Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 24 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 24 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Oct. I, 16 1 S, Elizabeth Woodthrope. He probably married a second wife. His last
child, born in P'ngland, was born Feb. 4, 1641-2. Rev. John Wheelwright was his
brother-in-law. William, Samuel (1652), Richard, and Edward Hutchinson, Sr., were
his brothers, and Edward (1638) his nephew, all of Boston. Whether he followed his
relatives to America is a matter of uncertainty.'

Isaac Johnson (1645), of Roxbury, was the eldest son of Capt. John Johnson
(1638), of Roxbury. Capt. John (1638) came in the fleet with Winthrop, bringing his
wife and sons, Isaac and Humfrey. Isaac was admitted to be a freeman March 4, 1635,
and became a member of the Roxbury church. He married, Jan. 30, 1637, Elizabeth
Porter, of Roxbury, who died Aug. 13, 1683. He was ensign of the company in Rox-
bury previous to 1653; on June 13 of that year was elected captain, and represented
that town in the General Court in 1671. He was lieutenant of the Artillery Company in
1666, and its captain in 1667. On July 6, 1675, a body of fifty-two Praying Indians,
Rev. John Eliot's converts, marched from Boston for Mount Hope under the intrepid
Capt. Isaac Johnson (1645), of Roxbury, who afterwards certified that the most of them
acquitted themselves courageously and faithfully. He, with five other captains, was
killed while storming the Narraganset stronghold, when that fierce tribe was destroyed at
the famous Fort fight, Dec. 19, 1675.

Daniel Kilhen (1645) should probably be Daniel Kilham (1645), whom Mr. Savage
locates in Wenhara, Mass.

Clement Koldom, or Coldam (1645), of Lynn in 1630, was a miller, born in 1622,
and died April 8, 1675. He took oath, May 26, 1661, that he had known William
Longley at Lynn for twenty-three years. " His recollection of matters pertaining to
[Lynn's] very early days," says Mr. Newhall, of that city, "seems to have been much
relied on in after years, his testimony having great weight in several important lawsuits.
Not much is known of his military achievements."

Isaac Johnson (■1645"). Authorities: Sav- Clement Koldom (1645). Authorities:

age's Gen. Diet.; Drake's Hist, of Roxbury; Rec- Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company; Savage's

ords of Mass. Bay; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., Gen. Diet.
1885, p. 74. ' New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S47, 1S65.



152



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1645-6



Thomas Lothrop (1645), of that part of Salem now Beverly, became a freeman
May 14, 1634; was lieutenant of the Salem train-band in 1644, under Capt. Hathorne,
and succeeded him in command in 1645. He represented Salem in the House of
Deputies in 1647, 1653, and 1664. In 1654, a colonial force proceeded to Acadia and
captured Port Royal and St. John. Capt. Thomas Lothrop (1645) was a captain under
Gen. Sedgwick (1637) in that expedition. He brought home a bell, taken from a
church in St. John, for the use of the people at Cape Ann Side (Beverly). In 1662,
he took command of the military company at Cape Ann Side. He was one of the
founders of the church there, in 1667, and represented the town in the Legislature
for four years. He was active in military matters, and served as captain for years.
He held that ofifice in King Philip's War, and, with about seventy of his men, was slain
at Bloody Brook, Sept. 18, 1675. Increase Mather calls him "a godly courageous
commander."

He married Bethia Rea, of Salem, but left no children. His property was inherited
by his sister, Ellen, the second wife of Ezekiel Cheever, the famous school-master.

William Lyon (1645), of Roxbury, came to America in 1635, aged fourteen years,
in the "Hopewell," and became a freeman in i656. He, with John Bowles (1645) and
others, signed the Roxbury petition, Oct. 25, 1664, to the General Court, praying it to
" stand fast in our present liberty's." Bellevue Street, in Roxbury, was formerly Lyon
Street, in honor of this early settler, on which stood the old homestead. He died
May 21, 1692.

Henry Parkes (1645).

