Pennsylvania State College. Alumni Association.

Penn State in the world war online

. (page 21 of 52)
Online LibraryPennsylvania State College. Alumni AssociationPenn State in the world war → online text (page 21 of 52)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

with the 36th Infantry, and received his permanent commission as first

GROUSE, RANDAL HOWARD, was appointed second lieutenant of
Company A, National Guard, 8th Pennsylvania Infantry, from York, July 9,
1917. He was promoted to first lieutenant. Company A, 112th Infantry, 28th
Division, while at Camp Hancock, Ga. Lieutenant Crouse sailed for France
May 6, 1918, and went into action in July, 1918. He participated in every
battle until the signing of the armistice and came out without a wound. He
was transferred as first lieutenant to 1st Battalion, where he served as
adjutant and intelligence officer, 112th Infantry Headquarters, 28th Division,
and arrived in the United States in May, 1919.

CROWELL, RALPH THOMAS, enlisted May 15, 1918, and entered
the Fourth Officers' Training Camp at Camp Custer, Mich. This school was
moved to Camp Lee, Va., June 30, 1918. On August 26, 1918, he was commis-
sioned second lieutenant, Infantry, and on September 5, 1918, reported at

Page One Ninety-five

Pbnn State in the, World War.

Camp Dix, N. J. He served with the 5th, 1st and 2nd Battalions, 143rd
Depot Brigade, Camp Dix, N. J., until discharged, March 15, 1919.

GULP, HARRY FRANKLIN, served with the Hospital Corps, 111th
Infantry, American Expeditionary Forces.

CUNO, JOHN BROWN, had received his second lieutenant's commis-
sion in January before the United States declared war against Germany, and
was ordered to report to Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., on May 8, 1917. After a
month in training at Fort Oglethorpe and two months at Camp American
University, he was assigned to and remained with the 20th Engineers until
it was demobilized after returning from overseas.

Lieutenant Cuno left for France on November 12, 1917, and reached
St. Nazaire. From there he went south, to a little town called Dax in the
Department of the Landes, not far from Spain. There the 1st Battalion to
which he had been assigned cut yellow pine timber for docks at Bordeaux,
storage warehouses at St. Sulpice, etc. He was supply officer for the bat-
talion, and was promoted to first lieutenant in September, 1918. Part of
the time he was on detached service in Bordeaux looking after supplies.

CURRAY, WILLIAM, was with the Aviation Corps in Louisiana.

DAVIS, HIRAM CLAYTON, enlisted in the Ordnance Department and
was assigned to Company D, Ordnance Supply School, Camp Hancock, Ga.,
June 30, 1918. On August 10, 1918, he was transferred to the 3rd Regiment,
Ordnance Training School, at Camp Hancock.

DAETWYLER, CALVIN CROWELL, enlisted in the 3rd New Jersey
Infantry, National Guard, in Camden, N. J., May 1, 1917, and was called
into service July 25, 1917. He was detailed to Camp Edge, Sea Girt, N. J.,
until September 29, 1917, when he was ordered to Camp McClellan, Anniston,
Ala. While at Sea Girt he was appointed corporal. In March, 1918, Corporal
Daetwyler was transferred to the post band, Camp Upton, N. Y. In July,
1918, he was detailed to the Central Officers' Training School for Field Ar-
tillery, Camp Zachary Taylor, Louisville, Ky. He was commissioned second
lieutenant. Field Artillery, November 10, 1918, and was assigned to the staff
of the training school until November 24, 1918, when he was ordered to the
School of Fire, Fort Sill, Okla., where he was stationed until December 17,
1918. Lieutenant Daetwyler was discharged from the service December 17,

