Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 21 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 21 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


causey leading to Charlestown," which lasted over one hundred and eighty years. His
house was on the lot now the corner of North and Union streets.

Edward Fletcher (1643). Authorities: of Dorchester, by Anliq. and Hist. Soc; New Eng.

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1862, 186S; Sav- Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1851; Savage's Gen. Diet,
age's Gen. Diet.; Calamy, II., 330; Boston Rec- John Hill (1643). Authorities: Savage's

ords. Gen. Diet.; New Eng Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S62;

John Gurnell (1643). Authorities: Hist. Snow's Hist, of Boston.



>/^



Jonn uurneu (.1043;. authorities: rust. pnow s rust. 01 uosion. /.>— J^






1643-4] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



131



Atherton Hough (1643) was mayor of Boston, England, in 1628, and an alderman
there in 1633, when he decided to come to America with his minister, Rev. John Cotton.
Mr. Hough (1643) arrived at Boston with his wife, Elizabeth, in the "Griffin," Sept. 4,
1633, became a freeman March 4, 1634, and was -chosen an assistant in 1635. On
account of his antinomian tendencies he was not chosen assistant in 1637, but Boston
elected him a deputy in 1637 and 1638. He was present when the charter of the
Military Company of the Massachusetts was granted. June 8, 1638, he was fined live
shillings for absence when the General Court was called. He advanced fifty pounds
to aid the colony, and in 1641 he was granted by the General Court four hundred acres
of land in lieu thereof. His wife died Oct. 14, 1643, and he married another at Wells,
who was received into the First Church, Boston, April 4, 1646.

Jan. 4, 1635, Mr. Hough (1643) was granted by the town of Boston six hundred
acres of land at Mount Wollaston, which grant was soon after increased to seven
hundred acres.

He was chosen selectman of Boston Sept. 28, 1640, for the six months following.
His residence was on the southerly side of School Street, near Washington. Beacon
Street, easterly end, was laid out on the 30th of March, 1640, by the following vote :
"Also it is ordered y' y° streete from Mr. Atherton Haulghes [1643] to y^' Gentry Hill
be layd out & soe kept open forever." The foregoing order established the whole of
School Street, and Beacon Street as far as the present State House.

He died Sept. 11, 1650, leaving a widow, Susanna, and one son. Rev. Samuel
Hough, of Reading.

Thomas Jones ( 1643) came from England to Dorchester in 1635, aged forty years.
He was one of the first signers of the church covenant in 1636, was admitted to be a
freeman March 13, 1638, and the same year was a deputy; also in 1639 and 1649. He
was elected selectman in 1636, and often during the thirty years after; also, in 1661, a
commissioner " to end small causes." He lived near the hill called by his name, and
died "Nov. 13, 1667, aged 75 years," according to his gravestone. Col. Stoughton
(1637) called him, in his will, " My loving friend Jones."

Henry Maudsley (1643), now Moseley, of Braintree, came in the "Hopewell" in
163s, aged twenty-four years. "Henry Moseley, of Dorchester in 1630, had a house-lot
granted him in that town, Sept. 10, 1637," according to the History of Dorchester, " and
was afterward in Boston and Braintree." Feb. 24, 1639-40, he was granted by the town
of Boston twelve acres, at three shillings per acre. Henry Maudsley (1643) bought,
about 1653, the lot on the corner of Hanover and Union streets, which Dr. Shurtleff
identifies as the home of Franklin's father.

Samuel Moseley, the renowned Indian fighter, who joined the Artillery Company in
1672, was a son of Henry (1643).

Atherton Hough (1643). Authorities: Sav- men, — ('apt. Gibbons (1637) and William Tyng

age's Gen. Diet.; Records of Boston, 1634-1660; (1638).

Records of Mass. Bay; Savage's Edition of Win- Thomas Jones (1643). Authorities: New

throp's Hist, of New Eng. Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1851, 1852, 1861 (will);

This name is plainly Hough on the oldest roll. Savage's Gen. Diet.; Hist, of Dorchester, by Antiq.

