Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 19 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 19 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


see description of the stone house, in Shurtleff's therefore, Samuel Norden, of Boston. The sureties

Topographical Description of Boston, p. 667. of this person, as given on the same roll, are Joshua

John Mousall (1641). Auiiiorities: Hurd's and Anthony Fisher, of Dedham. We would natu-

Hist. Middlesex Co., Vol. I., pp. 337, 338; Vol. H., rally look to Dedham for the person. Mr. John

p. 465; Sewall's Ilist. of Woburn; New Eng. Hist. Newton (1641), a resident of Dedham, prominent

and Gen. Reg., 1875; Savage's Gen. Diet. in the town and a neighbor of the Fishers, is be-

John Newton (1641). Authorities: Ded- lieved to be the person intended.



'641-2] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 117

Dedham Records. He united with tlie churcli tliere, April 9, 1643. In 1639, Edward
Allen, "Gent," was authorized to make a transcript of the surveys made in Dedham. It
had not been done May 6, 1642, when Mr. Allen was permitted to obtain the assistance
of his kinsman, John Newton (1641), in writing and engrossing the same. His name
appears repeatedly in Dedham Records until 1669. He was first sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1666.

Adam Otiey (1641) was of Lynn in 1641. Mr. Lewis says Mr. Otley (1641)
married a daughter of Gen. John Humfrey (1640). In 1644, Adam Otley (1641)
petitioned the General Court for a review of the decision of the referees against him in
his case against Joseph Armitage. The petition was denied.

George Palmer (1641), of Boston in 1640, was a wine-cooper. He removed before
1655 to Warwick, R. I., and died about 1669. In April, 1670, a Boston creditor, James
Neighbors, was granted letters of administration.

Thomas Parish (1641), of Cambridge, a physician, came in the "Increase" in
1635, aged twenty-two years. He was admitted to be a freeman April 18, 1637.

In September, 1643, the three commissioners, with a guard of forty men, were
sent out to bring in Samuel Gorton and his company. Capt George Cooke (1638)
was one of the commissioners, and likewise captain of the Company. In this
expedition, Thomas Parish (1641) served as surgeon. In Paige's History of Cambridge,
we are informed that Thomas Parish (1641) resided on the westerly side of Garden Street,
near Concord Avenue; was a selectman in 1639 and 1640. He returned to England
before 1654, when his homestead (the house having been burned) was sold by his agent.
Samuel Parish, of " witch mania memory," speaks of his father, Thomas, as a merchant
living in London in 1656, and owning estates in Barbadoes, where he died in 1673.

John Severance (1641) — spelled Severne on the old roll — was, in 1639, an original
proprietor of Salisbury. His son, Ephraim, married, Nov. g, 1682, Lydia, daughter of
Abraham Morrill (1638). Mr. Severance (1641) and Mr. Morrill (1638) lived near
neighbors on Mudnock Road, and both were active in the affairs of the town.

Mr. Severance (1641) was chosen one of a committee to manage the affairs of the
plantation in 1642, and was elected a prudential man the following year, and later held

various town offices. His first wife, Abigail , died June 17, 1658, and he married

(2) Susanna Ambrose, a widow. He died April 2, 1682.

William Torrey (1641), of Weymouth, yeoman, son of Philip and Alicie Torrey,
was born at Combe St. Nicholas, Somersetshire, England, in 1608 (baptized Dec. 21).
He married, March 17, 1629, Agnes Combe, of Combe St. Nicholas, who died before
1640, when he came to America, bringing "William and Samuel Torrey, his Sonne."

It is supposed that just prior to his emigration he married a second wife, by whom

Adam Otley (1641). AuxHORrriEs : Savage's John Severance (1641). Authorities : Sav-

Gen. Diet. ; Hutch. Coll., 121. age's Gen. Diet.; Merrill's 1 list, of Amesbury.

George Palmer (1641). Authority: Sav- William Torrey (1641). Authorities: Sav-
age's Gen. Diet. age's Gen. Diet.; Lincoln's Hist, of Hingham;

Thomas Parish (1641). Authorities: Sav- MSS. of Mr. Herbert A. Newton, No. Weynioulh.
age's Gen. Diet.; Paige's Hist, of Cambridge.



