Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 36 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 36 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Aug. 6, 1693, aged fifty-two years. He was buried under arms, the same evening, in
Copp's Hill Burial-Ground. His son, John, became a member of the Artillery
Company in 1712.

William Gibson (1675). Authority: Boston "Sabbath Augt 6. 1693, Capt W'm Greenough

Records. ilied about 4 this morn, buried about nine at night.

William Greenough (1675). Authority: Three Vollies past nine at night. Neither Major

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S50, p. 78; 1863, General nor Major Hutchinson in Town. Bright

p. 167. moon-shine." — Snua// Papers, Vol. /,, /. 381.



I67S-6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 237

William Griggs (1675), of Boston, a cooper, became a freeman in 1672, and
married a daughter of John Hannaford. He was a member of Major Savage's (1637)
company, of Boston, in 1680, constable in 1683-4, town clerk in 1696-7, and for five
years thereafter. The town records bear testimony to his interest in copying and
preserving the old records. In 1713, Mr. Griggs (1675) ^^^^ appointed to superintend
the delivery of wheat from vessels to the families, and in 17 14 was given charge of
the granary at thirty pounds a year. This position he held until Dec. 10, 171 7,
when the selectmen voted, " M' Will"' Griggs is Ordered to Lodg the Key of the Granary
■yyth yL' Town Treasurer untill further Order." July 20, 1732, he was granted a license to
sell "Strong Drink." Mr. Whitman (1810) says administration on his estate was
granted Nov. 5, 1737.

Daniel Henchman (1675), of Boston, is first known in Boston by the following
from the town records : " Agreed with M'' Dannell Hincheman for ^40, p Ann'" to assisst
M'' Woodmancy in the grammer Schoole & teach Children to wright, the Yeare to
begine the i"' of March 65-6." He continued in that profession until Jan. 3, 167 1,
when Mr. Ezekiel Cheever took charge of the school. He was admitted a freeman in
1672, and in the Boston town records is called "captain" the same year. In that
position he was distinguished during King Philip's War, having command of the com-
pany of foot, June 25, 1675, i" company with Capt. Prentice with a company of horse.
An eclipse of the moon that evening discouraged the expedition much. They proceeded
onward the next day, and arrived at Swansea before night, on the 28th. Major Thomas
Savage (1637) soon arrived, brought up reinforcements, and took command of the
forces. " A few skirmishes routed the Indians in that quarter. King Philip fled to the
western part of the colony, and Capt. Henchman [1675] ^^ith some of the troops
returned. In November, he started again from Boston, with another company. Near
Mendon they heard of a party of Indians, and it was resolved to give them a camisado,
as they called it, in their wigwams. The captain [1675] and his lieutenant, Philip
Curtis [1666], accordingly led their men out to the fight, but most of them flinched in
the moment of need, and Capt. Henchman [1675] and Lieut. Curtis [1666] were left
with only five men to finish the combat. Lieut. Curtis [1666J, with one man, was
killed, and the object of the excursion was lost." He was also captain of a Boston
company in 1679 ^nd 1680.

Mr. Whitman (1810) says, "Capt. Henchman [1675] set out the great elm-tree
on Boston Common,' for a shade to the military companies which might exercise there
in after time." This tree was standing in 1825, and measured twenty-one feet and eight
inches in circumference. Its final destruction took place Feb. 16, 1876.

Having served on a committee for surveying a new plantation, — now Worcester, —

William Griggs (1675). Authority: Boston lung account of the "Old Elm" on Boston Corn-
Records, mon.

Daniel Henchman (1675). Authorities: "['685] Monday, Oct' igih. . . . About nine

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1873, p. 31 1 ; Math- aclock at night News came to Town of Capt Hench-

ers Magnalia, Vol. XL, p. 561 ; Drake's Hist, of man's Death at Worcester last Thorsday; buried on

Boston; Lincoln's Hist, of Worcester; Snow's Hist. Friday. Very few at his Funeral, bis own Servants,

of Boston; Hill's Hist, of Old South Church. Letter a white and black, carried him to, and put him in

of Daniel Henchman, in regard to the Indian fight his grave. His wife and children following and no

at Hassanamesit, Nov. 9, 1675, '^ printed in the more or but one or two more." — Si-iva/l Papers,

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1871, p. 10. Mr. ;W. /., /. 100.
Shurtleff, in his Topog. Des. of Boston, gives a ' Boston Coiuincrdal Gazette, .\pril 25, 1S25.



