Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 61 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 61 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


clerk of Boston. Rev. Samuel succeeded his father as pastor of the Brattle Street
Church. In 1737, Rev. William Cooper was chosen successor of Mr. Leverett (1704) as
president of Harvard College, but declined this honor and trust. Mr. Cooper's labors
were continued as pastor, without interruption, till near the close of his life. He died
Dec. 13, 1743, aged forty-nine years. His funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Dr.
Colman, and was printed.



The officers elected were : Penn Townsend (1674), captain; William

J ^ '^ 9 " /I . Lowder (1708), lieutenant; James Tileston (i 711), ensign. Samuel

• «J I Rand (1720) was first sergeant; Zechariah Thayer (1722), second

sergeant; John Buttolph (1720), third sergeant; John Darrell (1714), fourth sergeant,

and John Cookson (1701), clerk.

The new recruit of the Artillery Company in 1723 was James Carey.

Rev. William Cooper. Authorities: Dr. ' "[1722] June 4. On ye 4. Mr. Cooper

CoUnan's Funeral Sermon; Panoplist, II.; Sprague's preached ye Artillery Sermon, from Psalm 45.-3. 4.

Annals of American Pulpit, Vol. I.; Allen's Biog. 5." — Jeremiah Bumstead''5 Diary,
Diet.



•724-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



415



James Carey (1723), cooper, of Boston, son of Jonathan and Hannah (Windsor)
Carey, "of Noddle's Island," was born April 2, 1686. He married, Jan. 15, 1707-8,
Sarah Tomline. Their daughter, Hannah, born April 25, 1713, married Daniel Tucker
(1733)- Their son, " Capt. Jonathan," joined the Artillery Company in 1740. Capt.
James (1723) was second sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1727, and was elected
clerk of the market in 1720, constable in 1723, and scavenger of Boston in 1730, 1731,
1732, and 1741.

He died Nov. 21, 1745, "in 6oth yr," says his gravestone in the Granary Burial-
Ground.

The record of the Artillery Company for 1723 is as follows : —

"April 2'' 1723. The Rev'd Mr. Thomas Foxcroft was chosen to preach the

Artillery Election Sermon, and the present commission officers were desired to request

it of him. Accepted by him."

Rev. Thomas Foxcroft, son of Francis Foxcroft (1679), delivered the Artillery
election sermon in 1723. His mother was Elizabeth, daughter of Gov. Danforth. He
was born Feb. 26, 1697, and graduated at Harvard College in 1714. His father was a
prominent Episcopalian, and designed this son for the service of the English Church.
But after his graduation at Cambridge he was engaged in teaching school at Roxbury,
where, becoming intimate with the Rev. Nehemiah Walter, he was convinced by that
minister of the truth and excellence of the Puritan faith, which he finally accepted, and
became an eminent advocate of that doctrine to the close of his life. Though born in
Boston, he was from early childhood brought up in Cambridge. He settled over the
First Church as colleague with Rev. Mr. Wadsworth in 171 7, and the following year he
married Anna Coney, of Boston, by whom he had one son and five daughters. He died
June 16, 1769, in the fifty-second year of his ministry.



The officers elected were: Edward Hutchinson (1702), captain;

J 724" ^. Samuel Greenwood (1722), lieutenant; Nathaniel Goodwin (1711),

• t *-y ensign. Ebenezer Bridge (1717) was first sergeant; Erasmus .Stevens

(1720), second sergeant; Samuel Bass (1720), third sergeant; Andrew Cunningham

(1720), fourth sergeant, and John Cookson (1701), clerk.

It was a custom in Boston for the justices and selectmen, accompanied by a con-
stable in each ward, to visit annually " the familys in the Several parts of the Town to
Prevent and Suppress Disorders, to Inspect Disorderly Persons new Comers, the Cir-
comstances of the Poor and Education of their Children, &c." On Friday, Feb. 14,
1724, this annual visitation was made by thirty-eight visitors, consisting oi twenty-one
justices, four overseers of the poor, five selectmen, and eight constables. They were
divided, by agreement, into eight parties, being one for each ward. Of these thirty-
eight persons, twenty-two were members of the Artillery Company.

