and Synod of St. Andrews ' which was reckoned bold and
daring.' The name of Silvester Lyon appears in the list of
contributors to the Darien Scheme in 1696, to which he sub-
scribed £9,00 through James Fletcher, Provost of Dundee.
He survived till 1st May 1713. His daughter was married to
James Rait, Bishop of Brechin.
^^ Robert Kinloch. Page 73.
Robert Kinloch belonged to a family whose connection with
Dundee can be traced to the beginning of the sixteenth century.
He was entered as burgess on 9th June 1670, and was Town
Councillor and Bailie frequently betwixt the years 1677 and
168 GLAMIS PAPERS
'^^ Alexander Raite. Page 73.
Alexander Rait was entered as a burgess of Dundee on 11th
August 1677, being then apprentice to John Man, merchant.
In 1680 he entered the Town Council, and was Bailie in
1681. In 1686 James ii. repeated the attempt which his pre-
decessors had several times made to obtain control of the
burghs by appointing the magistrates. He sent a Royal
Warrant before the election in September 1686 directing the
Council to appoint the civic officials whom he named. James
Fletcher was the Provost by the choice of the Council, and he
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
refused to implement the warrant, protesting the freedom of
the burgesses to choose their own representatives. On 2nd De-
cember the King renewed his warrant, and named Alexander
Rait as Provost, filling up all the other offices with his own
nominees. No attention was paid to this encroachment upon
the privileges of the burgh, and a third attempt was made by
the King to accomplish his purpose. On this last occasion he
appointed Major-Gen eral John Graham of Claverhouse (after-
wards Viscount Dundee), to be Provost of Dundee, and that
energetic soldier assumed the position to which he was
called. He presided several times at the meetings of the
Council, but in the succeeding year James Fletcher again
assumed the office of Provost, and continued to administer it
for one year. Graham returned to power in 1688, but after
his death at Killiecrankie, Fletcher once more was chosen
Provost, and remained in that office till 1698. Like many other
Dundee merchants, Alexander Rait was a subscriber to the
Darien Scheme in 1696, having contributed £\00.
'^^ Doctor Yeaman. Page 73.
The Yeaman family came from Rattray, near Blairgowrie, to
Dundee about the middle of the sixteenth century, and for two
centuries after that date they took a prominent part in the
civic affairs of the burgh. John Yeaman, to whom reference
is made in the text, was entered as a burgess on 18th May
1647, and as he is then designated ' chirurgeon,^ he had evi-
dently taken his degree in surgery. His son, who is also
alluded to on page 73, was William Yeaman, and was also a
surgeon. His name appears in 1696 as a subscriber of ddOO
to the establishment of a colony at Darien.
^^ Lord Cardross. Page 76.
Henry Erskine, third Lord Cardross, was the son of David,
second Lord Cardross, and of Anne, daughter of Sir Thomas
Hope of Craighall, Bart. He succeeded his father in 1671,
and having been connected with the Covenanting party
through the families both of his father and of his mother, he
strenuously opposed the attempted imposition of Episcopacy
in Scotland by Lauderdale. His wife was Catherine Stewart,
daughter of Sir James Stewart of Kirkhill, and as she was also
on the side of the Covenanters, Lord Cardross was made the
victim of religious persecution. In 1674, Lady Cardross had
attended the preaching of her chaplain within her own house,
and for this offence Lord Cardross was mulcted in a fine of
^^5000. Of this sum he paid d^lOOO, but being unable to raise
the balance at once, he made application to the King for relief
from the rest of the fine, but without success. On 5th August
1675 he was imprisoned in Edinburgh Castle, and detained
there for four years. He had been pursued with much malignity
by Lauderdale^s party, and his imprisonment gave them oppor-
tunity to proceed to greater extremities. His house at Card-
ross, which had been shortly before altered and furnished at
great expense, was turned into a garrison for the Royalist
troops, who remained there for some time, and did much
damage to the property. Even whilst he was in prison, an
action was raised against him for suff*ering his child to be
baptized by one of the Covenanting preachers and not by the
parish minister, and though it was shown that he was then
(1677) a close prisoner, and unable to prevent his wife's action
in this matter, another fine was imposed upon him. On
30th July 1679, Lord Cardross was liberated, but he had to
give security for the amount of fines due by him, and though
he made application in the following year to have his forfeited
estate assigned to his kinsman, the Earl of Mar, in this