238 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1675-6

about 1665, he became a proprietor, and in his last days resided in that town, dying
there Oct. 15, 1685. He was a member of the Old South Church, and was prominent
in town matters for several years. His estate inventoried one thousand three hundred
and eighty-two pounds.

John Jackson (1675), of Boston, son of John, of Boston, a carpenter, was born
June 26, 1643. He was a member of Capt. Daniel Henchman's (1675) company in
1680 and 1 68 1.

Samuel Johnson (1675), °^ Boston, held some minor town offices, and in 1680 was
a member of Capt. Davis's (1673) Boston company. In 1681 was clerk of the market;
in 1684, constable ; in 1686 was a member of the same military company, with Penn
Townsend (1674) captain; tithing-man in 1691, as in 1681 and 1686, and measurer of
grain in 1700 and 1701. He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1692,
ensign in 1697, and lieutenant of the colonial militia.

Simeon Messinger (1675), of Boston, son of Henry (1658), of Boston, was born
March 19, 1645. He married, in 1667, Bethia Howard, of Boston. His name is on the
tax lists from 1674 to 1688, and he was a member of Capt. Elisha Hutchinson's (1670)
company in 1685.

John Moore (1675), of Boston, became a freeman in 1671. He was a brewer,
and had a large estate. By wife, Lydia, he had children born in Boston, from 1673 to
1687 inclusive. In 1681, he was a member of Major Clarke's (1644) military company.
He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1680. Administration on his estate
was granted to his wife, July 13, 1693.

Ephraii^ Morse (1675), son of John, of Dedham, was born in that town, July 19,
1648. His parents removed to Boston in 1654. Ephraim (1675) ^^as in Boston in
1677, but was an early settler in Newtown, Long Island.

John Nichols (1675), of Boston, a joiner, son of Randall, of Boston, was born
Jan. 16, 1654, and was a member of the Old South Church. He became a freeman in
1690. He was a constable of Boston in 1686-7, ^ member of Capt. Hutchinson's
(1670) company, in Boston, and a tithingman in 1692-3.

Ambrose Dawes (1674), in his will, Oct. 17, 1705, appoints " his brother Mr. John
Nichols [1675] " an executor.

Daniel Quincy (1675), of Boston, a goldsmith, son of Edmund Quincy. of Brain-
tree, was born Feb. 7, 1651, in what is now Quincy. The father, Edmund, was the
common ancestor of the Quincys in Massachusetts. Daniel (1675) married, Nov. 9,

Samuel Johnson (1675). Authority : Bos- Daniel Quincy (1675). Authorities: King's

ton Records. Chapel Burial-Ground, by Bridgman, p. 208; New

Simeon Messinger (1675). Authorities: Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1857; Harris's Descend-
New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1862, p. 310; Bos- ants of Tliomas Brattle, p. 4.
ton Records. " [1690] Tuesday Aug. 12. About 7. p.m. we

John Moore (1675). Authority: Boston lay the body of Cous. Daniel Quinsey in my Father's

Records. Tomb." — Scwall Papers, Vol. /., /. 327.

John Nichols (1675). Authorities: Boston
Records; Hill's Hist, of Old South Church.



1675-6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 239

1682, Hannah, daughter of Rev. Thomas Shepard, who deUvered the Artillery election
sermon in 1663. Daniel (1675) and Hannah left but one son, John (Harv. Coll., 1708),
the great-grandfather of President John ()uincy Adams. Daniel's (1675) brother,
Edmund, was the ancestor of the distinguished orator and patriot, Josiah Quincy, who
was the father of Josiah, the president of Harvard College.