It is the same on the transcript of 1745; but some and Flist. Soc. ; Records of Mass. Bay.
one added "es" to the name, and Mr. Whitman Henry Maudsley (1643). Authorities:

(iSio) translated Houghes to be Hewes. Mr. Shurtleff 's Topog. Des. of Boston, p. 628; Savage's

Hough's (1643) sureties were two very prominent Gen. Diet.; Boston Records.



132 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1643-4

Francis Norton (1643) was of Portsmouth, N. H., in 1631. "After the death of
Capt. Mason, his widow and executrix sent over Francis Norton [1643] as her general
attorney, to whom she committed the whole management of the estate. But the expenses
so far exceeded the income, and the servants grew so impatient for their arrears, that she
was obliged to relinquish the care of the plantation, and tell the servants that they must
shift for themselves : upon which they shared the goods and cattle. Mr. Norton [1643]
drove above an hundred oxen to Boston, and there sold them for twenty-five pounds
sterling per head, which, it is said, was the current price of the best cattle in New Eng-
land at the time. He did not return to New Hampshire, but took up his residence in
Charlestown " in 1637, when the town voted, "Mr. Francis Norton is admitted a
Townsman, if he please." He was admitted to be a freeman May 18, 1642. In 1646,
he was lieutenant of the Charlestown train-band, and in 1655 was promoted to be its
captain. In 1652, he was appointed to act as major of the Middlesex Regiment during
the absence of Major Robert Sedgwick (1637). The same year the General Court
appointed a committee of ten persons to attend to the repairing of the Castle, nine of
whom were members of the Artillery Company. Francis Norton (1643) ^^^s one of the
committee. In 1646, he visited England. He was deputy from Charlestown to the
General Court in 1647, 1650, and from 1652 to 1661 inclusive, except 1656 and 1657.
He was elected first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1644 and 1645, ensign in 1647,
lieutenant in 1650, and captain in 1652 and 1655. " He was," says Johnson, "a man of
bold and cheerful spirit, well disciplined, and an able man"; also, " one of a cheerful
spirit, and full of love to the truth." He died July 27, 1667.

Peter Oliver (1643), of Boston, son of Elder Thomas, was a brother of Capt. James
Oliver (1637), of John (1638), and of Samuel (1648). He was grandfather of Capt.
Nathaniel Oliver (171 7). Peter Oliver (1643) was born in England about 161S, and
came over with his father in 1632. He married Sarah, daughter of John Newgate. He
was an eminent trader; was admitted to be a freeman May 13, 1640, and was selectman
of Boston from 1653 to 1656 inclusive, and from 1661 to 1670 inclusive.

One of the first contributions which Boston and Massachusetts ever made for suffer-
ing communities was made in 1667, when an appeal was sent to Major-Gen. John Leverett
(1639) by a starving settlement near the mouth of Cape Fear River, North Carolina.
Peter Oliver (1643) and Mr. John Bateman, of Boston, were appointed by the General
Court to receive and forward all contributions.

He was one of the founders of the Third, or Old South, Church, in May, 1669. In
the Records of Selectmen of Boston, March 28, 1653, he is called "Cornet Peeter
Oliver." He held the position of cornet in the Suffolk County troop of horse in 1652,
and after his decease he was succeeded by Thomas Brattle (1675). He was lieutenant
in the Narraganset expedition in 1654, under Major Willard. He was second sergeant
of the Artillery Company in 165 1, ensign in 1658, and captain in 1669. He died
April II, 1670, while occupying the latter office.'

Francis Norton (1643). Authorities: Savage's Gen. Diet. ; Recuvds of Mass. Bay; Hill's

Frolhingham's Hist, of Charlestown; Savage's Gen. Hist, of Old South Church.
Diet.; Records of Mass. Bay. ' " 70. 2"" iid. Mr I'cter Oliver died and was

Peter Oliver (164J). Authorities: New \amented by a\\ men" — A'oA/'ur^ C/iii>r/i Mei:or,/s.
Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1865; Oliver Genealogy;



•643-4] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 33

John Plympton (1643), of Dedham in 1642; but probably came over some years
before, as Dr. George Alcock, of Roxbury, in his will of Dec. 22, 1640, mentions his
apprentice, John Plympton (1643). He was admitted to be a freeman May 10, 1643,
and married, at Dedham, March 13, 1644, Jane Daman, or Damon, of Dedham. He
moved from Dedham to Medfield in 1652. His house-lot was on Main Street, where
William Kingsbury now lives. His field was on the south side of the street, opposite his
house. In the spring of 1673, he emigrated to Deerfield, and, when King Philip's War
began, he was the chief military officer in Deerfield. Mr. Plympton (1643) was captured
by the Indians, Sept. 19, 1677, carried toward Canada, and subsequently killed. One
report says he was burned at the stake by the savages near Chambly.

