Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) online

. (page 68 of 73)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 68 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


referred to John Fayerweather, Isaac White (1733), Col. John Hill, Col. Wendell (1733),
and Samuel Welles. The above, with Col. WilHam Downe (17 16), were appointed "to
wait upon his Excellency the captain-general, to ask his liberty to view the batteries, and
see what stores and repairs are needed, etc." The committee was authorized to get twelve
additional gun-carriages, to obtain the consent of the captain-general " to do the several
things mentioned," and the sum of six thousand pounds was voted to defray the
expenses. During these months of alarm and of extraordinary expense, Capt. Isaac White
(1733) stands a prominent figure.

William Williams (1733) married Miriam Tyler, Sept. 27, 1733. He was chosen
constable of Boston in 1733, but paid the fine rather than serve, and was scavenger in
1735. William Williams (1733) was one of the original members of the West Church,
organized Jan. 3, 1736-7, "coming from the First Church in Cambridge."

He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1736.

His name does not occur afterwards in Boston Records, and probably he is the
William WiUiams who appears a citizen of Pittsfield, Mass., in 1745. He raised a com-
pany of men among the Berkshire Hills, for Louisburg, but was not permitted to
command them. In June following, more troops were wanted, and Capt. Williams was
called for. In six days he reported to the Governor in Boston, with seventy -four men,
and was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the Eighth Massachusetts Regiment, in the
expedition to Louisburg.

Mr. Williams (1733) graduated at Harvard College in 1729; was judge of probate
and of the Common Pleas Court. In 1747, he was appointed subcommissary. He is
called elsewhere in the records of the Company, "William, Jr. [1733]."

He died in 1784.

" A List of Soldiers under the fine of 1/ per diem.

"William Brattle [1729], Sampson Salter [1729], Samuel Adams [1729], Joshua
Cheever [1732], Edward Bromfield Jun. [1732], Thomas Hubbard [1732], William Rand
[1732], Josiah Carter [1732], Thomas Baker [1732], Caleb Lyman [1732], John Wen-
dell [1733], Ezekiel Cheever [1733], John Endicott [1733], John Carnes [1733], Henry

William Williams (1733). Authorities; ]3ostpn Records; New Eng. Hist, and Gen. Reg.,
1871, p. 261.



'733-4] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 467

Berry [1733]. Thomas Gooding [1733], William Salter [1733], John Grant [1733],
William Williams [1733], Benjamin Clark [1733], John Symmes [1733], James Day
[•733]. Edward Vail [1733], Ephraim Copeland [1733], Samuel Jackson [1733],
Richard Saltonstall [1733], Ebenezer Swan [1733], John Codman [1733], Benjamin
Hallowell [1733], Isaac White [1733], Habijah Savage [1733]."

The record of the Artillery Company for 1733 is as follows : —

" 1733. Memo. April 2. This day being the day appointed by Charter for the
Exercise of the honorable Artillery Company, it proving unseasonable weather, was put
by, according to said Charter, to the friday following and being under arms, the Company
proceeded to vote for a minister to preach the next Artillery Election Sermon, and the
Rev'd Mr. Nathaniel Ap]:)leton of Cambridge was chosen. Voted, that the present com-
mission officers of this Company, with the field officers & Maj. William Brattle [1729]
be a committee to request it of him.

"June 4, 1733. Whereas there is not money sufficient in the Clerk's hands to defray
the necessary charges of the Company ; Voted, that the Clerk of this Company receive
of Col. Thomas Fitch [1700], out of the Company's money in his hands, the sum of
Fifteen pounds. Voted, that the present Commission officers, with those to be now
elected, and the field officers of the Regiment, be a Committee to give the thanks of the
Company to the Rev'd Mr. Nathaniel Appleton for the Sermon preached to them
this day.

"October i. Voted, there be a Committee Chosen to wait on the hon'ble Col.
Thomas Fitch [1700] to receive of him what money he has of this Company's in his hands,
and to give him a discharge for the same. The gentlemen chosen were Capt. William Downe
[1716], Capt. Daniel Henchman [1712], and Capt. Daniel Goffe [1712] ; and they give
to him the thanks of the Company for his good services in said affair ; and that the said
Committee pay the charges of the Company, and make report of their doings at the
training in May next.

