Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 25 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 25 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and the guns firing at the Castle.

" In his natural temper he was of a cheerful and pleasant disposition, courteous and
kind in behaviour, free and familiar in his conversation, yet attended with proper
reservedness, and he had a gravity and presence that commanded respect."

William Clark (1646), of Dorchester, came over in the second emigration, 1635.
He was selectman in 1646, 1647, and 1650. He removed in 1659 to Northampton,
for which town he was representative in 1663, and for thirteen years afterward, but not
consecutively. He was commissioned by the General Court as lieutenant, Oct. 8, 1662,
and he held that position in active service in King Philip's War. In 1662, he was
authorized to solemnize marriages in Northampton, and in 1665 was elected an associate
judge of the Hampshire court.

Lieut. Clark (1646) died July 19, 1690, aged eighty-one years. His gravestone
still stands in the old burying-ground at Northampton.

Hugh Gunnison (1646), of Boston in 1634, was admitted to the First Church
March 22, 1635, when he is called "servant to our brother Richard Bellingham," and
became a freeman May 25, 1636. He was one of the persons disarmed in 1637, and
the same year had a grant of land at Mount Wollaston.

Feb. 28, 1642, Hugh Gunnison (1646) applied to the selectmen for permission to
keep an "Ordinary with a cook's shop," and in 1649 reference is made to his " signe
post." In 1650, Hugh Gunnison (1646) was called "a vintner." He was licensed by
the selectmen, and kept a tavern called King's Arms, on Dock Square, " facing to the
head of the Dock." He sold this tavern, with barns, brew-house, etc., and removed to
Kittery about 1652. May 18, 1653, he was licensed by the General Court to keep an
ordinary, and to sell wine and strong water. The same day the General Court appointed
him an associate commissioner in the court holden at Kittery.

He represented Wells in the General Court in 1654, and was returned as re-elected
in 1657, but for some reason he was considered by the court "vnmeete " for that trust,
and was discharged therefrom.

Richard Harding (1646) was of Boston in 1640. He is probably the Capt. Harding
mentioned several times in the Second Report of the Boston Record Commissioners.
Richard Harding's (1646) lot was that on which, in 1640, the new meeting-house for
the First Church was erected, now occupied by the Rogers Building, on Washington
Street.

Mr. Drake, in the History of Boston, p. 243, says Mr. Harding (1646) "was one
of the disarmed, went to Rhode Island and was a prominent man in that colony."

Richard Harrison (1646). On the record of 1680, this name is plainly written.
Richaril Harrison (1646) was probably a resident of New Haven, and joined the
Company while temporarily sojourning in Boston or vicinity. He died in New Haven,
Oct. 25, 1653.

William Clark (1646). Authorities: Pil- Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1880. p. 42; Records of
grinis of Boston, p. 310; Records of Mass. Bay. Mass. Bay; Boston Records, 1634-1660; Savage's

Hugh Gunnison (1646). Authorities : New Gen. Diet.



1646-7] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



159



Edmund Jackson (1646), of Boston in 1635, was a shoemaker, and joined the First
Church Nov. 15, 1635. He became a freeman May 25, 1636. He was chosen a sealer
of leather in 1647 and 1661, a constable in 1650, clerk of the market in 1657, and in
1673 was licensed to keep a house of public entertainment and sell beer, which was
repeatedly renewed. His will of May 2, 1675, was proved July j,8 following. He
was married three times, his second wife being Mary, daughter of Samuel Cole (1637).
His house and garden were on the corner of Hanover and Sudbury streets, where
during the provincial period, the Orange Tree Inn stood.

Nathaniel Newgate (1646), of Boston, son of John of the same, was born at South-
wark, near London Bridge, England, and came over with his parents in 1632. Nathaniel
(1646), before his marriage, returned to England. Nathaniel's (1646) eldest sister,
Elizabeth, married John Oliver (1637) ; his youngest sister, Hannah, married Simon
Lynda (1658), and his sister Sarah married Peter Oliver (1643), brother of John
Oliver (1637).

