Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 30 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 30 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to open a cook shop and sell beer. Aug. 2, 1675, he was killed by the Indians at
Brookfield, when a party under Capt. Edward Hutchinson (1638), going by appointment
to arrange a peace, was treacherously cut off.

Daniel Turell (1660), a blacksmith, came from Instow, England. He appears to
have been in Boston in 1649, when the selectmen voted, that he "shall erect his wharf e
for y" highway before his howse before 3: 11 : or pay 20^. fine." In 1656, he was
elected constable. In 1659, the town of Boston bought of John Baker (1644) and
Daniel Turell (1660) the beginning of the present Copp's Hill Burial-Ground. His
residence was between Hanover Street and Hudson's Point, on the shore. He was
elected a selectman March 13, 1675-6, and was called " Ensigne." July 30 of the
same year he is called in town records, "L"'; March 10, 1683-4, he is called captain.
After the iire of 1679, a special "Watch of the Town" was established. The watch in
the "Conduit quarter," drawn from Capt. Oliver's (1643) and Capt. Davis's (1643)
companies, was under the charge of four citizens, one of whom \?arTieut. Daniel Turell
(1660). "Turine" in the records becomes "Turell" after March, 1676 7.

He was admitted a freeman May 19, 1669. He was second sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1666, and lieutenant in 1676. He served as selectman from 1676 to 1690
inclusive, and was active in town affairs.

He married (i) Lydia Blott, who died June 23, 1659, and, (2) Nov. 10, 1659, Mary,
widow of John Barrell (1643). His son, Daniel, Jr., joined the Artillery Company in
1674. He died in July, 1693, and was buried July 24.

Rev. Samuel Whiting, of Lynn, who was the second pastor of the First Church in
that town, was the preacher of the Artillery sermon in 1660. He was installed there
on the 8th of November, 1636. He was a son of Sir John Whiting, mayor of old
Boston, England. Samuel was born Nov. 20, 1597, and entered Emanuel College in
161 2. He received the degrees of A. B. in 1616, A. M. in 1620, and subsequently D. D.
After taking orders in the Church of England, he became chaplain in a family in Norfolk.
Three years later he accepted a rectorship in Lynn Regis, where, three years subse-

Zechariah Phillips (1660). AurHomriEs: Daniel Turell (1660). AuTnoumEs : IJoston

Huston Records; Savage's Gen. Diet. ; Fifth Report Records; Savage's Gen. Diet,
of Boston Rec. Com., Gleaner Articles, XII. Rev. Samuel Whiting. Authorities : Math-

er's Magnalia; Brooks's Lives; Savage's Gen. Diet.



'•^61-2] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY,



195



(juently/he was censured by the IJishop of Norfolk for non-conformity. Again at
Siiirbeck, near Boston, he came under censure, and in 1636 he emigrated to America.
Settling in Lynn, becoming a freeman Dec. 7, 1636, he served the First Church as its
l)astor until his decease, Dec. n, 1679. His name and memory are perpetuated in
Whiting School and Whiting Street, Lynn, Mass.



^ ^ The officers elected were: William Hudson (1640), captain;

J QQ J "2. Ihomas Lake (j6s3), lieutenant, and Robert Turner (1640), ensign.
Thomas Clarke (1644) was first sergeant; William Cotton (1650)
second sergeant ; Thomas Scottow, drummer, and John Audlin (1638), armorer.

Humfrey Atherton (1638), of Dorchester, who was then major-general of the
Massachusetts militia, died Sept. 17, 1661. .^fter having been employed on almost
every occasion of importance to the colony, in peace and war, for thirty years, he was
"killed by a fall from his horse at ye South End of Boston."

The Quaker writers, with their usual prejudice, rejoiced over Major .■\therton's
(1638) death as a judgment upon him because he favored their jjrosecution. Their
harsh and cruel judgment was evidently not indorsed by the people of Massachusetts,
who regarded the death of Major-Gen. Atherton (1638) as a public calamity.