"October i, 1733. Voted, that the Commission officers of this Company for the
time being, with the Clerk, shall have full power to excuse any Person that has any
reasonable excuse to make for their non-appearance."

Rev. Nathaniel Appleton,' son of Hon. John Appleton, and grandson of President
Rogers, of Harvard College, delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1733. He was
born at Ipswich, Dec. 9, 1693. He graduated at Harvard College in 1712, and
married, in 1719-20, Margaret, daughter of Rev. Henry Gibbs, of Watertown. Rev. Mr.
Appleton was ordained pastor of the church in Cambridge, Oct. 9, 17 17, and continued
in that office more than sixty-six years. He was a fellow of the Corporation of Harvard
College from 1717 to 1779- In 1771, his alma mater conferred on him the degree of
doctor of divinity, an honor never before bestowed by that college, except on President
Mather, about eighty years previously. Dr. Appleton died Feb. 9, 1784, aged ninety
years and two months.

' Paige's Hist, of Cambridge, p. 482.



468 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ["734-5

The officers elected were: Samuel Sewall (1720), captain; Daniel
J V*^^- ^^ Goffe (1712), lieutenant; John Wendell (1733), ensign. Nathan
' *Ji "^ Cheever (1733) was first sergeant; Benjamin Hallowell (1733), second
sergeant; Thomas Gooding (1733), third sergeant; Joseph Fitch (1733), fourth ser-
geant, and Bartholomew Gedney (1726), clerk.

In 1734, the following committee was chosen to have full charge of the erection of
the proposed fortifications, viz.: "Hon. EHsha Cooke Esq. [1699], Edward Hutch-
inson Esq. [1702], Edward Winslow Esq. [1700], Capt. Jeffery Bedgood, Messrs. John
Checkley, Isaac White [1733] and Ebenezer Thornton [1716]."

June 25, 1734, the petition of William Parkman (1711) and others, for liberty to
lay down ways at the lower end of North Street, for the landing of passengers from
Winnisimmet, and to maintain the same for thirty years, was granted.

The selectmen arranged for a visitation to the schools, June 18, 1734. They invited
five ministers and the following persons : Hon. Adam Winthrop (1692), Edward Hutch-
inson (1702), Joseph Wadsworth, Ezekiel Lewis (1707), Esqs , and Capt. Nathaniel
Cunningham (1720).

Two of the three collectors of taxes chosen Oct. 31, 1734, were members of the
Artillery Company, viz.: William Rand (1732), who gave a bond for nine thousand
seven hundred and ten pounds, and Daniel Pecker (1720), who gave a bond for eight
thousand one hundred pounds.

The erection of markets in the north, middle, and south sections of the town, which
had been successfully opposed for several years, was finally settled in 1734. It was
decided, by a vote of five hundred and seventeen for and three hundred and ninety-nine
against the project, to build them, and the town appropriated seven hundred pounds for
that purpose. This sum was intrusted to a committee chosen March 12, 1733-4, to
" think of, and assign. Three suitable Places for Erecting Markets, the Cost and Charge
thereof, and how to be defrayed ; and make Report." The committee consisted of
Thomas Fitch (1700), Edward Hutchinson (1702), Thomas Palmer (1702), Jacob
Wendell (1733), and Nathaniel Cunningham (1720). The committee was subsequently
enlarged by the addition of James Watson, Francis Willoughby, and John Steel, clerks
of the markets. The three places designated for the markets were, at the North End,
" upon the open space before and about the Old North Meeting-house " ; in the middle
of the town, " on the Town's ground, or open space on the Town dock or wharf, com-
monly called Dock Square," and at the South End, " in Orange Street, over against the
house and land of Mr. Thomas Downe [1733]-"

In 1740, the middle market building having "been Demolished and pulled down,"
the selectmen received a petition from Thomas Palmer (1702), Edward Hutchinson
(1702), and three hundred and forty-one others, to warn a town meeting to see if the
people would accept Mr. Peter Faneuil's offer to "Erect and Build a noble and compleat
Structure " for a market.