William Parsons (1646), of Boston, came, probably, in the "James" from South-
ampton, in 1635. He was a joiner by trade ; was admitted to the First Church April 20,
1644; was admitted to be a townsman Dec. 2, 1644, and became a freeman in 1645.
His house and garden were on the northeast corner of the present Water and Devonshire
streets. He died Jan. 29, 1 701-2, aged eighty-eight years.

Brian Pendleton (1646) was born in 1599, for when he was a witness in York
County Court (now in Maine), in July, 1669, he gave his age as seventy years. He
came to this country with his wife, Eleanor, and children, Mary and James. He was
admitted a freeman of the Massachusetts Colony Sept. 3, 1634. He settled in Water-
town ; was a selectman of that town in 1635, 1636, and 1637, and was representative in
1636, 1637, and 1638. In the last-named year, he, with others, set the bounds of
the town of Sudbury, and in 1640 was desired to train the company of that town.
About 1645, he returned to Watertown, and was again its representative in 1647 and
1648. March 20, 1648-9, he sold his real estate in Watertown to Robert Daniel, of
Cambridge, and the same year purchased a six-hundred-acre farm in Ipswich, where
for a time he probably resided. In 165 1, he became interested in the plantation at
Strawberry Bank (Portsmouth, N. H.), for, Oct. 23, 1651, he was appointed an associate
to hold court at that place. He represented this new plantation in the General Court in
1654, 1658, 1660, 1661, and 1663. In 1663, he was appointed commissioner to enforce
the navigation laws on the river " Piscataqua," at the Isles of Shoals, and ports adjacent.
In 1664, he was commissioned captain of a military company at Portsmouth, and in
1668 he was made major at Saco, "he to settle Blackpoint " ; and at the same time
was directed to assist in keeping the court at York.

In 1669, when New Hampshire was a royal province, it was governed by a president
and eight councillors, appointed by King Charles II Brian Pendleton (1646) was one

Edmund Jackson (1646). Authority: Sav- archy fray in London; hut slipt away in the

age's Gen. Diet. crowd." — Sam// Papers, Vol. J I., p. 52.

William Parsons (1646). AuTHORriY: Sav- Brian Pendleton (1646). Authorities: New

age's Gen. L)ict. Eng. Hist, and t'.en. Reg., 1S47, P- 53 (letter of

"[.Saturday] Jan, 31, 1701-2. William Par- Mr. remlleton); 1S49 (will); Williamson's Hist,

sons of 88 years, is buried. Was in the fifth-mon- of Maine, Vol. L, p. 686; Savage's Gen. Diet.



l6o HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1646-7

of these councillors. In 1672, he was. relieved of military command, at his own request,
and his regiment became the care of Major-Gen. John Leverett (1639).

His commission as associate for the county of York was renewed in 1675, and
again in 1676.

June 12, 167^, he purchased of John Paine, of Boston, seven hundred acres of land
in Westerly, R. I., and gave to his son James a life-interest in the same, and, at his
death, they were to be equally divided among the children of James's second wife,
Hannah.

He was possessed of a large estate, perhaps larger than that of any other person in
Portsmouth. He was described in a list of the Royalists and Puritans in Maine (sup-
posed to have been written by Edward Randolph about 1680), in the following words :
" Major Bryan Pendleton [1646], a man of Saco River, of great estate, but very precise,
independent, [is] beloved only by those of his fraternity, being both an enemy to the
King's interest and Mr. Gorges' interest, also a great ring leader of others to the utmost
of his power." A clue to Major Pendleton's (1646) American home may possibly be
furnished by the deposition of Job Tookie, made June 27, 1683, wherein he says " that his
grandfather, minister of St. Ives, Huntingdonshire, was an acquaintance of Major Pendle-
ton [1646] of Winter Harbor, then lately deceased."

Major Pendleton (1646) returned from Saco to Portsmouth in 1676, where, on the
7th of August, 1677, he made his will, and he died in 1681.

