Anthony Carroll, a sailor of the British Navy, patented land on
Deckers Creek in 1789, but is not known to have himself lived in
Preston. James, his only son, and grandfather of the subject of this
sketch, settled on a farm one mile north of Kingwood in 1790 or 92,
the date apparently being that of his marriage.
James H. Carroll was a son of Hon. William Carroll, who was a
member of the Virginia Legislature in 1834, 35, 36, 39 and 40. He was
born in Preston county, September 2, 1820, and died at his residence
Thursday evening about 6 o'clock November 20, 1890. His funeral
was attended by a large crowd of friends and relatives. The Kingwood
Bar was present in a body as pall bearers.
Mr. Carroll received a good common school education, and in the fall
of 1841, he received an appointment from the Government at the Sac
and Fox Indian Agency and spent the winter in Iowa. He taught
school, was appointed postmaster in Kingwood in 1843, and in 1849
was appointed clerk in the post office at Wheeling under George W.
Clutter, post master. He was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court of his
county in 18512, and was retained in that office until 1863, when he
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
resumed the practice of law. In 1846 he raised a company for the
Mexican War, but the State's quota was full and the Company's
service was not required. He studied law and was admitted to the
bar in 1845. In 1852, at an election in May, Gideon D. Camden was
elected Judge of this Circuit and lawyer Carroll Clerk of the Court,
beating John P. Byrne by one vote. He was re-elected in 1858, In
1870 Mr. Carroll embarked in the newspaper business and founded the
Preston County Herald. In 1877 Henry Clay Hyde having assumed
control changed it into the West Virginia Argus.
Mr. Carroll was married to Miss Josie McKee, daughter of Squire
McKee of Brandonville. She died June i8th, 1906, at the age of fifty.
Two children are the result of this union. The youngest. James William
Carroll, was born August 8, 1883, ^^ Kingwood and educated in the
public schools of his native town, and at the Franklin School, Washing-
ton, D. C. He now holds a position as clerk in the Document Office
in the House of Representatives. Washington, D. C. On June 7, 1904,
he enlisted in Company G, First Infantry of West Virginia, and held
the position of regimental buglar for six years, or until his last year
in the service of that regiment. He is a member of Brown's Lodge,
No. 32, K. of P., of Kingwood and of the Military Department,
640 Preston County, West Virginia
Washington, D. C. His only sister, Mary McKee Carroll, born May
28, 1881, at Kingwood, is now a resident of Washington, D. C, also.
She was educated at Kingwood public school, Miss Bristol's school and
H'ARDM DUVAL CARROLL.
The Carroll family are of English descent, and were early settlers
in West Virginia. Anthony Carroll, born about 1725, the pioneer of
the family in Morgantown, settled first at Annapolis, Maryland. He
was of the same family as Charles Carroll of Carrollton, and lived in
the same town, but the relationship is not known. His emigration to
America took place after he had been released from military duties in
England, because of over age, and his coming here must have been
soon after the French and Indian War and not long before the War of
Independence. Nor could he have remained at Annapolis long, before
his removal to Morgantown, as the Indians were still molesting the
white settlers after his arrival in Monongalia county, on account of
their troubles with the Morgans. Because of those savage raids on the
whites, Mr. Carroll and others moved with their families into the fort
at Granville, and subsequently to Rock Forge, where he died in 1832,
at the advanced age of 107 years.
Anthony Carroll was a soldier in the British navy, and a weaver
by trade. He followed that pursuit while living in the fort at
Granville. Subsequently he purchased the Kerns stone-house farm at
Rock Forge and moved on it. Later he bought a mill of one of the
Morgans at Ufifington. He also built a mill at Dellslow and operated
both mills and the farm for several years.
Anthony Carroll was a remarkable man. When 96 years old he
walked from Morgantown to Kingwood one day, and walked back a
few days later. He was married four times. His first wife was a
Miss Donaway, whom he married in England. Two children came
of this union, James and Mary. Mary, an ancestor of Hon. William
Gorden Worley, married William Gordon and moved to Ohio. His
second wife died not long after marriage, leaving no children. His
third wife was a Miss Rose Hall. By her he had one daughter, Mar-
garet, who married Godfrey Guseman of Morgantown. His fourth
wife was a Mrs. Walls. No issue from this marriage.
H. D. CARROLL
Preston County, West Virginia 641
James Carroll, the grandfather of Hon. James H. Carroll whose sketch
follows this one and great-grandfather of Hardin Duval Carroll of this
sketch, was born at Annapolis, Maryland, May lo, 1771, but spent his
early life in the fort at Granville and on the farm at Rock Forge. In
1792, he married Sarah VanKirk, a young Scotch woman, and moved
into a cabin in the woods near Kingwood, on a 400 acre tract of land,
which had been patented by his father.
