pub American Biographical Publishing Company.

The United States biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self made men. Iowa volume online

. (page 18 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

eral Thomas H. Benton, accepting a command in the
volunteer army. The honor and the duties which
he then received and discharged were increased,
and made more obligatory in 1863 by his election
as grand master. He was reelected for the' two fol-
lowing terms, and thus managed the affairs of the
Grand Lodge of Iowa for nearly four years. Refer-
ence has been made, so far, to Dr. Guilbert's ma-
sonic career under the power of the Grand Lodge
of Iowa. But passing the higher branches of that
body, he has for more than ten years been exalted
to many other important stations. He has served
eight years as the high priest of Dubuque Royal
Arch Chapter, composed of more than a hundred
companions; seven years as eminent commander
of Siloam Comraandery, of more than fifty knights
templar; also for five years as the "Thrice Illustri-
ous " of Dubuque Council No. 3. His connection
with the Grand Chapter began some years ago, and
he is now its grand high priest. He was the ac-
cepted orator before several of the grand bodies
named on the annual conventions.



Dr. Guilbert has been a voluminous writer of
masonic literature. His reports on foreign corre-
spondence, and other reports and papers, presented
to the four grand bodies in Iowa, including his
orations, addresses and official reports in the sub-
ordinate branches, would comprise about three
thousand printed pages of the size used in the
annual masonic publications. But his highest liter-
ary standing is as a masonic journalist. It seems
surprising that he could, in twenty years, accom-
plish the work he has done, sometimes under dis-
advantages that would have discouraged anyone
less ambitious and less persevering, and at the same -
time discharge the duties of an arduous profession
requiring almost constant attention. Though there
were perhaps twenty masonic journals in the United
States, the craft in the western states, and especially
in Iowa, felt the need, as Dr. Guilbert did, of an
additional magazine to advance the interests of the
order. He accordingly edited and published the
" Evergreen " at Dubuque for three years. It was
said to have been better edited than any other
masonic journal in the northwest. He sold his in-
terest in 1 87 1 to persons in another city. While
under the editorship of Dr. Guilbert and published
at Dubuque, it was an efficient means of promulgat-
ing the theory and practice of true Masonry. Had
such a writer as the founder -of the " Evergreen "
devoted his exclusive work for the last twenty-five
years to any other department of literature, he
would have distinguished himself more than he has
in the various fields of his masonic work. He has
also been professional lecturer in the homoeopathic
colleges of Cleveland, St. Louis and Chicago. And
yet another field occupied for a time the attention
of this energetic and industrious young man.

In the war of the rebellion he was appointed
surgeon of the board of enrollment for the third
congressional district of Iowa, and discharged the
responsible duties of that position from 1862 to
1865. But his patriotic nature and zealous spirit
shunned no toil or responsibility, either in fraternal
labor for the order he has so loved and adorned,
or in the duties of a citizen or an officer to pro-
mote the welfare of his country. During the war
he gave his influence to encourage enlistments for
the volunteer service, and was chosen captain of
company A, of the 46th Iowa Infantry. In that
capacity he passed five months in the military field-
service in western Tennessee. He is thus properly
included in that roll of honor which will be em-



iiS



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY.



balmed in the history of America as a record of
our national progress and political preservation. It
has been by the utmost industry, the most rigidly
correct business and personal habits, and also the
constant watchfulness in economizing every hour
of time, that he has been able to do such an amount
of work. Of course he is not rich, for no man of
such benevolent and self-sacrificing nature can ever
acquire more than a moderate competence.

Having been successful in his profession, he suc-
ceeded in 1876 in establishing an institution in
Dubuque, known as the Northwestern Sanitarium,
with a view to afford medical and surgical relief
to that class of patients who might not be able to
secure proper treatment from local physicians, and
to prevent the necessity of long journeys to more
distant hospitals. He had cherished this design
for years, and the accomplished fact is another evi-
dence of his perseverance in relation to any good
object.