Il8 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1641-2

he had six children. He died on Tuesday, July 10, 1690. His will of May 15, i685,
was proved July 2, 1691.

He became a freeman May 18, 1642, and was a prominent citizen of Weymouth.
He was a selectman of that town from 1643 almost constantly until 1682. In 1654,
he was chosen a commissioner "to end small causes," and held that office many
years. He was a representative from 1642 to 1649 inclusive, except 1646 and 1647,
and also from 1679 to 1683 ; and after the overthrow of Andros, in 1690. He was clerk
of the deputies from 1648 to 1658, and again in 1661 ; also, 1666. He was appointed
clerk of the writs at Weymouth, and was authorized to " see people join in marriage at
Weymouth." He served as lieutenant of the train-band of Weymouth, under Capt. Wm.
Perkins (1638), and became his successor in command. During the difficulty in the
Hingham company, 1645-8, Capt. Torrey (1641), by order of the General Court, Aug.
12, 1645, was the chief military officer in Hingham. In May, 1646, he was succeeded
by Gen. Edward Gibbons (1637).

In consideration of the services of Capt. Torrey (1641), the General Court granted
him five hundred acres of land. He was well educated, and is spoken of by Johnson as
" a good penman, and skilled in the Latin tongue, usually Clarke of the Deputies."
In 16S7, he wrote a "Discourse concerning Futurities or Things to Come," — a curious
essay on the speedy coming of the Messiah, which was published in 1757. The only
copy known to be now in existence is in the Public Library of Boston.

His house in Weymouth was situated about two hundred feet easterly of the present
line of Neck Street, at the head of the cove formerly known as Capt. Torrey's Cove,
and later as Sampson's Cove. Well-defined marks of the cellar were there visible in
1885.

John Townsend (1641), of Lynn, was, perhaps, son of Thomas, of Lynn. With
others, he made a settlement on Long Island, where he lived and left descendants.

John Westgate (1641), of Bostoii, an unmarried man when admitted to the church,
Sept. 12, 1640, from which he was dismissed Sept. 26, 1647, "on desire of the church of
Pulham Mary in Norfolk, England." In May, 1677, he was of Harleston in that
county, vvhence he had written, April 5, 1653, to Capt. Thomas Lake (1653), to inquire
if the report of the death of his former teacher, John Cotton, was true.'

Col. Stephen Winthrop (1641), fourth son of Gov. John Winthrop, of Massachu-
setts, was born at Groton Manor, Suffolk County, England, March 24, 16 19. He
accompanied his mother to New England in 1631, united with the church March 16,
1634, and became a freeman Dec. 7, 1636. He was appointed in 1639 by the Court
"to record things," and in 1642 obtained leave from the General Court to visit England.
He delayed his journey for some time, and in 1644 represented the town of Plymouth,
N. H., in the House of Deputies.

In 1645, he went to England with his brother-in-law, Col. William Rainsburrow
(1639), and thence to the West Indies. Returning to England, he resided in the parish of

Stephen Winthrop (1641). Authorities: Reg. for 1894 gives his will, found in England and

Savage's Gen. Diet.; Winthrop's Hist, of New Eng.; copied by Mr. Waters.
Letters of Col. Stephen Winthrop (1641), in Win- ' Savage's Gen. Diet.

throp Papers, Part IV. New Eng. Hist, and Gen.



'642-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 19

St. Margaret, Westminster. He acquired distinction, botli military and political, obtaining
a commission in the Parliamentary army, and becoming a member of Cromwell's Parlia-
ment, for Scotland. He gradually rose to the rank of colonel, and commanded a regi-
ment in Cromwell's service. " He was much trusted by the Protector. He succeeded
Major-Gen. Harrison, who troubled Cromwell so much with his anticipation of a king-
dom of the saints." His health suffered from his sleeping on the damp ground in one
of his campaigns, and he died at his residence in London in the latter part of 1658.
In Suffolk County Records, of May 20, 1659, his wife, Judith, is called "relict of Stephen
Winthrop." But for the failure of his health, it is stated that Cromwell would have
made him a major-general.

He married Judith, sister of Col. William Rainsburrow (1639), an oiificer of dis-
tinction, and sister of the lady who subsequently became his stepmother. His wife
and two daughters survived him.