Samuel Shattuck, a Quaker, who had been banished from Salem with the threat of
death should he return, came to Boston, bringing a letter from King Charles to Gov.
Endicott, directing that pending processes against the Quakers should be discontinued,
and that the persons in custody should be sent to England for trial. Shattuck sturdily
presented the letter, wearing his hat, and Gov. Endicott bowed in sarcastic bitterness
to him who was, he said, a greater man than himself.

Aug. 8, 1 65 1, Charles IL was formally proclaimed at Boston, by order of the
General Court, as the " lawful King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, and all
other the territories and dominions thereunto belonging." Later in the year, Mr.
Bradstreet and Mr. Norton were sent to London, with instructions to represent the
colony as his Majesty's loyal and obedient subjects.

Capt. John Hull (1660) thus describes the official proclaiming of Charles H. in
Boston : " Eight of the sixth, 1661, being the fifth day of the weeke, after our ordinary
lecture, the soldiers being all in armes, viz : our four companies and the county troop,
the magistrates mounted on horseback, the ministers being present and a multitude of
people. King Charles the Second was proclaimed by Mr. Edward Rawson, Secretary
of State, all standing bare, and ended with, 'God save the King,' and a shout, sundry
volleys of shot from the soldiery, all the guns in the castle, fort and town and ships.
All the chief officers feasted that night at the charge of the country."

The new members recruited in 166 1-2 were : William Howard, George May,
Edward Page, John Pease, and Robert Sanford.

William Howard (i66i),of Boston, was, in 1660, a witness to the will of William
Paine, and a legatee, also, therein.

From the Boston Records, under date of April 29, 1667, we learn, "Mr. Will

William Howard,(i66i). AuTHOKmES: Boston Records; Savage's Ucn. Diet.



196 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1661-2

Howard [1661] hath hberty to keep a wrighting schoole, to teach childeren to writte and
to keep accounts,"

Mr. Whitman (1810) says he came from the city of London. He was first sergeant
of the Artillery Company in 1665. He died previous to May 12, 1675, when "Alice,
relict of the late William Howard [1661], petitioned the General Court in regard to
selling his estate."

George May (1661), of Boston, an ironmonger, was admitted to be a freeman in
1665. He held office in the town in 1663-4 and 1674-5, and married, Oct. 6, 1656,
Elizabeth, daughter of William Franklin.

Edward Page (i 661), of Boston, was a cooper, and married, about 1652, Elizabeth,
daughter of William Beamsley (1656). Their last child, born June 7, 1673, was named
Humility.

John Pease (1661), of Salem, was a son of John Pease, who came in the " Francis "
from Ipswich, England, in 1634. The wife and mother, with John, Jr., came over in a
later ship. They settled at Salem. John Pease (1661) became a freeman in 1668, was
active in military affairs, and was promoted to be captain in the militia. He married
(i) Mary , who died Jan 5, 1668, and, (2) Oct. §, 1669, An Cummings.

Fresh-Water Brook was the name of an inviting territory which anciently belonged
to Springfield. It was set off from the parent town in 1681, and was settled chiefly by
emigrants from Salem. Among these were John Pease, Sr., and John, Jr. (1661). The
emigrants were allowed to become a township in 1683, and took the name of Enfield.

Capt. John Pease (1661) died at Enfield in 1689, aged sixty years. He was
second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1665.

Robert Sandford (1661), of Boston in 1650, was a brother of John, the school-
master. He was admitted a freeman in 1652. Robert (1661) was highway surveyor for
Boston several years, the last time being in 1676-7.

Rev. John Ward, of Haverhill, was probably the preacher of the Artillery election
sermon in 166 1. In the list of officers and preachers, as prepared by Natlianiel B arnes
(1676) in 1680, the name of the preacher is given as " Samuel Ward." In the transcript
of 1745, " Samuel Ward of Ipswich" is given as the preacher; "of Ipswich" being a
modern addition. There was no minister in New England at that time by the name of
Samuel Ward. The given name, " Samuel," is, perhaps, an unintentional duplication of
the name immediately preceding it in the list, viz., " Samuel " Whiting.