DENITHORNE, GEORGE STEPHENSON, enlisted in the Engineer
Officers' Reserve Corps and was assigned to Company 3, Engineer Officers'
Training Corps, at Camp Lee, Va., and was commissioned first lieutenant
Engineer Corps. He left Camp Lee, Va., on April 15, 1918, for a fifteen days'
furlough, and reported May 1, 1918, at Camp Meade, Md., having been
assigned to the 27th Engineers, the only mining regiment in the Army. He
was attached to Company C for a while, but was transferred to the recruit
detachment for overseas. Company F was formed from the recruit detach-
ment on July 19, 1918, to which Lieutenant Denithorne was permanently
assigned. Company F, 27th Engineers, arrived at Camp Merritt, N. J., August
22, 1918, and sailed overseas August 31, 1918, landing at Glasgow September
13, 1918. Lieutenant Denithorne was in active service at the front from
October to November 11, 1918, building bridges, for the First Army in the
Meuse-Argonne offensive. The 27th Engineers withdrew from the front

Page One Ninety- six

Penn Statb in the World \v^k

December 10, 1918, after various billets in French towns, and sailed for the
United States March 7, on the U. S. S. Dakotan. Lieutenant Denithorne
arrived at Hoboken, N. J., March 20, 1919, and was discharged at Camp
Meade, Md., April 15, 1919.

DEVLIN, NATHANIEL DRUMMOND, was with the Cleveland unit,
Base Hospital No. 4, Lakeside, from July 21 to August 14, 1917, and from
August 14 to September 8, 1917, was in New York City. This unit sailed
September 8, and arrived at Liverpool, England, September 8, 1917, and ar-
rived at La Havre, France, September 23, 1917. He was attached to the
British forces in Northern France until March 10, 1919. The unit sailed from
Brest on March 31, arrived at Boston April 8, 1919, and was mustered out
April 23, 1919.

DIEHL, MILTON ADAM, entered the First Reserve Officers' Training
Camp at Fort Niagara, N. Y. He later entered the Third Reserve Officers'
Training Camp, was commissioned second lieutenant, and ordered to the
Infantry Replacement and Training Camp at Camp Lee, Va. He was pro-
moted to first lieutenant September 26, 1918. .

Lieutenant Diehl was assigned to Company A, 10th Battalion, Infantry
Replacement and Training Camp, Camp Lee. In October, 1918, he was
placed in command of the 100th Provisional Company, and left for overseas
October 28, 1918, with his company. He arrived in France November 9, 1918.
His company was broken up and used as replacements. Lieutenant Diehl
became attached to the 41st Division. Later he was assigned to duty with
the 1st Replacement Depot, St. Aigan, France, and was company commander
until June, 1919. He then volunteered for duty with the Graves' Registration
Service, and was sent to Romagne, France. Lieutenant Diehl left Brest
for the United States July 19, and arrived at Hoboken, N. J., July 29, 1919.
He was discharged August 16, 1919.

DIMELOW, JAMES EDGAR, enlisted in the Army Field Artillery
Corps, and after serving overseas, was attached as private to Headquarters
Company, 10th Field Artillery, Army of Occupation. He was later granted
a three months' course at the University of Paris.

DONNELLY, ARTHUR T., was at Camp Lee, Va., and also attended
the Reserve Officers' Training Camp at Fort Meyer, Va., in August, 1917.

DORFMAN, LOUIS MORRIS, attempted to enter the First and Second
Reserve Officers' Training Camps but was rejected. He was called in the
draft in September, 1917, but was again rejected on account of hernia.
He was inducted into the service May 25, 1918, and entrained for Camp
Meade, Md. There he was attached to Company M, 316th Infantry. In a
few weeks, after a thorough physical examination, he was transferred to the
154th Depot Brigade. Due to his former experience at "State," he assisted in
drilling, and on July 1, 1918, was appointed corporal. From July 1 to August
15, 1918, he was kept busy drilling platoons in his company. On August 15,
1918, he was sent to the base hospital. About October 8, 1918, Corporal
Dorfman was ordered to report to the headquarters of the development bat-
talions for duty in the office.

In December, 1918, he was promoted to regimental sergeant major. He
was given his discharge January 3, 1919.

Page One Ninety-seven

Penn State in the World Wak

0. C. DAETWil.LK


W P Iiii I I MPI I


J ,-% »-. ' »

r^ ^^

J (' iomii.i;man




Page One Ninety-eight

Penn State in the World \v^r

DOWD, CALE BEARD, attended the First Reserve Officers' Training
Camp at Madison Barracks, N. Y., and was commissioned second lieutenant
and assigned to 109th Infantry, Supply Company, Camp Hancock, Ga.

