Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 45 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 45 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


300



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1693-4



say that for Sam (after dealing with him for some hundred pounds), he is very just, and
(as an effect of that) very thriving. I shall add to his character, that he is young and
witty, and the most beautiful man in the town of Boston."

He married Hannah Gillam, by whom he had six children. Gillam, the eldest son,
born in 1686, joined the Artillery Company in 17 14. Hannah, the eldest daughter,
married Habijah Savage (1699), and her sister. Faith, married Arthur Savage, son of
Thomas (1665).

Ensign Samuel (1693) died in October, 1720, aged fifty-eight years, his will being
proved the 30th of that month. He, with his wife, Hannah, joined the Old South
Church, Oct. 26, 1707.

He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1699, and served in minor town
offices, especially as a tithing-man.

March 26, 1693-4, the selectmen of Boston agreed that "Mr. Samuel Phillips
[1^93] s'^^^^ have the ground where the cage and watch hous stand leased to him for
2 1 years for to build a shop, he to dig a sellar under it he to pay 3''' p. ann. to the Town
after one year and a halfe, and leave the cellar to their dispose as soon as finished, the
building not exceeding 20 foot long and 12 foot wide, the stone work to be 12 inches
above the ground, he to have 14 foot of the upper room for a shop and to leave 6 foot
for a Watchhous." The selectmen's records for May 9, 1694, show that the building
occupied was of brick, and at the west end of the town-house, hence Mr. Phillips
(1693) became known as the shopkeeper " At the Brick-shop at the West end of the
Town House."

The Boston Gazette (1720) calls him "an exemplary Christian, an indulgent
husband, a kind father, and a true friend."

Thomas Savage (1693), gold and silver smith, of Boston, son of Lieut.-Col.
Habijah (1665), and nephew of Lieut.-Col. Thomas (1665), was born at Boston, Aug.

17, 1664. He married (i) Mehitabel Harwood and (2) Elizabeth . He became

a freeman in 1690; was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1700; ensign in
1701;^ lieutenant in 1703, and its captain in 1705. He united with the Old South
Church, July 12, 1702. Lieut.-Col. Savage (1693) served as a tithing-man in 1696, and
a constable in 1697.

Samuel Phillips (1693). Authorities : Bos- "[1720-1] Midweek, March 8. Serene. I,t

ton Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Hill's Hist, of Col Thomas Savage was entombed. The Regiment

Old South Church. were under Arms; was a Led-IIorse. Bearers,

July 5, 1714. at a meeting of the principal men Thomas Hutchinson esqr; Adam Winthrop esqr;

of the Old South Church, "they began to speak Edward Lyde esqr; David Jeff ries Esqr ; Mr. Samuel

about Deacons," those acting being old and inliim. Greenwood, Mr. John Pitts of the North. But few

Some one named " Mr. Sam'l Phillips." Judge Gentlewomen foUowVl. was buried in his Grand-

Sewall (1679) adds, in his diary, " I said nothing." father Savage's Tomb in the old Burying place. I

" [ ' 7 > 7] Nov'r 1 6, Mr Samuel Phillips drowned, was not at the Funeral." — Si-nmll Papers, Vol. III.,

was now Buried." — Seitmll Papers, Vol. 111., p. p. 284.

145. (He was the son of Samuel (1693), and was ' In 1701, when Judge Sewall (1679) waselected

"near home on his return from London"; aged captain of the Artillery Company, all the officers

twenty-four years ) elected but two were members of the Old South

Thomas Savage (1693). Authority: Bos- Church, and the pastor of that church delivered the

ton Records. sermon; so that it is called "a South Church occa-

Mr. Whitman (1810) is prob.ably in error in sion." Among other pleasantries in his speech of

calling Thomas (1693) son of Thomas (1665), as thanks, Judge Sewall (1679) says, "The savages

the former would have been less than twenty years were souldiers ex Traduce.'''
old when he was elected ensign. He was, as above,
the son of Habijah (1665).




3'^(^>ruL€idL




J694-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 3OI

Lieut.-Col. Savage (1693) died March 3, 1721. His inventory, April 21, 1721,
contains: brick iiouse and land in Dock Square, ^1,400; brick house in Union Street,
;^5oo; wooden house, ^730; other lands, etc.; total real estate, ;^2,83o; real and
personal, ^3,899.

