became an operator in Du Pont's woolen mills, on
Robert lived at home until he attained his twen-
tieth year, working on the farm, attending school, and
clerking in his father's store. He spent one year
at a Friends institution, at Wilmington, Delaware,
and later studied four years at West Geneva College,
in Logan county, Ohio, where he graduated in June,
1853, with the degree of A.M.
He next pursued a three years' course of study in
the Theological Seminary, at Alleghany, Pennsylva-
nia, uuder the auspices of the Associated Reformed
Presbyterian Church. He was licensed to preach
in the summer of 1855, and in the spring of the fol-
lowing year took the pastoral charge of the Associate
Reformed (subsequently the United Presbyterian)
Church. The organization was at that time very
small, constituting only a missionary field, but grad-
ually grew until it became self-sustaining, and in
1869 sent off a branch that is now known as the
United Presbyterian Church of Unity.
His church from the first maintained pronounced
anti-slavery principles, and from a membership of
one hundred and fifty sent forty-two into the army
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
during the war of the rebellion.
In August, 1862, Mr. McAyeal entered the service
as chaplain of the 33d Iowa Volunteer Infantry, but
at the end of one year, by reason of ill health, re-
signed and returned to his pastorate.
In political sentiment, he was a thorough aboli-
tionist. He attended the convention at Pittsburgh,
in the winter of 1854, upon the formation of the re-
publican party, and has since been identified with
After settling in Oskaloosa, Mr. McAyeal opened
a select school in connection with his church ; the
school was academic in its character, and very suc-
cessful. Five of his students have become minis-
ters of the gospel, and one of them is a missionary
During the past six or eight years he has been a
member of the school board of Oskaloosa, and dur-
ing that time the graded system has been introduced
into the schools, and an elegant school building
erected. He has been a constant and thorough stu-
dent, and has always taken an active interest in
educational matters. He was among the first to aid
in establishing the Monmouth College, and is at the
present time one of the directors of the same. In
June, 1875, that institution conferred upon him tlie
honorary degree of D.D.
Dr. McAyeal was married on the 2d of June, 1856,
to Miss Mary Ellen Sharpe, daughter of George W.
and Caroline R. Sharpe — the name of her mother,
originally Schneider, was changed to Snider. Mr.
Sharpe was editor of the Olentangg (afterward Dela-
ware) "Gazette," of Delaware, Ohio. He died in 1853,
and his widow now resides in Kansas.
Mrs. McAyeal's paternal grandparents, George and
Ann Sharpe, emigrated from England, and settled
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
at Cumberland, Maryland. Her maternal grandpar-
ents. Colonel Nicholas and Margaret Schneider, were
natives of Prussia ; they settled at Baltimore, where
he died in 1856, and she in 1857. He served as
colonel in the war of 18 12, and was for seventeen
years marshal of Maryland.
They have four children : Carrie Margaret, born
on the 9th of May, 1857, is now engaged in teach-
ing; Howard Shriver was born on the 8th of No-
vember, i860; Mary Louie was born on the i8th of
July, 1864, and Katie Cullier, on the i8th of Sep-
tember, 187 1.
Throughout his career Dr. McAyeal has been a
man of wide influence. He has fearlessly advocated
and maintained his principles, however unpopular,
and been true to his convictions of duty and right
regardless' of public opinion. A man of independ-
ent thought, he has by his pure and upright life
attracted many warm friends, and gained the confi-
dence and esteem of all with whom he has had to
do. He has been a man of the people, and to this,
together with the fact that he has been true to the
highest principles of honor and morality, may be
attributed his success in his life work.
HON. FRANK T. CAMPBELL,
FRANK TAYLOR CAMPBELL, lieutenant-
governor of Iowa, is a self-made man, and fur-
nishes another good illustration of the educating
power of the printing-office. He went to the case
when he was so young and small that he had to
stand in a chair to reach the type, and from that
date till of age he made a hand at the case, or was
alternately a pupil in the public schools, from which
source he drew his education. His father was a
publisher and editor; had five sons, who all became
typos and editors, and Frank seemed to take to the
printing-office as a duck takes to water. He has
served in all capacities from the carrier boy and
"printer's devil" to editor-in-chief, and while can-
vassing the state, in the fall of 1877, he met Ohio
people who reminded him of the time when, a very
small boy, he used to deliver the "Ripley Bee " once
a week at their door.
