Oliver Ayer Roberts.

History of the Military Company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts, 1637-1888 (Volume 3) online

. (page 18 of 60)
Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military Company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts, 1637-1888 (Volume 3) → online text (page 18 of 60)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


passing through the various grades attained the position of captain.

Joshua Gould (1835), cabinet-maker, of Boston, was ensign of a company in the
Third Regiment, Third Brigade, First Division, M. V. M., in 1825 ; lieutenant in
1828-9; captain in 1830-1, and by long service and regular promotion became, in
1839, the colonel of the Third Regiment.

John Green, Jr. (1835), painter, of Boston, son of John and Deborah (Bird)
Green, was born Dec. 3, 1789, on Elm Street, in Boston. He married, May 23, 181 2,
Eliza Lewis Bird, of Boston. His boyhood was spent in Boston and Roxbury. At the
age of sixteen years he began to learn the trade of painter and glazier, which he pursued
for sixty-one years. For more than fifty years he was located on Washington Street
(south end), corner of Lucas Street.

He was a member of the Massachusetts Mechanic Charitable Association, of the
Masonic Fraternity, Bunker Hill Monument Association, and a fireman and engineer in
the Boston Fire Department. He was a lover of music, and in his early manhood was
connected with the Old South Singing Society, and later with the Boston Musical Insti-
tute. Mr. Green (1835) was "an upright, reliable man, strongly attached to Boston;
affable and cheerful, large-hearted and sympathetic — a God-fearing man, to whose life
and example his descendants point with pride."



122 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND



[•835



Mr. Green (1835) was a member of the "Soul of the Soldiery," and captain of that
company, but his first military experience was as a member of the Roxbury Minute Men,
as assistant quartermaster, in 1812, when that company was held in readiness for about
six weeks, but was not called into active service. He joined the Artillery Company,
July 16, 1835, and was third sergeant of the Company in 1836 and 1841.

Mr. Green (1835) was a member of the common council of Boston in 1835, and
from 1845 to 1848 inclusive, and of the State Legislature in 1847.

He died in Boston, Dec. 24, 1866, aged seventy-seven years and twenty-one days.

George F. Gwinn (1835) was a barber, 10 Elm Street, Boston, in 1835, and for
more than forty years was in business on or near State Street. He spent his earlier
years in Salem. He was a member of the Artillery Company from July 16, 1835, until
his decease, which occurred at Cambridge, April 10, 1881.

Joseph Harrington, Jr. (1835), teacher, of Roxbury, son of Joseph and Rebecca
(Smith) Harrington, was born in Roxbury, Feb. 21, 18 13. He graduated at Harvard
College in 1833. He was in 1834 and 1835 aide to Gen. Bradley (1832), commander of
the First Brigade, First Division. M. V. M., and was continued in that position when
Gen. Bradley (1832) was promoted to be major-general in 1836. He was afterwards a
clergyman at Chicago, 111. Capt. Harrington (1835) was honorably discharged from the
Artillery Company, April 3, 1837.

Jesse F. Jennings (1835), innkeeper, of Boston, in 1830 was the proprietor of the
Elm Street Hotel, No. 9 Elm Street, Boston. He died in 1836.

Fisher A. Kingsbury (1835), lawyer, of Weymouth, son of Hon. Daniel and Miriam
Kingsbury, of Walpole, was born in that town Dec. 8, 1794, and died at Dorchester,
Sept. 26, 1859. The education he received was in the common schools of his native
town. He studied law, was admitted to practice, and opened a law office in Weymouth,
where he resided for several years. In the spring of 1859 he had a violent attack of
paralysis, from which he did not rally, and was removed to the house of his sister in
Dorchester, where he lingered until his decease. He never married. He was active
in the militia for several years, serving as major of the Second Regiment, First Brigade,
First Division, M. V. M,, in 1833, lieutenant-colonel of same in 1834, and colonel from
1835 to 1839.