Samuel Wentworth (1693), son of Samuel Wentworth, of Portsmouth, and grandson
of Elder William Wentworth, "the emigrant," was born in Portsmouth, N. H , April 9,
1666. He remained at home until after the death of his father, in 1690-1, when he
removed to Boston, and became an eminent merchant. He married (i) Hannah
Wiggin, of Exeter, who died Feb. i, 1 690-1 ; (2) Elizabeth Hobson, of Boston, and
(3) Abigail, widow of Christopher Goffe, mariner. He died at Boston in 1736, his
widow being appointed administratrix of his estate, July 21, 1736. Among his effects
were: a negro man named Cato, valued at _;^ioo; negro, Tom, ;^7o, and negro
woman, Rose, ;^7o.

Samuel Wentworth (1693) was an officer of the town in 1694, i6g6, 1698, 1699,

1712, 1713, and 1718, and was a tithing-man in 1709, 1715, and 1717. He was a
health officer for the Mill Bridge ward, and lived on Ann Street, near the bridge. In

1713, he was permitted to dig "a Cross Anne Street for the Laying his Cellar drain."
The same year he was elected to have care and inspection of the Mill Bridge ward.
He united with the Old South Church, March 14, 1707-8.

Rev. John Danforth, of Dorchester, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1693.
He was a son of Rev. Samuel Danforth, of Roxbury, who preached the sermon before
the Artillery Company in 1667, and was born Nov. 8, 1660, graduating at Harvard
College in 1677. He settled in Dorchester, and was ordained, June 28, 1682, the
seventh minister of the Dorchester church. He held that relation to the church until
1730, proving his worth and fidelity through a continuous pastorate of more than forty
years. He died May 26, 1730.

Mr. Blake, in his Annals, says of him : " He was said to be a man of great learning ;
he understood mathematics beyond most men of his function. He was exceeding
charitable, and of a very peaceful temper. He took much pains to eternize the names
of many of the good Christians of his own flock ; and yet the world is so ungrateful
that he has not a line written to preserve his memory ; no, not so much as upon his
tomb, he being buried in Lieut. -Gov. Stoughton's tomb that was covered with writing
before."



y- The officers elected were: Samuel Shrimpton (1670), captain;

1004'^. Samuel Checkley (1678), lieutenant; John Ballentine (1682), ensign.
■^ ' ^ John Keech (1692) was first sergeant; John Dyar (i6gi), second ser-
geant; John Marion, Jr. (1691), third sergeant; Enoch Greenleaf (1680), fourth
sergeant; William Robie (1684), clerk; Robert Cumby (1691), clerk's assistant, and
Samuel Marion (1691), drummer.

Samuel Wentworth (1693). Authorities: "April 2, 1694, Monday, .Vrtillery Training." —

Wentworth Genealogy; Boston Records. Scviall Papers, Vol. /., /. 389.



302 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1694-5

The members recruited in 1694 were : Jeremiah Allen, Joseph Allen, Thomas Baker,
John Ballentine, Jr., Joseph Billings, Edward Brattle, Nicholas Buttolph, Samuel Clough,
John Davenport, Hopestill Foster, Richard Green, Robert Gutteridge, Thomas Hutchin-
son, Thomas Phillips, George Robinson, John Savage, and Adam Winthrop, Jr.

Jeremiah Allen (1694), of Boston, was a son of Rev. James Allen, an "ejected
minister," who delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1664. Jeremiah Allen (1694)
was born in Boston, March 27, 1673, and married, June 25, 1695, Mary Caball, by whom
he had one daughter, who became the wife of John Wheelwright, of Boston. Jeremiah
(1694) was elected overseer of the poor in Boston, May 13, 1712. By direction of the
town, Col. Penn Townsend (1674), Jeremiah Allen (1694), and John Edwards (1699), visited
the South School, kept by Mr. Ames Angler (1708), and reported to the town. May 22,
1722, that they "are of Opinion That it will be no Service to the Totvn to Continue
Mr Angler [170S] in that Employ."