The members who joined the Artillery Company in 1 734 were : Matthew Barnard,
John Bennett, John Chandler, Jr., Gear Coffin, Joseph Dwight, Daniel Epes, Jr., Elnathan
Jones, Samuel Pratt, Andrew Symmes, Nathaniel Thayer.

Matthew Barnard (1734), carpenter, of Boston, son of John (1677), and grandson
of Matthew (1660), was born June 17, 1694. He was a constable of Boston in 1733, a

Matthew Barnard (1734). Authority; Boston Records,



'734-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 469

fence-viewer in 1735, and from 1736 to 1744 inclusive was a viewer of shingles and
a measurer of boards and timber. He was third sergeant of the Artillerj' Company
in 1740.

John Bennett (1734), hatter, of Boston, sou of Capt. John Bennett, was born in
Boston, March 31, 1704. He married Mary Young, April 7, 1725. He was elected
scavenger in Boston in 1731, and from 1736 to 1741 inclusive, except 1739, and was
constable in 1743. His father, Capt. John, resided on Orange Street. Ensign John
(1734) was second sergeant of the .\rtillery Company in 1740, and its ensign in 1750.

John Chandler, Jr. (1734), lawyer, of Worcester, son of Hon. John Chandler
(1725), was born in New London, Conn., Oct. 18, 1693. He married, (i) Oct. 23
1 7 16, Hannah Gardiner, of the Isle of Wight. She died Jan. 5, 1738-9, in Worcester,
Mass. He married, (2) Jan. 28, 1739-40, Sarah Clarke, daughter of Timothy Clarke
(1702). John Chandler (1734) was early employed as a surveyor of land. He sur-
veyed the town of Pomfret, Conn., and made a plat thereof which is yet preserved in
the office of the town clerk. At a meeting of the proprietors, April lo, 1718, it was
"voted that John Chandler Jun. [1734] lay out Maj. Fitch's [1700] 1080 [acres]." In
1 7 14, the commissioners employed two surveyors, one of whom was John Chandler
(1734), to run the line between Massachusetts and Connecticut. In 1728, he surveyed
"the land-hill at Tautousq," — four miles square, — granted to John Winthrop, Jr., in
1644 — now Sturbridge, Mass. In 1728, he was appointed and confirmed a coroner for
Suffolk County. When Worcester County was formed he moved to Worcester ; was
moderator of the town meeting there in 1733, and frequently afterwards.

He represented the town of Woodstock in the Legislature of Massachusetts Bay,
and afterward was representative for the town of Worcester from 1732 to 1735, from
1737 to 1740, and from 1742 to 1753, and was town treasurer from 1741 to 1752.
When the courts were established in Worcester County, in 1731, he was appointed clerk
of all the courts there, and held that office until 1754. He was registrar of probate until
1754; registrar of deeds until 1762. On the 19th of April, 1754, John Chandler, Esq.
(1734), was appointed judge of the court, and in May, 1757, became chief-justice.
He was one of the delegates commissioned by Gov. Shirley, in June, 1754, to meet
in Albany, for the purpose of holding an interview with the Indians of the Five Nations
and making them presents, and of concerting measures for a union of all the British-
American colonies. "This was the germ of that congress of the colonies that resulted
in the union of the States, twenty-two years afterwards."

Mr. Lincoln, in his History of Worcester, says of him : " On the decease of his
father he succeeded to the higher offices of judge, colonel, and councillor. His talents
were rather brilliant and showy than solid and profound. With manners highly popular,
he possessed a cheerful and joyous disposition, indulging in jest and hilarity, and exer-
cised liberal hospitality. While judge of probate he kept open table, court days, for the
widows and orphans who were brought to his tribunal by concerns of business."

The Old South Church of Worcester, Mass., owns a communion service, a portion
of which has been in continuous service nearly a hundred and fifty years. It bears the
inscription, "Ye gift of Colonel John Chandler [1734] of ye Church of Christ in
Worcester, 1737."

