Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 27 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 27 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cart, now Commercial Street.

He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1656.

Henry Adams (1652), son of Henry, of Braintree, was also of Braintree, but
removed to that part of Dedham afterward called Medfield. Henry (1652) was born in
England about 1604, and he was the first town clerk of Braintree. Removing to

Alexander Adams (1652). Authorities: Henry Adams (1652). Authorities: New

New Eng. Hist, and C'.en. Reg., 1853, p. 42; 1877, Eng. Hist, .ind Gen. Reg., 1S53, p. 42; Hist, of the

p. 18; Hist, of the Adams Family, Tilden's Hist, of Adams Family, 1893, liy Henry Whittemore; Sav-

Medfield. age's Gen. Diet.; Tilden's Hist, of Medfield.




f iofvn. -^u^ri^



^



'652-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



173



Dedham, he became the first town clerk of Medfield, and was very prominent in town
matters. He was a selectman several years, a representative in 1659, 1665, 1674, and
1675, ^nd was lieutenant of the train-band there.

In 1652, he bought the mill which George Barber (1646) had erected. He had
several grants of land in the town, and was one of the petitioners for the incorporation
of the town of Sherborn.

Mr. Mather, in his History of King Philip's War, says, " Lieut. Henry Adams
[1652] was killed at his own door by the Indians, Feb. 21, 1676." His wife was acci-
dentally but mortally wounded by a soldier the same night, at the house of Rev.
Mr. Wilson.

He married, Nov. 17, 1643, Elizabeth, daughter of Moses Paine (1644). His
brother, Thomas, joined the Artillery Company in 1644.

Isaac Addington (1652), of Boston in 1640, married, in 1644, Anne, a sister of
Major-Gen. John Leverett (1639), and became a freeman May 22, 1650. They had five
children, four of whom were daughters. One, Sarah, died young ; of the others, Ann
married Capt. Samuel Maudsley, or Moseley (1672) ; Rebecca married Eleazer Daven-
port, son of Capt. Richard (1639), and Sarah married Penn Townsend (1674). Their
eldest child was Isaac, who became chief-justice of the Superior Court and secretary of
the province.

Isaac Addington (1652) is believed to have been a surgeon by profession, or a
" chirurgeon," as then called. The first items enumerated in the inventory of his estate
are, "Steele instruments," "a box of launcets tipt with silver," and "a surgions
chest." Administration on his estate was granted to his widow, Dec. 6, 1653, and on
the tenth of the same month the property was inventoried at ^998 9^. i,d.

William Aubrey (1652), of Boston, a merchant, came to America from London,
by virtue of a contract made in 1650, and was factor for the iron-works at Lynn. He
married Rachel, the daughter of the secretary, Edward Rawson. In 165 1, Valentine
Hill sold a lot, near Mill-Creek Bridge, and north of the cove, to William Aubrey
(1652), "for the use of the undertakers of the iron-works in New England." A lane
which passed through this lot (the present North Centre Street) was called Paddy's
Lane, from Capt. William Paddy, who joined the Artillery Company the same year as
William Aubrey (1652).

Thomas Edsall (1652), of Boston, was a turner by trade. He married Elizabeth
Farman, Sept. 16, 1652, and had one son, Henry, born in Boston, Feb. 28, 1654.

Henry Evans (1652), of Boston in 1643, ^ husbandman, was admitted a freeman
in 1645, and was a member of the Boston church, k Henry Evans, of Middlesex
County, was drowned March i, 1667.

William Hasey (1652), of Boston, lived at Rumney Marsh, now Chelsea, as early
as 1652. The Boston Records call him "Cornet William Hasey [1652]." He was
admitted a freeman in 1665.

Isaac Addington (1652). Authorities : New William Hasey (1652). .Xuthoritv : New

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1850, p. 117; Eliot's Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1871, iSSi, 1SS8.
Biog. Diet. "[May 27, 1674.] Cornet William Haisy is

William Aubrey (1652). Authorities: Sav- appointed to be lieutenant ... to the Three County
age's Gen. Diet. ; Boston Records. Troop, under the conduct of Edward Hutchinson

[1638] their Captain." — Records of Mass. Bay.



