Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 50 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 50 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


President Munroe, superintended the rebuilding of the Capitol of the United States,
when burned by the British in 1814.

In 1720, the South burying- place was enlarged by the extension of it towards the
Common, or training-field. Fifteen tombs were built the next year, one of which was
assigned to Adino Bulfinch (1702). He died in 1746, and his will, in which he speaks
of his advanced age, was proved June 17, 1746.

Timothy Clarke (1702), of Cambridge and Boston, was by profession a mariner.
An obituary, published in the Weekly Journal, June 21, 1737, eight days after the death of
Capt. Timothy (1702), describes him as a "son of the exemplary, pious and wellknown
Mr Jonas Clarke, Ruling Elder of the Church at Cambridge, where he was born in 1657.
He followed the sea till he was near forty years of age ; when, settling on shore, he was
successively employed by this town in the various offices of Assessor, Selectman, ( )ver-

Adino Bulfinch (1702). AuTHoiuriEs : King's Timothy Clarke (1702). AuruoKmEs: Bos-

Cbapel Burial-Ground, by Britlgman; Drake's Hist. ton Rucurds; Paige's Hist, of Canil>ridj;e; Drake's
of Boston, pp. 663, 664; Boston Records. Hist, of Boston; Province Laws, Vol. VII., 1692-

1702.



336 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ["702-3

seer of the Poor, &c, and by the Government as Captain of our south and north batteries,
overseer of the building of Castle William, with Col. Romer, director and overseer of
the fortifications on the Neck, and of the building our Light-house, and as a Justice of
the Peace. He had likewise served as a member of the Hon. House of Representatives
in the time of the Non-resident Act ; and he discharged the duty of every employment
with singular wisdom, diligence and fidelity ; and was esteemed among us as a pattern of
every grace and virtue, a true and sincere lover of his country, and who took a singular
pleasure in being useful to all about him."

Capt. Clarke (1702) held many offices in the town of Boston, and served on many
special committees appointed for various purposes. He was a surveyor of highways in
1699 and 1704; assessor in 1706 and 1711 ; collector of rates in 1712 and 1713 ; moder-
ator of town meeting in 1707; overseer of the poor from 1715 to 1732 inclusive;
selectman in 1700-7, 1709, and 1710, and was representative to the General Court in
1700. His name first appears on the town records of Boston, March 13, 1692-3, when
he was elected constable of the town.

As early as 1697-8 he was identified with the town's defence. May 4, 1698, the
town voted that "any two of the Committee, namely, Col. Elisha Hutchinson [1670]
Capt Samson Stoddard, and Capt Timo Clark [1702] shall have power to draw of the
500" voted by the town for the fortifications." In 1704, with four members of the Artil-
lery Company, he was appointed a committee to review and advise about the repairs of
the fortifications of the town; in 1709, he was one of a committee to repair the plat-
forms and carriages at the South Battery; in 17 11, he, with four others, was chosen to
make a line of defence across the Neck, and plant " a convenient number of Great
guns in said hne of defence"; in 1718, he, with others, was empowered to repair the
North Battery, and to consider the advisability of erecting a battery at the end of Long
Wharf, and in 172 1, he, with others, was authorized to make thorough repairs of the
North and South batteries. The powder owned by the town was for a long time in his
care. April 28, 1701, it was ordered by the selectmen that Capt. Clarke (1702) be
allowed four pounds sixteen shillings, for thirty-two days' senice as representative.

King William HL died March 8, 1 701-2, and Anne, daughter of King James H.,
was proclaimed Queen. May 28, 1702, of that year, the news reached Boston, and the
council ordered a salute of twenty-one guns to be fired. The order of the council was
directed to Capt. Timothy Clarke (1702), and provided that twenty-one pieces of
ordnance should be discharged from the fort under his command. March 9, 1701-2,
according to the Boston town records, " Capt Timothy Clark is chosen Cannoneer."