James Carey (1723). AurHORiriEs: Boston Rev. Thomas Foxcroft. Authorities:

Records; Wyman's Charlestown Genealogies and Drake's Hist, of Boston; Eighty-tifth Annual Rec-
Estates. ord of A. and H. A. Company, 1723; Sprague's

Annals of American Pulpit.



41 6 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1724-5

June 3, 1724, Mr. William Clarke (1703) was chosen representative, in place of
John Clark, Esq., chosen councillor.

March 9, 1724-5, the town selected a committee to draw up some suitable method
for choosing jurymen. Nathaniel Byfield (1679), Thomas Fitch (1700), Adam Winthrop
(1694), Addington Davenport (1692), and Edward Hutchinson (1702), were chosen
for that purpose.

In 1724, according to Drake's History of Boston, Mr. Joseph Marion, son of Deacon
John Marion (1691), "established an insurance office in Boston, which appears to have
been the first in the town, and probably the first in New England." In 1728, his office
was where the Globe Bank now is, on State Street.

The members recruited by the Artillery Company in 1724 were : Jeremiah Belknap,
Thomas Edwards, Christopher Marshall, Stephen Paine, Samuel Swift, Thomas Tileston,
William Ward, Thomas Wiswall.

Jeremiah Belknap (1724), leather-dresser, of Boston, was a son of Joseph Belknap
(1692). Jeremiah (1724) first joined the Artillery Company in 1711, but, from some
cause having ceased to be a member of the Company, he rejoined it in 1724. See
page 373.

Thomas Edwards (1724), goldsmith^ of Boston, was a son of John 1 (1699), a
goldsmith, of Boston. He was born Jan. 14, 1 701-2, and married, Nov. 20, 1723, Sarah
Burr. His brother, Capt. Joseph, joined the Artillery Company in 1 738. His nephew,
John, Jr., joined the Artillery Company in 1747. Capt. Thomas (1724) was third
sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1729, ensign in 1747, lieutenant in 1750, and its
captain in 1753. "He did not command until the thirtieth year of his membership.
Up to this time, that honor was sparingly conferred upon young members." He was
clerk of the market in 1729 and 1747.

Being of the same trade as his father, it is probable they occupied the same shop.
The father's place of business was on " Dock Square, No. 6, between Mr. Dyer's and
Mr. Casno's." Capt. Thomas Edwards (1724) lived, in 1727-8, on Union Street, near
the Green Dragon Tavern.

"He died at his house in old Cornhill, now Washington Street." In his will, 1755,
he mentions wife, Eleanor ; daughters, Sarah Edwards and Elizabeth Cheever ; John
(1747), son of brother John; Joseph and John, sons of brother Joseph (1738), and his
brother Samuel.

Christopher Marshall (1724), of Boston, son of Thomas Marshall, of Boston, was
born May 22, 1697. He married, Nov. 29, 1716, Elizabeth Wheeler. He was a con-
stable of Boston in 1734, and the fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1727, and
was captain in the mihtia. Capt. Marshall (1724) was a captain in the expedition to
Cape Breton.

Letters of administration on his estate were granted in 1745.

Thomas Edwards (1724). Authorities: ' John Edwards (1699) was not born in 1687,

Boston Records; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. as stated on page 318, but he came to Boston,

Company, Ed. 1S42. a lad of ten or twelve years, with his father, in

Christopher Marshall (1724). Authorities: 1687-8.
Boston Records; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A.
Company, Ed. 1824.



'724-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 417

Stephen Paine (1724) was a carpenter. March 25, 1727, the contest for the
possession of certain lands and tenements near the dock, between Edward Bromfield
(1679) and others and the town, ended, when the said property was delivered to the town.
One of the tenements was occupied by Stephen Paine (1724), at a rental of sixteen
pounds per annum. Jan 23, 1728, "the selectmen went upon the spot," and notified
Stephen Paine (1724) that he must quit the town's tenement, on the south side of the
dock in Boston, by April 23, 1729. He held a minor town office in 1728.