He was the recorder of the court in Boston which tried Capt. Bayley's case against
the Lady La Tour, and was arrested at La Tour's suit, on his return to England, at the
same time that Capt. Weld (1637), one of the jury, was arrested, and was obliged to
furnish bail in the sum of four thousand pounds.



^ The officers elected were : Israel Stoughton (1637), captain; Thomas

I QZL2" '^. Hawkins (1638), lieutenant; Robert Bridges {1641), ensign; Humfrey
' ^ Atherton (1638), senior sergeant; John Leverett (1639), junior sergeant;
Anthony Stoddard (1639), clerk, and Arthur Perry (1638), drummer.

The new commander was an enthusiastic Puritan, and as the news began to arrive
of the increasing difficulties between the King and Parliament, he doubtless often
wished, as he led the Artillery to its monthly drill, that he could be transported with
his command across the Atlantic, there to wage war against the Church of Rome. Not
long after, he undertook the then tedious voyage, and gave his strength and courage to
the cause of Parliament as lieutenant-colonel of Rainsburrovv's (1639) regiment.

Lieut. Thomas Hawkins (1638) was jointly concerned, in 1643, ^^ith Past-Com-
mander Gibbons (1637) in an expedition which they fitted out at Boston, under a
contract with La Tour, a Protestant French-Indian trapper on the coast of Maine and
New Brunswick, against a Roman Catholic, D'Aulnay, a rival in the trade. Gibbons
(1637) and Hawkins (1642) could not openly wage war on D'Aulnay's settlement,
but they permitted their men to volunteer under La Tour, by whom a windmill was
burned, growing crops destroyed, and two vessels, loaded with four hundred moose-
skins and four hundred beaver-skins, were brought to Boston.

The new members recruited in 1642-3 were: Abraham Adkins, Andrew Belcher,
John Blake, Humphrey Bradshaw, Matthew Chaffy, John Cole, Nathaniel Duncan, Jr.,
Josias Evans, Hopestill Foster, Thomas Glover, William Patten, Michael Pepper, Thomas
Rawlins, Robert Selling, William Shepard, Lawrence Smith, Richard Stowers, Edward
Tyng, Richard Way. Adam Winthrop, John Woodde, Richard Woodde.

Abraham Adkins (1642). On the oldest roll (1680) this name is plainly written.
The sureties of Mr. Adkins (1642) were Ensign Savage (1637) and Mr. Stoddard
(1639). As Mr. Adkins' (1642) name does not appear in the records of Boston and
vicinity, he was probably not a resident of the colony.



t20 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1642-3

Andrew Belcher (1642), of Sudbury in 1639. In October of that year, he married
Elizabeth Danforth, of Cambridge, and in 1646 moved to the latter place. In June,
1654, he was licensed by the County Court, " to keep a house of publique enterteinnient
at Cambridge." This license was yearly renewed until 1673, in which year he probably
died, as the license " to keep an ordinary " was granted to his widow, Elizabeth, in
April, 1674. She, dying in 1680, was succeeded by her son Andrew. This tavern, kept
by the Belchers, was the original Blue Anchor Tavern, and stood at the northeast
corner of Brighton and Mt. Auburn streets, Cambridge Andrew Belcher (1642) was
the grandfather of Jonathan Belcher, Governor of Massachusetts and New Jersey.

John Blake (1642), of Dorchester in 1630, son of William Blake, was born in Little
Baddow, Essex County, England. He came to America with his parents in 1630, in the
" Mary and John," and settled with them in Dorchester. He was admitted a freeman
in 1644. He married, in Boston, Aug. 16, 1654, widow Mary Shaw. He removed to
Boston about 1663, and appears by the Boston Records to have been " Clarke of ye
Market" in 1669. He subsequently held other town offices. " 18, 12, 71," John Blake
was dismissed by the Dorchester church to the Third (Old South) Church in Boston.
He was a member of Capt. Sewall's (1679) company in 1684, and died without issue in
1 688. His brother, William, joined the Artillery Company in 1646.

Humphrey Bradshaw (1642), of Cambridge in 1652, when he received his share
of the Shawshine lands. Mr. Bradshaw (1642) resided in Menotomy, held several minor
town offices, and acted on important town committees. He died May 9, 1682.