He is a native of Ripley, Ohio, and was born on
the 8th of May, 1836. His father, Charles F. Camp-
bell, was an attorney-at-law, probate judge, for many
years editor and proprietor of the " Ripley Bee," and
a very influential whig politician, dying at George-
town, Ohio, in 1864.
The Campbells were originally from Scotland.
The mother of Charles F. Campbell was an Alexan-
der, a sister of the late Archibald Alexander, of
Princeton College. The maternal grandmother of
Frank T. died in her ninetieth year from a fall down
the cellar stairs. She was left with eleven small
children on her hands, and maintained and reared
them by keeping a hotel. The Alexanders were
from the north of Ireland.
Having thoroughly learned the printer's trade, the
subject of this biography came to Newton, in April,
1858, a poor boy with no capital, and bought, on time,
a one-half interest in the Jasper county "Express,"
a republican newspaper, changing its name to "Free
Press," his brother, Angus K., soon after purchasing
the other half. Leaving this paper in charge of his
brother, in November, i860, Frank went to Monte-
zuma, bought the "Republican,'' was appointed post-
master, and managed the two offices until August,
1862, when he resigned the postoffice, sold out the
paper, enlisted as a private in the 28th regiment of
infantry, but in November following was commis-
sioned captain company C, 40th regiment, going to
the front in December, 1862. He was in the Vicks-
burg campaign, and in the expedition led by General
Steele against Little Rock, in 1863; in the Camden
expedition, a year later, distinguishing himself for
coolness and courage on more than one occasion,
and resigning in 1865.
In the spring of that year he became sole propri-
etor of the " Free Press," at Newton, and has since
made this place his steady home. . He conducted
the paper just mentioned until 1867, when he dis-
posed of it and went into the mercantile trade. In
1874 he started the Jasper county "Head Light,'-
conducting it for two years, still continuing his mer-
cantile business; sold out the paper in September,
1876, which had become one of the leading county
papers in Iowa, and now attends to mercantile traf-
fic only. While in journalism he was never satisfied
with making any but a first-class newspaper.
For eight years, ending December 31, 1877, Mr.
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Campbell was a member of the state senate, where
he was chairman of the committee on railroads, and
drew the original bill of the present Iowa railroad
tariff law, in 1874. He was on the committees of
ways and means, military, county and toAvnship or-
ganization, and one or two others. While in the
senate he did so much excellent work, and became
so popular, that in the summer of 1877 he was nomi-
nated by the republicans for the office of lieutenant-
governor, and was elected by a flattering majority.
His eight years' experience in the senate, together
with his careful study of parliamentary rules and his
native candor and urbanity of disposition, make him
a good presiding officer.
On the 10th of September, 1861, Miss Minerva
Dixon, of Newton, became the wife of Lieutenant-
Governor Campbell, and they have three children,
all boys. Both parents are members of the Meth-
odist Episcopal church, and earnest workers in many
a good cause.
Mr. Campbell is rather short and thick set, being
hardly five feet and seven inches tall, and weighing
one hundred and seventy-five pounds. He is open-
faced, frank, in a double sense, very cordial, yet
modest and unassuming, and a perfect gentleman.
Angus K. Campbell, the brother mentioned in this
sketch, is still a resident of Newton. He is an at-
torney-at-law, with a large practice; is one of the
regents of the State University, and a man of a good
deal of influence and usefulness. He has a wife
and eight children, and a delightful home in the
outskirts of the city.
HON. JOHN G. PATTERSON,
JOHN G. PATTERSON, one of the leading at-
J torneys in the Upper Cedar Valley, is a native
of Clinton county, Pennsylvania, and dates his birth
on the 3d of September, 1831. His parents were
Robert Patterson and Eleanor Bowere, both reared
on the frontier, and accustomed to hardships, not to
say perils. Some of the Bowerses were in the Indian
wars, and in girlhood Eleanor saw an uncle of hers
cut down and hacked to pieces with a tomahawk.
The Pattersons were originally from the north of
Ireland, and settled in Pennsylvania at an early day.
When John was two years old his father removed to
Seneca county, Ohio, where he, the third of a family
of sixteen children, grew up on a farm, with a grave
experience at solid work. His business, after be-
coming old enough to use an ax and farm tools, was
to aid in clearing and working leased lands — -the
best his father could do at that time. Late in life,
after a prolonged and serious struggle, by the aid of
his industrious sons, Robert Patterson became the
owner of a farm.
