Oscar Jewell Harvey.

A history of Wilkes-Barré, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania : from its first beginnings to the present time, including chapters of newly-discovered early Wyoming Valley history, together with many biographical sketches and much genealogical material (Volume v.5) online

. (page 35 of 104)
Online LibraryOscar Jewell HarveyA history of Wilkes-Barré, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania : from its first beginnings to the present time, including chapters of newly-discovered early Wyoming Valley history, together with many biographical sketches and much genealogical material (Volume v.5) → online text (page 35 of 104)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is devout in its serv-
ice, and ready in contributions to charitable and kindred
worthy causes, regardless of their sponsorship, race or
creed. During the World War, Mr. Hess participated
in the activities of various boards and committees in
charge of the prosecution of the war from within this
country, and, as banker, was in a position to contribute
a substantial support to the several Liberty Loan cam-
paigns. In 1917, Mr. Hess was appointed by the Fed-
eral Reserve Board as Liberty Loan chairman for the
counties of Carbon, Luzerne. Bradford, and part of
Wyoming County, and devoted practicallv his entire time
to the various loan drives until the close of the war.
Of him it is said by those who know him well, that
he is a patriot, as a citizen a valuable asset to country.
State and community, and as a man honorable in every
way.

On May 31, 1904, Charles Frederick Hess was united
in marriage with May A. Graves, of Scranton, daughter
of George Graves of that city. To this happy union
were born seven children: i. Amelia, a teacher in the
public schools of Kingston, Pennsylvania. 2. Ruth, who
is the wife of Harris A. Long, the latter connected with
the Lehigh and Wyoming Valley Coal Company of Du-
pont, Pennsylvania. They have one child, Isabel Ruth
Long. 3. Robert G., a student in the Lehigh Univer-
sity. 4. Charles F., a student in the State College of
Kingston. 5. Henry E., in high school. 6. Elizabeth.
7- George, in school. Mrs. Hess owns a fine character,
and is greatly endeared to a large number of persons
for her charm and refinement, and for the care that
she devotes to her children's well-being.



DOUGLAS BUNTING— To members of the engi-
neering profession is due much of the progress that has
been achieved in this country, especially along indus-
trial lines, for the skill of mechanical and chemical engi-
neer has advanced civilization at a rapid rate enabling
rnen through mechanical invention to achieve in a short
time what was formerly done only by slow processes.
As a Cornell man who carried his engineering skill into
the Pennsylvania coal fields, the late Douglas Bunting,
of Wilkes-Barre, achieved a success which gave him
an enviable place among alumni of that institution who
are doing big things. He was one of the foremost men
in the coal industry in Pennsylvania, holding the posi-
tion of vice-president and general manager of the Lehigh
and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company, and that of a director
of the Wyoming National Bank of the same city, and also
a director of the Morris Run and Lehigh and Wilkes-
Barre Coal Mining companies. His interest in all move~
ments of a progressive nature undertaken for the benefit
of Wilkes-Barre was always sincere and into .^uch
he put the enthusiasm that inspires others to take part
in the affairs of civic betterment. He was a descendant
of the best of early American pioneer stock, coming
from families whose names on the pages of the early
history of this country record deeds of heroism and
valor as they took part in the trying times of the
Revolutionary War and the founding of the Republic
of the United States of America.

The Bunting family traces its origin to Anthony Bun-
ting, of Matlack, Derbyshire, England, whose wife was
named Ellen Their son, Samuel Bunting, came to this
country in 1678 and settled at Cross-we-sung, now Cross-
wicks Creek, New Jersey, near Burlington. The land
and the reconstructed homestead of this pioneer are still
in possession of members of the family. This Samuel
Bunting was a minister in the Society of Friends
(Quakers), and an early Philadelphia minute shows that



