Patrick Lyon Strathmore.

The book of record, a diary written by Patrick first earl of Strathmore and other documents relating to Glamis castle, 1684-1689 online

. (page 18 of 22)
Online LibraryPatrick Lyon StrathmoreThe book of record, a diary written by Patrick first earl of Strathmore and other documents relating to Glamis castle, 1684-1689 → online text (page 18 of 22)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


engaged in the restoration of Holy rood Palace. After Bain
gave up the contract, the Earl seems to have determined to
employ Andrew Wright, who was then a mere rural joiner in
the town of Glamis, and with him he made a current agree-
ment. So far as can be judged from the accounts preserved at
Glamis, Wright had carried on very extensive work for the
Earl, and on very easy terms. He undertook all the wright
and plaster work for the restoring of Glamis Castle, and his
charges were paid principally in kind. For the first portion of
work he was to be paid ' 300 lib. Scots, and eight bolls beare,
with as much meall, and his own dyet."* This arrangement
suited the Earl well enough whilst residing at the Castle, but
was rather inconvenient when the charge for diet had to be
paid as board wages. Accordingly, on one of the accounts
rendered by Andrew Wright, the Earl makes the following
memorandum : —

' The said Andrew must remember that tho"* his dyet when
the famely is here is not so senceble, yet it is the same thing as
when he is boorded, which is very sencehle to the said Earl
when he payed it yesterday, and ought to be more considerat
by the said Andrew.''

The next payment of 1000 merks is accompanied by the
memorandum : — ' From this day and date no dyet,"" There are
several of Andrew Wright's accounts still preserved at Glamis
Castle, and the Earl's jottings upon them are rather amusing.
In 1685 he had been employed to fix curtains at Glamis Castle,
and had charged his time for doing so. Against this entry the
Earl placed the following note : —

' Imprimis^ for puting up hingings — nothings in regard
Andrew Wright should give me something for learning him to
be an appolsterer.'

He had been employed at the alterations which the Earl
made at Glamis Church, and to which he refers in the text,
and in his account he had charged for the rectifying of one of
his own blunders. His Lordship marks on the account oppo-
site this entry : — ' Because he made the reeder's seat wrongs it
is just to give him nothing for making it right?



NOTES 157

In his dealings with Andrew Wright, Lord Strathmore
showed that uprightness of conduct which was one of his dis-
tinguishing characteristics. Recognising this workman as a
capable and deserving man, he put him in possession of the
farm in Longforgan called the Byreflat, allowing him to pay
up the price of it by his work at Glamis and at Castle Lyon.
At a later date Andrew Wright wished to exchange this farm
in the Carse of Gowrie for the lands of Easter and Wester
Rochilhill, and accordingly, on 22d January 1689, Lord Strath-
more agreed to exchange the one place for the other — that is,
to allow the value of Byreflat, which Andrew Wright had
paid, as part payment of the lands of Rochilhill. The balance
against Andrew Wright, which amounted to c£'7,333, 6s. 8d.,
was to be allowed to lie over and cleared off by work done at
Glamis or Castle Lyon. On 15th March 1689, the charter
of Rochilhill, which was to be thenceforth called Wrightfield,
was delivered to Andrew Wright, and he gave up his claim on
the Byreflat at Longforgan. The new name does not seem to
have survived the decease of Andrew Wright, as the place is
now known by its original designation of Rochilhill.

^^ William Balvaird. Page 55.

William Balvaird was the second son of John Balvaird,
minister of Kirkden, and was born in 1655. He studied at St.
Leonard's College, and took his degree on 23d July 1672. He
was recommended for licence on 14th September 1676, and
became chaplain to the Earl of Strathmore, having special
charge of superintending the education of his second son,
Patrick Lyon of Auchterhouse, who was killed at the battle of
Sheriff muir in 1715. In 1684, as the entries on pages 55 and
73 show, he was sent to Aberdeen with his young charge.
He was presented to the parish of Kirkden in 1685, when his
father, John Balvaird, was translated to Glamis, and he re-
mained in that position until his death in April 1710.