May 28, 1 717, Gov. Shute issued the following order : —

"To Capt. Clarke. This being his Majesties Birth Day, you are hereby required to
discharge the Guns upon the Eatery's under your command, after you hear the Cannons
at the Castle are Discharged.

" (Signed) S.^mll Shute."

He resided on what is now Summer Street, Boston. In 1708, the selectmen
ordered that " the Street Leading Easterly from Doctor Okes his Corner in Newbery
[Washington] Street passing by the dwelling House of Capt Timo Clark, e.xtending to
ye Sea," should be known as Summer Street. He was one of the founders of Brattle
Street Church. He died June 13, 1737, aged eighty years.

He was lieutenant of the Artillery Company in 1 706.



«702-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 337

William Dummer (1702), of Boston, son of Capt. Jeremiah Dummer (1671), was
born in Boston in 1677, and married, April 26, 1714, Catharine, born Jan. 5, 1690, a
daughter of Gov. Joseph Dudley (1677). He was a constable of the town of Boston in
1 713. The next that we know of him, he was in Plymouth, England, holding an office
there as one of the commissioners for the Massachusetts colony, when, in 17 16, he was
appointed through the interest of Sir William Ashurst to be lieutenant-governor of the
Bay colony. He was probably appointed to this office at the time — June 15, 1716 —
that Samuel Shute was appointed Governor. Lieut.-Gov. Dummer (1702) held the
office until Gov. Shute departed from Boston, Jan. i, 1722-3, when the former became
acting Governor, and served until the arrival of Gov. William Burnet, July 13, 1728.
Gov. Burnet died in Boston, Sept. 7, 1729, when Lieut.-Gov. Dummer (1702) succeeded
to the office of Governor, and Sept. 10 was sworn in as commander-in-chief. He held
the office until April 14, 1730, when he was succeeded by Hon. William Tailler (17 12)
as lieutenant-governor. William Dummer (1702) is recorded in the Massachusetts Civil
List, 1630-1774, as councillor in 1717-20, 1722, and 1738-9.

In 1720, the court reduced the annual grant from fifty pounds to thirty-five pounds.
" Mr. Dummer had so much spirit, that he enclosed the vote in a letter to the speaker,
acquainting him that ' having the honor to bear the King's Commission for Lieutenant-
Governor of the Province, and having been annually more than ^50 out of pocket in
that service, he did not think it for his honor to accept of their grant."

After the departure of Gov. Shute, Lieut.-Gov. Dummer (1702), "having spent
some time in England, knowing what conduct would be approved there, and well
acquainted with the tempers of his countrymen, very prudently aimed rather at an easy
administration than at anything great and striking — acting in the most common affairs
by advice of council."

Mr. Eliot, in his Biographical Dictionary, says of him, " He was a friend to the
Dudley family and firmly supported the administration of Gov. Shute. Hence he was
not a favorite of the pooular party ; nor of those who promoted private banks, but was
highly respected by all parties when their prejudices did not operate. He maintained
a most respectable character for virtue and talents, especially during his administration
as the chief magistrate. Douglass always styles it ' the wise administration of Mr.
Dummer [1702].' He was a man of such correct judgments and steady habits, such a
firm and temperate conduct when he supposed himself right, that the vessel of state
was secure though exposed to the dangers of tempestuous sea."

In 1725, a»favorable treaty with the eastern Indians, — "his pacific measures and
accommodation or suspension of some of the controverted points," — and his favoring
a synod of the clergy, which, having been laid aside several years, had reduced their
influence, rendered him quite popular at home. This last project of a synod, which the
acting Governor favored, brought upon him the displeasure of episcopacy and royalty.
The gathering of the synod was arrested through church representations ; the Bishop of
London took a hand in the fray, and Lieut.-Gov. Dummer (1702) was reprimanded for
not sending to the home government the " account of such a remarkable transaction."

