Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 56 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 56 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Col. Thomas Tileston (1724), of Dorchester. James (1711) was fourth sergeant of
the Artillery Company in 17 13, its ensign in 1723, and one of the founders of the new
Brick Church, Boston. He was a constable in 17 12, viewer of shingles, boards, etc., in
1716, 1717, 1719, 1720, T724, and 1725, and fence-viewer in 171S, 1721, and 1728. In
1714, he resided on Bennet Street. Tileston Street perpetuates the name of this family.

He died prior to February, 1740.

James Varney (171 1) was a bricklayer in Boston. He came to Boston about
1700, and married, Nov 6, 1701, Mercy Hiskett, who died May 22, 1702. His name
appears again in the records in 1706, and he had, by wife Jane, James Varney, born
Aug. 8, 1706.

James (17 11) was a constable of Boston in 1717. In 1708, he received official
notice to "make his Brick wall in higth conformable to his Lycence." Jan. 21, 1725,
he received permission of the selectmen to erect a dwelling-house on Copp's Hill, front-
ing Sheafe Street.

Mr. James Varney (171 1) died "Jan. 24, 1752, aged 74," and his widow, Jean,
died "April 8, 1752, aged 80." Both were interred in Copp's Hill Burial-Ground.

Ezekiel Walker (1711), currier, of Boston, son of Samuel, of Woburn, was born
March 5, 1679. He married (i) Sarah Wyman, and, (2) Aug. 7, 1701, Ruth Cook. He
was constable of Boston in 1712, and sealer of leather from 17 14 to 1722 inclusive, except
in 1719. He became a member of the Old South Church, May 11, 1707. Sept. 24, 17 16,
the selectmen "Voted, That Mr Ezekiel Walker [171 1] be desired and he is here by
Impowered to Prosecut Such persons as shall transgress any of the Laws of this Province
against Intemperance, Immorality & Prophaness, and for Reformation of Manners." The
next month, Oct. 23, he applied to the selectmen for a retailer's license, but his petition
was dismissed "as out of season." His application of July 5, 17 17, for a license was
refused, but subsequently was allowed to sell beer and cider in Queen (now Court) Street ;
and in March following, the selectmen " Voted. A period to Mesu'rs John Marion [1691]
& Ezekiel Walkers [17 11] Service in Prosecuting the Breach of Laws & Town orders,
untill further Order." They were allowed, beginning May 29, " to prosecute the breach
of the laws," for one "moneth." Ezekiel (17 11) continued his cider and beer business.
He died before June, 1724, when the license was granted Ruth Walker, his widow.

Nathaniel Wheeler (171 1), by wife, Mary, had five children born in Boston between
1699 and 1712. He was clerk of the market in Boston in 1715.

Jonathan Williams (1711), merchant, of Boston, son of Robert, was born Sept. 22,
1673, and died in Boston, March 27, 1737. His parents were members of the First
Church, and of that Jonathan (1711) and Jonathan, Jr. (1729), were deacons. Jonathan
Williams (1711) began life as a wine cooper, and carried on that business in Boston for

James Tileston (1711). Authorities; Hos- Ezekiel Walker (1711). Authorities: Bos-
ton Records; Dorchester Records; New Eng. Hist. ton and Woliurn Records,
and Cen. Reg, 1S59. Jonathan Williams (1711). Authority;

James Varney (1711). Authorities; Bos- Boston Records,
ton Records; Copp's I till Burial-Ground, by Bridg-
man.



'7"-2] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 379

some years. His first wife was Mary Hunlock, a granddaughter of Samuel Sendall, by
whom he had two sons, Jonathan (1729) and Sendall (1738), and a daughter, Mary.
Mary (Hunlock) Williams died in September, 1707, and Jonathan Williams (171 1)
married, June 24, 1708, Mrs. Rebecca Tovvnsend. She was the widow of James Town-
send, of Boston, wine merchant. Jonathan Williams (171 1) succeeded to the business
of Mr. Townsend, and sold wines, etc , at the famous wine store, under the sign of the
" Blackboy and Butt," in Cornhill (Washington Street), Boston. By his second wife,
Deacon Williams (1711) had several children, one of whom, Rebecca, married Thaddeus
Mason, and they were the grandparents of the distinguished Rev. Thaddeus Mason
Harris, of Dorchester.