Thomas Rashley (1645), of Boston, was admitted to the First Church March 8,
1640, and is called "a studyent " The next year he was in Gloucester for a short time
as a preacher. His child, John, "being about six weeks old," was baptized at Boston
May 18, 1645. He was settled in Exeter in 1646. Soon after, he returned to England,
and was minister at Bishop Stoke, where. May 4, 1652, he baptized Samuel Sewall
(1679), first of that name, chief-justice of Massachusetts. Rev. Thomas Rashley (1645)
was afterward settled in Wiltshire, England.

Joshua Scottow (1645), of Boston, " chirurgeon," came to America with his
widowed mother, and he joined the First Church May 19, 1639. He never took the
oath of a freeman, but was appointed by the General Court, in 1645, a commissioner
for regulating the exportation of powder. He was clerk of the Artillery Company in
1650 and 165 1, and its ensign in 1657. Capt. Scottow (1645) was one of the founders
of the Old South Church in May, 1669. His garden, consisting of about one half an
acre of land, and his house were situated on Sudbury Street. He owned several other
pieces of real estate in the town. He was a selectman of Boston from 1657 to 1667

Thomas Lothrop (1645). Authorities: Joshua Scottow (1645). Authorities: New

Felt's Annals of Salem, Vol. II., p. 504; Bodge's Eng. Hist, and Gen, Reg,, 1S51, 18S9; Savage's
King Philip's War. Gen. Diet.; Boston Records; Memoir of Joshua

William Lyon ('1645). Authorities: Re- Scottow, by Hamilton A. Hill; Hill's Hist, of c)ld
port of Boston Rec. Com., Vol. VI.; Drake's Hist. South Church,
of Roxbury.

Thomas Rashley (1645). Authority: Sav-
age's Gen. Diet.



'645-6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 53

inclusive. Of his daughters, Elizabeth married Lieut. -Col. Thomas Savage (1665),
Lydia married (i) Benjamin Gibbs (1666) and (2) Anthony Checkley (1662), and
Mary married Samuel Checkley (1678).

Joshua Scottow (1645) was a captain in the militia, the confidential agent of
La Tour in transactions with the colonial government, 1654-7, and after King Philip's
War had a large property at Scarborough, (now) Me. He was captain of the garrison
there, and held the office of magistrate. From Oct. 25, 1675, to May, 1676, he was
actively engaged in the Indian war, and his journal in manuscript, covering that period,
is in the library of the Massachusetts Historical Society.

In 1681, he was cruelly charged with the murder of a Mr. Bedford, who was proved
to be accidentally drowned.' He was the author of two curious tracts concerning the
early history of New England, which were published in Boston in 1691 and 1694.2 He
was an original, thoughtful, liberal man, a friend of the murdered Mrs. Hibbens. He
died Jan. 20, 1698, aged eighty-three years — so his gravestone relates, which was
transferred from the burying-ground to the inside of the tower of the "Old South," ^
and thence to the New Old South meeting-house.

Judge Sewall (1679) records: "Jan. 21 [1697-8]. It seems Capt Scottow died
the last night. Thus in New England men drop away. Jan 22 [1697-8] Joshua
Scottow is buried in the old burying place. E.xtream cold. No minister at funeral •
no wife nor daughter."

Elias Stileman (1645), of Salem, son of Elias, perhaps came in the fleet with
Higginson in 1629. Elias (1645) was then twelve years of age. He was admitted to
the Salem church Aug. 18, 1639, and became a freeman May 18, 1642. He removed
about 1659 to Portsmouth, and represented that town in the House of Deputies for six
years, 1667-72. He was authorized by the General Court to hold court in Dover and
Portsmouth in 1667, and in York County in 1668; was a counsellor under President
Cutt in 1680; a captain, then a major in the militia; representative again in 1690;
secretary of New Hampshire, and died Dec. 19, 1695, aged seventy-eight years. His
residence was for some years at Great Island, now Newcastle, N. H.

Israel Stoughton (1645), of Dorchester, eldest son of Lieut.-Col. Israel Stoughton
(1637), was born in England. Mr. Savage adds, "There is no more mention of him,
and he died before May, 1665." When admitted to the Artillery Company he was
called "Mr. Israel Stoughton," and his surety was Lieut. Savage (1637).

