Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 46 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 46 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


permanently with that which became the " Cradle of Liberty."

Sept. 13, 1742, the receiving of Faneuil Hall was officially recognized by the town.
A committee was appointed, of which Col. Adam Winthrop (1694) was one, " to wait
upon Peter Faneuil in the name of the town, to render him their most hearty thanks for
so bountiful a gift, with their prayers that this and other expressions of his bounty and
charity may be abundantly recompensed with the Divine blessing."

Sept. 17, 1742, when the Governor, through Hon. John Jeffries, presented the town
with his Majesty's picture, "to be hung up in Faneuil Hall," it was unanimously voted
that "the Hon. Adam Winthrop [1694], Samuel Waldo, and Ezekiel Lewis [1707], Escjs.,
be a committee to draw up a proper vote of thanks to his Excellency for his great good-
ness and generosity in making the present." The committee made a report which was
accepted, and Col. Winthrop (1694) was chosen one of a committee to wait upon his
Excellency with a copy of the same. His residence was on Atkinson Street, Boston.

He died Oct. 2, 1743, the inventory of his estate amounting to seven hundred and
fifteen pounds.

Rev. Moses Fiske, of Braintree, a son of Rev. John Fiske, of Wenham, delivered
the Artillery election sermon of 1694. He was born at Wenham, April 12, 1642 ; grad-
uated at Harvard College in 1662; was ordained at Braintree, Sept. 11, 1672, and died
Aug. 10, 1708. From April 27, 1668, to Sept. 11, 1672, the church at Braintree was
without a settled pastor, it being divided and contentious. Finally, Mr. Moses Fiske
was sent to the church " to minister to it in holy things," by order of the County Court
held at Boston. Freegrace Bendall (1667), clerk of the court, sent to Mr. Fiske a copy
of the order of the court. Mr. Fiske obeyed, and, going to Braintree, took charge of
the church, and preached his first sermon there Dec. 3, 1671. On Feb. 24, 1671-2,
the united church gave him a unanimous call to settle, and Sept 11, 1672, Mr. Fiske
preaching his own installation sermon, he became the third regular pastor of the church
in Braintree.

"This excellent person was ordained pastor of the church in Braintree in September,
1672, in which sacred employment he continued until his dying day, a diligent, faithful
laborer in the harvest of Jesus Christ ; studious in the Holy Scriptures ; having an
extraordinary gift in prayer, above many good men, and in preaching equal to the most,
inferior to few ; zealously diligent for God and the good of men ; one who thought no
labor, cost or suffering too dear a price for the good of his people." '

He was buried in Braintree. The following is taken from his gravestone : —

" Here rests the body of Rev. Moses Fiske, deceased

August 10, 1708 in the 66'li year of his age and

the 36'h of his ministry."

" Braintree ! Thy prophets gone, this tomb inters
The Rev. Moses Fiske, his sacred herse.
Adore heavens praiseful art that formed the man,
Who souls not to himself, but Christ oft won;
Sailed through the straits with Peter's family,
Renowned, and Gaius hospitality,
Pauls patience, James prudence, John's sweet love,
Island'd enter'd, clear'd and crown'd above."

' Diary of Mr. John Marshall.



3o8 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1695-6

^ ^ The officers elected were: Nicholas Paige (1693), captain; John

J QQ C-Q^ Atwood (1673), lieutenant; Thomas Hunt (1685), ensign. Nathaniel
^^ Holmes (1693) was first sergeant; Benjamin Dyar (1691), second

sergeant ; John Clough (1691), third sergeant; Joseph Briscoe (1692), fourth sergeant;
William Robie (1684), clerk; Robert Cumby (1691), clerk's assistant, and Samuel
Marion (169 1), drummer.

The members recruited in 1695 were : John Bucanan, Anthony Checkley, Jr.,
William Clough, David Dure, Richard Gridley, Ambrose Hunnewell, Samuel Shrimp-
ton, Jr., William Sutton.