He was clerk of the Artillery Company from 17 11 to 1713 inclusive, and second
sergeant in 17 14.

The record of the Artillery Company for 1 7 1 1 is as follows : —

"April 2. 17 1 1. The Rev. Mr. Nehemiah Walter was chosen to preach the Artillery

Sermon and the then Commission Officers, with Colo Samuel Checkley [1678], were

desired to request it of him.

"May 7"'. It was accepted by him."

Rev. Nehemiah Walter, of Roxbury,' who delivered the Artillery sermon in 17 11,
preached before the Artillery Company in 1697. See page 313.

Following the charter of 1638, and the orders "made and agreed upon" Sept. 2,
1 700, at the beginning of the book of records of the Artillery Company, is given the
following list, which was probably made out in 171 1 : —

"The List of those Artillery Soldiers, that are under the fine of 12.'/ for non-appear-
ance, who subscribe to the above articles.

"Elisha Hutchinson [1670], John Walley [1671], Penn Townsend [1674], Nathaniel
Byfield [1679], Bozoun Allen [1676], James Hill [1677], Nathaniel Williams [1677],
Samuel Checkley [1678], John Ballentine [1682], Thomas Hunt [1685], Samuel Johnson
[167s], John Barnard [1677], John Cotta [1679], Daniel Powning [1691], John Noyes
[1698], J. Ballentine Jun [1694], Thomas Savage Jun [1693], Oliver Noyes [1699],
William Sutton [1695], Thomas Savage [1665], Henry Bridgham [1699], John Kilby
[1691], Penn Townsend, Jun. [1700], Peter Weare [1700], Silence Allen [1700], John
Buchanan [1695], William Briggs, John Mountfort [1697], Thomas Gushing [1691],
Joseph Belknap [1692], Benjamin Emmons [1698], Henry Deering [1682], Elisha
Cooke Jun. [1699], Thomas Barnard [1681], Adam Winthrop [169 1], Thomas Phillips
[1694], Nicholas Buttolph [1694], C. Myngs [1701], Timothy Wadsworth [1691],
Joseph Russell [1699], Robert Cumby [1691], Nathaniel Oliver [1701], Charles Hobby
[1702], Timothy Clarke [1702], Thomas Palmer [1702], Thomas Newton [1702],
E. Lyde [1702], Calvin Galpine [1702], John Nichols [1702], John George [1702],
Edward Martyn [1702], Thomas Smith [1702], Adino Bulfinch [1702], Zechariah Tuthil
[1699], Thomas Leverett [1703], Thomas Baker [1703], William Frary [1703], William
Hutchinson [1703], Joseph Hubbard [1707], Benjamin Eliot [1707], Ezekiel Lewis
[1707], James Davis [170S], William Lowder [170S], Ames .'\ngier [1708], Francis

'"['7"] Second day, April 2 Mr Walter is chosen to Preach the Artillery Sermon." — Seiuall
Papers, Vol. II., p. 305.



38o HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ['712-3

Wainvvright [1709], Joseph Hiller, Jun. [i 709], Thomas Salter [1704], John Sale [1704],
John Eustace [17 n], Nathaniel Wheeler [1711], Samuel Haugh [17 11], Benjamin
Bridge [1711], Habijah Savage [1699], Ephraim Fenno [1711], John Gibbon [1711],
Nathaniel Goodwin [17 11], Jonathan Williams [1711], Thomas Philhps [1711], Ebenezer
Lowle [1711], Samuel Green [1711], Ezekiel Walker [1711], Barrat Dyer [1711],
William Parkman [1711], Richard Hunnewell [1711], James Tilestone [1711]."



The officers elected were : William Tailer (17 12), captain ; Edward

T 'T T 0''7 Martyn (1702), lieutenant; John Gerrish (1700), ensign. John Green-

' «J ough (17 1 2) was first sergeant; John Eustace (1711), second sergeant;

Robert Calfe (1710), third sergeant; Samuel Gerrish (1709), fourth sergeant, and

Jonathan WilHams (1711), clerk.