^* Earl of Northesque. Page 58.

David, second Earl of Northesk, was the son of Sir John
Carnegie, who was created Earl of Ethie in 1639, and ex-



158 GLAMIS PAPERS

changed his title, in 1662, for that of Earl of Northesk. His
mother was Magdalene, daughter of Sir James Halyburton of
Pitcur, and his youngest sister was the mother of John Graham
of Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee. David, Earl of Northesk,
was served heir of his father in April 1667, and was married to
Lady Jean Maule (see Note 53, page 149), eldest daughter of
the first Earl of Panmure, and therefore aunt by the mother"'s
side of the Earl of Strathmore. His death took place at Errol
on 12th December 1679, and the following extract from the
Records of the Presbytery of Dundee relating to the burial
shows how highly he was esteemed in that burgh : — ' Dundee,
14 Jany. 1680. This day, while the exercisor was in his gown,
going to the pulpit, the Earl of Northesk^s corps were handed
and lifting, and the canons shutting, and the body of the towne
attending the corps, and the ministers invited to the burial,
and the corps to be deposited in the church for the night, therfor
it was thought expedient to surrcease the exercise this day."*



65 \\



Scugal^ Lord Whyt Kirke. Page 58.

John Scougal was the son of Sir John Scougal of that Ilk, and
brother-german of Patrick Scougal, D.D., Bishop of Aberdeen.
The date of his admission to the Faculty of Advocates is not
recorded, and his name first appears as an Ordinary Lord of
Session in the Act of Parliament, 5th April 1661, where he is
nominated as one of the fifteen Senators of the College of
Justice, in the letter sent by Charles ii., and dated 13th
February 1661. He must have been knighted previous to
1663, as he is described in the Commission for the Restoration
of Kirks and Valuations of Teinds, of date 11th September in
that year, as ' Sir John Skougall of Whitekirk.' He died in
January 1672, and it is recorded that he was honoured at his
interment, on the 7th of that month, by the attendance of the
judges, accompanied by the advocates and writers in mourning,
and having their maces carried before them. On 11th Novem-
ber 1674, Patrick, Bishop of Aberdeen, was retoured as heir
of Sir John Scougal of Whitekirk in certain lands at the
harbour of Newhaven, together with the office of Bailie of that
harbour {Inquis. Spec.^ Edin. 1213). In Brunton and Haig's



NOTES 159

Senators of the College oj Justice^ page 464, it is stated that
James Scougal, Lord Whitehill, was the son of John Scougal,
Lord Whitekirk, but this is an error, as from the Retours
(Inquis. Gen., No. 7855) under date 22d June 1697, Sir James
Scougal of Whitehill, one of the Senators of the College of
Justice, is retoured as heir of Sir John Scougal of Whitekirk,
his father'*s brother (Pafrui).

66 Dr. Gleig. Page 59.

Thomas Gleig was the son of Magister James Gleig, at one
time a Regent in St. Salvator^s College, St. Andrews, but after-
wards for many years master of the Grammar School of
Dundee, who was described in the Town Council minutes of
his time as ' ane native bairne of the burgh." James Gleig was
an eminent Latin scholar, and several of his poems in that
language have been preserved. He was master of the Grammar
School for forty-three years, and during this long period the
Town Council of Dundee repeatedly made gifts of sums of
money to him as tokens of their approbation. In the Council
minutes, under date 9th August 1636, it is recorded that the
members ' knawing he is of present intention to put Thomas
his eldest son to the college, of quhom they have good hopes
that he may in progress of time prove profitable to the
commonweill,' they would 'freely grant his son ane hundred
pounds yearly during his abode in the Philosophy College in
St. Andrews." The anticipations of the councillors in this
instance were fully realized, for Thomas Gleig rose to be one
of the foremost medical men of the time. He was associated
with the proposal, in 1633, for the foundation of a Royal
College of Physicians in Edinburgh, and was regarded as a
Latinist of very great ability. On 7th February 1657 his
name was entered on the Burgess-Roll of Dundee, with which
burgh his ancestors had been connected for several generations.
In 1649, Thomas Gleig had been third master of St. Salvator's
College, where for some time previous he had been Professor
of Physic. He professed to have ' endeavoured with faithful-
ness and painfulness the education of such youths as were
entrusted to his charge in the sciences therein taught, and