" Daniell Quinsey [1675] " was a constable of Boston in 1683-4, and died Aug. 10,
1690. He witnessed the will of John Hull (1660), "a silversmith," March 13, 1683-4.

Simeon Stoddard (1675), of Boston, son of Anthony (1639), baptized May
25, 1651, was a member of the provincial council and of the Old South Church.
May II, 1681, he was appointed ensign of the foot company under command of Capt.
Penn Townsend (1674), and to have his commission when his freedom was granted
by the court. He was ensign of the Artillery Company in 1702.

His first wife died Aug. 13, 1708. In 1709, he married for his second wife the
widow of Col. Samuel Shrimpton (1670). She died April 13, 1713. His third wife was
Mehitable Minot, widow of Hon. Peter Sargent. His death is thus noticed in the
papers: "On Thursday morning last [Oct. 15, 1730] died here [in Boston] the Honor-
able Simeon Stoddard, Esquire, formerly of His Majesty's Council of this Province, in
the 80"' year of his age."

John Temple (1675), a carpenter, was probably a son of Sir Thomas, who came
to Boston in 1657. It was he who, tradition says, persuaded the King that the pine-
tree on the coin struck in Boston represented the royal oak that saved his Majesty.

John (1675) was admitted a freeman in 1671, and was living in 1695. He held
town office from 1679 to 1688 inclusive, and was tithing-man in 1680, being a member of
Capt. William Hudson's (1640) Boston company; also in 1686, when he was a member
of Capt. James Hill's (1679) company.

Benjamin Thurston (1675), of Boston, son of John, of Salem in 1638, was born
July 8, 1640. He was a weaver by trade, became a freeman in 1665, was one of the
founders of the Old South Church in 1669, and in 1674 the General Court made him an
ensign. He took part in King Philip's War, and died Nov. 10, 1678.

He married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Walker. He held town office in 1671
and 1677, and in 1676 was appointed one of the town inspectors to prevent disorders
in unlicensed houses of entertainment, etc. He was third sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1677.

Rev. Samuel Phillips, of Rowley, delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1675.
He was a son of Rev. George Phillips, the first minister of Watertown, and came to New
England with his father in 1630, being five years of age. He graduated at Harvard

Simeon Stoddard (1675). AuTHuRrriES: pox. He afterward wrote in his diary, " Multitudes

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1851, p. 24 t'/ ici/ ,• died, two of my special Friends, viz: Mr. John

Stoddard Genealogy; Sumner's Hist, of East Boston. Noyes [1676] and Benjamin Thurston [1675], who

John Temple (1675). Authority: Boston both died while I lay sick."
Records. Rev. Samuel Phillips. AiiTiiokrnES: .Sav-

Benjamin Thurston (1675). AUTHORrriES: age's Gen. Diet. ; Bond's Hist, of Watertown; Ehot's

Hill's Hist, of Old South Church; Boston Records. Biog. Diet. ; Hist, of Rowley; Sprague's .\nnals of

In 1678, Judge Bewail was very ill with small- American Pulpit.



240 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1676-7

College in 165 1, was ordained in June, 1652, and settled in Rowley as colleague with
Rev. Ezekiel Rogers, who, with his company, founded in 1639 the town of Rowley.

Rev. Samuel Phillips died April 22, 1696. "The many distinguished men in
Massachusetts who have for generations made the name of Phillips illustrious are his
descendants."



, ^ The officers elected were: Elisha Hutchinson (1670), captain;

I U70"7. Daniel Turell (1660), lieutenant, and Freegrace Bendall (1667), ensign.

' ' John Walley (1671) was first sergeant; Benjamin Gibbs (1666), second

sergeant; Nathaniel Blake (1673), third sergeant; Nathaniel Williams (1667), fourth
sergeant; John Morse (1671), clerk, and Joshua Hughes, drummer.

The Indian war was continued, the knowledge of the country possessed by the
Indians enabling them to destroy several villages, and lead parties of the colonists into
ambushes, where they were cruelly murdered.