Edward Lamb (1835), carpenter and builder, of Worcester, was born July 8, 181 1.
He married, June 4, 1832, Catherine Robinson, of Worcester. He was brigade quarter-
master of the First Brigade, Sixth Division, M. V. M., in 1835 and 1836, and captain in
the Worcester Light Infantry in 1850 and 185 1. Capt. Lamb (1835) died in Worcester,
May 8, 1868.

Charles S. Lambert (1835), sailmaker, of Boston, son of John and Margaret
Lambert, was born in Boston, Dec. 15, 1802. He was the first captain of the Highland
Guards ; sixth sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1836, second sergeant in 1839, 1852,
and 1856; adjutant in 1842; fourth sergeant in 1848 and 1850; armorer from 1852 to
1864 inclusive, and quartermaster from 1861 to 1866 inclusive. He retained his member-
ship in the Artillery Company until his decease, which occurred Aug. 21, 1877.



I83S]



HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 23



William S. Lincoln (1835), lawyer, of Worcester, son of Levi (1832) and Penelope
W. (Sever) Lincoln, was born in Worcester, Nov. 21, 181 1. He married, Oct. 22, 1835,
Elizabeth Trumbull, of Worcester. He graduated at Bowdoin College in 1830, and was
admitted to the Worcester County bar in 1833. He practised law in Millbury, Mass.,
and Alton, 111., after which he returned to Worcester. He was one of the attorneys in
the case of the famous Lovejoy tragedy, at Alton. On his settlement in Worcester his
love for rural pursuits led him to engage in farming, which he successfully pursued. He
became a leading agriculturist, and president of the Worcester Agricultural Society.

When quite young he became captain of the Worcester Light Infantry, and in 1833
he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of a regiment in the First Brigade, Sixth
Division, M. V. M. On the organization of the Thirty-fourth Regiment of Massachusetts
Volunteers he was made lieutenant-colonel. On the death of Col. Wells (1859),
Lieut. -Col. Lincoln (1835) was promoted, Oct. 14, 1864, to be colonel. At the battle
of New Market, May 15, 1864, he was wounded, and captured by the enemy. Col.
Lincoln (1835) lay in a rebel prison in Harrisburg, Va., many long and weary weeks.
He finally escaped, and after wandering for seventeen days through the enemy's country
he reached the Union lines in safety. He was discharged by virtue of expiration of
service June 16, 1865, with the brevet rank of brigadier-general. After his return to
Worcester he served as city marshal of that city, and from 1871 to 1879 was a trustee
of the Worcester Lunatic Asylum. At the time of his death he was president of the
Thirty-fourth Regiment Association, and of the Worcester Light Infantry Veteran
Association.

Gen. Lincoln (1835) died Nov. 8, 1889. His funeral obsequies were the most
impressive ever held in Worcester, and were attended by the several military organiza-
tions of which Gen. Lincoln (1835) had been a member, and a great concourse of
citizens. His remains were buried in Rural Cemetery.

Andrew D. McFarland (1835), lawyer, of Worcester, son of William, was born in that
town Nov. 7, 1811, and graduated at Union College in 1832. He studied law with Hon.
John Davis and ex-Gov. Emory Washburn, in Worcester, and commenced practice there
in 1835. He was aide-de-camp to Gov. Davis in 1835, with rank of lieutenant-colonel.

Lieut.-Col. McFarland (1835) died June 23, 1836.

Reuben Moore (1835), merchant, of Concord, son of Capt. Abel and Ruth
(Goodnow) Moore, was born in Sudbury, Oct. 24, 1808. His parents moved to Stow
in 1812, and settled in Concord in 1815. He married, Sept. 7, 1841, Ann Maria Hunt,
of Concord. Capt. Moore (1835) received his education in the public schools of
Concord. In 183 1 he formed a partnership with Capt. Ephraim Merriam, and carried
on the lumber business in Lowell, Mass. In 1836 he disposed of this interest, and
returned to Concord, but in the same year went to Chicago, and entered the law office
of his brother Henry. He continued in the law and real-estate business until January,
1840, when his health failed, and he returned to Concord. In 1846 he opened a store
at North Hartland, Vt, and later at White River Junction, being at the same time
interested in the construction of the railroad from Fitchburg, Mass., to Ogdensburg, N. Y.