Edward Preston (1646) was probably the son of William Preston, of Dorchester.
He came over in the ship "Christian," the first ship from London, in 1635, and was
thirteen years of age. The father removed to New Haven as early as 1639, and his son
Edward is called, " of New Haven." The latter seems to have lived in both New Haven
and Boston. He was in Connecticut (not New Haven) in 1643 and 1644-5, but in 1651,
1654, and 1655, had children born in Boston. His name does not appear in the Boston
Book of Possessions, nor in the town records, except in records of births.

John Ruggles (1646), of Roxbury, born in England, came over in 1635 in the
ship " Hopewell," when he was ten years of age. The church record says, " John
[1646] was brought over a servant by Phillip Eliot." The homestead of Thomas Ruggles,
John's father, was on the south side of the First Church, and included the hill where the
lower Roxbury fort stood. The property extended from Dudley Street, beyond Cedar,
on the south, and from the Norfolk House to Centre Street, on the west. John Ruggles
(1646) was admitted a freeman in 1654, was a sergeant in the military, and died, or was
buried, Sept. 15, 1658.

John Shaw (1646), of Boston, was a butcher. "The 26:12:54 . . . Itt is this
daye ordered that there shall be a distresse leveyed upon the land the which was John
Shawes, bucher, for the Rent which is behind due to the Towne upon the Dock Caled
Bendalls Dock." ' He died July 23, 1687.

John Ruggles (1646). Authorities: Sav- His father's willis given in New Eng. Hist, and

age's Gen. Diet.; Drake's Hist, of Roxbury. Gen. Reg., 1849, p. 265; and his, in same, 1855,

"John Ruggles. he came to New Eng. in the p. 139.
yeare 1635 & soone after his coming joyned the ' Boston Town Records, Second Report, pp.

church, he brought bis first borne, John Ruggles, 122 and 153.
with him." — Roxbury Church Records.



'647-8] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. l6l

Richard Whittington, or Withington (1646), of Dorchester, son of Henry, was
born in England, came to America in 1636, and admitted to be a freeman May 13, 1640.
Ricliard's sister. Faith, married Richard Baker (1658). Richard Whittington (1646) was
chosen ruling elder in the Dorchester church in 165 1, and deacon in 1669. He married
Elizabeth, daughter of Philip Eliot (1638). He was a selectman in 1675, 1676, and
1677. He died Dec. 22, 1701, aged about eighty-three years.



^ Q The officers elected were : Robert Keayne (1637), captain ; Eleazer

I OZLT'O. Lusher (1638), lieutenant, and Francis Norton (1643), ensign. Joshua
'' Hewes (1637) was first sergeant; Roger Clap (1646), second sergeant;

William Hudson (1640), third sergeant; Hopestill Foster (1642), fourth sergeant;
Anthony Stoddard (1639), clerk; John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Arthur Perry
(1638), drummer.

The clamor raised against Capt. Robert Keayne (1637), at the instigation of George
Story, had prompted his fellow-townsmen to elect him a deputy from Boston to the
General Court, and the military company which he founded manifested its confidence
in him by re-electing him its commander.

The new members recruited in 1647-8 were: Thomas Bumstead, Abraham Busby,
John Hansett, John Hill, Giles Payson, and Roger Williams.

Thomas Bumstead (1647), of Roxbury. The church records of that town say:
"Thomas Bumstead came to this Land in the 5' month of the yeare 1640," in which year
he became a freeman. He moved to Boston in 1643, and died there June 22, 1677.

The Boston Book of Possessions, p. 103, mentions Goodman Bumstead as
residing in a house adjoining the mansion-house belonging to John Coggan (1638),
corner of State and Washington streets.

Mr. Whitman (18 10) says, in the History of the Ancient and Honorable Artil-
lery Company, p. 155, "His gravestone in the Granary ground records, 'Thomas
Bumsted died June 22* 1677.' His estate was opposite the burial-ground, a valuable
portion of which has remained in the family ever since [1842] and was lately the resi-
dence of Major Thomas Bumstead [1764]. The elegant blocks of Hamilton Place
and Bumstead Place stand on his land, also the Masonic Temple [corner Tremont Street
and Temple Place]."

