Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 59 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 59 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The salary of Rev. Thomas Blowers, at Beverly, was eighty pounds per annum, witii
" an allowance of one hundred pounds for a settlement." His residence was near Char-
nock Street, which takes its name from that of his married daughter, Emma Charnock.
He continued in the pastoral office in Beverly until his decease, June 17, 1729.

' " [1717, June] 3. Mr Blowers preaches from Governor gave the Slaves on the Change by reason
I Sam. 16. 18. Mr. Edward Hutchinson is chosen of the wet weather." — SaoaU Papers, Vol. Ill,,
Captain; Capt N. Oliver L'; Greenough Ensign. /. 131.



400 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [i7i8-9

p. The officers elected were: Thomas Hutchinson (1694), captain;

J 7 J Q-Q^ John Greenough (1712), lieutenant; Joseph Hiller (1709), ensign.

' -^ Nathaniel Goodwin (17 n) was first sergeant; Samuel Barrat (171 7),

second sergeant; Francis Parnell (1713), third sergeant; John Holyoke (17 14), fourth

sergeant, and Thomas Jackson (17 16), clerk.

In 1 7 18, Thomas (1694) and Edward (1702) Hutchinson, executors of John
Foster, Esq. (1679), proposed to be at the charge of erecting a house convenient for
a free writing-school at the northerly part of Boston, for the benefit of said town. It was
accepted, and the building was erected on land purchased by the town of Mrs. Susanna
Love, corner of Bennet and Love (now Tileston) streets, where the Eliot School-House
now stands.

At the town meeting. May 14, 1718, the fortifications of the town were again con-
sidered, and Capt. Timothy Clarke (1702), Col. Edward Hutchinson (1702), with three
other persons, were appointed a committee to consider the state of the fortifications,
advise in regard to placing a battery at the end of Long Wharf, and repair the North
Battery.

Sept. 29, 1718, the selectmen having been informed "that ye Sconce or South
Battrey is become deffective and unfit to keep ye Townes powder there Ordered that
Capt Timo Clarke [1702] be desired to send said powder to the Powder House, takeing
Mr Powning [1691] rec't for the Same. . . .

"Ordered that Capt Timo Clarke [1702] be desired to move to his Exel'cy the
Gov'r & Councel for a Supply of So much of ye Townes powder as hath been Expended
in the Service of the Province."

The new members of the Artillery Company recruited in 17 18 were: Sampson
Dewer, John Eyre, John Gerrish, Jr., and Jonathan Sewall.

Sampson Dewer (171S), of Boston, son of Sampson and Sarah Dewer, was born in
Boston, Jan. 28, 1690. This name is spelled in the Boston Records, Dewer, Dure, and
Duer. He was a brother of David Dewer (on city records ; Dure, on Company record),
who joined the Artillery Company in 1695. He was a tithing-man, and a member of
the militia of Boston in 1713, and clerk of the market in 1721.

The family burial-place was in King's Chapel Burial-Ground.

John Eyre (1718), often Eire or Eyers, merchant, of Boston, son of Hon. John
Eyre (1682), was born Aug. 7, 1700, and he graduated at Harvard College in 1718.
His mother was Catherine, daughter of Capt. Thomas Brattle (1675), ^'^'ho after the
death of John Eyre (1682), in June, 1700, married Wait Winthrop (1692). He settled
in Boston as a merchant. John Eyre (1718) was elected constable for 1723, but was
excused, and the following year was elected to the same office and excused again. He
lived on Queen Street, adjacent to the prison, as his mother conveyed to him, Oct. 21,
1724, land adjoining his own residence there. Feb. i, 1725-6, he, with his wife, Anne,
and others, sold to Jacob Wendell (1733), for seven hundred pounds, warehouses and
wharf privileges at the foot of King (State) Street, lately the property of their mother,
Catherine Winthrop. March 7 of the same year, the General Court granted him a strip
of land off of the prison estate, for a passage way. Dec. 23, 172S, he mortgaged his

Sampson Dewer (171S). AurHORirv: Bos- John Eyre (1718). Authorities: Boston

ton Records. Records; Descendants of Thomas Brattle, p. 70.