he was unsuccessful. From the references in the Booli of
170 GLAMIS PAPERS
Record (pages 76 and 77), it appears that .£'500 of the fine
imposed upon Lord Cardross was granted by the King to Lord
Strathmore. The Acts of Parliament show that another £B00
was given to the Earl of Moray, and Lord Strathmore describes
how he applied his share of this gift. Sir William Sharp,
then Cash-Keeper, paid the money to Lord Strathmore out of
the Treasury, and took bonds for its repayment from the Earl
of Mar and Sir Charles Erskine, near kinsmen of Lord Card-
ross. The Countess of Buchan, whose son, the Earl of Buchan,
was unmarried, had a liferent leviable from the lands of
Auchterhouse which Lord Strathmore had acquired, and a
portion of the annual rent was cancelled by her to clear off that
part of Lord Cardross' fine granted to Lord Strathmore. The
title and estates of the Earl of Buchan were entailed in such a
way that Lord Cardross was heir-presumptive, hence the desire
of the Countess of Buchan to assist him in this difficulty. The
after part of the history of this fine is rather peculiar. Lord
Cardross went to America and founded a colony at Carolina,
which was ultimately destroyed by the Spaniards. When he
returned, the movement in favour of William, Prince of
Orange, had begun, and he exerted himself enthusiastically in
support of it. He accompanied the Prince to England in
1688, and became a prominent member of the Orange party
in the Scottish Parliament. In 169S, Lord Cardross raised an
action against Sir William Sharp's heir for repayment of the
fine of dClOOO as having been illegally imposed. Sharp, to
defend himself, demanded that the Earl of Moray should repay
the ^500 he had received, and that the Earl of Strathmore
should deliver up the bond of <£500 which he still held. The
case was brought before Parliament, and in June 1693 an Act
was passed directing that this should be done. Unfortunately
Lord Strathmore had ceased keeping his diary at this date, for
it would have been interesting to have seen how he regarded
this curious complication. Lord Cardross was made General
of the Mint, and enjoyed the favour of King William during
the remainder of his life. He died on 21st May 1693, before
the Act of Parliament referred to had been passed. Though
he had had an adventurous career, he was only forty-four years
of age when he died.
SI Heriofs Hospitall. Page 76.
George Heriot, the founder of Heriot's Hospital, is sup-
posed to have been a descendant of the Heriots of Trabroun
in East Lothian, and of Ramornie in Fifeshire. He was born
in Edinburgh in June 1563, and was trained as a goldsmith in
the workshop of his father. He began business in Edinburgh
as a goldsmith and money-lender, and in 1601 was appointed
jeweller to James vi. When the King went to London, Heriot
followed in his train, and took up his residence in Cornhill,
opposite the Exchange, following his double pursuit as gold-
smith and money-lender. Here he was married for the second
time, his wife being a daughter of James Primrose, Clerk to
the Privy Council, who was ancestor of the Earl of Rosebery,
but she did not long survive this union, dying on 16th April
1612, and leaving him childless. It was probably this latter
circumstance that led him to conceive the idea of founding an
hospital similar to Christ's Hospital in London, and by his
will, dated 3rd September 1623, six months before his death,
he left the residue of his property, after the payment of several
legacies, to the city of Edinburgh ' To found and Erect ane
publick pios and charitable worke within the said Burgh of
Edinburgh To the glorie of God ffor the publict weill and
ornament of the said Burghe of Edinburgh And for the hon-
our and dew regaird Quhilk I have and beeres to my native
soyle and mother Citie of Edinburgh forsaid And In Imitation
of the publict pios and religious work foundat within the Citie
of London, callit Chrystis Hospitall thair To be callit in all
tyme coming. . . . Hospitall and Seminarie of Orphans for
educatione nursing and upbringing of Youth being puir
Orphans and fatherles childrene of decayit Burgesses and
freemen of the said Burgh destitut and left without means.**
It is supposed that the sum left for this purpose amounted to
not less than =£^50,000 sterling. With this money ground was
acquired, and Heriot's Hospital was erected. The surplus
money not required for the carrying on of the Hospital was lent
at 6 per cent, interest, and it seems from the Bool: of Record
that the Earl of Erroll and Lord Strathmore had become
cautioners for a considerable sum to the trustees. The method
172 GLAMIS PAPERS
taken to pay off the interest on the cautionery is fully ex-
plained on pages 76 and 89, and is referred to in the Intro-
^^ Boyl of KeTburne. Page 77.