His children were: (i) Anthony, (2) William, father of Mrs. Peter
R. Smith and Honorable James H. Carroll of Kingwood. (3) Mary,
who married Solomon Herndon, one time hotel proprietor of Kingwood.
(4) James, father of Alfred Carroll of Kingwood.
Anthony Carroll, 2nd, was born March 20, 1793, and was married
twice. His first wife was Sarah Minor, and by her he had one child,
James M. His second wife was Temperance Alley, who bore him
eight children: (i) Eugene, (2) Mary, who married Dr. William Hern-
don; (3) Col. John S. P., who commanded the 14th Virginia Infantry;
(4) Lucinda, (5) Katherine, who married Dr. J. C. Kemble ; (6)
Margaret, (7&8) two younger, who died in early life. He bought a
200 acre tract of land upon which there was a cabin and a clearing of
James Dent and lived there between the years 1829 and 1856. This
farm is about three miles northeast of Masontown, and belongs now to
H. D. Carroll.
James M. Carroll, born October 29, 1815, was one of the prominent
men of Preston county. He attended school several years in the
Kingwood Academy, when Nicholson was principal, and, subsequently,
attended the Academy at Morgantown. His earlier years were spent
with his grandfather, but, about 1830, he returned home and there
remained in active life until his death. He was public spirited and filled
several positions of honor and trust, was constable over 20 years; first
lieutenant of the 148th Regiment of the Virginia Militia, commission
dating from May i, 1858; was a member of the Board of Education,
for which position he was well qualiified by education and experience.
His wife, Mrs. Elizabeth, daughter of William and Miss Harriet
Reed Burke, bore him nine children. Their names are Sarah, Louise,
Mary, Martha, Catherine. Joanna. John, Paul and Hardin Duval, the
youngest, and now the only one living. Sarah is the mother of
Edward C. Everly, clerk of the county court; Louise married Oliver
Dunn of Morgantown. The others died young. He died January 27,
1906, in his ninety-first vear.
642 Preston County, West Vibgenu
Hardin Duval Carroll was born where he lives now, near Mason-
town, February i6, 1863. He received a good education, having taken
the degree of B. S. of Agriculture from the University of Morgan-
town, and a course in Veterinary Science. When seventeen years
old he began teaching and followed that profession almost continuously
twenty-three years. His degree, Bachelor of Science, was obtained
in 1905. He superintended the schools at Masontown three years, and
as an agriculturalist held farmers' institutes and lectured. Beside
superintending the farm and veterinary practice, he is connected wath
the Civil Service in the Post Office Department and finds time to write
for several agricultural papers and report to the U. S. Agricultural
On November 7, 1888, he married Elma, daughter of Joseph
and Eleanor Herring and sister to George A. Herring of Kingwood.
Their children : (a) Allen K., born April 10, 1896, is now taking a
course in agriculture at Morgantown University; (b) Paul, born March
17. 1893; (c) Ruth, born April 16, 1895; (^) Myra, born May 7, 1900;
(e) Helen, born April 29, 1904.
The family are members of the Methodist Church.
ZAR BEER BOWER.
The subject of this sketch is a successful farmer living near Glade
Farms. He is a descendant of Philip Beerbower, who came with his
parents to this country from Germany, landing in the city of New
York. (See sketch of the Beerbower family.) Philip Beerbower went
to York county, Pennsylvania, and in 1808, moved with his family to
the Glade Farms settlement, where he raised a family of five children.
Of these children, Philip, Jr., remained at home to care for his parents,
the others all going to Ohio, where many of their descendants still
live. After the death of his father, Philip moved to Pennsylvania, but
only staid there a short time. He returned to Preston county and
took up his final abode where Zar Beerbower now lives.
Only one of the brothers who went to Ohio had found a wife in
Preston county. This was Jacob, who took away Elizabeth, daughter
of Jesse Spurgeon, Sr. His son, Dr. Jesse Beerbower, born in Ohio,
September 18, 1829, was a graduate of Jefferson College and also of th^
Keokuk Medical College. There being an opening at Bruceton for a
7 :■. TiivV vgRK
Preston County, West Virginia 643
physician, he located there in 1856. During the Civil War he was
assistant surgeon of the Third Maryland Infantry, and died at Mobile,
Alabama, whither he had gone for his health in 1865. Philip, Jr., was
born in 1799, and died in 1873. His wife, Lydia Kdly, was one year
younger than himself, and survived him ten years. Their children
were fourteen. George S., the oldest of the family, was twice married,
first to Catherine, daughter of Archibald DeBerry. They had three
children : Allen, William and Delia. He was next married to Sarah
Laub. They had seven children, three died in infancy, those living
are: Martha, Emma, Lloyd and Charles. Harry married Ann Mitchell.
