Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 33 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 33 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He was very wealthy, and an old almanac calls him, "Vir patria clams." He was an
ancestor of Gen. William H. Sumner (1819), who, in his History of East Boston, gives
an extended account of Col. Samuel Shrimpton (1670).

Jonathan Tyng (1670), of Dunstable, son of Edward Tyng (1642), of Boston, was
born in Boston, Dec. 15, 1642. He married, first, Sarah, daughter of Hezekiah Usher
(1638). He removed from Boston to Dunstable about 1678, and thence to Woburn
about 1 700. At the latter place, he married, second, Sarah, widow of Humphrey Davie
(1665), and his third wife was Judith, daughter of John Rayner. He was of the royal
council in 1686 and 1687, but did not partake of the principles of Andros; was a
magistrate and representative under the new charter, in 1692, and died Jan. 19, 1724.
His children settled in Tyngsbprough and Chelmsford, Mass. His name is perpetuated
in Tyng's Island, in the Merrimack, above Lowell.

Tyng's Island was visited by the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company during
its fall parade in October, 1879, and again it visited the island in June, 1888, in company
with its guests, — members of the Honourable Artillery Company of London, — by invi-
tation of the Martin Luther Society of Lowell, Mass.

Jonathan Tyng (1670) passed through the lower grades in the militia; was major
in 1697, lieutenant-colonel in 1702, and colonel of the Upper Middlesex Regiment
in 1703.

The Nnvs-Letter, No. 1043, one of the earliest newspapers in New England, says,
"Woburn, Lord's Day, January 19, 1723-4. We were entertained with a very loud
vieinento moi-i. The Hon. Col. Jonathan Tyng, Esq., walking to the place of public
worship in the afternoon, expired as soon as he got into his seat, during the time of the
first prayer, aged 81. His faith and holiness were so apparent, that we were persuaded
he was conveyed to the assembly of the first born in Heaven, to bear a part with them
in glorifying their Creator and Redeemer."

Rev. John Oxenbridge, of Boston, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1670.
He was born Jan. 30, 1 609, at Daventry, England ; entered Lincoln College, Oxford,
June 20, 1623, but was subsequently transferred to Cambridge, where he received the
degree of A. B. in 1631. He taught at Magdalen Hall, and in 1634 went to Bermuda
and took charge of a church. He returned to England in a few years, but being cut off
by the Act of LTniformity of 1662, he went to Surinam, thence to Barbadoes, and in 1669
came to New England. He was installed in April of that year as colleague with Rev.
James Allen, pastor of the First Church. He was admitted a freeman in 1670, and
died Dec. 28, 1674.

Jonathan Tyng (1670). Authorities: Fox's Rev. John Oxenbridge. Authorities:

Hist, of Old Dunstable, pp. 104, 105; Ilunl's Hist. Mather's Magnalia; Emerson's Hist, of the First

of Miilcllesex Co., Vol. I., pp. 29, 3S5; Province Church; Brooks's Lives; Sprague's Annals of Amer-

Laws of Mass. Bay, Vol. VH. ; Records of Mass. Bay. ican Pulpit.



1671-2] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 217

- Thi; officers elected were: John Hull (1660), captain; Richartl

TQ'TT-O^Way (1642), lieutenant; P21isha Hutchinson (1670), ensign. William

• Kent (1667) was first sergeant; Philip Curtis (1666), second sergeant;

Freegrace Bendall (1667), clerk; John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Joshua Hughes,

drummer.

The new members recruited in 167 1-2 were: Benjamin Alford, Thomas Bendish,
Jeremiah Dummer, John Lowle, John Morse, Nehemiah Pierce, Thomas Thacher, Jr.,
John Walley, and John Wing.

Benjamin Alford (167 1), of Boston, merchant, was second sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 16S1, and ensign in 1685. He was elected constable of Boston in 1685-6,
and, refusing to serve, was fined ten pounds. From June 24, 1689, to 1693, he was
annually chosen one of a committee to audit the books of the town treasurer. His will,
dated Feb. 19, 1696-7, was proved Feb. 28, 1709. Of his sons, John was a member of
the Artillery Company in 1714, and James in 1713. Major Benjamin Davis, his brother-
in-law, joined the Artillery Company in 1673. ^^f- Savage says that previous to Mr.
Alford's residence in Boston he had been a prisoner in Barbary.