Hugh Pritchard (1643) was of Gloucester in 1642, and moved to Roxbury soon
after. He was admitted to be a freeman May 18, 1642, and joined the church in Rox-
bury, "being recommended from the church at Cape Ann." He was deputy from
Roxbury in 1643, 1644, and 1649. According to Mr. Johnson (1637), Capt. Pritchard
(1643) was captain of the Roxbury train-band in 1644. May 6, 1646, Mr. Hugh Pritch-
ard (1643) was freed by the General Court from common training at Roxbury for twelve
months. Winthrop says, May 26, 1647, " Capt. Weld [1637], of Roxbury, being dead, the
young men of the town agreed together to choose one George Denison, a young soldier lately
out of the wars in England, but the ancient and chief men of the town . . . chose one
Mr. Prichard [1643], . . . whereupon much discontent and murmuring arose in the town."
"The cause coming to the Court, and all parties being heard, Mr. Prichard [1643] was
allowed, and the young men were pacified, and the lieutenant." Mr. Pritchard (1643)
was sent in 1643, with Humfrey Atherton (1638), on an embassy to the Narraganset
and Niantick Indians. In 1657, Capt. Hugh Pritchard (1643) sold his estate of fifty
acres, " lying west of Stony River and east of the highway to Muddy River," to John
Pierpont. Capt. Pritchard (1643) was one of the founders of the free school in Roxbury,
and went home about 1650 to Wales, his native country. In the deed written in
1657, his attorneys describe him as of Broughton, in the county of Denbigh.

William Robinson (1643), of Dorchester in 1636, was admitted to be a freeman
May 18, 1642, having joined the church in 1638. He was granted land there in 1656,
and was a "rater" in 1658 and 1661. He bought the tide-mill, now known as Tiles-
ton's Mill, on Smelt Brook Creek. He went to England in 1644, and returned the
same year. Mr. Robinson (1643) was killed July 6, 1668, by being drawn under the
cog-wheel of his mill.

John Scarborough (1643), of Roxbury in 1639, was admitted to be a freeman May
13, 1640. The Roxbury Records, as printed by the Boston Record Commissioners,

John Plympton (1643). Authorities: Ded- John Scarborough (1643). Authorities:

ham Records; Tildcn's Hist, of Medfield. Drake's Hist, of Roxbury; Savage's Gen. Diet.

Hugh Pritchard (1643). Authorities: Rec- "Peter Gardiner, of Roxbury, testifies that

orils of Mass. Bay; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Savage's Mary Torreys first husband, John Scarborough,

Edition of Winthrop's Hist, of New Eng.; Dral<e's was killed at Boston, shooting off one of the great

Hist, of Roxbury. guns." — AV-.v Eii^^. Ifisl. and Cell. Kfg., 1SS6,

William Robinson (1643). Authorities: /. 63.
New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S51, t858 (will), This accident occurred " 4 mo, 9 day," instead

iSSo; Hist, of Dorchester, by Antiq. and Hist. See; of " 9 mo., 4 day," as stated in the Mem. Hist, of

Savage's Gen. Diet. Boston, \'ol. L



134 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ['643-4

Vol. VI., p. 32, define his property. His neighbors were Isaac Morrill (1638) and Isaac
Johnson (1645). The Roxbury Church Records inform us, "4 mo., 9 day, 1646,"
"John Scarborough slaine by charging a great gunn."