Mr. Winthrop says (1644), "A private matter or two fell out about this time, the
power and mercy of the Lord did appear in them in an extraordinary manner. A child
of one [Thomas] Bumstead [1647], ^ member of the church, fell from a gallery in the
meeting-house, and broke the arm and shoulder, and was also committed to the Lord in

Richard Whittington (1646). Authorities: small children Thomas & Jeremiah. He and his

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1851, p. 468; Hist. wife [Susanna] were dismissed to Boston." — A'ox-

of Dorchester, by Anticj. and Hist. Soc. />ii>y Church Records.

Thomas Bumstead (i647'>. Authorities: The will of Thomas Bumstead, brazier, made

Savage's Edition of Winthrop's Hist, of New Eng., May 25, 1677, mentions his son, Jeremy, and daugh-

Vol. H., p. 250; Boston Records; Savage's Gen. ters, Hannah, Mary, wife of Ambrose Dawes (1674),

Diet. and Mercy. — See Suffolk Probate Records, Vol. VI.,

"Thomas Bumstead. he came to this Land in p. 530.
the 5 month of the year 1640. he brought two



1 62 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1647-8

the prayers of the church, with earnest desires, that the place where his people assembled
to his worship might not be defiled with blood, and it pleased the Lord also that this
child was soon perfectly recovered."

Abraham Busby (1647), oi Boston, was a linen weaver, and a son of Nicholas, of
Watertown. Abraham carhe with his parents from old Norwich, England, to Boston,
June 20, 1637. He was admitted a freeman in 1650. The father moved to Boston in
1646, and willed to his wife, and after her to his son, Abraham (1647), his new dwelling-
house and garden, situated on Washington Street, about one third the distance from
West to School streets.

He held several minor town offices, and died March 20, 1687. Sarah Busby, who
married Thomas Cakebread (1637), was a sister of Abraham Busby (1647).

John Hansett (1647), of Boston, is called, on his admission to the church, July 13,
1634, "Servant to our pastor John Wilson." He was admitted a freeman May 17, 1637,
and soon removed to Braintree. Not long after, he took up his residence in Roxbury.
It is recorded in the church records of the latter place, written by Rev. John Eliot,
under date of Feb. 23, 1684, "Old John Hansett [1647] buried."

In October, 1637, the selectmen of Boston granted him a great lot at Mount
WoUaston. In 1646, he bought a house and garden of Abraham Page, situated on
Milk Street, where the Boston jPos^ building formerly stood. " The spot got its chief
glory sixty years later, when Benjamin Franklin was born here."

John Hill (1647), of Dorchester, a blacksmith, came to America in 1633, and united
with the church in Dorchester in July, 1641. He was one of the selectmen of Dorchester
in 1636, was admitted a freeman in 1642, and died in 1664, his will being proved
June 14 of that year.

Giles Payson (1647), of Roxbury, came in the "Hopewell" from London, 1635,
aged twenty-six years, and was admitted a freeman April 18, 1637. He was a member
of the church in Roxbury, and the records say he " married a maide servant, Elizabeth
Dovvell." He became a deacon of that church, held many town offices, and there had
a homestead of five acres. His farm was one of the first cut up into house-lots in
Roxbury. It contained Forest and Dudley streets, and Mount Pleasant Avenue. He
removed to Dorchester, and died there Jan. 28, 1689.

His daughter, Elizabeth, married (i) Hopestill Foster (1673) and (2) Edmund
Browne (1691).

Roger Williams (1647), of Dorchester, came over in the "Mary and John" in
1630; served on the jury Sept. 30, 1630, in trial of Palmer for killing Bratcher, and
was admitted a freeman May 18, 1631. He was one of the selectmen of Dorchester in

Abraham Busby (1647). Authority: Sav- John Hill (1647). Authorities: New Eng.

age's Gen. Diet. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1858, p. 346 (will); Hist, of

" [1686-7] Sabbath, March 20, Abraham Dorchester, by Antiq. and Hist. Soc.