Samuel Swift (1724), lawyer, of Milton, son of Deacon Thomas and Elizabeth
(Vose) Swift, of Milton, was born in Milton, Dec. 10, 1683. His father, and his grand-
father, also, had been quartermasters of a troop of horse, with the rank of lieutenant.
Deacon Thomas Swift " was appointed by the General Court to have charge of the
Neponset Indians, and was constantly active in the Indian wars."

Col. Samuel Swift (1724) married Ann, daughter of Thomas Holman, of Milton.
He was a man of wealth and influence, filling many offices of trust and importance in
the town. He was judge of the Court of Common Pleas, colonel of the militia, repre-
sentative to the General Court, moderator of town meetings eleven years, — between 1734
and 1747, — and selectman for fifteen years, — between 1735 and his death in 1747.

His second son, Samuel, joined the Artillery Company in 1746.

Thomas Tileston (1724), of Dorchester, son of Timothy and Sarah (Bridgman)
Tileston, of Dorchester, and brother of Ensign James Tileston (17 11), of Boston, was
born in Dorchester, Oct. 19, 1675. He was a very prominent and useful man in his
native town. For about ten years he was representative ; for twenty-four years, select-
man ; also held other important offices in the town, and from the position of a private
soldier was promoted in regular order until he became lieutenant-colonel.

On the 29th of October, 1716, Capt. Thomas Tileston (1724), with two other
citizens, was appointed " to look for the thousand acres of land granted to Dorchester
school, to see where they could find the same." Sixty years after the original grant, the
school land was found "beyond Lancaster," in what became Lunenburg, Worcester
County.

Mr. Whitman (i8io) says, "Col. Thomas (1724) was colonel of the first regiment
in Norfolk, then part of Suffolk County." He was lieutenant in the Artillery Company
in 1725, and was appointed a justice of the peace for Suffolk County, July 3, 1734. He
died Oct. 21, 1745, aged seventy years and two days.

William Ward (1724), son of William and Hannah (Johnson) (Eames) Ward, was

born March 27, 1680. He married Jane , probably Jane Cleveland, of Boston, and

resided in Southboro. He was for many years a member of the militia, and rose
through the several grades to the rank of colonel. He was a noted surveyor, and was
often employed by the proprietors of new townships to survey their house-lots and subse-
quent divisions of the common lands. He thereby became a proprietor of many of the
new towns, and an extensive landholder. He was a magistrate in early life, and was

Stephen Paine (1724). Authority : Boston Thomas Tileston (1724). AuTiiuRnTEs:

Records. New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1859, p. 122; Hist.

Samuel Swift (1724). Authoriit: Teele's of Dorchester, by Antiq. and Hist. .Soc.
Hist, of Milford. William Ward (1724). Authority: Ward

Genealogy.



41 8 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1725-6

much employed in public business. He petitioned the General Court for a grant of
land for losses in the Narraganset war, sustained by the father of his wife (Solomon
Johnson, of Sudbury), and eventually became possessed of one thousand acres of land
in Charlemont, originally granted to the town of Boston. His children inherited it, and
in that town and vicinity his descendants remain, and are numerous. His wife, Jane,
died at Southboro, April 12, 1745. He married, second, Sarah Smith, at Westboro, in
1758, and he died at Southboro, Jan. 8, 1767, in the eighty-seventh year of his age.

Thomas Wiswall (1724) resided in Dorchester. He was one of the committee
authorized to erect the new meeting-house in 1743.

The record of the Artillery Company for 1724 is as follows : —

"April 6"^ 1724. The Rev'd Mr. Ebenezer Thayer was chosen to preach the

Artillery Election Sermon, and the present commission officers were desired to request

it of him.

"Accepted by him."

Rev. Ebenezer Thayer, who delivered the anniversary sermon before the Company
in 1724,' was a son of Rev. Nathaniel and Deborah Thayer; was born in Boston, Feb. i,
16S9-90; graduated at Harvard College in 1708, and was settled the first minister of
the Second Church in Roxbury, Nov. 26, 1712.