Benjamin Smith (1643), of Dedham, was born about 1612. He became a freeman
June 2, 1641, and joined the Dedham church jMay 28, 1641. He married, July 10, 1641,
Mary Clarke, of Dedham. He signed the Dedham covenant, and was granted six acres
of upland in 1642. His son, Benjamin, was born in that town Oct. 18, 1646, after which
trace of the father is lost. His sureties were both Dedham men, viz. : Lieut. Lusher
(1638) and Sergt. Fisher (1640).

John Smith (1643), of Dedham, was probably related to Benjamin (1643). On
the oldest roll of the Company, there are the names of four persons who joined the
Company at the same time. They are enclosed by a bracket, and opposite are the
names oi the two sureties for each of the four persons. The sureties are both Dedham
men, and three of the four recruits were citizens of Dedham. It would seem most
probable that the fourth person was, also. John Smith (1643), of Dedham, was a farmer ;
by wife, Margaret, he had a son born July 5, 1644, and the father died Aug. 14, 1645.

Samuel Titterton (1643). This name is. plainly written on the oldest roll,
"Sam' Titterton," but no trace of him has been found.

Robert Turner (1643). He joined the Military Company of the Massachusetts
first in 1640. See page in.

William Ware (1643), of Dorchester in 1633, became a freeman May 10 of that
year. In 1644 and 1652, he purchased additional properties in Dorchester. At about
the latter date he removed to Boston. He was by trade a shoemaker, and was admitted
to be a townsman in Boston Jan. 31, 1653. In 1657, his taxes were abated "upon
consideration of his long sickness and low estate." He died Feb. 11, 1658. Abstract
of his will, dated March 26, 1656, and proved April i, 1658, is given in the New England
Historical and Genealogical Register, VIII., 353.

John Webb (1643), of Boston, was admitted to the church Feb. 9, 1634, when he
was called a single man. He probably went home soon after, and returned to America
June 3, 1635. He was a husbandman, said to be from Marlborough, Wilts County,
England, and had an alias, " Evered," probably to delude the tyrannical formalities.
He was admitted a freeman Dec. 7, 1636, and became oiie of the early settlers of
Chelmsford. He was ensign of a military company there, and represented that town
at the General Court in 1663, 1664, and 1665. In the year last named, he was expelled
and disfranchised for a season, but was soon restored, and had a grant of land. He was
at Dracut in 1667, at which time he held the office of captain. He died Oct. 16, 1668.

Benjamin Smith (1643). Authority: Decl- Soc; Savage's Gen. Diet.; New Eng. Hist, antl

ham Records. Gen. Reg., 1SS7.

John Smith (1643). AuTitcnuTY: Dedham John Webb (1643). Authorities: Savage's

Records. Gen. Diet.; Records of Mass. Bay; Whitman's

William Ware (1643). Authorities: Boston Hist. A. and H. A. Company; Report of Boston

Records; Hist, of Dorctiester, by Antiq. and Hist. Rec. Com., Vol. VI., p. 207.



'644-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



135



Rev. Samuel Danforth, in his records, says, "17"' 8'" 68 John Web, alias Everit,
pursuing a Whale, was caught in y'' rope, twisted about his middle, & being drawn into
y'' sea, was drowned."

Robert Wright (1643) appears to have been in Boston from 1643 to 1655, where
by wife, Mary, he had four children; also in 1656, when he was chosen surveyor of
highways. .



^ The officers elected were : Thomas Hawkins (1638), captain ; Robert

I OZLzl" ^. Bridges (1641), lieutenant, and Thomas Wells (1644), ensign. Francis
' ' «-^ Norton (1643) was first sergeant; Eleazer Lusher (1638), second ser-
geant; James Johnson (1638), third sergeant, and Thomas Clarke (1644), fourth ser-
geant. Anthony Stoddard (1639) was clerk, John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Arthur
Perry (1638), drummer.

Capt. Hawkins (1638) was lieutenant of the Artillery Company in 1642, was
re-elected in 1643, 'ind promoted to be captain in 1644, "being the only instance," says
Mr. Whitman (1810), "known of the like in the Company." He lived on Rock Hill,
afterwards called Savin Hill, in Dorchester, where the first fort was built, and where
" ye Great Guns " were mounted.