Rev. Nathaniel Ward, of Ipswich, "the Simple Cobler of Agawam," died in 1653.
His son, John, was born in Haverhill, England, Nov. 5, 1606. He was educated at
Emanuel College, England, and received the degrees of A. B. in 1626, and A. M. in
1630. He came to America about 1649, ^"d became a freeman May 3 of that year.
In 1 64 1, he settled in Haverhill, Mass., and there he remained as pastor of the church
until his decease, Nov. 19, 1693.

John Pease (1661). Authorities: Felt's Annals of Salem, Vol. I., p. 224; New Eng. Hist, and
Gen. Reg., 1849, p. 31.



1662-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 97

y- ^ The officers elected were: Thomas Lake (1653), captain; Robert

I 002" N. Turner (1640), lieutenant, and Thomas Clarke (1644), ensign. William

>-^ Cotton (1650) was first sergeant; Richard Woodde (1642), second

sergeant; Hudson Leverett (1658), clerk; Seth Perry (1662), drummer, and John

Audlin (1638), armorer.

Charles II., the "Merry Monarch "of Great Britain, sent word to the people of
Massachusetts that he confirmed their charter, but that he intended to substitute royal
rule for the theocracy of the Puritans, who had established the town meeting, the locally
governed schools, and compulsory militia duty, as foundations upon which the Common-
wealth was being erected. The clergy, who ruled the colony, were men of narrow but
vigorous intellects, and although they excluded Papists, Episcopalians and sceptics from
office, they permitted some of the British veterans, who had crossed the ocean, and who
were not communicants, to receive military commissions. Many of these citizen-soldiers
were men of heroic deeds and noble thoughts ; men inspired with the liberal ideas and
free traditions of Cromwell's camps ; who had heard the bold words of Hampden and
Sidney. They rejoiced at the royal promise that all persons of suitable character should
be eligible to office, " without reference to their opinion or profession."

Rich and expensive colors were at this time carried by the military companies of
Massachusetts. John Pynchon sold to Ensign Wilton, of Northampton, for the military
company, colors, staff, tassel, and top, for five pounds. The next year he sold to Hadley,
for the use of the soldiers, colors, staff, tassel, and top, for five pounds. These flags were
large, and of costly silk. Expensive flags were used down to the Revolution. Timothy
Pickering, in 1775, censured the enormous waste of silk used for colors, and said,
"Three or four square yards of silk are taken to make one color." When the wind blew
the ensigns had much trouble, and were obliged to gather the flags in folds in their
hands. Mr. Pickering wanted them reduced to about a yard in length. The flag of a
company was called an "ensign," and the bearer was an ensign-bearer, usually called
" ensign," but sometimes " ancient." In the early records of Connecticut, Ensign
Stoughton, of Windsor, is called "Ancient Stoughton."

The new members recruited in 1662-3 were : Richard Barnard, Anthony Checkley,
William Clements, John Coney, Believe Gridley, Joseph Gridley, Nathaniel Hunn,
George Nowell, Seth Perry, Return Waite.

Richard Barnard (1662), of Boston, was a brother of Matthew (1660). He was
born in England, and came over with his parents in 1651. He died Dec. 20, 1706.

Anthony Checkley (1662), of Boston, son of William, came to America in 1645
with his uncle, John, from Preston Capes, Northamptonshire, England. He was bap-
tized July 31, 1636, and married Hannah, daughter of the celebrated Rev. John Wheel-
wright. His second wife was Lydia Gibbs, widow, daughter of Joshua .Scottow (1645).
He was a constable of Boston in 1667-8 and in 1679, and, with Lieut. Turell (1660)
and two others, had charge of the watch in the conduit quarter. In 1683, he was
selected as one of a committee to act with the selectmen in drawing up instructions for