William S. Lincoln (1835). Authority: A Memorial of William Sever Lincoln, Colonel of the
Thirty-fourth Massachusetts Infantry, and Brevet Brigadier-General of United States Volunteers, containing
his account of his imprisonment and escape.



124 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [,835

For three years he resided at North Hartland, and then removed to Champlain, N. Y.,
and opened another store. At the latter place he spent the remaining years of his life,
dying there Nov. 18, 1856.

Mr. Moore (1835) was a member of the military company in Concord, and became
its captain. He never held any office in the Artillery Company.

Aurora W. Oldham (1835), yeoman, of Pembroke, son of David, Jr., and Deborah
(Barker) Oldham, was born in that town Jan. 24, 1799. He was colonel of the Second
Regiment, First Brigade, Fifth Division, M. V. M., in 183 1 and 1832; brigadier-general
of the First Brigade, Fifth Division, from 1833 to 1835, anc ' lieutenant of the Artillery
Company in 1836. He was discharged from the Artillery Company, April 29, 1841.

George Page (1835), housewright, of Boston, joined the Artillery Company, Sept.
19, 1825, and rejoined it July 23, 1835. He was honorably discharged Sept. 20, 1841.
See page 40 of this volume.

David S. Paige (1835) was discharged from the Artillery Company, June 2, 1838.

Jonas Parker (1835), painter, of Dedham, was discharged from the Artillery Com-
paijy, March 6, 1839.

William B. Perkins (1835), merchant, of Boston, was born in Bristol, Me., Sept.
28, 1812. He was a dealer in West India goods at 118 Commercial Street. He suc-
ceeded Major Hoppin (1832) as major of a battalion. He was fifth sergeant of the
Artillery Company in 1836 and 1843, adjutant in 1841, and first lieutenant in 1848.

Ziba B. Porter (1835), innkeeper, of Brighton, held the office of lieutenant in the
State militia. He received the orders in Boston Encampment, and became a member
June 20, 1832. Lieut. Porter (1835), proprietor of the Cambridge Cattle Fair Hotel,
died, after a long and lingering illness, July 30, 1864, aged sixty-five years.

Oliver W. Preston (1835), carpenter, of Charlestown, joined the Artillery Company,
Aug. 28, 1831, and was discharged March 31, 1835. He rejoined the Company, July 27,
1835, and was again discharged April 7, 1838. See page 93 of this volume.

George W. Richardson (1835), lawyer, of Worcester, son of John and Hannah
(Bemis) Richardson, was bora in Boston, Oct. 28, 1808. He graduated at Harvard
College in 1825 ; studied law in Worcester with Judge Pliny Merrick, and was admitted
to the Worcester County bar in 1834. He married, Jan. 6, 1836, Lucy D. White. In
1840 he was a lieutenant of the Worcester City Guards, and was commissioned as aide-
de-camp, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel, on the staff of Gov. Davis in 1841. He
was appointed sheriff of Worcester County by Gov. Clifford. Col. Richardson (1835)
held this office from 1855 to 1857. He was mayor of Worcester in 1855, and again
in 1857. At the organization of the City Bank, in Worcester, in 1854, he was elected its
president, and was appointed in 1857, by Gov. Gardner (1855), a bank commissioner of
Massachusetts. He was also elected vice-president of the Five Cents Savings Bank, in
Worcester, in 1861. Col. Richardson (1835) died at St. John, N. B., June 15, 1886.

Henry W. Ridgeway (1835), merchant, 13 Long Wharf, Boston, was discharged
from the Artillery Company, April 8, 1840.



,g 3S ] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 125

Calvin S. Ru9sell (1835), printer, of Boston, was ensign of a company in the
Second Regiment, Third Brigade, First Division, M. V. M., in 1831, and was adjutant of
the First Regiment in that brigade in 1837. He was discharged from the Artillery
Company, June 2, 1838.

Melzar Sampson (1835), of Pembroke and Medford, was brigade quartermaster,
First Brigade, Fifth Division, M. V. M., from 1835 to 1838.