he was approved by the founders of that city. In 1684,
he married Mary Foulke, daughter of Thomas Fbulke,
one of the commissioners sent from England by William
Penn to negotiate with the Indians for their lands in
West New Jersey. The descent from Samuel and Mary
(Foulke) Bunting to Douglas Bunting was through their
son, John Bunting, who was born at Crosswicks, New
Jersey, in 1685, and married Alice Lord Nicholson, widow
of George Nicholson, Mrs. Nicholson having been a
minister in the Society of Friends; their son, Samuel
Bunting, born at Crosswicks in 1724, died in 1767, had
married, in 1762, Elsther Syng, daughter of Philip and
Elizabeth (Warner) Syng. Philip Syng was a com-
missioner of Pennsylvania under John Penn and a close
friend of Benjamin Franklin and was treasurer of the
city of Philadelphia for a decade; their son, Philip Syng
Bunting, was born at Philadelphia in 1763 and died there
September 6, 1826, a recommended minister of the So-
ciety of Friends, who married, in 1788, Elizabeth Tomp-
kins ; their son, Joshua Bunting, was born at Philadel-
phia, December 15, 1797, and died there March 30, 1850.
He was a merchant and married Henrietta Barron Wade,
of Elizabeth, New Jersey ; their son. Dr. Thomas
Crowell Bunting, born at Philadelphia, November 7,
1832, died in East Mauch Chunk, December 24, 1895,
where he had successfully practiced medicine for more
than thirty years, being a physician of the homeopathic
school. He married, June I, 1869, Elizabeth Crelland
Douglas, daughter of Andrew Almerin and Mary Ann
(Leisenring) Etouglas, of Mauch Chunk. They had five
children: i. Douglas, of whom further. 2. Mary Doug-
las, married George B. Home, of Mauch Chunk. 3.
Laura Whitney, married James S. Heberling, of Reding-
ton. 4. Henrietta Wade, who married J. Irwin Blake-
lee, of Mauch Chunk. 5. Wade. Mrs. Elizabeth Crel-
land (Etouglas) Bunting was a descendant of the Doug-
las family who came from Scotland to this country in
1800. Her father was a cousin to the noted statesman,
Stephen A. Douglas who was the vigorous contestant of
Abraham Lincoln in political debates as well as for
office. In the upholding of the characteristics of his
ancestors for patriotism in the finer things that make
for the greatness of community or country, Douglas
Bunting was conspicuous, and his life reflected credit
on his parents. Dr. Thomas Crowell and Elizabeth Crel-
land (Douglas) Bunting.

Douglas Buntiijg was born at East Mauch Chunk,
Pennsylvania, March 17, 1870. He was educated at the
public schools of Mauch Chunk, the Bethlehem Pre-
paratory School and the Spring Garden Institute of
Philadelphia. After this preparatory work he entered"
Cornell University, at Ithaca, where he was a student
in the school of engineering, and in 1894, he graduated
from there with the degree of Mechanical Engineer. He
immediately entered upon the practice of his profession
and in the autumn of 1894, he entered the employ of
the Mount Jessup Coal Company, at Scranton, where
he remained for a short time only, and then on Novem-
ber I, of the same year, he removed to Wilkes-Barre,
and in 1899, he was advanced to the position of me-
chanical engineer of the Wilkes-Barre Coal Company.
His efficiency and the record of his admirable achieve-
ment was so splendid that on October i, 1903, he was
promoted to the position of chief engineer and from that
time on, his executive ability being recognized, he was
continuously promoted until he filled the office of vice-
president and general manager.

Mr. Bunting was a member of the Chi Phi college
fraternity which he joined when a student at Cornell
University and he always took an active part in its alumni
activities, which are chiefly carried on through the Cor-
nell Club of New York City of which he was a member.
He was a member of the American Institute of Mining
Engineers, the American Society of Mechanical Engi-
neers, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Na-
tional Engineering Society, the Wyoming Valley His-
torical and Geological Society, the Westmoreland Club,
the Wyoming Valley Country Club, the Hazelton Qub,
and the Republican party. He attended the First Pres-
byterian Onirch of Wilkes-Barre.