In June, 1738 and 1739, ^^ ^^"^^ invited, with other citizens of the town, to accom-
pany the selectmen in visiting the several public schools. He discharged that duty,
and his name then disappears from the Boston town records.

William Dummer (1702). Authorities: Boston Records; Eliot's Biog. Diet.; Obituary in
Boston newspapers, Oct. 26, 1761.



\



I



•</



y-



338 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1702-3

From this time (1739) until his decease, he resided in Newbury, Mass., having
retired to his ancestral home, " living for the most part in retirement, but always dis-
pensing a generous hospitality, and indulging his generous instincts by benefactions, of
which the foundation of the Byfield (Dummer) academy was the most important and
lasting." He died Oct. 10, 1761. He never sustained any office in the militia, but was
captain of the Artillery Company in 17 19, while lieutenant-governor. He bequeathed
two hundred pounds to Har\ard College, also the income of one hundred pounds
sterling to the two HoUis professors in Harvard College, to be equally divided between
them, and fifty pounds sterling to be laid out in books for the library.

Dummer Academy (Byfield parish), Newbury, is his best monument. He gave his
dwelling-house and farm in Newbury to three trustees, the rents and profits of which
were to be employed in erecting a school-house and in supporting a master. A building
was erected in 1762, and the school opened. For the first seventy years of this school,
its yearly average of students was twenty-one. Its roll of students, as they have been
regarded, useful and influential, in the varied walks of life, is one of which any institution
of learning might well be proud. Dummer Academy is still a flourishing institution.

'-.."His house in Boston was in Nassau Street, afterward owned by Mr. Powell." He
was a member of Hollis Street Church, and one of the contributors to build its meeting-
house. Dr. Byles, pastor of that church from its foundation, in 1732, until 1777, preached
the funeral sermon, which was printed. The following is from the appendix of the
sermon : — '

"Boston, Oct loth 1761. Departed this life, aged 83, the Hon. William Dummer,
Esqr [1702], and on the 16"" his funeral was attended with every mark of respect due"""
to so eminent a person. Scarce any one ever passed this life with a more unspotted
character or performed its various duties with more universal esteem. In the gayest
scenes of youth, he was preserved from the destructive paths of vice ; and in maturer
age, was a shining example of the most amiable virtues. The wise, the incorrupt and
successful administration of Mr. Dummer [1702] will always be remembered with honor,
and considered as a pattern worthy the imitation of all future Governors; — uninfluenced
by party prejudices — superior to all mercenary attachments, he discovered no passion
in his public character, but love to his country and fidelity to his royal master. He
retired to enjoy private life, with the approbation of a good conscience and the applause
of his country. In his domestic character, he appeared the affectionate husband, the
indulgent master, the benevolent friend. Inspired with a profound veneration of the
Supreme Being, — firmly attached to the religion of Jesus; he received its doctrines
with submission, attended its institutions with reverence, and practised its precepts with
uniformity. At his death, he left a great part of his estate to pious and charitable uses.
Having served his generation, by the will of God, he fell asleep in a joyful expectation
of a resurrection to eternal life."

' " Funeral sermon on the Honorable William The [irincipal events of Gov. Dummer's term

Dummer Esq., Late Lieutenant Governor and Com- were the establishment of a linen manufactory in

mander in chief over the Province of the Massachu- the town, and the introduction of inoculation for the :

setts Bay in New England, who died October 10. small-pox, during one of its periodical visits, by Dr. |

1 761 aged 84 years. Text Eccle xii. 7.8: Subject Boylston. | \

'The Vanity of every man at his best estate.'" It • Jeremiah Dummer, who wrote the able Defence j

was printed by Green & Russell, in Boston, in of New England Charters, was the Governor's 1

1761, pp. 27. brother. He died in London in 1739. — Sa Cen. 1

Mng , III., 490, 554. \



702-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



339



Seth Dwight (1702), of Boston, son of Capt. Timothy and Anna (Flint) Dwight,
of Dedham, and uncle of Gen. Joseph Dwight (1734), of Hatfield and Stockbridge,

Mass., was born July 9, 1673. His wife, Abigail , is supposed to have been

Abigail Davis, as in his will he gave an annuity to his sister-in-law, Dorothy Davis.
Mrs. Abigail (Davis) Dwight died May 24, 17 19.

