Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 31 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 31 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the ofifice of second sergeant in the Artillery Company in 1668. He died in 1672.

Joseph Turner (1664), son of Lieut. Robert Turner (1643), was born in Boston,
Sept. 7, 1644. His name does not again appear on the Boston Records.

Rev. James Allen, of Boston, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1664. He
was born in England June 24, 1632; entered Magdalen Hall March 16, 1649; received
the degree of A. M. from New College, Oxford, and was one of its fellows. He arrived at
Boston June 10, 1662, and married (i) Hannah, daughter of Richard Dummer, (2) F^liza-
beth, daughter of Jeremiah Howchin (1641), widow of the second John Endicott, and
(3) Sarah Breck, daughter of Capt. Thomas Hawkins (1638). He was installed as the
teacher of the First Church, Dec. 9, 1668, at the same time that Rev. John Davenport
— whose settlement here caused the formation of the Third, or Old South, Church —
was installed as its pastor. He continued his relation with the First Church, as teacher
or pastor, until his decease, Sept. 22, 17 10.

John Dunton, a London bookseller, who visited Boston in 1686, says, in his Life
and Errors, " I went to visit the Reverend Mr. Allen. He is very humble and very rich
and can be generous enough when the humor is upon him." His house, considered the
oldest stone house in Boston, stood where the Congregational House now stands, corner

David Saywell (1664). Authority: Sav- Annals <if .\nicrican Pulpit; Emerson's Hist, of
age's Gen. Diet. First Church; Hutchinson's Hist, of Mass.; Sav-

Rev. James Allen. Authorities: Sprague's age's Gen. Diet.; Eliot's P.iog. Diet.



202



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1665-6



of Beacon and Somerset streets. Mr. Allen is said to have owned a larger part of the
territory of Boston than was ever owned by any one individual, unless William Black-
stone is an exception. His farm of twenty acres was situated between Cambridge Street,
the water, and the Leverett Street estates.



, , ^ The officers elected were: Thomas Clarke (1638), captain; Richard

I 00 ^"0. Sprague (1638), lieutenant, and John Richards (1644), ensign. William
♦-^ Howard (1661) was first sergeant; John Pease (1661), second sergeant;

Ephraim Turner (1663), clerk, and Seth Perry (1662), drummer.

Gen. John Leverett (1639) was employed to reconstruct the fortifications of Boston.
A report by a committee of the General Court states, concerning the famous sconce of
South Battery, built where Rowe's Wharf now stands, under the brow of what was then
Fort Hill, that the thirteen guns were well mounted, and it was thought to be the
" completest work of the kind " in America. The committee also examined a fort, on
the north side of Boston, at Merry's Point, at the foot of Copp's Hill, which was of
earth, faced with strong timber and mounted with seven guns. A ditch was dug across
the " neck," with a defensive gateway, where Dover Street now crosses Washington
Street. There were two gates, one for vehicles and the other for pedestrians, flanked
by brick walls, banked up with earth, and pierced with embrasures for " sakers." A
vote of thanks was passed to Gen. Leverett (1639), and a grant of one hundred pounds
made to him for his services.

The new members recruited in 1665-6 were: Humphrey Davie, Samuel Joy, John
Mills, Habijah Savage, Thomas Savage, Jonathan Shrimpton, John Taylor, Hezekiah
Usher.

Humphrey Davie (1665), of Boston, was a merchant. Mr. Whitman (iSio)
confuses the father and son. Capt. Humphrey Davie (1665) was a son of Sir John
Davie, and came from London in 1662. He was admitted a freeman in 1665, and
represented Billerica in the General Court, because he owned property there, from 1665
to 1669; also Woburn in 1678. He was assistant from 1679 f° 1686. Lnmediately
after this service, he married Sarah (Gibbons) Richards, a widow, of Hartford, Conn.,
whose former husband left her a large estate, which caused Mr. Davie's (1665) removal
thither. He was prominent in town affairs, and was chosen for important duties. In
1663, he purchased the south part of the Bellingham lot, — Tremont Street, between
Beacon and Court streets, — the heirs to which sold it, with a stone house, in 17 10, to
Andrew Faneuil, from whom the estate descended to his nephew, Peter Faneuil.