Matthew Chaffy (1642), of Boston in 1636, was a ship-carpenter, admitted to be a
freeman May 17, 1637, and joined the First Church Aug. 7, 1636. He was granted
a "great Lott " at Mount WoUaston in 1638. In 1644, he was permitted to build a
wharf before his property in Mill- field. His house and garden, on the southeasterly part
of Copp's Hill, east of Hanover Street, he sold in 1649 to John Capen (1646), of
Dorchester, and bought of Dr. John Clarke, " late of Newberry, now of Boston," " one
Ferme conteineing foure hundred Acres of land, lying and being betweene the river of
Merrimack and Newbury River in Newbury [Essex County, Mass.], with all the houses,
edifices and buildings thereunto belonging," Sept. 29, 1649, where he lived until his
decease.

John Cole (1642), of Boston, son of Samuel (1637), came with his parents in the
fleet with Winthrop, in 1630. He married, Dec. 30, 165 1, Susanna,' daughter of William

Andrew Belcher (1642). Authorities: New ' Susanna Hutchinson, daughter of William and

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1848, 1870, 1873, 1874; Ann Hutchinson, in 1642 removed into the Dutch

Kurd's Hist, of Middlesex Co., p. 193; Paige's Hist. territory, and settled near what is now New Rochelle.

of Cambridge; Hudson's Hist, of Sudbury. During the war between the Dutch and Indians, Mrs.

John Blake (1642). Authorities: Savage's Hutchinson and others were killed, but Susanna

Gen. Diet.; Hist, of Dorchester, byAntiq. and Hist. was carried into captivity. She remained with the

Soc; Boston Records; Hill's Hist, of Old South Indians until July, 1646, when, unexpectedly, she

Church. was liberated through the intervention of the Dutch,

Humphrey Bradshaw (1642). Authority: and returned to Boston. — See Drake's Book of t/ie

Paige's Hist, of Cambridge. Indians, eleventh eJilion, p. 132.

Matthew Chaffy (1642). Authorities: Sav-
age's Gen. Diet.; Boston Records; Cofiin's Hist, of
Newbury.



'642-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 121

Hutchinson. He moved before 1664 to look after Mr. Hutchinson's lands in the Narra-
gansett, when the authorities in Connecticut appointed him a magistrate. He died early
in 1707.

Nathaniel Duncan, Jr. (1642), of Dorchester in 1630, came with his parents in the
"Mary and John." He was the elder son of Nathaniel Duncan (1638), of Dorchester.

Josias Evans (1642). His sureties were Sergt. French (163S) and Sergt. Atherton
(1638). The name is plainly written in the roll as copied in 1680.

Hopestill Foster (1642), and his mother, Patience, are recorded as being in the
second emigration to Dorchester Plantation, which was in 1635. Hopestill was then
fourteen years of age. He married Mary, daughter of James Bates. She died in 1703,
aged eighty-three years. He joined the Dorchester church in 1638 ; became a freeman
in 1639; was ensign of the Dorchester train-band, under Humfrey Atherton (1638),
in 1644, and subsequently its captain. He served as a selectman from 1645 to 1674
inclusive, except 1646-9, 1651, 1653, and 1667. In 1675 he was elected, but declined.
He was a deputy to the court in 1652, and afterwards a commissioner of trials. By his
will, witnessed July 19, 1676, he gave five pounds towards the free school. He resided
near the southwest corner of Adams and Centre streets. He was a brewer, active in all
town affairs, a man of judgment, and deserved popularity.' He died Oct. 15, 1676. He
was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1647. His son, Hopestill Foster (H. C,
1667), became a member of the same in 1673, ^rid his grandson, Hopestill, in 1694.

Thomas Glover (1642), of Dorchester, son of John of the same, came in 1630 with
his parents. John Glover was one of the original patentees of 1629. He was "a plain,
sincere, godly man, strong for the truth." He was the first to set up tanning in Massa-
chusetts. He owned land in Rhinehall, England, which he left by will, proved Feb. 9,
1653-4, to his son Thomas (1642). The latter was in England in 1661, and doubtless
spent the remainder of his days there, where, Mr. Savage says, " he was well married."