The Blue Hills having been sold by the town, it was voted to choose a committee
to invest the proceeds, one thousand five hundred pounds. Addington Davenport
(1692), Isaiah Tay, Daniel Oliver, Thomas Gushing (169 1), Oliver Noyes (1699), Joseph
Wadsworth, and Edward Hutchinson (1702), with the selectmen, four of whom were
members of the Artillery Company, were chosen for that purpose ; and to the same
committee, March 9, 17 12-3, the town referred the consideration of "what is proper for
the town to do about a lighthouse."

The members recruited in 1 7 1 2 were : Samuel Durham, Joseph Essex, Daniel Goffe,
John Greenough, Daniel Henchman, Samuel Oakes, William Tailer.

Samuel Durham (1712), by trade a mason, appears first in Boston Records, July 6,
1 69 1, where it is recorded, "Samuel Durham and Eliza Reed were married by Sam'I
Sewall [1679] Esq. Assist." They had a son, Samuel, born March i, 1692, but his name
does not again appear on the records of Boston. Samuel (1712), July 12, 1706, was
requested to survey the defective chimneys in the house of Mr. Obadiah Proctor (1722).
Dec. 20, 1708, he was appointed by the selectmen to appraise a brick wall, on petition of
Capt. John Fairweather, and April 14, 1712, he was required to perform a similar service,
in answer to a petition of William Paine (1691).

Joseph Essex (1712), jack maker, of Boston, married Hannah Bill, March 30,
1 7 13. The only time his name appears on the Records of the Town of Boston is July
20, 1 7 19, when he applied to the selectmen for a license as an innholder. Administra-
tion was granted on his estate in 1719. "His trade," says Mr. Whitman (1810), "like
that of a pewterer, and some others, is extinct."

Daniel Goffe (1712), merchant, of Boston, son of Christopher and Abigail Goffe,
was born in Boston, May 27, 1690. He married, Aug. 16, 17 11, Elizabeth, daughter of
Benjamin (1707) and Elizabeth Pemberton.

He was a constable of Boston in 1713, and collector of taxes in 1733, receiving one
hundred and twenty-one out of the one hundred and twenty-six ballots cast. ]\[ay 9,
1733, he was chosen one of the committee "to make a computation of the cost and
charges of erecting the several markets." Oct. 31, 1733, a special meeting of the town

Samuel Durham (1712)- Authority: Bos- Daniel Goffe (1712)- Authority: Boston

ton Records. Records.



'7«2-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 381

was called to elect a tax collector in the place of Daniel Goffe (1712), who declined to
serve. He was active in the colonial militia, and passed through the various grades
to lieutenant-colonel. He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 17 14, and
its lieutenant in 1734.

"In 1740, he manifested his good- will to Harvard College by bequeathing to it
two hundred pounds ; but, his estate proving insolvent, this legacy was not paid."
Administration was granted on his estate in 1742.

John Greenough (17 12), shipwright, of Boston, son of Capt. William (1675) and
Ruth (Swift) Greenough, was born Feb. 17, 1672-3, and followed the business of his
father. He married Elizabeth Gross, Oct. 18, 1693, and had a family of eleven children,
two of whom became members of the Company, viz. : Major Newman Greenough (1740)
and Thomas Greenough (1744).

John (1712) was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1712, ensign in 1717,
lieutenant in 17 18, and its captain in 1726.

Samuel Greenough (1786) was a son of Major Newman Greenough (1740), grand-
son of Capt. John (1712), and great-grandson of Capt. William Greenough (1675).

Capt. John (1712) was highway surveyor of the streets of Boston in 1708 and 1709.
June 14, 1708, he represented to the selectmen that the alley lately named Greenough's
Alley was his private property. May 3, 1708, the selectmen had voted, in the naming
of streets and alleys, that "the alley leading from Charter Street doun through Mr.
Greenough's building yard into Lyn Street [should be named] Greenough's Alley."
Nov. 29, 1708, he hired of the town the slip at the lower end of North Street, and the
wharf thereto belonging. He used this slip for floating, laying, and hauling up timber
to be used in his ship-yard. In 1712, he was a fireward of the town. Feb. 14, 1715,
the selectmen made a memorandum, from which it appears that Capt. Greenough (17 12)
occupied the town slip to Nov. i, 17 15, when there was due the town two years and
nine months rent at thirty shillings per annum. July 30, 1722, he had liberty granted
by the selectmen to build a tomb on the southeast side of the North burial-ground.