John Bucanan (1695) was a baker in Boston. He is probably the John, son "of
John and Mary Bowhanon," born in Boston, Aug. 23, 1661. Children were born in
Boston to John (1695) and Elizabeth Bucanon — the name is spelled several ways —
between 1693 and 1699. John Bucanan (1695) held town office in 1700, 1706, 1707,
and 1715, and in 1704 served as a tithing-man. John " Buckannon " (1695) is named
with other "Loafe Bread Bakers " who were " convented before the General Court," Dec.
16, 1696, for violating the law in regard to "the due assize of bread."

Administration was granted on his estate, Feb. 28, 1731.

Anthony Checkley, Jr. (1695), of Boston, was, according to Mr. Whitman (1810),
a son of Capt. Anthony Checkley (1662). Anthony, Jr. (1695), does not appear to be
mentioned on the Records of the Town of Boston. He was fourth sergeant of the
Artillery Company in 1698. He died Oct. 31, 1702.

William Clough (1695), of Boston, mason. He was a town officer in 1686; was a
tithing-man in 1694, surveyor of chimneys in 1695, and a constable in 1699. By wife,
Lydia, he had five children born in Boston between 1686 and 1698. A William Clough
joined the Second Church, April 7, 1689. .Administration on the estate of a William
Clough was granted March 18, 1733, and a William Clough died Feb. i, 1727, aged
seventy-two years.

David Dure (1695), — this name should be Dewer, — of Boston, son of Sampson and
Sarah Dewer, and brother of Sampson Dewer (1718), was born in Boston, Dec. 5, 1674.
He does not appear to have held any town office.

Richard Gridley (1695), currier, of Boston, son of Joseph (1662) and Elizabeth
Gridley, and grandson of Richard (1658), was born about 1660, and married Hannah
(Morse) Dawes, widow of Jonathan, Feb. 27, 1694. He was a constable of Boston in
1696; surveyor of highways in 1698, 1699, 1701, and 1708; clerk of the market in
1705, and a tithing-man in 1710. He joined the Old South Church, June 25, 1693.
He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1697.

Ambrose Hunnewell (1695), of Boston.

John Bucanan (1695). Authorities: Bos- "Sept 2, 1695, Artillery Training. Dine at

ton Recorils; Pruviiice Laws, Vol. VII., p. 567. George Monk's, invited by Col. Paige; Mr. Moodey

Richard Gridley (1695). Authorities: Bos- and Mr. Chieuer there, Aldington, Foster." — Snu-

ton Records: Savage's Gen. Diet. all Papers, Ko/. /.,/■. 411.



1695-6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 309

Samuel Shrimpton, Jr. (1695), of Boston, son of Col. Samuel (1670) and Eliza-
beth (Roberts) Shrimpton, was born in Boston, April 20, 1673. Samuel, Jr. (1695),
married. May 7, 1696, Elizabeth Richardson, a niece of Col. Samuel's (1670) wife, being
the daughter of her sister, Sarah (Roberts) Richardson. They had one child, Elizabeth,
born in Boston, Aug. z6, 1702. She married, May 6, 1720, John Yeamans, and died
Dec. 4, 1 72 1. All her grandchildren died young, and this branch of the Shrimpton
family became extinct.

Samuel Shrimpton, Jr. (1695), was a merchant in Boston. "About the year 1702,
he was in partnership with a cousin of his father, Epaphras Shrimpton, who was the son
of Edward Shrimpton. On the 28th of December, 1702, Samuel Shrimpton [1695], in
'his humble complaint and petition' to the Hon. Isaac Addington [1652], Esq., and
other justices of the peace, relates that he had been engaged in a partnership with the
said Epaphras ; that consignments had been given them to a considerable amount from
merchants in England, and the accounts had been entered in sundry books, which had
been at all times in the possession of said Epaphras Shrimpton ; and that, on the Satur-
day previous, these books were so badly burned ' as to be of no manner of use ' to the
petitioner." He proceeds to say that he has great reason to suspect these books " were
destroyed with the privity " of his aforenamed partner. The whole affair was examined,
but we do not learn the result. The accused affirmed that he was innocent.'

About 1700, he engaged with Simeon Stoddard (1702) and others in the manu-
facture of salt, " on the Neck, in the town of Boston." The salt-works were in operation
in 1720.