Abijah Thompson (1835), of Woburn, joined the Artillery Company, Sept. 1, 1828,
and was discharged March 7, 1834. He rejoined the Company, May 25, 1835, and was
again discharged May 1, 1837. See page 64 of this volume.

Newell A. Thompson (1835), lawyer, of Boston, son of Willis A. and Armille
(Aldrich) Thompson, was born in Uxbridge, Mass., Dec. 2, 1808. He married, in
1833, Susan S. Wyman, of Boston. At first he was engaged in mills as a "bobbin-boy,"
but at the age of seventeen years was employed as a salesman in a store at Dover, N. H.
In 1829 he came to Boston, and entered the law office of Judge Hurd as a copyist. He
entered upon the study of law, and held this position for seven years, at the end of
which time he associated himself with Francis J. Oliver, as agent of a London banking
house. This agency was withdrawn in 1839, when Mr. Thompson (1835) resumed the
law, filling at the same time the office of secretary of the Whig Republican Association,
and superintendent of the Whig headquarters during the election of 1840. The follow-
ing year he established himself in the auction and commission business, and followed it
until his decease.

For six years he was a member of the school committee of Boston ; served eight
years in the common council, from 1852 to 1854 inclusive; was a member of the House
of Representatives, and in 1857 was elected a member of the executive council of the
State.

His military career began in 1831, when he was a member of the Independent
Corps of Cadets. In 1835 he was ensign of the Boston City Guards; in May, 1838,
adjutant of the battalion of light infantry; aide-de-camp to Gen. Winthrop (1833) in
1838; brigade-major and inspector in 1839; lieutenant-colonel of the First Regiment
of Light Infantry, First Brigade, First Division, M. V. M., in 1840, and was commissioned
by Gov. Davis as brigade-major in 1841. He was captain of the Boston City Guards in
1843, and held the position for several years. In 1854 he was on the staff of Gen. B. F.
Edmands (1833), and in i860 on that of Gov. Banks (1859). In May, 1867, he was
appointed by the secretary of war a member of the board of visitors to West Point.
He was adjutant of the Artillery Company in 1838 and 1847, lieutenant in 1841, and its
captain in 1843. He was noted for his knowledge of tactics and military law, and was
very efficient in improving the militia of the commonwealth.

When the rebellion broke out, in 1861, Col. Thompson (1835) immediately repaired
to the State House, tendered his services to Gov. Andrew, to aid in equipping and
sending off the troops. During the whole of the Rebellion he was active and liberal in
sustaining the volunteer army, and in providing for the comfort of the men and their
families.

He was very prominent in the Masonic Fraternity, of which he became a member
in 1845, an d received the highest degree, the thirty-third, May 2r, 1862.

During his residence of forty-five years in Boston, few men held so large a number



126 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND



[1835



of positions, civil, military, and charitable. He discharged them all with efficiency and
fidelity, winning universal respect. Always kindly and genial, with much of the courtesy
of the olden time in his manner, he attracted all who came near him, and the circle of
his friends was almost as wide as that of his acquaintance. He died at Boston, April
10, 1874. His son, Capt. Newell A. Thompson, joined the Artillery Company in 1879.

Nathaniel Tufts (1835), tinman, of Maiden, served in the State militia and attained
the grade of lieutenant. He was discharged from the Artillery Company, June 2, 1838.

The first meeting of the Artillery Company in 1835 was held on the first Monday
evening in April, when the death of Hon. Benjamin T. Pickman (1819), an honorary
member of the Company, was announced by the commander.

April 6 the commander nominated Rev. John G. Palfrey, D. D., of Harvard Univer-
sity, to preach the next anniversary sermon, and the Company unanimously approved
the choice.

April 27 the Company resolved itself into a committee of the whole, as a caucus, to
select the officers for the ensuing year. Frequent meetings were held in May, 1835, for
drill and business, and the usual arrangements for anniversary day were completed.

