Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 52 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 52 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He received the degree of doctor of divinity from Glasgow University in 1731. He
was a warm friend of Harvard College, and, upon the death of Hon. John Leverett f 1 704 ) ,
he was invited to the presidency, but his society opposed his acceptance, and he was
too much attached to them to leave them without their consent.

To an edition of Dr. Benjamin Colman's sermons, printed in London in 1728, is
prefixed his portrait, made in 1703, when he was thirty years of age.

He also delivered the sermon before the Artillery Company in 1738, Rev. John
Cotton, of Newton, and Rev. Ebenezer Turell, of Mystic, having declined the invitation
of the Company.



The officers elected were : John Ballentine (1682), captain; Thomas

I 70'^"4» ^^^"^S^ ('693)) lieutenant; Thomas Fitch (1700), ensign. Edward

I U I Martyn (1702) was first sergeant; Jonathan Pollard ( 1700), second

sergeant; William Clarke (1699), third sergeant; Nathaniel Oliver, Jr. (1701), fourth

sergeant, and Edward Oakes (1700), clerk.

In the year 1703, Boston was menaced by two dangers. One was the small-pox,
which caused the death of three hundred persons in the town ; the other was the war
between the French and English. The Indians were an important factor in the period-
ical conflicts between those powers. To conciliate the Indians, and enlist their sympathy
with the English, a committee, with Gov. Dudley (1677) at its head, proceeded eastward,
to meet the Indians and formulate and ratify a treaty. Among the gentlemen who
accompanied the Governor were : Col. Elisha Hutchinson (1670), Col. Penn Townsend
(1674), Col. Thomas Savage (1693), and Capt. Timothy Clarke (1702).

The members recruited in 1703 were: John Baker, Thomas Baker, Henry Bridg-
ham, Joseph Briscoe, Joseph Callender, William Clarke, William Frary, William Hutchin-
son, William Ivory, Thomas Leverett, Henry Lloyd, Thomas Newton, Isaac Queenoicault,
Ambrose Vincent.

John Baker (1703), brazier, of Boston, was born Feb. 14, 1681. He was a tithing-
man in 1703 and 1712 ; constable in 1704; clerk of the market in 171 1, and selectman
from 171S to 1718 (declining in 1719), and from 1726 to 1728 inclusive. He was also
moderator of the town meeting, Dec. 27, 1727, and, March 29, 1728, was elected a trustee
of the town's funds.

When Hon. Thomas Fitch (1700) presented the town with two hundred and fifty
firelocks, with bayonets fitted to them, March 10, 1728-9, a committee, consisting of

John Baker (1703). Authoritv: Boston Records.



350



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [i7°3-4



Hon. Elisha Cooke (1699), Adam Winthrop, Esq. (1694), and Mr. John Baker (1703),
was appointed to wait on Hon. and Col. Thomas Fitch (1700), with their thanks and a
copy of the votes passed by the town.

Thomas Baker (1703), of Boston, was born March 22, 1683.' He was clerk of
the market in 1709 and 1719. July 10, 1722, he was-approved and recommended by
the selectmen to keep a retail shop on Linn Street. In July, 1733, he petitioned for a
license as a " taverner," but was refused by the selectmen.

Mr. Whitman (1810) designates him as " Capt."

Henry Bridgham (1703), tanner, of Boston, son of Lieut. Jonathan (1673) and
Elizabeth Bridgham, grandson of Capt. Henry Bridgham (1644), and cousin of Henry
Bridgham (1699), was born in Boston, Nov. 2, 1677. In the Boston Records, March 10,
1711-2, he is called "Tanner"; March 12, 1715-6, " late Curier," and Julys, i7'5)
the selectmen disallowed his petition to sell strong drink as an innholder. The following
August he was licensed to sell coffee, beer, ale, and cider, at a tenement near the town-house
(next to Mr. Gerrish's building), which he hired of Capt. Nathaniel Oliver (1701).
Aug. 10, 1 7 14, Mr. Henry Bridgham (1703), currier, was appointed to enforce the town
by-laws in regard to the keeping of ladders, swabs, and tubs of water for the speedy
extinguishing of fires, and was allowed four pounds five shillings per month for that
service.