John Boyle of Kelburne was the eldest son of David Boyle
of Hawkhead, and of Grizel Boyle, the heiress of Kelburne. He
represented Buteshire in the Convention of 1678, and in the
Parliament of 1681-82 and 1685. He was appointed one of
the Tacksmen of the Excise in 1684, and died on 7th October
1685. By his marriage with Marion, daughter of Sir Walter
Stewart of Allanton, Lanarkshire, he had two sons and one
daughter. The elder son, David, was created Earl of Glasgow
on 12th April 1703.
^^ Sir Wm. Sharp. Page 77.
Sir William Sharp of Stonyhill was the son of Archbishop
Sharp, and of Helen Moncrieff, daughter of the Laird of
Randerston. He was Commissioner of Supply for Midlothian,
in 1678, 1685, and 1686, and represented Clackmannanshire in
the Parliament of 1681-82. His death took place previous to
1693, as is shown by the Act of Parliament of that year
already quoted (see Note 80, page 169), and was then repre-
sented by his nephew Sir William Sharp of Scotscraig. The
property of Scotscraig on the south bank of the Tay, near
Tayport, was acquired by the Archbishop, and some of his
structural alterations upon the mansion bear his arms and the
insignia of his ecclesiastical office. His son Sir William was
created a Baronet in 1683, taking the designation of Scotscraig.
^* Sir John Maitland. Page 78.
Sir John Maitland of Ravelrig has already been referred to
(see Note 26, page 124). In the earlier entry, the debt owing
to him in 1684 is set down at c£1333, 6s. 8d., and a note on
the margin at a later date, in Lord Strathmore's handwriting,
states that this debt had been paid. The amount referred to
on page 78 has probably been made up by an additional sum
borrowed from Sir John, and discharged in the manner described
on that page.
^ Mr, David Lindsay. Page 79.
David Lindsay was the eldest son of David Lindsay, minister
of Rescobie, Forfarshire, and was admitted as minister of the
parish of Maryton, near Montrose, on 3rd July 1673. He
remained in this charge until his death on 17th December
1673. There is no reference in Scott's Fasti Ecclesice Scoticanas
to Lindsay having taken his degree as Master of Arts, but as
Lord Strathmore styles him ' Mr. David,' it seems likely that
he had been laureated.
^^ Campbell ofLunday. Page 79.
James Campbell was the only son of the seventh Earl of
Argyll, by his second marriage with Anne, daughter of Sir
William Cornwallis, and was created a Peer in 1626, whilst quite
young, his title being Baron Campbell of Kintyre. Ten years
afterwards he obtained the barony of Lundie in Forfarshire,
which property had come into the Argyll family, through the
forfeiture of Robert, Lord Lyle. He entered the service of
Louis xiTi. of France and greatly distinguished himself in the
Spanish Wars. On his return to this country he was created
Earl of Irvine and Lord of Lundie by Charles i., on 28th
March 1642. The lands of Kintyre, which had been granted
to him by his father, were sold to his brother, the Marquess of
Argyll, and it thus curiously happened that Lord Strathmore
had a claim upon Kintyre through the forfeiture of the Earl
of Irvine's kinsman in 1685, and a right to his estates of Lundie
by purchase at the same time. The Earl of Irvine died in
France, previous to the Restoration, and as he left no issue
the title became extinct.