^^^^m^n^^



'7'9-20] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



401



estate on Queen Street to Jacob Wendell (1733), and Feb. 20, 1732-3, gave a second
mortgage for the same. He probably soon after removed to Portsmouth, N. H., where
he was living in August, 1741. He died, according to the Triennial Catalogue of
Harvard College, in 1753.

He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1722.

John Gerrish, Jr. (1718), merchant, son of Capt. John (1700) and Lydia (Watts)
Gerrish, was born in Boston, Jan. 22, 1695. He does not appear to have held town
office. He joined the Old South Church, March 7, 1735-6, and administration was
granted on his estate in 1737.

Jonathan Sewall (1718), of Boston, son of Stephen and Margaret (Mitchell) Sewall,
of Salem, was born in Salem, Feb. 7, 1693. Jonathan (1718) was a brother of Major
Samuel Sewall (1720).! They were nephews of Major Samuel (1679). Jonathan
(17 18) married Mary Payne, of Boston.

He was clerk of the Artillery Company in 1720, and first sergeant in 1726.

The record of the Artillery Company for 1 7 1 8 is as follows : —

"April 7. 1 7 18. The Rev. Mr. John Barnard was chosen to preach the Artillery

Election Sermon, and the commission officers were appointed to request it of him.

Accepted by him."

Rev. John Barnard, who preached the Artillery election sermon of 17 18, was a son
of John Barnard (1677), of Boston. He was born Nov. 6, 1681, and graduated at
Harvard College in 1 700. He became a minister of much distinction, being first settled
in Marblehead. The town proposed to select a colleague for Rev. Mr. Cheever, the aged
and infirm pastor of the church. There were two candidates. Rev. John Barnard and
Rev. Edward Holyoke. The town selected the former, and, as a result, a second church
was formed with the latter as pastor. On the 9th of November, 1715, Mr. Barnard
entftred upon his duties as colleague.

He died Jan. 24, 1770. His interesting autobiography is printed in 3 Massachusetts
Historical Collections, V., 178.



The officers elected were: William Dummer - (1702), captain ; !
J V J Q"20. Joseph Hiller (1709), lieutenant; John Sale (1704), ensign. Joseph j
• -^ Hubbard (17 17) was first sergeant; Ephraim Hunt (1717), second "

sergeant; William Downe (1716), third sergeant; Samuel Holyoke (1714), fourth
sergeant, and William Pell (1716), clerk.

On the twenty-ninth day of April, 17 19, the town voted, "The Thanks of this
Town unto the doners of the Two North School Houses, vizt : The Hon'ble Thomas

" ['7'^] ^'^y 2 [should be June 2]. Mr Bar- New England in 1661; (2) .Stephen, born Aug. 19,

nard preaches the Artillery [sermon]." — Snuall 1657. Stephen had Major .Samuel (1720), born

Papers, Vol. III., p. 1S6. Nov. 24, 1689, and Jonathan (1718), born Feb.

' Henry Sewall came to New England in 1634. 7, 1693.
He returned to England prior to 1649, and had (i) ^ " [1719] June I, 2d day. Lt. Gov. chosen

Samuel (1679), born March 28, 1652, who came to Captain." — Sewall Papers, Vol. III., p. 221.



402



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1719-20



Hutchinson Esq [1694] for the Gramer School-house. And ye S'd mr Thomas Hutch-
inson [1694] and also Edward Hutchinson [1702] Esqrs for ye Writing Sch. House."

During 1719, the people of Boston were distressed, so much so that a committee
was chosen by the town to consider what could be done for the " relief of this town
under their present distresses," and that they make report to the town. John Clark,
Thomas Fitch (1700), Oliver Noyes (1699), Elisha Cooke (1699), John Marion
( 1 691), William Clarke (1703), and Edmund Knight (1700) were chosen said com-
mittee. At the next town meeting, the above-named committee made a report in
writing, which received the approbation of the town, but its contents are not now
known.

The only new member recruited in 1719 was Solomon Blake.