He was a constable of Boston in 17 12,. and, July 2, 1717, the selectmen approved
his petition as an innholder, at his house in King Street. July 8, 17 18, he was licensed
to keep an ale-house on Newbury, now Washington, Street, and July 28 the license was
enlarged so he could "sell strong drink as an Innholder." In 1719, he was licensed as
an innholder on Milk Street.

It is probable that the following sentence from the selectmen's minutes of May 3,
1734, does not refer to Henry Bridgham (1703) : "Mr. Moulin informing [the select-
men] that the Watch men at the Powder House in the Common are very deficient in
their Duty, and particularly the last Night, He found only Bridgham there — And he
also asleep."

Henry Bridgham (1703) was surveyor of highways in 1709; assessor in 1712 and
1713, and sealer of leather in 1716 and 1723-5 inclusive.

Joseph Briscoe (1703), baker, of Boston, son of Joseph (1692) and Rebecca
Briscoe, was born in Boston, Jan. 8, 1682. Both the father and son are called " bakers "
in the Boston Records. On the arrival in Boston of four hundred bushels of wheat,
Dec. 10, 1 7 13, the selectmen ordered fifty bushels to be delivered to Joseph Briscoe, Sr.,
and twenty to Joseph Briscoe, Jr., " to bake the same into bread." The father was a
constable in 1694, and one of them was a measurer of grain from 1706 to 17 10. July 7,
1727, Joseph Briscoe, Jr. (1703), in Marlborough, now Washington, Street, petitioned the
selectmen for permission to sell strong drink. He was a tithing-man in 171 1 and 171S,
and was a member of the Boston militia.

Thomas Baker (1703). Authority : Boston 'It is impossible to distinguish the Bakers.

Records. There were several at this time in Boston whose

Joseph Briscoe (1703). Authority: Bos- given name was Thomas. Whether the John
ton Records. Bakers and Thomas Bakers arc related does not

appear.



• 703-4] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



351



Joseph Callender (1703) was a constable of Boston in 1710. June 30, 1712, the
selectmen ordered certain " Free Negroes &c " to work on the highway, and among
them was " Cubit a free Indian at Jos. Callenders [1703]."

Oct. 6, 1712, the selectmen "agreed with Mr. Joseph Callender [1703] and let to
him the Little Old House on Fort Hill, where John Wilkie lately dwelt, to be improved
as a Granary, and a piece of land on said Hill, of about sixty feet square, for setting a
windmill, for the term of seven years at forty shillings per annum."

William Clarke (1703), merchant, of Boston, son of William (1699) and Rebecca
Clarke, was born in Boston, March 31, 1681. He was tithing-man from 1713 to 1715
inclusive; selectman from 1719 to 1723, and representative from 1719 to 1722, 1724,
and 1725. In 1718-9, March 10, Mr. William Clarke (1703) was one of a committee
" to consider and debate what can be done to relieve the town from its present dis-
tresses."

Nov. 3, 1 7 13, the charges and assessment for a sewer locate Mr. Clarke (1703) in
Wood's Lane, later Proctor's Lane, between Middle and Fish streets, now that part of
Richmond Street between Hanover and North streets. In 1711, there were living upon
that lane, John Bucanan (1695) and Joseph Prout, son of Joseph (1674) ; and William
Clarke (X703) moved there before 1713. He became a member of the Old South
Church, May 14, 1704. July 2, 1711, Francis Clarke (1701) and William Clarke (1703)
were named by the Governor to "search for provisions" to supply men under Gen.
Hill and Admiral Walker, temporarily encamped on Noddles Island, who were on their
way to reduce Canada to British authority.

There were several William Clarks, or Clarkes, in Boston at this time, and even
Mr. Savage calls them "confusion." One Dr. Clarke lived on Wing's Lane; a second
William Clarke on Common Street, and a third, as above, on Proctor's Lane.

William Frary (1703).

William Hutchinson (1703), of Boston, son of Eliakim and Sarah (Shrimpton)
Hutchinson, and brother-in-law of Thomas Palmer (1702), was born in 1683. He
married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Brinley (1681).