While thus devastated by an American foe, Massachusetts was threatened with royal
interference. After ten years of political quiet, during which time the British govern-
ment had refrained from molesting the colony, a royal agent named Edward Randolph
appeared. He was described by Cotton Mather as a " blasted wretch, followed with a
sensible curse of God wherever he came, — despised, abhorred, unprosperous." Two
objects he never concealed, — the overthrowing of the Massachusetts charter, and the
setting up of the Church of England in Boston. The contest commenced by him
culminated a hundred years later in the Declaration of Independence.

Edward Randolph, arriving in Boston in June, waited on Gov. Leverett (1639),
announced " the cause of his coming," and desired " that, with what convenient speed
might be, the magistrates might be assembled to hear his Majesty's letter read." The
Governor replied that he could present himself to the magistrates on the afternoon of
the same day, as they were then to meet on other business. At the time appointed, he
was " admitted into the council, where he found the Governor, with the secretary and
six other magistrates. He handed the King's letter to the Governor, who desired him
to be seated. The Governor broke the seal, and reading the words, ' By his Majesty's
command, Henry Coventry,' asked Randolph who Coventry might be, and was informed
that he was the King's principal secretary of state."

Gov. Leverett (1639) then read the letter aloud. In it the King acquainted the
magistrates with the representations that had been made to him in memorials of Gorges
and Mason, of which he transmitted copies. The King said he had accordingly deter-
mined to require the colony to send agents to answer to these charges, and he com-
manded that Randolph should be admitted to the council of the magistrates to hear his
letter read, and that he should bring back their answer. During the reading, three of
the magistrates, following Randolph's example, " put off their hats, and sat uncovered,
but the Governor, with the rest, continued to keep their hats on." The reading being
finished, " the Governor told the council that the matters therein contained were very

" [1676] Monday June 5 Mr. Hutchinson chosen the 2 companies train : we divide into 2 and with the

Captain, Mr Turin Lieut, Mr Uendal, Ensign of the Camljridge Artillery oppose them upon the Hill

Artillery. ... in prospect of the Harbour. Mr. Cotton Mather

" Monday, Oct. 5, Cloudy, Lowering day, yet prayed with us in the niorn and at breaking up." —

the Artillery Company goes over to Charlestown: Se-toaWs Diary.



'676-7] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 24I

inconsiderable things, and easily answered, and it did in no way concern that govern-
ment to take any notice thereof." Randolph said that he had the King's order to require
an answer, and to wait one month for it. " The Governor answered that they should
consider of those things," and the envoy withdrew.

The magistrates, after two days' consideration, resolved to return their thanks to
the King for his "gracious letter," and to send a further answer to it by a vessel about to
sail for London. They called Randolph in, and told him that, if he proposed to take
passage in that vessel, they would intrust him with the letter which they had prepared to
one of the secretaries of state ; otherwise, he would have a duplicate of it whenever he
should be ready to depart. He said that he " had other matters of concern under his
charge, and should not return so soon ; and withal asked them if they had well considered
of his Majesty's letter, and the enclosed petition, in so short a time, and concluded on
their agents, and the time of their going to England." The Governor, without answer-
ing the question, inquired whether he " had anything further to offer them " from the
King. Randolph replied that he had nothing ; and the Governor said only " that he
looked upon him as Mr. Mason's agent," and then bowed him out of the council
chamber. This was the beginning of trouble between the crown and the colony.

Meanwhile, King Philip had gone back to his stronghold. Capt. Church, when the
news reached Rhode Island, hastened over to Bristol Neck, where he arrived at mid-
night. He marched a party to the neighborhood of the designated spot, and there,
before dawn, they lay down in the bushes. When day broke, the Indians, perceiving
themselves to be so closely beset, rushed from their hiding-place in a disorderly manner,
under a heavy fire of those lying in wait. At one of the points likely to be passed by
the fugitives, Capt. Church had stationed an Englishman and a friendly Indian, who
presently saw King Philip approaching them, half dressed, and running at full speed.
The Englishman's gun missed fire. The Indian's gun was effective, one bullet passing
through the heart of the chief, and another lodging in his shoulder. " He fell upon his
face in the mud and water, with his gun under him." King Philip's hands were cut off
and carried to Boston. His head was taken to Plymouth, and there exposed upon a
pole, on a day appointed for a public thanksgiving.