Solomon Blake (1719), cooper, was a son of Edward Blake, cooper, who resided in
Dorchester, but subsequently removed to Milton, where he died in 1692. A deed in the
Suffolk Files reads, "Jonathan Blake, cordwainer and Solomon Blake [1719] cooper of
Boston, with their wives Elizabeth and Abigail convey lands inherited from their grand-
father William of Dorchester, deceased." William was the father of Edward Blake.

Solomon Blake (1719) was constable of Boston in 17 14. The warrant for a town
meeting, to be held May 28, 17 14, was issued in usual form, and given to the constable.
June I, complaint was made against Solomon Blake (17 19), because he did not make
return of the warrant, and "the said meeting was wholly disappointed and defeated."

He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1720. His uncle, William Blake,
joined the Artillery Company in 1646.

The record of the Artillery Company for 17 19 is as follows : —

"April 6, 1 7 19. The Rev. John Webb was chosen to preach the Election Sermon
and the Commission officers were appointed to request it of him. Accepted by him.

"Sept. 7"' 1 7 19. Then voted that the above committee, only putting in Lt. Col.
John Ballentine [1682] in the room of Capt. Nathaniel Oliver ( 1701] be a committee."

The committee referred to is doubtless the one selected in 1717, of which Qapt.
Oliver (1701) was a member, to see if the terms of the lease had been complied with.

Rev. John Webb, of Boston, deHvered the Artillery election sermon in 17 19.
He graduated at Harvard College in 1708. In 17 14, the New North Church was
organized, and a meeting-house built. There were two candidates for the pastorate, —
Rev. John Barnard, who delivered the Artillery sermon in 17 18, and Rev. John Webb,
who was then chaplain at Castle William. Mr. Webb was elected at the second trial,
and was ordained the first minister of the New North Church, Oct. 20, 17 14. After
surviving the labors of one colleague, Rev. Peter Thacher, who delivered the .'Artillery
sermon in 171 2, and enjoying the assistance of another for eight years, Mr. Webb died
peacefully, April 16, 1750, aged sixty-two years. His colleague pronounced him "one
of the best of Christians and one of the best of ministers."

Rev. John Webb. Authorities: Sprague's Annals of Amevican Pulpit; Allen's Biog. Diet.



'720-I] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



403



The officers elected were : Thomas Fitch (1700), captain ; Richard

1720"!.''''^^ ('707)1 lieutenant; Francis Parnell (1713), ensign. Solomon

• Blake (1719) was first sergeant ; John Gibbins (1717), second sergeant ;

William Pell (1716), third sergeant; James Halsey (1716), fourth sergeant, and Jonathan

Sewall (1718), clerk.

Sept. 28, 1720, the town chose a committee to consider about promoting a spinning-
school or schools, for the instruction of the children of the town in spinning. Habijah
Savage (1699), Daniel Oliver, William Paine (1691), and four other persons, were
appointed said committee.

The recruits who united with the Artillery Company in 1720 were: Samuel Bass, ';
John Buttolph, Andrew Cunningham, Nathaniel Cunningham, John Goldthwait, William l X
Lee, Daniel Pecker, James Pecker, Samuel Rand, Samuel Sewall, and F.rasmus Stevens. j

Samuel Bass (1720), tanner, of Boston, probably came from Braintree. He
married Christian Turell, April 9, 1717. He was constable in 1719 and 1751, and
scavenger in 1754.

In 173S, he petitioned the town to sell him a certain parcel of its land, and in 1742
the same petition was again presented. The parcel was bounded northerly on Water
Street one hundred feet, and easterly on said Bass's land twenty-nine feet, and southerly
on said Bass's land, in part, and westerly on Joyliffe's Lane. The lot he desired was
therefore twenty-nine by one hundred feet, on the southeast corner of Water and
Devonshire streets, for which he and Kezia Harvey offered the town five hundred
pounds. There were then a "stable shop and shed" on the lot. The offer was not
accepted, but the selectmen were authorized to sell it by giving public notice.

In 1744, Samuel Bass (1720) was chosen one of a committee to collect the sum of
ten thousand pounds from the inhabitants of Boston, for the purpose of building batteries
and fortifications for the defence of the town, said amount having been levied by the
assessors.