At Scranton, Pennsylvania, on January 2, 1901, Doug-
las Bunting married Helen Romayne Seybolt, one of five
children of Calvin and Helen (White) Seybolt, of Scran-
ton. Mr. and Mrs. Bunting had one daughter, Elizabeth
Douglas Bunting. Mr. Bunting died on December 15,
1927. At the time of his death he was one of the lead-
ing men in the coal industry in the Wyoming Valley,
and a man generally beloved for his genial disposition
and modest charities. His place in the community was
that of an exemplary citizen, his business acumen was



1





c^^^z~



193



without question, his clear understanding of values mde
his advice desirable on questions pertaming to public
welfare He was devoted to his friends and to his
family and in every act proved himself a citizen of
the highest type. His death is a great loss to this
community in all the lines and social circles where he
moved with such dignity and where he at all times com-
manded such respect. No man here has ever been held
in greater honor.

SAMUEL McCRACKEN— A prominent character in
the banking and financial world of the Wyoming Valley
is Samuel McCracken, vice-president of the Miners' Bank
of Wilkes-Barre. He was born November 12, 1876, m
Scranton, Pennsylvania, son of l^eroy and Charlotte
(Little) McCracken, both of whom are now deceased.
The McCracken family traces its descent from Scotch-
Irish stock in America, and the name first appears on
the early tax records of Northampton County, Pennsyl-
vania. Leroy and Charlotte (Little) McCracken be-
came the parents of eight children : John Wesley, Archi-
bald, Jennie, Samuel, of whom further; Hattie, now
deceased. Sallie, Elizabeth, snd Leroy, now deceased.

Samuel McCracken, third son and fourth child ot
Leroy and Charlotte (Little) McCracken, was reared in
Scranton, and received his education in the district schools
of that community. At sixteen years of age he went to
work, as a messenger boy for the Traders National
Bank of Scranton, where he remained for more than
eleven years. Then, in 1903, he was appointed treasurer
of the Union Savings Bank and Trust Company of
Pittston, Luzerne County. Mr. McCracken remained
with this well known institution until 1907, when he
resigned to become assistant cashier of the Peoples' Bank
of Wilkes-Barre, later becoming cashier. In 1915, the
Peoples* Bank was merged with the Miners' Bank of
Wilkes-Barre, one of the largest financial institutions in
Eastern Pennsylvania. Mr. McCracken continued as
cashier of the Miners' Bank after the merger, and served
thus until 1922, when he was promoted to the vice-pres-
idency, an office which he is now filling. He also is a
director of this bank and holds a similar position with
the board of the Lehigh Valley Coal Company. A self-
made man and an active worker, Mr. McCracken is con-
sidered one of the substantial citizens of Wilkes-Barre.

Mr. McCracken has always found time in which to
take a helpful interest in the civic and general affairs
of his community. In his political views he is a Repub-
lican, and he stands behind any movement designed for
the benefit of Wilkes-Barre. He has been active in
welfare work, and is now a director of the Wilkes-Barre
branch of the Young Men's Christian Association. He
is also a member of the Westmoreland Club, and is a
valued worker in church and religious circles.

Samuel McCracken married, June 4, 1902, Phoebe
Englert, of Dunmore, Pennsylvania, daughter of George
and Siddie (Van Buskirk) Englert. Mr. and Mrs. Mc-
Cracken became the parents of three children : i. George
Englert, a graduate of Princeton University; now an
instructor in Greek and Latin at Lafayette College,
Easton, Pennsylvarria. 2. Elizabeth J., who resides at
home. 3. Samuel McCrScken, Jr., who died in child-
hood. Mr. McCracken and his family maintain their
principal residence in Wilkes-Barre, in which community
they attend the Central Methodist Episcopal Church, of
which Mr. McCracken is a trustee.