In youth John had few holidays or half-holidays;
had no experience in going to town, and indulging
in even an hour's social intercourse or innocent rec-
reation ; it was work, work, but he did not murmur
or complain. Up to eighteen he had had nothing
more than the education picked up in a log school-
house during the winter months. At that age he
started out, attending the Republic, Seneca county,
Academy, in the spring and autumn terms, teaching
in the winters and farming in the harvest time. This
he did until twenty-two, when, his father being sick,
he cheerfully gave a whole season to work at home.
In the autumn of 1854 Mr. Patterson, with ten
dollars in his pocket, commenced the study of law,
reading with Pennington and Lee, of Tiffin, Ohio ;
was admitted to the bar at that place in September,
1856, and on the 21st of the next June settled in
Charles City, where he is still engaged in legal pur-
In 1 861 he formed a partnership with S. B. Starr,
the firm of Starr and Patterson continuing till 1873,
when Mr. A. M. Harrison joined the firm, and is still
in it. It does an extensive legal and collecting bus-
iness, and is, in fact, the leading law firm in the
Mr. Patterson has bought and sold lands at times,
and owes his accumulations in a large measure to
his shrewdness and good luck in this line. He has
a farm of two hundred and twenty acres near town,
which is under excellent improvement, and which he
rents; has other lands in Floyd county; owns one-
half of the old homestead in Ohio, and one-fifth of
the stock of the Charles City Water Power Company,
of which he is secretary, and which has a capital of
one hundred thousand dollars. He is alive to every
interest of this city, and one of the foremost men in
devising means for its advancement.
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.
Mr. Patterson was elected state senator in the
autumn of 1863; was reelected in 1867 and served
eight years, or in four sessions. He was chairman
of the committee on township and county organiza-
tions three sessions; was on the judiciary committee
three sessions, and chairman of the railroad commit-
tee the last session. He was sent to the general
assembly especially to aid in securing a land grant
for a road on the forty-third degree of latitude;
worked with others unceasingly for that purpose, and
succeeded. Probably a more industrious man never
went to the legislature from Floyd county, and he
did himself great credit while in that body. As a
lawyer, he is equally industrious, and rarely relin-
quishes a case until it is won.
Mr. Patterson has always been a republican ; is a
member of the blue lodge, of Freemasons, and is
rather liberal in his religious views.
He was first married in 1856, to Miss Hester E.
A. Quiggle, of Pennsylvania. She had eight chil-
dren, and died in 1872, six of her children outliving
her. His present wife was Mrs. Sarah Smith McCann,
their union taking place in April, 1875. Two of the
older children have spent two or three years at the
State University, and all are being carefully ed-
Mr. Patterson has a solid build and a robust con-
stitution, or he might not have seen his forty-sixth
year. Through early hardships, and a serious strug-
gle with fortune in early married life, he has pushed
on, arriving at independence with a body, mind and
heart capable of enjoying it.
HON. JULIUS H. POWERS,
THE branch of the Powers family to which the
subject of this sketch belongs is old Vermont
stock. Hiram Powers, the sculptor, belongs to it,
and a genuis for this art seems to run in it, for Miss
Hosmer is related to it. Julius was born in Roches-
ter, Windsor county, Vermont, on the 22A. of May,
1830. His father, Alanson Powers, was a mason by
trade. His mother was Sarepta Martin, whose fam-
ily aided in gaining American independence. When
Julius was about six years old the family moved to
Portage county, Ohio, where the son attended a
district school until thirteen and then commenced
learning his father's trade. He followed it until
nineteen, working during the summers and attending
school in the winters, finishing his education at the
Kingsville Academy, Ashtabula county. At the age
of twenty he commenced teaching in Berlin (Erie
county) Academy, studying law at the same time
with Judge Taylor, of Milan, Huron county. At the
end of one year he went to Dayton and read two
years with M. B. Walker and Louis Gunkle, Walker
now being a judge in Texas, and Gunkle was a mem-
ber of the forty-third congress. During this period
he taught during part of the time to defray expenses,
as he had to depend entirely on his own resources
Mr. Powers spent a year in Texas, working at his
trade, laying the brick of the court-house and jail of
Bastrop county. Returning to Ohio, he attended the
law school at Cincinnati, where he was admitted to
the bar on' the 7th of April, 1855. During that year
he visited Allamakee county, Iowa, and, after pros-
pecting a short time, received intelligence of his
father's death and returned to Ohio. In May, 1857,
he again visited Iowa; opened an office at Forest
City, Chickesaw county, and removed to New Hamp-
ton in 1858, on the day that the county seat was
moved hither from Bradford. Mr. Powers was ap-
pointed deputy clerk that year, practicing law at the
same time and , still continuing the practice. He is
of the firm of Powers and Kenyon, the leading law
firm in the county.