Dr. Guilbert's mental activity and enduring phys-
ical organization appear to be derived from his
nativity, in a happy and fortunate mixture of three
nationalities — those of Wales, England and Hol-
land. The English evidently predominates, and
hence he may with propriety be considered an
English-American of the second or third genera-



tion. His literary tastes he has inherited from his
mother, a woman of noble character and of great
culture, whose love of letters as a writer would
have secured her distinction had she chosen to
have entered that field. His father was an emi-
nent mason, a devoted christian, and is still living
at Waukegan, Illinois.

With a fine, manly form, in good proportions,
and with regular features, a genial manner and at-
tractive conversational powers, with the gift of elo-
quence, it is not to be wondered at that he is popu-
lar with all his masonic brethren, and also his
fellow-citizens. Of such a man as Dr. Guilbert,
it is not fulsome praise to say that he is an honor
to the time in which he lives. He fills no polit-
ical office, nor seeks the empty applause of the
populace ; but he does his life-duty day by day
and from year to year; and may he long be spared
to be loved by the members of the order for which
he has done so much, to be highly respected in
the learned profession in which he has practiced
for a quarter of a century, and be esteemed by his
fellow-christians and citizens, who may yet become
his personal acquaintances. Few men, when they
pass from earth, will leave behind them a higher
character, a better reputation, or a brighter example
of pure life than Dr. Edward Augustus Guilbert.



LEVI FULLER, M.D.,

WEST UNION.



DR. LEVI FULLER is the son of Elijah Fuller,
a farmer, and was born in- Tioga county,
Pennsylvania, on the 14th of August, 1824. He
spent his early years in aiding his father in clear-
ing and cultivating land, having, meantime, limited
means for mental discipline. He had a taste for
study, and a partiality for medical books, and at
eighteen, with the permission of his father, struck
boldly out for himself with more ambition than
means. He studied medicine at Newcastle, in his
native state, and commenced practice in 1845. He
practiced nine or ten years east of the Mississippi,
seven of them at Rock Grove, Stephenson county,
Illinois, and in April, 1854, removed to West Union,
Iowa, where we still find him, but not in the medical
practice. After being in the state about two years,
the "openings" in other professions or lines of
business became so numerous and so tempting that



he abandoned his profession altogether. He gave
his attention to real estate, eventually became a
broker, and as a business man has proved eminently
successful. He was, for a short time, in the hard-
ware traffic, but his most profitable ventures have
been made in buying and selling land. A few years
ago he went into the business of banking, purchasing
the West Union Bank, which he and his son man-
aged for two or three years, when they sold it to
S. B. Zeigler. It was eventually merged in the
Fayette County National Bank.

Dr. Fuller represented Fayette county in the
ninth general assembly, it being the session of 1862,
a dark hour in our annals, and Governor Kirkwood
found in him not only a true patriot but an efficient
worker and wise cooperator. While at the capital.
Dr. Fuller received a commission as surgeon of the
36tli Infantry, but, before joining the regiment, Pres-



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



119



ident Lincoln sent him a commission as internal
revenue collector of the third district of Iowa, a po-
sition which he held for three years, and the dutieS
of which he discharged with perfect satisfaction.

In 1874 Dr. Fuller was one of the commissioners
appointed by the executive to distribute the fifty
thousand' dollars appropriated by the state to relieve
the sufferers by the grasshoppers in northwestern
Iowa.

He is much interested in the educational enter-
prises of the county, and was for several years presi-
dent of the board of trustees of the upper Iowa
University, located at Fayette. His heart is in
every local movement which will in any way benefit
the people. He has laid out three additions to West
Union, and is rightly regarded as one of the " nurs-
ing fathers " and most active upbuilders of the
place.

Dr. Fuller is a Master Mason. In politics, he was
a whig until the republican party came into being,
since which time he has acted with the latter. His



religious connection is with the Methodist Episcopal
church, in which he is a prominent layman.

In May, 1845, he married Miss J. E. Tipton, of
Centre county, Pennsylvania, the fruit of this union-
being three children, two of them promising daugh-
ters, who died in early life. William E. Fuller, the
son, to whom we have already referred, is one of the
leading young attorneys-at-law in West Union, with
a family of his own. He is the present member of
the general assembly for Fayette county. It seems
to be a family of legislators, Dr. Fuller coming of
good stock. His father formerly represented Keene
in the New Hampshire legislature, and his maternal
grandfather, Hezekiah Newcomb, was a member of
the Massachusetts legislature for fifteen consecutive
years.