Thomas Bendish (1671). " Perhaps only a transient visitor."

Jeremiah Dummer (1671), of Boston, son of Richard, of Newbury, was born
Sept. 14, 1645. He was a goldsmith, and served his apprenticeship with John Hull
(1660), the mint-master. He married Ann, sister of Joshua Atwater (1677), of Boston.
They had Jeremy, "H. C. 1699; a lawyer, agent at Queen Anne's court, wit, and friend
of St. John, Viscount Bolingbroke," etc. ; and William (1702), lieutenant-governor of the
province, beside other children. Mr. Dummer'('i67i) was admitted a freeman in 1680,
was one^ of the Council of Safety in 1689, and died May 25, 1718.

He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1679. From the Records of
the Town of Boston, we learn that Mr. Dummer was a constable in 1675-6; a member
of Capt. Hutchinson's company in 1684; selectman from 1690 to 1692; commissioner
in 1691 ; treasurer of the county in 1701, and justice of the peace from 1693 until his
decease in 17 18.

The Boston A^ews-Le//er of June 2, 1718, said, "On the 2Sth, past, departed this
life Jeremiah Dummer, Esq., in the 73d year of his age, after a long retirement, under
great infirmities of age and sickness ; having served his country faithfully in several
public stations, and obtained of all that knew him the character of a just, virtuous, and
pious man ; and was honorably interred on Thursday last."

Benjamin Alford (1671). Authorities: Gash at which much blood Issued: He was so

Foote's Annals of King's Chapel, Vol. L, p. 89; stun'd as to be as dead when Mr. John Winthrop

Savage's Gen. Diet. took him up." — SewallPapers,Vol.II.,p.l2l. j,^y

Jeremiah Dummer (1671). Authorities: " [1718] May 24111 This day Capt Dummer ^^

Savage's Gen. Diet.; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. dies. . . . [May] 29. . . . Capt Dumer buried."— ^

A. Company, Ed. 1842; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Seioall Papers, Vol. III., p. 1S5.

Reg., 1S81, 1887, 1890. His son, Jeremiah, Jr., brother of William Dum-

"Jan'y 30. 1704-5. . . . Cousin Jer Dumer, mer (1702), was the well-known agent ol the

Philosophi.ae Dr., going out of the Town house colonies, and died in England, May 19, 1739. A

about 8 at night, fell by reason of the Ice, hit his London newspaper of May 26, 1739, called him

left Temple against a piece of Brick-batt, Cut a great " the brightest Genius of that Time."



A



I



2lS HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1671-2

John Lowie (167 1), now spelled Lowell, of Boston, a cooper, son of John, of New-
bury, was born in England, and was brought to America in 1639. He married (i)
Hannah, daughter of George Proctor, of Dorchester; (2) Jan. 24, 1659, Elizabeth
Sylvester; and, (3) in 1666, Naomi, a sister of his second wife. He died June 7, 1694.
He was constable of Boston in 1663-4, and in 1667 was complained of as encumbering
the street opposite his shop. He asked permission in 1669-70 to wharf out on the
point of Fort Hill, and in 1685-6 held town oiTice. His son, Ebenezer (17 11), a cord-
wainer, was the father of Rev. John Lowell, of Newburyport, whose son, John (Harv.
Coll., 1760), was distinguished as a judge.

John Morse (167 1), a son of John, of Dedham, who removed to Boston in 165^4,
was born June 8, 1639. He was a shopkeeper, and was elected clerk of the Artillery
Company from 1673 to 1677. He was constable of Boston in 1671, and clerk of the
market in 1674. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Zacheus Bosworth (1650); was
admitted a freeman in 1669, and served as a commissary in King Phihp's War. He
died Oct. 25, 1678.