On the first Monday in June, one hundred and twenty-three members were in line
to celebrate the one hundred and ninety-seventh anniversary of the Company. The
morning was cloudy. At twelve o'clock m. the Company repaired to the State House
and received Lieut.-Gov. Samuel T. Armstrong (1807) and other guests, who were
escorted to the First Church, in Chauncey Place, where the annual sermon was delivered
by Rev. John G. Palfrey, D. D. After service, dinner was served in Faneuil Hall, one
hundred and eighty members and guests being present. The usual toasts were given
and addresses made, when the Company, with its guests, proceeded to the Common,
where the usual ceremonies were observed.

The following-named gentlemen were elected officers for the ensuing year : Brig.-
Gen. Thomas Davis (1828), captain; Col. Josiah L. C. Amee (1822), first lieutenant;
Capt. Samuel Knower (1833), second lieutenant; Capt. Charles A. Macomber (1833),
adjutant; Capt. James Hunt (1823), Ensign Simon H. Barrett (1832), Capt. John Y.
Champney (1832), Lieut. Francis Allen (1834), William Souther (1834), and Capt.
George VV. Cram (1829), sergeants; Lieut. -Col. Abner Bourne (1812), treasurer; George
H. Whitman (1829), clerk, and Lieut. William S. Baxter (1833), armorer. The officers
elect were inducted into office by the lieutenant-governor, and the Boston Independent
Fusiliers performed guard duty during the day. The day was passed without accident,
and to the satisfaction of all present.

During the summer, furloughs were granted to Lieut. Z. G. Whitman (1810), who
resided in New Hampshire; to Capt. Russell Sturgis (1829), in Canton, China; Col.
Benjamin Loring (1810), in Europe; Capt. T. C. Hollis (1833), in New York; Warren
Davis (1832), Aaron Capen (1828), R. S. Fay (1833), and E. N. Stratton (1828), absent
from the State. Frequent meetings were held in July on account of the proposed tour
of duty to Worcester.

Aug. 3, 1835. The Company met at eight o'clock a. m. for field and camp duty.
There were eighty-four members present in uniform complete : that of the artillery being
white pantaloons, blue or black coat, and cockade. At half past ten o'clock a. m. the
battalion marched to the Worcester Railroad depot with the brigade band. At fifteen




tya*4r^£/^^&^<^&&^~'



,g 3 6] HONORABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY. 1 27

minutes after eleven the train started, weather clear, and the corps in excellent spirits.
The train arrived at Worcester at two o'clock p. m., where the Artillery Company was
received by the Worcester Light Infantry, with the Boston Brass Band, and escorted to
their encampment ground on the hillside back of the Worcester House, and owned by
Gov. Lincoln (1832). The tents were pitched before the rising shower reached the camp.
The Worcester company did the guard duty. All supped at Farnworth's Exchange.
"The night was extremely cold and frosty, but the hearts of the vigilant troop and faithful
sentries were warm and cheerful, and the melody of the midnight serenade swelled in
richest strains." Tuesday the companies marched through the principal streets of
Worcester, drilled, and held dress parade, and a collation was given them at the United
States Hotel by citizens of Worcester. At twelve m. the artillery, under command of
Capt. Winslow Lewis (182 1), fired a salute of twenty-four guns. At half past two tents
were struck; a collation was furnished the visitors by Gov. Lincoln (1832), in his
mansion ; salutes were given, and then the Company marched to the depot and boarded
the cars for Brighton. They arrived there at seven o'clock p. m., and tarried for the night
in the hotel kept by Lieut. Porter (1835). Order reigned that night, "the bass drums
being all muffled, and the wind instruments spiked."

At nine o'clock Wednesday morning the Artillery Company took up the line of
march, passing through Brookline and Roxbury. At the Washington Hotel, a collation
was furnished by the commander, Gen. Thomas Davis (1828). Continuing their march
toward the city, they were met by the "Soul of the Soldiery," who escorted the Artillery
Company through Washington and State streets to their armory. By invitation, Mr.
Blackman, and Thomas Davis, father of the commander, two surviving artillerists of the
Revolution, participated in this tour of duty. The members from Worcester were given
a collation at the Exchange, and the " Soul of the Soldiery " at Concert Hall, after
which, at four o'clock p. m., the Artillery Company was dismissed.