Anthony Checkley (1662). authorities: "[Oct. 20, 170S.] Capt Anthony Checkley

New Eng. Hist, antl (;en. Reg, 1S48, 1861; Fnnte's liuried in a Tonih in the New Burying place." —
Annals of King's Chapel, \'ul. L, p. 89; Province SeiMll Papers, Vol. //., p. 240.
Laws of Mass. Bay, Vol. VH.; Drake's Hist, of
Boston.



ipS History of the ancient and [1662-3

the deputies of the General Court, and Aug. 24, 1685, was elected commissioner to
assess the property and number the people of the town. He was chosen attorney-
general of the province in 1689, and was continued in that office until 1703. He was
confirmed by the General Court, May 12, 1675, ensign of the foot company under the
command of Capt. John Richards (1644). He was second sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1677, ensign in 1680, and lieutenant in 1683. He died Oct. 18, 1708.
Col. Samuel (1678) was son of Ensign Anthony Checkley (1662).

William Clements (1662), of Cambridge, son of William, married Mary, daughter
of Joseph Rock (1658). He was clerk of the Artillery Company in 1663 and 1664.

William Clements (1662) sold, in 1669, twenty-five acres of land which he bought
of Richard Dummer, of Boston, on the highway from Watertown to Roxbury south.
He owned a house and land near Chestnut Hill. He was one of the founders of the
First Church in Newton. He died in 1691.

John Coney (1662), of Boston, was a cooper, and admitted to be a freeman in
1669. He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1672. He died Dec. 24,
1690. Mr. Sewall says, "He was buried Thursday, December 25th 1690." From 1668,
when he was elected a constable, until his decease, he held some town office nearly all
the time. Dec. 10, 1678, he was chosen to collect subscriptions for Harvard College
from the members of the Second Church. His son, John, died Aug. 29, 1722, and the
funeral sermon was preached by his son-in-law. Rev. Thomas Foxcroft, who delivered
the Artillery election sermon in 1723.

Believe Gridley (1662) was a son of Capt. Richard Gridley (1658), a brickmaker,
and was born May 3, 1640. Capt. Richard (1658) died in 1674, and Mr. Savage says
that " Believe and Tremble died before their father."

Joseph Gridley (1662), of Boston, brother of Believe (1662) and son of Capt.
Richard (1658), followed the business of his father, that of brickmaking. His son,
Capt. Richard Gridley, became a member of the Artillery Company in 1695. Joseph
Gridley (1662) held various minor offices of the town from 1660 until his decease.
His will was proved April 14, 1687.

Nathaniel Hunn (1662), of Boston, was a son of George, a tanner, who came to
America in 1635. Nathaniel (1662) was a shoemaker by trade. He lived in Boston
until about 1669, and resided in Wethersfield, Conn., from 1673 to 1693.

George Nowell (1662), of Boston, was a blacksmith. He erected a house "neere
the Conduit" about 1667, and from that time until 1675, when the street was paved,
there was trouble between him and the town in regard to the " stoppage of the waiter
course," as given in Boston Records.

Seth Perry (1662), of Boston, born March 7, 1639, was a son of Arthur (163S),
of Boston. Arthur Perry (1638) was a tailor, a trade which Seth (1662) and his brother

William Clements (1662). Authority: age's Gen. Diet.; New Eng. Hist, ami Gen. Reg.

Smith's Hist, of Newton. JS53, p. 31 (will of George Hunn, his father).

John Coney (1662). Authorities: Foote's Seth Perry (1662). Authorities: New Eng.

Annals of King's Chapel, Vol. I., p. 93; Boston Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1876, p. 206; Boston Records;

Records; Savage's Gon. Diet. Hill's Hist, of Old South Church.

Nathaniel Hunn (1662). Authorities: Sav-



ifi63-4l HONnRAIU.E ARTILLERY COMPANY. 199

John pursued. Seth (1662) was admitted to be a freeman in 1666. He held town
offices at various times between 1666 and 1690. He appears on the Town Records, the
last time, March 30, 1 702, when he was appointed to superintend precautions against
fire. He was one of the founders of the Old South Church, was drummer for the
Artillery Company from 1662 to 1666 inclusive, and was third sergeant in 1685.