They had four children. John died in infancy, the three living are
Silas, William and Zadie. Henry C. married Jane Mitchell. Their
children are : Ella, Gertrude, Clara and Orval. Hannah became the
wife of Henry Beatty. They had one daughter, Ella. Phoebe mar-
ried Henry Sliger. Their only son is now dead. Martha married Thomas
Beatty. Elizabeth married Adam Sliger, and had three children :
Laura, Philip and Thomas. Nancy married James DeBerry. They
had two children, Allen and Camden. Zar married, of whom mention
will again be made. James, the remaining brother, married Mary
Fearer. Their children were: Frank, dead; Robert, Fred, Ross, dead;
Jacob B., died in 1907. He married Elizabeth Barnard and they are the
parents of William, who lives at Rockville, Pennsylvania, and Forest,
who lives in Uniontown. Pennsylvania. The other of Philip's children
died while young. The surviving children of Philip are Zar, Harry,
Henry and Hannah.
Zar Beerbower, son of Philip and Lydia (Kelly) Beerbower, was
born November 10, 1848. His wife Alice, daughter of Jesse and
Minerva (Robinson) Spurgeon, whom he married January 16, 1883, was
born June 20, 1856. She is a granddaughter of Jesse and Catherine
('Spahr) Spurgeon, who took up their residence at Glade Farms, in
the earlier history of Preston county. Their son, Jesse, was born there
on April i, 1827, and died there February 28, 1908. His wife was
born November 14, 1832. They had three children, one dying in infancy.
Lucian Spurgeon married a Miss Kimble, and is now living in Union-
town, Pennsylvania. Mae lives at Greensburg, Pennsylvania, still single.
Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Zar Beerbower: Jesse,
born January 16, 1884; Ernest, March 9, 1885; Augusta, August 16,
1887; Isa, February 16, 1898. After marriage, Mr. Beerbower moved
to the farm he now owns and lives on, and built his present com-
modious residence in 1908. The farm consists of three hundred acres
644 Preston County, West Virginia
of land, all tillable, and of the best quality. Mr. Beerbower also deals
in fertilizers and live stock. The family are in possesision of com-
fortable incomes to live on, are quiet unostentatious people, are
Lutherans, but not in any other way affiliated with clubs or societies,
political or otherwise. Their daughter, Augusta, married William
Mitchell, July 2, 1910. They have one child named Barrel.
MRS. MIABEL RESSEGGER.
The Beerbower Family are numerous and prominent. They are of
German descent, and are of the blonde type a characteristic trait of
the more ancient Germans who lived in prehistoric times, found in
the barrow graves of Southern Europe, originally of the Rokitno bury-
ing grounds, where Albinism developed. The American family, liv-
ing in West Virginia and in Pennsylvania, are descendants of Philip
Beerbower, son of a German emigrant, who came from the city of
Rotterdam in 1732. Philip Beerbower, Jr., died at the Glade
Farms in 1871. His father had moved there from New York in 1808.
He married Lydia Kelley. She died in 1872. George S., their oldest
son, lived near Glade Farms. He was a good farmer, and a well known
Christian gentleman. His wife was Catherine DeBerry, daughter of
Archibald and Mary (Hazlet) De Berry, whose history can be found
in another part of this work. Their children were: William, a minister
in the Evangelical Lutheran Church. He was educated in Salem, Va.,
married Mary Marshall, of that place, in October of 1882, and by her
had one child, Clyde W. He was pastor of the Brandonville circuit
when he died in 1885. (2) Allen, the second son, married Rachael
Chopson, and is the father of three boys : Paul and Ralph are both super-
intendents of coal and coking plants for the H. C. Frick Co. at Fair-
chance and Connelsville, Pa. ; Bert, the youngest of the family, is at
Lydia Beerbower was born August 28, 1856. In 1882, she married
Milton Robinson, an educated and practical farmer who had moved
from his farm near Glade Farms twenty-four years ago to Terra Alta,
where he died February 8, 1906. He was a devout Christian gentle-
man. Their children were: (i) Russell, who was killed on the rail-
road by accident when nineteen years old ; (2) Mabel Blanche, born
October 9, 1890, married to Mr. Oscar E. Ressegger, a graduate of the
commercial department of West Virginia Wesleyan College at Buck-
hannon, and died on March 27, 1912. The Resseggers are educated
Preston County, West Virginia 645
people. Mrs. Ressegger graduated from the Terra Alta High School
when sixteen years of age, and would have graduated from her Alma
Mater in June, 1912, had she continued her studies there three months
longer. Mr. Ressegger is at this time building a residence on his farm
Mrs. Ressegger's mother, Mrs. Robinson, married the second time.