Medals, valued at five dollars each, were procured for the best shots with cannon
and small arms made on the October field-day. Oct. 8 of that month, forty-three mem-
bers of the Company proceeded to South Boston for target practice. Subsequently, the
committee in charge awarded the medal for the best cannon shot to Porter Crosby
(1835), and that for the best musket shot to Col. Amos S. Allen, Jr. (1825).

John G. Palfrey, D. D., delivered the sermon before the Artillery Company in 1835.
He also delivered the Artillery Election sermon in 1822. See page 24 of this volume.



p. , The officers of the Artillery Company elected in 1836 were : Samuel

I O^D. Chandler (1827), captain; Aurora W. Oldham (1835), first lieutenant;
«-^ Francis R. Bigelow (1833), second lieutenant; Abraham P. Pritchard
(1831), adjutant. William Mine (1835) was first sergeant; William S. Baxter (1833),
second sergeant; John Green, Jr. (1835), third sergeant; James Dewire (1831), fourth
sergeant; William B.Perkins (1835), fifth sergeant; Charles S. Lambert (1835), sixth
sergeant; Abner Bourne (1812), treasurer; George H. Whitman (1829), clerk, and
William S. Baxter (1833), armorer.

The members of the Artillery Company recruited in 1836 were : Samuel A. Allen,
Augustus L. Barrett, William C. Barrett, Seth E. Benson, Richard N. Berry, John W.



128 HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND [1836

Boyd, William P. Brown, John P. Caldwell, Andrew Chase, Jr., James H. Collins, Edward
Everett, William G. Fullick, John Gordon, Levi Hawkes, Jr., Wright S. Keyes, William
Mitchell, Jonathan Peirce, Lucas Pond, Edward A. Tappan, James D. Thompson,
Theodore Washburn.

Samuel A. Allen (1836), trader, of Boston, was born in Charlestown, Oct. 5, 1801.
In 1837 he was a store-keeper in the Boston Custom House. He was brigade-major of
the Boston Brigade in 1836 and 1837 ; first sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1837,
and adjutant in 1839. He received the Masonic degrees in Columbia Lodge, A. F. and
A. M., of Boston; was its secretary for eight years (from 1832 to 1839), and in 1840
was elected master of that Lodge, but he declined to accept it. Mr. Allen (1836) was
the author of the humorous and spirited circular in behalf of the Lancers, occasioned
by the riot in 1842.

Augustus L. Barrett (1836), silk-dyer, of Maiden, son of William and Mary (Hall)
Barrett, was born in Maiden, Jan. 31, 1813, and married, July 31, 1845, Helen Maria
Whitman. He was brought up in his father's business, that of silk and woollen dyeing,
and after serving for a time at the works he entered his father's office in Boston as a
clerk. He remained in this position until 1834, when, his father's health failing, he
returned to Maiden. Lieut. Barrett (1836), after the decease of his father, in November,
1834, carried on the business until 1853, when he sold out, but in 1856 resumed the
same business, and has been an employee until the present time. In 1840 he was
elected town clerk, and served two years ; was overseer of the poor four years, and
engineer of the fire department five years.

His military experience began very early in a military company of boys, of which
he was captain. When of suitable age he joined the Washington Guards, of which
Simon H. (1832) and Ensign William C. Barrett (1836) were also members. After
serving one year Lieut. Barrett (1836) became adjutant of the Fifth Regiment, M. V. M.,
Col. Abraham R. Pritchard (1831) commanding, and served five years, being continued
in the same office two years more under Col. Carter. He was then offered the post of
brigade-major and inspector of the Second Brigade, Gen. James Dana commanding, which
he occupied for seven years. He was third sergeant of the Artillery Company in 1838.
About 1836 he joined the Boston Lancers, Capt. Ezra Forristall (1837) commanding;
became adjutant, and served two years, which completed his military career.

William C. Barrett (1836), trader and cordwainer, of South Maiden, now Everett,
son of Capt. William S. and Hannah Barrett, was born in 1803. He married Emeline



Online LibraryOliver Ayer RobertsHistory of the Military Company of the Massachusetts, now called the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts, 1637-1888 (Volume 3) → online text (page 18 of 60)