Nehemiah Pierce (1671), of Boston in 1661, a cooper, was a son of John, of Dor-
chester, and was born in 1639. He married, in 1684 (perhaps second wife), Ann, widow
of Capt. Samuel Moseley (1672), and eldest daughter of Isaac Addington (1652).
March 11, 1689-90, he was chosen by the selectmen to inspect "Chimnys" that are
" insufifitient and danger[ous]."

Mr. Pierce (1671) died prior to April 28, 1691, when administration was given to
his widow.

Thomas Thacher, Jr. (1671), of Boston, merchant, son of Rev. Thomas Thacher,
the first minister of the Old South Church, married Mary, daughter of Thomas Savage
(1637). He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1674, and ensign in 1675.
He died at Boston, April 2, 1686. His father delivered the Artillery election sermon in
1654 and 1671 ; his brother, Peter, in 1695, and his son, Peter, in 1712.

John Walley (1671), of Boston, son of Rev. Thomas VValley, of London, afterward
of Barnstable, Mass., came to New England before his father. He became a freeman in
1673 ; lieutenant in the militia in 1678 ; captain in 1679 ; was elected major of the Bos-
ton regiment in 1699, and soon after was colonel. In 1683, he lived at Barnstable ; was
engaged in the settlement of Bristol in 1684 ; was assistant in the Plymouth Colony, and
was one of the council named in the royal commission of Andros. He held the oflice of

John LowIe (1671). Authorities: Savage's major commandant of the regiment composed of all

Gen. Diet.; Bridgman's Pilgrims of Boston, p. 304. the militia in that county." — AIS. of Gen. Ebenezer

John Morse (1671). Authority: Savage's /F. y'«>c^ (1852).
Gen. Diet. "Sixth-day Jany 11, 1711-12, Major John Wal-

John Walley (1671). Authorities: Mem. ley dies. I was at prayer with him last night. Mr.
Hist, of Boston, Vol. II.; llinkley Papers, published Pemberton pray'd excellently. He was a good neigh-
by Mass. Hist. Soc; Bridgman's Pilgrims of Boston, l>or, a publick spirited Man, a Purchaser and prin-
p. 34; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Whitman's Hist. A. cipal .Settler of ISristol.
and II. A. Company, Ed. 1842. "Fifth-day Jan 17. . . . Went to Funeral of

" He resided for a time in Bristol, then the shire Major Walley. . . . Tomb in the new Burying

town of Bristol County, Mass, He was an early, and place." — Sewall Papers, Vol. II., f. 232.
perhaps the earliest, treasurer of that county, and



1671-2] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 219

major, though he commanded a regiment under Gov. Phips, against the French and
Indians, in 1690. He was the chief military officer of that expedition against Quebec,
Feb. 12, 1689. He rose to be lieutenant-general of his Majesty's forces, and, Mr. Whit-
man (18 10) adds, is the only person on the roll that ever sustained that rank. He was
a member of the council under the new charter of 1692, and, by the Governor and coun-
cil, was appointed one of the judges of the Superior Court, June 7, 1 700, and served for
eleven years. He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1676, lieutenant in 1678,
and captain in 1679, 1699, and 1707. At the last two elections, he is styled lieutenant-
general. He was a member of the Company for thirty-six years, and was active in its
revival.

"At the first election under the new charter," says Mr. Hutchinson, " it was made
a question whether, by the General Court or Assembly was intended the House of Rep-
resentatives only, or the whole three branches ; and it is handed down to us by tradition,
that after some time spent in messages and replies, the council of the former year gave
up the point and sent Major Walley [1671], one of their number, to acquaint the speaker
with it ; but when he came to the door, he heard the speaker putting the question to the
House, and finding they had conceded to the council, he returned without delivering the
message ; and a committee coming soon after from the House, to bring up the vote, the
council by this accident retained a privilege which they have been in the exercise of
ever since."

His tombstone says he died Jan. 11, 1711-12, aged sixty-nine. In his will, he gave
one hundred pounds to Harvard College, twenty pounds and his silver tankard to the
Old South Church, where he was a member, and also a donation to Harvard College
towards the " support of two hopeful scholars, such as the President and Ministers of
the church in Cambridge and the Old South ministers approve." His inventory was
^16,805 iSj-. bd., and his debts ^9,061 i\s. <^d.