174 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1652-3

Cornet William Hasey (1652) was appointed on the 27th of May, 1674, lieutenant
of the Three County Troop, an engraving of whose standard is given in the New England
Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol. XXV., also an account of the troop. In the
summer of 1675, Lieut. Hasey (1652) commanded a company engaged in King
Philip's War.

William Hasey (1652) married, (2) May 16, 1681, Judith Poole, widow of Capt.
Jonathan, of Reading. After Mr. Hasey's (1652) death, she married, about 1690,
Robert Gould, Sr., of Hull. Lieut. Hasey (1652) seems to have given up his farm at
Rumney Marsh to his children, and to have taken up his residence at the Poole home-
stead in Reading.

William " Hescy," as it is spelled on his gravestone now standing in Wakefield,
died in Reading, May 30, 1689, aged about seventy years.

Samuel Hutchinson (1652), of Boston, brother of John (1645) and of Rev. William,
husband of the famous Ann, was born in England, Nov. i, 1589. The time of his arrival
jn America is not known. He had a grant of land in Rhode Island, May 20, 1638,
whither he went, probably with his brother William. He was accounted a scholar in his
day, and wrote from Boston, "Answer to a Letter sent from Old England to New, 1659."
It was printed in London in 1667.

Samuel Hutchinson (1652) died, unmarried, July 14, 1667.

William Paddy (1652), of Boston, merchant, came over in the "James" from
Southampton in 1635, arriving in Boston June 3. He was called in the custom-house
clearance, a " skinner," and was probably of a guild or company of the skinners. He
lived for a time at Plymouth, was deacon of the church there, and one of the repre-
sentatives from that town in the first General Court of Deputies for Plymouth Colony, in
1639. His first wife, Alice Freeman, died April 24, 165 1, and he married in Boston,
Dec. 3, 1651, Mary Greenough, about which time he made that town his permanent
residence. He was elected a selectman March 12, 1654-5, and was re-elected until his
decease. He attended the meeting of the board, Aug. 12, 1658, and died on the twenty-
fourth day of that month. William Paddy (1652) attended nearly every meeting of the
selectmen during three and a half years, and was very prominent in the conducting of
town affairs.

In his will, after providing for his wife and nine children, and granting legacies to
several friends, he gave " ten pounds to be disposed of by y" selectmen of y' town of
Boston, for y" poore."

A gravestone was dug up from the north side of the Old State House, near the
centre door, and bones found near it, while the city were repairing the building, June
18, 1830. The inscription is all in capital letters, viz. : "Here sleeps that | Blessed
one <Q;> whose lief | God help us all to live | That so when tiem shall be | That we this
world must lieve | We ever may be happy | With blessed William Paddy." On the
other side : "Hearlyeth | The body of Mr. William Paddy, Aged 58 years. | Departed
I This life August the— 1658."

The stone was deposited in the garret of the Old South Church.

Samuel Hutchinson (1652). Authority: Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1850, 1853, 1854, 1S77;

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1847, pp. 299, 302; Drake's Hist, of Boston; Columbian Cen/inel, June

1862, p. 331 (will) ; 1865, p. 15. 19,1830; Records of Plymouth Colony.

William Paddy (1652). Authorities: New



i6S3-4] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 75

. The ofificers elected were: Thomas Clarke (1638), captain ; James

I Q C9-/1, Oliver (1640), lieutenant; William Hudson (1640), ensign. Joshua

^^ ^ Hewes (1637) was first sergeant; James Browne (1638), second ser-
geant, and Thomas Clarke (1644), clerk.

