Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 57 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 57 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


May, 1 72 1. Mr. Ephraim Eliot says, in his work, "They placed the figure of a Cock as
a vane upon the steeple [of the New Brick] out of derision of Mr. Thacher, whose
Christian name was Peter"

Capt. Francis Parnell (17 13) was third sergeant of the .\rtillery Company in 17 18,
its ensign in 1720, and lieutenant in 1721.

He died suddenly at Boston, in October, 1724.

The record of the Artillery Company for 1 7 1 3 is as follows : —
"April 14, 1713. Then the Rev'd Mr. Sampson Stoddard was chosen to preach the
Election Sermon and the Commission officers, with Colo. Checkley [1678] were desired
to manifest the same to him. Then voted by the Artillery Company That the training
dales shall be on the first Monday in each training Month as formerly.

" October 5 17 13. Then voted by the Artillery Company of the Massachusetts, That
Colo. Samuel Checkley [1678], Lt. Colo. Thomas Savage [1693], Major Thomas Fitch
[1700] and Capt Thomas Hutchinson [1694], with the present Commission officers for
this Company, be appointed a committee to Treat with and lease out, to any person or
persons that may present, the farm belonging to said Company, not exceeding the term
of twenty-one years."

Rev. Samson Stoddard,' who delivered the Artillery sermon in 17 13, was a son of
Samson Stoddard, of Boston, and grandson of Anthony Stoddard (1639). Simeon
(1675) and Simeon, Jr. (1702), were respectively uncle and cousin of Rev. Samson
Stoddard. The latter graduated at Harvard College in 1701. He settled in Chelmsford,
July 25, 1706, and died there, Aug. 23, 1742. His birth date is not given in the records
of Boston. According to the Records of the First Church, he was baptized Jan. 12,
1 69 1, when he was twelve years of age.



The officers elected were : Edward Winslow (1700), captain ; John

T 'y J ^- C ^ Gerrish (1700), lieutenant; Jonathan Pollard (1700), ensign. John

• \ yJ Alford (1714) was first sergeant; Jonathan Williams (1711), second

James Alford (1713). Authority: Boston '"[>7i3] June i. Mr Stoddard of Chelms-

Records. ford preaches the Election Sermon \. Sam. II : 30,

Francis Parnell (1713). Authorities : Bos- 'Them that honor Me I will honor.' Made an

ton Records; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Com- Excellent Discourse." — Scwall Papers, Vol. II.,

pany, Ed. 1842. A 386.



386 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [>7i4-5

sergeant; John Sale (1704), third sergeant; Daniel Goffe (1712), fourth sergeant, and
Daniel Henchman (1712), clerk.

In the year 17 14, another church was established in Boston, by a division in the Old
North Church. The new one was called the New North Church. Mr. Drake, in his
History of Boston, p. 544, gives the names of its seventeen original founders, of whom
Erasmus Stevens (1720), Caleb Lyman (1732), John Pecker (i7.^.^) . John Goldthw ait ^>C,
(1720), William Parkman ( 1711), Joshua Cheever (1732), were, in the years indicated,
members of the Artillery Company. The three deacons first elected were members of
The bid North Church, viz. : Robert 'Cumby (1691), Edward Proctor (1699), and James
Clark. Rev. Cotton Mather, not willing these brethren should be dismissed to the New
North Church, three other deacons were elected, one of whom was Caleb Lyman, who
joined the Artillery Company in 1732. Col. Ephraim Hunt (1717) was elected a deacon
March 8, 1726. William Parkman, son of William (171 1), was the last ruling elder in
this church. He was elected in 1743, and died about 1776. Every pastor of this church,
from 1714 to 1852, except one, was a preacher before the Artillery Company, viz. : Rev.
Peter Thacher, in 1712 (when minister at Weymouth) ; Rev. John Webb, in 1719 ; Rev.
Andrew Eliot, in 1750, and Rev. Francis Parkman, in 1815.

The members of the Artillery Company recruited in 1714 were: John Alford,
Nathaniel Balston, Jonathan Barnard, Thomas Chamberlain, John Darrell, John Eliot,
Benjamin Gerrish, James Gooch, Benjamin Hiller, John Holyoke, Samuel Holyoke,
Edward Pell, Gillam Phillips, John Wheelwright.