When the General Court, Oct. 7, 1674, permitted Capt. Edward Hutchinson
(1638) to lay down his "captain's place of the Three County Troop," the court
appointed Mr. Humphrey Davie (1665) captain of that troop. Mr. Davie (1665)
declined to accept the position. In 1675, when the number of militia companies was
increased from four to eight, Mr. Humphrey Davie (1665) was appointed captain of
one of the new companies. The other new captains were Capt. Thomas Lake (1653),
Mr. John Richards (1644), and Mr. John Hull (1660).

Humphrey Davie (1665). Authorities: onls of Mass. liay; Savage'sGen. Diet.; Whitman's
New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Keg., 1847, p. 169; Rec- Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1S42.



•665-6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 203

Capt. Humphrey Davie (1665) died Feb. iS, 1689. The administration on the
estate, Dec. 29, 1718, as given by Mr. Whitman (1810), page 176, was on the estate of
Humphrey, son of Capt. Humphrey Davie (1665). The witlow of Capt. Davie (1665)
married Major Jonathan Tyng (1670).

Samuel Joy (1665), of Boston, son of Thomas (1658) and Joan (Gallop) Joy, was
born in that town Feb. 26, 1639. He moved to Hingham with his parents, and married,
Nov. 13, 1668, Ann Pitts. Samuel Joy (1665) died in 1670 or 1671. On "the 29th
day of the 4"' month, 1671, An Joy, widow, was appointed to administer upon the estate
of her husband, late of Boston, deceased."

John Mills (1665), of Braintree, son of John and Susanna Mills, removed with his
parents to Braintree — that part now called Quincy — about 1642. John (1665) settled
later in what is now Braintree, and became an influential man in town. He was born
June 3, 1632, and married, April 26, 1653, Mary Shove.

Habijah Savage (1665), of Boston, son of Thomas Savage (1637), and brother of
Iqihraim (1674), of Ebenezer (1682), and of Thomas (1665), was born in Boston, Aug. t,
1638, and graduated at Harvard College in 1659. He married, May 8, 1661, Hannah^
daughter of Capt. Edward Tyng (1642). He was admitted to be a freeman in 1665, was
captain of a militia company, and died when on a business trip to Barbadoes in 1669.
His widow married Major-Gen. Daniel Gookin (1645).

Thomas Savage (1665), of Boston, a shopkeeper, son of Thomas Savage (1637)
and brother of Ephraim (1674), of Ebenezer (1682), and of Habijah (1665), was born
in Boston (baptized), May 17, 1640. He married, about 1664, Elizabeth, daughter of
Joshua Scottow (1645). He was an officer in the militia of Boston, and rose to the rank
of lieutenant-colonel of the Boston regiment in 1702, and held it until his decease. He
served in King Philip's War, became a freeman in 1690, in which year he led one of the
three regiments in Sir William Phips's expedition against Quebec, and was the first field
officer that landed. He wrote a brief account of this expedition, which was printed in
London in April, 1691.

In his will, he mentions his sons, Thomas, Habijah (1699), and Arthur (1738). He
was a member of the Old South Church, first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1674,
and ensign in 1681. He died July 2, 1705.

Jonathan Shrimpton (1665), of Boston, was a son of Edward, of Bednall Green,
and a cousin of Samuel (1670). Jonathan (1665) came to Boston in 1648, and married,
about 1666, Mary, daughter of Peter Oliver (1643). He died in 1673, and, in 1674, his
widow married Capt. Nathaniel Williams (1667).

Samuel Joy (1665). Authority: Lincoln's ''July 2, 1705, Lt Col Thomas Savage dies

Hist, of Hingham. aliout 6 p. m."

John Mills (1665). Authorities: Hist, of "July 5, . . . Col Savage buried at 7 p.m.

Braintree; Titcomli's Early New England People. Companies in Arms. . . . The Street very much hlled

Habijah Savage (1665). Authorities: Sav- with reople all along." — 5(T.W/ Paferi, Vol. //.,

age's Gen. Diet.; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. //. 133, 134.
Company, Ed. 1S42. Jonathan Shrimpton (1665). Autiiorities:

Thomas Savage (1665). Authorities: Sav- New Eng. Hist, and Cen. Reg., 18S9, p. 161: Sav-
age's tien. Diet.; Records of Mass. Bay; Hill's age's Gen. Diet.
Hist, of Old South Church.