Samuel Shrimpton, Jr. (1695), died May 25, 1703. His widow married, Dec. 23,
1713, David Stoddard, son of Simeon (1675).

William Sutton (1695), of Boston, son of Bartholomew Sutton, of Boston, was
born March 3, 1667, and married Mary Johnson, Jan. 31, 1694. He was chosen a
constable of Boston, March 11, 1705-6, and was fourth sergeant of the .Artillery
Company in 1700. July 3, 1721, Capt. Jonathan Pollard (1700) petitioned the select-
men for a license to keep an inn in the house of the late William Sutton (1695),
deceased.

Rev. Peter Thacher, of Milton, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1695.
He was a son of Rev. Thomas Thacher, who delivered the Artillery election sermon in
1671 ; was born at Salem, Mass., July 18, 1651, and graduated at Harvard College in
1671. He was chosen third fellow of the college, June 15, 1674. In 1676, in company
with Judge Sewall (1679) and Rev. John Danforth, who delivered the ."Xrtillery election
sermon in 1693, he visited Europe, and was absent a year or more, pursuing his
studies. On his return, he settled at Barnstable, where he remained one year, and in
September, 1680, removed to Milton, by invitation of the church there, and settled over
it. Ten members of the church went to Barnstable to conduct him to his new home,
and a cavalcade of fifty-seven horsemen accompanied him as far as Sandwich. He
accepted the invitation to settle with the Milton church, May 18, 168 r, and was ordained
over that church, June i following. Mr. Thacher wrote in his journal : " May 20. 'I'his

Samuel Shrimpton, Jr. (1695.) xVuthorities : Sumner's Hist, of East Boston; Boston Records;
Savage's Gen. Diet.

' Sumner's East Boston, pp. 233, 234.



3IO HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1696-7

day the ordination beer was brewed." A full and interesting account of his life and
work is given in the History of Milton, by A. K. Teele.

He died Dec. 17, 1727, after a pastorate of forty-six years. Judge Sewall (1679)
attended the funeral of his life-long friend and classmate, having hired for the occasion
"Blake's coach with four horses."



, , The officers elected were: Bozoun Allen (1676), captain; Henry

T QQQ-'T Deering (1682), lieutenant; John Barnard (1677), ensign. Timothy
^ ' Wadsworth (1691) was first sergeant; Thomas Baker (1694), second
sergeant; William Paine (1691), third sergeant; John Kilby (1691), fourth sergeant;
William Robie (1684), clerk; Robert Cumby (1691), clerk's assistant, and Samuel
Marion (1691), drummer.

England and France continued at war. Each desired a complete conquest of the
American continent. The French in Canada believed that the English would send a
fleet against them to retrieve the misfortune of 1690, and intelligence came to Massa-
chusetts that a French fleet was destined to make an attack on the province, and
especially on Boston. This caused great alarm, but the projected expedition was not
prosecuted. The fortifications of Boston were examined, and found to be " very much
out of repair, and unfit for service." Therefore it was advised that the platforms and
carriages for the great artillery be repaired, " so as they may be of service in case of
invasion."

Col. Samuel Shrimpton (1670), Lieut.-Col. Hutchinson (1670), and Major Penn
Townsend (1674), with the selectmen, six out of nine of whom were members of the
Artillery Company, were appointed a committee " to make application unto the com-
mander-in-chief for directions that the said platforms and carriages be speedily repaired,
and fitted to be of service."

The three members of the Artillery Company above named were, in the following
March, appointed to " examine after the town's powder that is lost," and fix the wages
of the gunner. Subsequently, the town voted that William Tilley (1706) "should be
allowed 20/1/ per year for his service as gunner to the town, for 3 years past."

The members recruited in 1696 were ; William Crow and Seth Smith.

William Crow (1696) was of Boston in 1691. He was married by Simon Brad-
street, Governor, to Eliza Sergeant, Dec. 10, 1691, and they had four children born in
Boston, prior to 1700. He held a town office in 1702.

Seth Smith (1696), of ISoston in 1693, was born in 1665, and was married, Jan. 10,
1693, by Rev. Cotton Mather, to Mehitable Heath. Four children were born to them in
Boston. He held town office in 1696 and 1697, in 1704 and 1705, and was also a
tithing-man in 1696. In 1707-8, he occupied a house belonging to the town, situated
on Beacon Street, at " whetcombs corner." He died Nov. 29, 1721, aged fifty-six years.