William Patten (1642), of Cambridge, first appears in that town March 13, 1635-6,
when he agreed with the town "to keep 100 cattle on the other side the River for the
space of seven months for twenty pounds." He became a freeman in 1645. Mr. Patten
(1642) does not appear to have been prominent in town affairs. He resided in Cam-
bridge on the easterly side of North Avenue, opposite the common. He was one of
the original proprietors of Billerica in 1658, and died there Dec. 10, 1668.

Michael Pepper (1642).

Thomas Rawlins (1642), son of Thomas and Mary Rawlins, of Roxbury and
Scituate, was born in England, and came to America with his parents in 1630, in the
same company as Gov. Winthrop. Thomas, Jr. (1642), resided in Boston, and married

Hopestill Foster (1642;. Authorities: William Patten (1642). Authorities: Paige's

Hist, of Dorchester, by Antiq. and Hist. Soc. ; Sav- Hist, of Cambridge; Savage's Gen. Diet,
age's Gen. Diet; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., ' His son, John, born Dec. lo, 164S, died Sept.

1885. 9, 1681, aged thirty-three years, was .-in ingenious

Thomas Glover (1642). Authorities: Hist. printer and mathematician. He designed the arms

of Dorchester, by Antiq. and Hist. Soc; Savage's for the Colony of Massachusetts Bay.
Gen. Diet.



122 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1642-3

Sarah . His will, dated Dec. 12, 1681, conveys his property to his nephew, Ephraim

Kempton, of Salem, and to other relatives Thomas Rawlins, Sr , died March 15, 1660.
He conveyed by will, March 12, 1660, some of his property to his wife, "and to his son
Thomas [1642], a house in Boston, provided he live there with his mother as hereto-
fore." It is added in the record of probate, that Thomas Rawlins (1642), "ye sonne,
declared that knowing his father to have left his mother-in-law [stepmother] too little,
he was free and wilhng and did give her nine pounds more."

Robert Selling (1642), as Mr. Whitman (1810) suggests, should be Robert Seeley
(1642). His sureties were Sergt. Leverett (1639), with whom he ser\-ed in 1654, and
Mr. Lyall (1640).

Robert Seeley (1642) was an early settler in Watertown. He became a freeman
May 18, 1630, was a proprietor in 1636-7, and in 1642. In 1634, he, with Abraham
Brown, was employed in the survey of Watertown, and soon after left the town. In
1637, he served as a Heutenant in the Pequot War, and afterward returned to the
vicinity of Boston. In 1654, he led the forces, raised in New Hampshire for service,
under Gen. Sedgwick (1637) and Gen. Leverett (1639), against the neighboring
province of New Netherlands — a conflict that was prevented by the restoration of peace
in Europe. In 1663, he was at the head of the militia at Huntington, Long Island, but
later at New York. A Capt. Seeley was killed in a battle with the Indians in December,
1675, who, it is thought, was Capt. Robert Seeley (1642).

William Shepard (1642). Mr. Farmer was not misled, as Mr. Savage suggests, by
reading "Mr." as an abbreviation for " W"." This name, on the oldest roll of the
Company, is plainly written "Mr. W" Sheapheard." There was a Wm. Shepard in
Dorchester, who was a servant of William Sumner. In April, 1636, he was whipped for
stealing from his master ; and " in no other instance," says Savage, " is the name to be
found in Massachusetts for the first quarter of a century."

The Mr. Shepard who joined the Artillery Company in 1642 had the prefix "Mr.,"
and his sureties were Capt. Sedgwick (1637) and Sergt. French (1638). He was prob-
ably a sojourner or visitor in Boston, as others who defy all research were, their names
not having become a part of the early town or colonial records.

Lawrence Smith (1642), of Dorchester, son of John Smith, the "quartermaster,"
who came to America in the ship "Mary and John," in 1630. He was called quarter-
master because he had served in the Netherlands in that rank. Lawrence (1642)
became a freeman May 10, 1643, ^^'^ l^''' Savage says "he was often a selectman."
He died Oct. 3, 1665. His name appears once in the Records of Massachusetts Bay,
when he appeals to the court for damages on account of an apprentice being taken away
from him.