87 The Rehell Argyll. Page 84.
Archibald, ninth Earl of Argyll, was the son of Archibald,
Marquess of Argyll, and of Lady Margaret Douglas, daughter
of William, Earl of Morton. His history is too well known to
174 GLAMIS PAPERS
require repetition here, and he is only noticed to call attention
to the connection betwixt him and Lord Strathmore. The
hapless rebellion, in which he was concerned with the Duke of
Monmouth in 1685, was speedily suppressed, and the unfor-
tunate Earl was executed at Edinburgh on 30th June 1685.
^ The Treasurer, Page 85.
William Douglas, third Earl and first Duke of Queensberry,
was the son of James, second Earl of Queensberry, and of Lady
Margaret Stewart, daughter of the first Earl of Traquair. He
was born in 1637, and was made a Privy Councillor when in
his thirtieth year. On the death of his father in 1671 he
succeeded to the earldom, and was made Lord Justice-General
when Viscount Tarbat became Lord Clerk -Register. On 11th
February 1682 he was created Marquess of Queensberry, and
the right was accorded to him to use the double tressure in his
coat-of-arms, as carried by the Royal Family. On 12th May
of this year he resigned his office as Lord Justice- General, and
was made Lord High Treasurer, that office having been under
commission for fifteen years before that time. Several impor-
tant offices were committed to his charge about the same time,
and on 3d February 1684 he was created Duke of Queensberry,
and stood high in favour when Charles ii. died. The accession
of James vii. made little change in his position, as he was con-
tinued in the high offices which he had held under the deceased
monarch. Like others of the Scottish nobles of his time, how-
ever, he became a martyr to his religious convictions. The
Earl of Perth, who was Lord High-Chancellor (see Note 72,
p. 163), had secured the favour of the King by changing his
creed, but the Duke of Queensberry frequently testified his
objection to the revival of Romanism, and his enemies suc-
ceeded in turning the King against him. In 1686 he was
deprived of his offices, and retired from public life, refraining
from taking an active part in the movement that produced the
Revolution. He acquiesced in the conferring of the crown
upon William and Mary, but he refrained from taking office
under the new sovereigns.
«9 Earl ofMelfort. Page 89.
John Drummond, Earl of Melfort, was the younger brother
of James, fourth Earl of Perth (see Note 1% p. 163). He shared
in the favour of his brother, and was appointed General of the
Ordnance in 1680, Treasurer-Depute in 168S, and one of the
principal Secretaries of State in 1684. In the following year,
when James vii. ascended the throne, he was continued in the
latter office, and was created Viscount of Melfort, in Argyll-
shire. In 1686 he was raised in the Peerage with the title of
Earl of Melfort, and he continued as Secretary of State till
the Revolution. Leaving the kingdom, he joined King James
in France, and was created Duke of Melfort and Marquess of
Forth. Sentence of outlawry was pronounced against him in
1694, but he remained at St. Germains, having full control of
the exiled king**s affairs until his death, which took place in
^ Mr. dvit, Limner. Page 92.
Jacob de Wet was a Dutch artist, who came to this country
probably with the Dutch carver, Jan Van Sant Voort, in 1674,
and they were both engaged at the decoration of Holyrood
Palace. This work was completed in 1686, and Lord Strath-
more entered into a contract with de Wet on 18th January
1688, employing him to execute a number of paintings for
Glamis Castle, many of which are still in existence there. The
details of this bargain will be found in the second and third
papers in this volume (pp. 104-9).
^^ Marquess of Athol. Page 95.
