Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 26 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 26 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


us that Sept. 3, 1639, Nicholas Davison (1648), Mr. Cradock's agent, "for swearing
an oath, was ordered to pay one pound, which he consented unto." He died in 1664,
leaving a large property. His will was proved July 1 1 of that year. By the will we learn
that an Indian Sagamore gave him a mortgage of Nahant. His inventory included land
in Boston, Charlestown, Pemaquid, and about two thousand one hundred acres near
Windsor, on both sides of the Connecticut. His inventory amounted to nearly one thou-
sand nine hundred pounds.

He married Joanna Hodges, by whom he had one son, also a daughter, Sarah, who
married Lieut.-Col. Joseph Lynde (1681), of Charlestown.

May 7, 1662, the General Court, by request of the Middlesex troop, confirmed
Nicholas Davison (1648) as cornet of said troop.

Caleb Foote (1648). On the old roll of 1680, it is plainly written, " Mr. Caleb
Foote." His sureties were Lieut. Hewes (1637) and Ensign Hudson (1640).

Samuel Oliver (1648), of Boston, son of Elder Thomas, and brother of James
(1640), of John (1637), and of Peter (1643), was born in England, and was admitted
to the First Church May 21, 1643. He married Lydia, by whom he had three children.
He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1648, and third sergeant in 1651.
He was drowned March 27, 1652, and his widow married Joshua Fisher (1640), of
Dedham.

Thomas Richards (1648), of Boston, was admitted to be a freeman in 1645. In
the will of Thomas Richards (1648), dated Nov. 17, 1650, he is called "of Weymouth,"
but at the time was ill at the house of his " bro. Thomas Loring," in Hull. The will was
proved Jan. 28, 1650. Inventory, thirteen hundred pounds.

Jacob Sheafe (1648), of Boston, was born at Cranbrook, Kent County, England,
and the church register there says he was the son of Edmund, and was born Aug. 4,
1 616. He came over with his mother, and went first to Guilford, where he was one

Nicholas Davison (1648). Authorities: Jacob Sheafe (164S). Authorities: Boston

Records of Mass. Bay; Savage's Gen. Diet. Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.

Samuel Oliver (164S). Authorities: New
Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S65 ; Savage's Gen. Diet.



t66 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1649-5°

of the seven persons who constituted the church there, of which his uncle became
pastor. In 1643, he removed to Boston. He was a merchant, and acquired a large
property.

In the records of the General Court, II., 46, we read this unusual favor : Sept.
7, 1643, "Jacob Sheafe and Margaret Webbe are permitted to join in marriage though
but twice published."

He was a constable of Boston in 1651, a selectman in 1657 and 1658, and was clerk
of the Artillery Company in 1652.

He died March 22, 1658-9, and his tombstone stands in the chapel ground.

Thomas Squire (1648), of Charlestown in 1630, probably came with Gov. Win-
throp. His name is among the first signers to the covenant of the First Church. He
was dismissed therefrom in October, 1632, to found the new church at Charlestown.
He became a freeman May 14, 1634. Thomas Squire (1648) is recorded as a member
of the church in Maiden in 1649.

William Stitson, now Stetson (1648), of Charlestown in 1632, was admitted a
freeman June 11, 1633. He was deacon in the church there, having been admitted with
his wife, Elizabeth, March 22, 1633. He represented that town in the General Court in
1646, and from 1667 to 1671. He was elected selectman first in 1642, and served
twenty years in this office. He held the office of sergeant in the Charlestown company ;
he also kept the ferry, succeeding Thomas Harris. His wife, Elizabeth Harris, died
Feb. 16, 1669-70, and Aug. 22, 1670, he married Mary, widow of Francis Norton
(1643). He died April 11, 1691, in his ninety-first year, "having sen'ed as a deacon
31 years 5 mos," as it is inscribed upon his tombstone.



1649-50.