In February, 1756, a committee prepared a petition to be sent to the General
Court, setting forth " their difficulties and repeating their grievances," showing " the
decayed and diminished circumstances" of the town. At the meeting, when the petition
was presented to the town, Feb. 11, 1756, Mr. Samuel Bass (1720), tanner, was chosen
to report upon the decline of the tanning business from 1746 to 1756, "and reduce the
same to writing." On this committee, besides others, to make a report on their several
trades, were Benjamin Hallowell (1733), shipwright, Nathaniel Thwing (1736), baker,
and Joseph Belknap (1742), leather-dresser.

He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1724, and a member of the Old
South Church. His will was proved in 1766.

John Buttolph (1720), wine cooper, of Boston, was a son of Nicholas (1694) and
Mary (Guttridge) Buttolph, of Boston. He married, June 19, 1710, Mehitable lord.
Capt. John (1720) was a scavenger in 1720, 1730, and 1731, and was elected constable
in 1722, but declined and paid the fine. His petition, June 30, 1713, " to sell strong
drink," was "distinctly voted — disallowed" by the .selectmen. March 29, 171 7, the
selectmen let to Mr. John Buttolph (1720), cooper, the middle cellar under the town-
Samuel Bass (1720). AUTHORITY: Boston John Buttolph (1720). Authority: Boston
Records. Records.



404



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1720-1



house for one year from April 7, at fourteen pounds per annum. In 1729, he resided
in Leverett's Lane, now called Congress Street.

He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1723, and its ensign in 1732.
Administration was granted on his estate in 1739; inventory filed in 1746, and a will
was found in 1750.

Andrew Cunningham (1720), merchant, of Boston, son of Andrew and Sarah
Cunningham, and brother of Capt. Nathaniel Cunningham (1720), was born in Boston,
Aug. 17, 1692. He married, May 5, 1722, Mary Hirst. Capt. Andrew (1720) was
elected constable in 1722, and collector of taxes in 1745, 1746, and 1747. He made
the visitation to the famiUes of the town, Feb. 14, 1723-4, also in 1745 and 1746, in
company with the justices and others. When collector of taxes he had as his bondsmen
Jacob Wendell, Esq. (1733), and John Hunt, Esq. (1709). He discharged his duty with
acknowledged satisfaction, and was a man of great activity and public spirit. He died
April 27, 1752, in the sixtieth year of his age, and was buried in the Granary Burial-
Ground.

He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1724.

Nathaniel Cunningham (1720), merchant, of Boston, son of Andrew and Sarah
Cunningham, and brother of Capt. Andrew Cunningham (1720), was born in Boston.
Capt. Nathaniel (1720) lived on Cross Street, owned land there, and had a large real
estate in Boston, among which was a pasture at Barton's Point.^ His house and land
at the bottom of the Common were the subject of the Otis lawsuit. He left the Old
South Church a legacy for its poor.

He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1722, ensign in 1727, lieutenant
in 1730, and its captain in 1731.

Capt. Nathaniel Cunningham (1720) was one of the most influential men of his
time in Boston, and the reports, in the records of Boston, from those committees of
which he was chairman, are alike creditable to his judgment and intelligence. Both
he and his brother, Andrew (1720), were captains in the militia. He was constable of
Boston in 17 19. Among the important committees of the town upon which he was
chosen to serve, often as chairman, were: on instructing the representatives, in 1731,
1736, 1738, and 1739; on the scheme for regulating the markets, 1732; computing the
cost of erecting them, 1733; assigning places for their location, 1733, and erecting the
market houses in 1734. He was on the committee for purchasing grain in 1733, i734,
1735, and 1736; moderator of town meeting in 1732 and 1734; on committee on
dividing the county in 1735, right of the town in Windmill Point in 1733, and in the
town dock in 1735 ; petitioned the General Court, by order of the town, represent-
ing its defenceless condition in 1739, and its distressed condition in 1735 ; and for the

Andrew Cunningham (1720). Authorities: Wendells [1733] Intertainment. where Dynd &c."
Boston Records; Pilgrims of Boston, by Bridgman. ^jfoiirnal of Capl. Francis Goelet, in Ncm Eng.