Thomas Rawlins (1642). Authorities: Robert Seeley (1642). Authorities : Bond's

Records of Families of the name of Rawlins, by Watertown; Savage's Gen. Diet ; Ilist. of Long

John R. Rollins, Lawrence, 1S74: New Eng. Ilist. Island; Whitman's Hist. A. and II. A. Company,

and Gen. Reg., 1854, 1855. Ed. 1842.

"Thomas Rawlins [Sr.] he brought 5 children Lawrence Smith (1642). AirrHORlTlES :

to this Land. Thomas, Mary, Joane, Nathaniell, Savage's Gen. Diet. ; Records of Mass. Bay.
John, he came wth the first company, 1630." —
Roxlniry Church KecorJi.



1642-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 23

Richard Stowers (1642), son of Nicholas and Amy Stovvers, of Charlestown, was
born in England in 1620. He came to America with his parents in 1628. He became
an inhabitant in 1648, was admitted to the church April 12, 1650, was made a freeman
the next month, and in March, 1651-2, married Joanna .

In 1658, he was licensed to keep a house of entertainment in Charlestown.

He died July 8, 1693. His wife, Hannah, died Feb. 3, 1698-9.

Edward Tyng (1642), of Boston in 1639, was born in Dunstable, England, in the
year 1610. He was a brewer, afterward a merchant. His name first appears in Boston
Records, "Admitted to be an Inhabitant" of Boston, Nov. 25, 1639. He joined the
First Church, Jan. 30, 1640, and was admitted to be a freeman June 2, 1640. He was a
constable in 1642; selectman of Boston in 1645, 1648, and 1651 ; representative from
Boston in 1661 and 1662, and an assistant from 1668 to 1680 inclusive. He died, while
occupying the latter office, Dec. 28, i68f, at Dunstable, whither he moved in 1679.
He was buried in the chapel burial-ground, Boston. His burial-place became the
property of the Waldo family. Mr. Whitman (1810) gives his age as eighty-one;
Farmer and Savage, as seventy-one. In his will, proved Jan. 19, 1682, he speaks
of his "old age." His daughter, Hannah, married Habijah Savage (1665), and afterward
Major-Gen. Gookin (1645). Another daughter, Rebecca, married in 1669, Joseph
Dudley (1677), afterward governor. His brother, William, joined the Artillery Company
in 1638. Two only of his sons grew to manhood, — Edward (1668) and Jonathan
(1670). He held a colonel's commission, and was chosen by the General Court major-
general, to succeed Gen. Leverett (1639). The house, brew-house, warehouse, and
wharf in front, " My wharf against the end of the great street," /. e., State Street, corner
of Merchants Row, were where Mr. Faneuil had subsequently his warehouse, and where
still later the Admiral Vernon Tavern stood.

Richard Way (1642), of Dorchester, son of Henry, was born in England about
1620, and came to America with his parents in 1630 or 1631. He was admitted to be a
freeman May 10, 1643. He moved to Salem, — his children were born there, — but
removed to Boston about 1660. He joined the First Church Feb. 17, 166 r. He
married (i) Esther, daughter of Thomas Jones (1643), of Dorchester, and (2) Hannah,
sister of Col. Penn Townsend (1674) and widow of Thomas Hull (1667).

He was active in town affairs after his settlement in Boston. April 29, 1672, " Lt.
Richard Way [1642] to sell stronge watr'^ but not lesse than a pinte at once," is recorded
as a vote of the selectmen. A license to sell strong drink was granted him for ten years,
though he was by trade a cooper. Nov. 14, 1673, the selectmen ordered certain coopers
not to build any fire in their cooper-shop chimneys until they were repaired to the satis-
faction of the selectmen. Lieut. Richard Way (1642) is the first cooper named. This
was a precaution against fire, which, however, did occur, and March 26, 1677, Lieut.
Richard Way (1642) was allowed four pounds for his stable which was pulled down

Richard Stowers (1642). Authorities: Vol. L, pp. 738, 739; Savage's Edition of Win-
Savage's Gen. Diet.; Wyman's Charlestown Gene- throp's Hist, of New Eng.; Fox's Hist, of Dun-



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 19 of 73)