The execution of King Charles, and the progress of the great
^ rebellion in England, so completely overshadowed minor events in the
colony that we know but little of the Company's proceedings during
1649-50. No officers for that year are recorded in the list written by Nathaniel Barnes
(1676) in 1680, but the name of "Capt. John Carnes, Captain," was inserted in the
transcript of 1745, first in pencil, and afterward in ink. Mr. Whitman (1810) says that
he " has seen a printed list of captains of the Artillery Company in an old almanac,
which had Capt. Carnes' name as captain for this year, and also obtained some
traditionary information which corroborates the statement. There was a Capt. John
Carnes [1649] an officer in the Parliaments navy, in Boston about that time," arid it
seems probable that he was admitted into the Company and elected its captain.

Meanwhile, Massachusetts, and especially Boston, appears to have flourished.
Edward Johnson (1637), whose Wonder- Working Providence was probably written
about 1650, thus rejoices over the flourishing condition of the colony, and especially
over the growth of Boston: "The chiefe Edifice of this City-like town is crowded on
the Lea-bankes, and wharfed out with great industry and cost, the buildings beautiful!

Thomas Squire (1648). Authorities: Sav- man's Charlestown Genealogies and Estates; Sav-
age's Gen. Diet.; Kurd's Hist, of Middlesex Co. age's Gen. Diet. Mr. Wyman gives this name as
William Stitson (164S). Authorities: Wy- Dea. Wm. Stilson, Stitson, of Stetson.



1649-50] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 67

and large, some fairely set forth with Brick, Tile, Stone, and Slate, and orderly placed
with comly streets, whose continuall inlargement presages some sumptuous City.

" But now behold the admirable Acts of Christ : at this his peoples landing, the
hideous Thickets in this place were such that Wolfes and Beares nurst up their young
from the eyes of all beholders, in those very places where the streets are full of Girls
and Boys sporting up and downe, with a continued concourse of people. Good store
of Shipping is here yearly built and some very faire ones : both Tar and Mastes the
Country affords from its own soile ; also store of Victual! both for their owne and
Forreiners ships, who resort hither for that end : this Town is the very Mart of the
Land : French, Portugalls and Dutch come hither for Trafifique."

For the defence of the harbor, what is now known as Fort Independence, then a
rough fortification, had been rebuilt and strengthened, and was garrisoned by not less
than twenty men in summer and ten in winter. It was placed under the command of
Capt. Richard Davenport (1639), who arrived at Salem with Gov. Endicott, in
September, 1628, and had taken a conspicuous part in the Indian wars. His prede-
cessors in this command were Nicholas Simpkins (1650), who was the first captain of
it, 163S ; Edward Gibbons (1637), who commanded in 1636; Richard Morris (1637),
and Robert Sedgwick (1637), in June, 1641.

Fifty pounds were appropriated to build him a house, and he also was allowed one
third of the island for his personal use. His pay was to be one half •' in come " and
one half in " beaver and shop commodities." When he asked that he might be provided
with a chaplain, he was formally notified that he could expect no regular chaplain for
the garrison, but that " the Lord having granted him able gifts," he was expected to
perform the duties of that office, and to take care of the garrison as of his own family.
In July, 1665, "God was pleased to send a grievous storm of thunder and lightening,
which did some hurt in Boston, and struck dead here that worthy renowned Captain
Richard Davenport [1639]."

The new members recruited in 1649-50 were : John Games, Thomas Hawkins,
Stephen Paine.

John Games (1649) was born in Orchard town, Scotland. He was post-captain
in the British navy, and was ordered to America as commander of the fleet cruising in
North American waters. He made frequent visits to Boston, and spent much of his time
there. He married in Boston about 1652. Commodore John Carnes (1649) died at sea
in 1652, on his return passage to England. He was a man of large fortune, owning
extensive land estates in Scotland, on which there were coal mines, from which large
quantities of coal were afterward sent to America. His intentions were to settle up his
affairs in Scotland and return to America to live. His only son, Thomas, was bom after
the father had sailed for England. Thomas was the grandfather of John, who com-
manded the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company in 1750. Prior to his time, the
name was spelled Cairnes, but he dropped the " i," and spelled his name Carnes. Capt.
John Carnes (1649) is believed to have commanded the Military Company in 1649.