In the Records of the First Church in Roxbury, Mass., written by Rev. John Eliot,
is found the following entry: "1647. This spring we of Roxbury w"' some of Dor-

Elias Stileman (1645). AuxHORlTrES : .Sav- Three years later, he published A Narrative of

age's Gen. Diet.; Records of Mass. Bay. the Planting of the Massachusetts Colony.

' Maine Hist. Coll., HL '■> "A Venerable Relic in a Curious I'lace. — As

^ "Mr. Scottow [1645] was a merchant of the workmen engaged in repairing the Old South

much respectability, nearly contemporary with the Church were removing some bricks in the tower of

Governor [Bradslreetl, and, during his early life, that cdilice, on Monday morning, it became ncces-

took an active interest in all the affairs of the town. sary to take out a flat stone over the place in the

But he grew despondent as he grew in years; the wall through which the connecting-rod of the hands

change of dress, manners, and social customs, from of the north dial of the clock passed. This stone

those of the first generation, seemed to him the sure proved to be a finely-chiselled gravestone, bearing

presage of destruction, and he poured out his sorrow the name of Joshua Scottow, who die<l Jan. 20,

in a book of lamentations called Old Mens' Tears 1697-S." — Boston Atlas, Oetobcr, 1S50.
for their own Declensions." — Quoted in Hist. Cat.
of Old South Church, 1883.



154



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1646-7



^



Chester ventured to sea in a small vessell but the master wanted sufficient experience
& the vessel overmasted & was over-sett, & many weeks after came whole allmost,
ashore to shew the error of men to goe to sea so rawly : many \v cast away in her,
m"' Stoughton's eldest sonne [1645], M' Howards Eldest sonne w"' many others."

He is called Mrs. Stoughton's son because Lieut.-Col. Stoughton {1637), his father,
had died two years before, in England.

Thomas Venner (1645), ^ wine cooper, of Salem, was admitted to the church
Feb. 25, 163S, and the next month became a freeman. Mr. Felt, in the Annals of
Salem, says, under date of Junej 1641, "Thomas Venner [1645] at the head of a com-
pany, is zealous for emigrating to Providence, W. I., and strengthening a church there."
He moved to Boston prior to January, 1645, at which time his daughter Hannah was
born. She was baptized in the First Church, Feb. 2, 1644-5, and her father is called

" Venner member of Ch at Salem." He was in Boston in 1649-50 also, as

recorded in the Boston Records. In 1650, " loth of first mo.," "Mr. Venner and the
neighbors there about had libertie to dig a Well and Set a Pumpe therein, nere the
Shop of William Davis [1643]." Mr. Venner's (1645) place was on the water's edge,
near State Street, on wharf property owned by Edward Tyng (1642), whose brewery
probably received its barrels from the cooper shop of Mr. Venner (1645). ^^ 1648,
he was one of seven who asked the government to make a corporation of coopers.

He returned to London in October, 1651, and followed his trade of a cooper until
about 1657, when he became a preacher to a sect of enthusiasts called Fifth Monarchy
Men. After the Restoration in 1660, he attempted to renew the anarchy; ''to bring in
the kingdom of Jesus Christ and to drive out Charles Stuart.'-' He, with a small number
of followers, variously estimated at from fifty to five hundred, raised an insurrection in
the streets of London. The Lord Mayor marched at the head of forty thousand muni-
cipal troops and volunteers to quell the disturbance ; but, failing to find Mr. Venner
(1645) and his disciples, who had retreated to Caen Wood, the army pulled down the
meeting-house. It is said that Venner's "rogues" "put the King's life-guard to the
run," and " spread consternation through the entire collection of train-bands." Finally,
the insurrection was suppressed, the fanatics were captured, the formality of a trial was
granted them, and Mr. Venner (1645) and twelve of his associates, who declared
themselves invulnerable, were executed in January, 1661.

William Wale (1645).