DUNBAR, JOHN EDWARD DUBOIS, enlisted June 6, 1918, in the
27th Engineers (Mining Regiment), and left for overseas duty, as sergeant,
August 31, 1918. He arrived on foreign soil September 13, 1918, at Glasgow,
Scotland, and at Le Havre, France, September 17, 1918. He was stationed
in and around Clermont during the Meuse-Argonne offensive. While in
France he was appointed master engineer, senior grade. His regiment, a
special organization, was attached to the First Army. It was released from
the First Army during the latter part of December, 1918. The regiment sailed
from St. Nazaire on February 7, 1919, for the United States, and landed at
Hoboken March 20, 1919. Sergeant Dunbar was discharged at Camp Grant,
111., on April 11, 1919.

He spent six weeks training at Fort Strong, Boston, Mass., and sailed for
France July 11, 1917, on the S. S. Aurania via Queenstown, Liverpool,
Southampton, and Le Havre, arriving July 23, 1917. After an uneventful
twenty months' service without a single day off, he received a seven days'
furlough, and then spent four months at the University of Paris (La Sor-
bonne). He returned to New York July 18, and was demobilized at Camp
Mills, N. Y., July 26, 1919.

EASTON, THEODORE WILLIAM, entered the First Reserve Officers'
Training Camp at Fort Niagara, N. Y., and was commissioned second lieu-
tenant. He was assigned to Company F, 111th Regiment, at Camp Hancock,
Ga., transferred to 108th Machine Gun Battalion, 28th Division, and sailed
for France April 28, 1918. He entered the front line June 24, 1918, and on
September 3, was wounded at Fismes, in the battle of the Marne. He spent
eleven weeks recovering at Base Hospital No. 68. Lieutenant Easton left
France February 6, 1919. He was discharged March 3, 1919.

ECKLEY, JOHN RAYMOND, was admitted May, 1918, into actual
service at the School of Military Aeronautics at Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, Cambridge, Mass. He was honorably released from military
service in June, 1918, and sent to the General Steel Company, Milwaukee,
Wis., to assist in steel production. He entered the U. S. Tank Corps in
October, 1918, and was sent to Camp Polk, Raleigh, N. C. He was admitted
to the Reserve Officers' Training Camp and retained there until the signing
of the armistice. In December, 1918, he was sent to Camp Greene, Charlotte,
N. C, to be mustered out of service and was later sent to Camp Meade, Md.
He was honorably discharged from military service January 13, 1918.

ERB, GEORGE KRAUSE, enlisted in Company D, 1st Telephone Bat-
talion, United States Reserves, April 20, 1917, with the rank of sergeant. He
was called into active service June 17, 1917, and landed at St. Nazaire, France,
August 20, 1917. He was attached to the 1st Division when that unit
took over the first American sector northwest of Toul. He was later
attached to the First Army Corps and went through Chateau Thierry, the
reduction of the St. Mihiel salient, and the beginning of the Argonne
drive. On October 20, 1918, he was transferred to the Chemical Warfare
Service and sent to the officers' training school at Hanlon Field where he
remained until after the armistice was signed. With the signing of the

Page One Ninety-nine

Pbnn State in the World War

armistice the school was discontinued, and the men were divided into casual
companies preparatory to sailing for the United States. Erb landed at New-
port News, Va., January 9, 1919, and was mustered out of service January
20, 1919.

ESHLEMAN, GERALD JACOB CHARLES, after serving on the Mexi-
can border with Company E, 2nd Infantry, New York National Guard, during
the summer of 1916, he began duty on March 25, 1917, in the upper part of
New York State when it was deemed necessary to protect the railroad bridges,
canal locks, tunnels, etc. On May 31, 1917, he was ordered to Madison
Barracks, N. Y., to attend the First Officers' Training Camp. In August he
rejoined his regiment and was appointed corporal. The New York division
went into training at Spartanburg, S. C, in September. Corporal Eshle-
man's regiment became the 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Division of the
United States Army. He was detailed to attend the gas defense school,
from which he was appointed instructor in the subject. The division sailed
for France on May 14, 1918, and landed at Brest, France, May 20. It
was sent immediately to the British sector in Northern France and Belgium,
and put in the lines.