160 GLAMIS PAPERS

wes careful, so far as in him lay, to have them bred in the
principles of loyaltie and dew obedience to the King^s
Majestie.^ For this reason he became obnoxious to the
Presbyterian party, to whom the visiting of the Universities
was then committed, and as he had been active in promoting
the 'Engagement' of 1648, he was violently thrust from his
position, and forced to leave his wife and family, and fly to a
foreign land to escape the malice of his enemies. After the
Restoration he applied to the Estates of Parliament, and a
special Act was passed on 9th May 1661, appointing that
' the whole dues and fies belonging to his Charge since he was
put from the same in the year 1649, shall be payed vnto him
And that he have als good right therto as if he had served."*
The date of his death has not been discovered. Amongst the
Sibbald mss. in the Advocates' Library, there is a Latin poem
by Dr. Gleig upon Sir George Mackenzie of Rosehaugh, which
is as follows : —

' D. Georgius Mackenzie, Eques de Rosehaugh.

' Pingere vis qua fronte Cato titubante Senatu
Asseruit Patriae jura verenda suae.

' Pingere vis Magnus quo TuUius ore solebat
Dirigere attoniti linquam animamque fori.

^Pingere vis quanta Maro maj estate canebat,
Et quali tetigit pollice Flaccus Ebur.

' Pinge Mackenzeum pictor_, namque altera non est.
Quae referant tantos una tabella vivos. '



^ James Bower. Page 60.

James Bower was a member of the important Forfarshire
family who held extensive properties both on the Glamis
estate and its immediate neighbourhood. They were pro-
prietors of Kincaldrum, Kinettles, Methie, and Innerichtie,
and were for many years prominent members of the munici-
pality of Dundee. James Bower entered the Town Council of
Dundee in 1684, and continued in office for the suceeding six
years. Archibald Bower, the well-known author of the His-
tory of the Popes, belonged to this notable family.



NOTES 161

^^ Alexander fforester of MilThill. Page 61.

Magister Alexander Forrester of Millhill, Advocate, was
the elder son of David Forrester, minister of Longforgan, and
the first of the Forresters of Millhill. He was born in 1666,
and was made proprietor of the estate during his father's life-
time. Millhill lies to the north-east of Rossie Priory, and was
at that time included in the estate of Castle Lyon, which
belonged to the Earl of Strathmore. This portion of the
estate, as well as the adjoining property of the Knap, referred
to in the text, was afterwards acquired by Lord Kinnaird, and
now forms a portion of the estate of Rossie. The Forresters,
previous to the time of the minister of Longforgan, had held
important civic offices in Dundee, James Forrester, ancestor of
Alexander, having been frequently Provost of that burgh in
the closing years of the sixteenth century, and other members
of the family having held conspicuous public positions. Alex-
ander Forrester of Millhill died in 1715, and what has been a
magnificent marble tombstone was erected, over his grave in
the Howff, Dundee, by his sisters, and bears the following
inscription ; —

' H\c requiescit quod mortalefuit M. Alex. Forrester de Miln-
hill qualis fuerit qui scire velit haec pro verissimis accipiat pietate
in Deum caritate in patriam comitate in amicos et henevolentia
in omnes eximiam Juisse virtutes que has eruditione multifaria
cumulavisse quo minus autem haec satis ducerent in causa fuisse
modestiam longe nimiam Mortem obijt mense Oct. 1715, aetatis
49. Jussu et impensis Marthae et Magdalenae Forrester
sororum ejus hie memcyram extructum est hoc monumentum.''