^ , The officers elected were : Edward Gibbons (1637), captain ; Hum-

J Q^Q"'/'^ frey Atherton (1638), lieutenant; Eleazer Lusher (1638), ensign;
' ' Thomas French (1638), first sergeant; Richard Sprague (163S), second
sergeant ; James Oliver (1640), third sergeant ; William Hudson (1640), fourth sergeant;
Anthony Stoddard (1639), clerk; John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Arthur Perry
(1638), drummer.

Thomas Venner (1645). Autuoritiks: Pal- Charles E. Banks, of rortlanci. Me.
frey's Hist, nf New Eng. ; Diary of John Hull, pp. " He was hung, drawn, anil quartered in Lon-

200,201; See New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., I S93, don, 1661, as a Fifth Monarchy Man." — /-'i/ZV

illustrated article on Thomas Venner, the lioston Anuah of Salem, Vol. /., /. 173.
Wine Cooper and Fifth Monarchy Man, by Dr.



'646-7] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 55

The popularity and efficiency of Sergt. -Major Gibbons (1637) were shown by his
election for the third time as commander, while Ensign Humfrey Atherton (1638) was
promoted to the rank of lieutenant. Major Lusher (1638), of Dedham, who was elected
ensign, was one of the few " husbandmen " who have belonged to the Company. He
was known as the "nimble-footed captain," and Mr. Johnson (1637) says, " He was
one of a nimble and active spirit, strongly affected in the ways of truth — one of the
right stamp, and pure metal, a gracious, humble and heavenly minded man."

The North Battery, " att Walter Merry's Point," was commenced in 1646. Edward
Johnson (1637) speaks of it as " a very strong battery, built of whole timber and filled
with earth." It is now Battery Wharf.

In 1646, a number of those inclined to the Presbyterian faith, among them Thomas
Fowle (1639), David Yale (1640), Dr. Robert Child (1639), Samuel Maverick (1658),
and John Smith (1644), presented a petition to the General Court, in which they com-
pliment the government for its " eminent gifts, continual care, and constant vigilance."
There could be no question as to their " care and vigilance." The petitioners asked
permission to publicly worship God according to the dictates of their own consciences.

This unexpected movement produced the greatest excitement, and the petitioners
were at once cited to appear in person before the General Court. They were charged
with " contemptuous and seditious expressions, and were required to find sureties for
their good behaviour." The case came before an adjourned session of the General Court
for final settlement, when the petitioners, having been convicted of violating " the rule
of the apostle," which is, " to study to be quiet and to meddle with your own business " ;
and having been reminded of " that sin of Korah, and of the near resemblance between
theirs and that," were fined respectively in sums varying from thirty to fifty pounds.

These petitioners then determined to appeal to Parliament, and Dr. Child (1639), one
of their number, who had been engaged for some time in studying the mineral wealth of
Massachusetts, was appointed to go at once to England and prosecute their appeal there.
This, however, coming to the knowledge of the authorities, they arrested the doctor, took
from him his papers, and kept him in confinement for two or three days until the ships
were gone. Mr. Winthrop complains, with much sadness, that, on this occasion. Dr.
Child (1639), "a man of quality, a gentleman and a scholar," as he terms him, mani-
fested a somewhat undue amount of passion, and "gave big words."

Two other persons, in the meantime, — Mr. Vassall and Mr. Fowle (1639), —
.managed to slip away, with the obnoxious papers in their possession, and embarked for
England. Just before they sailed, Mr, Cotton delivered a Thursday lecture, in which he
took occasion to inveigh against the enormous wickedness that must possess the man
who would dare to go abroad on such an errand, and warned such of his hearers as
might be about to cross the sea, against the perils they might expect to encounter if
these seditious documents should happen to be on board the ship ; adding that they
would prove to be a Jonas to the voyage. "A storm did arise," says Mr. Blake in his
History of Boston, " and a certain woman on board, who had heard Mr. Cotton's sermon,
ran about the ship in much consternation," anxious to find out if there was a Jonas on
board. "She gave Mr. Vassal a call at midnight. He asked her why she came to him.
Because, she said, it was thought he had some writings against the people of God. He
told her that he had only a petition to Parliament, merely praying that they might enjoy
the liberty of English subjects." She next paid Mr. Fowle (1639) a visit. He told her
he had a copy of the petition which himself and others had presented to the court at