He was chosen state senator in the autumn of
1859,- and was in the regular session of i860 and the
war session of 1861, resigning his office to go into
the military service. He enlisted as a private in the
7th Iowa Infantry, but was soon afterward appointed
captain of company I, of the 9th, and served until
April, 1862, when he was compelled by disability to
be mustered out. He has never fully recovered his
health. He has a large practice, however, attends
very carefully to his business, and as a lawyer has no
superior in the county.
Mr. Powers is an Odd-Fellow, and has passed all
the chairs in subordinate lodges. He is a republican,
and one of the leaders of the party in the county.
He is a Congregationalist, and one of the constitu-
I ent members of the New Hampton Church. He has
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARr.
been superintendent of the Sunday school for several
On the 31st of May, 1859, Miss Eugenia F. Steb-
bins, of Long Meadow, Massachusetts, became his
wife, and they have three children and have lost one
Mr. Powers is a stockholder and director of the
Bank of New Hampton ; was a leading man in get-
ting the McGregor and Sioux City railroad to this
town ; was attorney for the road in Chickesaw county
for some time, and is an influential and very useful
LEVI J. ALLEMAN, M. D.,
A MONG the younger class of physicians in Boone
Ix. county, Iowa, is Levi J. AUeman, who grad-
uated from a medical college before he was of age,
and whose entire time has since been given to his
profession. He is a native of Seneca county, New
York, the time and place of his birth being Fayette,
on the 12th of December, 1841. His father was
Jacob D. AUeman, a merchant tailor, and his moth-
er, Caroline Niess, both of German pedigree. His
paternal grandfather, who was born in this country,
was a soldier in the second strife with England.
Dr. AUeman worked on a farm in boyhood ; was
educated at the high school or academy in Water-
loo ; began to read medicine at seventeen years old
with Dr. O. S. Patterson, of Waterloo, in his native
county ; attended lectures in the medical depart-
ment of the University of New York city ; was ex-
amined and ready to graduate in 1862, but not
being of age did not receive his diploma until the
early part of the next year.
After practicing a few months with his preceptor
at Waterloo, Dr. AUeman went into the army in the
autumn of 1863 as assistant surgeon of the ist New
York Veteran Cavalry, and served in that capacity
until the regiment was mustered out in September,
1865. His two years' practice in surgery in the
tented field was a valuable experience to him, and
being a close student and thoroughly devoted to. his
calling, it is not surprising that he has a high stand-
ing in the profession.
At the close of the rebellion, on leaving the ser-
vice, Dr. AUeman came directly to Boone, then a new
town on a new railroad. The road has since pushed
on to California, and the nucleus of a village has
grown to a city of thirty-five hundred inhabitants.
The doctor is the oldest physician in years of prac-
tice here, and second to no one in the county in skill.
He is United States examining surgeon for pensions.
Dr. AUeman is a member of no church, but in-
clines to the Episcopal form of worship and tenets.
He has had two wives : the first was Miss Marga-
ret O'Neil, of Waterloo, New York ; married in 1866,
and dying in 1868, leaving one child, Harriet M.,
still living; his present wife was Miss Florence L.
Cohnan, of Boone ; married in 1870. They have had
three children, of whom two are still living.
PATRICK M. GUTHRIE,
PATRICK M. GUTHRIE, the treasurer of Car-
roll county, and for twenty-four years a resi-
dent of Iowa, is a native of Ireland, and was born in
the county of Clare on the i6th of October, 1830.
His parents were Matthew Guthrie, farmer, and Sa-
bina Stuart, both of Scotch descent, though natives
of Ireland. Patrick spent his early youth on the
farm ; from sixteen to eighteen was employed by the
British government on public works, keeping the
time of two thousand men, measuring their work and
paying them weekly; in 1848 came to the United
States, landing in New York city on the 4th of July ;
proceeded as far west as Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and,
after clerking there for a short time, was employed
as a foreman on the Michigan Southern and North-
ern Indiana railroad while it was being constructed.