John Carnes (1649). Authorities: Whil- Letters from descendants of Capt. Carnes (1649)
man's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842; in New York and Virginia.



l68 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ["650-1

Thomas Hawkins (1649), of Boston, was a baker. He came to America about
1640. ]n that year he was granted a " great lot " at Mount Wollaston, and five acres
were afterward added to it.

The building known as the Green Dragon Ta\ern stood on Green Dragon Lane,
now Union Street, between Hanover and the old mill-pond. John Davies's property was
on the south of the Green Dragon property. Thomas Hawkins (1649) in 1645 bought
Mr. Davies's house and garden, and Oct. 10, 1662, he bought an adjacent lot of Mr.
Johnson. Mr. Hawkins (1649) mortgaged the property to Rev. Thomas Thacher, and
gave a second mortgage, June 15, 167 1, to Sampson Sheafe. A part of Mr. Hawkins's
(1649) property became the Green Dragon estate.

Mr. Hawkins (1649) ^^^^ a noted biscuit-maker, but subsequently an innholder.
He built a tavern, called " Star Inn," which was kept successively by Mr. Hawkins
(1649), his wife Rebecca, John Hewlett, and Andrew Neal. Mr. Hawkins died in the
latter part of 1671.

Stephen Paine (1649), of Braintree, born in England, son of Moses, of Braintree,
was a brother of Lieut. Moses Paine (1644). He married, Nov. 15, 1651, Hanna Bass.
Stephen (1649) was admitted to be a freeman in 1653.

Dec. 19, 1670, the town meeting of Braintree was held at "Steven Paine's [1649]."
He died July 29, 1691.



^ The officers elected were: Humfrey Atherton (1638), captain;

J Q CQ~ J ^ Francis Norton (1643), lieutenant; Thomas French (1638), ensign.

•-^ Thomas Clarke (1644) was first sergeant; William Hudson (1640),

second sergeant; Anthony Stoddard (1639), third sergeant; John Capen (1646), fourth
sergeant; Joshua Scottow (1645), clerk; Arthur Perry (1638), drummer, and John
Audlin (1638), armorer.

The Second Church in Boston was a necessity, on account of increased population
in the town. Previously, 1632 to 1650, there had been but one, viz., the First Church.
It was agreed that a meeting-house should be erected at the North End, and its founda-
tion was laid in 1649, at the head of what is since called North Square. This was the
" Church of the Mathers." The first sermon was preached in the new house, June 5,
1650. On that day, seven persons entered into church covenant, of whom James
Astwood (1638) was a member of the Military Company of the Massachusetts.

The new members recruited in 1 650-1 were : Bozoun Allen, Zacheus Bosworth,
William Cotton, Jacob Greene, George Halsey, and Nicholas Simpkins.

Bozoun Allen (1650), of Hingham in 1638, came from Lynn, Norfolk County,
England, in the "Diligent," from Ipswich. He was admitted a freeman June 2, 1641,
and was rejiresentative in 1643, ^^id for seven other years, the last being in 1652. On
his motion, by reason of his great loss in his mill-dam, occasioned by a great storm, he

Thomas Hawkins (1649). Authorities: Eng., Vol. II., p. 271; New Eng. Hist, and Gen.

Shurtleff's Topog. Des. of Boston; Savage's Gen. Reg. (will), 1851, p. 299.
Diet. " 163S, Mr. Bozone Allen and his wife and

Bozoun Allen (1650). Authorities: Hist. two servants came from Lynn, in Norfolk, and

of Hingham, 1893, Vol. II., p. 8; Savage's Gen. settled in New Hingham." — Daniel Cushing's Rec-

Dict. ; Savage's Edition of Winthrop's Hist, of New ord, Hingham.




THIRD MEETINGHOUSE OF THE SECOND CHURCH.