156 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1646-7

Boston ; and said that, if she and others judged that to be the cause of the storm, they
might have it, and do what they would with it. She took the paper to her companions,
who, after consultation, decided that it should be cast overboard. It was not observed,
however, that the giving of the document to the sea was followed by any favorable change
in the weather, although, after a perilous passage, she reached the shores of England in
safety, where Messrs. Vassall and Fowle (1639) published the genuine papers with which
they were charged, under the title, " New England's Jonas Cast Up in London."

The new members recruited in 1646-7 were: George Barber, William Blake,
Edmund Bowker, John Capen, Roger Clap, William Clark, Hugh Gunnison, Richard
Harding, Richard Harrison, Edmund Jackson, Nathaniel Newgate, William Parsons,
Brian Pendleton, Edward Preston, John Ruggles, John Shaw, Richard Whittington.

George Barber (1646), of Dedham, was born in England about 1615. He came
to America in the "Transport" in 1635. He became a townsman in Dedham in 1640,
took the freeman's oath in 1647, and soon after settled in what is now Medfield. In
November, 1641, he contracted with the selectmen of Medfield to build a mill, " for the
supply of the town," which he did on Mill Brook,- near where Elm Street crosses it.
The ne.xt year he sold the mill to Henry Adams (1652). Oct. 26, 1652, the General
Court ordered that the town of " Medfield, being not capable of choosing commissioned
officers, the Court doth grant that George Barber [1646] whom they have chosen as
eldest sergeant, shall carry on the military exercise there." He was promoted to be
captain of the foot company prior to 1678. In 1663, he "beat the drum," and received
from the town therefor four bushels and three pecks of corn.

He served ten years on the board of selectmen of Medfield, and was a representative
from that town to the General Court nine years, viz., 1668, 1669, 1673, 1676, 1677, and
1679 to 1682. He married, (i) Nov. 24, 1642, Elizabeth Clark, who died in 1683;
and (2) Joan (Faxon), widow of Anthony Fisher (1644), of Dedham. Capt. Barber
(1646) died in 1683.

William Blake (1646), of Dorchester, came over in the " Mary and John" from
Little Baddow, Essex County, England, arriving at Nantasket May 30, 1630. He was
born in England in 1594 ; joined the church at Dorchester in 1636 ; was granted land in
1637 ; admitted to be a freeman March 14, 163S-9, and was a selectman in 1645, 1647, and
1651. In 1636, he went with Pynchon to Springfield, but remained less than a year.
He lived in that part of Dorchester which, in 1662, was incorporated as Milton. He was
the " Recorder for y" Towne, Clerk of y^' Writs for y'^ Co. of Suffolk, 1656," in which
office he continued until his death. He was a very useful and prominent citizen. He
died Oct. 25, 1663. By his will, dated Sept. 3, 1 661, he gave "Vnto y' Towne of Dor-
chester, ^20. to be bestowed for y'^ repairing of y*" Burying Place, so y' swine and other
verniine may not Anoy y' graues of y'' saints."

Edmund Bowker (1646), of Dorchester, is recorded in the History of Dorchester.
He married Mary Potter, of that town, and removed to Sudbury, where he died in
March, 1666.

George Barber (1646). Authorities: xVew Eng. Ilist. and Gen. Reg, 1858, p. 153 (will); 1S67,

Eng. Hist, and Cen. Reg., 1S4S; Records of Mass. p. 292; Hist, of IJorchestei', liy Antiq. and Hist.

Hay; Tildcn's Hist, of Medfield; Savage's Gen. Diet. Soc.; Ilurd's Hist, of Middlesex Co., Vol. HI., p.

William Blake (1646). Authorities: New 398; Teele's Hist, of Milton.