The inscription is now almost illegible. On the lower por-
tion of the stone another inscription relates that Alexander
Forrester's brother, John Forrester, succeeded to him, as he
had died unmarried. In 1810, the Right Rev. John Strachan,
Bishop of Brechin, caused the adjoining stone, which marked
the tomb of the ancestor of Alexander Forrester, to be revised,
and placed an inscription upon it declaring that Mrs. Helen
Forrester, who died 10th April 1788, was the last survivor
of the family of Forrester of that Ilk.



162 GLAMIS PAPERS

^^ Sir Thomas Stewart ofGarntilly. Page 62.

Sir Thomas Steuart of GrandtuUy was the eldest son of Sir
William Steuart, Gentleman of the Bedchamber to James vi.,
and of Agnes MoncriefF, daughter of Sir John Moncrieff of that
Ilk. He was born in 1608, and was knighted by Charles i. at
the Coronation in Holyrood in 1633. He represented Perth-
shire in the Convention of 1665-67. By his marriage with
Grizell, daughter of Sir Alexander Menzies of Weem, he had
one son, John, and seven daughters. Sir Thomas died on 10th
August 1688, in the eightieth year of his age. He was suc-
ceeded by his only son, John, who died in 1720 unmarried,
when the estate became the property of Sir George, grandson
of Henry, a younger brother of Sir Thomas.

^^ Drummond present Provost qf'Ederf. Page 63.

Sir George Drummond was the third son of James Drum-
mond, Laird of Milnab, Perthshire, and of Marion, daughter
of Anthony Murray of Dollerie. He was Provost of Edin-
burgh in 1683 and 1684, at which time he was knighted. It
was to Provost Drummond that Sir Robert Sibbald dedicated
his book entitled Hortus Medicus Edinburgensis, in which he
gave a description of the plants in the public garden known
as the Physic Garden, Edinburgh. Whilst he was in the Pro-
vostship. Sir George became bankrupt, and was forced to take
refuge from his creditors in the sanctuary at Holyrood, but
was released through the favour of the Earl of Perth, and
afterwards represented Edinburgh in the Parliament of 1685-6.
He was married, first to Elizabeth Hay of Monckton, and
secondly to Helen, daughter of Sir William Gray of Pitten-
drum, whose brother was married to Anne, Mistress of Gray.
Sir George Drummond must not be confounded with Provost
George Drummond (born 1683, died 1776), who had a much
more distinguished career during the eighteenth century.

'^^ Bailie James Man. Page 63.
James Man belonged to a notable Dundee family, and was



NOTES 16^

the son of John Man, merchant, who was frequently BaiHe in
that burgh. The name of James Man is enrolled amongst the
Burgesses of Dundee under date 5th December 1671, and he is
there described as a merchant. He began his municipal career
as Treasurer in 1675, and from that time till 1691 he was
almost continuously a Bailie.



72 Earl of Perth. Page Q5.

James Drummond, fourth Earl of Perth, was the son of
James, third Earl of Perth, and of Lady Anne Gordon, eldest
daughter of the second Marquess of Huntly. He was born in
1648, and studied at the University of St. Andrews, completing
his education in France, where he remained till he came of age.
On 18th January 1670, he was married to Lady Jane Douglas,
daughter of William, first Marquess of Douglas, and this alli-
ance greatly increased his power in Scotland. Having succeeded
to the earldom in 1675, he was made a member of the Privy
Council by Charles ii. in 1678, and adhered to the party of the
Duke of Lauderdale. On the fall of that nobleman, he was
appointed Lord Justice-General on 1st May 1682, and was
admitted an Extraordinary Lord of Session on 16th November
of that year. When the Earl of Aberdeen resigned the Great
Seal in 1684, the Earl of Perth was preferred to the post of
Lord High Chancellor of Scotland, and remained in this office
till the death of Charles ii. When James vii. ascended the
throne, it was anticipated that those of the Romish Church
would be likely to find favour with the King, and the Earl of
Perth, though he had frequently expressed disapproval of some
of the doctrines of the Church of Rome, suddenly declared
himself a convert to that creed. An interesting account of his
feelings at this time will be found in Sir Robert Sibbald's
Autobiography, which was published by James Maidment in
the first volume of his Analecta Scotica. Whether dictated by
policy or the result of conviction, the EarFs change of religion
exercised an important influence upon his after life. The Earl
was continued as Lord High Chancellor, and the administra-
tion of the affairs in Scotland was placed in his hands. Though
his attempt to procure the repeal of the penal statutes against