John Alford (17 14), merchant, of Charlestown, son of Benjamin (1671) and
brother of James Alford (i7i3),was born in Boston, July 5, 1685. Nov. 12, 1713, he
married Margaret, daughter of Col. Thomas Savage (1693).

Oct. 22, 1708, the selectmen "Ordered that Samuel Thorn be employed to take
down the fence two rod in length between Capt Alfords [1714] & Mad'" Shrimpton's
Land, for ye Laying open of Gentry Street." The same year the selectmen named "the
way leading from Beacon Street, between Capt Alford's land and Madam Shrimpton's
pasture," Gentry Street.

He was elected constable of Boston in 17 17, but refused to serve, and his case being
taken to the quarter-sessions by the selectmen, he was excused by the justices. He
was an overseer of the poor in 1720 and 1721, and May 6, 1729, he was appointed, with
Henry Deering (1682) and Nathaniel Cunningham (1720), to prepare a letter of instruc-
tions for the representatives of Boston.

Jan. 16, 1753, in reply to the desire of Thomas Hancock, the selectmen reported
the extent of Gentry Hill, and the highway leading up to it from the Common. They
said that " the hill on which the beacon stands, and which is the property of the town, is
six rods square, and the highway (Gentry Street) leading up to the hill from the Com-
mon, between the land of John Alford [17 14] and the land now of Thomas Hancock,
Esq., late Col. Samuel Shrimpton's [1670], is thirty foot in width throughout the whole
length."

He was one of his Majesty's councillors from 1730 to 1733, and was appointed a
justice of the peace March 4, 1723-4; reappointed Dec. 29, 1731, for Suffolk County,
and was appointed to the ofifice for Middlesex County, Sept. 2, 1725.

John Alford (1714). Authoritiks: Boston Shurtleff's Topog. Des. uf Boston; Quincy's Hist, of
Recorils; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Keg., 1852; llarv. Cull.



•7'4-S] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 387

He sold to William Molineaux, in 1760 (see Gleaner article XLII.'), one hundred
feet on Beacon Street, being the lot on which Mr. Molineau.x built his mansion-house.

"The worshipful John Richards [1644] " gave by will "to Mr. John Alford [1714],"
his nephew, " son of Benjamin Alford [1671], all that piece or parcel of land lying near
Beacon Hill." According to Gleaner article LHI.,' Mr. Alford (17 14) sold, in 1732,
a small lot thereof to Ebenezer Messenger, and in 1735 conveyed to Thomas Hancock
a lot on which the stone mansion of the Hancock family was erected.

Col. Alford (1714) was especially distinguished as the founder of the Alford Pro-
fessorship of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy, and Civil Polity, at Harvard College,
and for the giving of a large sum to the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel among
the Indians of North America. He was a gentleman of great wealth, "and highly
respected in his public and private character." He died Sept. 30, 1761, leaving
no issue.

He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1714.

Nathaniel Balston (1714), of Boston, son of Jonathan and Susanna Balston, of
Boston, was born July 27, 1687. Nathaniel Balston (1714) married (perhaps second
marriage), June 22, 1727, Hannah Hurst. He was a tithing-man and member of a
militia company in Boston in 1708 and 1709, clerk of the market in 1711, and was
elected constable in 1724, but refused to serve and paid the fine. In 1735, he was on
a committee to petition the Legislature for an abatement of the town taxes; in 1741
was an auditor of the accounts of the overseer of the workhouse, and in 1740 and 1744,
he was auditor of the town treasurer's accounts. June 30, 17 12, Nathaniel Balston
was approved and recommended by the selectmen as a "retaylor," in Milk Street.
From 1743 to 1753 inclusive, he made the "General walk or visitation of the town"
with the prominent men of the place. He was appointed a justice of the peace
June 28, 1740.

He was clerk of the Artillery Company in 1715, second sergeant in 1716, ensign
in 1726, and lieutenant in 1728.

Jonathan Barnard (1714), of Boston, son of John (1677), and grandson of Lieut.
Matthew Barnard (1660), was born Jan. 14, 1692. He was elected constable in 1725,
but declined and paid the fine. April 18, 1733, Jonathan Barnard (1714) was assessed
ten shillings for repairs on the pump "standing in the towns ground in Corn Hill"
(corner Washington and Court streets).