William (1703) graduated at Harvard College in 1702. Mr. Hutchinson, the
historian, to whom he was nearly related, says of him, " He was a gentleman of a very
fair character, sensible, virtuous, discreet, and of an independent fortune. He began
his political life at a time when persons thus qualified were wanted for the service of
their country, to moderate the passions of those who were less temperate and who had
the lead in the House. In general, he adhered to the popular party. Longer experience
might have convinced him that he would have shown his gratitude to his constituents
more by endeavoring to convince them that they were running to an extreme, than by
encouraging the same extremities himself."

He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1 706. He died of small-pox

Joseph Callender (1703). Authority: Bos- "[1721] Nov. 30. . . . William Hutchinson

ton Records. esqr, dying at Cambridge, of the Small Pox, is

William Clarke (1703). Authority: Bos- brought to Town in Stedman's Calash. Deer 2.

ton Records. Buried, had a great Funeral." — Sewall Papers,

William Hutchinson (1703). Authorities: Fo/. ///.,/. 296.
Boston Records; King's Chapel Burial-Ground, by
Bridgman, p. 221.



352



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ['703-4



in 1721, while a representative in the General Court. His will, dated Nov. 20, 1721,
was proved Dec. 23, 1721.

The father, Eliakim, in his will of Feb. 3, 17 16, names only his son William (1703),
and his grandchildren, who were a son of Thomas Palmer (1702) and children of
Elizabeth Phips.

William Ivory (1703), carpenter, of Lynn and Boston, son of Thomas and Mary
(Davis) Ivory, was born in Lynn, June 10, 1674. His name does not appear on the
Records of the Town of Boston. He married, Jan. 6, 1701, Sarah Thornton.

Thomas Leverett (1703), of Boston, son of Hudson Leverett (165S), and grandson
of Major-Gen. John Leverett (1639), Governor, was baptized June 7, 1674. Thomas
Leverett (1703) was a brother of Hon. Lieut. John Leverett (1704), the eighth president
of Harvard College. Nothing has been discovered bearing upon his fame and fortunes,
except a probate court record. He married, Dec. 11, 1701, Rebecca Winsor. By
occupation, he was a barber. He died in 1706, "a htde beyond thirty years of age."
Administration on his estate was granted June 21, 1706.

Henry Lloyd (1703), merchant, of Boston, son of James and Griselda (Sylvester)
Lloyd, was born in Boston, Nov. 28, 1685, and died March 18, 1763.

James came from Bristol, arrived at Newport about 1670, and settled in Boston
in 1673. By marriage he received an estate at Long Island from his father-in-law,
Nathaniel Sylvester, of Shelter Island. His first wife, Griselda, having died, he married
for his second wife, Nov. 3, 1691, Rebecca, daughter of Major-Gen. John Leverett
(1639), Governor.

Henry Lloyd (1703) married (i) Rebecca Nelson, — who was born Nov. 15, 1688,

and died July 27, 1728, — a daughter of Capt. John Nelson (1680) ; and (2) Mary ,

who died Nov. 10, 1749. The eldest son of Henry Lloyd (1703) was Dr. James Lloyd,
of Boston, who died in 18 10, aged eighty- two years, whose son, James, a graduate of
Harvard College in 1787, an eminent merchant, was a United States senator from
Massachusetts, and died in 1831.

Henry Lloyd (1703) was bred a merchant in Boston, but in 171 1, by inheritance
and purchase, located himself at Lloyd's Neck, and resided there until his decease. He
left his property at the Neck to his four sons.i

Thomas Newton (1703).

Isaac Queenoioault (1703).

Ambrose Vincent (1703) married, Jan. 6, 1703, Sarah Barber. He held office in
Boston in 1706, and in 1709 was clerk of the market. Jan. 17, 1709, the selectmen
accepted him as security for Jane Buck, a new inhabitant, and July 8, 1712, he was
security for Daniel Stevens.

William Ivory (1703). Authority : Savage's Ambrose Vincent (1703). AunioRrrv: Bos-
Gen. Diet. ton Records.

Thomas Leverett (1703). Authokity: New ' See Genealogy of Lloyds, of Lloyd's Neck,

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1S79. and King's Chapel Burial-Ground, by Bridgman.