164 GLAMIS PAPERS

the Roman Catholics proved abortive, he still retained the con-
fidence of the King, but his conduct prepared for him a severe
retribution after the abdication of James ii. The mob in
Edinburgh rose against him, and he was forced to fly for
safety to France. He took shipping in the Firth of Forth,
but having been recognised, he was followed and captured by
a few Fifeshire seamen, and was ultimately imprisoned in
Stirling Castle. To this incident Lord Strathmore refers on
page 95 of the Book oj Record in these terms : —

' Behold the uncertainty of this world and of all humane
affairs. The E. of Perth, L. Chancellor, from being the first
minister of State, is now a prisoner in the Castle of Stirline,
And his doers glad to convoy away the best of his goods, and
dispose of them privatly."*

In Stirling Castle he remained a prisoner for four years, and
in 1693 he was banished. Passing through Holland and Ger-
many he reached Rome, where he remained for some time, but
was at length summoned to the court of King James, who
appointed him governor to his son, afterwards known as the
Pretender. The exiled King conferred numerous honours upon
him, creating him Duke of Perth — a title which was never
recognised in the Scottish Peerage. He died at Paris on the
11th May 1716, and was interred in the chapel of the Scots
College in that city.



73



Sir George Mackenzie of Tarhet. Page 65.



Sir George Mackenzie of Tarbat was the elder son of Sir
John Mackenzie, Bart., of Tarbat, and of Margaret, daughter
of Sir George Erskine of Innerteil. He was born in 1630, and
succeeded to the estate on the death of his father in 1654. At
this period strong efforts were being made to place Charles ii.
upon the throne, and Sir George, ambitious to distinguish him-
self in the Royalist cause, obtained permission from the King
to raise forces in the north for this purpose. He served under
Oeneral Middleton, father-in-law of Lord Strathmore, and
with his aid the contest with the Cromwellian party was
maintained for twelve months, and ultimately concluded by
an honourable capitulation. When the Earl of Middleton



NOTES 165

was sent as Royal Commissioner to Scotland after the Restora-
tion, Sir George Mackenzie became his chief confidant and
most trusted adviser. He was appointed a Lord of Session on
13th February 1661 by the warrant of Charles ii. which re-
established the College of Justice. It is asserted that it was
by his advice that the Earl of Middleton introduced the Re-
cissory Acts, by which the country was deprived of the liberty
that had been gained since 1633. It was also through his in-
fluence that the Billeting Act, which brought about Middle-
ton's downfall, was introduced, and Sir George was involved in
the catastrophe which overwhelmed his patron. The Duke of
Lauderdale rose to the supreme place in Scottish affairs, and
Sir George Mackenzie was deprived of his seat on the Bench
on 16th February 1664. For fifteen years after this date he
remained in obscurity, but at length he succeeded in obtaining
the forgiveness and favour of Lauderdale. He was appointed
Lord Justice General on 16th October 1678, and was sworn a
Privy Councillor in the following month. In October 1681 he
was the successor of Sir Archibald Primrose in the office of
Lord Clerk Register, and was restored to his place on the
Bench in November of that year. From that time until the
Revolution he had full control of Scottish affairs, and was
created Viscount of Tarbat on 15th February 1685, on the
occasion of the accession of James vii. It was in consequence
of his acute proposal to disband the militia in 1688, that the
Revolution was accomplished without bloodshed. The new
King, William iii., had not sufficient faith in him to replace
him in his high position, and he was not restored to his office
of Lord Clerk Register until 1692. This post he retained
until 1696, at which time he resigned it and retired with a
pension.