He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1716.

Thomas Chamberlain (1714) was a carpenter, of Boston. He married, ."Xug. i8,
1715, Hannah Welch. He was a constable of Boston in 17 18, and a viewer of shingles
and measurer of boards, etc., in 1720 and 1721.

In the fall of 1708, Thomas Chamberlain (1714) built himself a house on Orange,
now Washington, Street, and April 29, 17 14, was permitted to lay a sewer from it, "down
as farr as the Sea." Feb. 4, 1717, his petition for a license as an innholder "at ye

Nathaniel Balston (1714)- Authority: Thomas Chamberlain (1714). Authori-

Boston Records. ties: Boston Records; Drake's Landmarks of

Jonathan Barnard (1714)- .Vuthokitv: Boston.

Boston Records. ' Fifth Report of Boston Record Commissioners.



388 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1714-5

House known by ye Name of the White House " was allowed by the selectmen ; but to
sell beer and cider in 17 18 was disallowed. The White Horse Tavern was "at the South
End," nearly opposite where Hayward Place now is.

He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1721.

John Darrell (1714), of Boston, son of John, was born .\ug. 28, 1685. He married,
Nov. 7, 1706, Rachel Thwing, an aunt of Col. Nathaniel Thwing (1736). He was on
several important committees of the town: to provide a more effectual watch, 1736;
to prevent frauds in wood measurement, 1739 and 1743, and to regulate the firing of
chimneys. May 22, 1741, he made a motion in town meeting, that " a committee be
appointed to wait on his Excellency, to advise some measure to protect such coasters
as may be bringing wood, provisions, etc., from being impressed on board his Majesty's
ships of war, lying in the harbor."

John Darrell (1714) lived on King, now State, Street. He was appointed a coroner,
Dec. 23, 1731. He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1723, its ensign in
1737, and was lieutenant in the militia. He was a member of the West Church, and a
deacon for some years. His will was proved Dec. 3, 1 746.

John Eliot (1714), of Boston, son of Joseph, was born in Boston, March 17, 1692.
Benjamin (1707) was an uncle of John (1714). The latter was a great-grandson of
Jacob, who was a brother of Rev. John, the apostle to the Indians, and of Philip
Eliot (1638). John Eliot (17 14) married, June 4, 17 19, Sarati Downes. He was clerk
of the market in 1720; was again elected in 1722, but declined. In 1734, he was one
of four citizens who agreed, at their own expense, to put the land of Jonathan Willis
" into a proper posture to erect buildings for a market thereon, and keep the same in
good repair for ten years." The town thanked the gentlemen for their offer, but the
project of the market was defeated.

He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1721.

Benjamin Gerrish (17 14), merchant, of Boston and Charlestown, son of John and
Elizabeth (Waldron) Gerrish, of Dover in 1669, brother of Capt. John (1700), and
uncle of John, Jr. (1718), was born in Dover in 1686. Benjamin (17 14) was a cousin
of Samuel Gerrish (1709), the bookseller, son of Joseph Gerrish, of Wenham. Benjamin
(1714) married, (i) June 28, 1716, Martha Foxcroft, daughter of Francis Foxcroft
(1679), °f Cambridge. She died April 14, 1736, and he married, (2) June 22, 1738,
Abigail Bunker, who died March 10, 1749. He died June 23, 1750, in the sixty-fourth
year of his age, and was buried in Charlestown.

In 1719, he served as clerk of the market, which was the only town office he held.
He probably removed to Charlestown about 1740. He was taxed there from 1741 to
1748. In the latter year he sold "ship tavern" to Ebenezer Breed. His house in
Charlestown had the river on the southeast and the lane to Barber's Wharf on the
northwest. Major Moses Deshon (1737) was one of his heirs.

He was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 17 15, and was captain in the
militia.

John Darrell (1714)- Authority: Boston Benjamin Gerrish (1714). Authokitv: Bos-

Records, ton Records.