His will was proved Nov. 14, 1732.

Daniel Henchman (1712), book publisher and bookseller, of Boston, son of
Hezekiah (1692) and Abigail Henchman, and grandson of "the valiant Capt. Hench-
man [1675]," ^vho figured prominently in King Philip's War, was born in Boston,
Jan. 21, 1689.

He was clerk of the market in 1716 ; an incorporator of the Fire Society in 1717 ;
tithing-man, and a member of a militia company in Boston in 1722, 1726, and 1727;
was overseer of the poor from 1735 to 1756, when he declined to serve longer; was one
of the committee to erect a workhouse in Boston in 1735, toward which project he gave
twenty-five pounds; was one of a committee to repair the almshouse in 1741, and to
repair the fortifications of the town in 1746. In 1744, 1751, 1753, "ind 1757, he was
one of the several gentlemen selected to visit the public schools. He became an officer
of the militia; was called " Capt." in 1735; was promoted to be major of the Boston
regiment in 1742, and afterwards was its lieutenant-colonel. He was clerk of the

John Greenough (1712). .Vuthority: Bos- Daniel Henchman (1712). .Vuthorities:

ton Records. Teele's Hist, of Milton; Boston Records; Thomas's

Hist, of Printin"; Drake's Hist, of Boston.



382 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1712-3

Artillery Company in 1714, third sergeant in 17 15, lieutenant in 1733, and its captain
in 1738 and 1746.

He also established the first paper mill in the colony, in which undertaking he was
favored by the General Court. It was in Milton, and was established in 1728. Isaiah
Thomas, in his History of Printing, says that "Daniel Henchman [17 12] caused the
first edition in America of the English Bible to be printed [in 1749], and with a false
title-page to evade the right of the King's printer."

While captain, he ordered the Company's records to be transcribed, and thereby
the most of Mr. Barnes's transcript of 1680, especially the roll of members and list of
officers, is preserved. The transcript ordered by Capt. Henchman (17 12) has come
down to our time, and in a good state of preservation.

Col. Henchman (1712) continued all his life much attached to the Company. He
lived to enjoy, in its youthful vigor, the shade of the great elm-tree on the Common,
which his grandfather, Capt. Daniel (1675), planted. "He was long distinguished as
an eminent bookseller in Cornhill," and in 1726 his shop was "over against the Brick
Meeting house in Cornhill." The title-page of the sermon which Rev. Mr. Prince pro-
nounced on the death of Rev. Cotton Mather, D. D , bears this imprint : " Boston in
New England : Printed for D. Henchman, near the Brick Meeting house in Cornhill
M.D.CCXXVIII."

He gave in his will to the poor fund of the Old South Church, of which church he
had been a deacon for many years, ^fib ly. j^d. In 1742, he presented Harvard
College with one hundred ounces of silver, and in 1747, with two hundred and fifty
pounds, Old Tenor. He gave by will his estate, after his wife's decease, to his son-in-law,
Thomas Hancock, Esq., and wife. Thomas Hancock, when young, was a clerk in
Daniel Henchman's (17 12) book-store, and married his daughter, Lydia.

Thomas Hancock, who died in 1764, uncle of John Hancock, Governor, patriot,
and president of the Continental Congress, willed the latter fifty thousand pounds sterling,
besides the reversion of twenty thousand pounds at the decease of his widow. Accord-
ing to Mr. Whitmore's "Civil List," Daniel Henchman (1712) was appointed a justice
of the peace Jan. 26, 1738-9, and was reappointed Sept. 14, 1756.

"Daniel Henchman [1712] was the most eminent and enterprising bookseller that
appeared in Boston, or indeed in all British .'America, before the year 1775 ; and since
that time few have exceeded him as a publisher. He furnished much employment for
the presses of Boston, and several books printed for him in London, which were sent
over in sheets."

He lived in Queen, now Court, Street, in what was the Brattle Street Society's
parsonage, which was willed to that society by his daughter, Mrs. Hancock.