EDMUND EVAN JONES, a member of the well-
known law firm of Bedford, Jones, McGuigan & Waller,
whose offices are at No. 832 in the Miners' Bank Build-
ing, Wilkes-Barre, was born on September 12, 1870, at
Coaldale, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, a son of
David E. and Elizabeth (Gwilliam) Jones, Iwth of \vhom
are now deceased. David E. Jones was a native of Wales,
in the British Isles, but he came to this country with his
parents when he was still but a four weeks old infant.
His father was Evan E. Jones, who became the father
of and reared to maturity a large and prosperous family.
By his marriage to Elizabeth Gwilliam, David E. Jones
became the father of six children : Edmund Evan, of
whom further ; Mary, who is now deceased : Sarah ;
William, who held the degree of Doctor of Medicine, and
who was a successful physician up until the time of his
death ; Severus G.. of Tamaqua, Pennsylvania ; and
Franklin.

Edmund E. Jones, the first son and first child of
David E. and Elizabeth (Gwilliam) Jones, received his
early education in the public schools of the community
in which he was born and reared, Coaldale. He then
studied and mastered telegraphy, later being employed



as a telegraph operator for the Lehigh Valley Railroad.
After some years at this work he resigned to become
associated with the Shelden Axle and Spring Company.
He later became an expert stenographer, opening a pub-
lic stenographic office in Wilkes-Barre. During this satne
period of time he also undertook the study of the law
under the competent preceptorship of the late Thomas
H. Atherton. So well did he succeed that in the year
1896 he was admitted to practice at the Luzerne County
Bar. Immediately after his admission, he prepared him-
self by private study for college, and in the fall of that
same year he enrolled as a student at Princeton Univer-
sity, and graduated from there with the class of 1900.
when he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. After
the completion of these courses of study he at once re-
turned to Wilkes-Barre and there began the practice of
his profession as a lawyer. This has unquestionably
proved to be the right field for Mr. Jones' talents, and he
is today considered one of the outstanding men at the
Bar of Luzerne County. Not only is he a member of one
of the most prominent legal firms in Wilkes-Barre, as
above stated, but he is also a director of the Morris
Run Coal Mining Company, and Wyoming Valley Build-
ing and Loan Association.

Mr. Jones is particularly noted for the keen interest he
has shown in the political and general affairs of his
city and his county. He has, indeed, taken much of his
own time to serve the people of his community in other
than a private capacity. In his political preferences he
is strongly inclined toward the Republican party, and
as such he served for more than six years as secretary
of the Wilkes-Barre Park Commission; and he served
for a like period, six years, as assistant district attorney
for Luzerne County. During the World War Mr. Jones
served as a "Four-Minute" speaker; was active in Red
Cross and Liberty Loan Drives, and a member of the
Draft Board. He has been equally active in his club and
social life, for he is now affiliated, fraternally, with the
Wilkes-Barre Lodge, No. 61, Free and Accepted Masons,
the Shekinah Chapter, No. 182, Royal Arch Masons, the
Dieu le Veut Commandery, No. 45, Knights Templar, the
Irem Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine of Wilkes-Barre; the Sons of Liberty
Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; and fie is a
member of the Westmoreland Qub : the Wyoming Valle}»
Country Club: the Irem Country Club, and Nassau Qub
of Princeton, New Jersey. For twenty-one years he was
the secretary and treasurer of the Wyoming Valley
Country Club, and for two years he was its president,
also for three years, secretary and treasurer of West-
moreland Club.

Edmund E. Jones married, April 22, 1908, Bertha von
Kolnitz, of Charleston, South Carolina, a daughter of
Crtorge F. and Mary (Wayne) von Kolnitz. both de-
ceased. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are the parents of one child,
a daughter : Esther Trezevant. who is now a student at
Vassar College. Mrs. Jones is also active in the social
life of Wilkes-Barre. and she now holds membership in
Charleston chapter of both the Daughters of the Ameri-
can Revolution and the E>aughters of the Confederacy
Mr. Jones and his family maintain their residence in
Wiikes-Barre. in which community they attend the St.
Stephens Episcopal Church.