Mr. Allen's (1694) dwelling was near Mr. Colman's meeting-house, on Brattle Street.
He was elected treasurer of the province, June 25, 17 14, and served until July 5, 1736.
He died, after a long illness, Jan. 6, 1741-2.

Joseph Alien (1694), was a son of Joseph and Ruth Allen, of Braintree, according
to Mr. Savage. He is given on the Boston Records as son of Joseph and Rebecca Allen,
— a family different from that of Jeremiah's (1694). Both Mr. Savage and Boston
Records give the same date of birth, viz., Jan. 3, 1672. Joseph (1694), having removed
to Boston, was elected to minor town ofifices in 1695, 1697, and 1698. Feb. 23, 1701,
the selectmen voted that "Joseph Allen [1694], his acco't of 17. 15. o for bullets is
allowed." Aug. 25, 1724, the town granted liberty to Mr. Joseph Allen (1694) "to take
up the Pavement and dig up the ground to lay a drain from the house where he [dwells]
in Hanover Street into the common sewer."

He married, July 7, 1701, Elizabeth Temple. He was fourth sergeant of the Artil-
lery Company in 1697, and also one of the "undertakers," or grantees and promoters,
of the Brattle Street Church in the following year. Mr. Allen (1694) was probably a
printer. In the report of the legislative committee, " appointed to print and sign the
bills of credit," under the Act of 1702, there is this item: "To Mr Jos Allen, for
printing 3200 plates at i^ Each, ^20." Mr. John Coney (1662) engraved the plates,
and Mr. Samuel Phillips (1693) furnished the paper.

Thomas Baker (1694), of Lynn, son of Edward, was born in Lynn in 1653, and
married, luly 10, 16S9, Mary Lewis of that town. He was admitted a freeman in 1691.
On the 13th of November, 1675, he, with fourteen others, was drafted in Lynn to serve
in the war with the Indians. Mr. Baker (1694) was in the Narraganset fight, as
appears by his affidavit : "June 8, 1730, Thomas Baker [1694] deposed and said that he
was seventy-seven years old," and testified as to the presence of certain persons in the
Narraganset fight in 1675. Fc^- 28, 1698, he killed two wolves, and received a bounty of
twenty shillings each.

Jeremiah Allen (1694). AuTHOKrriEs : Bos- Thomas Baker (1694). .\uthorities : Sav-

ton Records; Province Laws, Vol. VII., 1692-1702. age's Gen. Diet. ; Baker Genealogy.

Joseph Allen (1694;. Authorities: Prov-
ince Laws, Vol. VII., 1692-1702; Boston Records.



■694-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



303



John Ballentine, Jr. (1694), of Boston, merchant, son of Col. John IJallentine
(1682), was born March 15, 1675, and married, March 9, 1703, Mary, daughter of Hon.
Adam Winthrop (1692). He graduated at Harvard College in 1694, the same year he
joined the Artillery Company. He was one of a committee of thirty-one persons,
elected by the town Dec. 27, 1708, "to draught a Charter of Incorporation" for the
better government of the town. In 1709, he was elected overseer of the poor, but
declined, and in 171 1 was elected and served as a tithing-man. He was one of his
Majesty's justices of the peace, being appointed in 1728, and serving until his decease ;
also, he was "clerk of the Superior Court of Common Pleas," and register of deeds
for the county of Suffolk, "all which posts," says the New England Journal, of Jan. 6,
1735-6, "he discharged with great prudence and fidelity, and was a gentleman beloved
and esteemed among us."

Capt. Ballentine, Jr. (1694), was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in
1700, ensign in 1706, and lieutenant in 170S, and died Jan. 2, 1735-6.

Joseph Billings (1694), of Boston, grandson — as appears from Mr. Savage's Genea-
logical Dictionary — of Roger Billings, of Dorchester, was probably born in Braintree, but
removed to Boston, for the births of five children of Joseph (1694) and Hannah Billings,
born between 1691 and 1700, are recorded in the town books of Boston. His family,
in Braintree, were leather-dressers or tanners. Joseph (1694) was a tithing-man in 1698,
and a constable in 1700 and 1701. Dec. 3, 1711, liberty was granted to Joseph Billings
(1694) by the selectmen, to dig in Hanover Street, "for repairing his cellar drain."