John Murray, second Earl of Athol, and afterwards first
Marquess of Athol, was the son of John, first Earl of Athol,
and of Jean, youngest daughter of Sir Duncan Campbell of
Glenurchy. He was born in 1635, and succeeded to the title
on the death of his father in June 1642. When the Earl of
Glencairn mustered an army to withstand the Cromwellian
invasion in 1653, the Earl of Athol, then a mere youth, joined
him with 2000 men, and with his aid the Royalists were enabled
176 GLAMIS PAPERS
to resist the conquest of Scotland at that time. In conse-
quence of his patriotic but unsuccessful efforts, the Earl was
specially excepted from Cromwell's Act of Grace and Pardon
in 1654. He continued faithful to the Stewart cause, and
was rewarded after the Restoration with many honours and
offices. He was sworn a Privy Councillor in 1660, and made
hereditary Sheriff of Fife, was appointed Lord Justice- General
of Scotland in 1663, Captain of the King's Guard in 1670,
Keeper of the Privy Seal in 1672, and an Extraordinary
Lord of Session on 14th June 1673. Through the death of
the Earl of TuUibardine in 1670, he succeeded to that title,
and on 17th February 1676 he was created Marquess of Athol.
In the early portion of the Duke of Lauderdale's administra-
tion, Athol was his intimate friend and confidant, but the
severe measures which the Duke adopted towards the Con-
venticlers, though at first a source of profit to the Marquess,
ultimately caused him to sever his connection with Lauderdale,
and to join the Duke of Hamilton against him. In revenge
for this desertion the office of Lord Justice-General was taken
from him, but he retained the other posts to which he had
been appointed. He presided in the Parliament of 1681, and
was one of the principal agents in the suppression of Argyll's
Rebellion in 1685. At this time he seems to have had a very
wide commission from the Privy Council as to the command of
the forces in Scotland, and Lord Strathmore was under his orders
whilst in the west country. To him the Marquess had com-
mitted the charge of providing for the army. Though Athol
had so long supported the Royalist cause, he was an active
promoter of the Revolution, and visited the court of William
and Mary expecting preferment, as he was nearly related
through his wife to the new king. In this he was disappointed,
and his attempt to secure the post of President in the Con-
vention of Estates in the Episcopalian interests, in opposition
to the Duke of Hamilton and the Presbyterians, was also un-
successful. Shortly afterwards he retired from public life, and
spent the remainder of his days at Blair- Athol. He died there
on 7th May 1703, and was buried in Dunkeld Cathedral, where
a magnificent monument was erected to his memory bearing
the following inscription : —
D. O. M.
Hie suhter in Hypogceo, in Spem heatce Resurrectionis, con-
duntur cineres illustris Herois, Joannis, Marchionis AthoUce,
Comitis TuUibardini, Vicecomitis de Balquhider, D. Murray^
Balvenie et Gask, Domini Regalitatis Atholia^, Balivi here-
ditarii Dominii de Dunkeld, Senescalli hereditarii de Fife et
Huntingtour^ Stuartorum Atholice, et Muraviorum Tillihardini
Comitum Hoeredis ; qui, utroq; Parente, Joanne Atholio et
Joanna Filia D. de Glenurchy, nondum decennis orbatus, a Rege
Carolo II. reduce, oh gnaviter adversus Rehelles, dum adhuc
Juvenis XVIII. circiter Annorzim, navatam Operant, summamq.
exinde in Bello et Pace constantiam et Fidem, multis Mun-
eribus accumulatus est; Quippe erat Justiciarius Generalis
supremos Curice in Civilibus, extra Ordinem Senator, Cohortis
prcetorice Equestris Proefectus, Parliamenti interdum Presses,
Sigilli privati Cu^tos, ah jErario, Scaccario et a Conciliis,
Vicecomes Perthensis, Locum tenens Comitatus Argathelice et
Tarbat, et deniqu£, a Rege Jacobo VII. nobilissimi Ordinis,
Andreani Equesjactus est. Obiit 7 Die Maii 1703.
^ Archbishop of' St. Andrews. Page 96.
Arthur Ross, youngest son of John Ross, minister of Birse,
was admitted minister of the parish of Kinnairney in 1656,
translated to Old Deer in 1663, and thence to the parsonage
of Glasgow in the following year. In 1674 he was consecrated
Bishop of Argyll, and was promoted to the See of St. Andrews
in 1684. He was the last who held that Archbishopric whilst
Episcopacy was the established religion of Scotland. It is
said that his violent temper did much to prevent the mainten-
ance of Episcopacy after the Revolution. He died in 1704.
Aberbothrie, Grange of, 98.
Aberdeen, Bishop of, 158.