His mansion and grounds were on Water Street, the latter extending through to
Milk Street, and, on the water side, terminated in a wharf. At his death, the property
descended to his son, John, on whose death, in 1755, the house was advertised as
containing " twenty rooms."

John Wing (167 1), of Boston, master-mariner and shopkeeper, son of Robert, of
Boston, was born July 22, 1637, and married Josebeth, daughter of James Davis (1651).
He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1673, ensign in 1677, lieutenant
in 1682, and captain in 1693. He was a very thrifty man, for as early as 1674 he made
a mortgage to Samuel Shrimpton (1670) for four thousand two hundred pounds,
secured by Castle Tavern and other estate, of which part was near the Common, and
this mortgage was discharged in three years. He took an active part in the resuscitation
of the Company after Andros's usurpation, and continued a member until his death.
He died Feb. 22, 1703. His will of Feb. 24, 1702, was proved March 12, 1703. The
appraisers of his estate were H. Deering (1682), and John Marion, Jr. (1691). He
was a member of the Old South Church.

Rev. Thomas Thacher, of Boston, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 167 1,
also in 1654. He became a freeman in 1645. He removed to Boston, and joined the

John Wing (1671). Authorities : New Eng. Rev. Thomas Thacher. Authorities: Sav-

Hist. and Gen. Reg., 1879, p. 406; Sav.ige's Gen. age's Gen. Diet.; Wisner's and Hill's Ilists. ofOld

Diet.; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, South Church; Mather's Magualia; Sprague's An-

Ed. 1842; Hill's Hist, of Old South Church. nals of American Pulpit.



220 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND Lm^S

First Church Aug. 4, 1667. In October, 1669, he was dismissed to the First Church in
Charlestown, and became the first settled pastor over the Third, or Old South, Church.
He was held in high esteem, and continued as its pastor until his decease, Oct. 15,
1678. His second wife was Margaret, the widow of Jacob Sheafe (1648). She survived
her husband, but died in 1693, leaving her landed estate to her two daughters, who
had two streets laid out through it, one called Margaret Street, and the other Sheafe
Street.



6 The officers elected were : William Davis (1643), captain ; Laurence

■TO- 9 Hammond (1666), lieutenant; Samuel Shrimpton (1670), ensign.
' «J lames Russell (1669) was first sergeant; John Coney (1662), second

sergeant; Freegrace Bendall (1667), clerk; John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Joshua
Hughes, drummer.

The new members recruited in 1672-3 were: Peter Bennett, Daniel Davison, and
Samuel Moseley.

Peter Bennett (1672), of Boston, housewright, son of Richard, of Salem in 1636,
but removed to Boston before 1642, was born Jan. 18, 1649, '" Boston. Both Peter
(1672) and his wife, Mary Porter, died before his father, Richard, whose will was
proved Sept. 8, 1677. Peter Bennett (1672) was second sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1675, and a soldier in King Philip's War.

Daniel Davison (1672), of Charlestown, son of Nicholas Davison (1648), of
Charlestown, was probably born in that town, where he had children by his wife, Abigail
Coffin, in 1676 and 1677. He was a merchant. He removed to Ipswich, and thence
to Newbury. He was a man of note, active in military matters, and at one time was
major of an Essex County regiment. He represented Newbury in the General Court in
1697, 1698, and 1701, and was appointed on a committee to prepare an address to the
King, and on another to give instructions to their newly-appointed agent, Wait Winthrop
(1692), who was to " negotiate their affairs in England."

Samuel Moseley (1672), of Dorchester, a cooper, removed early to Boston, and
was a son of Henry Maudsley — Moseley — (1643), of Braintree. Samuel (1672) was
born in Braintree, June 14, 164 1. In the way of trade, he visited Jamaica and other
parts of the West Indies, where the adventurous spirit was excited and schooled, the
result of which was his bringing home to Boston two prizes from some unmentioned
enemy. Mr. Hutchinson says he " had been an old privateer at Jamaica, probably of
such as were called buccaneers." He was a captain in King Philip's War, " showed
o-allant spirit, had great success in destroying the Indians, and by some was thought to
take too great delight in that exercise."

