was honest,
religious, and faithful to his convictions, yet he was exacting, and rigorous, if not
bigoted. Johnson says, " He was endued with able parts, and forward to improve them
to the glory of God and his people's good."

In 1642, he took specimens of the bog-ore found in Lynn to London, and formed
a company, which soon after set up a bloomery and forge. Winthrop having inspired
him to that undertaking, was the probable cause of fiis return to New England in 1643.
Capt. Bridges (1641) lived to see this enterprise fail, and the property sold to pay
Mr. Savage's (1637) attachment, notwithstanding the material aid granted by the
colony. Suits against the company were protracted through twenty years. Hubbard
says " that, instead of drawing out bars of iron for the country's use, there was ham-
mered out nothing but contention and lawsuits." Lewis adds, "They continued in
operation on a small scale for more than one hundred years. The heaps of scoria are
nearly overgrown with grass, and are called 'cinder-banks.' "

In 1644, by order of the General Court, Capt. Bridges (1641) had "the care of
two great guns" belonging to the town of Lynn. On the aSth of April, 1648, his house
was consumed by fire. He died in 1656, having lived in constant activity, loyal to the
colony, and devoted to its best interests. He was ensign of the Artillery Company in
1642, and lieutenant in 1644.



114 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1641-2

Edward Collins (i64i),of Cambridge in 1636, was admitted a freeman May 13,
1640. He joined the Cambridge church, and was elected a deacon therein before 1658.
Mr. Collins (1641) was a representative from 1654 to 1670, and held various town
offices in Cambridge. During his service in the General Court, he served on some of
the most important committees. He was an intimate friend of Gen. Gookin (1645).
For some years he lived on the farm of Gov. Cradock, in Medford, and finally purchased
it for four hundred and fifty pounds. He sold one thousand six hundred acres to
Richard Russell (1644), and the remainder to other parties. His residence in Cam-
bridge was on the easterly side of Holyoke Street, nearly opposite the present site of
the printing-office. This estate he sold to Gen. Gookin (1645), in whose family it
remained until 1760. "In 1675, Mr. Collins [1641], at the age of seventy-three years,
was still engaged in speculations in real estate " in Medford. He was admitted, Jan.
15, 167 1, an inhabitant of Charlestown, where he died, April 9, 1689, aged about
eighty-six years.

Samuel Eldred (1641), of Cambridge, had four children by wife Elizabeth, born
in that town between 1641 and 1649. The only other fact known concerning him,
when residing in Cambridge, is that he testified in a suit of Edward Goffe against
Richard Cutter, "for wrongfully detaining calves." After the testimony had been given,
the town, having considered the business, fined both the plaintiff and defendant.
Mr. Eldred (1641) is supposed to have moved to Wickford, R. I., where, as a constable,
he figured prominently in the dispute between Rhode Island and Connecticut concerning
the boundary line. He was in Rochester in 1688, and is mentioned in the Revolution
in New England Justified, p. 20.

John Hardier (i64i),of Braintree.

Joshua Hobart (i64i),of Hingham, son of Edmund and Margaret Hobart, was
born in Hingham, England, in 1614. He came to America with his parents in 1633,
and tarried at Charlestown, where he was received into the church. In 1635, he removed
to Hingham, Mass., where his brother. Rev. Peter Hobart, was pastor of the church.
Joshua (1641) was admitted to be a freeman Sept. 3, 1634. He married in March,
1638, Ellen Ibrook, of Cambridge. He was a selectman of Hingham eight years,
between 1662 and 1681 ; was deputy to the General Court in 1643, ^^^d served in that
office a total of twenty-five years; was speaker of the House in 1674; was interested in
the militia; became ensign in 1648, lieutenant in 1651, and captain of the Hingham
company in 1653. He held the latter position for over twenty years. In 1670, he was
on a committee to revise the laws; in 1673 ^^-s chosen to audit the accounts of the
treasurer of the colony, and in 1672, he and Lieut. Fisher (1640), having been appointed
commissioners, reported to the Legislature upon the boundary line between Massachu
setts Bay and Plymouth colonies. In 1679, ^ petition, signed by Capt. Hobart (1641)
and others, to form a troop of horse, was granted, and in June, 1680, this troop was

Edward Collins (1641). Authorities: Sav- Joshua Hobart (1641). Authorities: Lin-
age's Gen. Diet. ; Brooks's Ilist. of Medford; Paige's eoln's Hist, of Hingham; Savage's Gen. Diet.;
Hist, of Cambridge; Frothingham's Hist, of Charles- Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842;
town. Savage's Edition of Winthrop's Hist, of New Eng.

Samuel Eldred (1641). AuTHORiriES: Sav-
age's Gen. Diet.; Paige's Hist, of Cambridge.



1641-2] HONORAnLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. I I 5

attached to a new regiment, commanded by Col. \Vm. Stoughton. The Indian deed of
Hingham, given in 1665, conveys to Capt. Joshua Hobart (1641) and John Thaxter,
" for a valuable consideration to us payd " by them, "the Towneshippe of Hingham,"
for the use of the inhabitants of Hingham.

He appears to have been one of the principals in the famous military quarrel in
Hingham in 1645, which disturbed the train-band, the church, the town, and finally the
elders and the General Court. It resulted in the fining of all the parties, not exempting
his brother, the minister. Capt. Joshua (1641) was fined twenty pounds, being the
heaviest penalty imposed on any of them. This quarrel arose about the election of one
Bozoun Allen (1650) to be the first captain of the train-band in Hingham. Capt.
Hobart (1641), probably in consequence of the severity of the court upon him, was not
only promoted to be captain when Capt. Allen (1650) moved to Boston, but, March 20,
1655, he was, "by a joint consent and general vote of the town, freed from paying any
rates for the public charge of the town during the time that he is chief ofificer of the
town for the exercise of the military company." Both of the above-mentioned cap-
tains, at the time of this difference, were members of the House of Representatives.
There is a tradition that, as captain of a company, he was in active service during some
part of King Philip's War. He resided on Main Street, next east of the meeting-house
of the First Parish, where he died, July 28, 1682.