The English army, as organized this year, consisted of regiments composed of
eight companies of musketeers, with a flank company of grenadiers on the right, and
of fusileers on the left, each company being composed of sixty men, rank and file.
The captains carried pikes ; the lieutenants, partisans ; the ensigns, half-pikes, and the
sergeants, halberds. Each infantry soldier was armed with a musket and a sword, and
the grenadiers carried hand-grenades, which they lighted and threw among their
opponents.

During the reign of Cromwell, the people of Massachusetts managed their affairs
with very little interruption from the mother country. Mr. Hutchinson says he has
" nowhere met with any marks of disrespect to the memory of the late King, and there
is no room to suppose the colonists were under disaffection to his son ; and if they
feared his restoration, it was because they expected a change in religion, and that a
persecution of all non-conformists would follow it."

Cromwell had conquered Ireland, and while considering how to keep it in sub-
jection, he thought of the Puritans in New England, and made overtures to them to
recross the water and occupy " the Green Isle " as its proprietors by right of conquest.
The General Court did not receive the proposition with favor, and directed Gov.
Endicott to reply that the people of Massachusetts " were enjoying health, plenty, peace,
and the liberty and ordinances of the gospel, and an opportunity for spreading the
knowledge of it among savages ; and that, content with these blessings, they had no
desire to change their abode."

The new members recruited in 1653-4 were : Jonathan Gilbert, Thomas Lake,
Evan Thomas.

Jonathan Gilbert (1653), of Hadley, innkeeper, came from England and settled
in Hartford, Conn. He married, Jan. 29, 1646, Mary, daughter of John White. His
wife died Dec. 15, 1649, and in 1650 he married Mary Welles, of Hadley, to which
place he had removed. He was a man of distinction, and was for many years marshal
of the colony. He died Dec. 10, 1682, aged sixty-four years. His eldest daughter
became the wife of Andrew Belcher, and mother of Gov. Jonathan Belcher.

Thomas Lake (1653), of Boston, came from London to New Haven, and there
married the daughter of the deputy-governor of that colony. He was admitted a free-
man in 1641 ; was selectman from 1658 to 1676; an eminent merchant, and member
of the Second Church. He purchased in 1654, from John Richards (1644), half of
"Arousick" Island, in the Kennebec River, where he occasionally resided, and for many
years "had a traHing house, near which he was killed by the Indians, against whom Capt.
Lake (1653) commanded an expedition. His bones remained long unburied, but
were afterwards discovered and deposited on Copp's Hill, where his gravestone says :
" An eminently faithful servant of God, and one of a public spirit — was previously slain

Thomas Lake (1653'). Authorities: New "[1676-7] March 13. Capt Lake, the Remain-

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1849, 1850, 1851, 1S71 ; der of his Corps, was honorably buried." — Sewall's- '

Mather's Magnalia; Copp's Hill Burial-Ground, by Diary, Vol. /., /. 38. I

Bridgman.




>3k^



176 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1654-5

by the Indians at Kennebec, August 14th 1676, and here is interred, March 13th
following." His inventory amounted to nearly twenty-five hundred pounds.

He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1654, ensign in 1660, lieutenant
in 1661, and captain in 1662 and 1674. His daughter, Ann, was the wife of Rev. John
Cotton, and afterward of Rev. Increase Mather, whom she also survived.

Evan Thomas (1653), of Boston in 1640, came from Wales; was "taken into con-
sideration as a resident" of Boston, Oct. 26, 1640, and was admitted an inhabitant
Jan. 25, 1 64 1. He was admitted to the First Church April 4, 1641, and became a
freeman the 2d of June following. He was a vintner, had a good property, and died
Aug. 25, 1661.

He and Thomas Lake (1653) were anti-tariff men in 1655, according to Drake's
History of Boston, p. 340, and were opposed to any duty on beer. , He assisted in the
impressment of thirty-two soldiers for the expedition against Hmigret in 1654, and was
paid by the town for his service. In 1660, Oct. 25, the selectmen voted to allow him
to keep a house of "publick intertainment for the yeare ensuing," and Oct. 27, .1661,
his widow was permitted " to draw beere till April next," according to the grant made
to her late husband. Her license was renewed in 1662, and repeatedly afterward, for
in 167 1 she is allowed to draw beer and keep a house of public entertainment. Savage
says, " The widow seems to have been less acceptable in her control of the business at
the Kings Arms public house, for she was warned to leave town as late as 1672, and not
restored before 1676." In May, 1680, she relieved the tavern of a mortgage of three
hundred pounds, and died in 1697.