Edward Brattle (1694), of Boston, son of Capt. Thomas Brattle (1675) '''"d
Elizabeth (Tyng) Brattle, was .born Dec. 18, 1670, and married, March 23, 1692-3,
Mary Legge, of Marblehead. He served as constable in 1696 in Boston, and was pro-
moted to be captain in the militia.

About 1 7 12 he settled in Marblehead, "where he possessed considerable real estate,
and acquired a high reputation as a successful and enterprising merchant." He died at
Marblehead, Sept. 9, 17 19. By his will, written Feb. 5, 1719, it appears that he owned
vessels, land, houses, shop and goods therein, and warehouse, besides lands at " Kenne-
beck, Quaboag and in ye Narragansetts."

Nicholas Buttolph (1694), of Boston, bookbinder, son of Thomas Buttolph, of
Boston, was born March 3, 1668, and married, June 28, 1699, Mary f kitteridge, daughter
of Robert (1694). His place of business was on what is now Washington Street, the
next door to his father-in-law's coffee-house. He was elected constable in 1704,
but declined ; and assessor in 1720, but was excused. From 17 19 to 1728, he carried on
the book-publishing and book-selling business, "near Guttridges Coffee-House," but
was in business about fifty years. He died Jan. 29, 1737, and his tomb is No. 60 in
the South Burial-Ground. Buttolph Street derives its name from this family.

He was third sergeant of the .Artillery Company in 1705 His son, John, joined
the Artillery Company in 17 18.

John Ballentine, Jr. (1694.) Authorities: "Marblehead .Sept. 12. On Wednesday last,

Savage's Gen. Diet.; Boston Records. the ninth Currant, Dyed here, Edward Brattle Esi].

Joseph Billings (1694). Authority: Boston in the 491I1 Year of his Age, and was Yesterday

Records. decently interr'd." — Boston Ncii'S-I.cttcr, Scpl, 14,

Edward Brattle (1694). Authority: De- 1719.
scendants of Thomas Brattle, by E. D. Harris, 1867.



304



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ['694-5



Samuel Clough (1694), of Boston, son of William and Mary (Adams) Clough, of
Charlestown, was born Dec. 6, 1665. He was a tithing-man in 1695 and 1697. The
selectmen ordered, Jan. i, 1701, "That whereas Samuel Clough [1694] did formerly
borrow the Town Globes, that he do now return them unto the Town Treasurer," and
the next month he mended the town-house clock.

Nov. 17, 1707, Ruth, widow of Samuel Clough, deceased, was refused a license to
retail strong drink.

John Davenport (1694), of Boston, son of John and Bridget Davenport, was born
June 13, 1672. John Davenport, the father, born at Salem, Mass, Sept. 19, 1641, was
a son of Richard Davenport (1639), the friend of Endicott, and captain of the Castle.

Hopestill Foster (1694), of Boston, shopkeeper (some say housewright), son of
Capt. Hopestill Foster (1673) and grandson of Capt. Hopestill Foster (1642), of
Dorchester, was born about 1670, and died Sept. 23, 1735. He was a constable of the
town in 1705 and 1731 ; clerk of the market in 1710 and 1720; tithing-man in 1710,
1715) lyi?) ^^^ 1722, and held other town office in 1720, and from 1725 to 1733,
e.xcept in three years.

He had a son, Hopestill, a bookseller in Boston. Hopestill (1694) was identified
with the militia, and, like his father and grandfather, rose to the grade of captain.

Richard Green (1694), of Boston, son of James (1674) and Rebecca (Jones)
Green, was born April 7, 1669. His father lived at Rumney Marsh, now Chelsea, at
Dorchester, and finally settled in Boston. His mother was a daughter of Thomas Jones
(1643), of Dorchester. His brother, Samuel, joined the Artillery Company in 1711.
Richard (1694) married, June i, 1692, Hannah Sherrar.

He was chosen scavenger in 1697, which was his only town office.