1646-7! HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 57

John Capen (1646), of Dorchester, only son of Bernard Capen, of Dorchester, was
born in England in 1612. He was admitted a freeman May 14, 1634 ; was a deacon of
the church in 1658; elected selectman of Dorchester for sixteen years; a representa-
tive in 1671, and from 1673 to 1678; town recorder for thirteen years, writing more in
the town records than any other man, and was fourth sergeant in the Artillery Company
in 1650. He was called lieutenant in 1674, and March 30, 1683, was elected captain of
the foot company in Dorchester. He was by trade a shoemaker, and his house is sup-
posed to have stood at the corner of Pleasant and Pond streets.

Capt. Capen (1646) married, (i) Oct. 20, 1637, Radigan Clap, who died Dec. 10,
1645 ; and, (2) Sept. 20, 1647, Mary Bass, of Braintree. He died April 6, 1692. It
was to Mr. Capen's (1646) house that Nicholas Upshall (1637) was "removed out of
prison, in 1661."

Roger Clap (1646'), of Dorchester in 1630, came in the " Mary and John " from
Plymouth, and arrived at Nantasket May 30 of that year. He was born April 6, 1609,
in Salcombe, on the coast of Devonshire, England. Roger Clap, in his Memoirs, mentions
that the passage over was made in seventy days, and the Word of God was preached and
expounded every day during the voyage. He was one of the original settlers of Dor-
chester. His autobiography is contained in his oft-published Memoirs. He was granted
land in 1633, and filled most of the important offices of the town at various times
from 1637 to 1665.

He was admitted a freeman in 1634, and was a founder of the church in Dorchester in
1630, of which he continued a member sixty years. He was lieutenant of the Dorchester
train-band in 1644, and was afterwards its captain. He was second sergeant of the
Artillery Company in 1647, and was its lieutenant in 1655. He was representative from
Dorchester in 1647, and from 1652 to 1665, — except 1658, — and in 1671; in all,
fifteen years. In 1659, the General Court granted him five hundred acres of land.

Aug. 10, 1665, immediately after the death of Capt. Davenport (1639), the General
Court appointed Capt. Clap (1646) to the command of Castle William, a position he
held until i586, when he resigned it. After the new charter, the command became a
sinecure, and was usually assigned to the lieutenant-governor. The fort was burned
March 21, 1672-3, when Capt. Clap (1646) commanded, but was immediately rebuilt.
He was of the ultra-Puritan school, and by no means tolerant of the innovations
attempted by the Antinomians and Quakers. It is said of him that his soldiers were
treated as of his own family, and none were permitted to be enlisted but pious as well
as brave men.

So greatly was he beloved by the people of Dorchester, that in the year 1676,
"when taken sick, they kept a day of fasting and prayer to beg his life of God, and,
when he recovered, a day of thanksgiving." He died Feb. 2, 1690-1, and his grave-
stone, in the chapel ground, is standing, on which his name is plainly legible. He was

John Capen (1646). Authorities: New the Castle; about nine Guns lired at his going off.

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 184S, p. 80; 1866, p. It seems Capt. Clap is nut actually come away, but

246; Hist, of Dorchester, by Antiq. and Hist. Soc.; Capt Winthrop, and Lieut Thomas Savage did this

Records of Mass. Bay. day receive their Commissions." — Scioall Papers,

Roger Clap (1646). Authorities: King's Vol. I., p. \^^.

Chapel Burial-Ground, by Bridgman, p. 239; Hist. Capt. Clap left the Castle .Sept. 29, 1686.

of Dorchester, by Antiq. and Hist. Soc; Savage's "[1690-1] Feb. 2. This morn Capt Roger

Gen. Diet.; Records of Mass. Bay. Clap dies, about 86 years o\A." — Si-iuall Papers,

" [1686] Sept. 24. Friday. Capt Clapp leaves Vol. I., p. 340.



158 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1646-7

buried with much pomp ; the military officers — probably the Artillery Company — pre-
ceding the corpse, the Governor and General Court following the relatives as mourners,



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 24 of 73)