•704-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



353



Aug. 25, I 7 12, he subscribed six pounds to assist in enlarging the Church of Eng-
land in Boston, and in 17 13-4 was a communicant of that church. He also contributed
two pounds for repairing King's Chapel in 1718. He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1709. In 1715, he resided on Wing's Lane, now Elm Street, Boston.

Under date of March 30, 1725, Mr. Drake says, in the History of Boston, p. 572 :
" Early this spring died Mr. Ambrose Vincent [1703], a gentleman of note and much
respected. He was for many years ' A Waiter of the Customs ' and at his decease was
' Marshal of Admiralty.' "

He died at the age of forty-seven years, leaving a wife, Sarah, who died very
suddenly, March 14, 1728 : "As she was walking home from making a visit, she dropped
dead in the street."

The record of the Artillery Company for 1703 is as follows : —

"April 5111 1703. The Rev'd Mr. Grindall Rawson was chosen to preach the next
Election sermon and the Commission ofificers were desired to request him to preach.
Accepted by him.

"Voted, that Colo. Hutchinson [1670], Colo. Hobby [1702], Capt Samuel Sewall
[1679], Colo. Townsend Esqr [1674], and Mr. Samuel Keeling [1699], merchant,
should be a committee to lease out the land for a term of years, which was given by the
General Court to the Artillery Company, and that what the major part of the Committee
doth in that affair shall be as effectual as if there were a full Concurrence."

Rev. Grmdall Rawson, the preacher of the Artillery election sermon for 1703, son
of Edward Rawson, for many years registrar of deeds and secretary of the colony, was
born in Boston, Jan. 23, 1659-60. He was named Grindall for Edmund Grindall, Arch-
bishop of Canterbury, "between whom and his father," according to Mr. Drake's History
of Boston, p. 553, " there was a relationship."

Rev. Grindall Rawson graduated at Harvard College in 1678, and in 1683 married
Susanna, daughter of Rev. John Wilson, of Medfield, who was a nephew of Capt. Robert
Keayne (1637), the founder of the Artillery Company. Mr. Rawson was ordained about
the year 1680, and became the second settled minister in Mendon. He died Eeb. 6,
1715. He was very perfectly versed in the Indian language, and labored with the
Indians for nearly thirty years. Rev. Cotton Mather preached a sermon on the death of
Mr. Rawson, which he dedicated to Judge Sewall (1679).



1 704-5-



The officers elected were: Thomas Hutchinson (1694), captain;
Adam Winthrop (1694), lieutenant; John Noyes (1698), ensign. Francis
Clarke (1701) was first sergeant; John Wharton (1699), second ser-
geant; Henry Bridgham (1699), third sergeant; John Edwards (1699), fourth sergeant,
and Edward Oakes (1700), clerk.

The year 1 704 was a notable era in Boston. The fortifications of the town were
examined and repaired under the direction of a committee, consisting of Elisha Cooke,
Esq., Col. Elisha Hutchinson (1670), Col. Penn Townsend (1674), Col. Thomas Savage
(1693), and Capt. Timothy Clarke (1702).



\



354 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1704-S

The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in New England was organized in
England, and the following gentlemen were authorized by the corporation to carry out its
provisions in New England, viz. : Wait Winthrop (1692), Rev. Increase Mather, Gabriel
Bernon, Nehemiah Walter, Samuel Sewall (1679), Peter Sergeant, John Foster (1679),
Thomas Bannister, Col. John Higginson, Edward Bromtield (1679), Eliakim Hutchin-
son, Penn Townsend (1674), Jeremiah Dummer (1671), and Simeon Stoddard (1675).

The members recruited in 1704 were : John Leverett, Jonathan Loring, John Sale,
and Thomas Salter.

John Leverett (1704), of Cambridge, son of Hudson Leverett (1658), grandson of
Gov. John Leverett (1639), and brother of Thomas Leverett (1703), was born in Boston,
Aug. 25, 1662. He graduated at Harvard College in 1680, after which, for several
years, he remained at the college, and was a tutor during part of the presidency of Dr.
Increase Mather. "Dr. Mather was absent in England nearly four years, from 1688 to
1 69 1, and Mr. Leverett [1704] and William Brattle," son of Capt. Thomas Brattle
(1675), " had the instruction of the students." During these years the college flourished.
The two teachers aboved named " were among the most learned men of their age, and
were members of the Royal Society in London."