Busby dies." " Tuesday, March 22, 1686-7, Abra- Giles Payson {1647). Authorities : Drake's

ham Busby buried." — Sauall Papers, Vol. L, pp. Hist, of Roxbury; Savage's Gen. Diet.

170,171. Roger Williams (1647). Authorities : Sav-

John Hanseft (1647). Authorities: Sav- age's Gen. Diet. ; Hist, of Dorchester, by Antiq. and

age's Gen. Diet.; Mem. Hist, of Boston, Vol. II. Hist. Soc.



'648-9] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 63

1635, and the next year removed to Windsor, Conn. At Windsor he was in excellent
repute, had a good estate, and served on juries in 1642, 1643, and 1644. His wife died
Dec. 10, 1645, whereupon he sold his property in Windsor, and in 1647 returned to
Dorchester. In 1649, he married Lydia Bates of that town.

In 1650, in a deed he gave, he is called "of Boston." He was an ancestor of
Lieut.-Gov. Samuel T. Armstrong (1807).



^ r^ The ofificers elected were : Robert Sedgwick (1637), captain ; John

I DZlO"Q. Leverett (1639), lieutenant, and John Manning (1641), ensign. James
' -^ Oliver (1640) was first sergeant; David Yale (1640), second sergeant;
Joshua Fisher (1640), third sergeant; Samuel Oliver (1648), fourth sergeant ; Anthony
Stoddard (1639), clerk; John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Arthur Perry (1638),
drummer.

A charter member of the Artillery Company, Major Sedgwick (1637), had twice
before been honored with its command, and he is spoken of as "a very brave, zealous,
and pious man." When the colony feared retaliation from the Royalists of Great
Britain, and the expedition for the subjugation of New York was talked of. Major
Sedgwick (1637) took an active part in reorganizing the militia of Massachusetts.

Peace having been concluded, the expedition against the Dutch at New York was
abandoned, and Gen. Sedgwick (1637), returning to England, was promoted to the
rank of major-gei*ral.

On the 20th of March, 1649, Gov. Winthrop died, after a brief illness, closing his
eyes " upon a scene of rare prosperity, which he, helped by many other good and able
men, had been the chief instrument in creating." Gov. Bellingham, immediately after
his death, invited several of the principal men of the town to his late residence to
decide "how to order his funeral." We have no particulars of "the great solemnity
and honour " which was observed on the third day of April, but the following extract,
from the records of the General Court for the 2d of May, shows that the Artillery
Company fired proper salutes in memory of the signer of their charter : —

" Whereas the surveyer generall, on some encouragements, lent one barrel! and a
halfe of the countryes store of powder to the Artillery ofificers of Boston, conditionally,
if the Generall Corte did not alowe it to them as a gift to spend at the funerall of our
late honored Governor, they would repay it, the powder being spent on the occasion
above said, the Corte doth think meete that the powder so delivered should never be
required againe, and thankfully acknowledg Bostons great, worthy, due love and respects
to the late honored Governor, which they manifested in solemnizing his funerall, whom
wee accompted worthy of all honour."

Gov. Winthrop's house, wherein he died, was of wood, two stories high, on what
is now Washington Street, opposite the foot of School Street, and its spacious garden,
extending to Milk Street, is now occupied by the Old South Church. The house was
destroyed for firewood by the British soldiers in 1775. His remains were buried in
the north end of what is now known as the King's Chapel Burial-Ground, in the tomb
of the Winthrop family.

There were no religious services or sermons at funerals, at that period of our
colonial history. Indeed, Dr. Shurtleff states " that the first prayer at a funeral in



1 64 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1648-9

Boston was as late as 1766, . . . and the first funeral sermon as late as 1783." Rev.
John Cotton preached a sermon in respect to Gov. Winthrop on a special Fast, held
by the church during his illness, of which we have a few extracts only. Funeral
sermons, formerly as now, were delivered on some Sunday after the interment. No
religious sersdces were necessary, however, to make the occasion of Mr. Winthrop's
death a solemn one. Hutchinson, who had access to all the contemporary records,
speaks of " the general grief throughout the colony." It is easy to picture to ourselves
the authorities and the people of the town and the neighborhood assembling at the
Governor's house, and following the corpse, borne by loving hands — for there were no
hearses in those days — to the tomb or grave, while the Artillery Company gave the
funereal salute in honor of the dead.