Return Waite (1662), of Boston, was a son of Richard (1638), of Boston, a
tailor, who, in November, 1637, was compelled to surrender his arms to Capt. Keayne
(1637). His next child, born July 8, 1639, was named Return. The son succeeded his
father as an officer under the government; he was a sergeant, in regular pay, from 1674
to 1681, and very prominent in the military display at the funeral of Gov. Leverett
(1639), in 1679. He died in September, 1702, aged sixty-three years.

Rev. John Higginson, of Salem, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1662. He
was a son of Rev. Francis Higginson, the first minister at Salem, and was born at Clay-
brook, England, Aug. 6, 1616, and came to New England with his parents in 1629, at which
time he joined the church in Salem. On the death of his father, he was assisted in per-
fecting his education, and at the age of twenty-four years became chaplain at Fort Say-
brook, Conn. In 1641, he taught school in Hartford, and in 1643 settled as colleague
over the church at Guilford, Conn. From 165 1 to 1659, he had sole charge of that
church. In the latter year, he took passage for England, but the ship was obliged by
stress of weather to put into Salem Harbor. The church in Salem having no minister,
engaged Mr. Higginson for one year, at the expiration of which, in August, 1660, he
became its settled pastor. He continued in that office for forty-eight years, until his
death, Dec. 9, 1 708, when he was ninety-two years of age. He was one of the most
honored of the early clergy in America.



y- X The officers elected were: John Leverett (1639), captain; William

I 00^' J.. U'i\'is (1643), lieutenant; John Hull (i56o), ensign. HezekialiXTsher*"
'^ ' (753.?) was' first sergeant; John Richards (1644), second sergeant;
William Clements (1662), clerk; John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Seth Perry (1662),
drummer.

Intelligence having been received by the General Court that a fleet of war vessels
would soon arrive from London, bringing royal commissioners to inquire into public
affairs, the train-bands were reorganized, and Capt. Richard Davenport (1639) was
placed in command at the Castle. A committee of the General Court, says Mr. Drake,
consisting of Mr. Richard Russell (1644), Mr. Edward Johnson (1637), and Mr. Joseph
Hills, reported, June 9, a bill allowing two barrels of powder per annum, "for saluting
of ships " at the Castle. But one barrel had been allowed hitherto. The report was
made upon a petition of Capt. James Oliver (1640), of Boston, who said, that "now by

Return Waite (1662;. Authorities: New Rev. John Higginson. Aitiiorities: Math-

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1850, 1877. er's Magnalia; Felt's .\nnals of .Salem; Young's

"[16S5-6] Feb 2 ... This day Return Waite Chronieles; Upham's Second Century Leelure;

is by Sentence of Court turned out of his Marshal's Savage's Gen. Uict.
Place, many complaints coming against him." —
Si-tvall Papers, Vol. /., /. 120.



200 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1663-4

the increase of shipping, coming and going, itt proues much to little for the honorable
efecting of the worke." Mr. Hills, who drew up the report, said the committee were of
opinion that one barrel was " to little, considering the increase of shipping beyond what
hath been formerly, and some expense at the time of eleccon of General officers."

The General Court also resolved, that "being informed that some of his Majesty's
ships are on their voyage to these parts, in which are several gentlemen of quahty, do
therefore order that the captain of the Casde, on the first sight and knowledge of their
approach, give speedy notice to the honored Governor and Deputy Governor, and that
Captain James Oliver [1640], and Captain William Davis [1643] are hereby ordered
forthwith to repair on board the said ships and to acquaint those gentlemen that this
Court hath and doth by them present their respects to them, and that it is the desire of
the authority of this place that they take strict order that their under officers and soldiers,
in their coming on shore to refresh themselves, at no time exceed a convenient number,
and that without arms, and that they behave themselves orderly amongst his Majesty's
good subjects here, and be careful of giving no offence to the people and laws of this
place ; and invite them on shore, provision being made for their present refreshment."