Mr. Leverett (1704) first studied theology in connection with his tutorship, and
preached occasionally for several years ; but he finally studied law, and practised in the
courts. He represented Cambridge in the General Court, and was speaker in 1700.
He was appointed judge of the Superior Court, July 8, 1 702, and held that office until
his election as president of Harvard College ; was judge of probate from Oct. 23, 1702,
to July 8, 1708, when he was succeeded by Francis Foxcroft (1679), ^"d a member of the
council in 1705. On the death of Rev. Samuel Willard in 1707, he was elected presi-
dent of Harvard College (being lieutenant of the Artillery Company the same year),
and continued to act in that office until his decease. He died peacefully. May 3, 1724.
His eulogists represent him as a man of vast learning and of genuine piety. Dr.
Appleton, in a funeral discourse a few days after the death of President Leverett (1704),
said, " He was a pillar both of the Church and State, an honor and ornament to society,
and the glory of New England."

" His qualifications " for the presidency " were not only eminent in degree but
singularly various. He had a great and generous soul. His natural abilities were of
a very high order. His attainments were profound and extensive. He was well
acquainted with the learned languages, with the arts and sciences, with history,
philosophy, law, divinity, politics ; and such was his reputation for knowledge of men
and things, that, in almost every doubtful and difficult case, he was resorted to for
information and advice.

" To his wisdom and knowledge he added great firmness, resolution, and energy of
character. His great abilities being consecrated to the service of God and of his
generation, he was never deterred by difficulties or dangers from any undertaking which

John Leverett (1704). Authoiuties: New "Septr6. 1703, Artil. Training. I Train'd in

Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1847, 1850; Histories of the Forenoon, .'\s I was going, Mr. Oakcs met me

Harv. Coll.; Eliot's Biog. Diet. and ask'd if I had not heard the News? He said

"Tuesday Oct. 28. 1707. The Fellows of Har- French King; he had his Neck broken by a fall

vard College met and chuse Mr. Leverett Piesident: from his Horse as he was viewing an Army Rais'd

He had eight votes, Dr. Increase Mather three, Mr to goe against those of the Cevenes." — Sezvalt

Cotton Mather one and Mr Brattle of Cambridge Papers, Vol. J/., p. 88.
one. Mr White did not vote and Mr Gibbs came
when voting was over." — Sewall Papers, Vol. If.,
p. 196.



'704-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



355



Providence seemed to impose upon him. He was liberal and catholic in his sentiments
and feelings ; and though, among the various institutions of the Commonwealth, he had
the preservation of its religious establishments greatly at heart, he did not place religion
so much in particular forms and modes of worship, or discipline, as in those substantial
and weighty matters of the gospel, righteousness, faith, and charity."

He married (i) Mrs. Margaret (Rogers) Berry, — whose mother was Elizabeth, only
daughter of Major-Gen. Denison (1660) and granddaughter of Gov. Thomas Dudley, —
and (2) Mrs. Sarah Harris, daughter of Richard Crisp. After the decease of Mr. Leverett
(1704), his widow married Hon. John Clarke in 1725, and subsequently, in 1731, she
married Rev. Benjamin Colman, who delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1702.
Mr. Leverett (1704) had several children, but all of his sons died in infancy.

" For forty years," says Dr. Colman, " he has shown in this place and in the eyes
of this Society, in near a meridian lustre. The young saw him and hid themselves, and
the aged arose and stood up. Then men gave ear to him and waited and kept silence
at his counsel."

Mr. Flint's funeral oration ascribes to him Aristotle's words to Plato.' His literary
merits procured him honors from abroad, particularly membership in the Royal Society
of London.

He was lieutenant of the Artillery Company in 1707.

Jonathan Loring (1704), of Boston, son of Josiah and Elizabeth (Prince) Loring,
of Hingham, was born at Hingham, April 24, 1674, but settled in Boston, where he died
Oct. 15, 1752.