In 1706, a considerable number of famihes "at the west end of Roxbury, towards
Dedham," on account of their great distance from the meeting-house, desired to be set
off as a separate precinct, and so petitioned the General Court. This petition failed,
but later, in 1712, the project succeeded, and a separate precinct was formed. The
meeting house had already been built, and a congregation gathered. Nov. 2, 17 12,
the Second Church was organized; on the 26th of the same month their pastor was
settled over the new parish. These relations were continued until the decease of
Rev. Mr. Thayer. He married, June 4, 1719, Lydia Copeland, who died Feb. 8, 1730.
He died March 6, 1733, at the age of forty-four years.



^ The officers elected were: Thomas Fitch (1700), captain; Thomas

J V2 k"0. "'^'^^^'•'-"^ (1724), lieutenant; William Downe (1716), ensign. James
' ^ Fosdick (1722) was first sergeant; Thomas Foster (1722), second

sergeant; Richard Bulkley (1722), third sergeant; Joseph Russell (1722), fourth ser-
geant, and John Cookson (1701), clerk.

May s, 1725, four representatives to the General Court were elected, the whole
number of votes cast being three hundred and thirty-two. Three of the four persons
elected were members of the Artillery Company, viz. : William Clarke (1703), Thomas
Gushing (1691), and Ezekiel Lewis (1707).

Deacon John Marion (1691) for many years had charge of the Common and
collected the pasturage money. May 3, 1725, the selectmen again empowered him to

Rev. Ebenezer Thayer. Authorities: '"[1724] On ye 1. Mr Thear preacht ye artil-

Sprague's Annals of American Pulpit; Thayer's lery election Sermon, from Timothy, ' fight ye good
Family Memorial. fight of faith." — Jeremiah Bumstead's Diary.



■725-6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 419

" Receive the 5/ & Six pence of the ownerer of Each Cow that goes on the Conion and
give forth Tickets accordingly for this year."

The new members of the Artillery Company recruited in 1725 were; John .\shley,
Nicholas Belknap, John Chandler, Edward Durant, Samuel Jones, John Phillips, Ralph
Smith, Thomas Wells.

John Ashley (1725) was a shopkeeper in Boston. He married, June 13, 1734,
Mary Causland. His petition to the selectmen for license to sell " Beer, Ale, Cider &c "
was approved by them July 24, 1734, and March 3, 1735, he was licensed and approved
as an innholder on Dock Square. Aug. 24, 1737, his innholder's license on Dock Square
was disallowed; Aug. 17, 1738, his application for a retailer's license on Newbury Street
was rejected. The Sun Tavern had Samuel Mears as its proprietor in 1724. He died
in 1727. No license was granted to any innkeeper on Dock Square until John Ashley
(1725) was licensed, in 1735. This tavern was kept by Capt. James Day (1733) in
1755. Its proprietor in 1735-8 was probably John Ashley (1725).

Administration was granted on his estate in 1739.

Nicholas Belknap (1725), leather-dresser, of Boston, son of Joseph (1692), grand-
son of Joseph (1658), half-brother of Jeremiah (1711), and a brother of Abraham
(173s), was born in Boston, Oct. 15, 1695. He married, May 25, 1727, Huldah Booket.
He was elected clerk of the market in 1724, and constable in 1729, but he was excused
from service in the latter office. At a meeting of the selectmen, held July 13, 1724, it
was granted unto Nicholas Belknap (1725) to improve part of his land in Harris's
pasture near Cambridge Street, for curing leather, according to his petition.

He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1728.

John Chandler (1725), husbandman, of Woodstock, Conn., son of Deacon John
Chandler, was born April 16, 1665, in Roxbury. Deacon John, with other citizens of
Roxbury, moved in 1686 to New Roxbury, afterward called Woodstock, Conn., and
there settled. John Chandler (1725) married, Nov. 10, 1692, Mary Raymond, of New
London, Conn. Their eldest child was John, who joined the Artillery Company in 1734.
Mary (Raymond) Chandler died April 8, 1711, and Col. John (1725) married, Nov. 14,
171 1, Esther (Britman) Alcock, of Charlestown.