Seth Dwight (1702) was a shopkeeper, and sold china-ware. He left a valuable
estate, which he divided among his four brothers, except the annuity above-mentioned.
Seth (1702) and Abigail Dwight had two sons, Timothy, who died previous to the
writing of the father's will, Oct. i, 1726, having been run over and killed by a cart, and
Joseph, who died May 8, 17 19, a fortnight before his mother's decease.

On May 12, 17 10, Capt. Timothy Dwight, of Dedham, divided his estate, and gave
property to his sons, "Seth [1702] of Boston, shopkeeper," "Henry of Hatfield,
clothier," the father of Col. Joseph Dwight (1734), and to Nathaniel, Josiah, and
Michael.

Seth Dwight (1702) was a tithing-man in Boston in 1704 and 1713 ; a constable in
1706; a clerk of the market in 17 10, and a minor officer in 171 2. He was fourth ser-
geant of the Artillery Company in 1708, and was appointed coroner for Suffolk County,
Dec. 19, 1728.

From the records of the selectmen, April 8, 17 18, we learn: " Whereas Mr. Seth
Dwight hath Signified to the s'' Selectmen That he is about to Erect a Brick building on
the Land in his possession, on the back Side of the House in which he dwells in Corn-
hill [now Washington Street], and next adjoining the Land of Mr. John Kilby [1691]
etc.," between whom there was a difference as to the line, " the Selectmen Nominated
and appointed Isaiah Tay, Thomas Cushing [1691] and Daniel Powning [1691] " to lay
out the line.

He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1708, and died Jan. 22, 173 1-2,
" leaving neither wife nor children behind him."

Calvin Galpine (1702), clothier, of Boston, was born in 1669. He married, in
Charlestown, Nov. 25, 1702, Katherine Knowles, by whom he had five children. "Mr.
Calvin Galpin, Jr.," as given in Mr. Budington's History of the First Church in Charles-
town, joined that church May 6, 17 16.

"At a meeting of the Sel. men, 18"' Dec. 17 18. Agreed, that the Granaryes be
opened for the sale of Indian Corn on Fryday & Saturday next, vizt : the South Granary
on Fryday, and the North Granary on Satterday, and on the next week following on
Tuesday at the South and on Fryday at the North, And m - Galpine [1702] is directed
to Sell out to the Inhabit'" of this Town not exceeding one bushel to each buyer, at five
shillings p. bushel, and he is directed to put up before hand one bushel in each of ye
Townes Baggs, and first receive each p'sons money and then Shift the Corn into their
respective baggs, the hours appointed to attend the Same is from nine to twelve in the
fore noon and from two to four in the after noon & he is to Imploy ye Cryer to cry at

Seth Dwight (1702). Authority: Boston Thomas Newman [1750], merchant, of Boston,

Records. bought this house, for eleven hundred pounds, of

Mr. Porter, in his Raml)les in Old Boston, N. E., Jonathan Dwight, innholder. Dwight bought it, in

page 149, gives a vivid picture of the Newman 1737, of the heirs of Seth Dwight [1702J, son of

House, of which he says : " It stands at the southern Timothy Dwight, of Dedham."

corner of Salem and Sheafe streets, and has long Calvin Galpine (1702). -Vuthority: Boston

been a landmark at the North End. In 1741, Records.



340



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1702-3



that price each buyer to bring good bill ready changed & to cry thro' the Town on
thursday."

On the 23d of December follo\ving, the selectmen "Ordered, That ye Town Clerk
do Endorss ye order to Mr Foy for 10 m Bread to be delivered to mr Calvin Galpine."