The General Court also resolved, that, " forasmuch as it is of great concernment to
this commonwealth to keep safe and secret our patent, it is ordered that the patent, and
duplicate, belonging to the county be forthwith brought into the Court ; and that there
be two or three persons appointed by each House to keep safe and secret the said patent
and duplicate, in two distinct places, as to the said committee shall seem most expedient ;
and that the Deputy-Governor, Major-General Leverett [1639], Captain Clarke [1638],
of Boston, and Captain Johnson [1637], of Woburn, are appointed to receive the grand
patent from the Secretary, and to dispose thereof as may be most safe for the country."

The new member recruited in 1663-4 was Ephraim Turner.

Ephraim Turner (1663) was a son of Lieut. Robert Turner (1640), the innholder.
Ephraim (1663) was born in Boston, Dec. 13, 1639 ; was admitted a freeman in 1666 ;
served as ensign in the Boston company of Capt. James Oliver (1640) from 1675 to
1680, when he was relieved at his request. Ensign Turner (1663) served as lieutenant
in the Narraganset campaign against King Philip in 1676. He married Sarah, daughter
of Major William Phillips (1644), and through her came into possession of large tracts
of land in the district of Maine. He was, by trade, a brazier. He held town office from
1674 to 1676. It is supposed that he removed eastward about 1680-1.

Rev. Thomas Shepard, of Charlestown, delivered the Artillery election sermon in
1663. He was a son of Thomas Shepard, of Cambridge. The younger was born April
5, 163S, just previous to the embarkation of his parents, in 1635, for America. He
graduated at Harvard College in 1653 ; married, Nov. 3, 1656, Ann, daughter of William
Tyng (1638) ; was ordained, April 13, 1659, as colleague of Rev. Zechariah Symmes,
and died of small-pox Dec. 22, 1677. He was a man of great learning and influence.
Rev. Urian Oakes, president of Harvard College, pronounced an eloquent eulogy in
Latin, before the alumni and officers of that institution, on Commencement Day in 1678.

Ephraim Turner (1663). Authorities: New ley's Harvard GracUiatcs; Eliot's Biog. Diet.; Bud-
Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 18S5; Boston Records. ington's Hist, of First Chureh, t'harlestown;
Rev. Thomas Shepard. Authorities; Sib- Sprague's Annals of American Pulpit.



1664-S] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 20I

^ ^ The officers elected were: William Davis (1643), captain; John

I QQ/I" C. Hull (1660), heutenant; Hezekiah Usher (i638)r^Ti'i;ign. 'Matthew

' ^ Barnard (1660) was first sergeant; Hugh Drury (1659), second sergeant;

William Clements (1662), clerk; John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Seth Perry (1662),

drummer.

Major Thomas Clarke (1638) was appointed, in 1664, a commissioner with Major
John Pynchon, to meet the King's commissioners before New York, and to confer with
them relative to the forces ordered to be raised by Massachusetts to be employed in
recapturing Menhadoes, as New York was then called.

On Saturday, July 23, 1664, two ships of war, the " Elias " and the "Guinea,"
entered Boston Harbor, and were saluted by the Castle, then commanded by Capt.
Richard Davenport (1639). The "Elias" and the " Guinea " had sailed from Ports-
mouth, England, ten weeks before, in company with the "Martin," the "WilHam,"
and the " Nicholas," from which they had become separated by a storm. The first two
ships had as passengers four commissioners and nearly four hundred troops, destined
for a campaign against the Dutch at Menhadoes.

The General Court of Massachusetts promptly raised and equipped a force of two
hundred men, and appointed Hugh Mason and Capt. William Hudson (1640) their
commanders; but, before they left for Connecticut, Major Clarke (163S) wrote that the
Dutch had capitulated to the fleet sent from England, and the colonial expedition was
therefore disbanded.

The new members recruited in 1664-5 \vere : David Say well and Joseph Turner.

David Saywell (1664), of Boston, probably son of Robert, of Boston, married,
Aug. 15, 1660, Abigail Buttolph. He was admitted to be a freeman in 1666, and held



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 30 of 73)