Robert Gutteridge (1694), of Boston, probably a son of John (1640), was born
in 1645. He kept a coffee-house on what is now Washington Street. His first wife,

Mary , by whom he had five children, died March 25, 1701, and he married, Feb.

II, 1703, widow Mary Thaxter, by whom he had three children. He was clerk of the
market in 1701 and 1706, and constable in 1707. He died Nov. 4, 1717, aged seventy-
two years.

Feb. 28, 1709, he was assessed one pound (total expense, three pounds sixpence)
for repairing " the pump standing in the town's ground in Cornhill." The cost of
repairs was assessed on, and paid by, those "who make use of said pump for their
supply of water." This pump stood in the middle of Cornhill, now Washington Street,
on a hne with the north side of Court Street. This approximately locates the coffee-
house of Robert Gutteridge (1694).

It was Robert, his eldest son, who was a witness in 1724, mentioned by Mr
Whitman (1810) in his history of the Company, page 232.

Thomas Hutchinson (1694), of Boston, merchant, son of Col. Elisha Hutchinson
(1670), and grandson of Capt. Edward Hutchinson (1638), was born Jan. 30, 1675,

Robert Gutteridge (1694). Authorities: Thomas Hutchinson (1694). Authorities:

Boston Records; Savage's Gen. Diet. Boston Records; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A.

Company; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg.



1694-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMI'ANY. 305

at Boston. His mother was Hannah Hawkins, daughter of Capt. Thomas Hawkins
(1638). He married, Dee. 24, 1703, Sarah, daughter of Col. John Foster (1679), by
whom he had two sons, Thomas and Foster, and five daughters. The elder, Thomas,
became Governor and historian of Massachusetts. Edward, half-brother of Col. Thomas
(1694), became a member of the Artillery Company in 1702.

Thomas (1694) was selectman of Boston in 1706 and 1707; representative to the
General Court from 1708 to 17 12; was elected a councillor in 17 14, and annually
thereafter- — except in 1724 and 1727— until his decease, Dec. 3, 1739. During these
years he was prominent in the public matters of the town and colony, and enjoyed the
fullest respect of his townsmen. He lived in the mansion house ' afterward occu])ied
by his son, while Governor, situated on Hanover Street.-

Mr. Whitman (1810), in the history of the Artillery Company, page 231, quotes:
" Regardless of the frowns of a Governor, or the threats of the people, he spoke and
voted according to his judgment, attaching himself to no party further than he found
their measures tended to promote the public interest."

In 1713,3 scheme for private banking and the issuing of paper money was pro-
jected, which Col. Hutchinson (1694) violently opposed. "He was an enemy all his
life to a depreciating currency, upon a principle very ancient, but too seldom practised
upon, nil utile quod non hones turn." At length, after a long struggle, the party for a
public bank prevailed in the General Court for a loan of fifty thousand pounds, in bills
of credit, which were put into the hands of five trustees, and loaned for five years only,
to any of the inhabitants, at five per cent interest, one-fifth part of the principal to be
paid annually. He and his brother, Edward (1702), were appointed two of these
trustees; "but," says Mr. Whitman (1810), "their efforts were unavailing to keep up
their value, and from this time may be dated the origin of the distresses of the country
on account of depreciation and scarcity of money and ' old terror ' troubles."

Though not a graduate of Harvard College, he gave that institution three hundred
pounds, and died possessed of a large property. In his inventory are mentioned his
coach and horses, which only the very wealthy in those days possessed. He lived to
participate in the first centennial anniversary of the Artillery Company.

He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1698, ensign in 1699,
lieutenant in 1701, and captain in 1704 and 1718.

He was distinguished for independence of character in times of great party excite-
ment ; was much esteemed for his integrity and for his benevolence, freely giving of
his means to both public and private interests. In 1711, the town voted thanks to
Capt. Thomas Hutchinson (1694), "for as much as he hath offered at his own charge
to build a School House at the North End of the town." A lot was purchased between
Bennett and Love streets for one hundred and fifty-three pounds. But it was April 29,
1 7 19, when the gift had been absolutely completed, and the town then voted, "The
Thanks of this Town unto the doners of the Two North School Houses, vizt ; — The
Hon'ble Thomas Hutchinson Esqr [1694] for the Gramer Schoolhouse. And ye Sd
Mr Thoms Hutchinson [1694] and also Edward Hutchinson [1702] Esqrs for ye
Writing Sch. House." Such benefactors should be held in grateful remembrance by a
municipality which names its school-houses in honor of men. No school-house in Boston
bears the name of either of these generous citizens.