Dec. 28, 1719, they "Ordered, That the Granary be Opened on Wednes-dayes and
Fry-dayes, and that on those dayes mr Calvin Galpine [1702] be directed to sell to ye
Inhabitants of this Town, (Excepting to the Comon Bakers) at the following Prizes,
vizt; Indian at si-g*" Rey at 51.0, wheat at 71.0. And that he cause Notice thereof be
given by Crying."

Calvin Galpine (1702) died in Boston, Nov. 27, 1729.

John George (1702) was a merchant, of Boston. He was a constable of the town
of Boston in 1695 ; selectman in 1701 and 1713; a tithing-man in 1711, and a member
of the Old South Church. He was on several special committees of the town, of which
the most important was to advise some proper method to prevent damage by the sea's
wasting away the Neck. This committee was composed of prominent citizens. He was
one of the thirty-one persons selected to draw up a charter of incorporation for the
better government of the town in 1708, and was associated with Capt. Oliver Noyes
(1699), John Gerrish (1700), and others, in the erection of Long Wharf.

At a meeting of the inhabitants of Boston, March 9, 17 12-3, the following was
introduced : —

"Whereas mr John George [1702] hath proposed to ye consideration of the Town
whether the Alms House ought not to be restored to its Primitive & Pious design, even
for ye reliefe of the necessitous, that they might Lead a quiet Peacable & Godly life
there, whereas 't is now made a Bridewell & House of Correction, which Obstructs many
Honest Poor Peoples going there for the designed Reliefe & Support, If therefore the
Town would Lay out Some Other place, and refitt the Alms House for the Comfortable
reception of the distressed it will be a great Act of Charity." The subject was referred
to a committee of five persons, all of whom were members of the Artillery Company.

At a meeting of the selectmen, Oct. 16, 1716, voted, " Liberty is granted to ye
Executors of Mr John George decease to Erect a Tomb for yt family in ye burying place
nigh unto ye Alms House."

His widow, Lydia (Lee) George, married, July 5, 1715, Rev. Cotton Mather, pastor
of the Second Church, Boston.

Charles Hobby (1702), of Boston, son of William and Ann Hobby, of Boston, was
born about 1665, and was married, but left no children. Mr. Hutchinson says (II.,
153) Sir Charles Hobby (1702) "had been knighted, as some said, for fortitude and
resolution at the time of the earthquake in Jamaica," in 1692 ; "others, for the further
consideration of ;£8oo sterling. Col. Hobby [1702] was a gay man, a free liver and of
very different behaviour from what one would have expected should have recommended
him to the clergy of New England." He was sent over to London with letters from
some of the ministers of New England to Sir William Ashurst, urging that he might be

John George (1702). Authority': Boston a good Christian, desirable useful! man. All the

Records. ministers had scarvs." • — Sercn// Papirs.

"N0V24, 1714. Very cold day. Mr. George Charles Hobby (1702). Authorities: An-

[1702] laid in my Tomb till Madam George have nals ol King's Chapel, p. 175; Savage's Gen. Diet.;

an opportunity to build one. . . . Was a Well- Prov. Papers of N. H., Vol. III.; Boston Records;

accomplished merchant, and appears to have been Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company, Ed. 1842.



1702-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 34I

appointed Governor in the place of Gov. Dudley (1677). Sir Charles (1702) did not
succeed, but returned to America, and died in 17 15.

In 1 7 10, he and Col. William Tailler (17 12) commanded the two Massachusetts
regiments which formed a part of the expedition against Port Royal. The expedition
was a success; Port Royal was besieged and captured, and in 1711 Sir Charles (1702)
was appointed deputy-governor of Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia. He also accompanied
Col. Nicholson on his expedition to Canada. He soon returned to Boston, as he was
a warden of King's Chapel from 17 13 to 1715, or until his decease.