The ofificers elected were : Edward Gibbons (1637), captain; Edward
T P) C^- CT^ Hutchinson (1638), lieutenant; Joshua Hewes (1637), ensign. John

«->' I «-^ Barrell (1643) was first sergeant; Nathaniel Williams (1644), second
sergeant; Thomas Lake (1653), third sergeant; Richard Waite (1638), fourth sergeant,
and Thomas Clarke (1644), clerk.

Capt. John Leverett (1639) was commissioned by Gov. Endicott and the General
Court, as the agent of the colonists in England, to appear for them and to act in their
behalf "in all matters of concernment to them before His Highness, the Lord Protector
of the Commonwealths of England, Scotland, Ireland, and His Honourable Council
there." He had been a commissioner to confer with Gov. Stuyvesant, of the New
Netherlands, concerning a rumor of a plot between the Dutch at New Amsterdam and
the Mohawks. On stating the case to Cromwell, Major Sedgwick (1637) and Capt.
Leverett (1639) received from him a commission to raise five hundred volunteers in
New England for an expedition against the Dutch at New Amsterdam, and he returned
to Boston with four ships and a few troops. They had a long passage, and were imme-
diately followed by news of a peace between England and Holland, which put an end
to the expedition. Cromwell next proposed that Jamaica, which he had wrested from
Spain, should be colonized with the Puritans of New England.

Daniel Gookin (1645), formerly a Kentish soldier, who had first emigrated to
Virginia, and who went thence to Massachusetts, was then in London. Cromwell sent

Evan Thomas (1653). Authorities : Boston Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.



L



1654-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 77

him home with propositions to the people of New England to emigrate to his new
possessions, over which Major John Sedgwick (1637), of Massachusetts, was to be
Governor. "The Lord High Protector did apprehend," he said, "that the people of
New England had as clear a call to transport themselves from thence to Jamaica,
as they had from England to New England, in order to their bettering their outward
condition, God having promised his people should be the head and not the tail ; besides
that design had his tendency to the overthrow of the man of sin." He offered them
land on the easiest terms, immunity from taxes and customs for a period of years,
and other inducements. But he proposed himself to appoint their highest magistrate,
and this alone would have been an insurmountable obstacle, had there been no other, to
their acceptance of his offer. The General Court returned " their thankful acknowledg-
ment of his Highness's favor, and assured him that he should always have their prayers" ;
but, with periphrastic phraseology such as they could trust him to understand, they
declined to go to the West Indies.

The expedition against the Dutch having failed, the two commanders turned their
attention against the French at the eastward. " It was a time of peace," says Hutch-
inson, "between the two nations, but the English had good right to the country."

The new members recruited in 1654-5 were : William Avery, Peter Duncan,
Richard Fairbanks, Elias Maverick, John Severne.

William Avery (1654), of Dedham, an apothecary and physician, was admitted a
citizen of that town Jan. i, 1650. He was called sergeant in 1655, was a lieutenant of
the company at Dedham in 1673, and was admitted a freemaf* in 1677. It is possible
he was the bookseller mentioned by Thomas in his History, Vol. II., p. 411, whose will
is in the probate records, but certainly he represented Springfield in the Legislature
of 1669. He died at Boston, March 18, 1686-7, ^ged about sixty-six years, and was
buried in Dedham, in the Ancient Burial-Place, Range XIV., No. 29, or in King's Chapel
Burial-Ground, Boston, — both places record his burial.