Rev. Edward E. Hale, in the Memorial History of Boston, Vol. I., p. 313, says, after
relating of the departure of Capts. Henchman (1675) and Prentice for the seat of King

Peter Bennett (1672). Authorities: Sav- and Resolves uf Prov. of Mass. Bay, Vol. VH.; Sav-
age's Con. Diet.; lioilge's Soliliers in King Philip's age's Gen. Diet.
War, pp. 91, 130. Samuel Moseley(i672). Authorities : Sav-

Daniel Davison (1672). Authorities: Laws age's Gen. Diet. ; Mather's Magnalia, Vol. II.



1673-4] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANV. 221

Philip's War, " He [Samuel Moseley] had beat up for volunteers in Boston, and with
one hundred and ten men, who were called ' privateers,' had made a quick march,"
overtook the other companies, and all arrived together at Swansea. Probably they were
called privateers on account of the former occupation of Capt. Moseley (1672).
Again, Mr. Hale says, same volume, p. 320, "Of all these commanders, Samuel Moseley
[1672] is he who would figure most brilliantly in a romance. He had been, perhaps,
what we call a privateer. He had a rough-and-ready way with him, and indulged his
prejudices to the country's injury. It was he who, in this western campaign, took
fifteen friendly Indians from their fort at Marlborough, and sent them under guard, tied
to each other, to Boston, to be tried for the attack on Lancaster. It was he of whom
the old story is told, that he took off his wig and hung it on a tree that he might fight
more coolly, — to the great terror of the enemy, who thought there was little use in
scalping such a man. It was he who, next year, in proposing to raise another company,
said he would take for pay the captives and plunder, — and was permitted to do so. He
was a lesser Garibaldi, and, it need hardly be added, was always in hot water."

He married Ann, eldest daughter of Isaac Addington (1652) ; had three children,
and died in January, 1679-80. He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1673.

Rev. Urian Oakes, of Cambridge, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1673.
He was born in England in 1631, came to New England with his parents in 1634, and
graduated at Harvard College in 1649. Subsequently he returned to England, settled
as pastor at Titchfield, where he married Ruth Ames. His wife having died, he came
back to New England. He was installed pastor of the church at Cambridge, Nov. 8,
1671 ; became a freeman in 1672, and in April, 1675, was chosen president of Harvard
College, succeeding Rev. Leonard Hoar. He was re-elected in February, 1679, and
died suddenly, July 25, 1681.



^ The officers elected were : Thomas Clarke (1644), captain; Samuel

I 0/ '^'ZL. Shrimpton (1670), lieutenant, and Willian) Kent (1667), ensign. Samuel

• "^ I Moseley (1672) was first sergeant; John Wing (1671), second sergeant;
John Morse (1671), clerk; John Audlin (1638), armorer, and Joshua Hughes, drummer.

In 1673, the General Court of Massachusetts desired Mr. Hezekiah Usher (1665)
to purchase in England " five hundred new snaphances or firelock muskets." As an
Indian war became probable, military men perceived that matchlocks and pikes, however
efficient in European warfare, would be of little avail against nimble Indians, who never
faced their foe in the open field.

The charter of the Company provided : "sthly. The said Military Company are to
have one thousand acres of land," etc. At the session of the General Court which
convened Oct. 7, 1641, a committee was appointed to accompany Mr. John Oliver
(1637) "to see the Artillery land laid out, and make return to the next Court." No
return is found in the records. Nov. i, 1654, the General Court appointed another
committee to "sett out the thousand acres," between Cambridge and Concord. That

Rev. Urian Oakes. Autiiukities: Histories " 16S5, Tuesday Sept"- 15. Take leav uf Mr.

of ITarv. Coll.; Mather's Magnalia; Sprague's An- Bond and give him Mr. ( )akes Artillery Sermon to

nals of American Pulpit; Savage's Gen. Diet.; read at Sea, stitched in Marble paper." — Snvall

Paige's Hist, of Cambridge. Papers, Vol. /., /. 96.