' See Mass. Hist. Soc. Procs., February, 18S1.

- See American Magazine, Vol. H., for a view of the Hutchinson house.



306 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1694-5

Thomas Phillips (1694), shopkeeper, of Boston, son of Nicholas and Hannah
(Saher) Phillips, was born Oct. 19, 1667. He received a license to sell wine and strong
liquor, July 3, 1701; June 28, 1708, he again petitioned the selectmen for a license,
saying that he had been " wounded in His Majesty's Service and there by rendered
unable to do anything at his Trad toward his Support." The Selectmen granted him
license as a " Retaylor at his House next door to Mrs Hauksworths at Comhill in
Boston." It was renewed in 171 1, and allowed in subsequent years until 1724, when
he was refused a license. He subsequently — 1730- — is licensed in " Corn Hill," and
continued at the same place and in the same business until his decease, in 1734. His
will, dated Aug. 16, was proved Sept. 9, 1734.

There were two or more persons of this name in Boston from 1700 to 1725. One
held the ofifice of selectman, and owned real estate.

George Robinson (1694), of Boston, carver, son of George and Mary (Bushnell)

Robinson, was born in Boston, March 30, 1658. He married Elizabeth , and their

first child, George, who joined the Artillery Company in 1710, was born Dec. 28, 1680.
On the 7th of November of that year, George (1694) united with the Second Church.
May 5, 1686, he was chosen by the selectmen of Boston a ti thing-man, at which time
he was a member of Major Richards's (1644) military company. In 1694-5, he served
as constable, and was third sergeant of the Company in 1697.

John Savage (1694), of Boston, the fourteenth child and tenth son of Major Thomas
Savage (1637), was born Aug. 15, i66i, and graduated at Harvard College in 1694.

Adam Winthrop, Jr. (1694), son of Col. Adam Winthrop (1692), grandson of
Hon. Adam Winthrop (1642), and great-grandson of John Winthrop, the first Governor

of Massachusetts, was born in England, and married Anne . He graduated at

Harvard College in 1694.

He was very active in military affairs, passing through the various grades, and
became major of the Boston regiment in 1706, and lieutenant-colonel in 1709, and at
one time was commander at Castle William. He was also ensign of the Artillery Com-
pany in 1702, lieutenant in 1704, and captain in 1706. He was representative from
Boston to the General Court in 17x4 and 17 15, and was a councillor from 1715 to 1718
inclusive; also from 1725 to 1729 inclusive, except in 1727. He was appointed a special
justice of the Superior Court, June 22, 1733, having been a justice of peace since June
30, 1702. March 9, 1701-2, he was elected constable, but declined to serve, and
Dec. 27, 1708, was chosen one of a committee of thirty-one to draw up a charter of
incorporation for the town. May 15, 1710, he declined to act as moderator of the
town meeting, and the next year declined the office of selectman, to which he had been
elected. From 1715 to 1742, he served on the most important special committee of the
town. He was one of a committee to advise the town in regard to the erection of a
public market ; of others, to see about the site of the school-house which Col. Thomas
Hutchinson (1694) proposed to present to the town; to inspect the schools; select a

Thomas Phillips (1694). Autikirities: Bos- Adam Winthrop, Jr. (1694.) Authorities:

ton Records; Whitman's Hist. A. and II. A. Com- Whitman's Hist. A. and H. .A. Company, Ed. 1842;
pany, Ed. 1842; Savage's Gen. Diet. ^ Savage's Gen. Diet. ; Boston Records.

George Robinson (1694). AuTiioiuTiiis:
Boston Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.



1694-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. ' 307

school teacher; to suggest a method for impanelling juries; to oppose the formation of
a new county in 1727. The last two committees upon which he served linked his name



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 45 of 73)