204



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1665-6



John Taylor (1665), of Cambridge in 1644, was admitted to be a freeman in
165 1. He went to England, says Rev. Lucius R. Paige, D. D., in 1671, as a special mes-
senger of the church, tcr accompany the Rev. Urian Oakes across the Atlantic. In
acknowledgment of his services, the church granted him five pounds. He was the butler
of Harvard College, and perhaps performed other services for that corporation.

His epitaph, now somewhat mutilated, bears testimony to his worth : " Here lyes
the body of John Taylor, aged 73 years, deceased September 6th, 1683. He was a
useful man in his generation, a lover of piety, a lover of learning, a faithful servant of
Harvard Colledg about forty years."

Hezekiah Usher (1665), of Boston, was a son of Hezekiah Usher (1638), and was
born at Cambridge, Mass., in June, 1639. He married in 1686, Bridget, widow of
Leonard Hoar, who had been president of Harvard College, and daughter of Lady Alicia,
widow of Lord Lisle, the regicide. It was not a happy marriage. He thought she was
too extravagant, and she thought he was not orthodox in his faith. She embarked for
England, and did not return during his life. Judge Sewall recorded her departure,
" 1687, Tuesday, July 12."

Mr. Usher (1665) resided afterward for a time at Groton. In his will, made Aug.
17, 1689, he recapitulates his grievances, and appropriates a sum of money for the publi-
cation of his letters, etc., " as to the evil of having a wife only in name."

Mr. Thomas, in his History of Printing, Vol. II., p. 410, 7iote, says, "In 1692, a
respectable man whose name was Hezekiah LTsher [1665] was accused of witchcraft, in
consequence of which accusation he was ordered to be confined in the common prison ;
but on account of the goodness of his character, he was by connivance allowed to secrete
himself in the house of a friend, and afterwards to escape out of the hands of his
persecutors, until the delusion or madness of the times in part subsided."

He died at Lynn, July 11, 1697, and Judge Sewall (1679) says his remains were
"brought to Boston and laid in his father's tomb, July 14"'."

Rev. Increase Mather, the second pastor of the Second Church in Boston, delivered
the election sermon in 1665 and 17 10. He was the youngest son of Rev. Richard and
Caroline (Holt) Mather, of Dorchester, and was born June 21, 1639, graduating at
Harvard College in 1656. He went to his eldest brother, Samuel, at Dublin, in 1657,
and there studied for his degree of A. M. He preached in several places, — County
Devon, Isle of Guernsey, etc., — but returned to New England in the latter part of
August, 1661. On the 8th of September, he delivered his first sermon on our side of
the water in that church — the Second — where he served more than sixty years, though
he was not ordained until May 27, 1664. He was chosen president of Harvard College
in 1685, and filled the office until 1701, when the prevailing dissatisfaction, because he
would not give up the pastorate of the Second Church and reside at Cambridge, so
increased that he resigned the presidency. In the last year of Sir Edmund Andros's
administration, Mr. Mather was sent in disguise on board a ship, and proceeded to

John Taylor (1665). Authority: Paige's Rev. Increase Mather. Authoritiks: Math-

Hist. of Cambiidge. er's Magnalia; Histories of Harv. Coll.; Sibley's

Hezekiah Usher (1665). Authorities: New Graduates of Il.arv. Coll.; Life of Cotton Mather;

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1869, p. 410; Hist, of Sprague's Annals of American Pulpit; Eliot's Biog.

Middlesex Co., \'ol. II., p. 649; Paige's Hist, of Diet.
Cambridge.



"666-7] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 205

England to intercede with King James. He sailed April 7, 1688, and was absent from
his church and college until May 14, 1692, when he arrived at Boston with Sir William
Phips, the new Governor, who brought the new charter of William and Mary. He died
Aug. 23, 1723, and was buried the 29th, with the greatest marks of esteem and affection.