In 1688, a lot of land in New Roxbury was assigned to him, and Feb. 24, 1 690-1,
he was chosen clerk of the writs. The town of Woodstock was organized Nov. 27, 1690,
when John Chandler (1725) was chosen town clerk, and was also selected to instruct
the children to read, write, and cipher. March 8, 1692-3, he was re-elected town clerk,
and allowed twelvepence for every town meeting, for writing the votes, and sixpence for
every record of all grants of land. In 1693-4, he was one of the town committee, and
in 1694 selectman, at which time he was given thirty acres of land for his work as town
clerk and recording "Earmarks." He resided several years in New London, and in
1698 he was licensed to keep a house of entertainment in that town. He returned to
(South) Woodstock, and was appointed town surveyor, April 3, 1703. He was repre-
sentative to the General Court at Boston as early as 171 1, and for several years after.

John Ashley (1725). AuTiioRnY: Boston John Chandler (1725;. AuTHoKniKs: New

Records. Eng- Hist, and Gen. Reg., 1876; Boston Nnus-

Nicholas Belknap (1725)- AUTHuRriY: LMer, Aug. 18, 1743; Genealogy of Chandler

Boston Records. Family, by Dr. George Chandler, Worcester, 1883.



420



HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1725-6



Worcester in 1722 furnished five men for the country's service, in the company of
scouts under Major John Chandler (1725). In July, 1724, orders were issued to
Col. Chandler (1725) to impress twenty men for the frontier service. The presence
of these soldiers may have saved Worcester from desolation.

He moved to Worcester about 1731, when Worcester County was organized. The
first Probate Court in Worcester County was held by Col. Chandler (1725), as judge,
on the 13th of July, 1731, and the first Court of Common Pleas was held on the 13th
of August following, by Hon. John Chandler (1725), who was commissioned as judge
June 30, 1731. His son, John, Jr. (1734), was clerk of both courts, and one of the
justices of the General Sessions. Col. John (1725) resigned as judge of the Common
Pleas Court, Oct. 5, 1739. He also became colonel of an infantry regiment. He was
appointed a justice of the peace June 5, 1707 ; was reappointed Dec. 19, 1728.

"To which stations of civil, judicial, and military honors," says Mr. Lincoln, in his
History of Worcester, " he rose by force of his strong mental powers with but slight
advantages of education. While in Woodstock, he represented the town in the General
Court of Massachusetts Bay, and was a member of his Majesty's council from 1727 to
1733. He was the father not only of Judge Thomas Chandler, of Chester, Vt., but also
of Judge John Chandler [1734], who resided in Worcester and who was the progenitor
of that most respectable and influential family of Chandlers, that flourished there prior
and up to the Revolution."

He died in Woodstock, Conn., Aug. 10, 1743, in his seventy-ninth year, and was
buried, as desired in his will, " in Woodstock, with a flat stone, without any inscription,
covering his remains."

"The death of Judge Chandler [1733]," says the historian of Windham County,
Conn., " severed the strongest tie that bound Woodstock to Massachusetts."

Edward Durant (1725), blacksmith, of Boston, son of Edward Durant, was born
in Boston, March 2, 1694-5, and married, March 31, 1715, Judith Waldo. He was
clerk of the market in 1 719, constable in 1723, and scavenger in 1729. July 3, 1728,
the selectmen granted the petition of Edward Durant (1725), asking liberty to build a
dwelling-house in Winter Street. He was one of a committee, appointed May 17, 1732,
and reappointed July 28 following, to receive proposals concerning the demolishing or
repairing the old buildings belonging to the town on Dock Square. The committee met
at Mr. William Coffin's, Bunch of Grapes Tavern, every Thursday, from 6 to 8 p. m., to
receive proposals. In 1732, he removed to Newton, having purchased there a farm of
ninety-one acres.

"He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1726.

The town book of Newton contains the following : " 1734. Captain Edward Durant
[1725] asked leave to build a pew in the meeting house, and was refused. He was a
very wealthy man from Boston and owned three slaves, — paid eighteen hundred pounds
for his farm'."

The Massachusetts CentiiicI rtcordi : "Judith Durant, wife of Capt Edward [1725],
late of Newton, died October 27, 1785." He died in 1740.