•650-I] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 169

was dismissed from the service of the General Court, unless he could conveniently come
again. He was often a deputy, a military officer, and an influential citizen of Hingham.
Mr. Allen (1650) was confirmed as lieutenant of the trained soldiers of Hingham, Oct.
27, 1648, and captain. May 22, 1651. His son, Bozoun, was admitted a member of the
Artillery Company in 1676.

Mr. Winthrop, in his History of New England, Vol. II., pp. 221-236, gives an
account of the "troublesome business" in which Capt. Allen (1650) was concerned.
There was a dispute in Hingham as to who should command the military company. A
part of the citizens favored Lieut. Anthony Eames, and the other, Capt. Allen (1650).
The minister became involved, and the church was more or less disturbed by the
difficulty. Complaints were made before the magistrates by both parties. All were
finally bound over to appear at the next Court of Assistants. John Winthrop was tried
before his brother magistrates for maladministration, but he managed so discreetly, and
with so much humility, that he was acquitted honorably. This famous riot, con-
tempt of authority, and interference of priestcraft, were finally subdued, and all parties —
captain, lieutenant, the whole train-band, and even the minister — were fined. The
total of persons arraigned was ninety-five, and the aggregate fines were one hundred and
fifty-five pounds. Capt. Allen (1650) held the captaincy, and the lieutenant paid a fine
of five pounds. The latter became reconciled to his supersedure. Mr. Allen (1650)
and Joshua Hobart (1641), of Hingham, were both deputies at the time of the trial.

Capt. Allen (1650) removed to Boston in 1652, and died Sept. 14, 1652. His
daughter, Martha, married Ebenezer Savage (1682), son of Major Thomas Savage
(1637).

Zacheus Bosworth (1650), of Boston in 1630, probably came in the fleet with
Winthrop. He was admitted a freeman May 25, 1636, and was disarmed in November,
1637, for sympathizing with Mrs. Hutchinson's views. He early became a member of
the First Church. " His house, garden, cow-house, barns, and orchard," were at the west
corner of School and Tremont streets. July 29, 1644, he was appointed pound-keeper
in Boston. He died July 28, 1655.

William Cotton (1650), of Boston in 1647, a butcher by trade, was probably of
Gloucester at an earlier date, as a William Cotton owned land there in 1642 ; but no more
is told of him. William Cotton (1650) joined the church in Boston in May, 1647, and
became a freeman the same year. He was a surveyor of highways in 1650 and 1651.
In 1652, he is called "Sergeant Cotton," in the town records. He held the office of
clerk of the market in 1655 and 1656. He was clerk of the Artillery Company from
1658 to 1660, second sergeant in 1661, and first sergeant in 1662.

Jacob Greene (1650), of Charlestown, son of John (1639), who came from London
to Charlestown, bringing Jacob with him, in the ship "James" in 1632, was born in
1625. Jacob (1650) was admitted to be a freeman in 1650, became a church-member

Zacheus Bosworth (1650). Authorities: Jacob Greene (1650). Autiioritiks: Sav-

Savage's Gen. Diet.; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., age's Gen. Diet.; Frothingham's Hist, of Charles-
Vol, v., p. 443; Boston Records. town.

William Cotton (1650). Authorities: Sav-
age's Gen. Diet.; Boston Records.



I/O



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1651-2



in 1661-2, and was representative in 1677. He married (i) Elizabeth Long and (2)
Mary Whipple. Administration on his estate (one hundred and ninety-nine pounds)
was granted to his widow, Mary, Oct. 6, 1701.

George Halsey, or Halsall (1650), of Dorchester in 1642, was born about 1614.
In 1642, he was recommended by the church in Dorchester to the church in Boston.
He became a freeman in 1645, and in that year bought of Samuel Cole (1637) a house
and garden on the southeasterly part of Copp's Hill. The next year George Halsall
(1650) had liberty of the selectmen "to set down a causey ten foot square, from his
wharf e to low-watter marke and that passingers shall come and go free to it." Soon
after he was permitted " to imploy a passag boatt betweene his wharfe and the ships
wher the ships rid, and is to take a penny for each person." He was by trade a black-
smith, and removed to New London in 1661, but "staid there not long."