, ,^ The officers elected were: James Oliver (1640), captain; Isaac

J QQQ-V^ Johnson (1645), lieutenant, and Richard Cooke (1643), ensign. John
• Newton (1641) was first sergeant; Daniel Turell (1660), second ser-
geant; Ephraim Turner (1663), clerk; John Audlin (163S), armorer, and Seth Perry
(1662), drummer.

The royal commissioners sent home an account of New England, in which they
said that the commodities of Massachusetts were "fish, which was sent into France,
Spain and the Straits ; pipe, staves, masts, fir-boards, some pitch and tar, pork, beef,
horses and corn, which they sent to Virginia, Barbadoes, etc., and took tobacco and
sugar for payment, which they often sent to England. There was a good store of iron
in this province."

" In Boston," said the same commissioners, " the houses are generally wooden, the
streets crooked, with little decency and no uniformity ; and there neither months, days,
seasons of the year, churches, nor inns are known by their English names." "At
Cambridge, they had a wooden college, and in the yard a brick pile of two cages for
the Indians, where the commissioners saw but one [Indian]. They said they had three
more at school. It might be feared this college might afford as many schismatics to the
church, and the corporation as many rebels to the King, as formerly they had done, if
not timely prevented."

The new members recruited in 1666-7 "'ere: Daniel Brewer, Hugh Clarke, Philiii
Curtis, Tobias Davis, Theophilus Frary, Benjamin Gibbs, Laurence Hammond, Thomas
Hull, Richard Jencks, John Paine, Thomas Sanford, William Sedgwick, Thomas
Snawsnell, Thomas Watkins.

Daniel Brewer (1666), of Roxbury, "husbandman," son of Daniel, of Ro.xbury,
was probably born in England, and married, Nov. 5, 1652, Hannah, daughter of Isaac
Morrill (1638). He became a member of the Roxbury church May 20, 1684.
Daniel, Jr. (1666), died Jan. 9, 1708, aged eighty-four years.

Hugh Clarke (1666), of Watertown in 1640, removed to Roxbury in 1657, and
was admitted to be a freeman in 1660. He became a member of the Ro.xbury church
Sept. II, 1659. In the records of the Roxbury church, it is related, under date of
Sept. 10, 1665, t"hat "Hugh Clark [1666] was called before the church and charged
with telling a lye in the face of the Court, etc. By all which it appeared to the church
that his soul was sick and needed medicine and therefore dispensed a public admonition
unto him." Again, in the same records, "October 21, 1666, Hugh Clark [1666] had

Daniel Brewer (1666). Authoritiks: Rox- Hugh Clarke (1666). .\uTiioRrriEs: Rox-

bury Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.; New Eng. Hist. bury Church Records; Hugh Clark and his Uc-
and Gen. Reg., 1853, p. 170 (will of his father). scendants, p. 17.



2o6 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1666-7

a solemn admonition dispensed to him." "November 25, 1666, Hugh Clark [1666]
was forgiven by the church." "June 8, 1673, Hugh Clark [1666] was solemnly admon-
ished." " 14th of February 1674, Hugh Clark [1666] was reconciled to the church."
He died July 20, 1693, about eighty years of age.

Philip Curtis (1666), of Roxbury, son of William, of Roxbury, was born in England.
He married, in 165S, Obedience Holland, of Dorchester. He was a lieutenant in a
militia company of Roxbury prior to 1670. He was heutenant of Capt. Henchman's
(1675) company, which left Boston Nov. i, 1675, for the purpose of rescuing two boys
whom the savages had captured at Marlborough. The savages were overtaken near
Grafton; a fight ensued ; the boys were rescued, but Lieut. Philip Curtis (1666) and
several of his comrades were killed. He held the office of second sergeant of the
Artillery Company in 1671.

Tobias Davis (1666), of Roxbury, blacksmith, married Sarah, daughter of Isaac
Morrill (1638). She died Jan. 23, 1649, and he married, Dec. 13 next following,
Bridget Kinsman. Tobias Davis (1666) succeeded to the business and estate of his
father-in-law. The latter included much of the tract bounded by Dudley, Warren,
St. James, and Washington streets. He served in the militia as ensign, and was first
sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1668. He died April 25, 1690.