Massachusetts is fortunate in possessing an original portrait of Gov. Winthrop,
which now adorns the Senate Chamber in the State House at Boston. It represents
him as a well- formed man, with a high forehead, dark blue eyes, and long, dark hair,
his countenance beaming with intelligence and kindness. This is probably the portrait
of which the following anecdote is given in the memoranda of the Winthrop family :
"One of the Pequot Sagamores, who knew the old Governor Winthrop, coming to
Boston, after his death, and going into the room where the picture was, ran out, very
much surprised, exclaiming, ' He is alive ! He is alive ! ' "

The new members recruited in 1648-9 were: Peter Brackett, Samuel Carter, John
Cole, Nicholas Davison, Caleb Foot, Samuel Oliver, Thomas Richards, Jacob Sheafe,
Thomas Squire, and William Stitson.

Peter Brackett (1648), of Braintree, brother of Capt. Richard Brackett (1639)
was admitted a freeman May 10, 1643. He represented Braintree in the General Court
in 1644, 164s, 1646, 1653, 1660, and 1662, and was deputy for Scarborough in 1673
and 1674. In his last years he lived in Boston. He was one of the founders of the
Old South Church, and one of its first deacons.

" In 1662," says Savage, " he purchased of the Indians the tract on which Mendham
was erected." In 1640, Peter Brackett was granted forty-eight acres of land at Braintree,
and Dec. 25, 1676, Capt. Brackett (1639), of Braintree, was allowed to cut enough timber
upon the common land to build a third part of a vessel of twenty- five tons.

Peter Brackett (1648) married for his second wife Mary, widow of Nathaniel
Williams (1644). Judge Sewall (1679), writing to the Rev. Increase Mather, July 24,
1688, says, "Deacon Brackett [1648] was buried this day."

Samuel Carter (1648), of Charlestown, yeoman, son of Thomas and Mary Carter,
was born in 1616. He became an inhabitant in 1637, and was admitted to the church 1 ^
" I, 5, 1645." He married Winfred Harrod, or Harwood, who died Jan. 20, 1675. He \
died Aug. 29, 168 1. \

He was a man of considerable property, and was prominent in the town. I

Peter Brackett (1648). Authorities: Hill's Dictionary, gives 1652 as the date of his will, and

Hist, of Old South Church; Braintree Records. says that in it he names a grandson, John Green.

Samuel Carter (1648). Authorities: Wy- Mr. Whitman (1810) followed these statements,

man's Charlestown Genealogies and Estates; Froth- John Green is not mentioned in Samuel Carter's

ingham's Hist, of Charlestown. will, which is dated Aug. 16, 1680, and was proved

The indefatigable Savage, in his Genealogical Oct. 4, 1681.



1648-9] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 165

John Cole (1648), of Lynn. Mr. Lewis, in his history of that town, mentions John
Cole, of Lynn in 1642, who died Oct. 8, 1703, but nothing is recorded as to wife or
family.

Nicholas Davison (1648), of _Charlestovvn in 1639, was one of the chief men and
agent of Gov. Cradock, " the founder of Medford." Matthew Cradock, first governor
of the Company of Massachusetts Bay, was the richest member of the New England
company. He never came to America, but was most helpful to the early settlers of
Medford. He gave the largest sum to the company ; sent two of his ships over, bringing
fishermen, coopers, shipwrights ; made Medford his first settlement ; procured a large
tract of land ; began ship-building, fishing, etc., and placed here an agent to execute his
plans. Mr. Nicholas Davison (1648) was his mercantile agent, and had charge of the
estate after Mr. Cradock's decease. He went to England in 1655, and returned in
1656 in the "Speedwell," being then forty-five years old. The court records inform



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 25 of 73)