The new members recruited in 1676-7 were; Bozoun .Allen, Nathaniel Barnes,
Robert Butcher, William Colman, John Meader, John Noyes, William Phillips, William
Tomlins, Samuel Wakefield, Isaac Walker, and Joshua Winsor.

Bozoun Allen (1676), of Boston, son of Capt. Bozoun Allen (1650), of Boston, was
born Feb. 13, 1652-3, and married, in 1673, Rachel, a daughter of Jeremiah Houchin
(1641). Capt. Allen (1676) succeeded to the large business of tanning leather which
his father-in-law had carried on. The former was a man of influence, probably a leader
of the mechanic interests of Boston ; was frequently moderator of the town meetings,
and held office in town. He was admitted to be a freeman Oct. 11, 1682; was con-
stable of the town in 1680, selectman from 1691 to 1698 inclusive, and was represent-
ative in 1700. He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1681, ensign in
1690, lieutenant in 1691, and captain in 1696. He was active in the revival of the
Company after Andros's departure.

Bozoun Allen (1676). Authorities: Boston ensigne to a ffoot company in Boston vnder the

Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Whitman's Hist. A. command of Capt Elisha Hutchinson [167°] & to

and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842. haue commission when he hath his freedom granted

"Sargt Bozoone Allen [1676] is appointed him by the Court." — Records of Mass. Bay, Vol. V.



242 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1676-7

Nathaniel Barnes (1676), of Boston in 1675, ^^^s a merchant, who, Aug. 18, 1679,
was chosen town clerk. He was a member of Capt. Sevvall's (1679) company, and a
tithing-man in 1685 and 16S6. He was clerk of the Artillery Company from 1680 to
1682 inclusive, and was first sergeant in 1684.

Mr. Whitman (18 10) says that by direction of the commander. Major Savage
(1637), Nathaniel Barnes (1676) in 1680 made a complete roll of all members, with
their bondsmen, and also a complete list of the officers from the beginning. This he
certified to, as clerk, in 168 1. To the preservation of this list we are indebted for all
we know of the first years of the Company. His labors were great, and in 1746 his
lists were thought worthy of being transcribed. Mr. Dunton, the London bookseller,
says, "Mr. Barnes [1676] was clerk to the government, a matchless accomptant, a great
musician, bookish to a proverb, very generous to strangers." In 1681, the General
Court granted to Mr. Barnes (1676) two hundred acres of land.

Robert Butcher (1676), of Boston, was admitted a freeman in 1677, and was a
member of the Old South Church. He was by trade a cooper. He was chosen clerk
of the market in 1679-80, a member of "Capt Wally's [1671]" company, and a
tithing-man in 1 680-1, constable in 1684-5, and held minor town offices.

William Colman (1676), son of Matthew, was born Aug. 3, 1643. He came from
Satterly, Norfolk County, England, with his wife, Elizabeth, in the "Arabella," in 1671.
His first wife having died, he married, March 6, 17 12, Lydia, daughter of Joshua Scottow
(1645), and widow of (i) Benjamin Gibbs (1666) and of (2) Anthony Checkley (1662),
attorney-general. Ensign William (1676) was the father of Rev. Benjamin Colman, D. D.,
who delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1702. William (1676) became a member
of the Second Church, July 6, 1688, but united with the Brattle Street Church in 1699,
and continued a member thereof, under the preaching of his son, who was the first
minister of that church. William Colman (1676) was third sergeant of the Company
in 1683, and ensign in 1692. He held office in the town of Boston for several years,
being a member of the first board of overseers of the poor, March 9, 1690-1. The
seventh day, March 29, 1712, Judge Sewall (1679) wrote, "Mr. Colman [1676] the
father died last Thorsday night."

John Meader (1676).