In 1644, the Massachusetts train-bands were organized into thirty companies, one
in each town, which were massed into four regiments, bearing the names of as many
counties, which, to exhibit to posterity that " they remembered from whence they
came," were called Suffolk, Essex, Middlesex, and Norfolk or Northfolk. The last-
named was composed of towns which are now principally within the limits of the State
of New Hampshire.

Each company had its captain, lieutenant, and ensign, chosen by a majority vote ;
and the officers of companies in each regiment elected a sergeant-major, who was its
commander. The commander-in-chief, or sergeant-major-general, was elected by the
General Court.

The first sergeant-major-general, who was elected in 1644, was Thomas Dudley,
whose name is subscribed to the charter of the Artillery Company as deputy governor,
but who never was a member, though several of his descendants have been. Thomas
Dudley was the son of Capt. Roger Dudley, who was " slain in the wars." He served
gallantly when a young man as the captain of a company of Englishmen in the service
of France, who followed the white plume of Henry of Navarre at the siege of Amiens.
Later in life he became a strict Puritan, and when he was fifty-four years of age he came

In 1636, Charlestown paid Capts. PalricU and writers speak in high terms of the skill displayed at

Underbill (1637) twenty shillings a time for train- the general musters. There was one in May, 1639,

ing its company. that lasted a day, when more than a thousand sol-

" But there were no such expenses after Robert diers, alile men, well armed and exerciscil, were in

Sedgwick [1637] and Francis Norton [1643], both Boston; and another, Sept. 15, 1641, which Lasted

distinguished military men as well as enterprising two days, when there were over twelve hundred;

merchants, became inhabitants. and though there was 'plenty of wine and strong

" Edward Johnson [1637] speaks of ' the very beer,' yet, such is the testimony, there was ' no man

gallant horse troop ' of this town in 1644. Francis drunk, no oath sworn, no quarrel, no hurt done.'

Norton [1643] at that time commanded the foot This was the golden age of New England musters."

company, Ralph Sprague [1638] was the lieutenant, — Fyol/iingkaiii's Hisl. of Charlisloion, /. 97.
and Abraham Palmer [1638J the ensign. The early



136 HISTORY OF TliE ANCIENT AND ['644-5

to New England as deputy governor under Cxov. Winthrop. He held this office in
1630, and frequently until 1641 ; but in 1644, when he was sixty-eight years of age, he
was chosen sergeant-major-general. It was said that "his faithfulness in office, great
zeal in the affairs of the colony, distinguished military talents and love of the truths of
Christ, led the people to choose him as their major-general, although he was far stricken
in years." The three sergeant-majors of 1644 whose names have been preserved
were members of the Artillery Company, and of the thirty-fou* captains, lieutenants,
and ensigns on the roster of the Massachusetts Militia in 1644, whose names have been
handed down, twenty-four were members of this Company.

The civil war in England began in August, 1642, when the swords of the contend-
ing factions were first drawn. On one side were the king and his adherents, on the
other. Parliament with its forces, svhich were at first led by the Earl of Essex. The Earl
was not fitted for a commander-in-chief, having " little energy and no originality." In
1643, the Independents arose, of whom Oliver Cromwell became the soul and inspiration.
He "looked for recruits," says Macaulay, "who were not mere mercenaries, — for
recruits of decent station, and grave character, fearing God and zealous for public
liberty." Such were the recruits of Massachusetts Bay, who quickly and cheerfully
volunteered under the standard of the "lord of the fens."

There is a tradition that a regiment of cavalry, — probably it was a company, — called
" Cromwell's Own," enlisted in the Colony of Massachusetts Bay, and, crossing the
ocean, fought upon the side of Parliament. We regret that if there is any information
concerning this regiment or company in the archives of the British empire, it has been
unobtainable.

The following- named members of the Military Company of the Massachusetts Bay
are known to have been of the number who espoused on the battle-field the cause
represented by Oliver Cromwell : —

Col. George Cooke (1638). Major Benjamin Keayne (163S).

Col. John Leverett (1639). Major Samuel Shepard (1640).

Col. William Rainsburrow (1639). Surgeon Francis Lyall (1640).