G(EORGE) MURRAY ROAT— Continuing a busi-
ness established by his father many years ago and con-
ducting it to ever increasing prosperity. G(eorge) Murray
Roat. of Kingston, has reached a high place in the com-
mercial activities of the region and in the esteem of his
fellow-citizens. Knowing him from boyhood and watch-
ing his career through the years, the electorate of the city
has given him its whole hearted approval by choosing
him to hold its highest elective office. He takes a great
iride in the growth of Kingston, in its many industries
and in the administration of its official affairs. The
respect in which he is held is only equalled by the staunch
friendships he has made, through his honesty of purpose
and his fidelity to trust.

G. Murrav Roat was born in Kingston, February 29,
1864 His father was Andrew Jackson, and his mother
Mary (Gabriel) Roat, both natives of Luzerne County
and members of one of its oldest and most respected
families. Andrew Jackson Roat was born in 1834 and
learned and followed the trade of blacksmith for many
vears Staiting on a broader career, he established the
A. I. Roat Supply Company, in Kingston, which became
the leading hardware and mine supply company in North-
east Pennsylvania. It was Andrew Jackson Roat who
imported the first ton of iron into Kingston, bringing
it here from Philadelphia, before the railroads had come



194



to this district, by way of the old Pennsylvania canal.
For many years he was one of the leading merchants
and citizens of Luzerne County, a staunch Democrat and
a supporter of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His
death occurred February 13, 1913. There were three
children : Harry, Edward and Murray. Murray re-
ceived his education in the Kingston public schools and
at the Wyoming Seminary, at Kingston. Upon his grad-
uation, he entered into association with his father, toge-
ther with his two brothers, remaining until 1924, when,
after more than forty years of unceasing work, he sold
out and retired. He chose the Republican party as his
political faith and the Methodist Episcopal Church for
his religion. In 1925 he was elected burgess of King-
ston for four years. He is president of the Merchants'
and Miners' Bank, of Luzerne, a thriving financial insti-
tution. He served for six years as a member of the
Kingston School Board and for more than forty years
has been one of the active and leading citizens of the city
and county.

Mr. Roat married Blanche Stroud, of Dallas, Luzerne
County, daughter of Barney Stroud and a descendant of
Colonel Jacob Stroud, founder of Stroudsburg, Penn-
sylvania. They are the parents of one child, Gertrude
Marion, who is the wife of Ira G. Hartman, of Wilkes-
Barre, prominent in real estate there. Their children,
grandchildren of George Murray Roat, are Murray Roat,
and Ira George Hartman.



CHARLES NOYES LOVELAND— The family of
the surname Loveland of the Wyoming Valley of wliich
Charles Noyes Loveland, well known member of the
Luzerne County Bar, is a member, was founded in
.\merica by Thomas Loveland, who settled in Wethers-
field, now Glastonbury, Connecticut, previous to 1670;
and from him the line of descent is traced to John, 1683-
1750, to John, 1710-51, and to Joseph, 1747, of whom the
last was first to visit Pennsylvania. He came twice to
the Wyoming- Valley in search of a home, once before
the Revolution and once afterward. Because of the un-
certainty of the land titles granted by the Susquehanna
Land Company, he refrained from purchase of a home-
site, however, and returned to Connecticut. On one of
his visits to this State he was a participant in several
of the skirmishes so frequent between the Pennsylvanians
and the Yankees, and every instinct of his nature impelled
him to take up arms with the latter. For a time he
lived in New Hampshire and in Vermont, and while in
the former State enlisted in Colonel Jonathan Chase's
regiment to reinforce the Continental Army at Ticon-
deroga and other points in the Champlain Valley. There
were many Lovelands who served during the Revolution,
from beginning to end of the war. Joseph Loveland
married, November 12, 1772, Mercy Bigelow, and thev
had thirteen children, of whom two sons, William and
Elijah, came to the Wyoming Valley.