Dr. Fuller is a prudent and careful financier, full
of public spirit, aiding -in all enterprises which ad-
vance the interests of the town, county or state, and
is benevolent in his feelings, promptly responding
to the calls of the needy.



ALEXANDER BLACK,

KEOKUK.



THE subject of this sketch is the eldest son of
the late Alexander Black, a native of Camp-
beltown, Scotland ; he was born at Millroy, in the
vicinity of the famous Giant's Causeway, in county
Antrim, Ireland, on the 13th of March, 1843; his
father, who died on the 5th of September, 1872, was
a commanding officer in Her Britannic Majesty's
coast-guard service; his mother, whose maiden name
was Sarah Lott, was a native of Devonshire, Eng-
land ; two of his"brothers are superintending engi-
neers in the British postal-telegraph service, and at
present stationed respectively in Glasgow and Edin-
burgh, Scotland.

Mr. Black received a liberal education in various
parts of Ireland and England where his father was
from time to time stationed, and early showed an
aptitude for mechanics, mathematics and drawing;
he was first put into a writer's office in Campbel-
town, and afterward into a landed estate office in
Ireland, but his preferences for mechanics and
architecture predominating, he determined to devote
himself exclusively to architecture, and accordingly
studied his profession in an architectural office in
London, England, where he received a theoretical



as well as practical education. His experience in
several parts of Great Britain and Ireland caused
him to become dissatisfied with his slow mediocre
professional prospects (an extensive influential family
connection being essential to professional success,
owing to the restraints of a stern professional eti-
quette), and being desirous of seeing the new world,
he determined to transfer his professional pursuits
to America. He accordingly immigrated to Ottawa,
Canada, in May, 187 1, but finding there only a lim-
ited field of professional operations, shortly after
the memorable Chicago fire of October 9, 187 1, he
opened an office at the corner of Madison and Clark
streets, Chicago, in partnership with another archi-
tect, under the firm name of Hansen and Black.
The firm had a considerable architectural practice,
having designed and superintended the erec.tion of
several store, residence and church buildings in
Chicago, and also in the suburban towns of Engle-
wood. South Englewood, South Evanston, Highland
Park, Park Ridge, Vicar Park, etc. He did not sub-
mit designs in the Chicago city hall and county
court-house architectural competition, wisely Judg-
ing that not merit but money would be the crite-



I20



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONART.



rion of successful competition with the city council
and county commissioners; the scandalous develop-
ments which have since been revealed in connection
with that municipal complication has far exceeded
his worst anticipations.

In the fall of 1874, in consequence of the previous
commercial panic having seriously impaired build-
ing operations in Chicago, he determined to accept
the invitation of friends to remove his headquarters
to Keokuk, which had then taken a new departure
in building. His first design there was for the hand-
some new Jewish synagogue now being completed
under his superintendence, and, being the first Jew-
ish synagogue erected in the State of Iowa, Keokuk
naturally takes pride in the enterprise of her He-
brew citizens.

During the building season of 1875 he designed
the plans of Catholic churches in Warsaw and Car-
thage, Illinois, also for a Presbyterian church at
Vinton, Iowa, for Parsons College chapel, the First
National Bank building, and several handsome busi-
ness houses in Fairfield, for Draper and Zachary's
bank building at Prairie City, a county court-house
at Columbus Junction, also a handsome design for
the proposed new edifice for St. John's Episcopal
church, Keokuk, besides many other smaller build-
ings. He has also been entrusted with the design-
ing of a handsome ashlar building at Centerville,
for the Farmers' National Bank in connection with



a drug store, — a masonic hall is to occupy the en-
tire third story of the joint building; he has also
bfeen engaged to design several handsome business
houses and private residences in Keokuk and Cen-
terville, to be erected in the course of the approach-
ing building season. His improved scientific meth-
ods of construction, based on practical mathematical
investigation, instead of on the usual empirical and
rule-of-thumb methods of the less cultivated pro-
fessors of his art, and his cultured artistic treatment
of his designs, coupled with an honorable and reli-
able practice of his profession, has gained for him
the appreciation and friendship of his patrons, many
of whom are among the prominent men in the states
of Iowa and Illinois.