College of, 70, 74, 118, 122.
Earl of, 163.
town of, xi.
Aberdeenshire, Sheriff of, 129.
Lord Strathmore's estate in, 24.
Aberdour, lands of, 26, 27.
Lord of, 28.
Abernethie, wood of, 142.
Aboyn, Earl of, 17, 50, 79, 139, 140.
Adair, John, 152.
Adam, Peter, tenant in Drumgley, 65.
Adamstoun, Easter, lands of, 96.
Airlie, Castle of, 116.
Earl of, 3, 4, 116, 117.
parish of, 48.
The Bonnie House o', 116,
Aldbarr, lands of, 144.
Laird of, xii, 20, 21, 22, 144.
barony of, 22, 25.
Aldblair, Laird of, 47.
Aliburton, James, in Easter town of
Alison, in Dundee, 82.
Anderson, Alexander, 82.
2ivX\iOX oi Diplofnata Scotia;,
Angus, estate of, 16.
regiment of, xii, 20, 84.
shire of, collector of the, 6^, 93.
Anne, Queen, 165.
Anstruther, Wester, minister of, 118.
Arbuthnott, Alexander, 125.
Bailie, in Dundee, 102.
Robert, of Findowrie, 125.
of that Ilk, 125.
Ardblair, 82, 83, 99.
Areskin. See Erskine.
Argyll, Bishop of, 177.
Earl of, 76, 116, 131, 173.
family of, 120, 173.
Marquess of, 84, 125, 139, 142,
Argyllshire, lands in, xxvii.
Argyll's Rebellion, xxvi, 89, 90.
Amafoul, Mains of, 47.
town of, 47.
milne of, 47.
Arnot, Hugo, 134.
Athol, Earls of, 175, 176.
Marquess of, xxviii, 24, 95,
Atkinson, Isobell, 87.
Auchinleck, Mr. James, 10.
Auchnedy, rental of, 48.
Auchterhouse, xxxviii, 3, 77.
brewers at, 58.
Cottoune of, 83.
factor of, 12, 57, 6t, 68, 78.
ground officer of, 58.
horses bought at, 102.
kirk-session of, 9, 81.
Mains of, 4, 70.
miln of, 61.
rents in, 49, 83.
tax roll of, 53, 58.
Auchterlonie, of Guynd, 14
Bagownie, lands of, 47.
Bahelvie, lands of, in Aberdeenshire^
parish of, 25.
Bain, James, Master Wright to His
Majesty, xlvi, 156.
Bakie, lands of, 98.
Balbeno, Easter, lands of, 85.
Wester, lands of, 85.
Balcaskie, lands of, 147.
Balfour, Sir James, 145.
Balindean, Fotheringhame of, 46,.
Balmerinoch, Lord, 3, ii7-
Balmuketie, lands of, 48.
lands of, 47.
parish of, 46.
rental of, 46.
tenants of, 60.
value of, 23.
Balunie, lands of, 125.
Balvaird, David, 106, 167.
John, minister of Kirkden, 5, 65,
102, 157, 166.
William, 55, 73, 157, 166.
Banff, George, first Lord, 117.
Bannerman of Elsick, 14.
Patrick, Provost of Aberdeen,
Sir Alexander, 129.
Sir George, Bart., of Elsick,
Bannockbum, Paterson of, 76.
Bameyeards, fishing of, 56.
lands of, 56.
Beal, Rev. S. G., M.A. Oxon.,
Rector of Romald-Kirk, vii.
Beatoun of Westhall, 126.
Bekie, lands of, 48.
Bell, John, in Cerrithill, 58.
Bennie, James, in Balmukety, 8.
Benvie, church of, 113.
Billeting Act, the, 165.
Binning, Sir William, of Walingford,
Birse, Minister of, 177.
Black, Archibald, 55.
Blackhill, lands of, 47.
Blackness, castle of, 130.
Wedderburns of, 126.
Blackwood, Mr. Robert, 69, 71, 100.
Blair- Athol, 176.
John, in Thorntone, 83.
Litle, factor at, 57.
rental of, 49.