On September 29, 1918, the 27th and 30th American Divisions with the
Australian 2nd Corps, broke through the famous Hindenburg Line between
the cities of Cambrai and St. Quentin. In this drive Corporal Eshlenian re-
ceived a shrapnel wound in the right hand, and was sent to Base Hospital No.
Z7 at Dartfort, Eng. He rejoined his regiment in France on December 4, 1918.

The Division left Brest, France, for the United States on February 28,
1919, and landed at New York March 6, 1919. Corporal Eshleman was dis-
charged on April 1, 1919.

EVERHART, GEORGE WILBERT, enlisted May 23, 1917, and was
assigned to the 5th Engineers at El Paso, Tex. He was later transferred with
the same regiment to Brownsville, Tex., and made corporal in the Ordnance
Detachment of the same regiment. The regiment was then transferred from
Brownsville, and prepared for overseas. It left Hoboken, N. J., July 30, 1917,
and landed in Brest, August 12. It was stationed in the training area for six
weeks, when it was ordered to the 7th Division, and assigned to the Peuvenell
sector, which comprised the country around Rombercourt, Thiaucourt, and
Vilcey en Haye.

The regiment sailed from Brest on February 15, and landed in the United
States February 25, 1919. The 5th was mustered out at Camp Humphreys, Va.

FADDIS, CHARLES, enlisted in Company K, 10th Infantry (Pennsyl-
vania Regiment) June 22, 1916, and served as sergeant on the Mexican border
patrol for three months. He was then relieved and sent home. July 15, 1917,
he was again called into service and promoted to first sergeant. He was
admitted to the Reserve Officers' Training Camp at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga.,
August 15, 1917. Sergeant Faddis was commissioned as captain, November
25, 1917, and assigned to the 47th Infantry, at Charlotte, N. C. He helped
organize the 4th Ammunition Train at Camp Greene, N. C. Captain Faddis
landed in France May 31, 1918, and shortly afterwards joined the French.
He saw active service from that time on, and was at the front when the
armistice was signed.

He was commissioned major, September 21, 1918, and was promoted to
lieutenant colonel November 13, 1918. He was with the 4th Division which
was in the Army of Occupation. Lieutenant Colonel Faddis was in four

Page Two Hundred

Pbnn State in thb World ^Vak

big drives, including Chateau Thierry, St. Mihiel and the Argonne. He was
cited by General Pershing for "extraordinary, meritorious, and conspicuous
services at Dun-sur-Meuse, France."

FISH, E. E., entered service May 30, 1918, at Amherst, Mass., and went
overseas on July 10, 1918. He returned July 6, 1919. He was with the 2nd
Corps, Artillery Park, France, and was in the following major engagements:
Aisne-Marne offensive, St. Mihiel offensive, Oise-Aisne oft'ensive, and the
Argonne oft'ensive. He was discharged July 16, 1919.

FISHER, ALBERT EARL, enlisted in the Infantry branch of the Army,
August 27, 1917, and served three months with the 9th Company, 2nd
Provisional Training Regiment, at Fort Sheridan, 111. On December 14, 1918,
he was transferred to the Aviation Section, and was stationed at Chandler
Field, Essington, Pa., on detached duty with the 814th Aero Squadron, where
he remained until discharged from the service January 31, 1919, as private,
first class.

FLUKE, CHARLES SCHWAB, attended the Third Reserve Officers'
Training Camp, and was commissioned second lieutenant, Infantry, and served
with the 78th Division, Company M, 309th Regiment. He was later trans-
ferred to the 11th Division, and served as assistant gas officer in this organ-

FOX, THOMAS, enlisted in the United States Ambulance Corps, and
served at Camp Hancock, Ga., with Ambulance Company 111, 103rd Sani-
tary Train.