While a resident of Chicago he became a mem-
ber of the Illinois St. Andrew's Society. He and his
immediate relatives (all of whom reside in Scotland
and England, he being the only member of his
family in America) are English Episcopalians.

His political views have been English conserva-
tive ; he does not sympathize with American Repub-
licanism under the present administration, and still
less does he have any democratic proclivities.

In the winter of 1874-5 he made an extended
visit to Rochester, Albany, New York city, Philadel-
phia, Baltimore, Washington, etc., with the view of
familiarizing himself with all the peculiarities of
American architecture in these cities.



LINDLEY S. BUTLER,



NORTHWOOD.



A MONO the rising young men of northern Iowa
iV is Lindley Schooley Butler, of Worth county.
At twenty-six years of age he received an impor-
tant appointment by the state executive, and an
indorsement of that appointment at the hands of
the people.

Mr. Butler is an Ohioan, and was born at Salem,
Columbiana county, on the 31st of May, 1846. His
parents were Moses V. and Emily Schooley Butler,
and before Lindley was six months old they moved
to Iowa, locating at Springdale, Cedar county, where
the son spent his youth at the common school and
the Friends' Seminary, following the same with a
course of instruction at a commercial college in
Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1864. That year he re-
turned to Iowa, and in 1868 read law with Hon.



Rush Clark, of Iowa City, soon afterward connect-
ing himself with the law departa»ent of the State
University, and graduating in June, 1869. The
same month he was admitted to the bar of the
supreme court. He moved immediately to North-
wood, Worth county, and opened a law office in
August. To the practice of law he soon added
the business of real estate, and both branches of
business grew rapidly upon his hands. In land
operations he has usually had a partner, devoting
his own time exclusively to the practice of the law,
and the firm of Butler, Smith and Pickering pros-
ecute an extensive business in loan and collecting
as well as real estate.

In the autumn of 1872 Mr. Butler was appointed,
by Governor Carpenter, to fill a vacancy in the



THE UNITED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARr.



2 1



office of district attorney for the twelfth judicial
district, consisting of eight counties, and in No-
vember of the same year he was elected by the
people to the same office for a term of four years.
He has legal qualifications eminently fitting him
for such an office, and few men of his age in the
state have succeeded better.

On the 23d of November, 1869, he was married



to Miss Julia A. Pickering, of Springdale, according
to the ceremony of the Friends, to which society
both parties belong. They have two children.

Mr. Butler belongs to the Masonic order; and
in politics he has always been a republican.

He is an industrious and very active man, and
very few men of his age in Iowa have lield as high
a- position.



-SAMUEL T. DAVIS,
sroux ciTr.



SAMUEL TAIT DAVIS was born in Meadville,
Pennsylvania, on the isth of August, 1828. His
parents were George and Eliza Reichard Davis, his
father being of Irish and his mother of German
descent. The family lived in Meadville until Sam-
uel was eleven years of age. During the last year
there he attended the academy. At the age men-
tioned the family moved to a farm in the woods, in
Mercer county, where the son spent nine or ten
years, aiding in clearing up and improving the land,
attending school and teaching. He had a strong
desire for knowledge, was especially fond of mathe-
matics, and sometimes worked problems in algebra
on the moldboard of the plow, using pencils of soap-
stone found on the farm.

At twenty-one Mr. Davis entered the preparatory
department of Allegheny College, Meadville ; took
an irregular course, studying such branches as he
thought would be most serviceable to him as a
business man, and left the institution while in the
sophomore class, in the autumn of 1852. He be-
came principal of Greenville Academy, then very
much run down, and in a short time brought it up
to a high standard. But Mr. Davis had the prac-
tice of law in view, and before the end of two years
left the academy and began to study with Hon.
David Derickson, of Meadville. He was admitted
to the bar of Mercer county in the autumn of 1855.
The entire means for his education, scientific and
legal, were obtained by his own exertions.