He was elected clerk of the market in 1704; constable in 1707; assessor from
1714 to 1728, except in 1719, and selectman for three years, 1729-31. He married,
about 1700, Elizabeth Austin, born May 6, 1673, daughter of Richard Austin, of Charles-
town. In 1732, he lived on Salem Street. He was third sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1710, and became a member of the Old South Church, Nov. 22, 1730,
when he withdrew from the First Church.

John Sale (1704), innholder, of Boston, son of Obadiah and Sarah Sale, of Boston,
was born in Boston, July 23, 1680. He married Rebecca, daughter of Col. Penn Town-
send (1674). He first kept an inn at the lower end of King Street in 1723; but in
1725 he asked for a license to continue as an innholder on Newbury (Washington)
Street. July 5, 1728, he was licensed as an innholder in Corn Market, and March 3,
1735-6, he again opened a tavern at the lower end of King Street. He was a scav-
enger in 1725, and occupied a cellar under the town-house from May 22 to Oct. 7,
1 7 14, at a rental of j£^ ^s. He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 17 14,
and its ensign in 1719. He was surety on the bond of the tax collector of Rumney
Marsh, in 1734, to the anftunt of four hundred and sixty pounds.

Thomas Salter (1704), shopkeeper, of Boston, married. May 4, 1693, Mary Hab-
berfeeld, and May 11, 1707, both of them joined the Old South Church. He served the

Jonathan Loring (1704). Authorities: Run the Ijounds; ... came away to Lt Tho. Salters

Boston Records; Hist, of Old South Church. l-'uneral." — Sr<i'all Papers, Vol. ///., /. 22.

John Sale (1704). Authority: Boston There were two persons having this name in

Records. Boston at this time. It is difficult to distinguish

Thomas Salter (1704). Authority: Boston between them.
Records. ' ''Hie jacet homo, queiii non licet, iton tlccel,

" [1714] Oct. 19. Went to the Salt works and im/>iis vcl ignorantibus laudare."



356 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [«705-6

town as constable in 1705, and as surveyor of highways in 1707. In 1711, he was
first sergeant of the Artillery Company. In 1712, he was a member of the Boston
militia, and was appointed a tithing-man. The inventory of his property, returned to
the court in 17 14, was ;^i2,i87 9^-. 10//.

In the Boston News-Letter of June 12 to 19, 1704, is the following statement:
" Capt. Thomas Hutchinson, Captain ; Capt Adam Winthrop, Lieutenant ; and Mr.-
John Noyes, Ensign ; officers of the Honourable Artillery Company, have caused the
printing of the Election Sermon."

The record of the Artillery Company for 1704 is as follows: "April 3'' 1704. The
Rev'd Mr. Henry Gibbs ^ was chosen to preach the next Election sermon, and the Com-
mission officers, with Samuel Sewall [1679], Esqr and Capt. Samuel Checkley [1678]
were desired to request him to preach. Accepted by him."

Rev. Henry Gibbs, of Watertown, delivered the Artillery election sermon of 1704.
He was a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Sheaffe) Gibbs, of Boston, and was born Oct.
8, 1668. He graduated at Harvard College in 16815, and after graduation continued
his studies at the college. He married, June 9, 1692, Mercy, daughter of William
Greenough (1675). Her mother, wife of William, was Elizabeth, daughter of Nicholas
Upshall (1637). Henry Gibbs was ordained Oct. 6, 1697, and settled in Watertown,
where he died Oct. 21, 1723.



^ The officers elected were : Thomas Savage (1693), captain ; Thomas

J 70 C-Q_ Fitch (1700), lieutenant; John Kilby (1691), ensign. Thomas Smith

' ^ (1702) was first sergeant; Adino Bulfinch (1702), second sergeant;

Nicholas Buttolph (1694), third sergeant; John Cotta, Jr. (1698), fourth sergeant, and

Edward Oakes (1700), clerk.

The year 1705 was laden with doubts and fears for the people of Boston, on account
of the war then in progress, and the Artillery Company, as well as business and public
interests, felt the depressing effect. There were no members of the .\rtillery Company



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 52 of 73)