Her husband is William Henry Ringer, a well-to-do farmer near Terra
Alta. He is the son of John Ringer, a veteran soldier of the late Civil
War and a farmer near Lenox. Mr, W. H. Ringer was born in 1847.
He was formerly a devout member of the Lutheran Church, but now
worships with his family with the Methodist people.
OHARLBS W. BEERBOW-ER.
The history of the Beerbower family in America dates to the year
1752, so far as we have been able to trace the lineage.
Sep^tember 26, 1752, a ship, "William and Mary," set sail from
Rotterdam, Holland; master, John Moore.
It was one of a fleet conveying German and Dutch Hollanders to
the then new world, America.
On ship were two brothers Casper and Philip Bierbauer, with a
younger sister, who died on the voyage and was buried at sea.
Casper Bierbauer settled in York county. Pa., where he took out
naturalization papers in 1777.
Among his descendants are some very notable characters. Possibly
the best k'nown was the late Vincent Beerbower, member of the State
Legislature of Nebraska, and later Lieutenant Governor of Idaho.
The late Austin Bierbower, LL. D., lawyer, author and philosopher,
whose name you will find in "Who's Who in America," was also a
descendant of this brother.
Philip, Sr., settled on the Conewago Creek, York county. Pa., and
was the father of seven children: Philip, Jr., Peter, Frederick, John,
Jacob, Susan and Sarah. Of these only Philip, Jr., remained in Vir-
ginia, the others emigrating to Ohio, Indiana and other western states.
Philip, Jr., is the ancestor of all the families bearing the name
Beerbower in West Virginia and western Pennsylvania. He was born
in 1799 and died April 18, 1872.
646 Preston County, West Virginia
The Beerbower homestead at Glade Farms, West Virginia, was near
the site of old Fort Morris.
The subject of this sketch, Charles W. Beerbower, was born June
29, 1872. His father, George Stough, the oldest of the family of
Philip, Jr., born November 22, 1820, died July 19, 1879, leaving a widow
and five children : Martha, Mary, Charles W., Emma and Lloyd George.
It was largely due to the good management of the mother, and the
oldest sister, Martha, and some help from the late Rev. W. D. Beer-
bower, then a student at Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia, that the
family were kept together and that true home spirit was developed
that ever afterwards was a characteristic of the children, and especially
of the subject of this sketch.
Charles W. left home at the age of nine years, and from that time
on was carving his own way in the world, spending his boyhood days
on Muddy Creek and then at Glade Farms until he was nineteen years
old, — working on farms, and attending the public schools in the winter
At the age of nineteen he left the familiar scenes of his boyhood
days, and the recollections of the stories told him of old Fort Morris
and the settlement of his great-grandfather, and took up the life of a
colporteur and lecturer on "Pilgrim's Progress."
After spending one summer with the Bunyan's Pilgrim Band in the
famous Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, he returned to Preston and took
a term in the Terra Alta Summer Normal and secured a teacher's cer-
tificate, teaching his first term at the Falkenstine School, Grant district.
Following lecturing and colporteur work in the summer months and
teaching in the winter season gave him a varied experience.
In 1893 he was one of a party of four who were sent to the Co-
lumbian Exposition, Chicago, 111., by John C. Winston Co. of Phila-
delphia. After teaching a term in the public school at Bruceton, West
Virginia, he again joined the Pilgrim Band in Washington, D. C, and
traveled with Prof. McGrew until he organized "The Pilgrim
Travelers" at Boonesboro, Md., August 2"], 1895. He was lecturer,
Prof. Martell Morrison, vocalist, and W. H. Thornton, manager. In
this capacity he traveled all over southern Pennsylvania, Maryland,
Virginia and West Virginia, giving in all over 300 lectures. Attending
the seminary at Buckhannon, W. Va., in the spring term, 1899, and
teaching a term at Masontown, W. Va., he abandoned the lecture work
and entered the role of clerk in the mercantile firm of Lakin & Offut,
Rowlesburg. W. Va.
DK. L. GEORGE BEERBOWER.