Samuel Jones (1725), blacksmith, of Boston, son of Samuel Jones, was born Feb. 5,
1688. He married, Nov. 28, 17 10, Katherine Barnard.

Edward Durant (1725). Authorities: Bos- Samuel Jones (1725). Authority: Boston

ton Records; Smith's Hist, of Newton. Records.



■725-6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 42 1

The record of the town of Boston under date of April 27, 1720, is as follows:
"Mr Samuel Jones [1725], Blacksmith, is chosen to Serve as one of ye clerks of the
market for ye year ensuing," etc. He also served as constable in 1724, and scavenger
in 1730. He lived in 1721 on Salem Street, and was second sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1728.

He died Aug. 26, 1731, aged forty-two years, and was buried in Copp's Hill
Burial-Ground.

John Phillips (1725), merchant, of Boston, son of Samuel and Sarah Phillips, of
Salem, was born at Salem, June 22, 1701. He became an apprentice to Col. Henchman
(1712), stationer and bookseller, and having married, Nov. 21, 1723, Mary, the eldest
daughter of Nicholas Buttolph (1694), bookbinder and bookseller, he settled in Boston.
Their son was Lieut. William Phillips (1762), who married Margaret, daughter
of Col. Jacob Wendell (1733). Their child, John, grandson of Col. John (1725),
became the first mayor of the city of Boston. Mary (Buttolph) Phillips died Aug. 15,
1742, and Col. Phillips (1725) married Abigail, daughter of Rev. Mr. Webb, of
Fairfield, Conn.

Col. John Phillips (1725), called "stationer" in the town records, was elected clerk
of the market, March 11, 1727, and constable, March 8, 1735, but in both cases, declining
to serve, paid the usual fine.. May 25, 1735, he gave twenty-five pounds, "to be paid
in goods," towards the erection of the new workhouse. In the town records, he is
called " Capt." in 1734, " Dea." in 1742, and "Esq." in 1747. He was elected an
overseer of the poor, March 9, 1741-2, and served until March 14, 1763, when he was
excused at his own request. He served as a fireward from 1747 to 1761 inclusive, and,
declining to serve longer, received the thanks of the town, March 8, 1762, for his past
services. He visited the public schools, with the clergy and others, in 1747, 1752, and
1759. ^^ ^^^^ moderator of seventeen town meetings, between Dec. 7, 1749, and Aug.
25, 1761. In addition, he served on several town committees to whom important
matters were intrusted. His record clearly indicates that he was a useful citizen, and
was highly respected by his townsmen. He was representative to the General Court for
three years, from 1760 to 1762. Col. Phillips (1725) was a member of Brattle Street
Church, and served some years as deacon.

Feb. 26, 1736, the selectmen voted that "Mr. John Phillips have liberty to set up a
post before his house in Cornhill [now Washington Street], in order to hang a sign
thereupon." He had a book-store, etc., prior to this. His sign, a picture of which is
given in Mr. Drake's History of Boston, p. 566, bore the date, " 1727," at which time,
having completed his apprenticeship, he opened a bookstore on the south side of the
town-house, next to the corner of State and Washington streets, where resided, a century
previous, Capt. Robert Keayne (1637). Mr. Phillips (1725) kept books, writing-paper,
ink, quills, sealing-wax, inkhorns, spectacles, and all sorts of cutlery ware, etc., wholesale
and retail. In 1734, Nathaniel Belknap and John Phillips (1725), "stationers in Corn-
hill," were executors to the will of Mrs. Abigail Belknap, the mother of Nathaniel, and
widow of Joseph Belknap, Jr. (1692). Nicholas Buttolph (1694), father-in-law of Col.
Phillips (1725), was a brother of Abigail Belknap, deceased in 1734.

Col. Phillips (1725) was identified with the military for many years. Enlisting and

John Phillips (1725). Authorities: Boston Records; Whitman's Hist. A. and H. A. Company,
Ed. 1842.



^



422 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ['725-6

serving as a private, he passed through the various grades, becoming captain as early as
1734. June 15, 1762, at a meeting of the selectmen of Boston, "Coll Phillips [1725]



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 61 of 73)