Peter Duncan (1654), of Dorchester, son of Capt. Nathaniel Duncan (i63S),of
Dorchester, and brother of Nathaniel (1642), came to America with his parents in 1630.
He removed to Gloucester and there settled.

Richard Fairbanks (1654), of Boston, where he arrived in 1633, having crossed
the ocean in the " Griffin " with Rev. Mr. Cotton. He joined the First Church the
same day as Elder Leverett (October, 1633), the father of John Leverett (1639) ; was
admitted a freeman May 14, 1634, and in November, 1637, was disarmed for his
adhesion to the cause of Mr. Wheelwright. Within two years after, he was made, by
the same government, the first receiver of all letters from abroad for the whole colony.
He was elected "pound keeper" in 1637. In 1652, he sold his house to Robert Turner
(1640). It was on a lot next to Robert Keayne's (1637), where the Blue Anchor Tavern
afterward was erected. He was second sergeant of the Company in 1656.

William Avery (1654). Authorities: New He was buried Monday, March 21.

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1847; King's Chapel Peter Duncan (1654). .Vuthoritv: Savage's

Burial-Ground, by Bridgman; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Gen. Diet.

Dedham Register, 1S92, p. 159; Dedham Records, Richard Fairbanks 0654). .Authorities:

Vol. H., p. 277; Vol. HI., pp. 179, 221. Boston Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.

"[1686-7] March iS. Dr. \Vm Avery dyes."
— Scwall Papers, Vol. I., p. 170.



1/8 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1655-6

Elias Maverick (1654), of Charlestown in 1632, joined the church there in Feb-
ruary, 1633, and became a freeman June 11 of the same year. He afterward lived at
Winnisimmet, now Chelsea. " He died at Charlestown," says his gravestone in the
old burial-ground in Charlestown, " September 8, 1684, aged 80 years." He was first
sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1658.

The winter of 1633 was severe, and the small-pox added to the terror of the
Indians. Sagamore John, a friend of the whites, died on the 5th of December, and his
people died so fast that Elias Maverick (1654) buried above thirty in one day ; and when
their own Indian friends deserted them, Elias Maverick (1654), his wife, and servants,
went daily to them, administered to their necessities, and cared for their children.

John Severne (1654). As but one John Severne, or Severance, is found in 1654
on the records of the towns of Massachusetts Bay, it is probable that this is the same
person who joined the Military Company of the Massachusetts in 1641.

Rev. Thomas Thaoher, of Weymouth, afterward of Boston, was the preacher of
theArtillery sermon in 1654 and 1671. He was born in Salisbury, England, May i, 1620,
and was well educated at the grammar school, but preferred " the meannesses of America"
to an attendance at Oxford or Cambridge. He embarked for New England, and arrived
at Boston June 4, 1635. He fortunately came under the tuition of Mr. Charles Chauncy,
who was afterwards president of Harvard College. He pursued his studies ; was married
May II, 1643; w^s ordained Jan. 2, 1644, and settled in Weymouth. In May, 1669,
at the formation of the Third Church, or Old South, in Boston, he became its first
pastor, and continued as such until his death, Oct. 15, 1678.



y y- The officers elected were : Francis Norton (1643), captain; Roger

J Q C C"Q. Clap (1646), lieutenant; William Phillips (1644), ensign. Daniel Fisher

^•^ (1640) was first sergeant; Richard Woodde (1642), second sergeant;

John Gore {1638), clerk, and John Audlin (1638), armorer.

Capt. Robert Keayne (1637), the founder of the Artillery Company, died at Boston
on the 23d of March, 1656, and was doubtless buried with such martial pomp as was
customary in those days ; for, he said in his will, " to declare my affections to that
[military] exercise & the society of souldiers, I shall desire to be buryed as a souldier in
a Military way ... if the time and place may suit thereunto," which was left to his
executors and friends to determine.