The accession of Queen Anne again brought Lord Tarbat
into notice. On 1st January 1703, he was created Earl of
Cromartie and made one of the principal Secretaries of State.
He was now advanced in years, and unable to overtake the
duties of this onerous office. In the following year he resigned
it, and was restored to his former place as Lord Justice
General, in which post he remained until 1710. His Parlia-
mentary career was a distinguished one. He represented Ross-



166 GLAMIS PAPERS

shire in the Parliaments and Conventions of 1661-63, 1678,
and 1681-82, and afterwards took his seat in virtue of his
various offices. He was a strong advocate, both with voice and
pen, of the union of the Parliaments, and lived to witness its
accomplishment. He died at New Tarbat on 27th August
1714, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. An obelisk, fifty-
seven feet in height, was erected by him on an artificial mound
near the parish church of Dingwall, to mark the place which
he had chosen for his grave. Lord Cromartie was twice mar-
ried. His first wife was Anne, daughter of Sir James Sinclair
of Mey, Bart., who became the mother of John, second Earl
of Cromartie, Sir Kenneth Mackenzie of Grandvale, and Sir
James Mackenzie, Lord Royston of Session. The Earl was
married, secondly, in 1700, when he had reached his seventieth
year, to Margaret, Countess of Wemyss, widow of Lord Burnt-
island, whom he survived nine years. This ill-assorted union
gave rise to the following Latin couplet, which was circu-
lated with its contemporary translation at the time of the
wedding : —

Fortunate senex nusquam non numine notus

Siccine amove senem te coluere dece.

Thou soncie auld carle, the world hes not thy like_,

For ladies fa' in love with thee, tho' thou be ane auld tyke.

'^^ Mr. John Balvaird. Page QB.

John Balvaird was born in 1622, and took his degree at the
University of St. Andrews in 1642. He was admitted as
minister of Kirkden, in Forfarshire, on 13th June 1650, and
when he was translated to Glamis, in 1685, he was succeeded
by his son William, to whom reference is made in Note 63,
page 157. From the time of his induction at Glamis till
his death in 1698, he remained minister of that parish. Be-
sides his son William, minister of Kirkden, already referred
to, he had another son, John, who was also an M.A. of St.
Andrews, and was minister of Edzell in 1684. After his
father^s death he was intruded as successor at Glamis, and
abandoned his former charge, but he seems afterwards to have
taken a medical degree, and to have left the ministry a con-



NOTES 167

siderable time before his death. There was still another son,
called David Balvaird, who witnesses the contract between the
Earl of Strathmore and Jacob de Wet (see page 106), and is
there described as a servitor to Lord Strathmore. The docu-
ment bears evidence that it was written by Mr. David Balvaird,
so that it is probable that he had taken a degree at some
of the universities.

^^ Earl of Northesque. Page 68.

David, third Earl of Northesk, was the eldest son of David,
second Earl of Northesk (see Note 64, p. 157), and of Lady
Jean Maule, daughter of the Earl of Panmure. He was there-
fore full cousin to Lord Strathmore, their mothers having been
sisters. He succeeded to the title on the death of his father
in 1677, and died in October 1688. He married Lady Eliza-
beth Lindsay, daughter of John, Earl of Crawford and Lindsay,
Lord High Treasurer of Scotland.

"'^ Mr. Sylvester Lyon. Page 70.

Silvester Lyon was a native of Kirriemuir, and took his degree
at St. Andrews, 27th July 1666. He was admitted minister
of Kinnettles on 31st January 1667, and was translated to
Kirriemuir in 1669. It is related of him that he preached a
very ' zealous sermon against Popery ' before the Archbishop


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 20 21 22

Online LibraryPatrick Lyon StrathmoreThe book of record, a diary written by Patrick first earl of Strathmore and other documents relating to Glamis castle, 1684-1689 → online text (page 18 of 22)