FRALEIGH, PHILIP WALDORF, enlisted in the Engineer Officers'
Reserve Corps as a private on October 22, 1917, was assigned to Company B,
25th Engineers, and was soon sent overseas. He returned in January, 1918,
to the United States on account of illness. In May, 1918, he was again
considered fit for duty and ordered to France. He was still a member of
Company B, 25th Engineers, but was assigned to detached service with the
Engineer Purchasing Officer. He was transferred to detached Engineer Pur-
chasing Office, Paris, November, 1918. He was made sergeant January, 1919,
with the same detachment, and brigade sergeant major June, 1919. He was
discharged on July 3, 1919.

FRAZIER, CLARENCE DONALDSON, enlisted September 19, 1917,
and was assigned to Battery C, 323rd Field Artillery, in training at Camp
Sherman, Ohio. He was appointed corporal October 15, and sergeant Decem-
ber 10, 1917. Fie embarked for France June 10, 1918, arriving in Liverpool,
Eng., June 28, on a cattle boat making its first trip with a human cargo. He
arrived in France July 3, and trained at Maure, in Bretegne, and Camp
Coetquedan. In September, 1918, he was ordered to the St. Mihiel sector
with the reserve artillery corps, but was rerouted to the Argonne in time
for the big oft'ensive, September 26. About October 4, 1918, Sergeant Frazier
received orders to report to the Artillery Officers' School at Saumar. He
graduated in heavy artillery, 155-mm G. P. F. long-range rifles, and owing
to the signing of the armistice was again assigned to the 323rd Regiment,
then permanently assigned to the 32nd Division, located with the Army of
Occupation, with Headquarters at Rengsdorf, Germany. He was commis-
sioned second lieutenant April 1, 1919, and reassigned at the request of the
battery commander to Battery C, 323rd Field Artillery. He left Brest May

Page Two Hundred One

Penn State in the World War

5, 1919, arrived in New York May 12, and was mustered out of service May
20, 1919, as second lieutenant, Field Artillery.

*FREDETTE, FRANKLIN EUGENE, entered the Second Reserve
Officers' Training Camp at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., August 15, 1917, and was
commissioned second lieutenant December 15, 1917, and assigned to Troop F,
11th U. S. Cavalry, Fort Oglethorpe. Lieutenant Fredette contracted influ-
enza, which developed into pneumonia, and died at the base hospital. Fort
Oglethorpe, January 28, 1918.

GARRETT, GEORGE EVELYN, was a member of the 5th Infantry,
Maryland National Guard, at the time of the entrance of the United
States into the war, and served with this organization in Federal service
until the Second Reserve Officers' Training Camp, Fort Myer, Va., August
25, 1917, at v^rhich time he was detached from his command and entered this
camp. He was commissioned second lieutenant. Infantry, Officers' Reserve
Corps, November 27, 1917, and assigned to the 8th Company, 155th Depot
Brigade, Camp Lee, Va., December 15. On March 14, 1918, he was trans-
ferred to the Machine Gun Training Center, Camp Hancock, Ga., and assigned
to the 2nd Company, Main Training Depot, in command of the 14th Recruit
Company, May 20, 1918. On June 1 he was transferred to the Machine
Gun Training Camp, and was in command of this organization from December
1, 1918, to the date of its demobilization, January 15, 1919. On July 15, he was
commissioned a first lieutenant. Infantry. After Lieutenant Garrett's organ-
ization was disbanded, he was assigned to Camp Hancock, Ga., as camp
insurance officer, and when the camp was abandoned March 27, 1919, he was
ordered to Camp Gordon, Ga., in charge of all records of Camp Hancock. He
remained in this capacity until his discharge on October 30, 1919.

GELBACH, LORING LUSK, received the commission of second lieu-
tenant, Ordnance Officers' Reserve Corps, January 24, 1918, transferred to
the Department of the Inspector General for duty March 1, 1918. He was
recommissioned July 20, 1918, in the National Army, and was commissioned
first lieutenant September 12, 1918. He was discharged January 25, 1919,
at the Headquarters of the Southeastern Department at Charleston, S. C.

GILPIN, MASON CONRAD, enlisted June 25, 1917, in the 1st Ambu-
lance Company, Pennsylvania National Guard. He trained at Camp Han-
cock, Ga., where the Pennsylvania National Guard was drafted into Federal
service as the 28th Division, at which time the 1st Pennsylvania Ambulance
Company became Ambulance Company 109. He sailed from the United
States May 19, 1918. He served with the American Expeditionary Forces
as litter bearer and first-aid man for infantry.