Nathaniel Cunningham (1720;. Authori- Hist, and Gen. Reg., January, li-jo.

TIES : Boston Records; Drake's Hist, of Boston. ' " His estate was valued at ,^50,000. He gave

" October 11, 1750. After Breakfast, went with to Dr. .Sewall's church sixty ounces of silver; to the

Mr Nat Cunningham to the Commons to See the poor of the church, ^{^500; to each daughter, ^10,-

Training, which Consisted of Twelve Compys Foot 000; and the rest of his estate to his son, Nathaniel,

and three Compys Horse from thence they march'd He gave the town, now Spencer, land for a meeting-

into Kings Street, Exercis'd their Horse and Foot. house and training field." — See Hist, of Spencer

Fireing Several VoUies, we went in the Towne and Suffolk Probate Records.
House Facing the Street . . . from thence to Cap'



'720-I] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



405



il



]



relief of Boston from the province tax in 1742. He opposed the setting off of Ruraney
Marsh (Chelsea) in 1738, and favored the new bridge from the western part of Boston
to Col. Phips's farm in 1739; and in 1742 he was one of the committee chosen to
express to Peter Faneuil, Esq., the thanks of the town for his generous gift. In 1727-8,
he resided on Marlborough, now Washington, Street. He served as representative to
the General Court in 1739.

He died in London, Sept. 7, 1748. His tomb in the South burial-place was
No. 40.

John Goldthwait (1720), of Boston, was the same as John Goldthwait (1711).
See page 375.

William Lee (1720) was a shipwright, of Boston. He was a " noted ship-builder,
and lived at the North End." He held town office in 1728 and 1729 only. May 22,
1722, he signed the covenant, and became a member of the New Brick Church, in
which he was a deacon for many years. Jan. 23, 1733, the town treasurer complained
"that Mr. William Lee [1720] is six years behind in his rent of five pounds p. year for
the town's slip at the bottom of Coney's Lane." Mr. Lee (1720) replied that he had
suffered by its lack of repair, and that he had paid out thirteen pounds on it. This was
allowed, settlement made, and he rehired the slip at nine pounds per year. Jan. 19,
1736, he agreed with the selectmen for the town slip, at the lower end of Cross Street.
Cross Street is probably another name for Coney's Lane. In 1708, Cross Street ran
"from the Mill Pond, southeasterly, by the late Deacon Phillip's stone house, to the sea."
The slip was not far from the corner of Cross and North streets.

" Dea. William Lee [1720], cooper and shipwright, died March 15, 1769, aged 90."

Daniel Pecker (1720), a tallow-chandler in Boston, was born in 1690. He mar-
ried, (i) Oct. 29, 1713, SarahCheever; and, (2) Sept. 23, 1743, at Boston, Mrs. Elizabeth
Wellard. He had a son, Daniel, also a tallow-chandler. The latter, of whom Mr. Whit-
man (1810) speaks, died, according to his gravestone in the Granary Burial- Ground,
March 4, 1777, aged sixty years. As he was born in 1717, he could not have been the
Daniel Pecker of the Artillery Company in 1720, nor could the son have been a founder
of the New Brick Church.

Capt. Daniel Pecker (1720) was a scavenger of the town of Boston in 1727, con-
stable in 1728, and hog-reeve in 1730. He was elected to the responsible office of
collector of taxes, Nov. i, 1733, which he held until Dec. 10, 1739, when he declined to
continue in it on account of the small pay. In March following, he was elected assessor,
and continued in that office until 1749.

His residence was on Middle Street in 1719, and also in 1724 ; for, Feb. 11, 1723-4,
the selectmen "granted to Capt. Daniel Pecker [1720] liberty to try tallow and make
candles in a shed behind his house in Middle Street, according to his petition."

He gave five pounds, March 25, 1735, towards the erection of the new workhouse.
April 16, 1744, he was chosen one of a committee to raise, by a tax on the inhabitants of
Boston, the sum of ten thousand pounds. Old Tenor, the same to be applied in erecting
batteries and fortifications in said town.