His voluminous will reveals prominent traits. He was thoughtful, wise, generous,
and forgiving. He remembered public interests and private friendships. The church,
the college, the free school, the town and its needs, the Artillery Company, and public
library were thoughtfully remembered ; yet neither the town nor city — while recogniz-
ing others of less beneficence and worth — raises an effigy or slab to express its gratitude
to its first princely benefactor. The place of his interment is not known, but his memory
should be cherished by every member of the Artillery Company.

The new members recruited in 1655-6 were : Thomas Bell, Jr., and John Webb.

Elias Maverick (1654). Authorities : Sav- Mather's Magnalia; Sprague's Annals of American
age's (',en. Did.; .Sumner's Hist, of East Boston. Pulpit; Hill's Hist, of the Old South Church;

Rev. Thomas Thacher. Authorities: Eliot's Biog. Diet.




S****;



NORTH BATTERY.



'656-7] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 79

Thomas Bell, Jr. (1655.) He was not the son of Thomas Bell (1643). That
Thomas, Jr., was born in Boston, Aug. 3, 1642. Thomas Bell, Jr. (1655), was probably
the Thomas Bell who testified in 1681 in regard to the Lynn iron-works, and said he
was fifty years of age ; but no more is known about him.

John Webb (1655) was a brazier, who, according to Boston Records, "was
Admitted to Inhabitt in the Towne six Months, and if he behave himself well, for
Lounger Tyme," on the 24th of November, 1651. He is subsequently referred to in the
records of Boston as Ensign John Webb. He was a constable in Boston in 1655, was
clerk of the Military Company of the Massachusetts in 1656, and ensign in 1660. He
was ensign in the militia in 1657.

Rev. Peter Hobart, of Hingham, was the preacher of the Artillery sermon in 1655.
He was born at Hingham, Norfolk County, England, Oct. 13, 1604. He attended the
free school at Lynn, and was admitted into Magdalen College, Cambridge, England,
where he received the degrees of A. B. in 1625 and A. M. in 1629. He entered the
ministry, and came to New England, arriving at Charlestown, Mass., June 8, 1635.
In September following, he settled in Hingham among old friends. He continued as
the pastor of the church there for forty-four years, and died Jan. 20, 1679.



^ -. The officers elected were: James Oliver (1640), captain; William

J Q CQ"y ^ Hudson (1640), lieutenant; John Barrell (1643), ensign. Alexander

"^ ' Adams (1652) was first sergeant; Richard Fairbanks (1654), second
sergeant; John Webb (1655), clerk.

Aug. 28, 1656, the selectmen ordered "that the North battery bee forthwith
repaired," and the disbursements therefor were made by Capt. James Oliver (1640),
Peter Oliver (1643), William Davis (1643), and William Paddy (1652), members of
the board of selectmen.

This battery, Drake says, stood " at the lower part of the north end of the town, and
it was not demolished until after the War of Independence. The site was then converted
into a wharf for the accommodation of ships and merchandise, and it still bears the
name of Battery Wharf. This was a very important point, as it commanded a great
extent of the harbor, and much expense was laid out, early [in] this year, to put it in a
condition to be of service in case an enemy should appear."

The new members recruited in 1656-7 were: William Beamsley and Nicholas
Clarke.

William Beamsley (1656), of Boston in 1632, joined the First Church April 5,
163s, and was admitted to be a freeman May 25, 1636. The church records call him
" Labourer." He bought of William Phillips (1644) a shore lot, near Merry's Point, and
"wharfed out" in 1650. He was granted sixteen acres of land, 1637, near Muddy
River, and in 1641 " bro. Beamsley [1656]" was paid by the town for ten rods of

Rev. Peter Hobart. Authorities: Mather's William Beamsley (1656). Authorities:

Magnalia; Sprague's Annals of American Pulpit; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1855 (will) ; Boston
Lincoln's Hist, of Hingham. Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.



l8o HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1657-S

causeway built by him at Rumney Marsh. He was a constable of the town in 1647, and
in 1649 was ordered " to remove away his oyster shells from the Towne's hye way before
his dore." He was appointed on important committees by the selectmen, but was fined



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 27 of 73)