"i97-S] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 3II

Rev. Michael Wigglesworth/ of Maiden, delivered the Artillery election sermon of
1696. He was an only son of Edward Wigglesworth, of New Haven, and was born in
England, Oct. 28, 1631. He received his first training in study under the direction of
the famous Ezekiel Cheever, of Boston, and entered Harvard College in 1647. During
his residence at college, Henry Dunster (1640), noted for his erudition and disci-
pline, was its president. In 1651, he graduated, and was soon after appointed a
tutor in the college. He was ordained at Maiden in 1654, but after preaching a few
years, his health failing, he was forced to relinquish the care of a church. During the
twenty following years he practised as a physician, when, his health being restored, he
resumed ministerial labors. He delivered the election sermon of 1686, and the Artillery
election sermon of 1696, but is especially noted as being the author of a poem called
"The Day of Doom." It was first printed in 1662, and the sixth edition appeared in
1 7 16. It was twice reprinted in England. " The poem is of no value as poetry ; ... it
is a description of the Day of Judgment in coarse, realistic strokes." ^

He died on Sunday morning, June 10, 1705, in the seventy-fourth year of his age,
after a career of great usefulness and honor.



, p. The officers elected were: Elisha Hutchinson (1670), captain;

I 0Q7'O. J°'^" Ballentine (1682), lieutenant; Samuel Johnson (1675), ensign.
''• Thomas Gushing (1691) was first sergeant; Richard Gridley (1695),

second sergeant; George Robinson (1694), third sergeant; Joseph Allen (1694), fourth
sergeant; Robert Gibbs (1692), clerk; Robert Cumby (1691), clerk's assistant, and
Samuel Marion (1691), drummer.

The war was terminated by the treaty of Ryswick, and King William saw his efforts to
arrest the progress of French conquests attended with complete success. The treaty
was made Dec. 10, 1697, but, during the year of 1697, the records are redundant with
"fortifications," "repairs," "batteries," "powder," etc., showing the earnestness and
patriotism of the people. Prominent in every public work, and watchful for the interests
of the town, were the leading members of the Artillery Company. Three of the four
representatives to the General Court, six out of ten of the selectmen, all the members
of the various committees whose duty it was to repair defences and provide necessar)'
military supplies, were members of the Artillery Company.

The members recruited in 1697 were : John Mountfort and Zechariah Tuttle.

Rev. Michael Wigglesworth. Authorities: preaches the Artillery Sermon, from Ephes. 6, 11.

New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1847, 1863; Eliot's Put on the whole Armour of God, that ye may be

Biog. Diet.; Sprague's Annals of American Pulpit; able to stand against the wiles of the Devil. In the

Sibley's Harvard Graduates. Applications, said 'twas necessary we should doe so

"[1697] Second-day, Apr. 5A. No Artillery by reason of the evil of the Times or else of Popery,

Training, .ind consequently no choice of a Minister or something as bad as Popery should come to be

as usual. Last night and this morning were very set up, what should we doe? Mentioned Rev. 16,

cold, possibly that might be the reason. Street 15 said the Garments there and .\rmour in the Text

of earth and water was hard frozen." — 5raw// were the same. About Diner Time the Guns were

Papers, Vol. /., /. 451. fired at the Castle and Battery for joy that the Plot

"Second-day, April 12, 1697. . . . This day was discovered." — 5«.w// /'<7/<;.(, JW. /., /. 427.
Artillery meets; z\va&." — Snuall Papers, Vol. /., -' Prof. Charles E. Norton, at Hingham, August,

/. 452. 1881.

I "Second-day June i, 1696, Mr. Wigglesworth



312



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1697-8



John Mountfort (1697), cooper, fourth son of Edmund, and nephew of Benjamin
(1679), was born in Boston, Feb. S, 1670. On the 17th of January, 1693, he married
Mary Cock, granddaughter of Nicholas Upshall (1637). He was the owner of "Mount-
fort's Wharf," so called, and was engaged in the West India business, connected with
which he had an extensive store and cooperage establishment. He died on the 23d of
January, 1723, and was interred in the Mountfort tomb, No. 17, Copp's Hill Burial-
Ground. This tomb was built by him in 1711.