John Bennett (1734). Authority: Boston Records.



470



HISTORY Of THE ANCIENT ANt) t«!'34-^S



The Boston News-Letter of Aug. 12, 1762, says : —

"Worcester, Aug. lo, 1762. Saturday the 7"' inst departed this life, the Hon. John
Chandler, Esq. [1734], of Worcester, in the 69"' year of his age, eldest son of Hon.
John Chandler [1725], late of Woodstock, deceased. He left a sorrowful widow, two
sons, five daughters and forty-two grandchildren. . . .

" In his youthful days he was employed in Treasury's office in this Province and
in the Secretary's office in Connecticut ; and, being blessed with a sprightly genius, soon
was introduced into public life ; and a great number of years represented the town of
Woodstock at the General Court of the Province. Upon the County of Worcester being
erected, he, at the request and demand of the people of said County, removed from
Woodstock to Worcester, where he was immediately chosen representative of said town
and for a number of years continued such, until he was chosen one of His Majesty's
Council, of which he was one until his death, notwithstanding his repeated desire to
resign. He was the oldest member of the General Court and was always held in high
esteem by both Houses for his capacity, aptness, dispatch and faithfulness for his assist-
ance in public affairs. He was Clerk of the Superior Court and Court of Sessions in said
County until he was appointed one of the Pleas, and was Registrar of Probate until he
was appointed Judge, all of which offices he executed with general approbation."

He resided in Worcester, near the spot where Hon. Edward Earle resided in 1877,
on the east side of Summer Street. His remains were entombed on the Common in
Worcester, where the mortal remains of many of his name and kindred have been
gathered in the same tomb. This cemetery has been abandoned as a place of burial,
and the monuments covered up over each grave, and there remains no sign of it ever
having been a resting-place of the dead, but the handsome monument to Col. Timothy
Bigelow. The tomb of the Chandlers is among the trees, about six rods east-northeast
of the Bigelow monument.

A portrait of Mr. Chandler, by Sraibert, in the possession of Mrs. Franklin Dexter,
of Beverly, Mass., represents him " dressed in single-breasted gray coat, black cuffs and
buttons, powdered wig, white muslin neck-cloth, holding in his left hand a book." Mrs.
Dexter has also a portrait of Mrs. Chandler, by the same artist.^

He was captain of the Artillery Company in 1736.

Gear Coffin (1734), mariner, of Boston, son of Nathaniel and Damaris (Gayer) Coffin,
of Nantucket, was born in Boston, May 24, 1709. His given name. Gear, is probably a
corruption of Gayer, his mother's name. His name, as recorded at Charlestown, is
"Gayer." He married, May 10, 1733, Rebecca Parker.

"Gayer" Coffin (1734) was sworn as a hog-reeve of Boston in 1734, and was
clerk's assistant of the Artillery Company in 1735. He succeeded his brother, William,
as " tavernkeeper " of the " Bunch of Grapes."

Joseph Dwight (1734), lawyer, of Hatfield, son of Henry Dwight, and nephew of
Seth Dwight (1702), of Boston, was born Oct. 16, 1703, and graduated at Harvard
College in 1722. He married, Aug. 11, 1726, Mary Pynchon, daughter of Col. John
Pynchon, of Springfield. Col. Dwight (1734) resided at Cambridge for some years, —
from 1723 to 1731, — where he was engaged in trade ; but afterwards he moved to Brook-
field, Mass., where he practised law for twenty-two years, — from 1731 to 1753, — and

' The foregoing sketch of Col. Chandler C1734) is taken from the admirable work concerning the
Chandler family, by George Chandler, of Worcester (printed for the family). Worcester, 1883.