Starting westward, he spent a few months in ex-
plorations in Wisconsin and Iowa, locating perma-
nently in Sioux City, in February, 1856. The archi-
tectural features of the village then consisted of eight
cabins and two tents, with a land office just opened.
To the legal profession Mr. Davis added the real-
estate business, and to these two branches he has



devoted his attention for twenty years, most of the
time making real estate a specialty, and being \er\
successful. Meanwhile he has been deeply inter-
ested in everything which would build up Sioux
City and this part of the country, exhibiting great
energy. During the last eight or nine years he has
been engaged in bringing railroads into his ad.opted
home, spending more time, probably, in this direc-
tion, with a single exception, than any other man in
the place. He, with other enterprising men, organ-
ized the original Sioux City and St. Paul Railway
Company; and he originated the scheme of the
Pembina railroad, connecting the waters of the Red
River of the North and Hudson's Bay with tKe Gulf
of Mexico by a road running through Sioux City.
He organized the Sioux City and Columbus road,
the forerunner of the present Covington, Columbus
and Black Hills railway, to form a connecting link
with the line of roads from Lake Superior through
Sioux City to the Union Pacific. He also aided
in projecting and starting the Northern Nebraska
railroad, which has since become a portion of the
Covington, Columbus and. Black Hills road, and
which is completed as far as Ponca. Mr. Davis was
instrumental in getting the shops of the Sioux City
and St. Paul company located here, and has done
much at different times to encourage local manufac-
tories. He is at this time the proprietor of one or
two such enterprises. In the autumn of 1875 he
was appointed general manager of the Sioux City
and Pembina road and secretary of the company,
as such having charge of the building of the com-
pleted portion of the road. A few months ago he
opened a broker's office in connection with the law,
with the intention of giving his entire time to these
two branches of business.

The year he located in Sioux City A[r, Davis was



122



THE UN/TED STATES BIOGRAPHICAL DICTlONART.



elected prosecuting attorney of the county, and
served one term. He was register of the land office
eighteen months under President Lincoln ; was
chosen state senator in 1868, to fill a vacancy; was
chosen mayor of the city in 1871, and served one
year, and at different times has been city attorney.

Mr. Davis was a democrat until the fall of Sum-
ter; since then he has been a republican. He, with
others, started the " Sioux City Journal," a strong
republican paper, and he was its editor a short time.
He has written largely for the press, mainly in fur-
therance of railroads and other important enter-
prises. He attends the Presbyterian church.



On the 9th of February, 1859, Mr. Davis married
Miss Jane A. Putnam, of Sioux City. They have
had six children, five still living. Their home is on
one of the highest points in the city, and has a com-
manding and beautiful view of the Missouri river
and valley and of the city.

Mr. Davis has great vital force; gives all his
strength to whatever work he undertakes, and pros-
ecutes it with a zeal bordering on enthusiasm. He
has made his impress on the city of his adoption
and the surrounding country, and his name will ever
be gratefully remembered in connection with the
rise and progress of Sioux City.



HON. CHARLES J. ROGERS,

DUBUQUE.



OF all the different professions, none afford
. greater opportunity for the development of
native ability than that of the law ; for here one is
led into investigation of subjects most vital to the
interests of his fellows, and may, if he will, become
versed in the grandest questions of his country and
state. Such thoughts naturally arise as we study
the lives of men such as him whose name heads this
sketch.

Charles James Rogers was born at Sandy Hill,
Washington county, New York, on the 6th of De-
cember, 1830, and is the son of Hon. Charles and
Susan A. Rogers, the latter the daughter of Dr. Rus-
sell Clark, a prominent physician of Sandy Hill,
New York. His father was a noted politician, and
served for several terms as member of the general
assembly of New York, and represented the Wash-
ington and Essex district in congress for a number
of years. He was a man of influence and learning
and much loved by his constituents.

The great-grandfather of the subject of our sketch
was a colonel in the revolutionary war, and they
trace their family lineage from John Rogers, who
suffered martyrdom at the stake at Smithfield in
1555, during the reign of Mary of England. At
the burial-ground of the old homestead at Moreau,
Saratoga county. New York, lie entombed his an-
cestors for generations. He prepared for college at
the Troy Conference Academy, West Poultney, Ver-
mont, remaining about three years, and at Glenn
Falls, New York, one year, entering Union College
in the sophomore year in 1848. He remained here



three years, and graduated third on the Phi-Beta-
Kappa roll in 185 1. He was honored by being one
of the marshals of the day at commencement, and