Nicholas Simpkins (1650), of Boston, a tailor, was made the first captain at the
Castle about 1634, but in 1636 he seems to have given dissatisfaction by being indebted
to the government, and was succeeded by Edward Gibbons (1637). In 163S, he
removed to Yarmouth, but returned to Boston before 1649.

In the addenda of Winthrop's History of New England, we are told, " mo. 5 th, 14th
[1636] Nic Simpkins brought before the Governor and J. Winthrop for braving the
Lieutenant Morris [1637] and telling him in public that he lied, &c. He confessed
the words, but refused to acknowledge it a fault, or to ask his pardon in the mercate
[market] place. So we committed him. i6th, upon his submission and acknowledg-
ment that he had done ill, we took his bond in ^20. to appear at the next Court, and
left him at liberty. Besides he was ill, and we feared he would grow distracted &c."



^ The ofificers elected were : Thomas Savage (1637), captain ; Thomas

J Q ^ J "2. Clarke (1638), lieutenant; James Oliver (1640), ensign. William
^ Hudson (1640) was first sergeant; Peter Oliver (1643), second ser-

geant; Samuel Oliver (1648), third sergeant; John Barrell (1643), fourth sergeant;
Joshua Scottow (1645), clerk, and John Audlin (1638), armorer.

While the mother country was convulsed with civil war, Massachusetts flourished.
We learn that new buildings, some of brick, sprung up in every quarter of Boston;
markets were erected ; wharves stretched into the harbor ; colonial and foreign vessels
were sent to the West Indies and to the Madeira Islands, and returned laden with
sugar, oranges, wines, cotton, tobacco, and bullion ; and these, with the furs and the
products of the fisheries at the capes and at the banks, including bone and oil — procured
in trips farther to the north — were sent to England to pay for the manufactured goods
needed by the colonists. The resources of the country were rapidly developed. The
vast forests which clothed its surface were converted into masts, plank, boards, staves,
shingles, and hoops, all of which were of value in commercial exchange. Glass-works
were established, and iron foundries were erected at Lynn, Braintree, and Plymouth.

GeorgeHalsey (1650). Authorities: Boston Nicholas Simpkins (1650). AuxHORnT:

Records; Savage's Gen. Diet. Savage's Gen. Diet.




'^^tnom.M ■\)aMt^j^



^(•5^-2] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. I71

Mills were likewise built, ship-yards opened, and some slight progress was made in the
manufacture of linen and cotton cloth.

The new members recruited in 165 1-2 were : James Davis, Strong Furnel, William
Ludkin, Simon Tuttle.

James Davis (1651) was of Boston in 1635, in which year he became a freeman.
His house and garden were situated on the north side of Water Street, at the shore.
In 1640, he was granted land at "Long Island," and in 1645 was one of a committee
chosen by the selectmen " to hire eight fitt men for the Garrison " at the Castle. In

1651, the selectmen voted, "James Davis [1651] hath Libertie to keepe a house of
common entertainement, if the Countie Court consent." He was called "sergeant"
on the town records in 1645.

Strong Furnel (1651), of Boston, a soapboiler, called also a ship-carpenter on his
admission to the church, became a freeman May 10, 1643. He probably died before
1658, as " widow Furnall " is spoken of in the records of Boston, Jan. 31, 1658.

William Ludkin (1651), of Hingham, a locksmith, came from Norwich, Norfolk
County, England. He sailed from Ipswich, England, April 8, 1637, and arrived at
Boston June 20, and settled in Hingham. He had a house-lot granted him in Hingham
in 1637. He became a freeman in March, 1638. He removed to Boston, and was
chosen a constable March 8, 1652. On the 27th of March, 1652, he was drowned in
Boston Harbor, leaving a wife and two children.

Simon Tuttle (1651), of Ipswich, was born in England in 1630, and came over
with his parents in the "Planter" in 1635. His father settled in Ipswich. Simon
(1651) was recorded in the list of voters in that town Dec. 2, 1679. He died in
January, 1692.