Col. Stephen Winthrop (1641). Capt. William Hudson (1640).

Lieut.-Col. Israel Stoughton (1637). Capt. Thomas Marshall (1640).

Major Nehemiah Bourne (1638). Ensign Thomas Huckens (1637).

It is a matter of record that many others, members of the Military Company of the
Massachusetts, went to England between 1640 and 1647, but it is not known who of
them engaged in military service.

The new members recruited in 1644-5 were: Thomas Adams, Herman Adwood,
John Arnold, Theodore Atkinson, John Baker, George Barstow, Henry Bridgham, William
Burcham, John Butler, Thomas Clarke [Jr.], George Clifford, Robert Crosman, Andrew
Duren, George Fairbanks, Henry Farnham, Anthony Fisher, Ralph Fogg, Robert Hale,
Anthony Harris, David Kelly, Henry Kibby, Edward Larkin, Nathaniel Manwarring,
Moses Paine, Thomas Phillips, William Phillips, John Read, John Richards, Thomas
Roberts, Richard Russell, Peter Saltonstall, John Smith, Joshua Tedd, John Tuttle, Isaac
Walker, Robert Ware, Thomas Wells, Hugh Williams, Nathaniel Williams, Robert
Williams, Deane Winthrop, John Woodbridge.



'^44-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 37

Thomas Adams (1644), of Braintree, son of Henry, came to America with his
parents in 1632, was admitted to be a freeman May 10, 1643, and removed to Concord
in 1646. In 1657, he settled in Chehnsford, where he was the first town clerk. He was
a selectman, and also represented that town in the General Court, 1673. He was
elected ensign of the foot company at Chelmsford in 1678, and was its lieutenant in
1682. He died July 20, 1688, aged seventy-six years.

Herman Adwood (1644), of Boston in 1642, came from Sanderstead, Surrey County,
England, in the employment of Thomas Buttolph, a leather-dresser. He was admitted
to be a townsman Dec. 26, 1642, joined the church Feb. 24, 1644, and became a free-
man in 1645. He married, Aug. 11, 1646, Ann, daughter of William Copp. He died
in 165 1. His son, John, joined the Artillery Company in 1673.

John Arnold (1644), of Boston in 1639, was a plasterer. He was admitted to be
a freeman May 10, 1643, and was unmarried when he united with the First Church,
April 22, 1643. He died prior to Oct. 29, 1661, when the administrator of his estate
entered a claim to certain lands in Boston as the property of the deceased. His house
and garden were west of Hanover Street and north of Mill Creek. He had a grant of
land, Feb. 24, 1639.

Theodore Atkinson (1644), of Boston in 1634, felt maker, came in the employ-
ment of John Newgate, from Bury, England. He joined the First Church Jan. 11, 1635,
and became a freeman May iS, 1642. He was one of the founders and members of the
Old South Church. His son, Theodore, — a sergeant in Capt. Davenport's (1639) com-
pany, — was killed in the great Indian fight of Dec. 19, 1675. Theodore, Sr. (1644), had
a grant of land in 1640 at Muddy River, and subsequently was a constable, 1649, and
clerk of the market, 1655. In 1645, he bought of Thomas Hawkins (1638) a house on
Court Street, south side, on the second lot from the corner of Washington Street. In
1652, he bought another, near the present line of Bromfield Street, which he sold to
Edward Rawson, colonial secretary ; hence Rawson's Lane, now Bromfield Street.
Theodore Atkinson died in August, 1701, aged eighty-nine years.

John Baker (1644), of Boston, a blacksmith, was admitted to be an inhabitant of
Boston March 28, 1642, and to be a freeman May 18, 1642. He married Joan Swift, of
Dorchester. By his will, it appears that he had a second wife, Thankful Foster ; that he
was part owner of the ships " Hercules " and " Mary," the latter being commanded by
Capt. Joseph Rock (1658). Hopestill Foster (1673) was his brother-in-law, and Richard
Baker (1658) was his brother. His will was signed March 26, 1665-6, and the inventory
was taken July 3, 1666.

George Barstow (1644), of Boston, son of Matthew, of Shelf, York County, England,



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 21 of 73)