John Eliot (1714)- Authority: Boston
Records,



'7'4-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 389

James Gooch, Jr. (1714), distiller, of Boston, son of James and Hannah Gooch,
was born in Boston, Oct. 12, 1693. He married, Sept. 30, 1715, Elizabeth Hobbie.

March 5, 1722, the selectmen granted permission to James Gooch, Jr. (i7i4),to
erect a " distill house " on his land in the westerly part of Boston "near the Mill pond " ;
and July 30, ne.xt following, he erected a dwelling-house "on his land in the westerly
part of Boston." Probably these buildings were erected on Salem Street (once called
Green Lane) ; for Mr. Gooch, Jr. (1714), in 1736 petitioned for the paving of that lane,
and agreed to pay for the whole work, if the town would repay him within three years.
His will is dated 1732, and was proved June 5, 1738.

He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1717, and ensign in 1733.

Benjamin Hiller (1714), of Boston, son of Joseph and Susanna Hiller, was born in
Boston, Jan. 19, 16S7. He was a brother of Joseph, Jr. (1709), and married, Feb. 10,
1 7 14, Elizabeth Russell. He does not appear to have held town office.

He was clerk of the Artillery Company in 17 16 and 17 17, and fourth sergeant
in 1717.

John Holyoke (1714), of Boston, son of Elizur and Mary (Elliot) Holyoke, was
born Feb. 10, 1683. He married a Mrs. Green, of Cambridge, and died without issue.
He was a brother of Samuel (17 14).

John Holyoke (17 14) was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1718. He
was elected constable in 1728, but was excused. In 1730, he served as clerk of the
market, and the next year paid the fine rather than serve as constable. He held the
office of scavenger in 1735, 1739, ^^'^ i743-

Samuel Holyoke (17 14), school-master, of Boston, son of Elizur and Mary (Elliot)
Holyoke, was born in Boston, March 21, 1694. He married, Jan. 4, 1724, Elizabeth
Bridgham, daughter of Joseph (1674). He was a brother of John (1714), and of
Edward, president of Harvard College, 1737-69.

He was elected clerk of the market in 17 18, and, in 1726, instead of serving as a
constable, paid the fine. March 12, 1732, Samuel Holyoke (1714) was elected "master
of the school lately kept by Mr. Edward Mills, deceased," at a salary of one hundred
and twenty pounds per annum, and have " the use of the house Mr. Mills lived in."
March 10, 1734, his salary was increased thirty pounds, and May 17, 1738, fifty pounds
more were added to it, per annum. This school — called the Writing School, in Queen,
now Court, Street — was held in a house erected in 1698. Jan. 30, 1698-9, the select-
men "Ordered that the school-house lately built in the Prison Lane [Court Street] on
the side of the Hill, over against the land of Capt. Samuel Sewall [1679] remain fenced
in and no more of said Hill be improved by building," etc. .Samuel Holyoke (17 14)
taught this school from 1732 until his decease, in 1768.

Oct. 10, 1739, "Mr Samuel Holyoke [1714] informs [the selectmen] that the
Town's House, wherein he dwells, wants repairs." Oct. 24, Capt. Armitage and Mr.
Colson being desired, upon the motion of Mr. Holyoke (1714), entered the loth instant,
to view the school-house in Queen Street, report, "they find repairs necessary." This

James Gooch (1714). Authority: Boston Samuel Holyoke (1714). Authority: Bos-

Records, ton Records.

John Holyoke (1714). Authority: Boston
Records.



390



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ['714-5



language seems to imply that the school-master lived in a part of the school-house. In
1740, Mr. Holyoke (1714) informed the selectmen that "the Town House wherein he
lives and keeps his school is leaky and wants repairs." The number of scholars in this
school in 1741 was fifty-three; in 1751, ninety, and in 1761, two hundred and forty-nine.
During a few of the last years of his teaching, his salary was eighty pounds per annum.

He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1719, clerk in 1727 and 1731,
and its ensign in 1729. He died March 16, 1768, and was buried in the Granary
Burial-Ground.