T^F l^LVf YOKK
Preston County, West Virginia 647
September 19, 1900, he married Delia S. Thomas, daughter of
William and Martha Thomas of Elliottsville, Pa., whose ancestors go
back to the Brandenburgs of Germany.
Locating at Terra Alta and teaching one term in the public schools
of Kingwood, he then accepted a position with the Union Supply Co.
as clerk, but was soon promoted to manager, and which position he
now holds at Monarch store, one of the best of the chain of 63 stores of
the Steel Corporation.
He is a member of the Leiseuring Presbyterian church and of Gen.
Worth Lodge, L O. O. F., Connellsville, Pa.
'His family sonsists of his wife, Delia, and two daughters, Evangeline
Lucile and Eleanor Beatrice.
He is interested in all matters pertaining to the betterment of the
laboring classes and is a firm believer in the abolition of the liquor
traffic as the greatest benefit that we can bestow upon the American
people to help them to a better plane of living.
He is now engaged with James Bierbower of Lampasas, Texas, in
compiling a book entitled "The House of Bierbower," being a history
of all the different families bearing the name.
He conceived the idea of the Bierbower reunions, of which the first
was held at Glade Farms, August 24, 1912, and at which over 500
people were present.
LLOYD GEORGE BEERBOWER.
In the northeast angle of Preston is a smooth expanse of farm land.
The landscape is attractive and interesting. Here was the site of old
Fort Morris, and here linger memories of the early days of settlement
as well as of the palmy era of the once famous National Road. To this
inviting neighborhood there came in the opening years of the last
century, Philip Beerbower, a farmer of York county, Pennsylvania. He
was a son of Philip Bierbauer, who, with a brother Casper, same from
Germany in 1752. Philip, Jr., spent the remaining years of his life in
his Preston home and is buried at Glade Farms. But all his children
save one listened to the "call of the West" and removed to the still
more inviting soil of Ohio. A third Philip, after the death of his parent,
reconsidered his determination to join his brothers beyond the great
stream which the French explorers so aptly termed the "Beautiful
648 Preston County, West Virginia
River." He lived and died on a farm which is only a half-hour's walk
from the early home. From his thirteen sons and daughters are derived
the Beerbower connection of this county.
George S., the oldest of the children of the third Philip, had for his
first wife Catharine DeBerry, and for his second, Saloma Laub. He
was born November 22, 1820, and died July 19, 1879. Catharine
DeBerry was born April 8, 1818, and died March 18, 1857. His children
were the following: (i) William D. Beerbower, born November 9, 1852,
died July 7, 1884 (a Lutheran minister); (2) Silas, dead; (3) Allen
Beerbower, born April 3, 1853, married Rachel Chopson ; (4) Lydia
Beerbower, born August 28, 1856, married Milton Robinson. George
Beerbower married Saloma Laub, who was born March 24, 1840, died
January 19, 1896 — children: (i) Ida Bell, born June 3, 1862, died
February, 1872; (2) Martha J., born April 2, 1864, married J. Allen
Reckard; (3) Jonathan Camden, born July 4, 1865, died August 7, 1877;
(4) Mary, born May 27, 1871, died December 6, 1887, buried near Brad-
dock, Pa., Grave 12, Range i, Division i; (5) Charles W., born June
29, 1872, married Delia Thomas; (6) Emma Alice, born March 3, 1874,
married T. L. Gribble ; (7) Lloyd George, born June 2, 1877, married
The somewhat early death of the father left the household, and par-
ticularly its younger members, in circumstances far from easy. The
remarriage of the widow proved most sadly unfortunate. It is due
fundamentally to the care and training of a Christian mother that the
subject of our sketch has achieved his success in life. Much also is due
to an older sister, Mrs. Martha Reckard. She was untiring in her
eflforts to help her mother and the younger children. Yet with no
home peculiarly their own, with no moneyed inheritance to look forward
to, with but meager school training in the early years of youth, but
with the commendable determination to "make good," the boys,
Charles W. and Lloyd G, proceeded to carve out a career for them-
selves. We mention the two brothers in the same connection, since
they are not far apart in age and were associated a long while in com-
mon activities. What is still more to the point, each has achieved a
very gratifying degree of success.
As we have just observed, the brothers did not appear in the world
with a spoon in the mouth that was either silver or gold. Yet they
were endowed with health and strength, with the willingness to work,
and with that power of steady application which is a characteristic of
the German strain. Their progress was sure, even if it did not come
Preston County, West Virginia 649
with that speed which ofttimes is so detrimental to personal character.
Lloyd George Beerbower was born June 2, 1877, at which time his
parents were living in the adjoining county of Fayette, in Pennsylvania.