John Mountfort (1697) was great-grandfather of Major Napoleon B. Mountfort
(1826).

Zechariah TutHe (1697), of Boston, called "Captain," son of John and Mary
Ttittle, and grandson of Lieut. John (1644), was born in 1669. His name is spelled
Tuthill, and is so written in his will.

He served as constable of Boston in i6g8, and was one of the twenty persons,
called "undertakers," to whom, in 1698, Thomas Brattle (1675) conveyed the lot upon
which the Brattle Street meeting-house was erected in 1698. He was captain of a
military company in Boston in 1707 and 1708. He died Jan. 7, 1721, aged fifty-two
years. His will, dated Jan. 3, 1721, was proved on the 5th of February following. He
was ensign of the Artillery Company in 1700, and lieutenant in T702.

Capt. Zechariah Tuttle (1697) was commander of the Castle in 17 11, when the
armament, consisting of fifteen ships of war, with forty transports and six store-ships,
under the command of Gen. Hill and Admiral Walker, arrived in Boston Harbor. When
Gen. Hill arrived, Hon. Samuel Sewall (1679) was sent down the harbor to meet him.
The party came in boats to the Castle, when Capt. Tuttle (1697) saluted them with
twenty-one guns. Thence they proceeded to the council chamber in Boston, after which
Gen. Hill was entertained by Mr. John Borland (1692).

Capt. Tuttle (1697) was commander of the Castle from Jan. 16, 1710, to Nov. 28,
1720. Mr. Drake is in error in making John Larrabee commander from 17 12 to 1762.
He became lieutenant of the Castle, June 16, 1725, and was only a quarter-gunner in
November, 1720.

Capt. Tuttle's (1697) sister, "Sarah, was wife of James Gooch, and Mary was the
wife of Deacon Thomas Hubbard."

John Mountfort (1697). AuTHORrry : Copp's In October following, " Betty " Sewall accepted

Hill Burial-Ground, by Bridgman. the attentions of Grove Hirst, whom she after-

"1693-4, Jan. 17. This day John Mountfort wards married, and Mr. Tuttle's advances were

[1697] marries Mr. Bridgham's wives Daughter." — rejected.
Sc-u'till's Diary, Vol. /., /. 388. The following appeared in the News-Leltcr,

Zechariah Tuttle (1697). Authority: New Jan. 15, 1722: " Boston, On the Lord's Day Night,

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1868. the 7<h instant, Died here Capt. Zechariah Tuthill,

" [1698-9] 2d Day, Jan 2. I speak to Mr. Mico aged 52 years. He was a Gentleman entirely and

about 8 M. at his house, largely about Capt Tuttle. universally esteemed of, and favoured by, all De-

Saith he never heard any ill of him, in answer to grees of People, both High and Low that Knew

my asking if he had any blot. Saith knows not his him, being one of a Just, Affable, Courteous, and

estate but thinks it may be about 6 or 700 £■ . ■ . Generous Spirit : Adorning the Post he sustained,

Jan. — . at night Capt Tuthill comes to speak with as Captain of His Majesty's Castle William (the

Betty, who hid her self all alone in the coach for chief Fort of this Province) for about 10 Years past:

several hours till he was gon, so that we sought at The duty whereof he singularly and diligently at-

several houses, till at last came in of her self, and tended to and carefully and faithfully discharged,

look'd very wild. . . . Jan 9. speaks with her in my to the General content and satisfaction, both of the

presence. . . . Jan 10 at night sent Mr. Tuthill away. Government, his Superior Officers and Soldiers, as

because company was here, and told him was willing well as the Inhabitants, and therefore being greatly

to know her mind better." — Siioall Papers, Vol. beloved by all in his Life, he is now as much

/., //. 490-492. lamented in his Death. He was Honourably In-

" June 5, 1699. . . . M.T. [Mr. Tuttle] Wednes- terred on Thursday last the nth current."
day nights." — Sewall Papers, Vol. I., p. 498.