He engaged in the battles of the 5th German offensive, July 14-27 ; advance
on Ourcq and Vesle, July 28-September 7; Meuse-Argonne September 26 to
October 8; and Thiaucourt sector, October 15 to November 11, 1919. He
arrived in the United States July 24, 1919.

GIPPLE, OLIVER BENJAMIN, enlisted as private in the 10th Reserve
Engineers (Forestry), American Expeditionary Force.

GLEASON, GEORGE HOMER, was commissioned as captain, Ord-
nance Department, and stationed at Washington in the design section of the
Gun Division in charge of the high explosives' branch. He was later pro-
moted to major, one of the youngest of that rank in the Army, and was in

Page Two Hundred Two

Penn State in the World War









j Page Two Handrea Three

Penn State in the World War

control of design and construction of powder factory. United States Govern-
ment Explosives' Plant C, Nitro.

GOETZ, ALVIN CHARLES, attended the Second Officers' Reserve
Training Camp, at Fort Niagara, N. Y., and was commissioned second lieu-
tenant in the Signal Reserve Corps on November 27, 1917. On July 16, 1918,
he was commissioned first lieutenant in the Air Service, Aircraft Production.
During his service he directed the inspection of chemical supplies and material
for the Bureau of Aircraft Production.

GOURLEY, ROBERT LEE, was attached to the band at section base,
U. S. Naval Reserve Force, Sewell's Point Barracks, Cape May, N. J.

GRABE, GUSTAV HAROLD, enlisted June 4, 1917, as a sergeant
cliauft'eur in the Quartermaster Enlisted Reserve Corps, and was placed in
active service October 5, 1917, in the Reo Detachment, Quartermaster Corps,
Camp Lee, Va. He was commissioned second lieutenant. Quartermaster
Reserve Officers' Corps, October 2, 1918. He was discharged April 2, 1919.
After Lieutenant Grabe was commissioned he was made motor transport
officer of the camp supply office. Camp Lee.

GRAFFIUS, JOHN LYON, was a private in the 13th Company, Signal
Corps, 102nd Special Detachment, American Expeditionary Force, France.

GRAHAM, JOHN ELLIS, received the commission of second lieutenant
in Coast Artillery Corps, Fort Monroe, Va., and later was instructor in the
Coast Artillery School, Fort Monroe, Va.

GRAHAM, LYMAN DAVIS, entered the United States Navy as lieu-
tenant, junior grade, in September, 1917, and was first assigned to duty at
the Naval Training Station, Philadelphia, Pa., as instructor in navigation.
Upon his request for sea duty, he was assigned to the U. S. S. Rhode Island
as navigator, and shortly after transferred to the U. S. S. Hisko in the same
capacity. He was later assigned as navigating officer of the U. S. S. Lake
AVorth. This was a new ship and was engaged in carrying mines to the
U. S. Naval Base, Kyle of Loch Alsh, Scotland.

GRASS, SAMUEL A., served with the United States Army during the
World War.

GREENLESS, JOHN, attended the Cornell Ground School, Ithaca, N. Y.

GREGG, WILLIAM REESE, was engaged in Y. M. C. A. work at Fort
Monroe, Va.

HALL, EARL GORMAN, entered the First Reserve Officers' Training
Camp at Fort Niagara, N. Y., was commissioned second lieutenant and
ordered to Camp Meade, Md., where he was assigned to the 154th Depot
Brigade, 5th Battalion. On August 15, 1918, Lieutenant Hall was transferred
to the 808th Pioneer Infantry and assigned to Company K. He was promoted
to first lieutenant December 31, 1917.

Lieutenant Hall arrived at Brest, France, on September 8, 1918, and was
ordered to the Argonne front. The 808th was in reserve for two weeks,
when the entire regiment was assigned to the Chief Engineer, Headquarters

Online LibraryPennsylvania State College. Alumni AssociationPenn State in the world war → online text (page 21 of 52)