Theophilus Frary (1666), of Boston, cordwainer, son of John Frary, of Dedham,
was born in England. He resided in Dedham until he was admitted an inhabitant of
Boston, Feb. 23, 1656-7. His first town office was that of surveyor in 1659-60, and
he was selectman from 1679 'o 1687 inclusive, and in 1689. He represented Boston in
the General Court from 1689 to 1695 inclusive, and in 1699. He was one of the
founders of the Old South Church in 1666, and was violently opposed to the Episcopal
Church. In 1688, Randolph endeavored to establish worship of that form, and wrote
in urgent terms to the Bishop of London on the subject.

Mr. Hutchinson in a note observes, "A dispute happened at the grave of one Lilly.
He had left the ordering of his funeral to his executors. They forbade Mr. Ratcliffe,
the Episcopal rector, performing the service for burial. Nevertheless he began. Deacon
Frary [1666] interrupted him and a stop was put to his proceeding. The Deacon was
complained of, and besides being bound to his good behavior for twelve months, it was
thought the process would cost him one hundred marks." Mr. LilHe was Capt. Frary's
(1666) son-in-law.

Capt. Frary (1666) was elected deacon of the Old South Church, Nov. 6, 16S5.
He was prominent in town matters, and served on various special committees. Theoph-
ilus Frary (1666) was commissioned by the General Court, May 12, 1675, lieutenant of
the eighth foot company, which was commanded by Capt. John Hull (1660). In 1683,

Philip Curtis (1666). Authorities: Sav- "[1691] Sabbath Oct. 25, Capt Frary's voice

age's Gen. Diet.; Drake's Hist, of Roxbury. failing him in his own Essay, by reason of his Palsie,

Tobias Davis (1666). Authorities: Dral<e's he calls to me to set the Tune, which accordingly I

Hist, of Rdxliury; Savage's Gen. Diet. doe: 17, l8, 19, 20 verses, 6S'li Psalm, Windsor

Theophilus Frary (1666). Authorities: Tune." — Sctonll Papers, Vol. I., f. :^c^i.

Boston Records, Foote's Annals ol King's Chapel; "Oct'r 17, 1700, Capt Theophilus Frary expires

Hill's Hist, of Old South Church; Records of Mass. about 3 aclock past midnight." — St-.oall Papers,

Bay; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Whitman's Hist. A. and Vol. II., p. 2},.
H. A. Company, Ed. 1842.



1666-7] IIONOKACLE AKTILLERV COMl'ANY. 207

he is called in the Records of Massachusetts Bay, " Captain." He hekl the office of
ensign in the Artillery Company in 1674, of lieutenant in 1675, and of captain in 1682.
He died Oct. 17, 1700 On the death of his father-in-law, Jacob Eliot, the house and
garden of the deceased, situated on the southwest corner of Washington and Uoylston
streets, became the property and residence of Theophilus Frary (1666).

Benjamin Gibbs (1666), of Boston, merchant, first appears at Boston in 1662, and
married Lydia, daughter of Joshua Scottow (1645). He was admitted to the First
Church July 13, 1662; became a freeman in 1666; was a founder and member of ihe
Old South Church in 1669, and in 1673 donated fifty pounds to Harvard College.

Mr.'Whitman (1810) says, " Josselyn speaks of his [Gibbs's] new house as being
a stately edifice, which it is thought, will stand him a little less than ^3000, before it be
fully finished." This costly house was near Fort Hill, and belonged to Col. Robert Cibbs.

Capt. Benjamin (1666) served on Connecticut River in King Philip's War, in 1C7O,
and died soon after. His widow married (i) Anthony Checkley (1662), attorney-general,
and (2) William Coleman (1676).

Laurence Hammond (1666), of Charlestown, was admitted a freeman in 1661, and
united with the church in Charlestown, April 29, 1662. He was elected recorder of the
town, and served from Jan. 27, 1672-3, until the election of Mr. James Russell, Jan. 14,
1677-8. Mr. Hammond (1666) was chosen lieutenant of the Charlestown comjiany,
May 27, 1668, and was promoted to be captain of the same, Oct. 12, 1669. In March,
1680-1, the Charlestown train-band was divided into two companies, one of which was
under the command of Capt. Laurence Hammond (1666). He was one of a few >vho,
in 1686, were unwilling "to lift hand or voice" against Andros, " the representative of
the crown" ; on account of which he was deprived of his military command. His diary
is preserved by the Massachusetts Historical Society.