1698-9] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 313

Rev. Nehemiah Walter, of Roxbury, delivered the Artillery election sermon of
1697. He was a brother of Thomas, of Roxbury, and was born in Ireland. Tradition,
according to Mr. Savage, says " he was sent by his father to be apprentice to an uphol-
sterer in Boston in 1674 " ; but, having been trained in one of the best schools in Ireland,
he was enabled to graduate at Harvard College in 1684. At thirteen, he could converse
fluently in Latin. Later, while sojourning in Nova Scotia, he gained such mastery of the
French language as enabled him to preach occasionally, in the absence of their pastor,
to the French congregation in Boston, in their own tongue.' He was ordained, Oct. 17,
1688, as colleague with Rev. John Eliot, pastor of the Roxbury church.

He married, in i6gi, Sarah, daughter of Rev. Increase Mather, and sister of Rev.
Cotton Mather.

The pastorates of Rev. John Eliot and Rev. Nehemiah Walter extended over a
period of one hundred and eighteen years. The latter died Sept. 17, 1750, at the age
of eighty-seven years.

In 1721, Rev. Mr. Walter published a small volume, entitled " The Grounds and
Rules of Music explained ; or. An Introduction to the Art of Singing by Note. Fitted
to the meanest Capacity." It ran through several editions prior to 1764. Rev. Cotton
Mather preached a commemorative discourse concerning Rev. Mr. Walter, which was
printed under the title, "A Good Reward of a Good Servant."



, p. The officers elected were : Penn Townsend (1674), captain ; Thomas

I OQO'Q* Hunt (1685), lieutenant; Samuel Marshall (1685), ensign.

-^ -^ was first sergeant ; Thomas Hutchinson (1694), second sergeant ; Adam
Winthrop (1692), third sergeant ; Anthony Checkley, Jr. (1695), fourth sergeant; Robert
Gibbs (1692), clerk, and Samuel Marion (1691), drummer.

Rev. Cotton Mather, in his Boston lecture. May 7, 1698, said, "The small-pox has
four times been a great plague upon us. In one twelvemonth about one thousand of our
neighbors have, one way or other, been carried unto their long home ; and yet we are,
after all, many more than seven thousand souls of us at this hour Hving on the spot.
Ten times has the fire made notable ruins among us, and our good servant been almost
our master ; but the ruins have mostly and quickly been rebuilt. I suppose that many
more than a thousand houses are to be seen on this little piece of ground, all filled with
the undeserved favors of God." -

The members recruited in 1698 were: David Buckley, John Cotta, Jr., Benjamin
Emmons, Jr., and John Noyes.

David Buckley (1698) was of Boston in 1697. He was married to Hannah Tally,
by Rev. Cotton Mather, June 3, 1697.

John Cotta, Jr. (1698), hatter, of Boston, son of John Cotta (1679), tailor, of
Boston, was born Nov. 23, 1671, and married. May 4, 1698, Sarah, daughter of Richard
Wharton, son-in-law of Capt. William Tyng (1638). In the administration of his estate.

Rev. Nehemiah Walter. Authorities: New John Cotta, Jr. (169S.) Authority: Boston

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S53; Spiague's Annals Records,
of American ruljiit; Eliot's Biog. Diet. ' Drake's Hist, of Roxbury, p. 172.

^ Mather's Magnalia, Ed. 1S55, Vol. L, p. 92.



314



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1698-9



June 17, 1728, he is called "felt-maker." He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Com-
pany in 1705, and clerk of the market in 1706.

July 10, 1722, "John & Sarah Cotta in Cornhill " were approved and recommended
by the selectmen as retailers of strong drink, and July 5, 1728, the license was granted
to "Sarah Cotta in Corn Hill."

John Cotta (1698) died June 9, 1728, aged fifty-six years.

Benjamin Emmons, Jr. (1698), trader, of Boston, son of Benjamin and Mary
Emmons, was born Jan. 24, 1669, and by wife, Elizabeth, had two daughters born in
Boston. He became a member of the Old South, March 27, 1698. He was a tithing-
man and member of the Boston militia in 1704, and for several years held town offices.



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 46 of 73)