The author of the chapter on the "Royal Governors," in the Memorial History of
Boston, says, " He was well known as a man of fashion and a rake." His picture is
given in the second volume of that valuable work.

June 30, 1702, he was appointed a justice of the peace, and, in 1707 and 1708, he
was captain of the fifth company of Boston militia. He is recorded as present at
meetings of " Her Majesties Justices "in Boston, in February and March, 171 1-2, Jan.
26, 1712-3, and Aug. 14, 1713.

His estate was insolvent. His wife survived him, but died in November, 17 16.
At one time, he owned and occupied a large house on King Street, which was destroyed
in the great fire of 1711. His mansion-house was in Marlborough, now Washington,
Street. In his inventory, dated April 23, 1716, "deeds for half the Province of N. H."
is among the items, and is carried out as of no value. He purchased his New Hamp-
shire estates of Thomas Allen, Esq., in 1706. From a statement in the speech of
Lieut.-Gov. Vaughan, made at a session of the council and General Assembly of New
Hampshire, Feb. 6, 1 715-6, it appears that the administrator of Sir Charles Hobby's
(1702) estate offered the purchase of the territory above mentioned to the assembly.
Efforts were made for several years by his creditors, the most prominent of whom was
Elisha Cooke, of Boston, to obtain letters of administration on his New Hampshire
claim, but without success, it is believed.' His inventory also mentions six slaves,
valued at three hundred pounds.

He united with the Artillery Company in 1702, and the same year became its
captain ; he was re-elected to that office in 17 13.

Edward Hutchinson (1702), merchant, of Boston, son of EHsha (1670) and Eliza-
beth (Clarke) (Freak) Hutchinson, was born in Boston, June 18, 1678. He married,
Oct. 10, 1706, Lydia, the second daughter of Col. John Foster (1679). Her sister,
Sarah, married Edward's (1702) half-brother, Thomas (1694). His mother was a
daughter of Major Thomas Clarke (1644), of Boston.

Edward Hutchinson (1702) for a half century was one of the most active, and for
nearly forty years one of the most prominent and influential, men in the town. He
was a constable in 1708, and a member of the board of selectmen from 171 1 to 1715
inclusive, and a representative to the General Court from 1714 to 17 16 inclusive, and
in 1 7 18. When paper money was issued by the provincial government in 17 14, he was
one of the five trustees. Dec. 9, 1715, he was appointed justice of the peace; June 18,
1728, justice of the peace and of the quorum, and March 20, 1722-3, he was appointed
a justice of the inferior Court of Common Pleas for Suffolk County, and held that ofifice

Edward Hutchinson (1702). Authorities: Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1847, 1865, 1874; Province
Boston Records; Savage's Gen. Diet.; Whitman's Laws, Vol. VH.
Hist. A. and PL A. Company, Ed. 1S42; New Eng. ' New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., April, 1S70.



342 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1702-3

until Dec. 29, 1731. He was reappointed to the same judgeship Oct. 27, 1740, filHng a
vacancy caused by the death of Thomas Palmer (1702), and served in that office until
his decease. He was also judge of probate for Suffolk County in 1745, ^"d for thirty
years was treasurer of Harvard College. He was elected moderator of the town meeting
in 1716, 1733, 1737, 1743-4, and 1746-7. He served on the most important special
committees, for many years auditing the town treasurer's accounts ; serving on such
committees as "building a bridge to Noddles Island," "erecting three markets" (1733),
"best place for new fortifications " (1733), "rights of the inhabitants to Long Wharf "
(1736), "building workhouse" (1737), — which he turned over, completed, to the
town in 1739, — "retrenchment of town expenses" (1739), "by-laws for government
of workhouse" (1739), which are given in full in the record commissioner's report,
and served on the committee selected to return thanks to Peter Faneuil for his gift to
the town in 1742. In 1718, he acted with Capt. Timothy Clarke (1702) and three others



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 50 of 73)