'73t-5] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 471

was elected eleven times as a representative of the town in the General Court, or to the
council of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay. He was councillor from 1742 to 1746, and
was elected speaker of the House of Representatives, May 31, 1749. In 1752, he
removed to Stockbridge to act as a trustee of "the Indian schools," and remained there
all the time that Rev. Jonathan Edwards was there as a missionary. In 1758, he resided
at Upper Sheffield (Great Barrington), and March 14 of that year was elected a select-
man of the town. Nov. 7, 1759, ^^ was moderator of the parish meeting, and issued
the call to the citizens which resulted in the formation of Great Barrington. Jan. 4,
1753, he was appointed a justice of the Court of Common Pleas for Hampshire County,
and held that office until June 24, 1761, when, on the formation of Berkshire County, he
was transferred to the court of the new county. He held the latter office from 1761 to
1765, or until his decease. He had previously been a judge of the Court of Common
Pleas for Worcester County, having been appointed to that position Oct. 5, 1739, on the
resignation of Hon. John Chandler (1725). He was appointed justice of the peace for
Worcester County, June 30, 1731, and March i, 1743-4; for Hampshire County, Jan. 4,
1753, and for Berkshire County, June 24, 1761.

He was identified with the military, filling the various positions from private to
colonel. Feb. 28, 1744, he was commissioned colonel of the train of artillerj' in the
Louisburg expedition. Feb. 20, 1745,' he was promoted to be brigadier-general by Gov.
Shirley, when on the expedition against Cape Breton. In 1756, he led a brigade of
Massachusetts militia to Lake Champlain, to reduce Ticonderoga, at which time he built
Fort Massachusetts.

" His personal appearance was very fine. He was dignified in his gait and bearing
and had great urbanity in his manners. He was an upright judge and an exemplary pro-
fessor of the religion of his fathers. . . . No man in civil life was more esteemed in the
county. . . . He was a man of singular veracity ; and all who knew him spoke of his
virtues with enthusiasm."

Mrs. Mary (Pynchon) Dwight died March 29, 1751, and Gen. Joseph Dwight
(1734) married, in August, 1752, Mrs. Abigail Sergeant, widow of Rev. John Sergeant,
who had been a devout and successful missionary among the Stockbridge Indians.

Gen. Dwight (1734) died June 19, 1765, aged sixty-two years, having been, at
the age of forty years, in 1743, commander of the Military Company of the Massa-
chusetts Bay.

Daniel Epes, Jr. (1734), son of Daniel and Hannah Epes, was born in Boston,
Nov. 8, 1 7 10. He does not appear to be again mentioned in the records of Boston.
Mr. Whitman (1810) says Daniel Epes, Jr. (1734), was a son of Capt. Daniel (1706).
If so, he was born in Salem, Oct. 28, 1679 ; married, in May, 1704, Hannah Higginson,
and was fifty-five years of age when he joined the Artillery Company. Daniel Epes,
Jr. (1734), was probably a grandson of Hon. Daniel Epes (1706). There were four
persons in Salem and Boston by the name of Daniel Epes, between 1675 and 1711.

Daniel Epes, Jr. (1734), was first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1735.

Elnathan Jones (1734). He was second sergeant of the .Artillery Company
in 1737-

' The Dwight Genealogy, Vol. IL, p. 626, con- called then as now, 'The .\ncient and Honorable

tains this erroneous statement : " In the attack upon Company of Artillery of Boston.' " From that cx-

Louisburgh, in 1 745, he was second in general com- ccUent work the above sketch has been derived,
mand, leading in person the Massachusetts Artillery,



472 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND ['734-5

Samuel Pratt (1734), tanner, son of Thomas and Mary Pratt, was born in Boston,
Jan. 27, 1703. He was hog-reeve at Rumney Marsh (Boston) in 1729, constable in
1731, and fence-viewer in 1736. He was fourth sergeant of the Artillery Company
in 1739, ensign in 1748, and lieutenant in 1753, "during which year," says Mr. Whit-
man (1810), "he probably died."