Col. Daniel Henchman (171 2) died in Boston, Feb. 25, 1761. The following
obituary notice of him is taken from the Boston Gazette and Country Journal of March
2, 1761 : "Last Wednesday night, died here, Daniel Henchman Esfj. [1712] one of his
Majesty's Justices of the Peace for Suffolk, and many years Deacon of the (Old) South
Church in this town, Overseer of the Poor, &c. He was esteemed one of the most
noted and eminent booksellers and stationers on this continent. We hear his remains
are to be interred this afternoon."

"First Monday in March 1761," says the regimental book, then kept by Col. Dawes
(1754), "he was buried, not being in commission, yet the officers of the Regiment all
walked in procession before the corpse."



>7'2-3] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 383

Samuel Oakes (17 12), saddler, of Boston, son of Lieut. Thomas (1684), was born
about 1688. Samuel (17 12), by wife, Jamina, had a child born in Boston in 1709.

He was elected a clerk of the market in 1727; constable in 1728; and, May 6,
1729, the petition of Samuel Oakes (17 12) to the town was read in the town meeting
and dismissed. The records do not give the subject-matter of the petition. July 4,
1729, his petition for a retailer's license in Cornhill (Washington Street) was approved,
and again, July 15, 1730, in Marlborough (Washington) Street.

Administration was granted on his estate in 1733.

William Taller (1712), of Dorchester, was a son of William and Rebecca Tailer.
The father, " distinguished for his active enterprise, fell into melancholy and died by
his own hand, July 12, 1682." Col. William (1712) married, (i) March 2, 1699,
Sarah Byfield, daughter of Col. Nathaniel Byfield (1679) ; and (2) Abigail, daughter of
Benjamin Gillam, and widow of Thomas Dudley. His mother, Rebecca, was a daughter
of Israel Stoughton (1638), and a sister of Lieut.-Col. Israel Stoughton (1645) and of
Lieut. -Gov. William Stoughton, the chief-justice in the witchcraft cases of 1692.

Col. WiUiam (17 12) resided in Boston, but had a country-seat in Dorchester. He
was identified with the military, and commanded one of the regiments raised for the
capturing of Port Royal. In the fall of 17 11, he arrived with her Majesty's commission
as lieutenant-governor of Massachusetts, a position which he held from Oct. 4 of that
year until Nov. 9, 17 15, when he became acting Governor, and served until the arrival
of Gov. Shute, Oct. 4, 17 16, whose friends bought for him the Governor's commission
for one thousand pounds. Col. William Tailer (1712) was then superseded by Lieut.-
Gov. Dummer (1702), but was reappointed lieutenant-governor April 14, 1730, and held
that office until his decease, March 8, 1731-2. He was in England in 1721, and was
sent with Spencer Phipps as commissioner to treat with the "Six Nations" Indians at
Albany, and " empowered to promise a bounty for every scalp, if they would go out
against the enemy (French) ; but they met with little success." He favored the private-
bank party, and Mr. Hutchinson says he was " a gentleman of no great fortune and
whose stipend from the government was trifling." He was a member of the council
from 1712 to 1729 inclusive, and was appointed a justice of the peace June 30, 1702,
and reappointed Dec. 19, 1728. He became a member of the First Church in Boston,
and served many years as a deacon. He died at his country-seat in Dorchester, while
holding the office of lieutenant-governor, March 8, 173 1-2, aged fifty-five years.

The Nno England Journal of March 13, 173 1-2, contained the following obituary
notice: "The corpse of the Hon. William Tailer, Esq [1712], Lieut. Governor of this
Province, was interred at Dorchester, with great honor and respect. The bells of this
town [Boston] were tolled from eleven o'clock to five. The cannon of his Majesty's
Castle William, of which he was the beloved Captain, were discharged at their funeral
distance, the flag being half raised. The pall was supported by his Excellency, Gov.
Belcher, the Hon. William Dummer [1702], Addington Davenport [1692], Thomas
Hutchinson [1694], Elisha Cooke [1699], and Adam Winthrop [1694] Esqr's. The
funeral was attended by a great number of gentry in their coaches, &c." All of the
pall supporters except Gov. Belcher were members of the Artillery Company.