John Noyes (1676), of Boston, son of Rev. James Noyes, of Newbury, was born
June 3, 1645. He was admitted a freeman in 1675. July 27, 1674, the selectmen
voted, " John Noyse is prohibited to imploy his brother William Noyse as a Cooper
vpon the penaltie of 10' a weeke haueinge serued but 4:^ yeares to the trade and not
21 yeares of age." Mr. John Noyes (1676) was constable in 1675. He married Sarah,
daughter of Peter Oliver (1643), and their son, Dr. Oliver Noyes, joined the Artillery
Company in 1699. Ensign John Noyes (1676) was second sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1678, and a member of the Old South Church. He died Nov. 9, 1678.

Nathaniel Barnes (1676). Authorities: William Colman (1676). Authokitv: Boston

Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842; Records.
Boston Records. John Noyes (1676). Authorities: Remi-

Robert Butcher (1676). Authorities: Bos- niscences of a Nonagenarian, by Sarah A. Emery,

ton Records; Hill's Hist, of Old South Church. Newburyport, 1879; IJoston Records.



'676-7] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 243

William Phillips (1676). This is probably a re-entry of Major William Phillips.
He joined the Company in 1644, went to Saco, Me., about 1660, and returned to Boston
to reside in 1675-6, having been absent fifteen years. See page 142.

William Tomlins (1676) was, Mr. Whitman (1810) says, "a son or grandson of
Edward [1637]." When William Tomlin,' or Tomlyne (1676), joined the Artillery
Company in 1676, Ensign Wing (1671) and Sergt. Walley (1671) were his sureties.
In Ensign Wing's (1671) will, proved March 12, 1702-3, he mentions a daughter,
" Sarah Tomlin."

Samuel Wakefield (1676) was a resident of Boston in 1675. Mr. Whitman (iSio)
says, "In his house one of the great fires in Boston began." In 16S4, the General
Court refused his petition " to set up a wooden frame." He was an officer of the town
in 1685, 1 686, and 1687.

Isaac Walker (1676), of Boston, son of Isaac (1644), was born Sept. 27, 1645.
Sergt. Isaac Walker (1676) was appointed ensign in Capt. Daniel Henchman's (1675)
company, Oct. 13, 1680, and was promoted to be lieutenant of the same company,
Oct. 10, 1683.

Joshua Winsor (1676), of Boston, son of Robert, of Boston, was born June 6,
1647. Joshua (1676) was a member of the Second, or Mather's, Church, and became
a freeman in 1678. He was a member of Capt. Henchman's (1675) company, and a
tithing-nian in 1680, and held town office for several years afterward. He died in
November, 1717.^

Rev. Samuel Willard, of Boston, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1676.
He was a son of Major Simon Willard, of Groton ; was born Jan. 31, 1640, graduated
at Harvard College in 1659, and was ordained July 13, 1662. Mr. Willard married,
(i) Aug. 8, 1664, Abigail Sherman, of Watertown, and, (2) July 29, 1679, Eunice,
daughter of Edward Tyng {1642). He had been a fellow of Harvard College, and
subsequently the second minister in Groton, from whence he came to Boston, when
that town was raided by the Indians in March, 1676. He became a freeman in 1670,
and March 31, 1678, he was installed as colleague of Rev. Thomas Thacher, at the Old
South Church. On the resignation of Increase Mather as president of Harvard College,
Sept. 6, 1 70 1, Rev. Samuel Willard was made his successor as vice-president. He
resigned Aug. 14, 1707, and died Sept. 12 of that year.

Rev. Samuel Willard. Authorities: Hill's town that John Thomson should not be chargeable

Hist, of Old South Church; Sprague's Annals of to the town. — See Report of Boston A'cy. Com.,

American Pulpit; Eliot's Biog. Diet.; American Ko/. A'., /. 67.
Quar. Reg., XIL = See New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg. (will),

' July 29, 1680, William Tomlin (1676) signed 1866, p. 53.
his mark (" W. T. his marke") as surety unto the



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 36 of 73)