Nathaniel Howard (1641), of Dorchester, was admitted to be a freeman May 10,
1643. A Nathaniel Howard is mentioned in the History of Dorchester. Mr. Savage
thinks he moved to Charlestown, and there married, July 2, 1666, Sarah, daughter of
Major Simon Willard, She died Jan. 22, 1678, and he married, July i, 1678, Sarah
Parker. He was a tenant on Winthrop's farm, Feb. 12, 1671. He moved to Chelms-
ford in 1680. His will of Nov. 7, 1709, was probated Feb. 17, 1709-10.

Jeremiah Howchin (1641), son of William, of Harleston, Norfolk County, England,
a tanner, came over in 1635, was admitted a member of Dorchester church June 12,
1639, and became a freeman May 13, 1640. He moved to Boston with Duncan (1638),
Upshall (1637), and other Dorchester settlers whose names are among those of the
founders of the Old North Society in 1650, and was admitted an inhabitant March 13,
1648. He was elected a constable of Boston in 1648, clerk of the market in 1649,
sealer of leather in 1650, and served as a selectman six years, from 1649 to 1654. His
daughter, Elizabeth, married John Endicott, Jr., and another, Rachel, married, in 1673,
Bozoun Allen (1676). Mr. Howchin (1641) owned property on Elm Street, and also
the east corner of Court and Hanover streets, where Concert Hall afterward stood. His
house, garden, orchard, and tan-pits, included " one quarter of an acre of land," which
he sold in 1646, and afterward lived on Elm Street. He was representative for Hing-
ham from 165 1 to 1659, excepting 1656, and for Salisbury in 1663, 1664, 1665, and
1667. He resigned his commission as ensign in Capt. Thomas Clarke's (1644) com-
pany. May 23, 1655. He died between April 7, 1670, the date of his will, and May 31
next following, when his will was proved.

Nathaniel Howard C1641). Authorities: Hist, of Dorchester, by Antiq. and Hist. Soc; His-
Savage's Gen. Diet. ; Wyman's Charlestown. tories of Boston; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg.,

Jeremiah Howchin (1641). Authorities: 1851 and 1880; Records of Mass. Bay.



Il6 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1641-2

John Humfrey, Jr. (1641), of Lynn, was the eldest son of Gen. John Humfrey
(1640). Mr. Whitman (1810) says, "He probably returned to England and died there.
A letter of attorney, in 1684, was sent to a Mr. Humfrey, to appear and answer for the
province aoncerning Andros' troubles, and may mean the same person." Gen. Humfrey
(1640) went to England Oct. 26, 1641, and perhaps John, Jr. (1641), went with him
and did not return. The latter was the fifth person who joined the Artillery Company



John Manning (1641), of Boston, was a merchant. His name is not mentioned in
the Book of Possessions, nor in the Records of the Selectmen. He had children born
in Boston, by wife, Abigail. She died June 25, 1644. He married (2) Ann, daughter
of Richard Parker (1638).

Mr. Manning (1641) was ensign of the Artillery Company in 1648.

John Milam (1641), of Boston, a cooper, was admitted to be a freeman May 25,
1636, and joined the First Church, with his wife, Christian, Jan. 3, 1635-6. His house
and garden were east of Hanover Street, on Cross Street (corner of North), the same
lot upon which the stone house was erected which was torn down in 1864, and consid-
ered the oldest building in Boston. Sept. 25, 1643, he had liberty to wharf before his
dwelling-house, and in 1647, "to wharf afor the highway that lys next him." In 1644,
the General Court loaned two guns, valued at thirteen pounds, to the owners of a ship.
The guns had not been returned May 22, 165 1, when the General Court ordered that
the owners of the ship-^Capt. William Tyng (1638), Capt. Robert Keayne (1637),
and John Milam (1641) — should pay to the colony fifteen pounds within fourteen days.
In 1652, Mr. Milam (1641) removed from Boston.

John Mousall (1641), of Charlestown, was born in England in 1596; came to
America in 1634, and joined the church in Charlestown, with his wife, the 23d of August,
in the same year. He was admitted a freeman Sept. 3, 1634, and was a deputy in the
General Court in 1635 and 1637.

He was one of the seven male members who constituted the church in Woburn
at its organization, Aug. 14, 1642, and one of its deacons until his decease. He was
appointed, in 1643, a commissioner to "end small causes" in Woburn; was one of the
first board of selectmen, and served in that office twenty-one successive years.

He died in Woburn, March 27, 1665.

John Newton (1641) was of Dorchester "as early as 1630," according to Dr.
Harris, and "in 1632" according to Mr. Savage. He was admitted a freeman March 4,
1633. He moved to Dedham prior to January, 1636, when his name appears in the

John Humfrey, Jr. (1641). Authorities: ham Records; Hist, of Dorchester, by .\ntiq. and

Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842; Hist. Soc; Savage's Gen. Diet.
Savage's Gen. Diet. This name (Newton) is given on the oldest roll

John Milam (1641). Authorities: Savage's of the Artillery Company, " Nuton," which iVIr.

Gen. Diet.; Boston Records; Mem. Hist, of Boston; Whitman (1810) called Nudon, hence Norden;



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 18 of 73)