Samuel Oakes (1712). AuxHORnv: Boston William Tailer (1712). Authorities: An-

Records. "als of King's Chapel, p. 184; Eliot's Biog. Diet.;

Mem. Hist, of Boston; Drake's Hist, of Boston.



384 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1713-4

" The inventory of his estate was, — real ^^8282 ; personal, ;^i04g. 19. 3 — of which
there were 177 ounces of silver plate."

He was captain of the Artillery Company in 1712, the year in which he joined the
Company.

The record of the Artillery Company for 1 7 1 2 is as follows : —

"April 7. 1712. Then voted by the Artillery Company, that the four training dales
shall be on the Second Tuesday in each Training month, the Election day only excepted,
which is to continue to be on the first Monday in June.

"Then the Rev'd Mr. Peter Thacher of Weymouth was chosen to preach the
.Artillery Sermon, and the then Commission officers, with Col : Samuel Checkley [1678]
and Lt Colo Savage [1699] and Maj. Thomas Fitch [1700] were desired to request it
of him.

" May — . It was accepted by him."

Rev. Peter Thacher, of Weymouth, who preached the Artillery election sermon in
1 7 12, was a son of Thomas Thacher (1671), of Boston, and nephew of Rev. Peter
Thacher, of Milton, who delivered the election sermon before the Artillery Company in
1695. Rev. Thomas Thacher, who delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1654 and
1671, was a grandfather of Rev. Peter, of Weymouth. The last named was born (bap-
tized) in Boston, Aug. 26, 1677, and graduated at Harvard College in 1696. He was
ordained Nov. 26, 1707, as the pastor of the church at Weymouth, where his grandfather.
Rev. Thomas, was first settled. After a pastorate there of fifteen years, he removed to
Boston and took charge of the New North Church. He had many opposers. " The
services of installation were interrupted by tumult and force," and one result was a
seceding of members from the New North Church and the formation of another which
eventually became known as the " New Brick." He served as pastor of the New North
Church from Jan. 27, 1723, until his decease.

His mother was Mary Savage, daughter of Major Thomas Savage (1637). His
father died in 1686, but his mother survived until 1730, when she gave all her property
to her son, Rev. Peter, of the New North Church, who married Hannah Curwin, Oct. 14,
1708, but had no children. He died Feb. 26, 1738.



The officers elected were : Charles Hobby (1702), captain; Edward
J / J '2"^. Hutchinson (1702), lieutenant; Thomas Smith (1702), ensign. Joseph
' »-^ ' Hiller (1709) was first sergeant; Samuel Haugh (171 1), second ser-
geant; John Hunt (1709), third sergeant; James Tileston (171 1), fourth sergeant,
and Jonathan Williams (171 1), clerk.

In 1 7 13, the Treaty of Utrecht was signed, by which Nova Scotia or Acadia was
made over and ceded to Great Britain, including Port Royal or Annapolis, and all other
places belonging to or claimed by France in those parts, except Cape Breton. A treaty
was also made with the eastern Indians soon after. Thus peace came at length to the
long harassed colonists, but they were sorely pressed by the results of war. Bread and
wood were especially scarce and high in Boston.

Judge Sewall (1679) wrote under date of May 30, 1713, "[Court] adjourned to
June 2, because of the Artillery."

The members recruited in 17 13 were : James Alford, Francis Parnell.




loclK9aA)) ^^<n.sj^ur-^



1714-S] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 385

James Alford (1713), of Boston, son of Capt. Benjamin (1671), and brother of
Col. John (1714), of Charlestown, was born in Boston, July 19, 1691. He was elected
constable in 1721, and clerk of the market in 1723, but, declining to serve, paid the
usual fines. He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1737.

Francis Parnell (17 13), merchant, of Boston, son of Francis and Dorothy Parnell,
was born Sept. 26, 1693. He married, Oct. 27, 1715, Elizabeth Southac. He was
elected clerk of the market in 17 18 and 1720, declining to serve the latter year, and was
a tithing-man and a member of a Boston militia company in 17 19. In the latter, he rose
to the rank of captain.

He was one of those disaffected by the installation of Rev. Peter Thacher as pastor
of the New North Church, in Boston, in 1719; was one of the founders of the New
Brick Church, and prominent in the erection of its meeting-house, which was dedicated in



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 56 of 73)