Rev. John Cotton, the second or associate pastor of the First Church in Boston,
delivered the election sermon in 1651. He was born at Derby, in England, Dec. 4, 15S5.
At the age of fourteen years, he was entered at the University of Cambridge, and in
1606, he took his degree of A. M. at Trinity College. He remained at Cambridge until
16 13, when he was chosen vicar of the borough of Boston, in Lincolnshire. He preached
there twenty-one years, and then, in consequence of a growing dissatisfaction with the
ecclesiastical tendencies in England, he resigned his charge and came over to Massa-
chusetts. He arrived at Boston, in New England, in the "Griffin," Sept. 4, 1633, and
on the following Sunday was admitted to the First Church. On the loth of October,
he was ordained its teacher, and May 4, 1634, was made a freeman. He died Dec. 23,

1652, in consequence of taking cold while crossing the ferry to Cambridge. His burial
was described as " the most grievous and solemn funeral ever known upon the American
continent."

Mr. Cotton resided in a house, surrounded by a garden, etc., of one and a half

James Davis (1651;. Authorities: Boston Simon Tuttle (1651). Authority: New

Records; Savage's Gen. Diet. Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1868, p. 329.

William Ludkin (1651). Authorities : New Rev. John Cotton. Authorities: Mather's

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1876; Boston Rec- Magnalia; Sprague's Annals of American Pulpit;

ords. Eliot's Biog. Diet. ; Gen. of the Cotton Family.



172 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ['652-3

acres, facing on what is now Tremont Row, and looking down Prison Lane, now Court
Street. This wide allotment was creditable to the town, which thus recognized its
pastor, from whose English home the town derived its name. His wife retained her
possession of a "house and garden in the market place in Boston, in Lincolnshire,"
and he made provision in his will that in case she returned there with her children, or
they should die without heirs, his landed estate was to be equally divided between
Harvard College and the church at Boston.



, The officers elected were: John Leverett (1639), captain ; Francis

J Q ^2" 2. Norton (1643), lieutenant; William Davis (1643), ensign. Richard

^ *~^ Sprague (1638) was first sergeant; John Hull (1638), second sergeant,
and Jacob Sheafe (1648), clerk.

The Castle, now Fort Independence, which had fallen into a ruinous condition,
was rebuilt, the Boston train-bands working upon it during the time usually spent in
monthly parades and drills. Capt. Roger Clap (1646), the commander of the Castle,
tells us, in his Memoirs, that it was built partly of bricks, and contained a number of
apartments. He says that there was a " dweUing room below, a lodging room over it, a
gun room over that, wherein stood six good sacker guns, and over it, upon the top, three
lesser guns." This affair cost about four thousand pounds. Mr. Johnson (1637) says
of the expenditure : " Yet are not this poor pilgrims people weary of maintaining it in
good repair, as it is of very good use to awl insolent persons."

The new members recruited in 1652-3 were: Alexander Adams, Henry Adams,
Isaac Addington, William Aubrey, Thomas Edsall, Henry Evans, William Hasey, Samuel
Hutchinson, William Paddy.

Alexander Adams (1652), of Boston, a shipwright, became a freeman in 1648, and
married, it is said, Mary, sister of Tristram Cofifin, of Salisbury, and. afterward of Nan-
tucket. He removed to Dorchester in 1647, but returned to Boston, and from 1655 to
1661 held the office of " water-bailyffe." "27 : 3 : 61," at a meeting of the selectmen,
they declared, "Whereas Alexander Adams [1652] hath taken vp an Anchor on
y" Flatts, W^ hauing beene cried & no owner appeares. Itt is ordered y' y"" s'' Anchor
shall be d'd to y" Townes Treasurer, & y' y" s* water bayliffes shall haue i of
y s"! Anchor if nott owned."

His residence was at Merry's Point, where, in 1645, he purchased property which
was originally Walter Merry's, who gave his name to the point. In 1646, Alexander
Adams (1652) was allowed to wharf out, maintaining along the shore a highway for a



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 26 of 73)