Edward Pell (1714), painter,- -or " paper stainer," according to the ancient roll, —
of Boston, son of Edward and Elizabeth Pell, was born in Boston, Oct. 19, 16S7. He
was a brother of William Pell (1716). He drew the plan of the New Brick Church which
was erected at the North End in 17 20-1, on Middle Street. It was said at the time
" to be the handsomest meeting-house in the Province." He was one of the founders of
that church. He had formerly been a member of the New North Church, but was one
of the members aggrieved on account of the installation of Rev. Peter Thacher, Jan. 27,
1720. He became a captain in the militia; was first sergeant of the Artillery Company
in 1716, ensign in 1722, and lieutenant in 1726.

His will, dated 1735, was proved March 22, 1736. Inventory, four thousand seven
hundred pounds.

Gillam Phillips (1714), merchant, of Boston, son of Samuel (1693) and Hannah
(Gillam) Phillips, was born in Boston, Oct. 4, 1695. He married, Aug. 6, 1725, Mary
Faneuil, daughter of Benjamin and sister of Peter Faneuil, of Boston. He was not
prominent in the affairs of the town, though belonging to that class, wealthy and cultured,
who were first in all the benevolent and progressive matters of the town.

April 18, 1733, Mr. Benjamin Walker brought in his bill for repairing the pump
standing in the town's ground in Cornhill, or near the corner of Court and Washington
streets. The expense was assessed upon the store-keepers and dwellers who frequented
the pump, among whom were Dudson Kilcup (1727), Jonathan Barnard (1714), Gillam
Phillips (1714), Capt. Daniel Henchman (1714), and Capt. Samuel Rand (1720).

Gillam Phillips (1714) was a member of Christ Church, senior warden in 1729,
and Dr. Snow gives his name in a list of the pew owners. It was at Mr. Phillips's (1714)
request that Pudding Lane, Devonshire Street, between State and Water streets, was made
"more strait," by the taking of some of his land, which he gave to the town in 1746.

He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1716, and he died Oct. 17,
1770, aged seventy-five years.

John Wheelwright (1714) was a merchant in Boston. He married Mary Allen,
Oct. 20, 1 7 15. He was chosen a scavenger of Boston in 1734 ; naval officer at Boston in
1737 > examiner of the accounts of the overseer of the workhouse, March 30, 1741 ; was
one of the auditors of the town treasurer's accounts from 1740 to 1755. He gave. May
25, 1 735, the sum of fifty pounds, to be paid " in timber, at the market price," toward the

Edward Pell (1714). Authority: Boston John Wheelwright (1714). .\iithorities :

Records. Boston Records; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A.

Gillam Phillips (1 714). Authority: Boston Company, Ed. 1S42.
Records.



l7'S-6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 39 1

erection of the new workhouse. The auditing committee, in 1750, state in their report
that " Hon. John Wheelwright, Esq., has settled and transferred the several balances
from the late treasurer Wadsworth's books into a set of new books for Mr. Jeffries," the
new treasurer.

In 1728, he resided in Cold Lane, now Portland Street. His place of business was
near Oliver's Dock. He often attended the selectmen and others in visiting the public
schools. The last service he rendered the town, according to the records, is visiting the
schools, June 27, 1759. He was appointed justice of the peace, Dec. 19, 1728; was
a representative to the General Court from Boston, and one of his Majesty's council.

" A List of Soldiers under the line of 6/ per diem for delinquency.

"Richard Bill [1707], Benjamin Pemberton [1707], John Ellis [1709], Samuel
Gerrish [1709], Brattle Oliver [1709], James Smith Junr [1709], John Hunt [1709],
Abiel Walley [17 10], William Tidcomb [17 10], Robert Calfe Jun [1710], George Robin-
son [1710], Estes Hatch [1711], Daniel Goffe [1712], Joseph Essex [1712], Daniel
Henchman [1712], James Alford [1713], Francis Parnell [1713], John Wheelwright
[1714], Nathaniel Balston [1714], John Alford [1714], Gillam Phillips [1714], Benja-
min Gerrish [1714], Samuel Holyoke [1714], Jonathan Barnard [1714]."

The records of the Artillery Company for 17 14 are as follows : —

"April 5, 1 7 14. Then the Rev. Mr. Joseph Sewall, of Boston, was chosen to preach

the Election Sermon, and the present Commission officers are desired to manifest the

same to him."