Subsequently he took contracts on different railroads
in Illinois, so doing until the loth of October, 1854,
when he settled in Dubuque, Iowa. There he was a
contractor and builder for seven or eight years, put-
THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.
ting up some of the important public buildings, in-
cluding the city hall, erected in 1857. In 1859 and
i860 he was connected with Colonel H. H. Heath in
the publication of " The Northwest," a democratic
In 1862 Mr. Guthrie was elected city treasurer,
and held the ofifice by reflections five years. The
writer of this sketch was a citizen of Dubuque dur-
ing the period here referred to, and has no hesitation
in saying that a more faithful officer never disbursed
the funds of that city. At the close of his last term as
treasurer Mr. Guthrie made an abstract of the titles
in Dubuque county, managed that business for three
years, and in 1871 moved to Carroll, the seat of jus-
tice of Carroll county, where he engaged in the real-
estate business with Mr. T. L. Bowman, the firm
name being Guthrie and Bowman. In this enter-
prise they have been very successful, having sold
upward of half a. million acres of land in the coun-
ties of Carroll, Sac and Calhoun, being the agents
of the Iowa Railroad Loan Company. They have
opened an office at Lemars, in order to settle up
Plymouth county, and Mr. Bowman superintends that
office. As a dealer in lands, as in all other business
transactions, Mr. Guthrie is candid, straightforward
and reliable. His coming to Carroll county marked
an epoch in its history. He brought others with him
from Dubuque county, and by his fair dealings and
easy terms of payments has induced many industri-
ous men to settle on wild lands in western Iowa. He
is an eminently useful citizen of Carroll county, and
his popularity is well merited.
Mr. Guthrie was elected treasurer of Carroll coun-
ty in 1875, and now holds that office.
In politics, he was reared a democrat, and has
never voted any other ticket.
In religion, he was born in the Catholic church,
and firmly adheres to the faith of his ancestors. In
moral and christian character his standing is highly
Mr. Guthrie has been a married man since the 9th
of June, 1862, his wife being Miss Emma Mahar, of
Galena, Illinois. They have four boys living and
have lost five children.
HON. W. M. WILSON,
THE subject of this sketch was born at Greens-
boro, North Carolina, on the 23d of April,
1838. His father's name was R. D. Wilson. He
was born on the 15th of May, 1805, at the same
place ; was a graduate of a scholastic institution.
His mother was born at the same place on the 12th
of April, 1811. His father was a farmer. He re-
moved from Greensboro in 185 1 to Henry county,
Indiana, where he resided for about two years, and
then removed to Mahaska county, Iowa.
W. M. Wilson commenced going to a high school
at Oskaloosa, Iowa, and continued there from 1857
to i860. He had belonged to a militia company
while at the high school, and had been elected a
first lieutenant and subsequently a captain in this
organization. On the government's second call for
three hundred thousand men, the quota of the State
of Iowa -had been filled when he made his requisi-
tion for authority to raise a company, and he there-
upon, without waiting to graduate from the high
school, volunteered as a private, and was mustered
into company D, ist Iowa Cavalry, in which he
served as a private for nearly two years, and was
then promoted to a corporal. He continued in the
service for two years and eleven months, when, from
sickness, he was relieved from active duty and de-
tailed to act as drill-sergeant of raw recruits. He
had the captaincy of two commands offered him at
this time, but his health failing him he was ulti-
mately mustered out of the service at Davenport,
Iowa, on the 13th of September, 1864.
In the spring of 1865 he married Miss Martha
Fleming, of Warren county, Iowa, where he bought
a small farm and commenced its cultivation. Dur-
ing that summer he bought a half interest in a saw-
mill located on a part of his farm, and in the suc-
ceeding fall bought the remaining half interest in
this mill, which he continued to run until 1866. In
the fall of that year he commenced to read law in
the office of P. Likes, of Warren county, Iowa. Mr.
Likes at this time had formed a copartnership with
a Mr. Cheney at Osceola, but continued his resi-
dence in Warren county and practiced in both
places. Mr. Wilson therefore continued to read
law in this office, and was admitted to the bar at