7^ a



Andrew Symmes (1734), joiner, of Boston, son of Rev. Thomas and Elizabeth 1
(Blowers) Symmes, was born May 20, 1704. His brother, Lieut.-Col. John Symmes,
joined the Artillery Company in 1733. Andrew (1734) was first sergeant of the Artillery
Company in 1741. The only town office he ever held was that of viewer of lumber, to
which he was elected from 1745 to 1769 inclusive, except he was elected constable in
1740. His father. Rev. Thomas, delivered the Artillery election sermon in 1720, and |
his uncle, Rev. Thomas Blowers, of Beverly, in 17 17. )



Nathaniel Thayer (1734), leather-dresser, of Boston, son of Cornelius and Lydia
Thayer, of Boston, was born July 17, 17 10, and married. May 8, 1733, Ruth EHot.
Nathaniel (1734) was a nephew of Zechariah Thayer (1722). He was an officer of the
town in 1737 and 1744, clerk of the market in 1740 and 1747, and constable for eight
years, between 1743 and 1765 ; also, clerk of the Artillery Company in 1739 and 1740,
and first sergeant in 1742. He died Dec. 28, 1768, aged fifty-nine years.

The record of the Artillery Company for 1734 is as follows : —

" 1734, April I. Being under arms, the Company made choice of the Rev'd Mr.
Joshua Gee of Boston to preach the next Artillery Election Sermon, and that the present
commission officers, with the field officers of the regiment and Colo. Edward Hutchin-
son [1702], be a Committee to request it of him.

"May 6. Being under arms. The Committee appointed to acquaint the Rev'd Mr.
Joshua Gee of the choice the Company made of him to preach the next Artillery Elec-
tion Sermon, returned answer, that he desired to be excused for the disadvantages he
then lay under. Upon which the Company made choice of the Rev. Mr. Charles
Chauncy of this Town for that Service, and Voted that the Commission officers of the
Company, with the field officers of this Regiment and Colo. Edward Hutchinson [1702]
be a committee to request it of him.

"That whereas the committee that was chosen in October i, 1733, to receive the
money that was in the hands of the Hon. Colo. Thomas Fitch [1700], being the sum of
;^29. and since paid sundry charges that have arisen in the Company ; and now the
balance being ;,^i8. 5/. Voted, that there be a pair of Dmmms bought for the Company
and that the old charter arms of the Province be portrayed upon em.

"Whereas, Mr. Jeremiah Belknap [1724], one of the Members of this Company,
has given the Company two wolfe-skins for Drum heads. The Company voted him thanks
for the same.

" June 3, 1 734. Voted that the present Commission officers, with those now elected,
and the field officers of the Regiment be a Committee to give the thanks of the Com-
pany to the Rev. Mr. Charles Chauncy of this Town for the Sermon preached to them
this day and to desire a copy thereof for the press."

Samuel Pratt (1734). Authority: Boston Nathaniel Thayer (1734)- Authority:

Records. Boston Records.



'735-6]



HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.



473



Rev. Joshua Gee, who declined to deliver the Artillery election sermon in 1 734,
declined the same invitation in 1729. See page 443.

Rev. Charles Chauncy, who delivered the Artillery sermon in 1734, was born Jan.
I, 1705, being a son of Charles Chauncy (1699). His mother was a daughter of
Hon. John Walley (1671). Charles Chauncy entered Harvard College at the age of
twelve years, and graduated in 1721. In 1727, he became colleague with Mr. Foxcroft,
pastor of the First Church, and he lived to see the independence of the United States
declared. Mr. Chauncy rendered his chief service in the cause of independence in the
learned and able attacks which he made upon episcopacy as it was at that time prac-
tised.' He married, May 9, 1728, Elizabeth Hirst, by whom he had three children, and
died in 1787.



6 The officers elected were: Jacob Wendell (1733), captain; Caleb

, Lyman (1732), lieutenant; Samuel Watts (1733), ensign. Daniel
I \J^ Epes, Jr. (1734), was first sergeant; John Grant (1733), second

sergeant; Henry Berry (1733), third sergeant; William Salter (1733), fourth sergeant;
Bartholomew Gedney (1726), clerk, and Gear Coffin (1734), clerk's assistant.

March 8, 1735-6, Jacob Wendell, Esq. (1733), reported, in behalf of the overseers
of the poor, that it would be a public benefit to divide the town into twelve wards. At
an adjourned meeting the same gentleman reported in detail, giving the proposed
boundaries of each ward. The names heretofore given to the various divisions were



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts. 1637-1888 (Volume 1) → online text (page 68 of 73)