William Lee (1720). AuTHORrrv: Boston Daniel Pecker (1720). Authorities: Bos-

Records, ton Records; Pilgrims of Boston,



4o6 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1720-1

May 22, 1722, he signed the covenant of the New Brick Church. He was active in
the militia, serving as captain for several years. In 1729, he was lieutenant of the
Artillery Company.

He died Oct. 2, 1750, aged sixty years, and was buried in the Granary Burial-
Ground. His will, dated June 7, was proved Oct. 16, 1750.

James Pecker (1720), of Boston, "in his will," says Mr. Whitman (1810), "is
styled wharfinger." He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1727. He was
active in the formation of the New Brick Church in 171 ", but had previously been a
member of the Old South Church. He served the town as hog-reeve in 17 19, constable
in 1721, and clerk of the market in 1725 and 1731.

Nov. 19, 17 1 1, he, with Nathaniel Goodwin (17 11) and Benjamin Goodwin, was
appointed to survey a chimney, said to be defective and dangerous. Jan. 24, 17 15-6,
he laid a sewer, ninety-five feet in length, from the common sewer in Prince Street to
his cellar drain in Salem Street. June 27, 1717, the selectmen granted permission to
" Mr James Pecker and his Bro. Mr. Benj. Edwards, to build a tomb on the Southerly
side of the North burying ground." In 17 17-8, he is mentioned as one of the trustees
for the proprietors of the common sewer, which ran through Prince Street as far as the
lower end of Snow Hill Street, and thence into the Mill Pond. The distance was seven
hundred and ninety feet. Among those who made use of this sewer were, James Pecker
(1720), James Tileston (1711), Robert Gutteridge (1694), Capt. John Pecker (1733),
and John (1691) and William Clough (1695).

He died at Boston, April 30, 1734, after a lingering sickness. He was highly
respected, and " very much lamented."

Inventory, two thousand eight hundred and seventy-three pounds.

Samuel Rand (1720), tailor, of Boston, son of "Sergeant" Thomas and Sarah
(Edendeu) Rand, was born May 3, 1679. He married Sarah Paine, Jan. 20, 1703, at
Boston. They had eleven children, of whom the seventh, William, an apothecary and
army surgeon at Louisburg in 1745, joined the Artillery Company in 1732. Capt. Samuel
(1720) died in 1748, his will of Jan. 9 being proved Feb. 21. "His gravestone," says
Mr. Whitman (1810), "was recently standing in the Granary ground."

He was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1723, lieutenant in 1731, and
active in the militia of Boston, in which he attained the rank of captain. He became a
member of the Old South Church, Feb. 26, 1720-1.

Capt. Samuel Rand (1720) was a constable in 1713 and 1718; tithing-man in
1728, and scavenger in 1729. His location is approximately determined by the records.
In 1714, the selectmen appointed a committee — William Paine (1691), Nathaniel
Goodwin (17 11), and William Dawes — to estimate a brick partition wall between
George Cabot's and Samuel Rand's (1720) property, "on the northerly side of King
[State] Street in Boston"; and March 8, 1714-5, Samuel Rand (1720) was assessed for
repairs on the pump, corner of the present Court and Washington streets, and was again
assessed for the purpose, April 18, 1733.

Liberty was granted him, March 30, 1724, to build a tomb on the south line in the
South burial-place. It was numbered " 25."

James Pecker (1720). Authority: Boston Samuel Rand (1720). Authority: Boston

Records. Records.



I720-I] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 407

Samuel Sewall (1720), of Boston, son of Stephen and Margaret (Mitchell) Sewall,
of Salem, was born in Salem, Nov. 24, 1689. Jonathan (171S) was a brother of Major
Samuel Sewall (1720). They were nephews of Judge Sewall (1679).

He was active in town affairs, and though not an ofificer of the town, he served on
the most important committees: regulation of porters, 1734; better supply of wood,
1737 ; building the workhouse, 1737 ; relief in paying representatives, 1737 ; on retrench-
ment in town expenses, 1739; building bridge over Charles River, 1739, and against
firing guns on house-tops, 1 740-1, etc. He was an ofificer in the militia, major of the



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 59 of 73)