He was a selectman of Charlestown, representative of that town from 1672 to 1677
inclusive, and clerk of the courts and registrar of probate and deeds under .Andros. He
removed to Boston July 10, 1692, and died July 25, 1699. He was second sergeant
of the .Artillery Company in 1667, ensign in 1670, and lieutenant in 1672.

Thomas Hull (1666), of Boston, was a cooper. He married Hannah Townsend
in 1657, about which time he bought of Capt. James Johnson (1638) what is now the
corner of Batterymarch Street and Liberty Square, where stood a well-known ordinary, —
the "Blue Bell," afterward the " Castle Tavern." In 1674, Hugh Drury (1659) occu-
pied a part of the building.

.Administration was granted on the estate of Thomas Hull (1666), deceased, .Aug.
10, 1670. His widow married Lieut. Richard Way (1642).

Richard Jencks (1666), of Boston, was admitted to the Second Church, Oct. 29,
1682, and became a freeman in 1683.

Benjamin Gibbs (1666). Authoritiks: Kec- Co., Vol. I., p. 195; Frothingham's Hist.of Chatles-

ordsof Mass. Kay; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Hill's Hist. town; Mather's Magnalia. Vol. H., p. 91; Mtni.

of Old South Church; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. Hist, of Boston, Vol. H., p. 311, (/Jiv/.

A. Company, Ed. 1842. Thomas Hull (1666). .\i'rnokrrii>: .Sav-

Laurence Hammond (1666). .\uT)li>RniES: age's Gen. Diet.; Boston Records.
Savage's Gen. Diet.; Hurd's Hist, of Middlesex



2o8 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1666-7

John Paine (1666), of Boston, son of William, was born in England. He came to
America in 1635, when three years of age, with his parents, who settled in Ipswich.
They removed to Boston, and the father dying in 1660, left an only son, John (1666).
John Paine (1666) married, in March, 1659, Sarah, daughter of Richard Parker (1638).

There is a tradition that he died at sea, after conveying, Dec. 29, 1674, some estate
to his niece, Hannah, daughter of Samuel Appleton, wife of William Downe (17 16).

Thomas Sanford (1666), born in December, 1644, was a son of Thomas, of Dor-
chester. He was admitted a freeman in 1669, and removed to New Haven, where he
owned real estate in 1685.

William Sedgwick (1666), son of Robert (1637), of Charlestown, was probably
born in that town. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. Samuel Stone. He became
ruined, morally, by service in the British army, and after some years of abandonment of
his wife she petitioned for a divorce in May, 1673. Having removed to Hartford,
Conn., she was released, by vote of the General Court of Connecticut, in October, 1674,
from the "unchristian bondage." Sept. 7, 1668, William sold all right in his father's
estate to Francis Willoughby (1639).

There is a tradition that William died on the return voyage from the West Indies to
Boston.

Thomas Snawsnell (1666) was a merchant in Boston in 1663, and is probably the
" Mr. Thomas Snossall " who was elected constable for Boston, March 14, 1669-70. He
was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1670.

Thomas Watkins (1666), of Boston, in a deed, October, 1653, is called a " tobacco
maker." He became a freeman in x66o, and was clerk of the Artillery Company in
1668. He owned a plantation on the Kennebec, which he sold in 1669, and died Dec.
16, 1689.

Rev. Edmund Brown, of Sudbury, delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1666.
He came over from England in 1637; was admitted a freeman May 13, 1640; was
ordained the first minister of Sudbury in August, 1640, and continued as pastor until
his decease, June 22, 1677. He married, about 1645, Anne, widow of John Loveren,
of Watertown, but left no children.

Mr. Brown's real estate consisted of three hundred acres, besides a grant in Framing-
ham from the General Court. He hunted and fished, and it is said was a good angler.
He was a musician, and in his will speaks of his " Base Voyal," etc. He left fifty pounds



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 31 of 73)