Rev. Joseph Sewall, who preached the Artillery election sermon in 17 14, son of
Samuel (1679) and Hannah (Hull) Sewall, of Boston, was born Aug. 15, 1688. His
mother was a daughter of Capt. John Hull (i66o), the mint-master. He graduated at
Harvard College in 1707, and was ordained to the Christian ministry, as colleague with
Rev. Ebenezer Pemberton, at the Old South Church, Sept. 16, 17 13. He married, Oct.
29, 1713, Elizabeth, daughter of Hon. John Walley (1671). They had two sons, Samuel
and Joseph. Samuel was the father of Samuel, born 1757 (Harv. Coll., 1776), who was
the third chief-justice given by this family to our Supreme Court. Rev. Joseph Sewall
was pastor of the Old South Church upwards of fifty years. He was assisted by Rev.
Thomas Prince for forty years, and by Rev. Alexander Cumings for two years. He w-as
chosen president of Harvard College in 1724, but declined the honor. He was a good
scholar, faithful teacher, and painstaking pastor. He laid very great stress on the creed
of his church, and Christianity consisted in its acceptance. He died June 27, 1769, in
the eighty-first year of his age. His funeral sermon was delivered by Dr. Chauncy, and
was printed.



. The officers elected were ; Edward Martyn (1702), captain ; Thomas

J T J C"Q. Smith (1702), lieutenant; Adino Bulfinch (1702), ensign. Benjamin

' ^ Bridge (1711) was first sergeant; Benjamin Gerrish (1714), second

sergeant; Daniel Henchman (1712), third sergeant; James Alford (1713), fourth

sergeant, and Nathaniel Balston (17 14), clerk.

Rev. Joseph Sewall. Authorities: Eliot's Biog. Diet.; Sprague's Annals of .Vmerican Pulpit;
Cbauncy's Funeral Sermon.



392 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1716-7

March 2, 17 12-3, the selectmen agreed to propose to the town their being concerned
in the charge of a hghthouse. The proposal was made in town meeting, March 9,
1712-3, and Addington Davenport (1692), Isaiah Tay, Daniel Oliver, Thomas Gushing
(1691), Oliver Noyes (1699), Joseph Wadsworth, and Edward Hutchinson (1702), with
the selectmen, were appointed to consider what was proper to be done by the town.
Aug. 4 following, William Paine (1691) and John Colman, son of William (1676), were
desired by the selectmen to procure a draft of an act to lay before the General Gourt in
regard to the erection and maintenance of a lighthouse by the town. An act was passed
by the Legislature in May, 17 15, locating a lighthouse upon the Great Brewster, and it
was built at the expense of the province. March 14, 17 14-5, the town voted that
Addington Davenport, Esq. (1692), Major Thomas Fitch (1700), Mr. Elisha Cooke, Jr.
(1699), Capt. Oliver Noyes (1699), and Gapt. Samuel Keeling (1699), be a committee
to consider the suppression of abuses to the inhabitants of this town by hucksters.

The only member of the Artillery Company recruited in 17 15 was James Wright.

James Wright (17 15) married Elizabeth . They had James Wright (1736),

born Oct. 23, 1703. Also, a James Wright married Susanna Nichols, Aug. 27, 1719.
His name does not appear elsewhere in Boston Records.

The records of the Artillery Company for 17 15 are as follows : —

"April 6, 1 7 15. The Rev. Mr. Joseph Stevens of Charlestown was chosen to

preach the Election Sermon and the present Commission officers were desired to request

it of him. Accepted by him."

Rev. Joseph Stevens, the preacher of the Artillery sermon in 1715, was a son of
Joseph and Mary (Ingalls) Stevens, of Andover. Joseph, Jr., was born June 20, 1682,
and graduated at Harvard College in 1 703. He was ordained pastor of the First Church
in Charlestown, Oct. 13, 1713, and died of small-pox, Nov. 26, 1721.



, The officers elected were: Samuel Keeling (1699), captain;

J 7 J Q-y, Jonathan Pollard (1700), lieutenant; Richard Bill (1707), ensign.

' • Edward Pell (1714) was first sergeant; Nathaniel Balston (1714),

second sergeant; Jonathan Barnard (1714): third sergeant; Gillam Phillips (1714),



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 57 of 73)