Elijah Loveland, the eighth child, was born in Nor-
wich. Vermont, February 5, 1788, and with his brother,
in 1812, settled in Kingston, Pennsylvania. He was a
farmer, broom corn grower and broom maker, distiller
of peppermint and other essences which he sold to
apothecaries, and manufacturer of bricks; no man in
the township was more industrious or more resourceful
than Elijah, and he achieved a fair competence. He
thought seriously of joining the tide of emigration to
the West but reconsidered and purchased a farm of fifty
acres instead. He was the first elder of the Kingston
Presbyterian Church. Elijah Loveland married, in Kin;?-
ston, in 181 5, Mary Buckingham, a descendant in the
seventh generation of Thomas Buckingham, the Puritan,
who arrived in Boston, June 26, 1637, from England,
and also a descendant of Rev. Thomas Buckingham, one
of the founders of Vale College. This union resulted in
the birth of six children, and of these George Love-
land was the third son, of whom further.

George Loveland was a native of Kingston, born No-
vember 5, 1823; was a senior member of the Bar of
Luzerne County; retired during the first decade of the
twentieth century, and died in Wilkes-Barre, June 12,
1910. He acquired his preparatory education in the
Dana Academy, and matriculated in Lafayette College.
After leaving college he taught school alx)u't three years,
then read law in the offices of General E. W. Sturde-
vant; he was admitted to practice his profession in 1848,
and for half a century was closely identified with '.he
professional life of Wilkes-Barre. As counsellor in office
he attained to an enviable reputation, and sought to
prevent litigation rather than to promote it. In his
intercourse with clients he was thoughtful and conserva-
tive; his counsel was always preceded by mature delib-



eration, and, as a result, his conclusions were found to
be correct almost invariably. He proved himself a use-
ful citizen, a conscientious lawyer, a faithful friend, and
an honest Christian. He was made an elder of the Pres-
byterian Church while in Kingston, and continued to fill
that office after his removal to Wilkes-Barre. For many
years he was a director of the First National Bank of
Wilkes-Barre, and a memlier of the Wyoming Historical
and Geological Society. In Lyme, Connecticut, Septem-
ber 29, 1869, George Loveland married Julia Lord Noyes,
a native of Lyme, born September 23, 1833, died in
Wilkes-Barre, June 18, 1885. Mrs. Loveland was a
daughter of Daniel R. and Phoebe (Griffin) Lord Noyes.
Her father, a son of Colonel Thomas Noyes, of Westerly,
Rhode Island, was bom there October 3, 1754, and died
September 19, 1819. Thomas Noyes served as colonel
in the Revolution, at White Plains, Long Island, Trenton,
Valley Forge, and, it is thought, at Germantown ; he
was representative to the General Assembly, a senator for
twenty years, and president of a bank. His father was
Captain John Noyes, owner of Stony Point, and Captain
John was a son of Rev/ John, who graduated from Har-
vard University in 1656, and was one of the founders of
Yale College. Rev. John was a son o{ Rev. John Noyes
of Newbury, Massachusetts, who came with his brother
Nicholas from England to locate in New. England, in
Newbury, in 1634. George and Julia Lord (Noyes)
Loveland were the parents of three children : I. George,
lx>rn October 25, 1 87 1, died November 30, the same
year. 2. Charles Noyes, of whom forward. 3. Jose-
phine Noyes, born November 5, 1874.

Charles Noyes Loveland, second son of George and
Julia Lord (Noyes) Loveland and of the sixth genera-
tion from I'homas Loveland, founder of the family in
.\mcrica, was born in Wilkes-Barre November 26, I.872.
He received his preparatory education in the public
schools of his native city and in the Harry Hillman
Academy, thereafter matriculating in Yale College, New
Haven, Connecticut, whence he graduated with the degree
of Bachelor of Arts, in the class of 1894. He returned



Online LibraryOscar Jewell HarveyA history of Wilkes-Barré, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania : from its first beginnings to the present time, including chapters of newly-discovered early Wyoming Valley history, together with many biographical sketches and much genealogical material (Volume v.5) → online text (page 35 of 104)