222 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1673-4

committee reported in June, 1655, that there were not a thousand acres of fit land there,
but the Artillery Company might have five hundred acres there, and five hundred in
"the southwest of Meadfield." May 15, 1657, the General Court re-affirmed this grant
of the first five hundred, and ordered the second five hundred to be laid out adjoining
the first five hundred, " else on the southwest of Meadefield." This grant does not seem
to have been acceptable, and nothing more in regard to that grant appears upon the
records of the colony until Oct. 15, 1673, when it was recorded, —

"Artillery of Boston, theire farme layd out September 11* 1673, one thousand of
acres of vpland & meadow, and is from a red oake tree marked A, by a gully side, on
the banke of Merrimake Riuer, on a straight lyin, wesb : south one mile and three
quarters, by marked trees, vnto a pine at B, by a meadow called Spectacle Meadow ;
from B to C, and about the Meadow to D, taking in those two first patches of meadow,
wch meadow is estimated at thirty acres ; from D to E, by the brooke called Specticle
Brooke, which brooke runs into Nashaway Riuer : from E to F, by Nashaway or Watan-
anock Riuer into Merrimak Riuer. The Court doeth approve of this returne, and doe
further grant the artillery Company, as an addition, the quantity of five hundred acres
more, Y" grant being above thirty years since, prouided that the five hundred acres be
laid out in some convenient place next adjoynig to the plantation now granted."

The grant was bounded east by the Merrimack River, south by the Nashua River,
west by Spectacle Brook, and eastward about one mile northerly of Nashua River. This
embraced the whole of the village of Nashville, and was called the "Artillery Farm."
This last location of the grant by the General Court was acceptable to the Artillery
Company.

Mr. John Josselyn, in his Two Voyages to New England, p. 159, describes the fort
on Castle Island as it was in 1671, Roger Clap (1646), captain, commanding : " There is
an island on the south side of the passage, containing eight acres of ground. Upon a
rising hill within this island, is mounted a castle commanding the entrance ; no stately
edifice, nor strong ; built with brick and stone ; kept by a captain, under whom is a
master-gunner, and others." This castle, or fort, was burned by accident, March 21,
1672-3. A new fort was therefore erected of stone, with four bastions, and armed with
thirty-eight guns and sixteen culverins ; there was also a small water-battery of six
guns. A royal order was published this year, stating that " each Lieutenant was to carry
a partisan, each sergeant was to carry a helbard, and each private was to carry a musquet,
with a collar of bandiliers, and also to have and to carry one bayonet or great knife.
Two drums were to be delivered to each company."

The new members recruited in 1673-4 were : John Atwood, Nathaniel Blake,
Jonathan Bridgham, Benjamin Davis, Hopestill Foster, John Hayward, Thomas Jenner,
Jacob Jesson, Francis Morse, James Pennyman, Nathaniel Pierce, John Sandys, John
Sweeting, John Taylor, John Usher, and John Waite.

John Atwood (1673), of Boston, cordwainer, son of Herman Adwood (1644), of
Boston, was born Oct. 5, 1647. He was a captain in the militia, and a deacon of the
Second Church. He was elected inspector of houses of entertainment in 1676, a sealer

John Atwood (1673). Authorities: Whit- to lay his hands on the Bible in Swearing." — Snoal/

man's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842; Sav- Papers, Vol. /., /. 202.
age's Gen. Diet. Under date of March 30, 16S8, Judge Sewall

"[1687-8] Wednesday Feb. 8. . . . Jno At- writes that John Atwood was imprisoned because

wood lined by Judge West marks for refusing he did not pay the 13^. ^J. which he was fined




}n£/yvvynt'



Plan °Mhe ArTi LLERY fARM^ - - DunSIable,

— ^F= - N. H



MADE FROM ORICrlNAL DRAWINC-,



^



1673-4] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 223

of leather in 1678-9, and for several years afterward, and, when called " L' " in 1690, was



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 33 of 73)